Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• cklausingcklausing Posts: 16
    I believe the model is RFX9000. It was their first entry into the CD/MP3 market. Since then, I know they've released a few other models which include better line-out options, but other than that I don't know what the major differences are off the top of my head.

I picked it up near the middle-end of last summer, and at the time the number of "good" head units in the CD/MP3 catagory were few. The Kenwoods were having problems with quality control, the sonys were laughable at best, and the only two that I saw that were worth really considering were the Rockford Fosgate RFX9000 and the JVC SH99. Actually, the SH99 was blowing the doors off of everything, but I sadly couldn't find a local dealer and at the time wasn't feeling like taking the risk of ordering something I couldn't check out first-hand. Eventually one of my friends picked up the SH99, and he loves it. It is honestly a bit more feature-rich than the RF, and if you can get past the fact that it is made by a company that is not renowned for their car stereos, the SH99 really is a superb head unit.

So far though, no regrets. I got everything I really wanted, and none of the stuff that I didn't really need.
  • Just worked on a major sludge problem caused by failure of PCV system. The rubber gromit at the back of the valve cover is prone to swelling and clogging. This connects the vent tube that goes to the intake manifold. Gromit looks fine on top but is disintegrating underneath. You should be able to remove the black tube and easily push down a rod through the hole 1 inch till you hit metal. Check it out.
  • yellowmanyellowman Posts: 209
    Hey all

Well after months of putting it off, procrastinating, and working on the design, I finally got my custom spare tire cover made. As you may recall, I wanted to advertise for my company when driving around town. I purchased a Bestop vinyl spare tire cover from Quadratec for $19.95, then took it in to a local flag & banner store. They told me that, due to the large diameter and shape, they didn't have the equipment to stretch the cover properly to make it flat for printing purposes. Therefore they decided to print my ad on a separate round piece of vinyl and stitch it to the spare tire cover. I used Adobe Illustrator 9.0 to create the graphics (which consist of mostly text with a big yellow happy face and a line drawing of a lunchbox). It took about a week for them to do, but the finished product looks pretty damn good!! It's very smooth and shiny so I'm not too worried about water messing it up. The stitching overlaps some of my artwork, but you can't really tell from 5-10 feet away. Also you can see the outline of the material if you look closely, but again it's not something noticeable from a viewer's perpective from within another car. One thing to keep in mind if you're going to do this - do not make your artwork stretch all the way to the edge, because it will start to bend outward due to the curvature of the tire. I left a one-inch gutter and I'm glad I did!

Anyway hope this helps anyone thinking of doing a custom tire cover. Oh, the total price for the custom printing was $260.00.

yellowman
  • For now I think I will leave the head unit like it is to discourage theft. I live in Memphis and it seems to happen ALL THE TIME here :-(

I will take your advice and upgrade the factory speakers though. Do you think that will get enough bass into the picture or will I have to opt for a one of those powered subwoofers like a Bazooka tube? I am not looking to wake up the neighbors... but as it is now I have no low range coming from the speakers at all and at high volumes it is very distorted. that is the main reason I want to upgrade. Thanks in advance!

Michael
    In my honest opinion, I don't think you'll probably end up with enough bass to make you happy. Depending on your speaker choice, the amount of change you get will vary, but you should get some improvement. Problem is that the standard speaker sizes used in the Wrangler and just not really adequate to get good bass out.

If you are willing to do a bit of cutting, I know some people have been able to fit 6-1/2" speakers into the soundbar by trimming just a bit of the enclosure. This should definately improve things over just doing a straight upgrade to better 5-1/4" speakers. The ones in the dash though are pretty hopeless. Those things seem to distort at any reasonable volume no matter what you put in there. Almost better off to get a bass-block and use the front speakers only for mid-range/highs.

Another thing to worry about is the amount of current the factory head unit can supply if you are worried about getting distored bass at high volumes. That most likely adds to the distortion as well as the limitations of the speaker.

If you want "real" bass, you'll probably have to end up going with some sort of additional bass tube. Swapping in new speakers and adding poly-fill to the soundbar did increase the amount and tightness of the bass at lower volumes, but I still get distortion at high volumes. Really noticable in the front speakers, not as much so in the soundbar speakers (though it is still definately there).

This is also VERY dependant on the frequency range in question. My stuff seems to handle mid-bass just fine. The really low stuff though still reveals the problem (which is what I'd expect trying to recreate it using a 5-1/2" driver). I'd suggest doing the factory speaker swap first along with the poly-fill, and seeing how that upgrade handles the music that you listen to. Depending on your musical taste, that may be enough to make you happy. If you listen to a lot of electronic music or hip-hop/rap/anything-in-this-genre frequently, you'll almost definately want to start looking for some sort of stand-alone sub setup.
    Well, it's been warm and sunny for a couple of days straight now, so this morning I decided it would be the perfect time to take the doors off for the first time. All I can say is that I'm dreading watching the weather because I just don't want to hear that it might rain and that I'll need to put them back on! I figured I was going to enjoy the whole doorless thing, but I had no idea how much so.

Nothing really important to say, just really excited about the whole new level of happiness I've reached with my Wrangler. Doors off is going to be the standard so long as the weather is willing to play nice.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Our day was sunny, very windy and cold. Still no snow. But that's good, since the Wrangler is now sitting in Bakersfield waiting to get the exhaust manifold fixed. Like I thought all along, it's cracked and won't pass the smog test (sigh). Guess that $500-600 touch is going to put off the new roof for a month or two (which the frosty weather we're having would have anyway)! Price to fix is dependent on how many screws break off! I guess I can't complain - this is the first major repair I've had in 94,000 miles.
  • sbspencesbspence Posts: 16
    You'll be just as happy with the "X" model, as with the Sport. You can take the extra $$ saved and start your mods! ;) I also live in Illinois and have no regrets about this (my second) soft top Wrangler. The new sailclith tops are great! They really do work wonders in both warmth and sound isolation. HTH!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Now you know why I was so excited about the "doorless" thing. It makes a HUGE difference in the fun of driving the Jeep, huh?

Must be nice to live in a place where you can go doorless this time of year!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    "The thing I looked into was trying to get past the 115 (or whatever) limits on the character length limit of a URL.

Regarding multiple links in a message - just enter < br > or < p > (without the spaces!) after each link and it will produce a line break in the text. I am not sure why it's not automatically being done with your links."

I think it is a combination of the 115 limit and multiple links (it thinks they are all one link?).

"How, exactly, are you entering the links onto the page now?"

Copy and paste.
    "I have heard that the 2003 Wrangler (non Rubicon) will feature 3.7L v6, freshened bumpers, removable hardtop panels, upgraded seats, etc.? Any of you think this is worth waiting for? Time is not really an issue... What about the v6? I have heard its crap, but really, how does it compare to the i6 in terms of overall performance?"

This is all new (news) to me.

"They really need to put a 4 speed auto option, rear disc brakes, etc. on the Wrangler? 3 speed? Read drums? Whazzzzupwitdat?"

Is that a question or a declaration? I think the reason they have the 3 speed is because there is not enough room (length) for the larger tranny. The V6 would shorten the engine, and allow room for a longer tranny, from what I've been able to piece together. As far as rear discs vs. drums I don't know, but it is a pretty light vehicle, and discs probably aren't worth the cost when the drums do just fine. Beats me.
  • fivespeedfivespeed Posts: 42
    but would like to see a nice ohc unit for practical commuting and limited off road fun.

I've really changed my mind about silver Wranglers. They are good looking.

http://www.car-truck.com/image/chryed/buzz/apex4.jpg

fiver

• markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    of $1000 on the new Rubicon. Should have one by late summer.....
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Have you agreed a price, or are you just going to pay what they ask?
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Salesman at dealer is a buddy. Asked him if they are gonna want sticker. He said no, they'll wanna move them.

He had quoted me $150 over invoice on an ordered sport '02. Figure I'll pay $200 to $500 over.
  • carlgrcarlgr Posts: 1
    Is there a fix to reduce driver door wind noise? I have the soft top-half doors with the zipper windows. At speeds >60MPPH, I notice that the top of the soft door shell sometimes moves back and forth; this leaves a temporary gap of maybe half an inch. The passenger door does not do this.

Also - when you remove the doors - how do you disable the the interior lamps? I couldn't find that in the owners manual. there's gotta be an easy way to set the switches in the door jamb but I can;t figure it out.

Thanks!
  • I am not sure about your wind noise question, because I have the full doors.

You can disable the interior lights by simply removing the fuse (behind glove box). It is the one on the lower right corner, but I don't remember the fuse number. Check your owners manual for the fuse number.
    I took mine out and never put it back.

It is in the owner's manual somewhere.

Hey, when you own a car which has zippers and most of the body parts either fold or come off completely, some noise is assumed.
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    "Red" My 98 TJ turn over 100K on the way to work today. Maybe a name change to Old Red is in order ?
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND TO RED!

Let's hear some more about this! Has "Red" been a good boy the whole time?

You must do a lot of highway driving to put that many miles on a vehicle. How is Red set up? Is he a Sport or SE or Sahara? Stock?

Talk dirty to us!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    Check out the Consumer Ratings for your vehicle (both New and Used). Feel free to write your own. (The Rating will be found in the upper right when you drill down to your make and model).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jptjjptj Posts: 53
    Red is a Sport, auto with air and cruise the only time that he was a" little bad" was at 75K I had to replace the Radiator. I did replace the front brake at 80K but I consider that part of regular maintenance.
    Red is may second TJ I had a 97 SE 5 speed she had 74K when I sold her. The only things I had to replace were the rotors and the catalytic converter and both were under Warranty.
    And yes I hug Jeep every day
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Congrats on the 100,000 miles. My '98 is still at 95,000. Since the weather looks like snow tomorrow, we went over the hill and picked up the Wrangler yesterday. That exhaust manifold is going to put off the new roof for several months. The manifold itself cost $565 and then the labor on top of it brought the bill up over $800! I hope you don't have any problems with yours.

We did drive the Wrangler today and it is so much quieter! I had gotten used to the loud engine I forgot what it should sound like. I'm not really complaining, since this is the first major repair we've had.
    For $800, I hope you got some "performance" tubular type headers at least.
    My 97 Sport 4.0Liter sometimes does not run as smooth as it should or at least used to.

Just wondering how often people change spark plugs and / or plug wires on their Wranglers.

I thought I remembered seeing here somewhere that there are some certain types of plug to avoid (I hear splitfire suck no matter what type of car), and one particular one to try to get. What would that be? Anyone?
  • watiiwatii Posts: 21
    I am considering a wrangler. For economic reasons used is my best option. I have found a 1994 Sahara 5 spd with 47,500 miles. Dealer is advertising it at $10,990. I feel like i will be able to talk down 2k, which would mean $9,000. does this sound like a Good Deal? Does anyone know of any significant problems with this model. All comments appreciated.
    I got a 1997 Sport with 53,000 miles for $13,000 in August.

If I were you, I'd go for the 1997 or newer. It is worth it for the new design. I'd imagine you could get a 1997 now for maybe $12,000.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    You are on the best site I know of for getting good price information. Just use the stuff Edmunds gives you. I have found the TMV feature really good for figuring a fair price for either buying or selling. Several people I know have also used it and found it useful.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    OK, I give up. Where do I find this Customer Rating thing.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    Heh, it is a bit of a search to find. Try going to Used Cars, then drill down to your 2000 Wrangler. You should be here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/jeep/index.html#wrangler

Click on the Wrangler model and you should be here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/jeep/wrangler/index.html

The rating bar will be towards the upper right of the page. Clear as the mud on your fenders?

It's similar for other models (except click on New and drill down for, say, a shiny new Liberty). I'll search for a generic link shortcut too.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.