Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    There are two albums in this gallery for 3/23/02. That's the day I was there with the Central Illinois Jeep Club. The gallery is in their web site. There are about four or five shots of Thelma Jane in these sets of pics.

http://www.cijeep.com/gallery/Trail%20Runs/default.asp

• cklausingcklausing Member Posts: 16
    First off, a big congrats on getting past the "don't want to risk it" phase and actually hitting the dirt! I'm still not quite ready to do any real offroad yet myself. Right now my Jeep is still new enough to me that I'd rather just enjoy it as-is, and down the road once it's already got some "character" from other mishaps, or if I start to get a stale feeling, then I'll probably be making the plunge myself. If nothing else, I figure that should at least give me time to get some work done on it in preparation:)

Already did the trivial stuff like stereo/speaker upgrades, and of course remounted the mirrors to let me get rid of the doors. This evening comes a tire/wheel upgrade (AR 767 w/ Dueller ATs). Just about out of the easy stuff, guess I'll need to start getting ready for the non-trivial stuff now....

On another note, the link you posted for us to check out some of the new pics has issues. May only be for non-Windows users like myself, but the website you pointed to has links that have a bunch of spaces in the names. At least for me, I've got to go through the link once I click on it and add "%20" in front of each of the spaces to get the links to work. Don't know if you used some automated picture adding process to post the pics, or if you know the guy running the site, but if you've got some way of asking him to "adjust" the names of the links so they aren't full of spaces, it may save people the headache in the future!
    Hi Chad. I don't know what you are talking about as far as the link, but I am a dummy about 'puters. I see that %20 thing on my screen, when I look at the link that I posted.

Nice choice of wheels! I like those AR767s. What size tires are you getting and what size are those wheels gonna be? How wide are the wheels, I mean?

Tom
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hey yeller..I guess we are the last of the pavement jeeps...
    hmmm new club?

Tom..ive been around..working & spending time with kids.. I'll be posting more..
    saw the pic..they look great...
    ok..now...if themla gets hurt...dont come crying to me...

Keep Jeepin
    Bamatazz
  • cklausingcklausing Member Posts: 16
    Tom-

With regards to the webpage, the link here on Edmunds is fine, it's when you follow that link and try to go anywhere else that I start seeing the spaces in the address, which makes the version of Netscape I'm using freak out. Not a huge deal really, just something that Windows probably knows how to get around and Unix still has issues with:)

Anyhow, just got back from the wheel/tire install. The ones I am actually running now are

AR-767 15" x 8"
    Dueller AT 30x9.50

Definately love the look. The Jeep itself is tan/gold/whatever (what was that about guys being color-blind??), and my personal opinion was that a "chrome" look would appear kinda silly with this body color. Not sure if they had to adjust the bump-stops or not, but I've not noticed any rubbing at full-turn. I'll probably double check everything tomorrow when it is nice and sunny out, but for the whopping couple of hours that I've had them, I'm VERY happy:) The 'ole jeep just looked kinda silly with the rather small and cheap looking stock tires/wheels that it came with (I bought it used, and it had no wheel package upgrade).

Come to think of it, I'm starting to finally reallize that one of the best things about Wranglers is that you can just keep on changing things around. And I'm only speaking for myself here, but each time I alter something, I get that same goofy look on my face that I got the first time I took one for a drive. Bad part is that I'm starting to think that upgrading is going to be worse than an addiction to crack......

Going to have to get some digital pictures up here in the near future now that it is to the point where I consider it "presentable"!

chad
    Would definitely like to see some pics. Get em posted!

Tom
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'd like to see pics too!

I also have the Dueller AT tires and think that they are a good compromise, but you can't use chains with tires that wide. The Duellers seem to stick to the road better than the standard Goodyears and they handle the off-roading I do very well. They also did well getting us up an icy hill this winter. They aren't winter tires, and our trip that night was definitely a white-knucke trip, but they got us home safely. This was on a mountain road that had not been sanded - CalTrans was too busy trying to re-open the I5 freeway to worry about our side road (we sat on the freeway for 45 minutes until we worked our way up to Gorman and stopped for dinner. Another 45 minutes and they finally opened the freeway for those already in the mountains - all so I could go about 3 miles to the next exit!).
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    My Sahara's definitely still a pavement Jeep! Yep, I'm still around. Finally hit the 3,000 mile mark. Stop laughing Tom! Now I need my 1st oil change. I planned ahead -- I have all of Twylie's posts about oil changes saved. Better read them!

Take care
    Where in the world have ya been? We never hear from ya here or in gill's any more!

Wow! Three thousand miles on that Jeep? Be careful, or you're gonna wear it out! :)

Let's get back to communicating with our buddies, OK? We miss ya!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Hey lady..
    where ya been...well I cant talk..ive been AWOL myself....
    Good seeing you again....Keep Posting
    Ohhh by the way
    7200 miles on TAZZ

BAma
  • sniperfiresniperfire Member Posts: 1
    <jeep wave>

Just found you guys and thought I would give a hello. I'm very much into offroading and modding my 98 TJ...time and money always seems short though. We do get out quite often though and it seems like I'm always tinkering with something on the jeep. Anyhoo, here's how we do it UK style...

http://www.darksiderz.co.uk/outings/salisburyreport/index.htm

• yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey there

Well, I had the repair done today for free. Not too bad - there's just a dot that looks like a small water droplet now. I was thinking about getting the entire windshield replaced for $50 (per my insurance) but now that you mention the potential for leaks, I don't want to open up a can of worms so I think I'll just sit on the glass repair. It's noticeable to me, but I'm sure no one else would ever notice it unless I pointed it out. I must say, I was impressed with the service. The repairman drove almost 50 miles one way to get to me at work and did the job in about 20 minutes. Not bad! I'm sure glad I bought the extra "mechanical breakdown" insurance for new vehicles through Geico. Had I needed to replace the windshield, it would have cost only $50 instead of the normal $500 deductable!

I think it's about time for another nice wax job. This weekend should work fine for that :-)

yellowman

p.s. - One of these days I'll try a little simple offroading, and who knows...Maybe I'll get the bug too!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall. That's some mud you have over there :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Welcome to "The Colonies," as you Brits would say!

Glad you found us and hope you will post often.

Nice web page, by the way.

Just get a good snorkle on that Jeep and drive on over here to our side of the pond. :)

Tom

Can you ship us some of the water that made all that mud? Loved your pictures! Looks like lots of fun! I have little experience with mud - it doesn't rain that much where I am. No snow, no rain. Very boring weather this year. It does make for golden hillsides (some would call them brown, but I'm trying to put a positive spin on it), but I would much rather have green.

Yellowman - I keep telling ya to try some easy Forest Service roads just north of you. They are fun, have lovely views and won't hurt your Wrangler unless you do something dumb. Gets your feet wet easily! I am sorry to hear about your windshield. As you know, I drive those freeways for more miles than most, and the only stone chip we got was on a snowy road in British Columbia! That's including the Taco commuter vehicle.

By the way, the Wrangler passed the smog check easily, thanks to the new exhaust manifold.
  • dillondogdillondog Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if anti-lock brakes can be disabled in 2002 Wranglers. I heard that there could be a fuse to pull but the fuse may be connected to other accessories. Thanks
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Does anyone know whether Wranglers were susceptible to the same front rotor/rear drum problems in Cherokees and Grand Cherokees?

Also, has anyone done the brakes in their 1997 or newer Wrangler TJ?

If so, what brand brakes did you use? What brand pads/shoes? Did you do it yourself? How easy? Are docs available online?

Also, what do people recommend for front and rear differential fluid? Same applies as far as directions/self serve.
    Still wondering how I'd know which TSB's are more important of the thousands to pick from for 1997 Wrangler TJ Sport.

In particular, looking for ones on computer, brakes, transmission, suspension, body, engine.

Anything in particular to look for?

My car makes a funny almost grinding noise out of the back. Could it be sand or dirt somewhere?
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    So much for my plan of ordering my TJ on the 15th of April for my mid life crisis birthday present.

I called the dealer today to see if I could get stock tires and wheels on a Sport along with a dana44. I was going with the Canyon package, but figured why spend the extra money for tires that I was never going to use. So far I have only been offered $25 a tire from all the tire stores in the area. I intend to go with the BFG Mud Terrains.

The Jeep dealer went through the build process to see if I could go stock with the dana44 and got to the color part. At this stage the Amber Fire Pearl came up as restricted. When I asked what that meant I was told that color was not available at this time, but they did not know the reason. Possible reasons could be the paint is not available, could be problems with that color, could be that color was discontinued.

I talked to another dealer that showed an Amber Fire on their internet site and they told me that they thought the color was discontinued. They did give me an 800 number for DC which was for service contracts, but they were able to give me the DC customer service number. Called that number and they were closed for the Easter weekend and would not be open till Tuesday. More bad words from me at that stage.

Now I need to pick another color and my roomie has already said she would not drive any other color of TJ. I guess that is one good thing to come out of this.

Since this is all sort of a let down to me, I might just see what is out there with the options I want and go for it. If I get it this month I would get the two $500 rebates that are offered. That would take some of the sting away from not getting the color I wanted.

The other option is a backup color with the options and order on the 15th and maybe not get the $1000 in rebates in May.

Decisions, decisions.

Bottom line, I hope it was not a problem with the paint for all the folks that already have Amber Fire.

If any one knows the reason for the restriction on the color, please post.
    It's probably just because it is late in the model year's production for the 2002's. They will be switching to the 2003's in a couple months. I'll bet they are not carrying Amber Fire over to the 2003's, so they have let the supply of that color paint run out.

Sorry, Toady! :(

Tom
    You might want to stay with the Canyons. They are really nice wheels, and you can still use them for bigger diameter tires, as long as the tires are not too wide. Canyons will handle 10.50 width tires on the Jeep without a problem. They are backspaced too much for wider tires than the 10.50, but some people, including tonkadave, are getting wheel spacers and going up to 12.50 in width with the Canyons.

tom

• cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    I am currently in the process of investigating a second car and I am inexplicably drawn to the Wrangler.My Brain tells me "NO" but my heart says "Yes". Anyhow,I think you folks know what I'm talking about so I won't go into too much detail.
    What I do want to share with you and also get some feedback on is what changes may be in store for 2003. I came across an interesting article last night on the Yahoo Auto review section.It read as follows:
    "The current Wrangler design, now in its sixth model year, gets a light makeover for 2003. Besides a redone front end, the update is said to include a new-design accessory hard top made of lighter, composite-like plastic instead of fiberglass and with removable roof and side panels. The '03 may also discard the old 4.0-liter inline-6 for the 3.7-liter V6 from the new Liberty SUV."
    It goes on to say that a complete re-design will happen in 2006 and production will be moved to the new Liberty plant in Toledo.

I love the current model however,if in fact they do install the Liberty V6,I think this engine will be outstanding in the much lighter wrangler.
    Has anyone heard similar news? When will the 2003
    model be available? I'm sure there is no point asking the ill informed sales people at the dealership as they will just tell you that they are not aware of any upcoming changes for 03.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Anyone going to Camp Jeep this year?

By the way, wrestled on my soft top again, so it could get broke in for summer use.
    She got to go wheelin' again today over at Turkey Bay OHV Area.

Thelma, Ross Allen, and Old Tsjay met some other Jeepers down there, and we had a ball! We ran the trail that the stock Jeeps will be running at the Jeep Jamboree, which will be held at Turkey Bay in April. My guide today was the guy who will lead the trail for the Jamboree participants. He told me I could be the guinea pig, since Thelma Jane is stock.

Well, I hope no one thinks the trail they will use for the stock Jeeps is a push over! It was tough!

I had to take a winch today. We were driving right down the middle of a creek, and a big log was across our path. Thelma just couldn't get her front tires to go up over the log, and in trying, she spun and made a hole. Couldn't go forward or backward. The water was deep enough that I could her Thelma's exhaust making bubbles as we sat there waiting to be pulled out. The lead Jeep had a winch, and because of the angle, he almost couldn't pull us over that log.

Talk about mud! That place was muddy in many places. I was amazed at how Thelma went right through the stuff, especailly since there were deep ruts in the mud.

I thank good old KentuckyTJ (Chad) for agreeing to meet me down there and help a rookie. Once we got there, he let 92JeepJeep (Mike)lead the way (he is the guy who will lead the way at the Jambo). There were some other experienced Jeepers there with us, and they were really good guys too.

WHAT A BLAST!

Thelma Jane,Ross Allen, Tom

• dillondogdillondog Member Posts: 14
    I went to a dealership today in Pennsylvania and as expected he said he was not aware of any changes to the Wrangler for 2003 (except for Rubicon model). Its hard to tell if they are telling the truth or not because they just want to sell you something right away. Sorry this was not much help. Also check the Edmunds site for future car information.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I have not posted here in a while, but I do look at the posts here and it seems like you are getting thelma in the dirt quite often now which is great that's what jeeps are for. I have had my tj for a little over a year now and it has not been off pavement yet but sooner or later I will build up the courage to take it off road maybe even to a jamboree.

You said in your post there was a lot of mud did this create any problems as far as the clean up after you were done off roading?
  • tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I am anxious to know the same thing. I have been looking long and hard for info on the 2003's. I recently went to the International Car Show in Cleveland hoping to meet with Jeep factory people and maybe be able to get a hint of what is coming. When I went, all that was there were the local dealers who either did not know or would not say. I left a bit disappointed. There are plenty of rumors none of which carry any more weight than the last one. If you have not seen this site it may offer a hint of what is to come.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b010902.htm

I have been planning on ordering an '03 as soon as I can. I have heard that June 1 is about as early as they take orders for the next year. I am interested in the new color coming out for '03 called Inca Gold. Pretty sharp if you haven't seen it yet. It is available now on the PT Cruiser and will be available on Wranglers for '03, according to the "rumors". It has been a long wait but I am getting close now. Good luck and if you discover any reliable info on the '03 Wrangler let us know. I'm sure there are plenty of people lurking and waiting for early info.

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Wow! You did it again.

So what is going to be the first modification that you do on Thelma Jane?

Who got their feet wet, you or the guy with the wench? I used to try and carry an extra pair of shoes with me when I went off road. I found out the hard way when I had to be pulled out of a mud hole by a large John Deere tractor. That farmer sure wasn't going to wade through that stuff to get the chain to me. It would have been better to carry a pair of boots, but I never did. Used the garden hose quite a bit on the inside back in those days.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Congrats on the milestone (no pun intended but I'm sure tomster will think it was...ok it was). I still have the firechicken (JeepBoy's new name for my Firebird) and am squirming til things work out for me to get a Jeep of my very own. Just out of curiousity, remind me of the details. What was your downpayment and monthly payments, interest rate etc. ? I'm trying to think of every possible scenario to try and get one by the end of the summer if possible. Miss seeing you in Gill's chat room, if I'm not mistaken I think I'm the last female that regularly checks in. If you can get a moment or two some evening (I'm in class on Monday nights til 9:30pm cnt time) and help me out ;)

And to our visitor from across the pond, welcome and visit often. It's posts from other Jeep owners like you that keep potential owners like me that keeps the dream going strong!

Thelma must be grinning from headlight to headlight :) Keep takin her out to play tomster!

nice to see the activity in here, keep up the good work folks it's fun to see all of the posts.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
    Good to hear from you again!

The mud? Well, I go to a spray car wash as soon as I get back in town after a wheelin' trip and get Thelma as clean as possible there, concentrating mainly on her wheels and tires and her underbelly. Then, a good hand wash at home is the next order of business.

I have finally come around to the point that I realize that Thelma will lose a little something in appearance, and I can live with that for the sake of both of us having some fun on the trails.

Just to take her to a spray wash is more than I would have been willing to do not long ago! I would only wash her at home with a detergent specifically made for cars, one that would not remove any of the wax. A hand wash was always a minimum of a two hour job, since I would scrub every single spot of bug guts or road tar and get every tiny little thing off of her that could possibly be removed. Then I would chamois her off real good and black up her tires. Ok, I still do those things, but I don't spend as much time as I used to in doing it.

I still care about how she looks, but I am willing to compromise a little in order to have some fun offroading.

I need to find out what maintenance items might be needed for a Jeep that is taken off road regularly. I am sure they need to be greased more often, but there is probably other stuff too. The fluids in the differentials, transmission, and transfer case may neeed to be changed more often, for example. Some guys have told me that they remove the wheels and spray out the brakes real good after wheeling their Jeeps. I haven't done that so far.

I am no good at mechanical work, so I need to find a shop that will do that stuff for me. I guess I will have to learn to do some of that stuff for myself, though.

Jeeps were made for wheelin', and they are happy campers when they are on the trail. I just had to get to the point in my thinking that I was willing to take the plunge. It's all about enjoying the Jeep. I enjoyed Thelma more than any other vehicle that I ever owned, even BEFORE taking her offroad. If someone wants to stay on the pavement, I can understand that. Heck it took me over a year with Thelma before I was willing to try offroading. I now have a way of enjoying her even more! She is still as much fun to drive on the highway as she ever was, but I now have a whole new way of enjoying her in addition to highway driving.

Tom

Have you huggef your Jeep today?
    I don't think anyone got their feet wet during the winching process. I think the guy who hooked the cable to Thelma was able to stand on rocks or logs while he did it.

First "mod?" I think a locker for the rear will be the most bang for the buck in enhancing Thelma's capabilities. She doesn't even have Trac-Loc now. I didn't order that option. So, I will go with a Lock-Right locker, which is about the cheapest route to take.

One of these days, though, I want a selectable locker, an OX locker. They are about $600.00, and I would have to regear for one of those puppies, since they start at 3.92 ratio and go up from there. Thelma has the 3.73 ratio in her Dana 44. I can't regear until I lift and get bigger tires, so we are talking some MAJOR bucks, and that means a long wait.

I guess even before I get the LockRight, I will get a CB. That is really an essential, since I need to be able to communicate with the other Jeeps in the group when I go wheelin'.

I think I will get the CB this coming week, and the LockRight sometime in the next month or so.

I also need rocker guards, gas tank skid, etc, etc. You know what they say Jeep stands for...
    "Just Empty Every Pocket."

I'll just have to take one step at a time. But, heck, it will still be cheaper than trading vehicles evey year like I used to. Boy, did I ever get in the hole doing that! I was $8000 upside down on my trade-in on Thelma, if you will remember!

Tom

Good morning...jeepers.
    Wanna tell everyone HAPPY EASTER...
    Hope everyone has a GREAT day...enjoy your families.. Hopefuly nexxt week...har top will come off and soft top back on.
    I think im gonna try the no doors this summer.
    WOW Tom is turning into the TRUE jeeper now...
    Tom, on CB where ya gonna put it?
    I like the overhead security consoles..they look really nice. Thats what my plan is for next year.

Well take care jeeper..
    and KEEP JEEPIN!!

BamaTazz
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    I put mine in a CB Rack. You can check them out here. http://www.cbrack.com/ Some things I like about it are how well it hides the wires and also how it sits "up" into the roof so it hides the CB if you disconnect your mike cord.
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Tluke,thankyou for your comments and link to the Buzz watch site. The site was very interesting and I will continue to monitor it. I am in the same situation as you and even though I really wanted to have the vehicle for the spring,I have decided that I can wait a few more months with possible August/September delivery. I assume this is when 03 models will be available. If the changes do materialize great,if not,then I will order the new 03 product which I assume will have some minor upgrades and would have only lost a few months of enjoyment. I know that if I order one now and the changes do materialize,I will regret my decsion to not wait.
    Anyhow,this will give me a good excuse to save some more money for the down payment.
    Regards and good luck!
    Not that I am an experienced Jeeper or anything, but if you read a lot of posts by those guys, you will see that they are very fond of the 4.0L straight six.

The good old 4.0 is nearly indestructable by most accounts, and it makes real nice power at low RPMs... just what you would want for offroading. It also has enough horsepower for highway driving.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Just give me the good old 4.0 any day.

Tom

• tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    Here is something else you may find interesting. I found this site that list the start up dates and completion dates for model runs for most manufactures. According to this site the '03 Wrangler is scheduled to start production on 07-22-02. I'm sure you can place an order quite a bit prior to that date, most likely as soon as the dealers receive their prices and specs for '03. The truck I have now, which is a 99 Dakota, I ordered on June 1.When I got the truck it was a very early '99. I'm hoping to do the same with this one and order as soon as possible.

https://www.wheels.com/events/cutoffFrame.htm
    Thanks for the tip about the CB rack! I checked out the link you posted, liked what I saw, and ordered.

I paid over the phone using my credit card and talked to Doug. He seems like a real good guy. He talked a little "Jeep" with me.

He said my rack would ship today. (Now all I need is a CB, an antenna, and some coax!) :)

tom

If you do the CB installation yourself, don't forget to check the SWRs, assuming they haven't come up with some easier way of matching your radio with the antenna. I haven't had a CB since the early '80s but recently found my old meter!
    Thanks for the tip. I will probably have a Jeep buddy that knows what he is doing install the CB for me. I am no good at stuff like that! I am no good at anything mechanical and totally ignorant when it comes to anything electronic. Many would say my ignorance is not limited to any specific endeavor. :)

Tom
    There, I just had to do that! :)

I feel better now.

Tom

"...Who got their feet wet, you or the guy with the wench?"

What wench?

I must have missed that tale!

;-O
    when I was wheelin'. :)

tom

Have you hugged your Jeep (and your wench) today?
    Tom,

Glad to hear that worked out for you! Doug is a really great guy, very helpful. I got my Antenna mount from ... http://www.turbocity.com/

Unfortunately there isn't a good spot on the TJ to mount the antenna so this is a really good solution. It slips in behind the tail light and makes a really clean installation. If you get a quick disconnect you can take the antenna off and a 4' Wilson or Firestik will fit right in the space between the windshield and dash, so it's there whenever you need it and it's out of the way.

It's best to draw power direct from the battery, but definately put a fuse somewhere in line. I wish you could see my install, it is something I did that I am very proud of. I even installed a PA speaker so I can yell at inconsiderate drivers when they cut me off... You should see the looks of people getting yelled at and not knowing where it's coming from!!! :->

Thanks again for the link. I think I might just have the boys in the maintenance shop at work fabricate a simple little antenna mounting bracket for me. I took those stupid plastic corner pieces off of Thelma Jane's bumpers, so there are a couple holes in the bumper near the end on each side. I can mount a simple bracket there. Whatcha think of that idea?

Tom

• madebw00madebw00 Member Posts: 13
    Howdy folks

I have been following this forum for a while, and some friends down here in North Texas and you guys and gals finally got me hooked - I went and bought a Jeep on Saturday. So much for Easter presents. He (she?) is an 89 TJ in rust red (hopefully no bad omen) with a tan hardtop. Got the straight 6 and the manual transmission. A/C too. And a CD player. 31" street tires. We will see what happens next. Hardtop will retire to garage until fall. Friend will lend soft top during summer. And then? We will see. Clayton here I come.

Greetings, yall!
    Welcome and congrats on buying the most fun vehicle in the world!

I've just had a taste of why I like my hard top on during the summer. This weekend I went to see family in my 18 month old Taco. It started to overheat and replacing the thermostat didn't help. So yesterday we drove back with the heater on and the windows open all the way. According to the World's Tallest Thermometer, located in Baker, it was 92 degrees out. Besides being totally windswept, I was hot and miserable.

So now I'm thinking of buying a new Wrangler to replace the Taco. I'm still not convinced that having only a couple of Wranglers is the best idea, but why not? I love mine, my other half has decided it isn't so bad and certainly more comfortable on long trips than the Tacoma.
    Let me correct this, it's a 1998 TJ that I bought. I know the 1989 is a YJ.

Any suggestions on what I could name him / her? I like the name Tomcat (love those F-14's) - but always open.
    That's not a terrible idea, the only problem is that you are going to need a looooong antenna to get above the top of the vehicle. Anything lower than that and your ability to transmit will be severely compromised. I know you frequent JeepsUnlimited forums, so check out the electronics forums and do a search with Stu Olsen in the name area. I did that and found more info about radios than I will ever need. He also has a great website up that can help you install your radio. http://www.stu-offroad.com
    Congrats on the Jeep! You ain't gonna be disappointed if it was fun you were lookin' for!

Hey, "Tomcat" sounds like a fine name to me. :)

Tom

Of course I hugged my Jeep today. I like it so much I didn't even go out for lunch, just picked up a salad (thanks McD) and sat in my lil red riding Jeep eatin' my greens. Found a nice spot in a parking lot under a tree. Very romantic!

;-)