Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• hciihcii Posts: 3
    Why would my CTS "lose" the sport shift mode and revert back to normal shift?

The manual states that if placed into S mode, that the car should remain in that mode until the button is pressed again.

There is no distinct pattern to what is going on. Sometimes it will remain is sport mode for days, and sometimes will revert back in a matter of hours. I have consciously been concerned with it, so I am sure that I am not inadvertantly turning it off.

Any ideas?

HC
  • around here. I have heard that when the SRX goes on sale that the 3.6 V6 will not be ready yet (what a surprise that GM doesn't have the engine ready). The SRX will only be available with the 8. So, I would imagine that the CTS will be getting the 3.2 longer than anticipated. I believe this to be pretty accurate information.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I wanted a CTS from the get go ! No Caddy
    dealer in central NY would do GM employee
    discount on them.....My 96 Deville had almost
    100k miles and need those dreaded $2500 front
    electric struts so I couldn't wait ! Plus that
    3000 rebate and a 1000 Caddy loyalty cert.and
    my $3200 GM card points along with my
    GM emp. discount wasn't hard to pass up on a
    new Deville !....Next year a CTS V-8 WILL be
    parked in my driveway !.................geo

BTW: I LOVE SMOKING lesser MBs, BMWs, and
    tin can Camrys ie: Lexus off the stoplights!
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The 2003 CTS could be built until the end of December with the 3.2 or the 3.6 could be an optional engine for the 2004 model year. Also the 3.6 production could be made available for the CTS first and as output is ramped up, the SRX could get it later. I think the V8 will be a nice engine for the SRX.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    How fast the Northstar Caddys are... until they get smoked by one.

They're going to need a lot of those sixes for the CTS. Besides, when an all new vehicle is introduced, they're usually loaded to the hilt, so most SRX probably have been V8's anyway. I sat in the local Lincoln dealer's first Aviator... $48K sticker so expect similar for SRX.

BTW... it's amazing how fast those Lincoln sales guys move when you pull up in a Caddy.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    There is just nothing like the feel of a V8, especially if it says "32 Valve Northstar" on it. I had an SLS as a rental last summer and while it certainly didn't handle as sharply as thw CTS does, the wonderful sound and feel of the Northstar was addictive. My guess is is the SRX will come out in V8 form first just like the BMW X5 came out in V8 form first.
  • I think it is good it will only have the V8 to begin with, then all the auto mags will test that instead of the 6, possibly that could give it better reveiws. Although I don't doubt that the V6 is a good engine.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Richw5 - if you would like to see pictures of my CTS with the grill painted to match, e-mail me at msumner@worldnet.att.net and I will send them to you.

If anyone else would like to see them or put them on a website e-mail me.

Bingo
  • necrosnecros Posts: 127
    I'd be happy to host them in my webspace so everyone can see them. You can email them to me at necros@gtemail.net and I'll put them up.
  • eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    A lot of those SRX's to have that cool panoramic sunroof.

Oldsman -
    I get to enjoy the Northstar myself from time to time when my wife lets me drive her SLS... which isn't often!!
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    When are the XLR and SRX coming out? I notice that on the edmunds site on the Detroit autoshow, they're not listed as new models or concept cars, does that mean they're somewhere in between. It wouldn't surprise me if they won't debut at all 2003, but sometime in 2004. In the SRX segment, definitely the following SUV's are coming in 2003: RX330, FX35/45, Touareg, Cayenne. It's not like the SRX is ahead of its time.

Caddy's timing is not helpful, to say the least! CTS was supposed to debut with the powerful 3.6L engine, that was more than 2 yrs, and we're still waiting. We've waited almost that long for the CTS-v. The chassis and engine are already there, so what's taking so long? In a similar situation, many a competitor of Caddy would bring out the product in half a year!
  • Would you rather have a well-executed car, or a POS? It is not as simple as throwing in an LS6 and saying thats that. They are tuning the chassis more, making sure the exhaust is right. They are not just throwing the stuff in. The SRX debuts 2nd quarter, the XLR 3rd. Also, the 3.6 is already ready, they just are fine tuning it, waiting for the SRX. Remember the CTS is not just getting V-Series and the 3.6, it is getting a more luxurious interior, and so on. They shouldn't debut if they are POSs, they need to be good.
  • For the record, the 3.6L was never intended for the CTS start of production (or even close to it). I also wish it was easy to drop a V-8 into a space created for a V-6 (which also happens to have 80 - 90% more torque/horsepower). Lastly, I guarantee none of our competitors would do it in half the time. Physics is physics - and tooling lead times are tooling lead times.

Glad to see the owners are enjoying their cars!
  • So when does the CTS get the 3.6? It was not intended for the start of production? My point is that GM did not have the proper motor ready for a brand new model and platform. The re worked 3.2 does not cut it compared to the competition (BMW 3, G35). The CTS set the BMW as its benchmark and came up short in the power train department. I love the CTS and think it is one of the best looking cars on the road, the more I see them the more I like them. I have always been a GM fan and want them to succeed, it just irritates me when the have a golden opportunity and come up short. How about another example - the 2004 Malibu. 3.5 V6 only has 200hp. The Malibu's main competition the Accord and Camry have north of 240hp from their V6s. And yes I know the Malibu is intended to be a sports sedan but either is the Accord or the Camry.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    pmdriver: one would think that when laying out the marketing requirements for a car for this segment, one would spec enough room for a V8, since it is pretty much a US (and Asia) market requirement.

bigdaddycoats: I hope your last sentence was supposed to say "And yes, I know the Malibu ISN'T intended to be a sports sedan but NEITHER is the Accord or the Camry." The Altima and Maxima go 240-250HP too, with the same basic VQ35 V6 that's in most everything else Nissan offers these days (that's a very sweet engine, and they've obviously got a handle on its manufacturing cost.)
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Camry v6 has 190hp and recommends premium fuel from what I've read. Accord gets 240 from regular.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    As someone else here said, I think it was wise of Cadillac to wait until the CTS and it's new engine were ready well tested rather than having them ready quickly but troubleprone. Cadillac needed a car like the CTS 3 years ago and since the chassis was ready to go, I don't see the problem in going ahead and getting the car on the market with a stop-gap engine. I agree that the CTS is a little behind the HP curve, but it's not like they are the only ones who have introuduced a new car with a moderately powerful engine. For years GM has instroduced new cars with wonderful powertrains, but lackluster everything else and that has hurt them. With the CTS, they seem to have gotten the entire package right out of the box. And when the more powerful engines arrive, it will only improve an already excellent car.
  • scottc8scottc8 Posts: 617
    I'm not a Cadillac owner, but read this board fairly often because of my interest in sport sedans. One thing that stands out here is the lack of complaints about chronic problems, pretty remarkable for a first year car. As oldsman01 said, they got it right by virtue of doing their homework well, before going into production.
  • I love the CTS. My mother has one and I've spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel. The 3.2 is a decent engine. BUT...

The fact that the 3.6 was not ready for the 2003 model year is inexcusable. It is indicative of everything that was wrong with GM. If they want to play in the big leauges they have to do better. Introducing a landmark new model with a stop-gap engine is frankly embarassing, no matter how decent the stop-gap engine is. Why can Honda redesign their engines every 4-5 years, and they are first rate every time? And this is not the fisrt time for Cadillac. Remember the 1992 Seville/Eldorado with the 4.9 because the Northstar wasn't ready? Sorry folks. BMW, M-B, Lexus et al do not have to make excuses, and neither should Cadillac. Man, I hope they make the Sixteen!
  • SERIOUSLY considering buying a CTS but can't decide if I should wait for the 04's or go ahead with the 03. What to do? I really don't need more than the 220hp for my driving but may like the adjustments on the interior, as rumored for the 04. Anyone have any info or links about the new 04's? Thanks!!