Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    RS1157...Squeaking from the front could be a number of things... it could be a warped disk, bad U-joints, or it might be a bad CV ball joint in the front driveshaft or the ones on either axle shaft. There could be other things causing this problem, but these are the ones I would check out first, especially the last two.

BAMATAZZ... I have had problems playing burned CD's in my Jeep, although my girlfriend has not had any problems in her's. It's just that my player doesn't seem to recognize the first track so it doesn't play, or if it does it takes a REALLY long time and you can't switch tracks or it will stop playing.

JTHURLOW...I really can't say much about the first question other than go around and wiggle stuff and see if it makes a clicking noise, then you could figure out if there is a loose weld.
    As for the second question... It is fairly common for the Jeeps to have difficulty refueling. The servicing hose drops at a steep angle right after the servicing port so it causes gas to splash on the pump nozle shutting it off. Both my girlfriend's jeep and mine have this problem. Just stick the nozle in untill it clears the port and can support it's own weight, about 1/4 to 1/2 in. Then you should be able to pump as fast as it will... Just play around with it for a while.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    You are right about the heat in the FT. Hood area, and a black TJ is not even being considered. Am considering Amber Fire or Sienna at this time. I like the yellow, but I am old fashioned and still like the more subdued colors out in the woods even in packs and tents.

If you remember the old military Jeeps then your bones must be as old as mine. Good to hear that the Wrangler is comfortable enough for a 3000 mile trip. Mine will not be an every day driver and my long trips will be maybe 700 or 800 miles round trip. I also am planning on using mine for
    pulling a small dual axle stock trailer 2 or 3 times a year to Gatesville (do you remember that town). Have you had any experience towing with yours?

Are you still running stock 30 inch tires? I plan on ordering the Canyon group so I can get the bigger wheels for later tire changes and also get the Dana 44. I look at the tread on the Canyon group tires and I think that I will need a more aggressive tread. Who knows, maybe I will never even go off road, but I doubt that.

I am going to go with the soft top since I seem to be running out of storage as it is (three stall car port, 3 sheds, and a small barn). When the TJ is brought home, my Dakota is going to have to sit under the trees.
  • cptsteamcptsteam Member Posts: 12
    I am going to change out the 30 inch tire right after I get the jeep of the dealers lot....and go to a 31 inch.........in time I will do a 1-2inch body or suspension lift to givew em a little breathing room. Quetion is what tire is best in the snow and for moderate offroad use? I like the BFG AT KO and the Goodyear MT/R.........but I can't decide which! are the MT/R than much louder...are the that much worse in the snow/ice? How much more off road traction with the MT/Rs give you over the BFG AT? I live in the desert and so don't plan to go in the mud mutch.

Thanks
    Joe
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    a 1" BL will clear 31's without rubbing... As far as tires, it just depends on what you want to do... I have the MTR's in the 33" size... They are an INCREADABLE trail/rock/sand tire, although they are not that good in the mud... snow I had no problem. They really arn't that loud on the road. I HIGHLY suggest these if you plan on doing any sort of rock crawling at all. The AT KO's are a decent tire but alot of people on the other boards as well as what I have seen in person, they don't do terribly great on the trails in any sort of wet condition. They are great on dry rock and would probably be perfect in the sand. I guess I'm just biased to the MTR's because they really are a great tire except for mud. Oh, and as far as ice, nothing saves you on that except chains... but taking it slow and steady I did just fine in 2wd.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    I've towed a bit over the limit, but it was a tandem axle trailer and I was real careful not to hit the brakes hard. The Wrangler is pretty heavy on its own, and I'm sure the drivetrain can easily handle the weight. The only thing I would be careful of is jacknifing.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Ah, names from the past. I vaguely remember Gatesville - isn't that the small town north of N. Ft. Hood? If so, I remember hauling a full 4 horse gooseneck trailer behind a beat up chevy pickup through there and more or less running a red light because I was going just too fast to stop without throwing the horses around! I think I was on my way to Waco for a horse show. I left Texas in '86, so I would imagine that it is all changed now. I have very fond memories of both Ft. Hood and "Ft. We-gotcha" in "Sorry Vista."

I've never towed anything with the Jeep so can't address your concerns. I do know someone in Texas who hauled an Arab in a light 2 horse stock trailer behind a Toyota pickup (pre-Tacoma days), so if she could do it with that, why not with a Wrangler? Others are better able to address this...

I have continued with 30" tires, but I replaced the Goodyears with Bridgestone Dueller ATs, same size. I do wander around with just a map quite often. Since the mileage on the map is how I navigate mostly, I wanted to make sure that my odometer remains accurate - getting lost many miles from civilization isn't always fun. I find the Dueller ATs have much better traction than the Goodyears - its noticable everywhere - roads, snow and trails. They don't look as good as the BFGs, and since I've never had the BFGs, I don't know which would be better performing.

I have a hard top only, and it works out best for my needs. I've never taken it off because I don't have a garage, and it seems like most of the time I either need lots of A/C or heating. Also I have doubts about a soft top putting up with a 3 foot dump of snow in one night (something that happened here last year). Maybe if I get a second one I'll go with the soft top... On the other hand, a soft top is better in the wind (unless its a sand storm) and I remember it could be windy quite often in Copperas Cove! And I hear the new soft tops are MUCH better than they were.
    Thanks for the info. The TJ is only about a 100 pounds lighter than the Dakota that I use to tow with now. I am not sure about the Dakota wheel base so I will be taking it easy when I finally get my Wrangler.
    I've seen pictures of snow, but that is about it. I did actually have to drive in it one time while in KY. Had my CJ and locked the hubs and put in 4H. It was a white knuckle trip the whole way.

Gatesville is the town you remember. I have not been to the Jeep dealer up there, but have been to Temple and Lampassas. I have tried to look at vehicles in Killeen on two occasions and have yet to talk to a sales person. Lampassas had the better prices.
    What is a 1 inch BL? Is that a body lift or a spacer for the wheel? I think I will get the tires now and then go with a 2 inch high quality suspension lift when I get the ching. I just need to get the tire now while the stock ones are new. What yah think about the new BFG Muds? The goodyears look cooler for sure....but my biggest concern is NOISE......s guy today said he went from BFG AT to GY MTR and it was the same sound or quieter! That sounds un believable....
    From what people are saying the new GY MTR sound like a better tire than the new BFG Muds.

As for mud.....I live in the Southwest so I am lucky there....outside of mountain trails and streams.......and the beach at the lake I am oka.

Some one said that the bigger tread of the mud terrains will dig easier into the sand/powder dirt (of which we have alot YUKE!) than the BFG AT.....anyone know if this is ture?

Thanks...

Joe

............still waiting for my first ever jeep to be built....... :-(
    As I remember, car dealers in Killeen (or for that matter, Sierra Vista and Fayetteville) are terrible. I definitely overpaid when I bought a Nissan there (didn't know much about buying cars in those days). You might try Austin also. When I first moved to that area it was all rural on the back road to Austin - nothing but ranch from Lampassas to well below Leander. When I left Austin suburbs had moved passed Leander! I suppose they are now close to the more or less ghost town of Briggs.

I remember occasional snow in Copperas Cove. It wouldn't be much, and only once or twice a year, but it sure messed up the roads there! I always thought it was kind of fun, except for breaking up the ice in the water buckets for the horses...
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I think you'll be happy with the TJ. I was surprised at how well it rode (or how unpoorly it rode!). I had low expectations because I rode in a friend's YJ. Big difference. After a trip to Albany (3 hours each way) to help me get a hard top, he is thinking about a TJ.

I would avoid the steps, as most Jeepers take them off for off roading. You'd be better served by an aftermarket product which acts as a step, or better yet, leave a step stool in your garage or drive. There are also handles you can get for the "roll" bar to help her get in.
    I towed my 1500# boat, but not on the highway (yet).

No problems whatsoever. Felt like it was hardly even there.
    A LeCar safer than a Jeep?

I don't get it.
    My 92 Civic had the same problem. It was almost embarrasing when big cars and trucks filled up faster than me.
    Have you been greasing everything properly?

It wouldn't hurt to do that first.
    I'd also recommend the stock wheels and tires for now. If you want to upgrade, it is cheaper to do it aftermarket ($29-39 for the most popular steel wheels). The Dana 44 is a good thing to get up front, though.
    I have the BFG AT's in 31 inch.

So far, they have been good in the snow (so good, I only needed 4wd to get started on a hill).

I might get a no slip locker at some point for driving to ski areas in blizzards, and for towing the boat out of muddy ramps, etc.
    I have so far done:

31X10.5 BFG AT

3/4 in Daystar poly spring spacers front & rear

Tomken receiver hitch for pulling boat

throttle body spacer

Polk front speakers (plan on 6 1/2" for sound bar)

homemade dog harness (web strap with carabiner to
    clip into her store-bought harness so she can go
    from side to side in back, but not jump out)

purchased used hard top for $650 and one Saturday (and food and beer for my friend)

I have, but have not yet installed, some Cibie E-code headlamps, which are supposed to blow away the Hella and "competitors". I don't feel like running the wiring for aftermarket lights, and want to keep it stock looking.

plans:
    researching lift kits. Possibly Old Man Emu (said to have best ride)

after a lift kit, and when current tires wear out, I plan on adding some Denman Coyote or Buckshot Mudder (http://www.louisville4x4.com/buckshot_radial.htm) maybe 275/85R15. I want some extra height without the width that most 33" tires have.

I might put some cheapo $19 "fog" lights on the back for use when doing boat stuff at night (hooking up to trailer, ...) and also could come in handy for backing down trails in the dark.

I want to put in a stereo. Am considering the Jensen 615 with CD player because it has big clunky buttons and uses the full space Chrysler gives for the stereo (if an aftermarket stereo would fit with a 1/2 height "well" for small items like wallet, license, mints, change, etc. I'd do that, but haven't seen such as of yet).

Might do mirror relocator kit for like $24-26.

Will put a performance exhaust when current one needs replacing.

Might put a CB under the seat with magnetic antenna.

!!!Looking for ideas for a receiver ski rack. I was thinking I might make a hand-hewn one out of wood.!!!
    The CJ did not go to Germany, but a LeCar did. Neither one would have worked out on the autobahn, but I am glad that I did not have the CJ. With the Jeep I would have been trying to push it as fast as possible and I would have ended up being road pizza. The LeCar couldn't go fast enough to hurt you.

In three years I think I saw one Jeep registered to a German. The way they manage their forests, you would have had no place to run off road.

Got rid of the LeCar along with the wife and got an 800 CC BMW motorcycle. I think it had close to the same horsepower as the LeCar.

Thanks for the info on towing your boat. I do have some concerns about towing in the 1500 to 2000 pound area while on the road. I know they are rated at 2000 pounds, but I look at the wheel base and wonder about how squirrelly things could get. The trailer has a 10 foot wheel base and I think about three feet on the tongue.

Don't have the TJ yet, but I am going to go with the Canyon group to get the bigger wheels for later on with other tires. I need tires for mud and then sand. I don't plan on any rock crawling and I don't know what snow is. I want that Dana 44 for later.

Do you void your entire warranty if you do a lift kit or does it only affect your suspension parts? Any ideas?
    I doubt you'd void the warranty with a lift, but save the original parts, and you could always go back.

I STRONGLY recommend against the canyon wheels if cost is a factor. You can do much better for 1/4 of the cost. See if you can get stock ones, then get a credit before it goes on the road and get your own mounted.
    The dealer in Lampassas is going 1% over invoice. The dealer in Temple is $1660 more which they say is a ballpark quote. Quite a big ballpark. I have been to Killeen twice and they have yet to unlock a door for me or to send a sales person out, I only seem to get the greeter. I won't go back to killeen.

You can not begin to imagine how things have built up in this area and Austin. They would have to give me a pretty sweet deal to make the drive to Austin. I figure any dealer will involve multiple trips and I'm just a small town guy who stays out of Austin.
    I don't blame you for staying out of Austin. I used to go down there occasionally - there was a great tack store down there. By the time I left driving down to Austin was horrible because the roads weren't designed for the traffic they were getting.

I remember the LeCar. I bought one in Fayetteville, N.C. and got into an accident with it less than a month after the dealer disappeared overnight. Took over 6 months to get it fixed! Shipped it to Germany, then got rid of it and the husband that went with it over there. I kept the Dodge van I had bought - did I get the best part of that deal!

One of the things I notice about my Wrangler is how quick the steering is. I think it would be easy to jackknife a trailer if you aren't careful. I rarely drive faster than 65-70, not only because of the steering but also because the gas mileage is so much worse over 70. This weekend I drove to Vegas and back. Since it wasn't very windy (until I got halfway across the Mojave desert), I drove faster than usual - closer to 70 most of the way. This was faster than most of the 18 wheelers, but much slower than most cars. Several tried to run me off the road because while the average speed was close to 80, and there are many going much faster than that, so be careful when you haul if you are on the freeway. When I was in Texas the speed limit was still 55, which no one in Texas paid any attention to, but they did seem to respect trailers, especially horse trailers. Maybe you won't have that bad of a time hauling.

Good luck with it!
    At UMass, we (5 guys) picked one up and turned it sideways in its parking spot. Those are the kind of things you do on weekends in college.

With a Jeep, of course, you can just drive it sideways.

:-)
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Thanx for the info guys...I appreciate your help..
    I just wanted to know if there were any problems with doing that.
    TAZZ passed the 6000 mile mark today no problems at all..I still have no regrets, a perfect vehicle. Just wish I had some extra $$ to do some mods to it.. OHH well maybe in the future
    Take care all
    Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
    As far as ski racks I got the Mopar one that goes on the spare tire. I have not actually seen it in person just order it.....seems good to me. They also have hitch mounted ones........but then you got your hitch used up smothing. I think the tire rack keeps the skis closer to the vehicle which I think is generally a good thing!

I think I will go with the BFG AT KOs.....as they seem to have made some nice changes, they are cheeper, probably better in the ice/snow, and probably just fine for up to moderate trails in the desert.

Anyonne have experiences with the Track-Lock system that comes on some TJs and the Liberty? I heard everything to its not to hot to....it works really good in most conditions and better than many other car companys LSDs.

Joe

P.S. Anyone have those storage boxs for the back seat wheel wells by...I think its Best Top? They seem cool! Anyone else makes those?
  • cosmo12550cosmo12550 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler (Sahara). I am scratching my head over a
    few options, and would like some input from others.
    The Options are:
    Dana heavy duty rear,
    Llimited slip rear,
    Anti-lock Brakes.
    If I get the anti-lock brakes I cannot get the heavy duty rear. So which one is the better choice? And is the Limited slip rear worth the extra money. Any Input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Cosmo
    This is a post for any person who might be interested in explaining why they got involved with the Wrangler.

The first vehicle I ever drove on the road was an old Jeep Commando or Commander that belonged to a friend. Spent some fun time off road in that one and a little bit of time in the Willys that he had earlier.

I was in the Marines and stationed in N.C. I was suppose to go to recruiters school so I got rid of my MG B and bought a CJ5. Figured the Jeep was a bit more fitting. Bashed around in the pines and on the beach for a while and got sent to Okinawa instead of recruiting.

From Okinawa I went straight to Spain and finally after being out of the U.S. for over three years I returned home, got out of the Marines, picked up my CJ and headed west.

Joined the Army and bashed around in the desert in the CJ before selling it and heading to Germany for three years.

Got back to the U.S. and bought a Nissan 4X4 truck. Kept the truck for 6 years and then went 2 wheel drive.

Spent some time in a Cherokee that belongs to a friend, plus his patrol vehicle which is a Cherokee (BIA Police). That patrol car is quick.

Come April I will be getting back into a Wrangler or at least ordering one. A Liberty would make more sense, but would not be as much fun. I have never been known to have much common sense.

The truck gave me more room to haul things, but there were places you just could not get into.

Time to put down the top and go small again.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I guess I got ineterested in Wranglers because a brother in law, a nephew, and a cousin each had Wranglers, and they seemed to really enjoy them.

That got me looking, but the clincher was when I saw a Jeep just like my Thelma Jane at a dealership that I passed by twice a week. I had to stop and drool each time I went by! That one finally sold and was no longer there when I passed by, but I knew exactly what I wanted after seeing that one.

When I ordered Thelma, I ordered the same color and everything as that one.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    dec 2000.Ive been thinking about getting a new truck just for ME, nothing practicle just for ME. Saw a White Sahara hard top on the road
    I loved it I had to have it..started doing my reasearch (here thanx tom). Went to several dealerships looking at them. Wanted a sahara hated the interior.. then the 60th AE came out that was it. Asked my beautiful wife..as they say the rest is history..

BamaTazz
  • jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    The saga is so long. Mine started when I was 17. I took my car in to a shop to get worked on and sitting there with a for sale sign was a 79 CJ7. I bought it!! This was an excellent jeep. Unfortunately, when I started college I needed some cash. Jeep left. A couple of years later(after getting a job and not going to college any more) I bought an 84 CJ7. Once again, Excellent Jeep. Traded that for a 87 Wrangler. Got Married. Drove the Jeep away from the wedding all decorated and topless(the Jeep, not us). Now for the first kid. Jeep unpractical. Bye Bye Jeep. Second kid, still unpractical. 10 years pass since I last had the wrangler. Started looking at the new wranglers in June 2001. Practicality be damned. Bought a 99 Sport in December. WOOHOO. Guess this is not really how I got hooked on wranglers but Jeeps in general. What more could you ask for in a vehicle, good looks, 4wd, convertible. Nuff said. Now if it would only snow a little here.
    I first started looking at them when I was a college student counselor at a camp in the San Bernardino mountains. I had a 69 Opel Kadet that I loved driving through streams and on dirt roads up there. I also realized that there were limitations to the Opel, so that was when I started to want to own a Jeep. The first one I drove was a US Army jeep and thought they were great fun, but ended up buying things like trucks and vans (other than the LeCar my ex chose). When my current husband decided to quit driving for a living, we sold his Toyota flatbed truck and he told me I could buy anything I wanted. Being horseless now, I chose the vehicle I've wanted for over 25 years - which ended up being my black '98 Wrangler Sport. Ever since I got it I've spent lots of time driving through streams and on dirt roads and being much happier than I was, now that I can easily get away from the urban sprawl. In fact, I wouldn't own the house I love so much if it hadn't been for the Wrangler - I was on the internet looking for 4x4 trails around Frazier Park when I happened upon a site with houses for sale. They were so much cheaper than where I was living, that I just had to take a look! I am so much happier now, and it is all indirectly or directly related to the Wrangler.
    I know, there are those who won't understand, and to them I'll say, "It's a Jeep thing..."

And I'll second the motion for snow. There's none at the moment, but a possibility for this weekend (I hope, I hope).
    Well I called DC and they said the projected ship date to the dealer for my new 2002 rig is the 29th! Its sounds like things went fast. The factory is in Toledo and the dealer I am buying from is in Wisconsin.......how long should the shipment take I wounder...under a week I suppose.

Also I have decided to get the 31inch BFG AT KO as soon as I get it as I can sell the stock 30s for 45$ a tire. Has anyone noticed a difference doing this swap? Also TJSAY.....did you get ANY rubbing when you went to the 31 BFG AT?

Anyway.......kinda excited..........though not at the long drive from Milwakee to Las Vegas!

Joe
    I did that. They gave me an even swap for the spare (1997) in September 2001. Those Goodyears stink, but are worth some bucks. I think you could do better than $45, more like $85 if they are new. Better yet, ask the dealer to swap them before there are ANY miles on them. They can use them as spares from the dealership (with the right coaxing ;-) ).

They rub at full turn of the steering wheel, especially in reverse. You get used to it. I put in a 3/4" Daystar spring lift, but it didn't really noticeably help with that, but does give a little more height.
    I have had no rubbing at all with my 31's. Mine are 31x10.50's. A wider 31 inch tire might rub, but mine haven't. Also depends on the wheel, and I have the canyons like you will be getting. So, if you get the 10.50 width and have the canyon wheels, you shouldn't have a rub either.

I would guess a week would be pretty close as far as your shipping time.

tsjay

The current issue of JP magazine has a couple of pages on the Rubicon. About half a page of text and the rest is made up of photos of the vehicle and drawings of the drivedrain. More than I have seen so far without making it to an auto show.

I don't need one.
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    I have just recently purchased, (after careful consideration over 3 weeks, after my early model Japanese sedan finally died), my first new, "cough-cough", car.....and it is a Jeep! (Wrangler X, 6 cyl. stick, air, tinted softop, bonus sound, etc.-everything but the 30"'s-went w/ the alloy 15" package-will upgrade after 30K). Well, I have had this baby for three months and I am real happy. Looking forward to learning all I don't know about this Wrangler-of which I am sure there is plenty. Anyway, this Jeep wave cracks me up.
    Congratulations on the Jeep! Glad you posted.

How about posting a pic of that baby in the photo gallery?

What color did you get?

tsjay

• hypehype Member Posts: 16
    To answer your inquiry, "tsjay," I went with the metalic silver color. I will have to get a picture on the gallery-that will take some time though. To follow up on my earlier posting, I was pretty methodical in buying my new Jeep, that is, I test drove just about everything in my range (20K) and I was bored with them all, then one evening I had an epiphany that sounded like this: "Test drive the Jeeeeeep" and so I did...well, I the rest is history! Yeah, baby!
    Hey, that must be one beautiful Jeep! I came REAL close to getting Silverstone too. I even took a whole extra day to make up my mind before I let the dealer place the order. I stayed with white, which is the color of that Jeep that I fell in love with months before I ordered, but it was a tough choice after seeing a Silverstone Jeep at the dealer where I bought my Jeep.

Hope it won't be too long before you can post some pics.

Good luck with that Jeep, and have fun!

tsjay

Looks like no one has responded to your questions about options. I'll give you my two cents worth.

I got the Dana 44 rear end, but I probably didn't need it, since I will only offroad occasionally and never do any serious stuff. I figured that if it is more rugged, then it will just last longer, and, heck, if I ever really do get into serious offroading, I will have the right rear end for it.

I did not get the trac loc limited slip, but I wish I had. I didn't realize the value of it when I placed my order. Since then, I have heard many people say that it is a good option for snow. We don't get much snow here in western Ky, unfortunately, but when we do, it would be nice to have trac loc. For offroading, they say there is some after market stuff that is better than the factory trac loc, but for use on snowy roads, sounds like trac loc is good.

As far as ABS, I didn't want it. I have heard that if you go to bigger tires sometime, that the ABS doesn't work properly. Don't know if that's true, but it's just something that I didn't really want anyway.

The options that would be best for you depend on how you will be using the Jeep.

Hope this helps. Remember, when someone tells you that you just gotta have this or that, they are speaking from their own perspective. A serious offroader might tell you that you really need this or that, but they are assuming that you would use your Jeep the same way that they use theirs. I don't offroad (yet), so when I tell you what I think is best, I am speaking only from my own experience as a guy who stays on the pavement most of the time.

Hope you get your order placed soon!

tsjay

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

Well, I did my first-ever self oil change last night with the help of a friend and wanted to note a couple things:

1. I found the oil filter at kind of a tough position to get at. I was expecting it to be popping up somewhere at the top of the engine but instead it was down about 3/4 of the way down on the left side. We tried fitting an oil filter wrench around it but there really wasn't enough surrounding room to fit one in. We finally just untwisted it by hand. It really wasn't on too tight at all. Getting it descended once it was removed was a bit of a task, too - I had to carefully maneuver it between pipes, hoses and wires to get it out. After a couple blockages, I found that the correct route was to move it to the right, sort of toward the passenger side of the car, then up a little, and then down and out.

2. Man, pouring that oil can be tricky!!! We didn't have a funnel (going to go buy one PRONTO) and the engine fill is such that I had to pour a distance of about 7-8 inches from the mouth of the bottle to the mouth of the oil fill hole, which resulted in small but significant spilling :-( Just tried to mop it up with a rag best I could.

Otherwise all went pretty smoothly - I got ahold of an official L.A. County oil disposal bucket - the lid of which comes off to form a nice oil pan, then you pour the used oil through a plastic strainer 1/4 down the inside of the bucket and fill it up. Then wipe the excess and put the pan/lid back on! It even has a phone number printed on the side where you can find out where the nearest disposal facility is. Not bad huh?

I went with a Fram oil filter this time (STP last time) mainly because it was the cheapest that Pep Boys had at $3.50. I of course stuck with Mobil 1 for the oill as I will be for the life of the Jeep (thanks to you guys!!).

Overall it was fun to do, I learned a lot, and I think it will go more smoothly next time. Thanks again for all the advice!

yellowman
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    FYI, Fram filters are considered to be some of the worst oil filters you can get. I'm sorry I don't have a link, but there was someone who was doing a comparison of all filters, pretty scientifically, and Fram was as bad as everyone always says. I bring this up, not to bash Fram, or those that use them, but simply to point out that they are not widely recomended. Obviously if you are using Mobil 1, you want to care for your Jeep in the best way possible, skimping on the filter is not a wise thing. Try AC Delco, as a cheap filter that is rated very highly, or Duetsch (SP?) who makes the AC Delco I believe, (Autozone carries them, grey box). Don't let this make you think you need to go change the oil again right now, but I wouldn't leave that Fram filter in for more than 3000 miles. (I don't leave any filter in more than 3000 miles.) Just my $.02.
  • cfrugecfruge Member Posts: 5
    As far as options go I got the following:
    Sport model(wanted the inline 6), Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Floor Mats, Steps...

Canyon Wheel group with Dana 44 - This is worth it if you want the over engineering of the Dana 44, 3.73 rear ratio, extra duty shocks and like the 15" wheels/30" tires that come from the factory. I wanted to keep my vehicle pretty stock but give it some rugged characteristics. You have to give up anti lock brakes. Best option I chose.

CD Player with sub in center console - This system sounds good for a dealer installed stereo. I am not one to want a sub, but this one just fills in the background and is not overpowering. You have to give up having a cooler in the center console :(

Dual Tops - I posted this opinion earlier. Basically, I do use both tops in order to get a change. I bought both tops because I remember the older Jeeps as being very noisy. However, the wind noise with the new soft top is very tolerable if you have the full doors. You can still speak on a cell phone at 60 mph which would not of been possible with an older soft top. In fact there is not much difference in wind noise between the two tops anymore. My advise after using both tops for a few months is to get the soft top with full metal doors.

Trac Lock - I wish I had gotten trac loc. I bought last August and was very particular in my options and color and could not find a red one with the above options and trac lock. I wanted a 2001 because at the time the 4.9% could not be beat. I do not do enough off roading to get a 3rd party locker. (Basically if you want to have all 4 wheels giving power at all times you need 2 lockers (one in front and one in back)). I am an occasional off roader who is more likely to be driving on the beach than climbing boulders. For me one locker on the back should be good enough. The trac lock is good for people like me because it sounds like it is reliable (will only kick in when needed). From my understanding a lot of the 3rd party lockers lock up when they should not(on dry pavement). In fact I may look into the mechanics and see if I can add trac lock now.

The invoice on mine at the time was 22700 and I found an Internet sales person at the Lancaster, TX dealer who gave it to me for 22400. If I had been smarter and only gotten the soft top it would have been 21000, but I still got a good deal. I could sell the hard top but I have spent $100 building a rope system to hang it in the garage (I will post a picture).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a post linking the Fram study:

edwardh1 "Oil Filter Brands and Types" Nov 22, 2000 2:25pm

Wouldn't hurt to read this post (and the one following either):

hasel "Oil Filter Brands and Types" Mar 30, 2001 8:03am

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I'm probably the only one on the board who has both the trak-lok limited slip and ABS, and I am glad I ordered both options. They are both useful in the snow and heavy rain especially, though I'm not getting much of that now that I've moved to San Diego (as compared to Oregon). I don't think the Dana 44 is really that valuable unless you plan on getting 33" tires or up; IE you plan on lifting your Jeep.

If the new soft tops are as quiet as everyone says, then I'd skip the dual tops and just get the full doors. I have both tops, but the hard top has been banished to the garage since I moved.
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    goducks1:

I also ordered the Trac-Loc with the ABS. Although the ABS had a problem early on (faulty speed sensor--repaired under warranty), it has been a good thing to have, especially here in the Colorado snows.

I debated ordering the ABS or Canyon Wheel Package, and ultimately, the safety issue won out. And the insurance discount isn't too bad either. I do plan on lifting my Jeep eventually, but will not go bigger than 33s, as I am limited by the axles. I don't plan to do much "hardcore" off-roading, and my Jeep is also my daily driver.

The bottom line is you have to consider what you will be doing with your Jeep, and also what look you like. Personally, I like the look of a lifted Jeep with good size tires, even if I didn't ever go off-roading.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Madman

http://madman390.tripod.com/cgi-bin/home.html

please ignore the ads, and scroll down in the top section for the nav bar

• fly6869fly6869 Member Posts: 17
    I need to know the pricing on the new Rubicon. I have a 91 Wrangler that is almost ready for sale. I was going to buy a salvage title TJ and build it the way I wanted. But now I may just wait on the Rubicon. Anyone know of any wrecked TJ's for sale. My brother in law just finished rebuilding a 98 TJ and it looks great. Thanks for any info.

Jeep addicted..