Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Here's a good article. Why use Premium when Regular will do?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Mine matches the window sticker.

Did you read it before you bought it?
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    Wow, excellent post, I always wondered....

Thanks
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Because my 05 Tacoma runs harsh and pingy on regular. I have tried all fuel grades, its 89 or better for me. Maybe its cause I drive a manual and live in hilly area... If you dont notice a diff with 87 vs higher grades, then save yourself some $. Way I look at it, its 60 bucks to fill w/87 and a whopping $61.60 for mid grade. I'll pay the $1.60 for a better running engine.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    what type of MPG are you getting?
    Thanks
    Check msg #31. Now with 10,500 miles, around sticker 16 City, 20 Highway. But over 21 mpg when staying around 60 mph. Mixed 18-19 mpg.
  • tacofiletacofile Member Posts: 2
    '05 V6 auto. SR5 towpkg 4WD DC SB w/shell, w/3700mi., 80 mi.(total) daily commute, 3/4 mountain roads 1/4 flat land. Started with premium now using mid and am considering reg on next tank. (Haven't noticed any dif between prem and mid except 10 cents per gal). I've been trying to keep accel.under 2000-2500rpm and my first tanks were 17.5mpg.and last few tanks were 18.3mpg. (one tank was 18.5). I raised my tire pressure to 45psi.(f+r) 'cause the recomended 29psi was killing me (and my tires) on the mountain roads. Increased inflation does give more "feel/bump" to the road but handling/cornering is WAY-WAY better and probably accounts for the 1mpg gain. Haven't been on any trips yet but am anxious to see if it's possible to get into the 20s. My friend has a '05 4cyl(2.7), 5spd.man.,extnd.cab, 4WD, LB w/shell (tires/36f-32r/psi.) and got 25mpg on a recent trip.
  • dockeendockeen Member Posts: 68
    Did you get the shell for it when it was new?

Wayne
  • neonwaterneonwater Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at getting a 2006 Tacoma Pre-Runner with a 4 cylinder/5 speed regular cab. What kind of mileage are owners getting, and what type of driving and what kind of weather?

I have a 94 Toyota pickup with a 4 cylinder and 5 speed. I get 30 mpg with 75% being freeway driving at about 70mph in Los Angeles area weather. Only mods are a Amsoil airfilter and cat-back exhaust 2.25" with a Dynaflow muffler. Everything else is stock-134,000 miles. My truck is rated 22/27 mpg. I see the 2006 Prerunner is 20/27. Thanks.
  • ergoonergoon Member Posts: 3
    Here in Houston, I have been told by 2 dealers that Toyota is not offering the 2.7l with the PreRunner due to the lack of demand. Very disappointing, it will be interesting to see if that changes now that gas is over $3/gallon.
  • neonwaterneonwater Member Posts: 4
    A dealer near me has three PreRunners with the 2.7. The one I want has the SE options with air, chrome grill+ rear bumber, buck seats, slide rear window, body colored front bumper/flares and leather steering wheel/shifter. I was quoted $16254.
  • hornet303hornet303 Member Posts: 1
    I had a hard time finding a 2005/06 2.7I Pre-runner access cab. I was particular and wanted a black one with manual tranny. Id been looking for some time, but was able to "order" one thru my credit union. It took 6 weeks or so, but I just picked it up. Still on the first tank of gas. I too was told about the "highly unlikelyhood" of finding this car, but was told by one dealer that Toyota "primed" the 2005's in 2003. He said priming is when they do all the market research and such to determine demand. So back in 2003, gas prices were somewhat normal. I imagine the 2.7i's will have a higher demand now.

Before I had a 1996 4x2 4cyl regular cab Tacoma. The 4cyl 2006 isnt the most powerful thing. Added weight (prerunner and access cab) seem to pretty much wash the extra HP. But Im not a lead foot driver. I just wanted something that was cool like a truck, but smarter on gas as well. The sticker said 20cty-27hwy.
  • ergoonergoon Member Posts: 3
    That is the exact truck I am/was looking for. What part of the country are you in? I would not mind the wait if I could get someone to order it for me.
  • sg542sg542 Member Posts: 8
    I am currently considering upgrading to a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD V6 6sp., but the gas mileage is a real turn off at 16 mpg on the sticker. Would a K&N Cold Air intake make any kind of difference to the mpg numbers for this truck? I am currently running a 2000 Tacoma with the 2.7 4cyl. motor, and getting 21-23 mpg. If the new Tacoma got around 18-20 I would feel better about buying one. Any info on the benfits, or even if one is available, of a Cold Air intake for the new Tacoma's would be greatly appreaciated, sethgree@gmail.com. Thanks
  • jeff31jeff31 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 04 new in March of 04. Mileage has steadly but slowly increased. I'm running about 20.5 mpg now on my 4x4, V6, xtended cab, off road package. Driving is mixed, intown/hiway. I increased mileage about 1 to 1.5 mpg by switching to synthentic motor oil. (mobil one, supersyn) Also increased mpg by much more gentler acceleration. I try and get it to shift at 1800-1850...a real switch from how I "used" to drive.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    I have an '05 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road V6 6 speed manual... Sticker said 16, but I am getting around 18mpg now with about 6000 miles on it....

Hope this help.. You'll love the truck!!
  • tacofiletacofile Member Posts: 2
    Didn't get the shell from the dealer but right after I bought the Tacoma. Chose a Snug-top over a Leer even though the price was almost double ($2300). I had a Leer before on my old truck, and liked it, but thought the Snug-top was a better "Taco-shell". Did get a few extras though (racks and such) 'cause I plan on having it a while and doing multiple tasks. I was hoping I'd see improvement on mpg with the shell but didn't notice any change. Changed to regular on my last tankup and haven't noticed and change in performance. Does anyone know if a lower grade gas will affect the fuel injection system? I had a Vista wagon a while ago and after shelling out SOME bucks to clean up the injection system was told my usage of regular gas was the cause. (And this was a 4 banger!).
  • sg542sg542 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply, makes me feel more confident about the truck if your getting 18 after 6000 miles. How do you like the 6sp.? I test drove an auto, (dealer in my area didnt have a manual with TRD package I wanted yet), so I am curious as to whether other people like it. I was told by a dealer the auto tranny got better mpg than the 6sp. Is this true in real world driving? Thanks again everyone posting on this board, as it has been really helpful in making my decision.
  • ruskastudruskastud Member Posts: 34
    Sticker on tho automatic is actually 1MPG better for both Highway and City... I knew I wanted a manual, so I didn't even test drive an automatic. When I picked it up, my salesman had just taken it to the gas station to fill it up for me and he commented that mine had a lot more get up and go than his automatic did...

It did take me a long time to find exactly what I wanted, but it was worth the wait.

The manual is great... The only thing I might try is the URD short shifter which shortens the shifts down approx. 44%....

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_73&products_id=1230100023

There are some posts on it in the other forum....

Good luck, and happy truck hunting!!
  • aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    "Low Grade" gas shouldn't be an issue in regards to fuel injectors. The problem is more with "cheap" gas than low grade. Places like Arco, Costco and no-name stations use gas with more fillers that, over time build up residues on the injectors - that causes a problem. Gas brands such as Shell, Chevron and Mobil use proprietary additives that tend to keep fuel systems cleaner.
    Of course, this is all over long periods of time - getting a tank of Arco won't ruin you, but using it all the time might.
    First tank of regular gas - well, 2/3 regular, the rest was premium - got 21.83 MPG

2005 DC LB, 4x4, Auto - mixed local highway and city. Florida

Wayne

p.s. Gas has come down here a ton in the last week. Regular was up in the 3.10 to 3.20 range just a week ago, down to 2.60 to 2.70.
  • 3tacoma3tacoma Member Posts: 15
    05, Double Cab, 4x4, Short Bed

13,400 miles

19.4 average

Best mileage 23.9 (100% Highway)
    Worst mileage 15.9 (100% City)
    87 Octane Only
    My tank has never seen Premium or +. Whoever is putting premium or plus in their tank at the current prices must be retarted.
    I may be retarded, or simply curious, but I can spell it right.

;)

Wayne
    The Mazda B3000 that the Tacoma is replacing ran significantly better on premium by the way, the Tacoma did not seem nearly as sensitive to the lower octane...

The B3000 goes away Tuesday.

:cry:

I am going to miss it - 117,000 miles of minimal trouble...

Wayne
  • naturalhighnaturalhigh Member Posts: 8
    Ok I finally hit the 18mpg mark that was driving so slow that I could barely stay awake. :sick:
    Keep it under 2200rpm about 60mph. Just do think I can get use to that, so I better get to work and not be playing on this computer.
  • datahcomadatahcoma Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I purchased a new 4 banger 2005 5-speed stick tacoma in July '05 and started out getting a solid 25 mpg on rural roads and highways (typically 2000-2500 rpm). Trips up and down Mass. Pike gave close to 27 mpg. After about 3,500 miles mpg started dropping to below 23 mpg and last tank yesterday (at ~5,500 miles) indicated about 21-22 mpg.

Do you folks know what gives? One station here does run 10% ethanol in the regular graded gas I run but I was using before, during earlier, higher mileage intervals. I thought mileage might improve after "break in". I have been driving it like a granny with light loads and meticulous shifting. etc.

Not sure why good mpg's declining??

Thanks for the real interesting forum here!

Aloha (wayward islander now living in western MA)

Aloha (wayward islander now living in western MA
    "I purchased a new 4 banger 2005 5-speed stick tacoma in July '05 and started out getting a solid 25 mpg on rural roads and highways (typically 2000-2500 rpm). Trips up and down Mass. Pike gave close to 27 mpg. After about 3,500 miles mpg started dropping to below 23 mpg and last tank yesterday (at ~5,500 miles) indicated about 21-22 mpg."

The Northeastern regional gas blends are back? After the Gulf coast got creamed, regional blends were suspended. My mileage noticably increased with better gas.

If your driving habits haven't changed, and you've actually established that the truck doesn't have a problem, I'll bet it's the gas. Have you checked your tire pressure as the temperature dropped?

21-22 does sound a bit low, however. My TRD V6 4x4 6speed gets ~20 on highway runs, and ~17 in-town.
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Damn, like a ghost town in here..perfect for Halloween!

I have an Off-Road 4x4 / Acc.cab V6 / 6M. Have about 10,600 mi. on the truck. He broken in just fine!! If I run highway only, I can pull maybe 20 mpg. Mix in some city drivin' w/ that (50/50), gonna be about 17/18. Don't wanna talk about all city. I probably could do better, but my foot won't let me!! I don't record every fill, just every so often for a guide.

I knew was I was gettin' when I bought this truck. Funny thing, it gets the same mileage as my old Nissan p/u with the Z24 twin spark engine.( no jab @ Nissan here)

That technology for ya!
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I have noticed that my taco gets about 20mpg going home for holidays going up hill, although it doesn't seem like up hill, but then on the way back i get 23mpg so i came to the conclusion that it is up/downhill, for example going there it takes me 1/2 tank to go 155 miles but on the way back it only takes me 1/3 tank to go the same amount of miles( I get gas at the same station everytime) but still love my taco after 12000 miles :)
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    I'm waiting for my '06 PreRunner V6 and am curious about what the MPG will be. This will be my 4th Toyota; one thing that I've noticed with the first three is that they take a long time to break in. Gas mileage goes up over time. So far, measured values:
    '03 RAV: 24 to 31 MPG (2wd)
    '95 T100: 20 to 25 MPG--better than rating; I note that the older vehicles often beat their ratings (3.4 V6 2wd)
    '87 Truck, 22R engine: 27 to 31 MPG (2wd)
    and now some non-Toyotas that amaze me:
    '05 Chevy Silverado with 4.8 V8: 21MPG (2wd) this is better than the 4.7 V8 in the Tundra which is lighter and smaller, go figure. The push rod V8, with less moving parts appears to be more efficient.
    '02 VW TDi: 47 to 51 MPG, I love it!
    My Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4, Long bed has so far (only have under 3000 miles on it) been pretty consistent at 21.5 mpg in mostly semi-city traffic.

Just this afternoon I filled up after going 391.5 miles with 18.17 gallons - it was my first time to see the gas light come on.

To the community - where does your light come on, in terms of gallons left?

Wayne
  • ctrlctrl Member Posts: 4
    4 Cylinder 05 Prerunner 5 speed manual 2wd 9200ml constantly 26-28mpg on 87 octane.
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    Sounds like the 4 cylinders really do great on gas...
    I'm anxious to hear more about the 4.0 V6. What grade of fuel are you using? I understand that Toyota says to use Premium for best performance--is this necessary? Does it affect mileage?

(I'm especially curious as my '05 Chevy Silverado V8 is getting 19 - 22 MPG on regular. And this big boy weighs around 5000 lbs, much more than a Tacoma, probably even more than a Tundra.)
  • chumbuggychumbuggy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Tacoma 4X4 double cab V6 6 speed manual tran, TRD sport truck. Have 6300 miles, drive mostly in the city and average only 15 mpg. Took a recent trip and on highway 70mph, with cruise set still only got 15 mpg. Curious as to why milage did not increase, used regular/hi-test gas no difference. Pulled a 8 ft flat bed trailer hauling motorcycle on trip back. Gas mileage dropped to 12-13mpg. Owned a 89 toyota truck and 02 tacoma both 4X4 extra cabs v6 standards with cruise set and 70 mph always average 20-23mpg.
    Out of curiosity, what tire pressure are you running, on what tires?

Wayne
  • chumbuggychumbuggy Member Posts: 3
    35 psi on BFG All Terrain 265/70/R17
  • cctruckcctruck Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 Tacoma TRD off road package #2 w 6 speed manual/ 6 cylinder. Love the truck but I'm only getting ~ 17 highway and ~15-16 mixed.

At 65 mph in 6th I'm turning right approximately 2500 RPM, and I'm curious to know if that is typical for those with other drivetrains - TRD sport and/or automatic.

It seems to me that the final drive ratio could be tweaked to reduce the RPM at cruising speed and increase MPG significantly. My reasoning is that the motor is barely being taxed at 65 MPH and, it seems, it could easily carry the same load at around 2000 RPM or less, which I suspect would increase MPG to 20+ (as advertised).

So if people with other drive trains would post their RPM/MPH we could look at the results and see if tweaking the final drive ratio is a reasonable way to maximize MPG.

Thanks,

DCraig.
    Dcraig, my 6spd Dcab TRD Sport turns 2500 at 70. My gears and even the diameter of my 17" tires are the same as your 16" tires, interesting... Is your truck new? my mileage sucked when new. Now I get sticker or better w/ no problem. I also use full syn oil. The auto turns at least 200 rpm less at highway speed due to its higher final gear. Over 65 the auto pulls 1-2 mpg better, below that I think its up to driving habits.
  • davis8davis8 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All, I'm new to the board. I've looked around these discussions concerning the fuel mileage folks are experiencing with the 4.7L V8 Tundra Crew Cab and haven't found anything specific to my question, so here goes...

I'll soon (within the week) be buying an 05 Tundra Crew Cab with the V8. Does anyone own this model and have some real fuel mileage data they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance
  • cctruckcctruck Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for replying. After reading your post I took a closer look and at 65 it's just below 25, closer to 24. At 70 it's 2500 so it looks like the final drive ratio is the same. My truck is a few months old, just coming up on 5,000 miles.

About when did you start noticing gains in mileage? The local service rep told me I should see it by 10,000 miles. I've only noticed a slight improvement in highway mileage, I think it was due to the shell.

Thanks;

DCraig.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The gearing is definitely something I think could have been better. I have no problem skipping 3rd and 5th. Seems they could have been a little farther apart. I have not pulled a trailer though, so that may make a big difference. I think 5th should be geared about where 6th is and then 6th higher. Sure do love flying through the gears though.
    Mileage got better after a couple thousand, at 11K now. I just put on the TRD Exhuast system, starting a new tank of gas, I'll post if I see any improvement. RPMS are the same, and sounds nice now.

As far as the shifting question, no need to use all 6 gears all the time. When towing or climbing up a hill, yes. But normal flat or downhill stuff I often only need 3 or 4 shifts to get to 6th. I like having right gear for the speed, only one that is missing is 7th for speeds over 70!
  • bishop5bishop5 Member Posts: 2
    Can't seem to get any better than 17 on the road and wondering if I need to go 45 mph to get any better. I am getting the same mileage as my neighbors V8 silverado out of my V6 prerunner. Whats up ? Anyone get brave and try to fix the windshield leaking and squeaking ? If so what did you use to seal it ?
    Why in the world would you try to fix a windshield leak yourself on a vehicle under warranty?
  • paratrooper82paratrooper82 Member Posts: 41
    Yes, I too have been consistently getting almost exactly 17 mpg driving around town. I really don't care, its within 1 mpg to the epa city rating for the V6.
    What sort of speed mix are you getting "driving around town"? A lot of stop and go?

I am guessing my average speed on commute is probably about 40 MPH. Unless highway 98 has an accident, I probably an in the range of 35 - 50 for most of the trip.

Very few hills (its Florida).

I am getting 21 - 22 MPG with my V6. I just hit 5000 miles this morning (and had the light come on for maintainance required) - I have not changed the oil yet.

Wayne
  • sport34sport34 Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road Pkg gets 28mpg on the highway at a steady 65mph. I haven't figured out city mileage yet.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I have to say that I am a little dissapointed with the mileage of my truck. I have a 05 4X4 double cab 4.0 6 speed manual with the #2 TRD Off Road package. I went with the 6 speed figuring the overdrive would give me better mileage and because I just love flying through the gears. Well, ok, I wanted the shifting and hoped for the better mileage. I have found that I can also skip a couple gears on the way to 6th. I have never had a stick with overdrive that didn't lug miserably in high gear at 45 MPH. I have found that I can set the cruise at 45 on side roads and not notice a bit of lug on the hills. That tells me that either the truck is over powered or under geared. From what I have seen, 6th gear is about where 4th should be. I have not pulled a trailer yet though, so maybe I will appreciate the gears more when I do, especially if I go up near the 6500 pound capacity. As for mileage, I have averaged about 17.2 through 4800 miles, with a high of 18.3 on a highway trip before I reached 1K, down to about 16.2 around town. But, the bottom line is that if I wanted good mileage I would have went with the hybrid. I love my Tacoma.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    In my 05 Double Cab V6 4x4 TRD Sport, I have gotten up to 24 MPG on a long distance road trip going 70 MPH or less. Once the engine breaks-in some more it will get better MPG. Plus switching to a good synthetic oil will reduce drag on the internal parts and help MPG a little more. A good wax job helps too. Keep your windows rolled up, if you can. Rolled down windows messes with the air flow around the cab and increases drag. Don't use the A/C or defroster unless necessary.

To help MPG even more, you can also check my CarDomain page for info on removing the 2nd air filter and modifying the airbox.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    I don't know about not using defrosters and AC since you paid to have them put on, but I use everything and live in the Ozarks in Missouri. We have some hills here and the mileage with a heavy foot in city is 18.5 mpg. If I lighten up, I can turn 20 or 21 mpg. And on the highway cruising at 70-75 I can top out at 24 mpg. This is an 05 4WD-Long Bed 5 spd auto Tacoma with 13000 miles. I drove to Indianapolis, Indiana and to Madison, Wisconsin and the mileage on the highway was the same. And I have to add that when I kicked in passing gear the truck really flies, but it sucks the fuel as well.