Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Transmission Problems

124»

Comments

• roadcallroadcall Member Posts: 1
    I loved my CTS initially, especially it being my first American car. I had to take in already because the sound after 6000 rpm was worrisome, but the dealership told me that's just how they all sound. So I have about 10k miles on my 2012 AWD CTS, almost all highway miles going to and from work. At times, I get heavy footed. On the highway, my car reacts normally. On the streets though, if I'm pedal to the medal, my car, it slips changing gears from 1st to 2'nd gear. The car sounds like it's trying to change gears, then the traction control light toggles on and off a few times. Anyone else experience this problem? It happened to me once before and now it happening a little more often. This is a brand new 40k "luxury" sedan, this really shouldn't be an issue.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good evening roadcall,
    Congratulations on your 2012 CTS! Although, we're certainly sorry to hear you're experiencing some shifting concerns. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who responds to incoming emails, will assist you further.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lacchicklacchick Member Posts: 1
    Hey Scott. I was googling my issue that I had with my 05 cts to see if I can find answers and I came across your message. I have the same exact problem. The exact same! I have 97K miles on mine and went to lube stop to get an oil change 1 day and everything was fine until 2 days later. I was at a red light and got stuck. My car was not moving. It never turned off though. Kept running. Problem turned out to be the lines and coolants and trans and radiator fluids mixing and messing up my transmission. Same like you. Anyways I got my radiator replaced and flushed out the system and new lines and fluids. It's running now but not the same. Feels weird when I shift gears and my rpm Gauge is screwed too. It keeps moving around. When I try to accelerate at high speeds, my car makes loud terrible noise. And feels like it takes a while to reach that speed. Sucks! So I took it back to the shop and the guy tells me he believes the transmission was messed up. He said my car will eventually stop working and tells me to trade it in. That's what he would do. But I don't want to. I love my car although it has given me multiple issues before. He says to replace the transmission it will cost me almost $3000 for a used one. So now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I don't want another car note. But I also can't pay 3K and it might break down on me in the future again. Don't think it's worth it so I'm going to trade it in unless I can find a cheap trans online and just have him replace it for me on the side. If u come across a cheap one, let me know! Good luck to u.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lacchick,
    Are you working with a GM dealership on this repair work? If so, we're available to work with you through that process and can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • docrambodocrambo Member Posts: 1
    GEE I JUST PURCHASED A 2004 CTS AND IN FIVE DAYS - AM EXPERIENCING TRANSMISSION SLIPPAGE - IS THERE A FIX OR DID I GET HOSED

AND NEED TO BY A FORD??
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    If it were me, I would be running to trade it in. You have some big-time expense coming with your transmission. You will most likely need a new one. Go for the Ford. This comes from someone who drives a 2009 which I like.
  • berto410berto410 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Cadillac cts 2004. Have the same problem as you ... Did you get your car fixed?
  • 1lovecadillac1lovecadillac Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with mine. Cadillac sucks at this. I was on the interstate when this happened. The connection between the transmission is cut off so that you don't ruin the transmission. However the engine will remain on so that you can use the power brakes. The car was under warranty when this happened. The dealership fixed it but the car doesn't drive the the same. Before it used to just glide. Now you notice each and every gear change. The gear changes are so rough and there is no power the car drives like a cement truck. I suggest people stay away from Cadillac until they take time to fix this issue. Instead of launching new models take time and build a car worthy of the name. Reliability on these models sucks ......
  • gothmothergothmother Member Posts: 1
    my parents own the car and at around 10K miles they allegedly had transmission replaced by cadillac dealer. they were accused of driving with 2 feet causing the transmission to fail!!! now the car is back at the dealer and once again for the transmission that was replaced about a year ago and car has almost 13K miles on it total!!! once again the driving with 2 feet has come up however, my parents haven't been the only ones driving the car since health problems have forced them to rely on me driving them in their car...i do not drive with 2 feet and i haven't observed either of them doing that before i took over driving the car. dealer is saying that GM may not cover a new tranny since they just replaced one and now i am wondering if it was even replaced or 'fixed' old one. either way SHOULD A CAR WITH LESS THAN 13K MILES NEED TRANSMISSION WORK TWICE IN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR??? WHY IS USING 2 FEET OR NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT...I WOULD THINK THE BRAKES WOULD HAVE FAILED BEFORE A TRANSMISSION :cry:
    Hello,

I'd like to look further into this concern you're having with your parents' vehicle. If you want to send me the VIN and your full name I can document your complaint and work with you in seeking more answers regarding your concern. You can email us at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Amber. Please keep me posted.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • david780adavid780a Member Posts: 8
    my 2004 did the same thing, this is a manufactueres defect but cadillac will not reconise it, the same as the timing chaines on the 3.6, seems like the 2004 model year is not included with the timing chain warranty only 2005 and up, but the 2004 3.6 chaines are failing on people too.with a car like cadillac to put profits before doing the right thing, (to fix defective chaines, transmissions, coolant lines and radiators) i will never buy another cadillac again, cadillac is not worthy of my hard earned money.
  • tinmanwpktinmanwpk Member Posts: 1
    My transmission in my 2010 CTS has dropped out three times in the last two months. I have had a loaner way too much. The quality of service from Cadillac has been poor as well as the treatment by Cadillac themselves.

I know most of us only post when we are unhappy with a product. I am quite active on another Cadillac forum with over 2000 posts, most of them positive. I cannot post anything positive about my transmission taking a dump three times in two months.
    Hi tinmanwpk,

I am sorry to hear that you have had trouble with the transmission in your Cadillac. Have you spoken to anyone from Cadillac Customer Care about this repeated issue? If not we'd be more than happy to document your issues in a customer assistance case.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • jcf123jcf123 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 CTS 4 and just experience my first major failure. The car has 104,561 miles (just over factory warranty of course) and the transmission and transfer case according to the dealership are toast. Estimated costs are expected to exceed $7500 which is cost prohibitive. I love the car but it doesnt seem reasonable to repair it at this point. I am going to get crushed on the loan.

Is there a way to work with Cadillac or GM on a reasonable resolution to this? I have been a GM owner for my entire life so I would hope that they would look at the perfect maintenance record and be able to cover at least part of the expense.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You may want to consider contacting an auto wrecker who has a wrecked, low mileage 2008 CTS with powertrain intact. It may be a cheaper way to go in order to prolong the life of the vehicle. Good luck.
    Hello,

I'm sorry to learn of your recent transmission failure. If you're interested, I'd like to look more into this for you to see what options are available to you towards your transmission repair. Please send your name, VIN, contact information and dealership to socialmedia@gm.com [Attn Amber]. Please also reference this forum post.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • david780adavid780a Member Posts: 8
    a new cadillac and needs transmission replaced at 10,000 and again at 13,000 is nonsense.that car is a lemon and they have to keep replacing that transmission up to 100,000 miles,if the dealer refuses to keep replacing it, sue them, they have not a leg to stand on that car has a 100,000 miles drive train warranty, period.
  • douglast35douglast35 Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the exact same problem, same relative millage and just out of warranty. Upon researching the issue, it turns out that the failure is common, the spline shaft going to the transfer case has been re-designed to include an o-ring, or seal. Basically, the lubricant is depleted without the seal, and the axial motion of the spline causes burnishing of the teeth, and failure. The odd thing is that the failure disengages the parking pawl, which is a recall in all other such cases. I am currently talking with GM, but it has gone nowhere.
  • seantorseantor Member Posts: 1
    pokergirl said:
    I have a 2005 Cadillac CTS with 7,000 miles on it. There were no problems with my car until I brought it in to the Cadillac dealer 3 weeks ago to get the oil changed. Since the oil has been changed, the car now makes a grinding noise when driving at low speeds. I dropped off the CTS this morning at the dealer I purchased the car from to see if they could find any problems with the car. The service manager left me a message late this afternoon saying the noise was the rear differential. How concerned should I be about this? I have no idea what a rear differential is or what it does. :cry: Thanks for any help.
    To most of  that have transmission issues the problem is transmission temperature when the Trans fluid gets hot the transmission starts to shift irradicly have them install an additional transmission cooler that will solve most shifting issues. 
  • robert6996robert6996 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 CTS and it makes the same howling noise when driving, it will also not duplicate itself when in park or neutral and revving engine. I agree that it is a problem with the rear end but before y go and replace the whole differential, check the bushings hoding the differential to car, if these are worn then the differential IS going to make a howling noise because it is not lined up properly, the bushings help to keep the differential in line.
  • valeria2valeria2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 CTS with 65,000 miles. I was initially very pleased with the car...until I had a problem. The car always hesitated when shifting from reverse to drive. Two weeks ago, the car would not move in reverse. I had to be pushed out of a parking space by three people. I took it to the dealer Curry Cadillac in NY. They told me that they could not recreate my complaint. So they drove it around the parking lot and let the car sit for 3 days. They did nothing. All of a sudden the car must have fixed itself. I know the transmission is on the verge of a breakdown. But, the Cadillac dealer didn't want to acknowledge a problem nor did the corporate office. When I called they refused to put a supervisor on the phone. It appears Cadillac doesn't stand by its cars, warranty or service. Has anyone else experienced this...because I'm going to tell everyone in my church, job and sorority to bypass Cadillac.

• valeria2valeria2 Member Posts: 2
    I wish I would have seen your post sooner cause I have a 2007 caddy cts 3.6 engine and my car will pull in reverse but when I put it in drive it will not move I hope someone on here can tell me what may be the problem cause Ive changed the fluid and filter still same problem
  • fuelish_habitfuelish_habit Member Posts: 1
    My step daughter has a 2004 Cadillac CTS with 3.6 V-6 and automatic. 157K miles on it. She had it towed to a transmission shop because it wouldn't go into gear. Shifter worked okay, just wouldn't move. They looked at it and said it needed a transmission rebuild at $2800 + tax. Money she doesn't have. So she got a used transmission from a reputable wrecking yard with 98K miles on it. We installed it (what a job!) and when we put the car in gear, nothing. NADA! We checked the fluid level in the replacement unit during the installation and found that the pan had been drained for shipment and we refilled it with the right Dextron fluid compatible with this year vehicle. After the engine had been running for a while, we pulled the level inspection plug on the trans (no trans dipstick on these models) and the fluid was right where it was supposed to be, so we're assuming the torque converter was shipped full and is still full, since there was no drop in the transmission pan level after running the engine for over 10 minutes at idle. If the torque converter had been low or empty, this should have filled it up. We are looking to see if there is some electronic input (or lack of an input) that could cause the transmission to not go into gear. We are also going to remove the shifter linkage at the transmission and try to shift it with just the transmission shifter shaft in case there's a problem with the shifter linkage. The car is on a 4 post lift in my shop and I'll have someone in the car stepping on the brake while we try this. I just am not buying that two transmissions will have the same fault. I guess it's possible the used replacement could have an issue, but I think it's unlikely. MY luck isn't usually that bad. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. This one has me scratching a big hole in my otherwise perfect head!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    check the relevant wiring harness connectors for continuity vs. corrosion?
    i saw a youtube where guy fixed similar recuring issues by adding dielectric grease in the connectors and reseating them.
  • FkncaddyFkncaddy Member Posts: 1
    LOL my 06 cts did the same thing when i was on the highway went to one gear then had nothing rolled to stop starts seems  but seems stuck in park... since everyone doesnt seem to have the root to the problem i am going to go ahead and assume its a wiring issue thats throwing something let the rebuilding begin 😈
  • RClark64701RClark64701 Member Posts: 1

2005 cts 3.6l I just broke 100k miles on it and it blew the transmission line out of the radiator. To me this sort of a thing should always be covered because it is a known defect in craftsmanship. And we didn't buy a caddy to get run of the mill lower than dirt craftsmanship. And that's what it seems to be looking like. Before I hit 100k I have had to replace all 4 rotors,calipers,shocks and struts, have done 3 "tune ups"... replaced all of the bushings. And now I have to buy a radiatorandhope I don'tneed a transmission. I'm getting tired of making my car into what it was supposed to have been from the factory. Cadillac has always stood for quality cars and quality parts. This is nothing more than a bait and switch to me. I bought a Cadillac and got a pinto...I will not be looking at a Cadillac for any new vehicle I purchase from now on.