Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Transmission Problems

Comments

• K9WillK9Will Member Posts: 26
    my problem is going to be torque converter causing trans to slip, the guy who said the f1 & f6 button for service codes is right on thanks so much you must a gm tech. And the cts does have a oil consumption problem at least the 3.6 does & it also has a tourque converter problem, i think that is what causes alot of the cts shutters at 52 mph they think it is a tire vibration, and gm seems take that stance also because they can get them out of warranty by delaying diagnosis, I was in tire and auto repair buisness 30 years and know own two 04 3.6 cts auto trans. and they are both having simular trans issues, and one consumes oil to fast, but i keep it checked, but the vibration seems like tires but it is not because have two cts just alike my wanted his mag wheels put the other car the vibration stayed with the car and did not follow the tires & wheels, so after driving the car long enough i pinpionted the problem to the converter, gm probaly has some type of additive to put in trans but hat would be admitting a problem, but if some nice gm tech reads this he could give us all the secrets to our problems that are only shared internally. WE ARE WAITING THANKS FOR READING
  • kvpkvp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 cts can any one tell me how to check the transmission fluid and where the dip stick is and how do you put the fluid in. Thank you Lost
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    what engine?
    you do not have a dip stick you have to jack car up level go under car at about drivers door and it has a plug in the side of transmission, un screw plug and if any trans fluid flows out it is full if not get a fluid pump and pump some in. Not one of GMs better designs, it would be better left to shop but you need to know how it is done because most shops will not know, and by the way why do you want to ck it is there a problem, tell me if you are having a problem, i don't look at this site that often so check it from time to time i will try to help HOPE this helps WILLIE
    also in response to the lost all oil but it smoked the transmission it sounds like your trans line going to radaitor poped out leaking all trans fluid out and then that is why your trans is ruined, CTS has history of this happening the trans line going into the radaitor pulls loose for no real reason i would ask the shop to show me the crack in resiovoir while i wait don,t give them any warning that you want to see it just make them produce right then and decide for your self HOPE this helps Willie
  • mneddmnedd Member Posts: 2
    you're absolutely right......trans fluid and coolant lines basically popped out of the rad on my 06 cts. i lost all power while driving but pulled over safely immediately.
  • chrish900chrish900 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 CTS 3.6 L with 90K miles. I noticed oil consumption. Within a month or two, I smelled antifreeze when I got to work but did not notice any on the ground. When I got home that night, I saw some "chocolate milshake" on the floor of the garage on the driver's side. I initially thought it was water and oil mixing, but the dipstick was clean. The following morning, I checked the radiator overflow and found the milkshake. My Ford dealer didn't want to touch this mess (I have been using this dealer for almost 20 years, obviously a Ford fan), so I took it to a Caddy dealer. He said the trans cooler in the radiator corroded allowing the two fluids to mix. We replaced the radiator and flushed both the cooling and transmission systems. About the same time all of this was happening, I noticed the infamous torque converter "chuggle" and also a higher frequency vibration that occur intermittedly. This could easily be misdiagnosed as an out of balanced tire or bad CV joint. There was a Caddy notice to reflash the ECM to minimize the "chuggle" but I didn't see any improvement. I'm rather disappointed because the car has great handling and is a comfortable car given the 25K miles/year I drive. I can't understand the rationale for integrating the radiator and trans cooler. They should know that something bad would happen eventually. Anyway, after 1500 miles, the car is running okay except for the occasional chuggle and vibe. I put 200+K miles on my vehicles before I buy another, however I may have to go back to Ford. I don't know if my CTS will make it.
  • chrish900chrish900 Member Posts: 2
    FYI - I just found this place on ebay for used transmissions. If mine goes because of the antifreeze, I may go this route; $350. There are other sites offereing used transmissions out there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-CADILLAC-CTS-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-20K-/37- 0416462118?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563e8aa926
    what happened is the trans cooler lines go into the bottom of the radiator and the cooler is glued or molded to the inside of the plastic piece at the bottom of the radaitor all fine and well until till it comes unglued if you know what i mean k9will
  • jleepricejleeprice Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 CTS AWD. Love the car...but the transmission just failed completely for the second time. First time was at 13000 miles. Second time just happened at 26000. There is absolutely no warning with this problem. The car makes a few clunking sounds and then will not move...only get a loud whirring noise in every gear. First repair took 6 weeks because I had to wait for a part from France. Now they tell me that GM has issued a "bulletin" that has a fix for the problem. Has anyone else heard about this???
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Jleeprice,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case number and if so, what is the case number? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • jleepricejleeprice Member Posts: 2
    Yes, claim number 71868414471
    Hello Jleeprice,
    Thank you for getting back to me. I just wanted to make sure that you were currently working with an agent. I did check the case notes and it looks like the agent will contact you tomorrow with an update. Thank you,
  • mymymymymymy Member Posts: 7
    Kimmy Jean you wrote: "GMC posted a bulletin that you can no longer replace/rebuild this tranny, you must purchase new. "

Where was this posted? I'm wonder if GM has other posting that I should be aware of. I purchased the 2006 CTS as a dream car, which is turning out to be a nightmare. So many problems, including the radiator and transmission (kind of like yours).

Hello Mymymy,
    What concerns do you have with your vehicle? How long have the concerns been present? Thank you,
    Mariah Lang CAC Social Media
    Ms. Lang,

The main concern: the transmission! Several months ago I ended up with a coolant system problem, which caused the radiator to blow and caused fluid to get into the transmission. Ended up getting a new radiator and the transmission was drained several times to get that "gunk" (brownish thick fluid) out. Now, the car isn't operating smoothly and the power isn't there as it was before all this happened.
    At times, the car will jerk/surge, too. Merging onto the the freeway is scary because the car doesn't excellerate properly (that quick takeoff is no longer there.)

A noise is coming from the steering column; took it to the repair shop -- problem couldn't be detected and no codes showed up. The noise is getting louder.

The car doesn't start at times; took it to the repair shop -- problem not detected and no codes showed up. Not the starter, battery or alternator.

This week the CD player stopped working while in operation.

Like I mentioned, the CTS is my dream car; I wanted one since 2003!
    Hello Mymymy,
    Do you currently have a case number? If so, what is the case number? If you don't have a case I would like an agent to look at your situation further. In order to do that I will need you to e-mail me you’re VIN, current mileage, contact information, dealership and best time to contact you. Thank you,
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Folks, please don't post your phone number in publicly-accessible forums. We try to remove such posts when we see them, but once you post your phone number, there's no way to ensure who will use it, or how they will use it, or when they will use it.

Mariah's email address is in her profile - you can get it by clicking on her highlighted user ID (in green). Making info available in your profile allows only other registered forums members to access it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ms. Lang,I'm checking to see if you received my reply to your 09.19.10 inquiry to me? (I ask because I do not see the reply to you in the CTS forum.) Please let me know. If you didn't receive it, I'll resend. Thank you.
  • rockvillebudrockvillebud Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    My 2005 CTS with less than 60,000 vibrates as it tries to go from 4th to 5th at around 40 miles per hour. If I accelerate quickly it does fine and it does fine at 65-70. But put a load on it uphill at about 40 and it can't decide what to do. This problem started about 5,00 miles ago. Anybody else having this problem and do you think Cadillac would do anything about it? Has there been a recall or anything for this problem? I presume there is no 100k warranty like some manufacturers.
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    Happened to my 2007 with a little over 30K miles on it. They will first attempt to flash the TCM with the new transmission software update. When that doesn't fix it, they will replace the torque converter.
    k9will here i have 04 cts w/auto trans 3.6, transmission hesitates when parked overnite, you drop in drive and it slips or hardley moves for a few moments, then it works flawlessly until you let it sit for a day
    rockvillebud,
    Will you please e-mail me with your username and VIN? I want to look into this further for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I cant get the reply to work but here is the VIN I think

1G6DP567350185816
    K9will...how much did they charge to replace the torque converter...I am not up for a big bill during the holidays...thanks
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    It was done under warranty. It is is a known issue. A TSB has been issued describing the problem and the remedy. You may be able to negotiate a decent price based on that fact in the event your warranty has expired. This would fall under the 5 year/100K warranty since it pertains to the drive train.
    Rockvillebud,
    I do not see any open recalls for your VIN. I would recommend taking your vehicle in to the dealer to have it diagnosed. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • buss48buss48 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as stated in post #83 2005 CTS with 47000 miles. Slips durning accelation at 35 to 40 mph. My understand is that the warrenty is 4 years or 50000 miles on drive train, I am under the 50000 miles but over the 4 years. ,Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
    I think it is 5yr/100k on the drive train warranty so get there fast. Today I was at the dealer and they flashed the software for $129 and said they thought it was fixed. Driving it home it seemed to be fixed but I want to drive it a bunch more before I declare it fixed. They said they had to go through this software step first before they could talk to GM about replacing the converter. They thought GM might pay for the part and I would pay for the labor if we have to replace it. I have no cost estimates I will keep posting here until I am satisfied all is well.

Thanks everybody for the info and encouragement you have sent. I was depressed about the whole mess but things are looking up. 11/29/10
  • buss48buss48 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information think I am in trouble with the warrenty,purchased my 2005 on 01/05/05
    that's 5 + years.Guess I will try the flash.
    Thanks
  • ashmontashmont Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 CTS that recently has given me problems. All is fine and then I find that the car will not accelerate quickly. Usually I am moving at over 40 MPH. On a flat surface I can very slowly gain speed, but if I push the accelerator hard, the rpms rev and the service engine warning appears on the warning panel. I can usually turn the engine off and on and the problem disappears. Transmission otherwise is smooth and works fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
    k9will here when my 04 3.6 w/5l40e auto transmission sits overnite it will hesitate going in gear or you could call it slipping moves but will not pull until it engages in gear, i am trying to find out is it converter leaking fluid out or electrical solinoid not ingaging. or no fluid getting to clutches. I know i don't have the first 5l40e transmission that has done this. can someone explain this flash that they talk about doing to the trans. i can understand it if you can explain what it does THANKS k9will
  • mbarnett4mbarnett4 Member Posts: 2
    At around 45 and 55 miles per hour my car starts to sort of buck....and when I get to 60 or 65 it smooths out, until I drop back down to 45 again. So I took the car to the Hendrick Cadillac Dealer/Repair center. They stated that the timing belt needs to be replaced. They also did the following:

- spark plugs replaced
    - replaced rear mount and pinion seal
    - replaced brake caliper
    - oil change

The day I got my car back I noticed it was still doing the exact same thing, same symptoms and all. I called the repair facility and and spoke to the assistant service manager. I told him that the car drives like I never brought it in. Also it was burning gas like crazy. The service manager scheduled a "ride along" with a mechanic. The caliper was replaced yet the breaking still sounds like crap. The car is still bucking at 45 mph. The mechanic recommended that I bring the car in for a transmission flush $225 and a pad and rotor resurfacing $225.

A week later the transmission is gone. Car revs but will not move. I called the repair facility and spoke to the service manager. He asked me to check the transmission fluid. I asked him if any of the trouble indication could have been diagnosed as a transmission problem. Of course he said No way. I feel as though my car was sabotaged. Should I take it back to them or to another repair facility?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    It sounds like the transmission was hunting back and forth between 4th and 5th. 45 is where it changes from 4th to 5th. Why in the heck did they not realize something like that? How could anyone think that the things they did were going to solve the problem you were having. This was just stupidity on their part.
  • mbarnett4mbarnett4 Member Posts: 2
    Well I am having it towed back to them today. I hope this time they get it right. No matter what complaints I make as a customer, I can't win.
  • padocolpadocol Member Posts: 4
    The transmission on my CTS suddenly started to slip and at the next traffic light quit completely ... smelt of coolent and "check coolant level" screen illuminated. Towed to dealer and of course found transmission coolant line pulled out of radiator. Dealer advised replacement rad and repairs would be about $2200 but due to the low mileage (70,440 kms) GM had agreed to split bill 50/50 so my bill would be about $1250, assuming no other damage (transmission). Seems like high cost for just a radiator replacement. Does anyone know what average price should be? Why hasn't GM stepped up and admitted they have a problem with these lines which could have the potential of costing owner's big money if transmission has to be replaced?
    Radiator is $550 bucks and 3 hours labor, so in my neck of the woods about $1000 should cover it.

Also the diagnosis doesn't seem quite right, since the cooler line to the radiator carries transmission fluid, not engine coolant. The coolant tank and ATF tank in the radiator are two separate compartments. You shouldn't be losing coolant if the trans cooler line pulls out---you should be losing trans fluid. Now sometimes the two tanks can contaminate each other, which is a real mess, and would require complete flushing of the transmission, including torque converter, so that could add some labor---but still, unless there's more to be done on the car, their estimate sounds like you're actually pay 1/2 of a bill that was inflated to 2X.

Not nice.
    Thanks Mr. Shiftright...I agree with your comments, however here in Canada, we get shafted good when it comes to car repairs. After requesting breakdown of repair from dealer, I got: radiator $735.00, tranmission cooler lines $450.00, fluids and misc. $100.00, 7 hours labour $700.00 plus taxes for a total of $2250.00 then split 50/50 for $1250.00. This of course is assuming no other damages. The transmission concerns me as by reading other comments, this failure can result in major damage. I too cannot explain why the check coolant level screen illuminated or why the coolant recovery tank was low. Prior to the failure, the car was running at normal temperatures. Being a retired old school mechanic, when cooling lines failed or rusted out, we simply joined the lines with steel tubing or at worse rubber hose and clamps...I guess this isn't done anymore. The dealer still has the car waiting parts, it should be ready next Wednesday. I will keep you informed on the ongoing saga and will pray that my transmission has not gone south!
  • esozesoz Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have 2006 cts with the 3.6 litre engine and it has about 102,000kms. Ive only had the car about a year now.

The other day while I was parking, When I the put the car in reverse there was no response, then also no response in drive. The engine would rev and the car temperature was normal.

I then noticed the was a huge transmission fluid leak, it went from under my hood to under the car. Its weird because the car was running fine, not slipping gears or anything, then all of a sudden the transmission stopped completely. I'm guessing maybe the houseing, a plug or something came loose or completely ruptured.

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with the issue, I'm going to take it to a mechanic soon but just dont wan't to get ripped off and maybe its a simple fix i could do.
    Gee, a leak that big and that fast suggests to me a ruptured cooling line from the transmission to the radiator.
    k9will here i had simular problem but what happens is trans line going into radiator pulls out of radiator and the plastic core separates from the alum. trans cooler inside radiator and the 2 fluids can pour out together causing the need to replace the radiator the lines should be ok but gm knows there is a problem with this design because i have read others with same problem but that is way they need to replace radiator Im hope this helps
  • esozesoz Member Posts: 2
    oh ok thanks, you have any idea of how much the parts and hours of labour would be approximately?
    Hard to say until we know what's wrong. But if it was just one busted line, and not radiator damage, it doesn't sound like it would be too expensive---cost of the line + labor plus replacing the fluid.

If the radiator needed replacing, that gets pricey---about $550 + 3.0 hours labor.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just an FYI almost all automatics have the trans cooler built into the radiator on modern cars.

-mike
    Just got my CTS back from dealer after cooling line failure,they replaced radiator,both cooling lines and all necessary fluids,total cost including taxes was$2280.00.After my loud verbal.many emails, complaints,(called GM Canada)they agreed as a good will gesture to cut bill in half...my share being...$1138.00.Good that they did that,but bottomline is they know they have a problem and a "no charge" recall is in order.
    Well given the age of the car, I congratulate you on getting anything out of them---although I have to say, the bill you got originally seems very high.
  • troymorehousetroymorehouse Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with my 2006 CTS (automatic 5-speed).

When accelerating under load, the transmission makes a rattling noise like it is slipping as it changes gears.

The first time it happened was about 6 months after my first transmission fluid change. The dealer replaced my Torque Converter and the issue went away... until 6 months later. They found the same symptoms as the first time, but decided to not replace the torque converted and gave me a full new transmission as they couldn't find out why it was occurring.

Now it is 6 months later and it started to the same thing this past Sunday.

For some reason i think it might be the wrong fluid they used, or the fluid pressure setting is too low (I do mainly city driving, not so much highway driving). The car only has 66,000kms on it.
  • robin32robin32 Member Posts: 2
    my 2004 is a mess had a crank sensor replaced.tie rod know a bearing and air flow sensor is gone with 66,000 miles.the gas milage sucks.its such a beautiful car very sad selling for 9,000
  • robin32robin32 Member Posts: 2
    its the air flow sensor its happening to me very slow