Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Isn't the replacement getting 500hp, or was it the m3 that was getting 400hp, or both.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Upcoming M5 will have a 500 hp V10!!!!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Upcoming new 5 series will also have the annoying i-drive system. Remember when it was the US cars that were criticized for their "gadgetry"? I'll never forget how the auto press hated the 86 Buick Riviera's touch screen cotrol panel for the radio, HVAC, driver info center, and optional phone but now they have become common on most upscale luxury sedans with the addition of navigation systems.
  • cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    Will have a new V12, not the 7.5L in the Cien, a 5.5L making more than 500hp, that is what some insiders are saying at least.
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Accel is now in the rechargable air filter game with their Kool Blue line. They currently offer filters for various Cadillacs, including Catera but not the CTS yet. I fired off an eMail inquirying if and when they will. I'll post the reply. Still no word from K&N re: their CTS filter.

www.koolblue.com

This last weekend, Access Hollywood ran clips from Matrix Reloaded focusing on the car chase scenes. Looks like major face time for the CTS. Coming in May. Can't wait!
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I'm visiting in Phoenix this weekend. I just drove past the local Cad dealer on Camelback and spotted a White CTS on a turntable out front with a small raised spoiler on the trunk lid above the center brake light. It was only a quick glance as we drove by but it looked pretty good. Sorry, no pictures. Maybe if I pass it again tomarrow I might be able to get a shot with my new digital camera.

Bingo
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Bingoman: Cadillac W. of Las Vegas offered me installation of the rear spoiler for $ 919.00. I think I'm going to have it done in Febuary. They had a black CTS on the showroom floor with rear spoiler dual exhuast, and customized grill, when I purchased my CTS. It was pretty sharp. As a lux sport model, I think it was going for 43K.

thebug...
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Just back from my annual NY to Fla-Vegas trip.
    My new Deville was flawless !
    Great reading everybodys posts on their CTS !
    Well the V-8 is coming soon.. so I can wait
    till next year to get me one !...........geo
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Has actually told me I could buy a CTSv when my turn comes around in a couple of years, but I'm way too much of a cheapskate to shell out that kind of cash... I think $20K is a lot for a car!

I believe I will be able to console myself quite well with a poor, orphaned '03 CTS at a price that's to my liking :-D.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Wow, its been quiet here lately...
  • hciihcii Member Posts: 3
    Why would my CTS "lose" the sport shift mode and revert back to normal shift?

The manual states that if placed into S mode, that the car should remain in that mode until the button is pressed again.

There is no distinct pattern to what is going on. Sometimes it will remain is sport mode for days, and sometimes will revert back in a matter of hours. I have consciously been concerned with it, so I am sure that I am not inadvertantly turning it off.

Any ideas?

HC
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    around here. I have heard that when the SRX goes on sale that the 3.6 V6 will not be ready yet (what a surprise that GM doesn't have the engine ready). The SRX will only be available with the 8. So, I would imagine that the CTS will be getting the 3.2 longer than anticipated. I believe this to be pretty accurate information.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I wanted a CTS from the get go ! No Caddy
    dealer in central NY would do GM employee
    discount on them.....My 96 Deville had almost
    100k miles and need those dreaded $2500 front
    electric struts so I couldn't wait ! Plus that
    3000 rebate and a 1000 Caddy loyalty cert.and
    my $3200 GM card points along with my
    GM emp. discount wasn't hard to pass up on a
    new Deville !....Next year a CTS V-8 WILL be
    parked in my driveway !.................geo

BTW: I LOVE SMOKING lesser MBs, BMWs, and
    tin can Camrys ie: Lexus off the stoplights!
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    The 2003 CTS could be built until the end of December with the 3.2 or the 3.6 could be an optional engine for the 2004 model year. Also the 3.6 production could be made available for the CTS first and as output is ramped up, the SRX could get it later. I think the V8 will be a nice engine for the SRX.
    How fast the Northstar Caddys are... until they get smoked by one.

They're going to need a lot of those sixes for the CTS. Besides, when an all new vehicle is introduced, they're usually loaded to the hilt, so most SRX probably have been V8's anyway. I sat in the local Lincoln dealer's first Aviator... $48K sticker so expect similar for SRX.

BTW... it's amazing how fast those Lincoln sales guys move when you pull up in a Caddy.
    There is just nothing like the feel of a V8, especially if it says "32 Valve Northstar" on it. I had an SLS as a rental last summer and while it certainly didn't handle as sharply as thw CTS does, the wonderful sound and feel of the Northstar was addictive. My guess is is the SRX will come out in V8 form first just like the BMW X5 came out in V8 form first.
    I think it is good it will only have the V8 to begin with, then all the auto mags will test that instead of the 6, possibly that could give it better reveiws. Although I don't doubt that the V6 is a good engine.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Richw5 - if you would like to see pictures of my CTS with the grill painted to match, e-mail me at msumner@worldnet.att.net and I will send them to you.

If anyone else would like to see them or put them on a website e-mail me.

Bingo
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    I'd be happy to host them in my webspace so everyone can see them. You can email them to me at necros@gtemail.net and I'll put them up.
    A lot of those SRX's to have that cool panoramic sunroof.

Oldsman -
    I get to enjoy the Northstar myself from time to time when my wife lets me drive her SLS... which isn't often!!
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    When are the XLR and SRX coming out? I notice that on the edmunds site on the Detroit autoshow, they're not listed as new models or concept cars, does that mean they're somewhere in between. It wouldn't surprise me if they won't debut at all 2003, but sometime in 2004. In the SRX segment, definitely the following SUV's are coming in 2003: RX330, FX35/45, Touareg, Cayenne. It's not like the SRX is ahead of its time.

Caddy's timing is not helpful, to say the least! CTS was supposed to debut with the powerful 3.6L engine, that was more than 2 yrs, and we're still waiting. We've waited almost that long for the CTS-v. The chassis and engine are already there, so what's taking so long? In a similar situation, many a competitor of Caddy would bring out the product in half a year!
    Would you rather have a well-executed car, or a POS? It is not as simple as throwing in an LS6 and saying thats that. They are tuning the chassis more, making sure the exhaust is right. They are not just throwing the stuff in. The SRX debuts 2nd quarter, the XLR 3rd. Also, the 3.6 is already ready, they just are fine tuning it, waiting for the SRX. Remember the CTS is not just getting V-Series and the 3.6, it is getting a more luxurious interior, and so on. They shouldn't debut if they are POSs, they need to be good.
  • pmdriverpmdriver Member Posts: 11
    For the record, the 3.6L was never intended for the CTS start of production (or even close to it). I also wish it was easy to drop a V-8 into a space created for a V-6 (which also happens to have 80 - 90% more torque/horsepower). Lastly, I guarantee none of our competitors would do it in half the time. Physics is physics - and tooling lead times are tooling lead times.

Glad to see the owners are enjoying their cars!
    So when does the CTS get the 3.6? It was not intended for the start of production? My point is that GM did not have the proper motor ready for a brand new model and platform. The re worked 3.2 does not cut it compared to the competition (BMW 3, G35). The CTS set the BMW as its benchmark and came up short in the power train department. I love the CTS and think it is one of the best looking cars on the road, the more I see them the more I like them. I have always been a GM fan and want them to succeed, it just irritates me when the have a golden opportunity and come up short. How about another example - the 2004 Malibu. 3.5 V6 only has 200hp. The Malibu's main competition the Accord and Camry have north of 240hp from their V6s. And yes I know the Malibu is intended to be a sports sedan but either is the Accord or the Camry.
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    pmdriver: one would think that when laying out the marketing requirements for a car for this segment, one would spec enough room for a V8, since it is pretty much a US (and Asia) market requirement.

bigdaddycoats: I hope your last sentence was supposed to say "And yes, I know the Malibu ISN'T intended to be a sports sedan but NEITHER is the Accord or the Camry." The Altima and Maxima go 240-250HP too, with the same basic VQ35 V6 that's in most everything else Nissan offers these days (that's a very sweet engine, and they've obviously got a handle on its manufacturing cost.)
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Camry v6 has 190hp and recommends premium fuel from what I've read. Accord gets 240 from regular.
    As someone else here said, I think it was wise of Cadillac to wait until the CTS and it's new engine were ready well tested rather than having them ready quickly but troubleprone. Cadillac needed a car like the CTS 3 years ago and since the chassis was ready to go, I don't see the problem in going ahead and getting the car on the market with a stop-gap engine. I agree that the CTS is a little behind the HP curve, but it's not like they are the only ones who have introuduced a new car with a moderately powerful engine. For years GM has instroduced new cars with wonderful powertrains, but lackluster everything else and that has hurt them. With the CTS, they seem to have gotten the entire package right out of the box. And when the more powerful engines arrive, it will only improve an already excellent car.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    I'm not a Cadillac owner, but read this board fairly often because of my interest in sport sedans. One thing that stands out here is the lack of complaints about chronic problems, pretty remarkable for a first year car. As oldsman01 said, they got it right by virtue of doing their homework well, before going into production.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I love the CTS. My mother has one and I've spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel. The 3.2 is a decent engine. BUT...

The fact that the 3.6 was not ready for the 2003 model year is inexcusable. It is indicative of everything that was wrong with GM. If they want to play in the big leauges they have to do better. Introducing a landmark new model with a stop-gap engine is frankly embarassing, no matter how decent the stop-gap engine is. Why can Honda redesign their engines every 4-5 years, and they are first rate every time? And this is not the fisrt time for Cadillac. Remember the 1992 Seville/Eldorado with the 4.9 because the Northstar wasn't ready? Sorry folks. BMW, M-B, Lexus et al do not have to make excuses, and neither should Cadillac. Man, I hope they make the Sixteen!
  • loyaltogm1loyaltogm1 Member Posts: 15
    SERIOUSLY considering buying a CTS but can't decide if I should wait for the 04's or go ahead with the 03. What to do? I really don't need more than the 220hp for my driving but may like the adjustments on the interior, as rumored for the 04. Anyone have any info or links about the new 04's? Thanks!!
    It's not just their luxury guys who don't make excuses. Their down-market guys don't either. The current Accord engine wasn't supposed to make 240hp. It only got it because the Altima came out with a 240hp enging, ONE year earlier. If Honda could make such a big change in ONE year, I don't think it's too much to expect Caddy to come out with the 3.6L at the CTS debut, given how long that model was in the planning stages. If you're not prepared to execute quickly, and your competitors are, you're going to be in a competitive disadvantage.

Just a thought: given how long Caddy takes to come up with a V6, how long would it take to come up with a much more complex V16?

There's no auto analyst who thought the 16 is realistic. And if you read what GM executives said, they don't either. The numbers just don't make sense. It'll take years and billions to develop the 16, to compete with the Maybach. MB projects to sell 1000 Maybachs a year, I think. 40% are in the USA. Caddy currently doesn't have a distribution system outside NA. So I assume the 16's total output is 400/year, for the NA market only. How can you recover billions of dollars in investment by selling 400 cars a year? Plus the 16 must have the latest technology, that means continual big investments each year!

MB numbers make more sense. The Maybach V12 is also used in the AMG versions of S/SL/CL classes. They already have a worldwide distribution system, unlike Caddy. They had a V12 for quite a while, so they didn't have to start from scratch.

Now a V12 for Caddy might make sense. After all VW thought it made sense...
  • seatownseatown Member Posts: 6
    If the Sixteen does come to production, i would be VERY surprised to see the 16 cylinder engine in it. For the same reasons mentioned above (development dollars/etc.) But also the fact that its an OHV engine.(I think) Ohv's aren't exactly technical marvels any more. if this is to be a "halo" car its got to be a technological masterpiece. And if it is made I bet it gets the new Northstar v12 and a new name. Cadillac Sixteen sounds stupid anyways.......

craig
    As I said earlier, GM needed a car like the CTS 3 years ago. Rather than wait another year or so on the new engine to be ready, I think they did the right thing in going ahead and bringing the car out. When the new 3 series first came out in 99, it had the old carryover 2.3 and 2.8 liter engines. It wasn't until 2001 that it got the 3.0. I'd love to have seen Cadillac come out of the starting gate with the new engine, but I'm glad they went ahead with the car when they did. And judging from the sales numbers, it seems the car is doing okay. As for Honda, the 2003 Accord engines are the first all new engines the Accord has seen in while. Actually, only the four is new as the 3.0 liter V6 was new for the 1998 model. The previous Accord's four had been around since George H.W. Bush was president with upgrades every 4 years or so. GM has been agonizingly slow to bring out new engines and hopefully that will change, but at least when the new engines come out they are solid. Look at the Northstar V8, it has been out for a little over a decade now and other than some upgrades it has remained in same basic form and hasn't had any major problems. The same cannot be said of "new" Cadillac engines of yore(i.e. HT4100, V8-6-4, diesel).
    I meant to say the Malibu is not intended to be a sports sedan. And yes again the V6 Camry has 192hp. And I love the CTS I just think it needs a better engine to really compete.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    "Look at the Northstar V8, it has been out for a little over a decade now and other than some upgrades it has remained in same basic form and hasn't had any major problems."

Unless you talk to a head Cadillac tech who explains how these engines leak oil and have to have their oil pans silicone sealed on brand new cars. But be that as it may, I will agree that the Northstar is a kicking engine.

"As I said earlier, GM needed a car like the CTS 3 years ago. Rather than wait another year or so on the new engine to be ready, I think they did the right thing in going ahead and bringing the car out. When the new 3 series first came out in 99, it had the old carryover 2.3 and 2.8 liter engines. It wasn't until 2001 that it got the 3.0."

I agree that they did the right thing bringing the car to market without the 3.6. But it makes me sad because it was another missed opportunity to make a huge splash in the market. And...why was GM over the barrel in the marketplace? Because their products paled in comparison to the foreign competition and they were slow to react to the market.

The carryover BMW engines were already among the finest engines in the world. No shame in using them as a carryover. You think the 3.2 Catera engine is in that class? I think it's a different situation.

The Honda's 3.0 for 2003 is extensively re-worked and makes 20% more power, weighs 24 lbs. less, gets better fuel economy, and emits fewer emissions. Good enough to qualify as "new" in my book. What does GM's DOHC 3.5 put out? Oh yeah, they no longer make it. ;)

Believe me, we are rooting for the same team. I look forward to good things from GM and especially Cadillac.
    Spy photo. Some of the info appears to be from september.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5692&sid=17- 8&n=158
    Why do you guys think the 3.6 was delayed? If it was scheduled to go into the '03 CTS then why did they develop the 3.2? It was never ready for the CTS. It will be ready in the fall, for someone that wanted to know what the new interior would be like check out the SRX's.

About the Sixteen, it took them 8 months to develop the V-16, it is already developed, handbuilt, that is how they would be if it was built. It has already gone on a cross country roadtrip, in a Tahoe with a streched hood.

The Mercedes V-12 engines may have awesome numbers, but I can get way over 1000hp if I twin turbo the XV-12. I don't see what all the rage is about the Mercedes V-12s, they would make less than almost every other competitors if they didn't turbo/supercharge.
    Mine has got to be the blue. My dealer has gotten in 2 certified CTS's with 5 speeds in blue.
    They look great.
    One has and in service date of June '02 and the other has a date of 12/14/2001!
    That is either a typo or it was one of the pilot cars or executive cars because they did go on sale to the public until Jan. 2, 2002.
    Awfully early in the build if that date is correct.
    should have said "they did not go on sale until Jan.2nd."
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    Interest consumer device, I thought, but a little pricey ($140 or $180, depending on model):

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

BTW, I'm getting the Check Coolant Level message again.
    Sorry it took me so long to get to this, but here are the pics of bingoman's CTS's painted grill. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing it in the pics, I'm pretty impressed. It looks very nice! It's definitely no landau top. :)

http://home.attbi.com/~madones/Grill01.jpg (250K)
    http://home.attbi.com/~madones/Grill02.jpg (325K)

Careful, for those with slow connections. The pics are kinda large.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    Hello everyone, first post.
    Looking to buy a CTS soon but need some help.
    1. have any of you seen the car in white diamond? I can't seem to spot one anywhere, but really like the color. If white isn't for the CTS I'm thinking of going with the blue onyx or just black.
    2. How much post-negotiating could I get a standard automatic trans for? The website says about 32. I'm hoping to knock off atleast 1.5-2 grand off the book pricing.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    dismiss my first question, i just linked to Bingoman's cadi and, no doubt I want white :)
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    CTS leads off the cars in Cadillac's Super Bowl Ad. Also featured are the Escalade, SRX and SRX. A second ad, "Running of the Bulls" features the Escalade ESV. Note: the first 15 seconds are a microsoft commercial, followed by the two Cadillac ads. Have fun.

http://cgi.techtv.com/mediamodule?action=view&version=2003011- 7150038&video_src=/technews/2003/tl030117c&width=320&- height=240&vidsection=2100118&add_date=1042790400&sta- rt=&end=&duration=&bitrates='

Rich
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Thanks Rich ,for the ads
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Does look sharp on a white CTS but I wonder what it would look like on a black one. Necros should do some creative changing on one of his pics that show the CTS front view from a distance and change the grill to black. I think necros has a black one maybe I'm wrong.
    "You have to see it in person, it is quite attractive (Look's great in Black!). We would buy the SRX over an RX330 or MB ML350 because of five things:..."

Link:
    http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000120609.cfm

Way to go! Those ads better be good to compete with the expected beer and hamburger commercials. What other types do we usually see on Super Ads, besides cars, beers & burgers?
    Of the wood applied to the console?
    Yep, I've got a black one. Not sure if I have any good straight-on front pics of it, but if I can take one, I'll Photoshop it tonight to make the grill black. I have some other pics from bingoman of a white CTS with a spoiler I have to post anyway, so I'll try to do it all at once. :)