Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    "I have heard that the 2003 Wrangler (non Rubicon) will feature 3.7L v6, freshened bumpers, removable hardtop panels, upgraded seats, etc.? Any of you think this is worth waiting for? Time is not really an issue... What about the v6? I have heard its crap, but really, how does it compare to the i6 in terms of overall performance?"

This is all new (news) to me.

"They really need to put a 4 speed auto option, rear disc brakes, etc. on the Wrangler? 3 speed? Read drums? Whazzzzupwitdat?"

Is that a question or a declaration? I think the reason they have the 3 speed is because there is not enough room (length) for the larger tranny. The V6 would shorten the engine, and allow room for a longer tranny, from what I've been able to piece together. As far as rear discs vs. drums I don't know, but it is a pretty light vehicle, and discs probably aren't worth the cost when the drums do just fine. Beats me.
  • fivespeedfivespeed Posts: 42
    but would like to see a nice ohc unit for practical commuting and limited off road fun.

I've really changed my mind about silver Wranglers. They are good looking.

http://www.car-truck.com/image/chryed/buzz/apex4.jpg

fiver

• markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    of $1000 on the new Rubicon. Should have one by late summer.....
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Have you agreed a price, or are you just going to pay what they ask?
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Salesman at dealer is a buddy. Asked him if they are gonna want sticker. He said no, they'll wanna move them.

He had quoted me $150 over invoice on an ordered sport '02. Figure I'll pay $200 to $500 over.
  • carlgrcarlgr Posts: 1
    Is there a fix to reduce driver door wind noise? I have the soft top-half doors with the zipper windows. At speeds >60MPPH, I notice that the top of the soft door shell sometimes moves back and forth; this leaves a temporary gap of maybe half an inch. The passenger door does not do this.

Also - when you remove the doors - how do you disable the the interior lamps? I couldn't find that in the owners manual. there's gotta be an easy way to set the switches in the door jamb but I can;t figure it out.

Thanks!
  • I am not sure about your wind noise question, because I have the full doors.

You can disable the interior lights by simply removing the fuse (behind glove box). It is the one on the lower right corner, but I don't remember the fuse number. Check your owners manual for the fuse number.
    I took mine out and never put it back.

It is in the owner's manual somewhere.

Hey, when you own a car which has zippers and most of the body parts either fold or come off completely, some noise is assumed.
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    "Red" My 98 TJ turn over 100K on the way to work today. Maybe a name change to Old Red is in order ?
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND TO RED!

Let's hear some more about this! Has "Red" been a good boy the whole time?

You must do a lot of highway driving to put that many miles on a vehicle. How is Red set up? Is he a Sport or SE or Sahara? Stock?

Talk dirty to us!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Check out the Consumer Ratings for your vehicle (both New and Used). Feel free to write your own. (The Rating will be found in the upper right when you drill down to your make and model).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jptjjptj Posts: 53
    Red is a Sport, auto with air and cruise the only time that he was a" little bad" was at 75K I had to replace the Radiator. I did replace the front brake at 80K but I consider that part of regular maintenance.
    Red is may second TJ I had a 97 SE 5 speed she had 74K when I sold her. The only things I had to replace were the rotors and the catalytic converter and both were under Warranty.
    And yes I hug Jeep every day
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Congrats on the 100,000 miles. My '98 is still at 95,000. Since the weather looks like snow tomorrow, we went over the hill and picked up the Wrangler yesterday. That exhaust manifold is going to put off the new roof for several months. The manifold itself cost $565 and then the labor on top of it brought the bill up over $800! I hope you don't have any problems with yours.

We did drive the Wrangler today and it is so much quieter! I had gotten used to the loud engine I forgot what it should sound like. I'm not really complaining, since this is the first major repair we've had.
    For $800, I hope you got some "performance" tubular type headers at least.
    My 97 Sport 4.0Liter sometimes does not run as smooth as it should or at least used to.

Just wondering how often people change spark plugs and / or plug wires on their Wranglers.

I thought I remembered seeing here somewhere that there are some certain types of plug to avoid (I hear splitfire suck no matter what type of car), and one particular one to try to get. What would that be? Anyone?
  • watiiwatii Posts: 21
    I am considering a wrangler. For economic reasons used is my best option. I have found a 1994 Sahara 5 spd with 47,500 miles. Dealer is advertising it at $10,990. I feel like i will be able to talk down 2k, which would mean $9,000. does this sound like a Good Deal? Does anyone know of any significant problems with this model. All comments appreciated.
    I got a 1997 Sport with 53,000 miles for $13,000 in August.

If I were you, I'd go for the 1997 or newer. It is worth it for the new design. I'd imagine you could get a 1997 now for maybe $12,000.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    You are on the best site I know of for getting good price information. Just use the stuff Edmunds gives you. I have found the TMV feature really good for figuring a fair price for either buying or selling. Several people I know have also used it and found it useful.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    OK, I give up. Where do I find this Customer Rating thing.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Heh, it is a bit of a search to find. Try going to Used Cars, then drill down to your 2000 Wrangler. You should be here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/jeep/index.html#wrangler

Click on the Wrangler model and you should be here:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/jeep/wrangler/index.html

The rating bar will be towards the upper right of the page. Clear as the mud on your fenders?

It's similar for other models (except click on New and drill down for, say, a shiny new Liberty). I'll search for a generic link shortcut too.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards