Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    thebug, my interior color is light neutral. Since my exterior is blue onyx, I hope the light interior will help keep things cool on those sunny hot days. It is hard to believe how well the CTS handles and still offers a comfortable ride. I am waiting for the rain to stop today so I can go out and play (take a drive). Happy motoring!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    My wife and I are coming up on 8 full months of ownership on our CTS with 15,100 miles(!) on the clock. It's our only car right now, so we depend on it heavily. So far, this is an easy car to recommend. The upsides so far include:

Tight as a drum chassis
    Superior handling (we have the LuxSport model)
    Decent power
    Excellent transmissions
    Great seats
    No dashboard squeaks or strange noises
    Better room that a BMW 3, Audi A4, or Lexus IS
    Decent mileage for the class (I see just under 21 MPG on average)
    Looks like nothing else on the road

Downsides are:
    Could use some more power to better compete with the class leaders (fixed in 2004)
    Dashboard and door designs will be a little stark coming from Lexus...this may take some getting used to, but general ergonomics are very good.
    Automatic headlights could come on a little faster at dusk (nitpick)
    Small glovebox

Although I'm only 38 years old, I've owned three previous Cadillacs of 70's, 80's and 90's vintages. This car is not even produced by the same company in my opinion. It's so good, I'd not hesitate in getting another one or recommending it to others.

One of the other nice things is that Cadillac finally seems to realize that they just can't create a product and allow it to lie around the marketplace for 5-7 years with no real updates. The CTS's dash cluster has already changed to gauges that light up white at night instead of orange and replaced the dash board clock with a water temp gauge. This rolling change happened before the 2003 model year ended.

The gray license plate holder of the current car will reportedly change to a body color design for 2004 (as of right now, only black or gray body colors looked good from the rear of 2003 cars). The 2004 CTS will also gain suspension improvements gained from customer feedback and experience in designing the SRX, due out at the same time. And finally, the 400-HP CTS-V is due by years end. There is a lot of upside for this car.

There are "conquest" incentives for certain buyers, but they seem to vary from region to region and some expire after certain periods of time. Check with your dealer.

I would shop around and make sure that your Cadillac dealer is up to your Lexus standards. Most Caddy dealerships care very good but there are a few out there who haven't gotten with the program. Ask lots of questions. My dealer experience was so good the deal was done in less than 5 minutes and we still trade email from the sales rep on our experience with the car. Our rep ended up buying one too.

One last word about the handling: I've written in these pages before that my pregnant wife manuevered successfully out of a potentially life threatening situation when a large shovel fell off the back of a dump truck at 60 MPH. The reaction capabilities of this car is top notch.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Thats my color! I love that blue on the CTS. I've only seen a couple of them in that color, but they are sharp. Keep us posted on how you like the car.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I recently noticed some moisture inside the clear plastic insert on the back of the trunk lid, which contains the license plate cavity. Is that what was referred to in an earlier post as the "surround"? I will attempt to have it corrected next time I have to bring the car in for maintenance, either routine or otherwise, but don't want to give up the car for what is essentially a cosmetic shortcoming.

Have been away from here for some time and just skimmed over more than 300 posts. It's good to see so much interest in the CTS. I now have over 14K and enjoy the car more every day. Two comments on the posts I noted:

I wrote this several months ago, but I went though the octane issue, too. After confirming that 87 was "sanctioned" by the manual, I used it on a 1200 mile trip, carefully monitoring MPG using 91 octane outbound and 87 driving home. The route was level and wind was not a factor. What surprised me is that I got better MPG with the 87. Someone here explained why that could be, although I have to admit it makes no sense to me. But the fact is that I consistently get better MPG with 87, and I don't observe any acceleration/performance deficit.

Regarding the two clocks issue, I'm not sure how serious the discussions were intended to be, but originally the radio did not have a digital clock feature. The Bose radio delivered with my CTS in September '02 did not have a clock (and also had a steering wheel button that activated the built-in cell phone). My radio had to be replaced and the new radio has the second clock, and the Audio Mute feature instead of the cell phone steering wheel button (both of which I prefer). The digital was added because the the analog was going to be replaced with the temp gauge, but for a few months there would be cars built with two clocks. My dealer claims they were told by Cadillac that the analog clock can't be adjusted to conform to the digital time (my analog's about three minutes slower). I have no doubt that is what Caddy told them, but I also have no doubt that it can be corrected but Cadillac doesn't want to incur the expense of correcting a sloppy mistake. I agree with many here that Cadillac is improving in quality, but I doubt MB, BMW or Lexus would let that kind of defect, which is what it is, go uncorrected. Until it can change the corporate culture bean counter mentality and realize how important the little details are to their image, Cadillac will never be in the same league as the real luxury cars. And that's from someone who likes the CTS a whole lot, and has driven deVilles and and an STS. Imagine what the Cadillac/CTS detractors are saying.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I have the same moisture problem . Have yet to bring it in . I read that the assembly will be replaced with one that will not leak . I didnt have a clock sync problem until I made a correction for daylight savings time and now have a 3 minute difference
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    I have the same problem that I talked about in an earlier post. Seems that the problem was with the original supplier of the license plate surround,( the clear plastic areas on the trunk lid) according to my service advisor. The part will not be available until early July. They will call me to schedule installation. It will take about ½ hour.
         It just doesn't look good. But since we have not had sunny days here for quite a while there is no chance for the moisture to evaporate. Just a minor cosmetic fix. I'm probably the only one that really notices it!
    I dont drive my CTS in the rain(garaged) because of that leak . When I wash it soap suds end up inside the assembly. I will see if my dealer knows about the replacement assembly and put one on order
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Golfnut5 - Congrats and welcome to the zany world of CTS lovers. Keep us posted on your experience.

TheBug - I don't suppose you took it to a dyno before the exhaust job, did ya'? Would you consider doing that post-install? I'd love to see the numbers. This mod is definitely on my to-do list. Please write us on all your experiences with the work done and the results.

Bigguyjer - Have you used the search capability on this board? It's actually very good. Just type in the models and it'll find the posts with our humble and not so humble opines. I had a chance to compare the MB 320, the Jag and the LS against the Cad on a set course that included a skid pad, acceleration strip, slalom, high and low speed cornering and emergency maneuver sections. In all sections the Cad was equal or better than the MB and came with a roomier interior. The interiors of the Jag and the LS had slightly finer appointments but their handling (nearly identical between the two) was too soft with too much body roll for my tastes.

...and yes I too have the rear license surround leak. On mine it looks not so much a leak as a small amount water getting trapped in the "gutter" between the plastic inset and the body panel. I'll see if I can get this fixed at the next oil change which will hopefully coincide with the part availability.

PS For those on the competitive track... I hope to show the Cadillac flag at a rally on June 7. My scheduled navigator was into the rally scene big time in Southern California and a former Sunbeam Alpine driver so maybe I have a snowball's chance.
    No doubt the clock thing is something that can fixed, but it's not a major problem and I'm glad Cadillac did the right thing and put a proper temp gauge in the dash. As for others not letting such a small thing go, Lexus probably wouldn't but I'd dare say you can find some little "nagging" things in an MB or a BMW. Not to get off topic here or start a debate, but I believe it was Automobile had a long term review of the MB C320 and while the car did pretty well among owners, I was shocked at a few of the owner comments on problems. One guy's C320 had been in the shop for as many days in one year as my lemon Olds Intrigue has been. And most problems with the C were things like A/C and electrical system problems. BTW, has any of the auto mags done a 1 year test of the CTS? I know Autoweek did an autofile review a couple months back but I have not seen a one year review in MT or C&D. I would be very curious to see how they would rate the car after having it a year and also how readers who own the car rate it.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Any of you recieved the coupons for the GM employee deal to give to non-family members ? The program is called "Put a GM in the driveway".

If you have one handy, is there an expiration date on them? Post if you do.

My bud got his friday, I expect mine soon!
    Will have.. maybe 1 or 2 to give away......geo
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    ya know...I was wondering.... how come Edmunds hasn't put up or done a long term test of the CTS... I loved following some of the other cars that I was lookin in to... yet I can't seem to find one for the CTS.... heck... I can't even find a full review of the CTS... only an first drive or follow up... oh well let me know if edmunds ever plans on doin a long term test of the CTS... thanx
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    golfnut5: Nice color combination, IMO a 35% slate/charcoal tint would would make a choice color blend. Enjoy the ride.

calicadi: Didn't get to test before, but after is still a possibility. They did claim that it would enhance the performance a little, but that remains to be seen. As much as I have driven it (a 5K test drive under extreme conditions), I should be able to notice a difference.

I'm taking it on a trip to San Diego (lots of mountains, curves, and typically challenging roadways) for a joy ride shortly after I pick it up. Plan to take I-15 down and loop back using a combination of state highways 78, 86, 62 and 95. Lots of twisty turnys, and the weather sould be pretty nice.

Close to 650 miles total. Going by myself, so I won't have to worry about driver on the right side (I guess, we've all had them in the car). No offense to backseat drivers, but it just makes me uncomfortable when people don't understand the need to rock-n-roll a bit.

thebug...
    IMO, it's probably because nobody likes to eat crow, and I think they know if they test it, crow will be served, because the CTS has surpassed many of their expectations, ie; sales, performance, reliabilty and likeability (if that's a word), to mention a few. An ugly duckling effect, if you will. The CTS rocks!!!

thebug...
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I know what you mean... when I first saw the car I hated it... now I love it and am worried about prices goin up befor I have a chance to buy one in August... if that happnes I believe I may just go with a G35... not so shure about that though... gtg
    Edmunds is about the last place I want to see a long term review, unless it is for laughs. Their revies have been so far off base on some other vehicles they have done. At one point, I think I have remarked that CR does better reviews. Speaking of, has CR even reviewed the CTS? I'd like to see MT, C&D, or Automobile do a 12 month long term review of the CTS. Maybe when the 04 model becomes available they will.

When I first saw pictures of the CTS back in the summer of 2001, I wasn't sure if I liked the look or not. Then in September I saw one on the road(black) and it's been love ever since. I can remember coming upon that car. I saw something ahead of me that looked out of the ordinary and as I got closer part of me thought it was a CTS but I couln't imagine seeing one since they were still months away from being on sale. Then as I came upon the car it was clear as day, a black CTS with Michigan manufacturer plates on it. I know I know, it's not like Cadillac is the only car maker to build a brand new model, but I think it is just the fact that many of us have wondered if we would ever see the day when Cadillac(or even a US company) would build a truly groundbreaking entry level luxury sedan that breaks the mold. The Lincoln LS was close, but the styling stayed too far on the conservative side. Aside from the CTS-V and the next gen STS, I'm looking forward to the 2005 Chrysler 300C.
  • JNorthstarJNorthstar Member Posts: 25
    After my 24 HR test drive I purchased a Diamond White CTS with the Lux Package, HID's, Moonroof, Bose, Auto, and Heated Seats. It is scheduled to arrive sometime between Wednesday and Friday of this week. I am turning in my 2001 STS as the lease has expired. I anxiously await its arrival.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Here is the CR review:

The CTS replaced the Cadillac Catera, a German-built sedan that tested well but never caught on. Built in the U.S., this rear-wheel drive sports sedan feels agile and taut, but it's riddled with pesky oversights such as an unlit glove box and no assist grip handle for the passenger. Power was originally provided by a 3.2-liter V6; a 3.6-liter, 225-hp V6 is now the standard engine. Acceleration is quick and the transmission is very smooth. The ride is firm, supple, and well controlled, and feels very European. The rear seat is a bit cramped. Stability control comes only with the pricey "sport" package. A CTS-V with a 400-hp V8 from the Corvette will be available in the near future.

Seems like they are factually wrong about the engine. 3.6L 225HP? I don't think so. How about 255HP!! And as far as I know, the 3.2L is still standard for 2003, right?
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    We got a lot of rain here in the Northeast this weekend and I don't think I have the condensation problem others have --there was a little water/condensation all along the very top lip of the surround (right below the center brake light plastic) but I think this is the little bit of surround the extends above its seal, so I don't think this a problem or what others are experiencing. I wonder if this got rectified at some point before my build date (Jan '03). Are those with the problem owners of relatively early production CTSs?

Got to take the CTS on its first road trip. I was very pleased. Even with the car loaded with passengers and bags, the car felt agile. For those familiar with New York, I road it on the Taconic Parkway which is a nice bending, ungulating ride with some stretches of new/good pavement and some stretches of old, choppy pavement. The CTS had a comfortable ride even on the bad stretches (these sort of stretches are a big part of why I shied away from the LuxSport's stiffer ride). After getting to our destination and unloading the car, I got to take it alone on some back, rural roads and flicked on the Sport Mode for the first time. The sport mode is a whole other experience, very fun. It's like having two cars (well, that's sort of an overstatement, but you know what I mean). The complaint: my wife never felt completely comfortable in the passenger seat --that might be partially my fault since I didn't get the power seat on the passenger side and partially the CTS's fault for lacking adjustable lumbar support (which is what she complained about the most).

Thebug, did the Onstar phone end up working with your voicemail?
  • cartesiocartesio Member Posts: 36
    "...a nice UNGULATING ride..."?

Well, we have deer on Ohio roadways, too!

Happy motoring...
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    CR says "....but it's riddled with pesky oversights such as an unlit glove box and no assist grip handle for the passenger...." Kinda sounds like "the 2nd clock" issue. Interesting that these seem to be the only kinds things "reviewers" can find to gripe about on the CTS. It's almost like they "have to" find something bad to say. 1150 miles on mine now...no issues. OnStar finally got the phone working. Took them almost a month. They gave me an extra 30 minutes free for the trouble.
    Interesting comment on the seats (or seat) being uncomfortable. They are a lot firmer than what I'm used to but, so far, I can't say I'm uncomfortable in them. Also haven't taken any long trips yet...so we'll see.
    Oops, obviously that should have been "undulating". My typo resulted in a valid, albeit rarely used, word that you caught. New York has plenty of deer, hooves and all. :-)
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    The moisture does clear up. But you know over time it will get dirty and then what? Also bugs like to make their way to the bottom and they are a bite to get out. They slip in near the top by the red brake light across the back of the trunk.

Clock, I am going to get mine fixed soon. But I know it will be off as soon as I reset it agian. You know in illinois if a vehicle problem needs to be fixed 4 times in 12000 of the first year they have to replace the car! I might be reseting that clock alot! If i don't I will have to go in 2 a year as long as I have the car to fix the problem.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Member Posts: 94
    So glad to welcome you folks to the new world of Cadillac. Isn't it a great car? Like other CTS owners have told me, I find myself taking the longer route, just to get some more driving time. Yes, we owners have some nitpicky comments, but by and large it's a very well designed car. And for a totally new design, it's amazing how well put together it is.

About the paint: I've noticed a few rock chips on my 8 month old black CTS. Regretably the primer coat is white, so the chips really show. I suspect the paint is a EPA approved water based paint, but I'm not sure. If you look very closely, or touch it with your hand, you might notice that the paint seems to "peel back" around the nick. I just use some of my black Delstar Acrylic enamel I have left over from one of my car restorations to touch it up. I use a small brush, no problem. However, I would only use the Dealer to do a major repair. Reason: Warranty. Notice in your manual that the paint is part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If the paint starts to crack or peel, you'll have no defense if you have the repair done by an Independent Shop. With the high cost of repairs, it's all about staying within the Warranty these days.

2003 CTS Running changes: 1) Digital clock added to DIC, 2) Temp gauge replaced analog clock in dash, 3) Black Dashboard, 4) White backlit replaced orange backlit gauges (does that match the DIC & A/C display? I prefer they all be one color. Orange was fine by me, but would have preferred blue)

The V6 engine size is still the same at 3.2L. The CR reviewer was mis-informed.

Re the Long Term Report: MT and others will NEVER admit they screwed up when they panned the CTS versus the BMWs and Japanese makes. It just shows their anti-American design bias. The Car Of The Year should have been the 2003 CTS. It is a milestone in American car design and they know it. I just wish they we're big enough to admit it. But then again, they chose the '61 Rambler as the car of the year in 1961! My choice would have been: the 1961 Impala 409 "Bubble Top" 2-door Hardtop. Which one is worth more today? Duh!

Recommendations: Get one of the Luxury models. Mine is the Luxury Sport and I'm REALLY glad I bought it. It has some creature comfort items for the passenger side, that will go along way with making your spouse happy. The heated seats were an option I never would have bought, but am so glad I did. My wife LOVES it. The 6 CD in-dash Bose system is fantastic. And besides those little Bose speakers on the pillars look so cool! I never thought I'd use that so much, but I do. I love my 17" polished wheels & Goodyear V rated tires. Great look and ride (Like "driving on rails" as everyone says). My CTS V6 is running better and better all the time. It likes to be revved, so don't be afraid to push it. The handing and acceleration is amazing, for such a "small" engine. I had mine briefly up to 110 mph a few weeks ago, and I could tell it had more in it. I just ran out of Freeway!

The programmable features are a book by themselves. A bit complicated, but once you set it up, and read the Manuals 20 times, it will be second nature. I love my handsfree Onstar phone. VERY COOL!

By the way, I found a good use for the Analog clock. I was calling my wife the other day and notice the digital clock was gone and replaced with the word "Phone". So I referred to the analog clock to tell her what time it was. First time I've found a use. Most of the time, it's an irritating 3 minutes different from the digital clock. If you're buying a 2003 CTS, look for the newer ones as they all have Temp Gauges.

More later..... -Jerry:>)
    I do hear comments about water getting inside of the gray plastic license bezel. I'm so glad it will be body color in 2004. Why they made it gray translucent plastic in the first place, is very weird.

I think ALL 2003 CTSs have a problem with moisture around the EDGES. That's because the design has a 3/8" flange (or lip) all the way around it. Every time I wash mine, I notice moisture there. But I have not noticed any moisture or suds INSIDE the housing, thank goodness. Same for the front headlight covers. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you see moisture around the lip of the rear license bezel, that's no biggie. No need to complain to the Dealer. BUT if you see it INSIDE the housing, contact you Dealer asap. -Jer:>)
    I tried the mode of operation as you suggested, but apparently I don't have that feature. When I push the talk button during a call, nothing happens, nor can I disconnect using the steering wheel talk button. It can however be used to initiate and answer a call, so that's cool.

OnStar has this in the owner's manual, but the disclaimer states, this may not work on all models. I think this is a feature installed on models built at a later date. Mine has a Nov build date.

After this discovery, I decided that even if I had the ability to listen to voice mail using OnStar, I probably wouldn't due to cost at $.30 per minute. I'd rather use the units on something more important, like showing off the OnStar unit :).

thebug...
    I live in an arid climate, and haven't noticed any accumulation of moisture at all, although I wash my CTS quite often. Additionally, it only rains a couple of times a year here,(next rain due in Aug, if then) so this may not be an issue to even address with the dealer, because I would have nothing to show them. Has there been a recall of any type on this?

thebug...
    I moisture leak I have is INSIDE the bezel it can be seen on the clear reverse light lenses .....that's inside
    No joke about deer on the roads in Ohio. Several years ago one ran in front of my aunt(who lives in the Buckeye state) and she hit it head on. The damamge nearly totalled her early 90s Bonneville it was so bad.
    Hi thebug & wwhite2-
    My point was that most of us might see a little moisture around the edges after washing, but that's normal. If it get's INSIDE the bezel (like wwhite2's problem), so you see it in the back-up light, THEN you've got a problem. I was afraid everyone would go & complain because they saw a little moisture around the lip, causing undo upset and running around. The body colored panel on the 2004 model will certainly stop most of this angst, as you won't be able to SEE the moisture around the edge. But I hope they solve the bigger problem, with a better seal. -Jer:>)
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Bezel Moisture: I also notice the water collecting in the tubing around the outside of the bezel with my CTS. I had a similar experience with the clear tubing around the tail lights of my 99 Olds Bravada. Although I have never experienced an internal leak with the Bravada, I was concerned because the water in the tubing began to get dirty and looked ugly (as someone else has discussed with the CTS). When we had terrible forest fires here in Colorado a little over a year ago and soot settled on everything, the inside of those tubes on the Bravada became filthy. Fortunately, I have been able to clean them by using lots of suds when I wash the car (suds ends up in the tubes) and by repeatedly flooding the top and rear areas when I rinse the car.
         I've only washed the CTS a few times, but it seems that heavy rinsing also helps clean out the tubing around the bezel. I haven't detected any internal leaks or water accumulating in the backup lights. I can't tell where the water enters the tubing or how it escapes, but I haven't spent much time investigating.

Two Clocks: I've posted some joking comments about the two clocks. However, I recently made a trip where I changed time zones a couple of times. I changed time on the clocks three times using the instructions in the owners manual. Each time, both clocks changed/sync'd correctly and continue to maintain correct time.

Owner Satisfaction: The trip discussed above was from Colorado to Indiana and return... about 2,500 miles total. We absolutely loved the way the car rode and handled. As we left our home in Colorado, my wife and I decided to count the number of other CTSs that we saw during our trip. We only saw two... and both were eastbound on I-70 in the middle of Kansas about 20 minutes apart on our return trip. (The first morning back in Colorado, I passed two in the 6 mile trip from home to work. It seems that the dealers in Denver and Colorado Springs have sold lots of them.)
         Everywhere we went on the vacation, people commented that they had seen the commercials for the CTS but hadn't actually seen one of the cars. My original hometown is a GM town where most of the families have someone who works at the GM plant and 75% of the cars seem to be Buick LaSabres. (The rest are Chevy/GMC trucks.) The local Cadillac dealer reportedly has been telling customers that he can't get a CTS (possibly not true).
         The car was a big attraction everywhere we went. When we parked it, we almost always returned to find people admiring it. We've had that same experience since the day we got the car.
          I still wouldn't trade it for anything else I've seen on the streets.
          If you meet or pass me in your CTS, you won't see me wave because my window tint is too dark. However, I'll flash the headlights to let you know that I'm as happy with mine as I suspect you are with yours.
    Cheers!
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    "My original hometown is a GM town ... and 75% of the cars seem to be Buick LaSabres."

Oh Lord, that's scary. I absolutely cannot imagine that. Maybe time for a movie sequel - "The Stepford Cars"?

People move to town driving perfectly normal Hondas and BMWs, then they use the sweetener at the local Starbucks and the next thing you know they're doing 45mph in the fast lane in their LeSabre.
    for my car's scheduled maintenance (15K miles). I like a dealership that refuses to change my interior air filter (and charge me $90) because they said it wasn't dirty enough to change.

While I was waiting, I spotted one of the recent CTS builds (5/03) on the showroom floor. This one had the ebony colored dash and the new gauge cluster. For all of us older CTS owners, it's a little strange to see a water temp gauge there versus the much derided analog clock. The font of the speedo and tach is lighter than the older cars...probably so not to roast your eyes with a white backlight instead of the previous orange backlight. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with the old backlight since it matched the radio and HVAC, but somebody at GM thought that it should be changed. Maybe it does look better at night, but I haven't seen it lit up, so I can't tell.

A sidenote: my dealership in Nashville (Andrews Cadillac) sometimes gets some unusual cars in for service, usually belonging to the owner's family or a friend of theirs. There has been a early 70's Jaguar V12 E-type parked in the maintenance garage for some time.

But the real stunner was 1997 Lamborghini Diablo that someone brought in. Apparently the owner had a fire in his garage and in the haste of getting this car out (and a Ferrari), he managed to scratch the paint on the left side panel just behind the scissor doors. Normally, there's another auto mechanics shop that deals with Nashville's few exotic car owners, but they don't have a body shop and apparently State Farm send this kind of work to Andrews. They don't see a lot of these customers, but it was a blast to see such a car up close with the engine bay exposed.

While the car was there, the presiding mechanic (also from the other shop) needed to change the battery (it is a 6 year old car). Have you ever thought of where you stick a car battery in a superexotic? At least with this car, you have to:

1. Jack up the car.

2. Remove the left rear tire.

3. Remove a large metal plate between the front of the wheel well and the passenger cabin.

4. Find the battery behind the panel, and replace it with a fresh one.

5. Reverse the previous steps.

No wonder these things are so expensive to maintain. And I thought my friends who have Porsche Boxsters had it bad when it came to oil changes!
  • bigeandkennabigeandkenna Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, hows this car in the snow? I think thats the only thing that would stop me from getting the CTS.
    Any car is good if you put a snow tire in each corner for the winter.
    I think you answered your own question. If the electrical system works well enough and your parts sourcing is careful enough that you only need to change the battery every six years, then pulling the wheel to get to it isn't that much trouble.

(Now, Lamborghini being who they are, perhaps theconditions I've listed above are tough to swallow, but let's pretend that they DO have reliable electrical systems and DO buy quality batteries...)

If one looks at, say, the 3.2 engine in the CTS, it's most likely going to need a cam belt change sooner than that Lambo would need a battery, and I'd say there's a good bit more work involved in that.

Of course, I'm sure you can count the number of Diablos in the US with 60K miles on them on one hand.
    Six years, I wish. Here in the desert southwest, you may find that the battery gets changed q 2.5 to 3 years (if you're lucky), and that's regardless of quailty. Since moving here, I've learned to only buy the average battery, and just change them q two years to be on the safe side.

The heat is murder on a battery. And we're talking about 10 months of summer. It's May 28th, and officially summer is three weeks away, and the temperature is already 110 degrees (if you ask the weather guy). The true temp is probably about 115 to 117 today.

thebug...
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    Everyone look to the lover part of the clear plastic and you may see things in there. I have dug out 3 small bugs with a insurance card. They get behind the bottom edge of the plastic and the metal. Their isn't enough gap for the bug to get out. I know in time dirt will acumulate. If you cannot touch it there is no way it will continue to stay clean. I cannot believe you guys are not really bugged about that.

On another note I have a 94 c1500 extended cab pickup that is in A+++++ condition. The other day a dumb sob dropped his mower deck and shot rocks across the road. I have 10 rock chips. What makes this story even worse is that when I stopped to look things over and then talk to the guy he denied it all. In fact he told me to leave or else. I called the cops and they couldn't help. I called him on another day and he hung up. No here is the topper the sob works at the chev, cadillac dealership! Mechanic! I have real confidence in their work- Ha. I will give the dealership name to anyone interested.
    One thing about battery life - they tend to last longer in cars like BMWs, Lincoln LSes, even old Bugs where the battery is inside the car, not in the engine compartment and exposed to engine/exhaust heat.

OTOH, I had a Saab 900T that had the battery basically 1/2" from the turbocharger exhaust outlet elbow; the heat-shielding wasn't bad but still couldn't keep the battery alive for more than 18 months.
    Not here. It's just a phenomenon of the desert. I believe the ambient temperature is the culprit. Cars tend to bake (daily) here. This applies to ALL cars based in this area regardless of who manufactured it. And, it's not just the batteries.

We find (by trial and error, mostly error) that lots of fair wear and tear auto parts require replacement more frequently. The most probably being the wiper blades (at least twice a year), and hundreds usually get caught on the wrong side of the rain curve.

It's usually an August sideshow, watching all those who forgot changing their wiper blades in various auto part store parking lots while it's raining. I feel overall, good car maintenance is a must anywhere. Because of my line of work (I drive about 3k miles/mo), I tend to make repairs, or try to (routinely) long before they're due. These cost are covered by the oranization, so why not.

thebug...
    Hi all- TheBug is right. The desert heat does cause premature failures. Here in L.A. even, I seldom get more than 4 years out of my top of the line Delco or DieHard batteries. I must say that the CTS battery position is a good one. Easy to get at AND it's completely encased in a thermal box w/lid. Very nice!
    Yes, as I mentioned before, I do notice water in the 3/8" lip that runs around the Bezel edge. So far, not much dirt yet, but I do wash my CTS every weekend. When I first got my CTS there was debris in-between the spoiler/High Center Stop Light and the trunk lid. I washed it out with a stream of water and followed up with a blast from my 100 psi air nozzle. I'm keeping an eye on that area everytime I wash. Water does collect there, and streams out when the rear trunklid is opened. Drying the car is a fun task!

BTW, the High Center Stop Light is a NEON. I like that! No more burnt out individual LEDs. Way to go Cadillac! -Jer:>)
    I doubt seriously this was the Lambo's first battery change. The battery the service tech removed was an Interstate brand battery...and I doubt they're available in Italy. The new battery was again, an Interstate.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    The moisture that I have is inside the bezel, the clear part (started there at first) but now after many days of showers and rain it can be seen in other red areas. It is the same as in post # 3142 by wwhite2.
         Just had my tires rotated on the CTS at my FORD dealer.
         I was at the Ford dealer for my truck when the service advisor noticed that my inspection was due in June. I said go ahead and inspect the truck. My wife stopped over in the CTS to get something from the truck and I said they were going to do a truck inspection.
         The service advisor said that they had time and could do an inspection on the CTS if I wanted because the CTS sticker, he noticed, is also due in June. Since the tech removed two opposite wheels to check the brakes, etc. he asked if I wanted the tires rotated also on the CTS and I did. The advisor charged for the state inspection on the CTS and only for half of the price of the tire rotation since it was combined with an inspection. GREAT!!!!
         Funny thing is that I was just over at the Cadillac dealer for the bezel part inspection and the advisor passed right by the sticker and he had even asked how long I had the car.That's where I bought it.
         Now who's out for service??
    Just went over to the dealer to pick up my CTS since they said yesterday that it would be ready at 5PM today, and it's not back yet. This is aggravating. At first (when researching the cost), they said it should take about three days tops. When I dropped it off for the work, they changed it to seven days.

It has now been eight days, and it still isn't ready. I wished they would just tell the truth. If it's going to take two weeks (or whatever), then by God just say it's going to take two weeks, so a person can plan accordingly. I can live with that. I just hope they don't mess up my San Diego run this weekend. It's a perfect weather situation. Just venting a bit folks.

thebug...
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I posted this link several months ago and thought I would do it again for some of the newbies.

The CTS has 2.95 stars which is not so great, but that is better than the Catera's 2.13 stars.

Plus, you gotta figure that people are more likely to post if they are dissatisfied.

http://www.carreview.com/Luxury+Cars/Cadillac+CTS/PRD_132864_1529- crx.aspx
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Many of us have talked about various CTS colors being their favorite and which color's they feel it looks best in.

I have to say that Cashmere has really grown on me. I have been vacilating(sp?) between blue and black but the cashmere looks really good at dusk and has a very European flavor to it.

It also tends to show of the creases in the car and probably has the most metallic in of all the colors.

Lets give some props to Cashmere!
    You can check out the colors available here:
    http://cadcts.com/ I still prefer black, because so much of the CTS trim is dark gray or black. Plus the car looks very "Stealthy" in black. But any CTS, in any color, is fine with me! Go CTS! -Jer:>)
    Hi TheBug- Here's the little known secret that the Dealer and most Repair Shops won't tell you. Always DOUBLE the Number, and change the time INCREMENT up one level. Samples: "One Hour" means "Two Days". "Two Days" means "Four Weeks". "Three Weeks" means "Six Months". Now you know what they REALLY mean when they give you those nice sounding delivery estimates.
    ctsjerry you missed mentioning how they will break or scratch something while making the repairs
    To add to what b4z posted:
    http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2003_Cadillac_CTS/display_~revi- ews
    There the rating average is 4 out of 5 stars.