Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Values for the money. various catagories.

2»

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    nope, I have yet to test-drive the new 2006 Kia Rio, in either a slushbox or a manual tranny. Kind of hard to believe, isn't it?

I have done the walk-around the rig thing at the dealer and peered at the sticker on the window, inside the rigs, etc. Someone bought the blue 2006 Kia Rio LX sedan, BTW, at my local Kia dealer.

It's gone. :cry:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that's because you didn't pounce soon enough! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    'cause I'm forbidden to pounce at this time! :cry:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    Ahhh... there is a new casual dining chain from up that way.. that just opened here.. the name escapes me now..

But, deep fried cheese curds is one of their specialties..

However, I can get all the beer and brats I want, right here in Zinzinnati.. ;)

Beerbratistan... nice..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    However, I can get all the beer and brats I want, right here in Zinzinnati..

Yes but what is generally served in Cincinnati as a bratwurst (a veal-pork sausage that is weisswurst) would not be considered a bratwurst in most other Midwestern cities.

As for the restaurant, it is Culver's. And you can do a LOT better than Culvers IMHO.

Beerbratistan... nice..

I assumed that he was referring to Milwaukee.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Gee, I stumble across this discussion and though I've lived in Wisconsin all my life I didn't know I lived in Beerbratistan! Southeast Beerbratistan to be specific, maybe I should change it to Millerwaukee?

And sure you can do better than Culvers, but it has better burgers than the national fast food chains, a much more expansive menu, frozen custard to die for (try it you'll like it) and you don't have to stand at the counter to wait for your food, they deliver it to your table, all for only a slight premium in cost over the golden arches.

There, in keeping with this discussion, I have managed to post nothing about cars, as appears to be the general theme lately.
  • pleiadespleiades Member Posts: 38
    It's time to replace my beloved 1986 Honda civic wagon....sadly honda doesn't make anything like it anymore. It was perfect for my needs...
    So...what car comes close? Doesn't have to be a Honda I suppose...but I loved the configuration (wonderful cargo area, high roof) and handling of that car (and still climbs our local hills at top speed), at a great low price....P
  • dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    Have you tried Mazda5? This is the best kept secret in auto industry. This is not a mini van, but IMO it better then any wagons. Check it out. We just got one and we never even considered it!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    what about the Honda Fit?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

the new Fit will be almost the identical size. Peppy, with good handling too!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Maybe I'm an extremist, but... "value" and "new car"?

A 15yr old manual Civic is value, imo. Good, fun, and ergonomic transportation for 4-5, for just a few thousand to buy and run.

Anything else you could ask for is stuff you want but don't need. Then you're not value shopping anymore; you're spending money that you're willing - not obligated - to spend for other things you want.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    did you ever think about looking at the Scion xB, Honda Fit, or Mazda5 (as others have said). The Scion and Honda both get 32+mpg and the 5 is around the 20-22 range (because of weight). I have heard about the scions topping 40+mpg and these are not even hybrids.

Odie
    I agree with the PRINCIPLE of what you are saying, but 15 years old might be pushing it. Buying someone else's 15 year old car is almost a guarantee of poor reliability and continual repair expenses, which may end up not costing a whole lot less than a new car after two or three years.

Now if you were to say 5 year old, I would say bingo! Best thing is to look for 5 year old models that happened to come out better than average statistically among brands that depreciate hugely.

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    "Buying someone else's 15 year old car is almost a guarantee of poor reliability and continual repair expenses, which may end up not costing a whole lot less than a new car after two or three years."

Thinking back, I should've said 10 instead of 15. 10 is more like it. My family's usually bought cars between 10-15yrs old; people we know get rid of them, so we get them for a good price, under $2k. My mom and I have kept track of the costs, and none of them has cost us half as much as an equivalent 5-yr old car would've cost. Granted, it kinda sucks...

Now that I'm working I got my mom a 2000 CR-V for $8k, and while it sure feels good to have, her 1985 Subaru wagon held just as much stuff and its A/C still worked. The '92 Corolla's interior isn't put to shame by the CR-V (I can see how so many fell in love with the Corolla back then). Everything the CR-V has over the older cars is stuff that's worth it if you have the money, but unnecessary when you don't. On the other hand, Cubans get 50 year old cars to work, so if I'm going to go with the "basic transportation" principle I should look to their example!

For anyone who can reasonably afford it, I agree with you and I almost always recommend 3-5 year old cars to my friends.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I disagree with you, but yeah you are generally right. It depends on what ya want ? Seriously, you can go out right now and buy a first generation Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 Northstar dirt cheap and it will run forever. A First Generation Olds a 95-99 Aurora is a rock solid car that is very economical, safe, and has guts. I'm going to try to buy one here within the next month or so. Wish me luck, eh? ;)

Rocky

P.S. I missed out on a tan 95' with 11K in Florida for $3995 that some old folks had and their spouse died and the other one couldn't drive. :cry:

Boy whoever got that car got a helluva deal, eh ?

Rocky
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    a 2001 Aurora and you are right,you can get good deal on them now that Old's went bye-bye. You get all of the goodies of a Cadillac CTS at a fraction of the price.

I had the 3.5l shortstar and averaged 21 mpg. You can also go to any GM brand for service.

The car was just too big to get in my garage now that the kids bikes have taken over my half.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Well I'm gonna do some hard lookin' ;)

Rocky
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I saw a really nice looking (though bland, I know) '97 Buick Century (first of the 'newer' body style), in the requisite tan/tan, with 110k and a BIN a bit under $2500 on eBay yesterday and really considered it; alas, it's gone now. Not half the quandry was that it's in Florida and I'm in Chicago, though nothing a ~$99 plane ticket couldn't fix. Part of me needs a grocery-getter sometimes (I don't own a car, don't really need one, but it'd be nice sometimes), but can't see spending ~$2500 on a '93-ish rusty Accord (I'm in Chicago, they all have rust) when I can probably get something in the way of a decent, more recent domestic with fairly similar gas mileage (at least highway, more comfort, fewer miles and likely lower repair costs for about the same money. It can't be anything too awful looking, though (can't do Skylarks, Achievas, off the top of my head), and stories of Taurus head gaskets, Intrepid transmissions, etc. scare me. I'd be really bummed if I ponied up even $2-3k for a car and were quickly faced with a $1000-1500 repair; kinda defeats the purpose. Oh, what to do? Speaking of cheap, oh yeah, I am. Gas here is pushing $3.25 and parking is $22 a day downtown, at this point, guess I should covet my CTA card.
    Do remember that Chicago has the "car rental" deal where you join and you can use a car a certain number of hours per month.

If I lived in the city (I am way out in the sticks and have been riding the Metra rail between Crystal Lake and Woodstock), I would take advantage of cheap weekend deals from the various rental agencies. Just make sure that you rent outside of the city (Park Ridge, for example) and you'll pay lower rates AND 6% sales tax on the rental.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...I don't remember the details exactly, but we are able, at certain Jewel stores and el stations, to 'rent' a car, by joining a club of some sort first, entering a password to a storage box of some sort which has a key, thereby allowing access to the car 24/7, which is really nice (and beats going downtown during 'normal business hours' or to O'Hare to rent). It is, of course, expensive compared to even traditional renting (they charge by the hour AND by the mile, IIRC); honestly, I can't imagine using it for anything other than local use for that reason, and that being the case, just cabbing is far more practical for me. I think if I had just moved to the city, knew absolutely nobody from whom I could borrow a car (and/or didn't have roommates with cars), I could see using it, but it doesn't make sense on any level, for me. I'd basically spend something like $60 plus gas to use a car for half a day. If I needed it more than 3x a month, I'd be better off just buying a beater, IMO. Parking, in my neighborhood, is essentially a non-issue, which is pretty unusual in Chicago.

I'll try to find a link and post it here; I just remember thinking it wasn't so great for my particular situation.
    I sent an e-mail to the people running the service ... They rent out Civic and Civic Hybrids AND they cover all of the insurances - both liability and property damage.

The company's name is I-GO Chicago. link title

Also, another company heading to Chicago is Zipcar. link title
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Obviously, you have not looked at an Azera. Larger interior than Avalon, BMW 750, etc. $5-6K thousand less similarly equipped. Better warranty, even more quiet. Lots of creature comforts, power, and luxury touches. I have an 07 Azera and traded a very nice (loved it) 2000 Avalon XLS as part of the deal. The Azera is every bit as well built in my opinion, as the Avalon. The only advantage I would give Avalon is MPG, by 1 to 1.5 MPG (I am getting 23 in town). By the way, the Azera uses regular. The new Avalon wants premium.

Yep, no navigation, XM (now coming), or HID headlights. But for the $5+K difference, I will suffer in luxurious silence.
This discussion has been closed.