Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    Didn't notice I designed an AWD model of the 500, that's where the price jump occured!

My bad!

GregC
  • giz180giz180 Member Posts: 4
    I know this is a 500/ Montego forum, but I saw this in the corner of the edmunds page. I thought its interesting!

http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/102969/article.h- tml?tid=edmunds.h..wkedmunds.headlines.1.*
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I asked to have the Milan forum, grouped into the Ford Fusion forum since it's virtually the same vehicle.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Link: Ford Fusion

:)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Unless something has changed, I don't think Ford is going to sell the Taurus alongside the 500. The Taurus was to be relegated to fleet sales only.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    since some 2005 Taurus models are already at dealers, along with some 2005 Five Hundreds (not many of each) I don't think there will be any question of selling along side each other. Locally a dealer has two Five Hundreds (1) Limited with CVT and (1) 6speed SEL.. This dealer also has (7) 2005 Taurus models listed in his inventory.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    And it was posted above that the Mercury warranty is longer than the Ford's. That is NOT true. They are identical.

The brochure for the Montego says the outside temperature display comes only on the Premium, not the Luxury (which, weirdly, is the base).

Is that true? Does anyone know? odd, if so, as it is on the Five Hundred!
    An online inventory check of (5) local Mercury dealers (within 25 miles) shows a total of (8) Montegos - five Premier models (1)CVT (4)6speed - three Luxury models (1)CVT (2)6speed
    John I just looked at window stickers for the Luxury and the Premier it shows the item as standard on the Premier which also includes a compass, no mention of either on the Luxury
    NvBanker,

The Taurus will stick around for awhile after the introduction of the Fusion...How long ? All depends on a few factors. My personal guess is 2 years, till new vehicle line is introduced in ATL. What exactly will occur with the ATL plant, is still being worked on.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    My dealership just got word that the cars are released. Mine should be in in 2 weeks.

None are physically on dealership lots at the moment.

Not many Tauruses on my lot at the moment, but there are a few 2005.

Mark
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Did anyone catch the ford 500 road test by C&D? the reviewer stated the car has only so so performance despite the six speed transmissions and the interior materials are a disappointment.

i guess ford needs to advertise more in that magazine.
  • dave2222dave2222 Member Posts: 78
    That was quite an over generalization. C&D said they thought the engine wasnt ultra-fast like the V6 Accord, but its more than enough for everyday driving and for people in that segment.

Secondly they also didnt just say the interior materials were a dissapointment. It was "hit or miss". They liked the easy access to the buttons and controls on the Five Hundred and loved the interior space. They though the seat was great, but also thought that it still incorporated some plastics on the dashboard. Thats hardly saying they hated it. One other thing I'd like to point out is that this is the BASE stripper model SE. They didnt give them the Limited of SEL.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    i would hope 200 hp is still more than enough power for everyday driving but no where did i read that in the article though. i doubt that C&D would disagree with that assessment however, but they did use the phrase "so-so performance".

and no where did i read "hit and miss" about their appraisal of interior materials ("interior materials are a disappointment", "plastic looks bargain-basement"). they did say the interior was well laid out but that's something entirely different.

no, the article was not overly negative but it wasn't a ringing endorsement either. and there are times when a follow up more detailed road test contradicts what the preview road test said.
    Thanks, ANT. Happy to stand corrected. I'm excited about all the new product coming from Ford - but I mourn the condition of the current Taurus. I remember how excited I was when my niece brought her brand new 86 Taurus LX up from Bakersfield, and left it with me for a week, while she flew out of town. After driving that car only one mile, I knew I would have one for my next car. I ended up buying an 87 Sable for me, and an 87 Taurus LX for the company, followed by an 87 Sable, an 88 Taurus LX, two 89 Taurus LXs, and a 90 Taurus LX all for the company. I converted half the fleet to
    Tauri. Also convinced my sister to buy an 87 Sable, followed by a 92 Sable. A drive in my Sable, convinced my cousing to buy two 89 Tauri, followed by a 00 Taurus that he still has. It was the most awesome, and revolutionary car I had ever seen, and had absolutely everything right. Now, when I rent a Taurus, which I do pretty often, I can't believe how far apart they are from the 86, particularly in seats, ergonomics, style, and even ride. Seems like it all got decontented away over the years and unnecessarily IMO. I'm hoping to have a similar reaction to the new 500 that I had to the original Taurus.
    Heh, the Taurus. I blame Jac on that one. Mainly because he concentrated more on buying car companies, than concentrating on the issues at hand and continue the updates. But that's another topic...
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    ANT14 & nvbanker: Ford management is finally making lemonade out of Nasser's lemons by using the Volvo 80/90 platform for the Five Hundred / Montego / Freestyle, building the Volvo 40 and Mazda 3 on the same platform, and building the Mazda 6, Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr on the same platform.

To me, the Five Hundred and Montego really are the long-overdue updates of the Taurus and Sable. The three side windows design has been improved, the seating position is nicely elevated, the back seat and trunk are big enough to really use and to differentiate the cars from competitors, the structure is much stronger and safer, the interiors are nice and full of useful storage places, and the drivetrains are modern (even though it sure would be nice to have a V8). It all should have been done five or six years ago, but better late than never.
    As I mentioned long time ago when this forum opened up, as you stated, this was Jac's bastardized project. Get an expensive platform and bring it down to Taurus like price levels. It wasn't feasable so hence, we have the 500.

Spawning the new Fusion off the Mazda6 platform was just a last minute revelation when Ford noticed how well performing that platform was, and how the media was receiving it.
  • ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    One feature I haven't seen mentioned is a stainless steel exhaust. Is this a "given" these days? I hope the 500 has one. (My 92 Taurus has one and I have yet to invest a dime in repairs)
    The last car I had a muffler go out on was an 89 Cherokee, so I sure hope they're all
    Stainless now...
    Yes, you'll be ok, no need to worry.
    A no-nonsense, simple car with good performance, especially with the CVT:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/auto/car-news-car13.html
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I disagree with you on the current generation Taurus. I owned and drove a 90 Taurus LX with the Vulcan for ten years and now have owned a 2000 SES with the Duratec for four years and 41k miles. The 90 was a very good car but the 2000 is much better. Everything about the 2000 Taurus is much much better than the 1990 version, including NVH, transmission smoothness, more features, more comfortable seats, etc. I could go on and on but will not bore you with all the details. And, I bought it for a bargain price of $18K, not a huge amount more than my 1990 Taurus cost new even after ten years of inflation, and a lot less than I would have paid for a V-6 Accord or Camry.

While Taurus may have slipped some to the ever increasing number of competitors, it is still a very good car, especially when you factor in the price, and is much underappreciated by those who do not drive it on a daily basis and write it off as a "rental car".

In any case, the 500, and coming in 2006 Fusion will bring Ford back to parity or perhaps surpass a lot of the competition.

With the increasing fragmentation of the marketplace with crossovers and more models from all manufacturers, it is doubtful any single model car will ever sell in the volumes that occured in the past, however.
    I hope all that is applicable to the 2005 model, I havn't seen a 2004! :-)
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I've seen 500s being tested here in Los Angeles for some time now. The styling although derivative is pleasing, and I like the high seating position. From what I've read, It might be an ideal family vehicle for someone who considers practicality over sportiness.

However, I'm wondering if, like the Taurus, it will become a darling of the rental fleets. Most Chrysler 300s I see here are rentals, and the 500 may also become a rental workhorse. I would certainly rent a 500, but if I owned one I would be dismayed to see fleets of them at airports.
    Just a bit surprised that the CVT appears to get worse mileage even though it "selects the optimal gear ratio" and that the range of ratios on the CVT extends beyond the 6 speed on the high end..

MPG
       21/29 (3.0L FWD 6-speed)
       19/26 (3.0L AWD CVT)
       20/27 (3.0L FWD CVT)

Gear Ratios
       CVT
          Ratio Range 2.41:1 - 0.41:1
       6-Speed Automatic
          Gears 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
          4.15:1 2.37:1 1.56:1 1.16:1 0.86:1 0.69:1
    Eder, the number's are taken from the EPA testing, which needs a major overhaul and many are aware of it. Real world number's will show the CVT does better in how we drive day to day.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    In tech papers on CVT's it has been reported that the actual effeciency of the CVT is higher than a conventional transmission in the lower gears and prior to converter lockup. However a conventional automatic in top gear and with the converter locked can approach 99% effeciency while the CVT is several points less. Friction of the belt or chain drive clamped against the pulleys appeared to cause this. Note that a Honda Civic HX CVT has 1 Mpg better city rating than the manual trans model but 4 Mpg LESS highway mpg than the manual.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    For anyone with x-plan access, here is an example of the x-plan pricing. This car had all options except AWD and safety canopy package.

1. 2005 Five Hundred Limited
    VIN: 1FAFP25135G104845

X-Plan*:

Total MSRP:
    $26,115.68(xplan)

$28,230.00(msrp)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    WHat's X-Plan?
    A discount plan offered to Ford suppliers and "partners." You must be eligible to use it.
    A, X, Z Plans, are all plans that allow Ford employee's, their relatives, their friends, supplier's, etc. (even the Maid if you wanted to) to purchase a vehicle with a discount. You get a "PIN" and use it when purchasing your vehicle and they tell you how much your eligible for.
    The last post is a little misleading, "A" plan is for current Ford employees and immediate specific relatives (no friends), the "Z" plan is for retired Ford employees and specific relatives (no friends), the "X" plan does not enjoy the discount afforded to the "A" & "Z" plans but never the less a significant savings can be had for "Friends of Ford" - suppliers, distributors, many corporations, university, friends of active Ford employees and still others.. There is also the "D" plan sponsored by Ford based on specific requirements for Ford dealership employees.
    Didn't go into the details of what each one does differently, just stating in general what they were.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First Five Hundred rolled off the carrier today. SEL AWD Red Fire with gray gut.

I personally think a beige gut would go better with red exterior...(or black as on limited)

Sticker is $28,800ish with a Roof and Leather as options. Traction control is std right now.

Hope to go for a ride as soon as it leaves prep.

The brake rotors are immense on this thing.

Mark
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I was very impressed by the USA Today review, and am looking forward to driving one. When are the market numbers that are spoken of in terms of acceleration going to be released? Additionally, ANT, which "rivals" is James Healy speaking in his several comparisons to those models?

~alpha
  • bobbymcgee1980bobbymcgee1980 Member Posts: 11
    "The brake rotors are immense on this thing."

Do you think 15 or 16 inch wheels would fit over those rotors?

I like the 500, and want one, but personaaly, I can't afford 17 or 18 inch high performace tires, and with only 200 horsepower, I really don't see where this car needs them anyway. Besides, I drive about 20,000 miles a year, and don't want to plunk down $1,000 a year on tires I wouldn't need if I had smaller wheels.
    No, the rotors will not fit over wheels that small. In addition, if you ever had a serious accident and injured someone else after modifying the wheels, your insurance company MAY not cover you. Just a thought. And handling would be adversely affected, as well.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You should get at least 40K miles out of the OEM 17" tires on a 500. I have never had problems getting at least that, and though I am not an overly agressive driver, I am not that gentle. My 2000 Taurus with 16" tires is at 41K now and will go at least another 8-10 K before I think of replacing them. I don't plan on spending more than $70-$80 per wheel for new tires that will be better performers than the OEMs.

My guess is you will be able to keep tire cost to under $100 a wheel, unless you buy super high performance tires, which you will not need to do.
    Thus, we are talking maybe at most $400 every two years in your situation, or only 20% of your "$1000 per year" exageration.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    You can buy a set of four performance 17" and 18" tires, even top ones such as the Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS for About $100 per tire. For example, discount tire direct has the 245/55/18 g-Force T/A KDWS at $97 each.

I drive 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year, and easily get over 40,000 miles out of each set of tires.
    Alpha,
    " When are the market numbers that are spoken of in terms of acceleration going to be released?"

You mean acceleration times, didn't those already come out, 7.4sec-8.4sec.

Bobby,
    "I like the 500, and want one, but personaaly, I can't afford 17 or 18 inch high performace tires, and with only 200 horsepower, I really don't see where this car needs them anyway."

If these vehicle had smaller wheels, it would look sooooo ugly, because the porportions would look quite different having the wheel wells exposed so much.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I'm a little leery about getting a car for which snow tires seem to be difficult to find. I'm currently running an RWD car with all seasons and it ain't pretty, but even with FWD, ABS and traction control, I'd feel a bit more confident with snow tires on a brand new car. The old one's a beater so I'm less worried about it and I hadn't been needing to do lots of driving the past couple years so I never bothered to invest in winter tires. A new car would change that though.
This discussion has been closed.