Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    ya know...I was wondering.... how come Edmunds hasn't put up or done a long term test of the CTS... I loved following some of the other cars that I was lookin in to... yet I can't seem to find one for the CTS.... heck... I can't even find a full review of the CTS... only an first drive or follow up... oh well let me know if edmunds ever plans on doin a long term test of the CTS... thanx
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    golfnut5: Nice color combination, IMO a 35% slate/charcoal tint would would make a choice color blend. Enjoy the ride.

calicadi: Didn't get to test before, but after is still a possibility. They did claim that it would enhance the performance a little, but that remains to be seen. As much as I have driven it (a 5K test drive under extreme conditions), I should be able to notice a difference.

I'm taking it on a trip to San Diego (lots of mountains, curves, and typically challenging roadways) for a joy ride shortly after I pick it up. Plan to take I-15 down and loop back using a combination of state highways 78, 86, 62 and 95. Lots of twisty turnys, and the weather sould be pretty nice.

Close to 650 miles total. Going by myself, so I won't have to worry about driver on the right side (I guess, we've all had them in the car). No offense to backseat drivers, but it just makes me uncomfortable when people don't understand the need to rock-n-roll a bit.

thebug...
    IMO, it's probably because nobody likes to eat crow, and I think they know if they test it, crow will be served, because the CTS has surpassed many of their expectations, ie; sales, performance, reliabilty and likeability (if that's a word), to mention a few. An ugly duckling effect, if you will. The CTS rocks!!!

thebug...
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    I know what you mean... when I first saw the car I hated it... now I love it and am worried about prices goin up befor I have a chance to buy one in August... if that happnes I believe I may just go with a G35... not so shure about that though... gtg
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Edmunds is about the last place I want to see a long term review, unless it is for laughs. Their revies have been so far off base on some other vehicles they have done. At one point, I think I have remarked that CR does better reviews. Speaking of, has CR even reviewed the CTS? I'd like to see MT, C&D, or Automobile do a 12 month long term review of the CTS. Maybe when the 04 model becomes available they will.

When I first saw pictures of the CTS back in the summer of 2001, I wasn't sure if I liked the look or not. Then in September I saw one on the road(black) and it's been love ever since. I can remember coming upon that car. I saw something ahead of me that looked out of the ordinary and as I got closer part of me thought it was a CTS but I couln't imagine seeing one since they were still months away from being on sale. Then as I came upon the car it was clear as day, a black CTS with Michigan manufacturer plates on it. I know I know, it's not like Cadillac is the only car maker to build a brand new model, but I think it is just the fact that many of us have wondered if we would ever see the day when Cadillac(or even a US company) would build a truly groundbreaking entry level luxury sedan that breaks the mold. The Lincoln LS was close, but the styling stayed too far on the conservative side. Aside from the CTS-V and the next gen STS, I'm looking forward to the 2005 Chrysler 300C.
  • JNorthstarJNorthstar Posts: 25
    After my 24 HR test drive I purchased a Diamond White CTS with the Lux Package, HID's, Moonroof, Bose, Auto, and Heated Seats. It is scheduled to arrive sometime between Wednesday and Friday of this week. I am turning in my 2001 STS as the lease has expired. I anxiously await its arrival.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Posts: 45
    Here is the CR review:

The CTS replaced the Cadillac Catera, a German-built sedan that tested well but never caught on. Built in the U.S., this rear-wheel drive sports sedan feels agile and taut, but it's riddled with pesky oversights such as an unlit glove box and no assist grip handle for the passenger. Power was originally provided by a 3.2-liter V6; a 3.6-liter, 225-hp V6 is now the standard engine. Acceleration is quick and the transmission is very smooth. The ride is firm, supple, and well controlled, and feels very European. The rear seat is a bit cramped. Stability control comes only with the pricey "sport" package. A CTS-V with a 400-hp V8 from the Corvette will be available in the near future.

Seems like they are factually wrong about the engine. 3.6L 225HP? I don't think so. How about 255HP!! And as far as I know, the 3.2L is still standard for 2003, right?
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    We got a lot of rain here in the Northeast this weekend and I don't think I have the condensation problem others have --there was a little water/condensation all along the very top lip of the surround (right below the center brake light plastic) but I think this is the little bit of surround the extends above its seal, so I don't think this a problem or what others are experiencing. I wonder if this got rectified at some point before my build date (Jan '03). Are those with the problem owners of relatively early production CTSs?

Got to take the CTS on its first road trip. I was very pleased. Even with the car loaded with passengers and bags, the car felt agile. For those familiar with New York, I road it on the Taconic Parkway which is a nice bending, ungulating ride with some stretches of new/good pavement and some stretches of old, choppy pavement. The CTS had a comfortable ride even on the bad stretches (these sort of stretches are a big part of why I shied away from the LuxSport's stiffer ride). After getting to our destination and unloading the car, I got to take it alone on some back, rural roads and flicked on the Sport Mode for the first time. The sport mode is a whole other experience, very fun. It's like having two cars (well, that's sort of an overstatement, but you know what I mean). The complaint: my wife never felt completely comfortable in the passenger seat --that might be partially my fault since I didn't get the power seat on the passenger side and partially the CTS's fault for lacking adjustable lumbar support (which is what she complained about the most).

Thebug, did the Onstar phone end up working with your voicemail?
  • cartesiocartesio Posts: 36
    "...a nice UNGULATING ride..."?

Well, we have deer on Ohio roadways, too!

Happy motoring...
  • rstephrsteph Posts: 109
    CR says "....but it's riddled with pesky oversights such as an unlit glove box and no assist grip handle for the passenger...." Kinda sounds like "the 2nd clock" issue. Interesting that these seem to be the only kinds things "reviewers" can find to gripe about on the CTS. It's almost like they "have to" find something bad to say. 1150 miles on mine now...no issues. OnStar finally got the phone working. Took them almost a month. They gave me an extra 30 minutes free for the trouble.
    Interesting comment on the seats (or seat) being uncomfortable. They are a lot firmer than what I'm used to but, so far, I can't say I'm uncomfortable in them. Also haven't taken any long trips yet...so we'll see.
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    Oops, obviously that should have been "undulating". My typo resulted in a valid, albeit rarely used, word that you caught. New York has plenty of deer, hooves and all. :-)
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    The moisture does clear up. But you know over time it will get dirty and then what? Also bugs like to make their way to the bottom and they are a bite to get out. They slip in near the top by the red brake light across the back of the trunk.

Clock, I am going to get mine fixed soon. But I know it will be off as soon as I reset it agian. You know in illinois if a vehicle problem needs to be fixed 4 times in 12000 of the first year they have to replace the car! I might be reseting that clock alot! If i don't I will have to go in 2 a year as long as I have the car to fix the problem.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    So glad to welcome you folks to the new world of Cadillac. Isn't it a great car? Like other CTS owners have told me, I find myself taking the longer route, just to get some more driving time. Yes, we owners have some nitpicky comments, but by and large it's a very well designed car. And for a totally new design, it's amazing how well put together it is.

About the paint: I've noticed a few rock chips on my 8 month old black CTS. Regretably the primer coat is white, so the chips really show. I suspect the paint is a EPA approved water based paint, but I'm not sure. If you look very closely, or touch it with your hand, you might notice that the paint seems to "peel back" around the nick. I just use some of my black Delstar Acrylic enamel I have left over from one of my car restorations to touch it up. I use a small brush, no problem. However, I would only use the Dealer to do a major repair. Reason: Warranty. Notice in your manual that the paint is part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If the paint starts to crack or peel, you'll have no defense if you have the repair done by an Independent Shop. With the high cost of repairs, it's all about staying within the Warranty these days.

2003 CTS Running changes: 1) Digital clock added to DIC, 2) Temp gauge replaced analog clock in dash, 3) Black Dashboard, 4) White backlit replaced orange backlit gauges (does that match the DIC & A/C display? I prefer they all be one color. Orange was fine by me, but would have preferred blue)

The V6 engine size is still the same at 3.2L. The CR reviewer was mis-informed.

Re the Long Term Report: MT and others will NEVER admit they screwed up when they panned the CTS versus the BMWs and Japanese makes. It just shows their anti-American design bias. The Car Of The Year should have been the 2003 CTS. It is a milestone in American car design and they know it. I just wish they we're big enough to admit it. But then again, they chose the '61 Rambler as the car of the year in 1961! My choice would have been: the 1961 Impala 409 "Bubble Top" 2-door Hardtop. Which one is worth more today? Duh!

Recommendations: Get one of the Luxury models. Mine is the Luxury Sport and I'm REALLY glad I bought it. It has some creature comfort items for the passenger side, that will go along way with making your spouse happy. The heated seats were an option I never would have bought, but am so glad I did. My wife LOVES it. The 6 CD in-dash Bose system is fantastic. And besides those little Bose speakers on the pillars look so cool! I never thought I'd use that so much, but I do. I love my 17" polished wheels & Goodyear V rated tires. Great look and ride (Like "driving on rails" as everyone says). My CTS V6 is running better and better all the time. It likes to be revved, so don't be afraid to push it. The handing and acceleration is amazing, for such a "small" engine. I had mine briefly up to 110 mph a few weeks ago, and I could tell it had more in it. I just ran out of Freeway!

The programmable features are a book by themselves. A bit complicated, but once you set it up, and read the Manuals 20 times, it will be second nature. I love my handsfree Onstar phone. VERY COOL!

By the way, I found a good use for the Analog clock. I was calling my wife the other day and notice the digital clock was gone and replaced with the word "Phone". So I referred to the analog clock to tell her what time it was. First time I've found a use. Most of the time, it's an irritating 3 minutes different from the digital clock. If you're buying a 2003 CTS, look for the newer ones as they all have Temp Gauges.

More later..... -Jerry:>)
    I do hear comments about water getting inside of the gray plastic license bezel. I'm so glad it will be body color in 2004. Why they made it gray translucent plastic in the first place, is very weird.

I think ALL 2003 CTSs have a problem with moisture around the EDGES. That's because the design has a 3/8" flange (or lip) all the way around it. Every time I wash mine, I notice moisture there. But I have not noticed any moisture or suds INSIDE the housing, thank goodness. Same for the front headlight covers. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you see moisture around the lip of the rear license bezel, that's no biggie. No need to complain to the Dealer. BUT if you see it INSIDE the housing, contact you Dealer asap. -Jer:>)
    I tried the mode of operation as you suggested, but apparently I don't have that feature. When I push the talk button during a call, nothing happens, nor can I disconnect using the steering wheel talk button. It can however be used to initiate and answer a call, so that's cool.

OnStar has this in the owner's manual, but the disclaimer states, this may not work on all models. I think this is a feature installed on models built at a later date. Mine has a Nov build date.

After this discovery, I decided that even if I had the ability to listen to voice mail using OnStar, I probably wouldn't due to cost at $.30 per minute. I'd rather use the units on something more important, like showing off the OnStar unit :).

thebug...
    I live in an arid climate, and haven't noticed any accumulation of moisture at all, although I wash my CTS quite often. Additionally, it only rains a couple of times a year here,(next rain due in Aug, if then) so this may not be an issue to even address with the dealer, because I would have nothing to show them. Has there been a recall of any type on this?

thebug...
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    I moisture leak I have is INSIDE the bezel it can be seen on the clear reverse light lenses .....that's inside
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    No joke about deer on the roads in Ohio. Several years ago one ran in front of my aunt(who lives in the Buckeye state) and she hit it head on. The damamge nearly totalled her early 90s Bonneville it was so bad.
    Hi thebug & wwhite2-
    My point was that most of us might see a little moisture around the edges after washing, but that's normal. If it get's INSIDE the bezel (like wwhite2's problem), so you see it in the back-up light, THEN you've got a problem. I was afraid everyone would go & complain because they saw a little moisture around the lip, causing undo upset and running around. The body colored panel on the 2004 model will certainly stop most of this angst, as you won't be able to SEE the moisture around the edge. But I hope they solve the bigger problem, with a better seal. -Jer:>)
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Posts: 63
    Bezel Moisture: I also notice the water collecting in the tubing around the outside of the bezel with my CTS. I had a similar experience with the clear tubing around the tail lights of my 99 Olds Bravada. Although I have never experienced an internal leak with the Bravada, I was concerned because the water in the tubing began to get dirty and looked ugly (as someone else has discussed with the CTS). When we had terrible forest fires here in Colorado a little over a year ago and soot settled on everything, the inside of those tubes on the Bravada became filthy. Fortunately, I have been able to clean them by using lots of suds when I wash the car (suds ends up in the tubes) and by repeatedly flooding the top and rear areas when I rinse the car.
         I've only washed the CTS a few times, but it seems that heavy rinsing also helps clean out the tubing around the bezel. I haven't detected any internal leaks or water accumulating in the backup lights. I can't tell where the water enters the tubing or how it escapes, but I haven't spent much time investigating.

Two Clocks: I've posted some joking comments about the two clocks. However, I recently made a trip where I changed time zones a couple of times. I changed time on the clocks three times using the instructions in the owners manual. Each time, both clocks changed/sync'd correctly and continue to maintain correct time.

Owner Satisfaction: The trip discussed above was from Colorado to Indiana and return... about 2,500 miles total. We absolutely loved the way the car rode and handled. As we left our home in Colorado, my wife and I decided to count the number of other CTSs that we saw during our trip. We only saw two... and both were eastbound on I-70 in the middle of Kansas about 20 minutes apart on our return trip. (The first morning back in Colorado, I passed two in the 6 mile trip from home to work. It seems that the dealers in Denver and Colorado Springs have sold lots of them.)
         Everywhere we went on the vacation, people commented that they had seen the commercials for the CTS but hadn't actually seen one of the cars. My original hometown is a GM town where most of the families have someone who works at the GM plant and 75% of the cars seem to be Buick LaSabres. (The rest are Chevy/GMC trucks.) The local Cadillac dealer reportedly has been telling customers that he can't get a CTS (possibly not true).
         The car was a big attraction everywhere we went. When we parked it, we almost always returned to find people admiring it. We've had that same experience since the day we got the car.
          I still wouldn't trade it for anything else I've seen on the streets.
          If you meet or pass me in your CTS, you won't see me wave because my window tint is too dark. However, I'll flash the headlights to let you know that I'm as happy with mine as I suspect you are with yours.
    Cheers!