Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• loremrnloremrn Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know if this continues to work. On another board people state this works for a while and then back to the hesitation. If it is a permanent fix I might try it. I have taken mine to the dealer and they have been able to feel the hesitation but not do anything about it.

Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Or some of vehicles you must put the front controls in "max heat" or "max cool" for some reasonably short period of time in order to "tell" the rear system which mode to be in.

Try putting the front system in max heat until your kids tell you that heat is coming out of the rear vents and then after that you can freely moderate the front heating level.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    so the vents at the bottom will supply the heated air and not the top ones. design intent.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    my thoughts also...
  • ts15ms7ts15ms7 Member Posts: 4
    THANK YOU THANK YOU - I knew that there were other vans with this problem - the dealership told me that they had checked with Toyota and that no one ever had a problem like mine. Now I know where to go from here. Thank you again.
  • 12051205 Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 Sienna tire problems are a mirror image of yours. Uneven tire wear on all four Michelin tires. I rotated the tires as required and had front end alignments. I went to three tire stores last weekend and all three instructed me to replace the tires now. With 25,500 miles on my Sienna I was left no choice but to replace. Shame on Toyota and Michelin for making me spend $500 for new "GOOD" tires on my one year old van that I paid $37,000 plus dollars for.
  • jillwjillw Member Posts: 2
    Follow up on my tire problems - I took the van to the dealer ready to let them have it and blaming a possible problem with the car for the tire wear. The service department was very nice. They said the Siennas are equipped with 25,000 mile tires (give or take 5,000 miles). I couldn't believe it. I started with the "I spent $30,000 on this car and got ----- tires". They were very accommodating and replaced my remaining 3 tires with the same tire as my already replaced tire (goodyear)and only charged me $48 (tire stems or something like that). Basically I got 3 new 75,000 mile tires for $48, installed and everything. They even had to go out and get the tires because they don't carry them at this dealership. It pays to complain. Good Luck
  • bexleybexley Member Posts: 10
    This is very interesting hesitation information autoguy1, but I think it makes sense.

I have noticed an occasional hesitation when I am deccelerating, and then quickly step on the throttle for more power, its like the engine is thinking about it for a split second, then engages.

I brought this to the attention of the service department at my local dealership, and the service manager was excellent and took about a half hour to explain everything to me.

He said that the engine is a throttle-by-wire setup, and that when you push the throttle for acceleration, the computer needs to make a decision on the way to give you the best acceleration, while still maintaining the best fuel economy and the best emissions out of the tailpipe. He also told me that this gets complicated because the computer is tied into the transmission which is adaptive, and learns a drivers style, and begins to match its shift points to a driver's way of driving for acceleration. So, when my wife drives for a couple of days, and then I get in and drive afterward, the transmission will begin to readjust itself to my driving styles, and that's when I notice the hesitation the most. He also said these driving styles are stored in the computer, and if he were to reset or flash the memory, it would erase that information, and have to relearn our driving styles over the next couple of days. I'm not sure why this is really done, but I guess it all boils down to Toyota and the government trying to get the best fuel economy and tailpipe emissions out of the vehicle.

Let me know if you notice it starting to relearn your driving style.
  • rharrisrharris Member Posts: 1
    I am adressing this forum just to let other frustrated owners of 2004 Sienna Vans know my outcome. 1st. I have had several problems with the transmission and shifting with my van.. for 38 thousand miles. I have been to the dealer several times.. and finally they installed the computer fix for it... didn't really do any good. 2nd. I have complained about the Auto battery saver feature mentioned on pages 154,155,156 of the owners manual. I have been told,by the NCDS(National Center for Dispute Settlement), Tough!!! not exactally in those words but the jest of it.. I have been told that Toyota designed the transmission this way and to live with it ...As far as the Battery Saver... they just re-printed the owners manual and that it is just the way the van was designed..And that they had no obligation to install this feature.. So basically,it seems to me the NCDS is in the back pocket of Toyota. Toyota has lost a customer for life... and if you do have a legitmate problem.. good luck with NCDS. their office is usually closed for illness... Good LUCK..
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    What is the problem with the Auto Battery Saver?
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    on the 04 sienna there is no battery saver. (if you lights are on it will drain the battery. I'm told it was corrected in the 05 model.
  • spencer30spencer30 Member Posts: 4
    I replaced the bridgestone turanza's at 29,000 miles. They were terrible tires. I just put on yokahama avid TRZ. I don't have run flats. I haven't heard anything good about the michelines that fit the van either.
  • toyota6toyota6 Member Posts: 8
    My Toyota Sienna rear bumper is damaged recently. I try to have body shop replaced the whole rear bumper. I am wondering weather the replacement could hurt the van structure. Thanks.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    if it's replaced with "original Toyota" equipment why would it hurt the van's structural integrety?

if so it would have to be the workmanship so i would recommend you go to a reputable body shop or directly to Toyota Service Department.
  • slugo12slugo12 Member Posts: 2
    I had exactly the same problem. I had to replace my tires at 22,000 miles and put on the best Good year tires I could buy and thought my problem was solved. Now I have 10,000 miles on my new tires and they are also wearing unevenly - same exact wear pattern as before where the outside edges wear. I'm now at 32,000 miles and my warranty is close to ending. I think there is a bigger problem than we know.
  • slugo12slugo12 Member Posts: 2
    I've had the exact same problem as everyone else. My tires were shot at 22K. I put on the best Good Year tires I could buy. Now they are showing wear at 10,000 miles - same exact wear pattern i.e. wearing out on the outsides. My warranty expires at 36K, and I'm at 32K so I need to get Toyotoa to step up and admit there is a bigger problem than bad tires. The reason I'm reading all this now is getting documentation together to make a case to Toyota.
  • jstoverjstover Member Posts: 2
    I have an early 2004 XLE Ltd that I purchased new. It now has about 9600 miles on it, and I have finally made an appointment with my dealer to look at the acceleration lag that seems to be inherent in all new 2004's.

Has any other 2004 owner in this forum actually had a Toyota dealer diagnose and prescribe a fix for the acceleration lag? If so, please describe your transaction.
  • dbondbon Member Posts: 1
    I had the exact same problem on Monday and the van is at the shop right now. They told me exactly the same thing about the TSB. Very scary experience, especially when I have the whole family in the car. They should recall the problem rather than handling it thru a TSB, since it may cause a very serious accident to anyone. I hope they will fix the problem. But I am very tired of so many problems with this van.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I bought a XLE 05 Sienna a few months ago and turned it back in 24 hrs later. I know this sounds crazy but after owning it for a few hrs my legs and back were tingling and hurting like crazy. I did not notice that on 15 minute test drive, but I do have lower back problems which I have had for years and I think the problem stemmed from the seat cushion not being long enough and supporting thighs. Anyway I loved the Sienna in every other way (my husband got a toyota truck with Sienna trade, luckily we did not lose anything. But now I have heard about these Recaro seats that you can put in cars and I am really wondering what people know about these and if they are really good. I am still driving this big SUV with gas prices here in Ca at 2.33 a gallon. I wish I had heard about this before now I am going to regret getting rid of that Sienna but I would do it all over if I know these seats would work. Please advice if anyone know about them.Thank YOu in advance
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    How did you not lose anything? You paid taxes on the Sienna when you bought it? Did dealer give you full credit on your purchase price(minus tax,fees) when you traded for truck? Don't you pay taxes on the vehicle you traded for? I always hear the vehicle loses it's value 10% the second you drive it off the lot. Good luck anyhow on getting your seat situation taken care of.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • golfinedgolfined Member Posts: 1
    tevans--I have a 2005 that is doing the same thing. It actually is harder to steer right than left. I suspect it is the rack or the power steering unit but we will find out I hope. I had it test driven by an industry expert and he certainly noticed it. The local dealer tells me 'the vehicle is operating as designed' which is a royal insult. What state are you in?
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Has a four wheel alignment been done? Also tire totation may make a difference. (If so, it indicates a tire problem)
  • jim33jim33 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 XLE with a Smart Card. Put it up at the top of the windshield behind the mirror. No problem. If you can take the EZPASS off your old vehicle, take a test drive through a gate holding the pass up at the top of the windshield.
  • albany_shopperalbany_shopper Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2004 Sienna LE FWD with 15000 miles on it. I went in for the power steering hose recall yesterday. At that time, I was informed of the remaining things on the list - don't remember any mails from Toyota on the other "campaigns" as the dealership put it..

Also, I hear a constant clicking-type noise from behind the glove compartment on some days. Last Saturday, it was really loud and the sales guy at the front desk indicated that it could be one of the bearings in the heating motor fan. Turning the air vents on the front heaters to high seemed to either muffle the noise completely out or eliminate. When I brought the van in for service, the technician could not replicate it and promised to replace the heater motor unit if it happens again. I am wondering if anyone has observed anything similar.
    Originally the dealer said we were going to have to pay around another 5,000 for taxes, license and the such well somehow we didn't have to. We kept telling them we should not have to pay again, we brought the van back the next morning. All I know is that we did not pay any more money out and our payments are less on the monthly lease for the truck and for the same amount of time. I have to say I really liked the Sienna except for the seats, I am still driving this big SUV at 2.25 a gallon for gas. I drive alot with kids etc and a tank of gas is 50.00 for this yukon,and I go through 2 a week. Anyway thinking of looking into Recaro seats, wondering if anyone has heard how good these are etc. Someone told me they are very goodn, however narrow and for lightweight people (110 lbs), I am not heavy but not that light weight.
  • lghong67lghong67 Member Posts: 29
    I believe that Recaro seats aren't an option if you also have side airbags because the system depends on sensors built in to the seats. Can anyone verify or deny this?

You probably covered this in an earlier post, but have you considered the Odyssey or Caravan / Town & Country? LH
  • champy12000champy12000 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 8 passenger 2005 Sienna. This is my fifth new Toyota in 5 years, and I am very disapointed. The biggest problem is the second row seats. The outboard left and right seats are very hard to get out. I could't do it. I took it to the dealer and the salesman couldn't do it, and finally the service manager did it with difficulty. The center saet is worse. The van comes with a video on adjusting the center seat (tell me thats not a bad sign). I showed it to four different men who each independently tried to remove the seat and nobody could do it. I would like to return the car, but can not. As a mechanical engineer, I designed a rope mechanism to prevent the seats from locking down on the front latches. This is crazy. Any body else have these problems with the EIGHT (8) seater? Also the center seat in the forward position hits the tray table. I can't believe it.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I'm curious as to whether you checked these issues before you bought the vehicle.
  • tregruban5tregruban5 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone ever have a problem with the front overhead maplights staying on and refusing to turn off? Or even stranger, clicking the right light would turn off the left? I had to remove the light bulb to save my battery until I can have the dealer check it out. Any one else have this problem?
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    I have to say these were the most comfortable seats to us the dodge with stow and go was horrible what uncomfortable seats they were. I don't have an 8 seater but I had a chevy 8 seater which made me stay away from that again in theory it is a good idea but I like to keep the kids apart now and it is easier to get to the back with the 7 seat version.
  • champy12000champy12000 Member Posts: 2
    No I didn't try to remove the second row seats before buying it. I tumbled them forward to get to the back seat, and that was easy. Don't get me wrong, the seats are comfortable. The problem is if you want to take them in and out often, it is very difficult.
    I observed another problem with the second row seats. The outboard vinyl or plastic seal at the joint on the right seat was ripped. I then looked at the left outboard seal, and it was frayed, and ready to rip. The comes from a bad fit as the seat is tumbled forward.
    I am going to guess, that this being the first year with 8 seat configuration, that Toyota rushed it out, without adequate testing and repair. The center row seats represent a defective design.
  • siennamobilesiennamobile Member Posts: 2
    After noticing an acceleration lag problem on my car I read on this website that others were having the same problem. I took my 2004 Sienna in to the dealer and asked them to fix the lag. They did under the warranty. However, to date I've not received any recall/notice about the problem from Toyota. I have received a few recalls on other parts though!
  • lillelille Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Sienna that I bought in December 2004. The hesitation was so bad I took it back in and they replaced the transmission after only owning the car 2 mos!! After the new transmission there is still a lag and I am still to this day fighting with Toyota to fix this problem. They told me this is "normal". I had several family members drive the van and they too said it feels like the transmission is slipping. I may have to go through arbitration. At this point I am looking into the Odyssey. I already know I will lose money from getting rid of the Sienna in such a short period of time owning it (3 1/2 mos) but I just can't see driving this van for 5 years while we pay it off. The Odyssey is much nicer and drives "normally". It actually accelerates when I press the gas pedal!! Gee, imagine that! Now that is how a car should drive. None of this hesitation stuff. They told me Toyota did that on purpose - yea, right. They just don't want to admit there may be a problem. I will NEVER buy Toyota again!
    Read my recent response to soemone elses problems with the lag problem - #1372. This is NOT normal to drive this way!
    DId you read my response (#1372) ? What did they actually do to "fix" this lag problem? The dealer says that this is normal - whatever. Let me know!
    Thanks -
    Lille
  • navyguy1990navyguy1990 Member Posts: 71
    I currently have a 2004 Sienna LE and have logged 38,000 miles on it. When I drove it recently (my wife's car, so I don't drive it often), I've noticed that there's a rattling sound when I push on the accelerator. This noise is similar to an engine knock sound, but it's slightly higher pitch and goes away once the engine is fully warmed up. I've also noticed light coating of black soot on the top of the engine. I've always used super octane gasoline, so I don't think it's engine knock.
    Can somebody shed some light on this issue?
    Thanks.
    I am the one that has posted about front seats that are way too short and don't have thigh support. I have long legs, average height 5'8" but my back bugged me without support. Anyway I am still on a hunt to get rid of my yukon and would like to go back to a van possibly. I had a Odyessy and am not crazy about the new one, however might have to go there again. I REALLY liked the Sienna except for too short of seats and from what I looked I could not find any kind of cushion that helped that but I really wish I could. Does anyone have advice?
  • bluesiebluesie Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Sienna Limited and the laser cruise control is broke because of "road hazard" is anyone else having this problem?
  • joyannkjoyannk Member Posts: 3
    WE are considering buying an XLE and have been concerned about the posts re: hesitation and transmission problems. So far we have taken 2 test drives. My husband noted hesitation on the first but not the second drive (different cars). I did not notice either time. Is this a big enough/common enough problem to give up on Sienna and go to Odyssey instead. We like both cars, but feel the interior on the Sienna is a little more to our liking. However we like the Odyssey too.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    It's 20 minutes after 12:00 midnight, Monday, March 28. (Really, it's Monday morning here!!)
    I'm sitting in a condo about 150km North of Sydney, Australia, getting ready for bed.
    Thought I'd try my Son's PC and see what's going on at my favourite cartalk site back in North America.
    Guess what, logging on with my username and password worked!! Wonders never cease!!

Joyannk, here's what I think is the most honest answer you'll ever get for your question.

The hesitation issue you ask about is a big deal to a few people, and not even on radar for most others.
    You will see posts that portray gloom and doom, saying the hesitation issue is widespread, serious, a safety hazard, and other scary stuff.
    You will see speculation about what might be the reason for it, and how it should be fixed.
    You will see talk of Lawsuit, Arbitration, Lemon Law, etc. from some.
    You will see stories of near misses on xways, extreme hesitation intervals, and other such dire experiences.
    You will see testimonials on how buyers shouldn't consider Toyota, or get rid of the ones they own.

What you won't see are testimonials by the vast silent majority who like their vehicles, are quite satisfied with them, and have never experienced any of this hesitation.

You know why this is, I'm sure.

So my answer, yes, some folks say there's a problem, and others don't, because they don't have one.
    In fact, the truth lies somewhere in between.
    I submit it is indeed, very much closer to the latter scenario.

I submit to you that the issue is getting play here because that's the nature of the players here.
    IMO, it isn't a big deal, it isn't widespread, it isn't a serious problem, and it sure as heck isn't a safety hazard!!

Having said all that,be your own Judge Joyannk.

Now I think it's time for my ration of Single Malt! (The Macallan-18YO if you're interested)

G'nite All.
  • azyoazyo Member Posts: 3
    Momstruck1, I've 04 Siena with faint clicking noise on the driver side. It started the day after I drove it home from the dealer. That was last August. The noise has disappeared a few months ago. It just stopped by itself.

As for recalls, I called Toyota (not the dealer) & the rep confirmed my VIN to have all the fixes that Toyota produced.

So far, I'm very happy with the Siena. May be I'm one of the lucky few with no issues. I love my minivan more and more the more I drive it. It purs so softly. I hope you'll resolve all your issues. I believe Toyota will correct all the earlier faults. Hang in there!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Pilot is quite undoubtedly correct.

First, even if the vast silent majority were ALL experiencing the engine hesiation symptom you wouldn't be hearing about it from them here at Edmunds.

But even discounting that factor Pilot remains correct, still.

It does appear, truly, that very few are experiencing the engine hesitation symptom.

But the question remains....

Is it a problem throughout the entire product series or is it such a rare series of events that leads to the engine hesitation that results in just a few having the experience?

"Entire product series.."

It appears that the symptom pertains to all Toyota and Lexus FWD vehicles that use the V6 engine and electronically controlled transaxles.

None of the above is conclusive by any means, check the various posts on these vehicles to determine for yourself what the common denominators seem to be.

Also please keep in mind that whatever the salesperson says otherwise Toyota has already acknowledged that the engine hesitation problem is REAL and they expect a fix will be forthcoming.

Now, the safety/hazard issue....

Assuming that those posting the complaints of a 1 to 2 second delay are correct I would think ANYONE should agree that in certain circumstances this could be EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS and/or UNSAFE!

Pilot...

My wife perfers the Dalwhinnie SM and I guess I tend to agree except it's a tad pricier. McCallan is a really good scotch if you like my favorite scotch based drink, a Rob-Roy.

The first time I was in Australia 15 years ago I tried my cell phone and got a good connection but was told that if I wanted to subscribe I needed to find a landline to call and sign up.

Logic straight from the UK!
  • nljjs36nljjs36 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XLE AWD and I"m averageing about 12.4 MPG.
  • damddamd Member Posts: 2
    I've read a lot about radiator leak issues and its concerning me although my radiator seem to be fine for now. Does anyone has a copy of TSB? I really would like to read the detail explanation. Thanks.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    My son has a XLE Limited, '04 and the best MPG he has gotten is 20.5 by being very careful in his driving. He is taking it in to the dealer for maintenance and hopes they can help him improve on that. I'll be interested to see what you find out. Whenever I see an '04 or '05 in a gas station I ask about their MPG and it usually in the mid 20's.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    G'Day. It's just after lunch down here.

The Alpha-Poster-Knower-Of-All-Things makes a profound point--"Assuming that those posting the complaints of a 1 to 2 second delay are correct......"

So, are we perhaps suggesting these posts about scary situations might be anonymous and uncorroborated embellishments from cyberspace?

Could it be......?

To which I repeat my original advice to those who inquire about the hesitation issue----"I submit to you that the issue is getting play here because that's the nature of the players here."

One more comment for the A.P.K.O.A.T.
    Some offered wisdom about good Whisky(and good wine, good food,etc.)worthy of consideration:
    "If it tastes good, don't ask why."

D'accord?
    I've 04 Siena 8-seater. Comfy seats. Easy to remove. I'm not a mechanical engineer, I didn't try to analyze the mechanism, just took them out. Put them back in no issue. I wastched the video out of curiousity, I thought it would be much more difficult. After the video, the procedure turned out pretty easy. Could've figured it out without the video. Seats are kind of heavy, but sort of expected that. Very happy with the Siena. I love the fact the 3rd row headrest drops into the seat without having to "unplug" them like on the Odyssey before dropping the 3rd row into the floor. Just wished 2nd row seat had arm rests. Perhaps in the next model...
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    For my part, I'm at least glad that there is a perceived "hesitation issue" (also known as dissatisfaction with Toyota's throttle-by- wire). Otherwise, I wouldn't have the opportunity to enjoy your posts in response (over a Balvenie).
    Yoyannk, this is why I bought the Sienna. Looks nicer on the outside to me (front and back.) Very quiet drive. Nice 2nd row seat windows that can roll down. Third row seat head rests sinks into the seats without having to "unplug" them and have sharp pointy objects in the rear ready to fly out (far fetched, but possible.) Powerful enough engine. Cool shifter location and I love the zig-zag shift into drive. Cool blue illuminations at night. JBL sound system. The rest are "comparable" to me. Oh yeah, it's a TOYOTA! Good luck, you can't lose with either Odyssey or Sienna. Honda has cult follower, but I think the new Sienna will change the new minivan followers, if they really compare without listening to "noise" from disatisfied owners. Read the complaints, but use some judgment. Good luck.
  • joyannkjoyannk Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the reply. I suspect you are right about the situation. I will plan at least one more test drive of each car.
    Last visited your country in 2001;BEAUTIFUL!
    Hope to get back someday.
    Thanks,
    joyannk
This discussion has been closed.