Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    You know dealers should held to the same standards as building contractors when they take on a government contract. They begin to lose money for each day a project continues beyond the promised completion date.

Lets say we get 2% off the total cost for each hour, and 10% off for each day. That would provide incentive to either tell the truth, or finish the job on time.

I do understand that these time frames are only an estimate (or swag), but they have a pretty solid idea how long a job should take, as labor cost are predetermined (in terms of how long) in most cases.

thebug...
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Seems that the dealers have finally figured out that the most popular CTS's are in the 35K and under range.
    Add the sunroof and they are in the 36K-37K range.
    My dealer has no cars over 37K.

I did notice on one that I saw yesterday that the base price was $30,000, while some of the other cars on his lot were $29,900.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    I thought that silver green was going to be a 2004 color but a dealer near me has one on the lot. I haven't seen it in person yet but it comes up when I search on line inventory. Has anyone seen it yet and if so, does it look good?

Also,does anyone know if any of the 04 colors are being introduced early?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Saw a silver green at the dealer last night. It looked pretty good but it was getting dark, I would like to see it in daylight.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    My dealer once told me that half of their CTS sales are for people wanting the base model and not wanting to spend more than $32K. That surprised me since I thought that the sweet spot for buyers would be the Lux model, which I think has the best price/performance of the three major options choices.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    The problem with the options is that they are completely overpriced. $2300 for the Luxury Package and the only thing I'd even want in there is the power passenger seat. And I really don't need that. What irks me, from what I have seen, is to get the $1275 Bose system I have to spend $2300 on the Luxury package that is worthless. So I go from $30.7 (latest price jump) to $34.3 just to get the radio I want. I mean the memory seat is cool too, I have that in my van, but I'll be driving this car 95% of the time. I could care less about the alarm, garage door opener, compass and digital recorder. To pay $2K+ for that package is steep. I guess I could get the nav system for $2700 and that's cheaper, but I could care less about the nav system, I just want a great stereo system!!!
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Doesn't the nav option require the lux pkg too? Cadillac is being very clever with the CTS pricing. It looks good to say $30,000 or so, but when you look at a nicely equipped one, the price is more like $35-40 thousand. My Seville cost me about $40,000. (with lux pkg, moonroof, bose ...)
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    I don't think Cadillac is being clever; they're being foolish, and perhaps driving some people away from the car by combining options this way. There was no way I was going to buy the Lux package for what they were charging. I would have bought the Sport package stand-alone, but not if I had to buy the Lux package to get it. So I bought the base. I really, really can't stand allthe wood that comes along with the Lux. I think it looks horrible.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    You're right, my mistake The nav option does require the lux package. I'm not in the market for awhile but was doing some research and the way the options are structured is killing me. We'll see how smart Cadillac is if people don't buy the add-ons.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    exactly my point.
  • JNorthstarJNorthstar Member Posts: 25
    Just got a call and my Diamond White CTS is in. Price wise, my 01 STS came in at $54,000, so my CTS at $38,000 is a nice change.

Will report back after I pick it up. The 24HR test drive I took last weekend convinced me to purchase the CTS.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    Necros, I came to the same conclusion: there just would be too many items that I was indifferent about or disliked that I'd have to pay for with the packages. If items were offered a la carte style, GM would have extracted more money from me. But I don't know what kind of cost increases or lost revenues (some people I'm sure bite the bullet and pay for a package who would've spent less if a la carte optioning was offered) result from giving greater option flexibility, so I'm not sure if GM's decision is financially foolish. Re: the wood, I agree. I'm repeating myself now, I'm sure, but why would I want wood on my steering wheel? Going from one texture to two, with the second one being hard to boot, doesn't make sense to me (but a lot of manufacturers do it, so my opinion certainly doesn't appear to be the predominant one). When faced with a surface/handle that one has to grip for extended periods of time, does anyone say to themselves, "Boy, I sure hope it's made of hard wood rather than padded leather."? Sorry about the rant, it's a silly pet peeve of mine.
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    The 'options issue' is one of my only major gripes about the car. I ended up with a base model (w/automatic) CTS because I didn't want to have to pay for the stupid options in order to get the good stuff.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that they deleted options that should be included in a car of this class in order to force the consumer into buying up into a higher price point. I mean, shouldn't ALL the CTS configurations have a compass, homelink transmitter, power passenger seat, memory mirrors/seat, multi disc CD player, etc? -And why do you have to buy the lux package in order to get a sunroof, heated seats, upgrade stereo, etc.

It's as if they designed the ugly adjustment bar on the passenger seat that takes up 3 inches of leg room for the sole purpose of punishing those that didn't buy the luxury package.

My wife's PT Cruiser cost about $13k less than the CTS but it has a 'friggin compass!

Lastly, my other big gripe is the size of the wheels. 16" or even 17" wheels are too small for the CTS in my opinion and the stock wheels are far from deluxe. I would have been more tempted to get the lux performance package if it would have come w/ 18" wheels and like others, I'd just as well not have the wood trim.

The CTS is a great car and I've been surprised by the quality, fit, and finish. It could be even better though if GM would do a little bit more by adding some basic features to the base package.
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Some posts mentioned that the bezel will be body-colored on the '04 models...Is that for sure? I read that it would be on the '05 CTS-V and figured that would be when they'd make the switch for the base CTS as well. But I HOPE it's 04 since that's what I'd be leasing. Does anyone have confirmation on this?

I am worried about the softening of the suspension in '04 models, though. (I had a first-year Intrigue and it handled great, but then they softened it on subsequent models and it just wasn't as good...Don't want to see that happen to CTS!)
    Just went to clubcts.com and it looks like it is closed down again. Itr was down for 4 months then back up, then down again.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Will nav be available since the DIC in the CTS-V will have 2 screens ????
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    Pacific NW here...where, yes, it does rain WAAAAY more than it really needs to. Anyway, last car was dark navy blue. Looked great all spiffied up in the sun. But during the 10.5 months of rain (more or less), a wash job, then 2 blocks down the street and it looked like you'd never washed it to begin with. Seems that the best color for this type of area (opinion only) is silver. (Hides the dirt a little better...as long as you're washing the car often.) So, that's what we got.
    Got the CTS back this afternoon, on time (with third completion promise), and it looks really nice. Gonna take some getting used to the aggressive sound (not very loud, but different) though. The more I drove it today the less I noticed it. It's interesting how the total price changed.

When I dropped it off they gave me a quote of, $1,250 (but not in writing), that's including an oil change. At pick up time, the service rep didn't say anything about cost, he simply said see the cashier to pick up your car.

To my surprise, the price had dropped about $110. I think this was because of the two missed delivery times. After looking the car over for a while, I did go back in to thank him for the deal.

His facial expression assured me that the price change was compensation for the lost time, and two missed delivery dates, and this was without prompting. IMO, that's good customer service.

Taking off for my joy ride to San Diego tonight, wheels up at 2AM :).

thebug...
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I recall seeing an '04 pricing and model list from a GM/Cadillac site that was linked to a post on this forum and it indicated that all non-base '04 CTS models would require a sunroof. That's not only a feature I never use, don't like because of the reduction in headroom, and don't have on my '03 LuxSport, but it adds at least $1,000 to the MSRP.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    You said "but I doubt MB, BMW or Lexus would let that kind of defect, which is what it is, go uncorrected".

Actually, Lexus ES300 has had a much much bigger problem involving its new 5-speed transmission for the last 18 months, and has yet to fix it.

Lexus is not the almighly quality king that it promotes itself to be these days.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Coming from an STS, I will be curious to hear how you like the CTS after 24 hours. I know the CTS is a tighter overall package, but there is something about the sound and power of a Northstar that is addictive:) And the STS is clearly higher on the luxury food chain(and priced so). While I love the CTS, if I could find a low mileage 2-3 year old STS at a good price, I could be tempted. Can't wait to see the next generation STS. On a side note, has anyone seen pics of the new BMW 5 series? Last week's Autoweek had a short review of it and while it appears to be a great driving sedan, it is ugly(IMO) inside and out. Funny how the current 5 series which is in it's 7th year now still looks great, especially when compared to the new 5.
    I agree somewhat with you guys about the lumping of features into packages, but this seems to be common practice these days. Ideally, a CTS with the luxury package and heated seats would be what I would want. However, I may have to settle for a base model due to pricing constraints. Oh well, the base model has pretty much everything I want. One caveat though(and Cadillac I hope your listening), I don't understand why one has to get the navigation system(which also requires the lxury package) to get XM radio. I really would like to get XM on my 04 CTS but I don't want to(and will not) spend the $2500 or so for the navigation system which I will seldomly use. Come on Cadillac, a Chevy Cavalier can have XM added for about $300.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Go over to maint. and repair threads. Seems those
    quality Lexi have a few transmission bugs too....
    LOL..........geo
    they probably do it to make it easier on everyone . Maybe it streamlines the assembly process and I think it makes it easier for the consumer so you dont have to agonize over every option . I am sure an a la carte menu of options would jack up the overall price .a fully optioned auto may not hold it's value beater compared to a base model but it sure will sell quicker .
    Are you going to the plowsite cookout this year ?
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Been to all of them........Awesome time...Good to meet all the folks. Even if the weather stunk last year! Gonna head up to the SIMA show in Buffalo next week with a few of the NY guys I know. I always bring travel brochures for the 1000 Islands NY as we advertise our motel we own up there.
    The girls at Taconic Maint. shop put them and my business cards in each goodie bag they hand out!

I buy a load of Magic Salt too. Stuff works great!
    We always stay in the motel up the street. There is a Pizza UNo, 24 hr conv. store, Ital. rest. right across the street. NO driving......
    Its a good thing our wimmen don't wanna go....So we have fun! Some of the guys bring their kids too! Have U been to one yet?

Hey got some mailings from Caddy about that SRX suv that is coming this summer. Is it a worked over Trailblazer? My girl LOVES that full glass roof...Brochure sez V-6 or the 4.6 Northstar !
    Maybe instead of a CTS-V....Hmmmmmmmm.....geo
    The upcoming SRX has more in common with the CTS than the Trailblazer/Envoy SUVs. It is more in the vein of the BMW X5, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX330 than the Trailblazer, Explorer, or 4Runner.
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    >they probably do it to make it easier on everyone
    >Maybe it streamlines the assembly process and I
    >think it makes it easier for the consumer so you
    >dont have to agonize over every option . I am
    >sure an a la carte menu of options would jack up
    >the overall price

I think you miss the point entirely...they do it to screw the consumer. If they really wanted to streamline the assembly process they would include more standard features and offer fewer options.

Like you said, it probably costs more money for them to delete some of the options on the base model than it would if they were included on all cars as standard. I mean really, how much money WOULD it cost them to include a compass and garage door opener in this electronics age?...how much would it really cost GM to add a 4 disc changer as standard? I would rather have them add $500 to the base price and make it a 'complete' car.

Instead they include options that should be standard like a compass, homelink transmitter, power passenger seat, heated seats, memory mirror/seat position, fold down rear seats, etc with the Luxury Sport package in order to force the consumer into spending more $$ to get the BASIC options they desire.
    This is an old marketing strategy that many (not just auto makers) use it to launch a new product in a highly competitive market. It's based on attraction and promotion. The hook is ($29,350 as it was) the low base price. That price targets a great portion of the under 50 market segment. I think they just want to get the auto out there to be seen, and if you take a few options, cool, if not, that's okay too.

I think most would agree that the base model is fairly nice (for the price) as it is, and many would settle for that. I'm sure the marketing strategist (being who they are) planned ahead for this. The options are there if you want to pump it up a notch.

In my thinking, if they were to add the most common options into the base model, the price itself would eliminate a large portion of the market segment they are seeking, and many would have never taken a second look at the product. A lot of us would said "I can't afford that" and moved on to another model. That's how the hook works.

When looking at the CTS, my taughts were, don't let the $29,350 fool you into thinking you can get this for cheap. One has to know, you can have it loaded, but it won't be cheap, or you can have it cheap, but it won't be loaded.

It would be interesting to find out how many people purchased a base model BMW, MB or Lexis. As we know, many of these options are standard on the said competitors, and you have to get whether you want them or not, and it also cost more.

thebug...
  • crazylegs52crazylegs52 Member Posts: 2
    I had heard Cadillac is increasing the output of the 2004 CTS to 255 from the stock 220. Does anyone know if this is true? If so I will definitely hold out for the new version.

crazylegs
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    If you are looking for a car with an automatic transmission the answer is yes, it is a new engine and it will cost more.

If you are looking for a car with a manual transmission the answer is no, the engine will be the same as the '03 engine.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Just got back to L.A. yesterday from Lake Tahoe. Five hundred miles in about seven hours, including food and fuel stops, and I was still feeling ready to go another hundred or two. What a great car for the road. The road from Tahoe to Sacramento (Rt 50) is a good two lane road with numerous passing lanes. It drops from about 7,000 Ft to about 4,000 ft with hardly a straight portion. The LuxSport road like it was on rails. My wife, who is quick to complain when I take a curve hard enough to rock her in her seat said nairy a word even though I took all curves at at least 10 mph over the speed limit.

The rest of the trip was over the I5 south to L.A. without incident. It amaze's me how many idiots tailgate at 80 mph for no reason on an open highway. The average driver seems to have no idea of the physics of driving. They sit one to two car lengths behind the car in front for miles on end with no concept of what it would take to stop if the person in front had a blowout or hit the brakes hard to avoid an animal. This is also part of the cause for 100 car pile ups in foggy weather. And then I have to pay the premium on my insurance bill, oh well.
    The main difference I feel with the CTS vs the STS is the CTS feels more athletic. The STS has a very refined Northstar V8, that as you noted makes some very good hp/torque and sounds very good at full throttle. The CTS engine sounds very good, one reviewer likened the sound to a V-12. I have not had the opportunity to operate it at full throttle, breaking it in you know, but the one I had for the 24 HR test drive, was awesome, accelerating to red line then shifting, and downshifting as needed.

The CTS feels more athletic to me, for the following reasons: its lighter, rear wheel drive more balanced (feels like it is riding on rails), the Sigma platform is bank vault solid, the 5 speed automatic always finds the right gear, and in sport mode is very aggressive.

They definitely are two different cars. The STS is higher up the food chain, but the CTS is very satisfying. The engine puts out less hp/torque than the STS, but the overall power is more than adequate for my use. The quality of the leather is first rate, the interior materials are of good quality. The paint (Diamond White) looks first rate without obvious amounts of orange peel. It doesn't have some items the STS had, electronic tilt/telescopic steering wheel, performance algorithim shifting, rain sensing wipers, and the model I have does not have Stabilitrak. Overall I love this car. It puts a grin on my face to go out and drive, and find reasons to drive. Also, for better or worse (I love the styling), there is nothing out there right now that looks anything like it.

I will have to take some road trips to report on how it differs. The STS is an awesome road car, smooth, responsive and always ready. I also had a 94 Eldorado Touring Coupe. The Northstar in the 01 STS was more refined and smoother than the 94. The chassis for the 98 and up Seville was more refined as well.

Finding a low mileage STS a few years old would be great. Mine was silver with the 17 inch wheels and HID's. At lease end it only had 10,000 miles. I have two other cars that I split the mileage between so I did not accumulate alot of miles.

Next stop XLR.
    John.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to talk my sister into looking at a new CTS. She is a doctor in Denver who has primarily driven imports (she's driving a '91 Acura Legend L - yes, it's 12 years old - and she's got 130k+ miles on it. She's also got a '95 Suburban which she loves (uses it to take the family up to the mountains - the car is just mainly her commuter car), but otherwise tends to go foreign (husband is a Ford fan).

She likes to drive a stick. I'm trying to get her to look at a CTS, probably base (probably would be hard to find a Lux stick). My mother-in-law is a (recent) GM retiree, so I have the "GM in the Driveway" coupon (can give to anyone, not just family, and get GMS price +4% - good through end of June). Also have lots of GM Card dollars I can send her way (before they get devalued on 8/1) . If anyone has any suggestions on good dealers in Denver, things for her to consider going from the Legend to the CTS, or any news on any incentives (CTS has not been on any deals of late) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

--Robert
    My CTS has a build date of May 03. It has the white backlit gauges, the DIC remains orange, and the temperature gage in place of the clock.

P.S. "The Bug" how was the trip to San Diego and the performance of that new dual exhaust?

John.
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Congrats on your new CTS!!!!!!
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    This is going back to an old discussion... I finally had an opportunity to test my OnStar phone to see if I could use it to send tones during a call (as my OnStar manual says is possible although the last time I checked, the My OnStar website would lead you to believe it is not) and it worked. I was able to call my wife's pager and after the call connected I muted the call by pressing the talking head button on the steering wheel, told OnStar four digits, "pound" (I page my wife by sending the final four digits of my number which she recognizes and the # tells my wife's pager that I'm done) and "dial", whereby OnStar unmuted the call and sent the tones. Thebug, I think you said that you didn't have any success with this; I wonder if there is an older version of Personal Calling in the earlier CTS's that doesn't support it.
    Congrats on your purchase of the white diamond. The trip to San Diego, in a word, "AWESOME". Total 710 miles (highway) and about 75 miles (city) on about 1.75 tanks of gas. Average high mileage (per DIC) was 29.6 MPG, didn't clock the city mileage (way too busy).

Noted a marked improvement in overall mileage in comparison to my East Coast trip of about 2.5 MPG, and this trip was all hilly/mountainous terrain. Additionally on the trip down, I had three large adults with carry-ons.

Despite all this, I was able to maintain speeds of 85-90 through the mountains. Never once did I feel as though the engine was at a compromise. As far as I could tell, the lower gears only engaged during engine braking on sharp grades.

The trip back, I ran empty (just me) through the twisty turnys, and that was a rush, a total rush. When you're by yourself, (which WAS the plan) you can really stretch it out (triple digits and all). I become more impressed with this car on each run. The CTS just seems to get better with time. What a car.

And the dual pipes, the dual pipes purred. At first I thought I wasn't going to like the sound, but after this trip, I'm hooked. IMO, it was worth the change. In my case (doesn't happen often), money well spent. Next run will be to Northern California in about two weeks. I'll keep this run a secret.

thebug...
    If she's going to buy a Cadillac in Denver, Rickenbaugh is really, really, the only place to go. They are incredible. They ordered my CTS for me, and were extremely attentive. I paid cash, so I'm not sure how financing would go, but I was in and out of the F&I room in under five minutes. I've never had that happen before. Also, they don't charge dealer handling, and they usually carry a wide selection of CTSes. I shopped around at every other metro-area dealer, and Rickenbaugh was, by far, the best.
  • tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    You probably know this already, but you could buy the base CTS and have XM put in at Best Buy or someplace like that.

In my lowly Neon (don't ask), there was a deal when I bought the XM ready stereo--I got installation of the XM stuff free. The receiver and antanna only cost about $150. I put a pretty nice Pioneer deck w/ XM controls in the car for about $200. I thought it was a good deal. Just a thought.
    I have an aftermarket XM unit in my Intrigue(purchased it in 11/01) and while the sound quality with the RF modulator is pretty good, I would like a fully integrated unit. The Intrigue has a small cubby at the base of the dash ahead of the console so the XM unit fits neatly in there and it pretty much out of sight. The CTS doesn't have such a spot and thus the XM unit would need to be mounted on the console. Not a big thing, but if a Chevy Cavalier can have XM integrated with the radio without having to spend a fortune, the CTS should as well.

hammen2, if she goes from a 91 Legend to a CTS she'll be experiencing a totally new driving experience. The second generation Legends weren't bad cars, but we're talking 1991 technology versus 2001. And also RWD v FWD. Good luck trying to get her to break the "import only" mold although if she's been satisfied with the Suburban then she should be delighted by the CTS's quality.
    Thanks for the link. Yep, I think I'll just hang on to my Intrigue for a bit longer and spring for an 04 CTS. I could be wrong, but that new engine looks to be a gem. Heck, it might even make me forget the wonderful 3.5 liter DOHC V6 in my Intrigue(arguably the Intrigue's best feature).
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    The '91 Legend was a great car for its day, and like most Hondas, they don't break. Getting her to go GM will be a tough sell for her.

Personally, I think she needs to get a few choices. I'd have her test drive an Acura TL Type-S manual, a Cadillac CTS manual, a Infiniti G35 manual, and maybe another car of her choice. It will be difficult since most dealerships don't carry manual gearbox cars, but look around your area. The Acura TL will be a strong car with a very familiar face to her. Then contrast that look and feel with the G35 and CTS and see what she likes.

In the end, it's her call. The CTS is attractive due to the GM deal that you have, but the TL is inexpensive too begin with. Ultimately, she'll decide what's comfortable for her. I own a CTS and am very happy, but I know it's not for everyone.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Is due for replacement by the end of the year I think
    New TL
    Worst case scenario, if no one has MTs to drive, she can drive mine. Plus it's already broken in, so she could beat on it a little. :)
  • tvdirectvdirec Member Posts: 22
    I must say I'm glad someone other than me likes the Cashmere color. I liked it a year ago and went with it when I bought my CTS last November. You don't see many of them around although here in Connecticut I have seen one other. Can anyone recommend a GOOD car wax. Mine is due and I'd like to have that baby shining...especially on a sunny day like today.
  • biglevbiglev Member Posts: 8
    I know the '04s start into production on the 5th but when will they be able to purchase from the dealer. I don't know if I am going to purchase the CTS until August and I was wondering if you think there will be along wait for one by then. I know a want a Sable Black CTS with everything minus the DVD navigation.
  • biglevbiglev Member Posts: 8
    To follow up on my last post, how much do you think the CTS with everything minus the DVD navigation will cost. Thanks.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    I strongly second the recommendation of Rickenbaugh Cadillac for those who live in Denver. I live in Colorado Springs and wanted to buy my CTS from my local dealer, Red Noland Cadillac. Noland didn't have the exact model with options that I wanted, but found one at Rickenbaugh. After a quick phone call, my wife and I were on a short drive to Denver to visit Rickenbaugh.

They must have had 8 or 10 CTSs inside their show room. They knew that we intended to buy from Red Noland, but treated us with great courtesy and patiently answered all of our questions. We found a sable black/ebony Lux Sport with every option that we wanted. We probably spent an hour in the show room looking at all the CTSs and that helped us become more certain of what we really wanted.

Noland traded another CTS to Rickenbaugh for the one the I wanted and everyone was happy... especially me. I'm a strong believer in buying from a local dealer when I can. Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but I still expect my local dealer to respond to my needs (and I want the closest drop off point when I need service). I'd recommend Rickenbaugh and Red Noland Cadillac dealerships with equal confidence in their desire and efforts to satisfy customer expectations.