Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Aluminum Jaguars (XKR) - What do you think?

Comments

• gshocksvgshocksv Posts: 68
    I am not sure if anyone has metioned, the same Designer also designed the Aston Martin DB9, so the new XK shares a bit of DNA with the Aston (same parent company too).

The new XK sure is a hot car, my Jag dealer actually already has a poster of the XK since March of this year. I would love to test drive the car, I'll probably consider buying one used a few years later, depends on how I like the new restyled S-Type.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    Ian Callum styled the Aston Martin DB7 and started work on the DB9 while Henrik Fisker (who styled the BMW Z8) finished the DB9. Henrik Fisker worked for Aston Martin from 2001 until December of last year. Fisker now has a new car company. Ian Callum styled the Aston Martin Vanquish.

The 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage has a 4.3 liter 380 hp V-8. It uses a Jaguar 4.2 liter V-8, but the cylinder block, cylinder heads, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifolds, lubrication system and engine management are all unique to the 4.3 V-8 used in the new Aston. It also has dry-sump lubrication.

Jaguar's V-8 first came out with 4.0 liters in the 1997 XK8. It was heavily revised a couple years ago (now with 4.2 liters).

Your dealer likely has a picture of the Jaguar Advanced Lightweight Coupe which was shown in January, 2005 at the Detroit auto show.
  • gshocksvgshocksv Posts: 68
    Yes, they called it the "Advanced Lightweight Coupe", but I think everyone knew it was the next XK.

I like the new XK for the fact that it's heavily restyled and is certainly refreshing (I love the old one too, but after 7 or 8 years, it's about time to change). They should have done the same for the XJ. The restyled XJ wasn't revolutionary, heck, it wasn't even evolutionary. A lot of time I still cannot distinguish the restyled XJ and the previous generation XJ, and I think I've done my share of researches on Jags. I bet most people don't even know that the XJ was even restyled, that's probably one of the reasons it's not selling as well as it should have. It's latest reliability rating has exceeded its peers, yet it depreciates like a rock. Car and Driver had a long term XJ, and they felt it was shamful that the car depreciated so much considering how reliable and technological advanced it was.

BMW had a mid-life restyle on its 7 series, maybe XJ needs to do the same.
    The XJ needs a new front bumper. Perhaps something like the 2005 S-Type R's bumper would work well.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I wonder what they could do to fix that though. The basic shape I don't think can be altered because afterall the new car had to grow for more passenger space etc. I don't think they can re-capture the lean and feline look of the previous XJ, the look so many people seem to want back. I can tell the new from the old, but only after a careful look, so I'm sure most people who aren't into cars as much can't tell the difference.

I hope they break out with a stunning, yet new and good looking design for the next S-Type. I just don't see how the XJ can be changed enough to give it a new look. I don't think a BMW like face-lift will do the trick. It needs some new curves or character lines or something.

M
    autoweek.com said yesterday that the 2008 S-Type will have an aluminum body.

The 2005 Jaguar Super V8, the XJ flagship, weighs over 800 pounds less than a BMW 760Li.

Klaus Graf won today's race at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Graf also won the the Rookie-of-the-Year title.

Klaus Graf

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,629
    some of those new designs look good in certain photos and not so good in others.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the new pedestrian standars, designers are finding ways to work within them, photos of the new Civic which complies show a pretty sleek nose.

I hope the production XK8 loses the trim around the scoops and that the production S-type has cleaner looking headlights.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Autoweek.com said on August 26th that the 2007 XK weighs 3,671 pounds and will have 300 hp. Jaguar's V-8 first came out in 1996 on the 1997 XK8.

It goes on sale next spring and has a 31% increase in bodyshell stiffness over the previous generation steel-bodied XK. It uses the new XJ's aluminum chassis.

It has a more blunt front bumper in order to comply with new European pedestrian safety regulations. Henrik Fisker, Aston Martin's Director of Design from 2001 until December of last year, thinks the new regulations are a WASTE of opportunity.

check the link

Henrik Fisker interview

I hope Jaguar enters the new XK in sports car racing.

New aluminum XK

check the link for a video

video

more pictures and information

2007 aluminum XK
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the picture of the SuperV8 a few posts ago.

XKSS, you have very accurate and detailed info on Jag. I think many of us here appreciate them. Lifelong Jag owner/mechanic/dealer?
    No, I just really like Jaguars and have researched pictures, videos, and other stuff about them. I've driven a 2004 XJR and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I drive a 1991 BMW 318is.

I really appreciate that Jaguar has decided to reduce the weight of their cars (XJ, XK) while making them with more interior and cargo room. Many people complain about cars getting too heavy these days, but I wonder if they have noticed the new Jaguar XJ with its aluminum body and chassis. The new XJ's chassis is high-tech, but it isn't a computer with wheels like so many of today's luxury cars.

I'll have some more pictures of the 2006 Super V8 Portfolio coming soon.
    Klaus Graf won the 2005 Trans-Am Series Drivers' Championship on Aug 28th at Montreal. He is the first rookie Champion since 1989.

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Amen, xkss..... Jag isn't getting the traction they should get out of this innovation either. Lot of ignorance and prejudice out there towards Ford ownership - yet Ford saved the marque, and improved it about 3,000% from where I stand.....
    Jaguar should show more pictures of the XJ's aluminum chassis in commercials, ads in car magazines, and what not.

They haven't shown pictures of the new XK's aluminum chassis, but I think they will show them as it gets closer to production.
    The XK will get Europe’s first application of a pop-up hood system designed to meet new pedestrian safety rules.
    The new XK's 4.2 liter 300 hp V-8 has a new intake, exhaust, engine management system, and a broader torque curve.

Low-pressure areas behind the front wheels help draw air through the side vents.
    But I wish Jaguar had updated the design just a tad, when they overhauled the engineering, so that you could tell it's a new aluminum Jag easily.
    I agree. Ian Callum didn't start the new XJ....Geoff Lawson did and he styled the X300 (95-97 XJ), X308 (98-03 XJ), 217 mph XJ220, the XK8, and some other cars including the new XJ. Callum will have a tough time with the next XJ, but he did style the DB7 which was one of the most gorgeous cars of the 1990s.
    Then there's hope for the future. As you say, the DB-7 & DB-9 are to die for.....
    Autoweek, unfortunately I can't get them to come up in the electronic version. :(

can we post pictures of the new XK from autoweek in here?
    - Pyrotechnic Pedestrian Deployable Bonnet is a world first

- System operates in less time than it takes to blink

- Advanced Sensing system can distinguish between different impacts

- Over 120 man years dedicated to system development

- Bonnet is raised in around 30 milliseconds using forces up to 50 times the force of gravity

Jaguar is one of the first manufacturers to meet Phase One (there is a more strict phase coming in 2010) of new European safety legislation using an active deployable bonnet system. The new standards are designed to help mitigate the severity of injuries to pedestrians in the event of a collision with a car.

The bonnet (hood) weighs 18 kg.

You have to wonder what would happen if drivers and pedestians were just more careful and if legislators encouraged car safety instead of dictating it.

The numbers are seconds.

- It weighs 3,759 pounds

The triple-lined, fabric roof - which can be powered up or down in less than 18 seconds - stows fully out of sight beneath an aluminium tonneau cover when retracted. A roll-over protection system comprising two 'hidden' aluminium hoops that deploy in the event of an incident is standard on all XK Convertibles.

It goes on sale in the Spring of 2006.

What will they think of next. Very impressive, but I think it is somewhat ridiculous to make carmakers design cars for people who can't stay out of the street. I mean why not take the top 20 places in Europe where car + pedestrian accidents are highest and find out why it happens so often. Hell at the right speed all this system is going to do is throw the person in the air if they car doesn't do it at impact, you won't be surving that.

As always the convertible XK is better looker to my eye. Gorgeous in those pics. Now about that grille...... :(

M
    The current XKR's grille looks better than the current XK8's grille so I would imagine the same thing with the next XKR.
    I would hope so. When you really look at the old and the new its the same grille design, but the placement is different on the new car giving it that Taurus look.

M
    I think the complaints about the XK grille are a little backward. It's the Taurus that stole the look from the original E-type, not the XK that got it from the Taurus.

I'll reserve judgement til I've seen the car.

This discussion has been closed.