Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    2006 AWD HiHy
    13,700 miles

95% highway

Now consistently getting more than 30 MPG for the last 2 months.

I noticed that in some city trips I can get as high as 40+ MPG.

I am very happy, it is much better than the mileage of my previous 2000 and 2005 Hyundai Elantra's.

Mark
  • andyamp1andyamp1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a new 2007 hybrid 6 cyl 2WD which has close to 5000 mi and it is very annoying to have the car shake/jolt when the gas engine engages or disengages!! If i come to a full stop in traffic the car shakes when the engine goes off...as if the car behind you bumped into you!! And as bad... when I take off slow... it jolts again as the gas engine kicks in?? In taking off it feels as a transmission jumping into gear would. Now I believe this has to be the gas engine, but not really sure?

Is this something that is normal for toyota hybrids?? I do not remember the test ride SUV riding like that or I would not have bought one. ....
    thanks for any help or thoughts, especially if others have seen this.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • sloufslouf Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 AWD hybrid. My MPG has been slowly improving over the last 5 months of ownership. A couple of weeks ago it was up to 29.4 mpg. I do mostly city driving to and from work. Last week the mpg suddenly started dropping and today it is reading 26.3 mpg. This is the first time this has ever happened. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this? I haven't done anything differently with my driving.
    Thank-you.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Last week the mpg suddenly started dropping and today it is reading 26.3 mpg. This is the first time this has ever happened. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this?"

Was it suddenly colder last week?
  • mesadogmesadog Member Posts: 2
    Lots of us here in Canada are buying used cars in the U.S. with the stronger $C and cheaper prices (about 25-30% discount, more on higher end cars). I bought a 2006 HH Ltd. (40,000 miles on it) in Baton Rouge and drove it to Calgary, Alberta in 3.5 days, about 2,600 miles. Interstates all the way, serious headwinds from the west and north for about 30-40% of the time, average speed probably 60-65 mph, lots of 75 mph. Back home, added up the gallons and divided by miles and got 23 mpg. A little disappointed, but no real frame of reference.

Question - how do you know exactly how many gallons you've used ? I would like to run the tank down to know for sure but then I'd risk running out of gas. Is there an indicator of how much gas I've used or what's left somewhere that I'm missing ?
    "Question - how do you know exactly how many gallons you've used ? I would like to run the tank down to know for sure but then I'd risk running out of gas. Is there an indicator of how much gas I've used or what's left somewhere that I'm missing ?"

You simply fill the tank all the way up to the pump shutoff, then run the tank until it gets to "E". At that point, return to the SAME pump and fill up the tank.

BTW, if you had "serious"headwinds and you were doing 75 MPH, you might have had an actual speed of 90 MPH affecting the cross section of the HH. That will cut down on MPG with such a high profile vehicle.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    I know the '08s are just now hitting the showroom and the dealers are basically not discounting the price, but for anyone out there, what have you been getting for gas mileage both highway and city in the new design? The sticker says it's rated at 27 city and 25 hwy. Has anyone been close to this rating? I will be doing mostly highway driving and am trying to validate whether a hybrid would be worthwhile since the regular gas model is rated at 23 on the hwy. My guess one would be do better with the Hybrid with combined city/hwy driving.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks.
  • banditobbanditob Member Posts: 16
    I haven't yet gotten through a full tank on my HiHy, but here's were I'm at currently.

My daily commute is about 2/3's two lane highways (40-55 mph), with some stop and go, and 1/3 freeway driving. The round trip is about 26 miles total. I'm almost through the first tank and the average has been steadily rising since I got it and is now at 25.0 mpg. That includes the dealer introduction to the vehicle in which the system was left on for about an hour with the engine cycling on and off as it saw fit and a few mornings starting up from below freezing with the vehicle left outside for the night.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with it, including the mileage, which should continue to go up as the engine breaks in over the next few thousand miles.

Good luck with your decision.
  • wallacewwallacew Member Posts: 2
    Are you reading the mileage your getting on the monitor inside the vehicle? You can't believe that thing, it's not accurate. The only way to take your true mileage is to write down your odometer reading after filling your vehicle until the gasoline stays in the top of the fill neck. Take your mileage next time after you fill it to the where the gasoline stays in top of the fill neck. Subtract the previous reading from the last and divide by the gallons of gas you last filled up with.
    Note: If you just let the gas pump cut off automatically, you want get an accurate reading because depending on the angle the vehicle is sitting it may cut off and you can still put anywhere from 2 to 5 gals more in the tank to fill it to the top.
  • drlonline1drlonline1 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 2008 HH Limited for 2 weeks, and just had my first fill-up. Averaged just under 27 MPG on the first tank, with a roughly 50-50 combination of highway and city mileage. Very pleased so far.
  • banditobbanditob Member Posts: 16
    I was a bit surprised to find that the 2008 HiHy fuel system is unique from every other vehicle I've owned. Now I'm curious as to what it's really doing.

When you press the Fuel Filler Door Release button, the Owner's Manual says that it may take up to 10 seconds to release the door and that the Multi-Function Display alerts you to when the vehicle is ready to be refueled. It also mentions that it is releasing pressure from the system and another section in the manual, about unusual noises from the vehicle, mentions that you may hear a hissing sound about 5 hours (I think this is the correct figure) after shutting off the vehicle. It says this is a leak test for the system. I know that this must be part of the SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle- Zero evaporation) compliance system, but I'd like to know more about what it's actually doing and how it works.

Does anyone else know more about the fuel system in the 2008 HiHy and what it's acutally up to?

Does the previous model HiHy also work this way?

Does it normally operate under pressure?

Inquiring minds want to know!
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    I took my first longer trip with my 2008 HH today. The first tank of gas averaged 24.8 mpg (hand calculated, not from the display), this was within about .5 (that is "point 5) mpg of the computer display.

After the first fill, with a warm engine on a easy highway, the computer display shows 29.2 mpg for the remainder of the trip (an additional 83 miles).

I was driving in the Econ mode.

I expect that this will improve with further break-in of the engine components.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    If you're doing MOSTLY highway driving you will have a tough time justifying the Hybrid over the regular Highlander ... expect about 2 mpg better on the highway with the Hybrid. Now, that is if you're ONLY talking money ... obviously burning less gas is better, period, but it will cost you.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    We’ve had an ’06 Hh [34K] since July ’05, regularly [from first tankfulls] get 26 mpg combined, mostly highway driving. Drove at varying speeds for the 1st 1K but didn't pamper it at all. Best was 30 on a 70 mile loop. Gets 22-23 with a Thule box at interstate speeds too. The diff between the computer and manual calculation isn’t that much. Overfilling is seriously bad for the Hh fuel system.
  • hondaboy945hondaboy945 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking at the 2008 HH and this is partly due to the fact that she will not drive a Prius. But, to get to my point, there is a company that is developing a battery pack for the Prius and soon for the HH. The company is HiMotion. I think that for short, around town trips, your HH could get awesome gas mileage. I look forward to getting the HH after we get back from vacation. I also look forward to getting more information on the battery pack so my wife can go longer between trips to the gas station.
  • fishferbrainsfishferbrains Member Posts: 3
    We've the happy owners of a 2008 HH Limited with about 600miles so far.
    We're in a fairly hilly portion of Oregon doing mostly errands, but I'm only averaging around 21mpg.

Anyone else have experiences with the 2008 they can share?
  • febrile1973febrile1973 Member Posts: 1
    I have nearly the same miles on the odometer. My mpg (onboard) is usually in the 27's per HH trip computer. I let it do my calculations. That has been mostly city driving, stop-and-go while hopefully allowing it to warm up to work the best. I drive like I'm seeking the high scores, so I rarely open-it-up. I can't afford to hot rod and I am still waiting to break it in before really firing it up.
  • steamansteaman Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am from Edmonton and I bought HHL-06,19K miles with NAV from USA. I am trying to convert convert digital odometer reading from Miles to Kilometre and to degC.
    Do you have any idea? I contacted local Toyota dealer and they cannot figure out this change to Metric without changing odemeter cluster.

Any help is appreciated.

regards,
    Steaman
  • mesadogmesadog Member Posts: 2
    Hi Steaman. No I have not yet figured out the odometer conversion. I have finally gotten through all the registration paperwork and have not yet asked any of the local dealers about conversion of the digital readouts to metric. I will be doing so in the New Year and will try and remember to post the results.

The vehicle passed both federal and provincial inspections easily, no repairs or mods at all.

How are you finding the vehicle ? Over all I am very happy, but the magnitude of the decline in fuel efficiency in colder weather has surprised me. With my mix of driving I was getting about 25 mpg when the cold hit and now I am about 20% lower.
  • muce1998muce1998 Member Posts: 2
    mesadog - I've noticed a significant drop-off in winter also. I have an '07 HH, AWD in Milwaukee. Doing mostly highway driving, I was averaging 29mpg in summer and have dropped to an average of 25 in winter, with lows of 23 (my calc). My wife has noticed a similar drop in the Prius, though she doesn't keep as close track as I do.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I have a 2007 HH Limited FWD and have also noted lower MPG due to the cooler temps. I was averaging 28/29mpg in the Spring/Summer but have dropped to 25-26 here in the mid-Atlantic region (VA). I believe this is due to the ICE running more frequently to keep the engine temp up. My previous vehicle (non-hybrid) would also incurr a drop in overall MPG when the temps dropped in Fall & Winter. Still, my MPG is far better than a similar sized vehicle and I am quite pleased overall.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
  • adambaadamba Member Posts: 2
    On my third tank of gas, 800 miles in. Mileage was roughly 21 mpg the first tank, 20.5 the second, 20.2 on this one. On the highway it gets up to about 24-25 mpg but in the city it's between 20 and 21, and most of my driving is in the city. This seems much lower than almost everybody else is reporting?!?

It's a Limited, if that matters. Cold tire pressure is 34 psi. I'm driving in Econ mode and trying to accelerate smoothly and slowly. The terrain has a few hills, but nothing dramatic, and I go down the same hills going the other way.

I live in the Seattle area--I saw somebody in Oregon also reporting low mileage. Maybe something about the Pacific Northwest? Do people think this is something where I should bring it to the dealer and ask them to investigate?

Thanks.

- adam
  • highlanddoghighlanddog Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Highlander Hybrid in December and have been getting progressively worse mileage. We have gone from 26.8 to now 20.2 (on our 5th tank). The dealer says it is related to cold weather. I would have not bought the vehicle if I knew that was the case. Could it be something with computer, battery. etc...? What is the best source on the web for Highlander Hybrid information?

Thanks in advance, all comments appreciated.

Steve
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Check your tire pressures. Since all you gas is the winter blend, I do not see that as a problem.
  • adambaadamba Member Posts: 2
    My pressure is 33 or 34 in all tires when cold.

One thing is, the car is parked outside both at night and during the day. The temperature has been in the low 30s at night, high 30s or low 40s during the day. And I'm only driving about 20 minutes each way to work, so maybe the car never has a chance to warm up.

Thanks.

- adam
  • akdeedeeakdeedee Member Posts: 1
    I reside in Alaska, and purchased my vehicle new in Nov. 2007. My gas mileage has been abysmal. According to the dealership, all systems are functioning within normal perameters. However, something is not right. Here are stats that I have gleaned, based on mileage posted in the car's center panel, and my own MPG computations:

City Driving: 11-12 MPG, as compared to the EPA average estimate of 27 MPG, which is a 54% difference.

Highway Driving: Around 22.5, which is only 9% difference than the EPA average estimate of 25. I could live with that, but most of my driving is within a city!

Combined City and Highway Driving: Seems steady at 15.7, as compared to the EPA average estimate of 25: a 40% difference.

Is anyone else on this post driving a 2008 Highlander Hybrid in cold weather conditions? I wish I had read the owner's manual BEFORE buying this vehicle, because it states very clearly that the EV-Drive does not function in temperatures under 32 degrees (F). None of these details were shared with me at the time of purchase, and I am extremely frustrated.

Thanks for any information that you can share...
    AKDeeDee
  • jrakjrak Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Anchorage and get 27 MPG on my 2006 Highlander Hybrid in the warmer months and 17 MPG in the cold months, a 37% decrease in fuel efficiency.

The decrease in mileage in the cold months is supposedly due to numerous factors including winter oxygenated fuels, snow tires, heating up the car before driving, using the heater on high while while driving, decreased traction from slippery/snowy roads, or not topping off tire pressure in cold weather, and decreased performance of the hybrid battery in cold weather. All these factors would be expected to affect a non hybrid car equally except the effect of the temperature on the cold hybrid battery. Of course this is all anecdotal and not backed up by any real data, I don't think anyone has done a study on it, if Toyota has they're not talking.

So the question is how much of the decrease in mileage is due to impaired performance of the hybrid system in cold weather. I have friends with a non hybrid 2005 Highlander who claim they get around 17 MPG all year round but they don't have a cumulative gas mileage readout as in the hybrid so they are guessing. I was never aware of this magnitude of winter fuel economy loss before I had a hybrid but I didn't have a fuel mileage gauge before either.

I think this is an important piece of information for those of who live in the arctic and want to decrease our vehicle emissions all year round not just in the summer. Toyota's hybrid market is so small here it's probably not important enough for them to study.

Maybe we need an Alaska hybrid users group to explore the question of whether the additional expense of a hybrid makes sense in this climate given current hybrid technology.
  • highmnhighmn Member Posts: 1
    We live in Minnesota. We received our new 2008 Highlander Hybrid at the end of January during a cold snap (daily high temperatures below 10 degrees F). As the temperature has slowly increased during the last month and a half, we've watched our average mileage increase from just over 20 mpg to about 26 mpg. The Highlander definitely seems to get better mileage when the weather is above freezing. It spends much more time in EV mode when it is warm.
  • 2008highlander2008highlander Member Posts: 24
    Just picked up my 2008 HH and I have been averaging around 20 - 22mpg over the first 1000 miles.
  • toyohh08toyohh08 Member Posts: 3
    We bought our iced amethyst HH08 limited AWD last November 2007. Our average mpg? 24-27 mpg...my worst mpg was 22 :cry: and my best was 28mpg :) . Our current odometer reading is around 3700 plus miles :D . We lived in Bay Area...
  • muce1998muce1998 Member Posts: 2
    Following up on my previous post (346) - we're creeping out of winter now (hi's in the upper 40's) and the fuel economy is jumping back up - just got 27 mpg after a winter low of 22. I did some experimenting in the last couple months - heater use only accounted for a negligible increase in gas usage. The engine controller tries to keep the temp in the normal range, regardless of heater use or throttle demand. Next winter I'll experiment with using a cold front (block the grille) to see if I can keep the engine warmer... For now, looking forward to seeing how many 30+ tanks I can string together.

stats: 07 HH AWD, 20k mi, 30mi commute (mostly hwy, lite traffic). best tank: 32, worst: 22
  • columgcolumg Member Posts: 1
    I live in MInnesota. Noted poor mileage performance of hybrid in cold weather. Does the same thing happen to non hybrids? Would I be better off to forego the hybrid for best environmental impact year around?
    Joe.
  • marshalljaymarshalljay Member Posts: 9
    columg -

dunno bout you, but all of my vehicles get worse mileage in the winter - I live in Iowa, so have much the same weather as you. My Tundra pickup goes from 17-18 mpg summer to 12-14 mpg in the winter. I'm driving an 06 Highlander Hybrid - well broken in with 55k miles, and while it gets as low as 22 mpg in the winter, now that winter has finally broken, I'm getting astounding mileage.

I have been getting consistent 27-28 mpg tankfulls; but now that gas prices have become ridiculous, I have started driving slower on trips. That has paid a huge premium; just by slowing to 65 for my Interstate driving, I've noticed that the battery is operating a lot more; I'm also seeing concrete results at the pump - last fill got me 31 (!) mpg. Subsequent refill still came in at 28 - so probably a valid reading.

Slow down a touch, and these hybrids are great - the electric motor just doesn't have enough power to deal with the wind resistance at high speeds, and consequently, mileage suffers.
    All cars suffer from this problem.

I live in NE North Dakota. Much colder than Anchorage, AK (I lived there for 3.5 years), but warmer than Barrow, AK (3 years there).

My prior car was a 1998 Ford Contour w/2.5L V6. My gas milage dropped about 35% in the coldest part of the winter with the Contour. I saw a similar drop with my '08 HH. Installing a block heater helps a lot. But when it drops to -32 F, it takes time for the engine to warm up to efficient operating temperatures. BTW, I do not let my car sit and run to warm up, except for extreme cold weather (fogged/iced windows are dangerous), so I do not waste gas that way.
  • t_mooneyt_mooney Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 gets about 25 mpg overall. The limiting factor is that I commute 5 miles each way to work everyday and mileage for the first 6-8 minutes is poor because it's warming up and the gas engine stays on. I did a "Sunday drive" of about 100 miles once, keeping not higher than 50 mph and really working at top mileage and got 32 mpg according to the computer, which usually is not optimistic by much. I would call that an upper limit and maybe a little unrealistic to expect under any real conditions. But when you're on 50-55 mph speed limit roads and you obey the limits and drive carefully, 27-28 seems repeatably doable.
    I can't stand to drive my non-hybrid anymore.
  • sebemismnusasebemismnusa Member Posts: 23
    There are mileages numbers on a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid front wheel drive, as measured by a Scangauge II , calibrated as best I can (enter in actual gas used during fillups).
    Almost constant driving one person and luggage, from Minneapolis, MN to Oshkosh, WI
    30 MPG Summer
    27.5 MPG Add a second person and more luggage
    Going speed limit on major roads

Mixed driving (city/highway)
    23 to 25 MPG Driving in Minnesotan winters drops to, sometimes slightly higher
    25 to 30 MPG Driving in "warmer" months - (closer to 30 MPG if I can "drive for mileage)

Driving habits:
    I monitor the air pressure in the tires; the Scangauge II is in gauge mode most of the time (watch engine RPMs, throttle position, engine load, and timing).
    Highest even seen - 32 MPG in mixed city/highway

To get these numbers, I need to drive, watching ahead for stoplights, slowing down before. Unlike other cars, I gently "ride" the brake, which initially kicks in the re-generative braking. I tend to gradually accelerate, except for unusual traffic conditions. Kicking in the turbo mode of the HH dramatically reduces gas mileage, although useful when merging into heavy highway traffic.
    Out,
    Scott
  • rgauzennergauzenne Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2008 highlander hybrid for almost 4 weeks now. (No Nav system or moon roof but has 3rd row seats) First week I got 27mpg city and 26mpg highwy. Next week I got 25/city and 23/highway. Now I am only getting 21-22mpg in the city with warm weather and slow accelerations. Anyone else knows what is going on here? The Toyota mechanic doesn't
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Slow down a touch, and these hybrids are great - the electric motor just doesn't have enough power to deal with the wind resistance at high speeds,

This would be incorrect. The hybrid system on the HH only operates at speeds up to about 40-45 mph. After that it is all ICE.

The phenomenon you are describing here applies to ALL vehicles, we are just too impatient to actually GO SLOWER. EVERYONE would see a benefit from doing this.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    This would be incorrect. The hybrid system on the HH only operates at speeds up to about 40-45 mph. After that it is all ICE.

The above statement is also incorrect ;) . The ICE can kick in at any time, from 0-mph to blast-off and the batteries can kick in at any time from 0-mph to blast-off.

On flat ground, it is possible to go from 0 to 40 MPH on electric-only. If there is enough charge and the ground remains flat, I can maintain 40-MPH for a very long spell. A good stiff tail-wind helps.

On downhill runs, the battery can go even further depending on desired speed. On steeper downgrade, even on freeways, the battery can provide all the power to maintain 65-MPH or 70-MPH (on really steep grade) while the ICE just idles. We see this all the time driving I-5 in Northern CA. The car is cruising downhill at 65-MPH and the ICE is madly charging the battery or the battery kicks in to give some power to maintain downhill speed. By the end of a run, the battery is all green (full 8 bars).

On a climb, the ICE kicks in and the battery will also kick in to boost power. The battery provides instant torque in such cases and the car just rockets up a grade like it is a V8.

The ICE and battery pack work together through all speed ranges. There is NO "cut off" where the ICE takes over completely without the battery pack. At least I have never seen it on our '06 HH.

Just want to clarify.
    "This would be incorrect. The hybrid system on the HH only operates at speeds up to about 40-45 mph. After that it is all ICE. "

No, I'm afraid YOUR statement would be incorrect. I own the FEH, which is similar in drivetrain design to the HH. The electric motors can provide boost at all speeds; the only imitation is the state of charge in the battery.

The design requires that the engine operate above 40 MPH, but this actually means only that the engine has to spin, not that it has to consume fuel. I think that on a downgrade with a full battery of vehicle will use the drag of spinning the ICE to bleed off excess electricity from the generator. At least, this is my understanding.
    Now 23k on the odo. 33 miles to work 95% highway.
    Average 28-30 mpg per tank.
    Some of my short local drives can be as high as 50 mpg.
    I tried many techniques. Cruise control at 57 mph gives good mpg but slow travel overall. Or I drive like a roller coaster, accelerate on the downhill and let it slow down on its own at the incline. I get the same mpg but the second technique is faster and more fun. Most of the time, I combine them, using cruise control on downhill once the speed is about 75 mph.
    "The hybrid system on the HH only operates at speeds up to about 40-45 mph. After that it is all ICE."

Not true. If you watch the display, you will see the electric motors kick in for short periods at higher speeds. I have observed it doing this at up to 70 mph. I have noticed this if you go down a small hill, the ICE will shut down. At the bottom of the hill, the ICE starts up again. As you climb a gentle hill the traction motor(s) will assist the ICE.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Thanks to all who've replied to this and set the record straight. I stand corrected. I was under the impression it worked differently - thanks.
    I have done this many times on my 2006 HH since I drive on hilly terrain. When I am going downhill and set my cruise control, sometimes the synergy drive sorts out and decides to do it in all electric mode even at 75 mph.
    "I have done this many times on my 2006 HH since I drive on hilly terrain. When I am going downhill and set my cruise control, sometimes the synergy drive sorts out and decides to do it in all electric mode even at 75 mph."

Is the ICE still spinning? (check the RPM gauge)
    According to Toyota, the ICE comes on at and above 40-MPH so even if not in use, it will spin at idle. I believe Khdspyder confirmed this with Toyota last year.
    This past weekend I did a 180 mile round trip. Going out was east against strong (25-30 mph), direct head winds. I got about 24mpg. The return trip was with strong quartering tail winds (I was driving generally west, the winds were from the southeast). I got 33.6mpg. Overall, the round trip was 28 mpg. This is in a 2008 HH with only 2900 miles.
    Does the '08 model have good acceleration? I don't mean "racing" speed but good acceleration to freeway speed?

It looks like Toyota did listen to early adopters and really made the car efficient. I am envious of your 33+ MPG!
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    The '08s are slower than my '06 Hh but they can get better mileage.
    Mine beat a Jeep 5.7 Hemi in an 1/8th of a mile stoplight launched street drag.
    The traction batteries have to be fully charged and the preferred technique is a firm steady press on the pedal. There is torque steer.