Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Well, my '98 Wrangler (my noble black steed) just passed that big milestone. While I was crawling along the I405 on the Sepulveda Pass it went past 100,000 miles. It's been fun having it as our daily driver, but judging on scowl on my other half's face when we filled up this evening, I think the Taco is going to get worked on this weekend. That $7.00 plus every two days increase in fuel consumption has finally gotten to him.

Sure hope there's going to be another 100,000 miles travelled in it, because I don't want to replace it for another 3-4 years.

Doors - I have full doors because we got a hard top. The fact that there is no place for my elbow does bother me, but then, the Taco isn't any better. Since I'm small I just lower the steering wheel and that helps my shoulders, since I don't have a place to rest either arm (I'm too far forward to make any use of the center console).
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    From reading the info on some other boards, it sounds like that when DC redesigned the intake manifold for the 2000 model year, they ended up with a dish shaped cavity just above the #3 cylinder. The fear is that debris (leaves, pine straw, etc) could build up in that area, get heated up by the engine heat, and potentially start a fire. I read this late last night and haven't had a chance to look at ours yet, but will do so tonight. The fix is suppose to be a shield that covers the dip in the mainifold and prevents anything from collecting there. I'll take pics tonight and post them so other owners can know what to look at for "debris accumulation". If you're worried about it right now, pop the hood and make sure you haven't collected any leaves, grass, etc. on top of the engine. I doubt it's a very common occurance unless you are off pavement a lot or make a practice of driving through piles of leaves!

It was noted that there have been no fires, just a risk. As painful as it is to have another recall item to deal with, I think it's a positive step that DC is doing the right thing on this. DC mgmt. must figure that dealing with this in the open before anything bad happens is a better alternative than a large suit if someone were to be hurt. Guess I'll be back at the dealer in May!

Mtngal - congrats on 100k!

-twylie
  • spd99spd99 Member Posts: 3
    Is it an absurd idea to commute 150 miles/day in a Wrangler Sport? I think I know the answer, but I just love the Jeep!
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Great Question, and one that will probably get lots of responses.

The quick answer is, it depends on you.

Wranglers are loads of fun, with comfortable front seats. Today's Wranglers have lots more creature comforts than those of old. (OPtions like cruise control, automatic, and pretty damn good sound systems...) And for off-road, there really isn't anything better.

My wife loves her Sahara, and wouldn't own anything else.

Downside is noise (particularly on the ragtop), a truck- like suspension (It's designed for off road...), a joke of a rear seat (An option on the SE), and, most important to me,

Gas mileage stinks.

The I-6 is a great engine, but is designed so it will be dependable when you need it and give you lots of off-road power.

My wife and I compromise. She gets to drive the fun Wrangler and I drive the boring gas-sipper. So it works out.

So, good luck with your vehicle search and hope this helps!

AppState88
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    No it isn't an absurd idea to commute 150 miles/day in a Wrangler Sport, if you don't mind paying the gas. I've been doing exactly that off and on for the last 3 years (how long we've been living 75 miles away from work - the Wrangler is a year older). Mine still has the original clutch and brakes. My commute includes an elevation loss and gain of close to 6,000 feet (live in the mountains, work at sea level). In the winter temperature ranges from 20 to 70 degrees, in summer from 70 to 100+, high winds are common any time. The first 12 miles going home is slow & go, so I have a bit of everything.

And after 4 years and 100,000 miles, I'd still rather drive the Wrangler than the Tacoma!
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    You say that you have 1.5 acres, is that open for a goat or does that also contain a garden, house, shed, etc?

If you go goat you need a good fence to keep them in. The saying is that if a fence won't hold water it won't hold a goat. Stock fence is what we use, they go through four or five strand barb wire. Electric fence with multiple strands should also do the trick. Even with good fence they still find ways to beat the system (leave a gate open, etc.). If they get through the fence they are going to go for that bush or tree that is the only one that you do not want them to eat. They can find the smallest hole and exploit it, but can't figure out where the gate is when you are running them back.

If a tree is small enough they will actually walk it down to get to the leaves. They will also get up on your car if that will help them get to the food or your air conditioner, dog house, picnic table...........

Do you have a problem with dogs running loose in your area? If so, you could turn up with a dead or injured goat.

They like to browse and lush green grass is not their favorite thing. They go for weeds, trees to include the bark on some, your vegetable garden, flowers, etc. They can and will over graze an area. I would think that you would need to supplement their feed especially in the winter which means getting hay along with pellets that have the minerals that they need.

If you have a problem with internal parasites you will need to worm them. In the wild they are always on the move and tend to browse high so that worms are not as much of a problem. You also might have to trim their hooves if they do not get a chance to wear them down on rocks and such.

Goats are herd animals so they are not real happy being alone. If you have two, what the one gets into the other will also.

I like them and think they are great to have around, but they can be a pain in the behind. Get yourself a Red Ryder BB gun to help move them from areas that they should not be in.

Go goat and get the Wrangler so they will have a toy to play on. Get the hard top model so that it will be easier for the goats to stand on.

Are you going to go goat?:)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks Oceantoad! Sounds a bit overwhelming :-). (about .8a is fenced pasture here).

Spd99, if you refresh the page after posting, you'll wind up with duplicate posts. Try clicking somewhere else on the site and then come back to Wrangler.

Mtngal, my congrats too on your 100k milestone. Nice to see a Jeep start to get broken in.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "Are you SURE you can't live with the four banger?"

All is not lost if you own a 4 cylinder jeep. What were the original Jeeps, anyhow, maybe 60HP???

http://www.dirtroad.com/proj97tj.htm

http://jeepunlimited.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001091-2.html

http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/Engine_Upgrades/

You'll really like this one:

http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/

Spoke to DC this morning and was told my Sport that I ordered had been shipped on the 15th (my birthday) and they gave me the number of the rail car and rail line that it is on.

Went to the Norfolk Southern web site and punched in the car number. At 1045 EST the train left Elkhart, IN and was headed for Mesquite, TX.

Things seem to be moving swiftly since having ordered on the 1st.

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    A good number of serious off-roaders are switching to autos over the recent years. I have a manual and like it but at times I wish I had an auto when you get in some tricky spots.
    Bestop makes the upper half sliders. I kindof don't care for those because they are around $400 and then you only get half a window. I do like that could always just slide the upper halfs off and toss it in back.
    I would go test drive a TJ with full doors and half doors on a windy day.
    I like my half doors because it could be cold or rainy in the morning but at lunch or the drive home I can take my top halfs off and throw them in the back. Or I have my upper halfs off and top down and if it gets cold or rainy that afternoon I can put my top back up and upper halfs back on.
    You can't get full soft doors from the factory. I am not positive but full soft doors should work with the factory top.
    Jeep came out with a redesigned soft top for 01. It is a 4 ply top made out of a different material. It is suppose to have 50% noise reduction. It does make a signifcant difference.

I am in Houston. I was out at the slab a few weeks ago. Fun place to wheel. It is northwest of Austin.
    thebigkahuna
    Check your local paper and see if anyone else is selling a Jeep similiar to yours for the same price. I have heard people having good luck with auto trader.
    You dealer is willing to do all the paper work and financing? Make sure you are getting a good deal and the best rate you can.
    Nothing wrong with a buying a used Jeep. I would get an 01 if you want the newer soft top.

spd99
    I think it is absurd to have a 150 mile commute. :)
    The only problem I would have is filling up every other day. Just make sure you can live with the gas mileage.
    Larry R provided the following link to track rail shipments. He said it updated more frequently thatn the NS site. I'll get it out on my page later this week.

http://my.uprr.com/pet/

-twylie

• spd99spd99 Member Posts: 3
    Is it an absurd idea to commute 150 miles/day in a Wrangler Sport? I think I know the answer, but I just love the Jeep!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, it wouldn't bother me a bit to drive a Jeep that far, except that it would put tons of miles on the Jeep.

As far as comfort goes, though, I think it would be just fine to drive that far. The gas would be a problem, but if you can afford it and you would really prefer to drive the Jeep, then go for it.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    You might want to consider a more road oriented tread.

If you don't offroad at all, a performance type tread might be good. You can get something like these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=255%

2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&do=Search

(just copy and paste the second half of the link, remembering that there are no spaces)

If you still don't get it, go to http://www.tirerack.com/ and put in 255/60R15 as a tire size.

• markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone here run with just a bikini top full time? I'm considering putting a bikini on, taking out the carpet, and pulling the plugs for the summer. Just curious if anyone does this- not worried about the rain, other than it getting to the stereo, steering column, etc. But if I have the doors and bikini, that shouldn't be too big of a problem, right?

I wish they made one that allowed you to put the soft top on over it without removing, but not yet for TJ's.

Also- I have heard the tops that require drilling are the best? Anyone have experience with either?

Thanks a lot- I LOVE having the top down and doors off, but my sunburn is begging for something to be done....
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    texasjeep, yes, people are selling their 4 bangers (2000's and 2001's) for the same to a little less than me. Auto trader is good advice, I will try that next, thanks for the tip. My dealer is really helpful. They are willing to do all of the paper work and the financing for the new owner simply because I will be buying my new Jeep from them. I will be getting the friends and family Chrysler deal---1% under invoice. Also, Jeep is offering 3.9% for 5 years so my rate will actually be going down considerably from what I am paying now. My new ad appeared today and already, I have gotten several phone calls. It is 95 degrees here so maybe now is a better time to sell than when my ad first appeared (40-50 degrees.) I'm crossing my fingers!
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I have the no-drill Bestop bikini header and hardly use it, though that may change this summer. Beware that the bikini does not necessarily work OK with the full doors--the water can just pool in the bikini and run down the inside of the doors. Hopefully you live in a western climate--I'd be nervous otherwise considering the volume of water that can come down in those eastern summer t-storms.
    Durning the summer I have run just a bikini. It is not bad. I keep a towel under the seat or consol to dry the seats off if they get a little wet.
    I have the no-drill header. I am thinking about selling it. I didn't want to drill in my Jeep but now wish I went that route. Putting the header on and storing it are kindof a pain. I sometimes like to road trip somewhere with the top on but once I am there I may want to switch to the bikini. Be nice to just throw the bikini on instead of putting the header on and having to store both.
    We ran the drill version bikini during the hot and rainy part of the summer last year. See below for info and pics:

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm#bikini

The drill version requires the patience to install the header but is easy to slip on and off once the header is there. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. We garage our Jeep, but did get caught in a few heavy downpours. A towell under the seat and a squegee to clear the inside of the windshield if you have to drive are all that are needed outside a sense of adventure...

HTH

-twylie

I snapped a few shots of the area the 4.0 recall is concerned with. Hope this helps. When you look in there, its basically the are between the throttle body (connects to the big black tube from the airbox) and the valve cover. It's tough to see the "debris collection area" in the photos but this should point you in the right direction if you're concerned about cleaning it out before the recall work can be done.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/manifold.htm

-twylie

• dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Keep us up to date on the latest location of your Jeepie to be ;) Can't wait to see some pics when you get them...post them here and Gill's so I'm sure to see them. It'll give me inspiration for when I get mine :)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

dwrangler
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

I have a 4-cylinder SE. Is my Jeep being recalled too, or is it only the 6-cylinders?

yellowman
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Well, had the Jeep in for an oil change (Mobil 1 of course) and I also had the air filter replaced. Despite criticisms, I went with Fram on both the air and oil filters. Got the tires rotated, and my guy told me I'm at 50% on the front brakes and 80% on the rear, so I might have the front ones changed next time. Does this sound about right? I do use the Jeep as an everyday driver in city traffic, so there is a lot of stop-and-go.

yellowman
    The 6 cyl are the only ones being recalled for the issue posted above.

Front brakes will wear out faster than the rears. When the time comes to replace the pads, you might want to consider Performance Friction pads from Autozone. They perform much better than standard pads and are recommended by many Jeepers.

-twylie
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I think your Jeep might be on the ignition recall, but maybe not. The ignition recall was for Jeeps made between certain production dates, and yours might have been built after the ending date.

As Twylie said above, the recall for debris build up is for the 4.0 engine only.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • shane202shane202 Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to order a 2002 in Silverstone when I was told that color was no longer available. No dealership knows why or will tell me, and Jeep said only that a different color silver will be available next year. Does anyone know of any problems with this color or have any information at all? I'm just wondering if I should pick one of the remaining one's off the lot. Thanks for a response.
    I saw the advice on Performance Friction pads from Autozone. What about for rear drum shoes? How about for rotors and drums themselves?

Any seconds on these? Any other alternatives?

Thanks.
    Now that it is 80-90 degrees here in NE, I have the doors off (hardtop hopefully this weekend, unless it snows, and April/May snow is HEAVY!).

I am wondering who has had what kind of luck with the mirror relocating brackets or other mirrors or advice for use when doors are off.

Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealers Prepare for Jeep Recall

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know where I can find locking wheel hubs for a 1990 Jeep Wrangler?
    shane202

My GUESS would be that it has something to do with sales. It seems like Jeep has been dropping and adding colors lately.

jayorion
    Warn has some good ones.
    http://www.trailquest.com/warn/fwhc.shtml

anonymous02
    I haven't been using mirrors. Some people mount CJ style mirrors. I probably will go with sun performance but their passenger side mirror is basically useless. I haven't heard of anything better.
    Have you tried www.4wd.com and www.quadratec.com? They have a lot of those types of parts.
  • jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    I've been looking into relocating my mirrors, too, for the summer when the doors are off. I am planning on ordering the brackets soon, and moving my mirrors from off of the door. The ones I am planning on ordering are from quadratec.com, and they are part # 13125 00. These look like they basically move the mirror forward, off of the door and next to the windshield. I can let you know how well they work if you like.

Jeephead
  • cklausingcklausing Member Posts: 16
    I went through this whole mess some time ago, and actually have posted about it once a month or two back.

Basically, I went the replacement mirror route instead of the relocation route. I like where the mirrors are on my half-doors, and didn't really want to be taking them on/off each time I decided to ditch the doors (didn't know for sure if they would interfere with the doors openning if they were in the relocated position).

Ended up going with a pair of the Quick-Mirror-2's from Quadratec. These basically mount onto the windshield hinge, and are mirrors on extended arms. For the most part, I am satisfied, as they do let me legally drive without doors, but here are my thoughts:

1) very easy install. Total time was about 10 minutes, and most of that was just finding the right torx bit to use on the windshield hinge.

2) once you've got the brackets on, the actual mounting/unmounting of the mirrors takes all of about 30 seconds. Just screw them onto the bracket (which you can leave attached) and you are good to go.

3) The driver's side mirror works great so long as you make sure to get it good and tight. If you don't, the torque caused by the wind at highway speed will cause the mirror to rotate inwards on it's arm.

4) The passenger side mirror is pretty much useless at anything other than "around town" speeds. You'd think that it would just be a mirror image of the driver's side, but it is totally different in style. The differences make it REALLY easy for the wind to get ahold of and torque the mirror and arm on the bracket. No matter how tight I attached it, as soon as I got above about 40mph, it started to pivot.

At this point, I could get an extra driver's side mirror kit, and just use the arm to mount the passenger side in the same way as my driver side is done. Or, I could do what I'm currently doing and just go without a passenger side mirror. With the top and doors off, it isn't like it is exactly difficult to see what is beside me!
  • desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    Hi ya'll! I've got a patriot blue 2002 Wrangler X 4wd, all the good options, and tan soft top and interior. I've got some questions concerning getting a bikini top and duster. Does anyone have much experience with the bestop safari bikini top, duster, and windjammer? If I've got my top down and it rains, is there anything to protect my radio, speakers, sound bar? Or will it be affected at all? Also, I've noticed that there isn't much if anything out for the 2002's, is there that big of a difference between 01's and 02's? I live in eastern NC so it can rain at the drop of a hat.

des'
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    To Texasjeep and goducks1

Thanks for the help. I'm new to this. Just got this Jeep a few months ago. I'll try your recommendations.
    Thanks Again
    Jay
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    You mean I have ANOTHER recall to take care of?
    I just got the Ignition recall done now I gotta take it back for another? Is this NECESSARY??
    just wondering..

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Congratulation on your noble black steed becoming a 100k member
    I've got info and pics on my site on the bikini and duster. I just got a windjammer to complete the set, but haven't had time to install it and see how it works. http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mods.htm

The set isn't waterproof as you'll end up with areas around the doors that would allow water to get in, but it makes a nice alternative to using the soft top and carrying the windows with you at all times. We ran the duster without the back seat most of the summer and it was nice to have a little more storage space for running errands. Since we left the duster on, we used the bikini to cover the front area so we wouldn't have to put the top back up (requires removing the duster). The bikini is prety good at keeping rain out as long as you're stopped. When driving, you get blow back around the windshield and over the top of the bikini onto the back of your head. I'll see how much the windjammer helps with this. We got in the habit of folding our seats forward when we went in somewhere and kept a towel in the back to dry off anything that gets too wet. Let me know if you have any questions.

-twylie

• big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    Does anybody have or know anything about 1999.5 Wranglers? I just had my brakes done, and the mechanic ran into problems because even though my Sport is a '99, he said it was made in the second half of the year and, as a result, it's more like a 2000 model for parts.

Anyone know what the major differences are between the first and second halves of that model year, or where I could find out? Would I be subject to the recall? Thanks!
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    I am about to swap tops as it has been about 70 the past week here in boston. I seem to have misplaced my torx bit that they give you, what head number do I need to get? Also, I have heard sailkote works wonders on making the zippers easier to use, any other suggestions?
    For removing my Jeep's hard top (a 1998), I use a T40 bit. You should be able to buy just that size at any decent hardware store.
  • desnodesno Member Posts: 28
    Thanks for your advice. I just don't want to invest money in something that's not going to do me any good. I hope that the windjammer/duster/bikini top combo works for you and helps keep out most of the rain, even in a good carolina downpour. It'll at least help me convince my wife to let me buy those cool seat covers! :-) I like the look and I want to be able to just have to store the half doors and not the rest of the windows with the top.

Please keep up the posts!! I love getting on here and reading and seeing the pics on the websites!
  • huckhillhuckhill Member Posts: 20
    I had a lot of luck with a best-top bikini on my CJ. But, beware that in one of those sudden downpours (l lived in Asheville, NC and those downpours are pretty much every afternoon), you will get a lot of water coming from behind you while driving, so you may want to consider mud guards. Also, when the jeep was sitting still, it would collect quite a lake in the bikini top and tipping the water out without soaking yourself or passangers was quite a trick. And, I would not spend a fortune on the top unless you can secure it. Easy-off can mean easy-gone.

But, having said that, go for it. It is still worth it for summer motoring!
    I had to have a zipper repaired, and the lady told me just plain old silicone spray works great. She said to keep the zippers clean with warm soapy water, then rinse with plain water, THEN after it dries, spray the zippers with silicone.
    After having rested for a day or so in the state of Indiana, my Sport is headed for Texas.

Latest update shows it having left Salemn, IL at 0857 today. The ETA for Mesquite is on the 21st at 0645 (if I am reading this thing correctly)..

The time is not bad since I ordered it on the 1st of April.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    oceantoad, I definitely know what it's like to do the "rail watch". I spent an entire weekend reloading the site, anxiously awaiting each new location. It's both frustrating knowing your new baby is so close and satisfying knowing it won't be long. Keep us updated!
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Step one is to put the Firechicken (Firebird) up for sale. Well there are now two signs in the windows (of the doors) announcing that it's for sale. I'm going to call the local station to do just that. Hopefully I'll be selling it soon. Now if my Dad will remember that he said I could use his truck til I either found a used one or saved enough through the summer and early fall to get a new Jeep...I'm hoping for the new Jeep :)

Well I'll keep ya updated.

Hug you Jeeps for me.

;)

dwrangler