Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• thebugthebug Posts: 294
    I'm not sure if they still do it, but when I lived in Europe, they had Euro-spec and American-spec cars. Those not targeted for shipment to the U.S. were produced without all the safety features required by law in the U.S., and therfore cost much, much less.

You would think, that because they had no speed limit, they would require the safety features more so than we would, but that's not the case. They didn't have Ralph, or Ralph likes, so they didn't have to deal with it. It would be interesting to see if they've changed.

Many GI's would buy them (for use in Germany only) and sell before they returned stateside. The market for Euro-spec autos between GI's was pretty big when I was there.

Having an American-spec car would increase the price anywhere from 10-12K, not including the VAT (@14% in the early 90's) or value added tax. The good thing is, GI's could weave the VAT, and the cost of shipping was usaually covered by the dealer. If not, the average cost of shipping was $750 to any U.S. port.

thebug...
  • necrosnecros Posts: 127
    The issue with the DIC is not the only thorny issue with replacing the stereo. If you want to be bored to tears, ask me about my conversations with Cadillac engineers about replacing the radio.

Bottom line: No way, no how unless you want to put your DIC in the trunk.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    that probably explains how they expect to charge a bundle for the lux package and require you to buy it to get the other options.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    I went to my local dealor today and was informed of some very sadining news.... he had sold out of 03 CTS and was only getting 4 more in tommorrow, from there on out there shipmints would online come as 04 models, the first of which will be the base 3.6, he also elluded to the point that they could no longer order CTS with heated seats... he said that this normally means to the dealors that the manurfacture has made it standard... He said he'd call when the new ones come in or at least call with the pricing... he'd let me know... BTW I drove a MB 230 4door sedan today... it was ok but I went next door and drove a G35 and a CTS and preferred both of those cars over the MB, plus they came with everything I'd already wanted for about 2800 bucks less... well at least I hope... I'll keep you posted as to what happens with my car situation
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    Yes, US-spec BMWs (and Mercedes, and etc.) are very different from those sold in the rest of the world. The US-mandated equipment is different, but not necessarily better.

For instance, US airbags were more powerful than Euro-spec airbags and dash contours were sometimes changed because US DOT required that the airbag restrain an UNBELTED occupant. On the other hand, less-powerful Euro airbags designed only to assist in restraining a BELTED occupant wouldn't kill or maim shorter drivers or kids, as US bags have. I think everyone's gone to a depowered or two-stage bag design in the US to work around this little bit of nastiness.

The US has other specific equipment and labeling rules, once again not necessarily better (US headlight requirements were for years so bad that US-legal headlights were illegal in much of the world) but different (some markets require side-marker lights, some don't, some require specific colors, some don't.)

All this affects exported US vehicles as well - if GM wants to sell a CTS or any other car in Europe a lot of things have to change (interesting to note on all the CTS-V pics the little wedge of headlight reserved, one guesses, for the headlight wiper that's required by law in some countries, particularly Scandinavian.)

Canada's addicted to their daytime running lights, and GM seems to be going along for the ride on that fetish, but DRLs are illegal in Germany and other places. Some cars get different wiring, some cars get a different headlight switch, some cars you just add a relay to enable them (or pull a relay to disable them), some cars (e.g. recent BMWs) it's software-configuration controlled. I can just hope, if I should buy a CTS-V at some point, that there's some way to get rid of them.
  • fav002fav002 Posts: 25
    While that custom 4-door CTS convertible just doesn't do anything for me, what do you guys think of a CTS coupe?!

Now if only GM would build it...or how about a V-series CTS in this body style?!
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,540
    . . . are included in RPO: PDL = Luxury Package.
    - Ray
    Hoping for better acceleration on the 3.6 / automatic than published so far . . .
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Why would you want to eleiminate the DRL's on your car since you cannot even see them when you are driving, and they just might keep someone else from running into you while passing on a two lane road???
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    sometimes change can be difficult to accept? DRLs probably do help . BUT then again so would 5 point harnesses and helmets
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Posts: 63
    Great work on the photo! What a look! If they were available, I'd take two... a Sable Black for me and a Garnet Red for my wife. We'd probably fight over who gets to drive which. Thanks for sharing a brilliant concept.

Anyone at GM awake?? I know... probably not a large enough market for the coupes, but wouldn't it be great to have one of them?
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I understand that some car manufacturers are working on 4 point harnesses. The helmet is up to you. If they made helmets mandatory some would complain that it blocks their peripheral vision, hurts their neck muscles or there isn't enough headroom. Actually the head curtains are an attempt to give you the same protection as a helmet.
    Heck if helmets were made mandatory, we wouldn't be able to use the cell phone while driving, and that would really suck.

thebug...
    You're thinking about buying a CTS-V. Nooo, not you.

thebug...
  • tornado25tornado25 Posts: 279
    rayainsw,

What have you seen for 0-60 numbers for the 3.6L?
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    I'd consider it. Don't much like the shape, but an LS6 covers a multitude of sins.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Posts: 45
    I have seen two different numbers published and they were quite a bit apart. One was 6.2 and the other estimated a range of 6.8-7.1.

Hard to believe the number would be over 7. My ancient 3.8L pushrod was rated at 7.7-7.8 in my Intrigue. 60 more HP should do more than a half second, but I'm not no expert in that area.
  • rob35ctsrob35cts Posts: 53
    I took my cts in to fix the clock. The guy quickly realized that he couldn't do any thing with it so he called cadillac. they told him to replace the instrament cluster. I am really worried about rattles. What does everyone think. I am actually thinking about leaving it alone.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I would think that info would be available very soon since production started today.

Also very curious to see how they will handle the pricing on the 3.6L since the auto is mandatory.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,540
    thecarconnection 'guessed' 0-60 for the 3.6 / auto. as '6.8 to 7.1'.
    None of the major car magazines has published test numbers AFAIK.
    - Ray
    Hoping for something closer to 6.5 - and an under 15 sec. quarter mile . . .
  • tornado25tornado25 Posts: 279
    Actually, I just caught something after digging a little. (Followed the Autoweek link posted here earlier for their review of the 04 CTS).
    That review has the 6.2 time and notes that's from the "mfr". Thus, it appears Caddy thinks it will do that at least. It doesn't sound like there are any real numbers yet, of course. 6.2 sounds damn good to me, since the LS8 does 6.42 (or is it 6.24?). Either way, fast for a V6, IMO.
    Don't think it will do it in 6.2.
    The car does weigh almost 3700 lbs.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    OK, folks it's Official now. Those of you who either own a CTS or are interested in getting one, are all invited to join us at an informal getogther here in L.A. We'll be meeting at 11:00 am on Saturday, June 21st. Location: the Del Taco/Pep Boys parking lot, southwest corner of La Tijera and Manchester in Westchester, CA.

That's around the block from LAX. To get there via the 405 Freeway, take the Manchester offramp, go WEST on Manchester about 2 miles to La Tijera (Firestone Tire shop on corner). Turn left, then right into the Del Taco/Pep Boys lot. You'll see a couple of black CTSs there, so you won't be able to miss us.

After we kick a few tires we can have lunch there at Del Taco. Please let me know if you are coming by emailing me at: Jerry@laccc.com

Hope to see you there! -Jerry:>)
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Posts: 94
    Oh, Man, I feel your pain! I sure wish the Dealer would have explained the Luxury versus Luxury Sport Option package more clearly to you. I hope no one else makes that same mistake. I still contend that all of you potential buyers will be much happier in the long run if you get the car you want, rather than just go by cost. I learned my lesson back in 1977 when I bought my '77 Chevy stepside pickup, which I still own. To keep the costs down, I got the 350 V8 instead of the 454 I really wanted. I also got other options like manual crank windows instead of power windows to save costs. All my co-workers were aghast at the price: $6305 out the door. I heard all sorts of comments like "My last new truck cost me $3500!" and I took them to heart. Now I kick myself for going by price and not what I really wanted.
    The leather quality on my 95 Eldorado Touring Coupe was better than my CTS BUT my Eldorado stickered for almost 47K in 1995

For whatever reason my clocks are now reading the same time . there were 3-4 minutes off. I did nothing .

0-60 times for the new 3.6 liter engine dont seem much better than the 3.2 with a manual transmission. My manual was a good choice

I am glad I got the Lux sport package ...now I dont wish about what it would be like .

Any pricing yet for the CTS-V saving my pennies
  • jpnmassjpnmass Posts: 45
    Anyone know why GM didn't use the 'wet-arm' wipers and instead choose to put the water dispensers on the hood?

It seemed like GM was the only maker with the wet-arm and I assumed they must have had the patent for it and no one else wanted to pay for it.

IMO, the wet-arm is far superior in two ways. First, it works better. Instead of shooting two streams of water in single locations the wet-arm sprays the water all over the windshield for a better result. (I have not seen the CTS in action, but I have been in other cars with the set-up) Second, the black spots on the hood seem a little ugly.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The axle ratio looks to remain at 3.42:1. GM says that the 3.6 has about 25% more torque than the 3.2 over the 1500-6000 RPM range (more or less). So performance should be better. I don't think anyone (magazines) has been given a car to "test" as yet.
    I think they are better too except when some snow /ice build up detaches the mounting point and the nozzle dangles till you fix it

I havent heard much about the CTS in the matrix movie .....guesss it didnt go over to big\

I read a CTS-v review that stated a M5 test driver had a better lap time at Nurburgring than with the M5 I know I know BMW is coming out with a new engine ......they better
  • automoleautomole Posts: 154
    I have the same 'clock problem' as everyone else and can honestly say that there's NO WAY I would let them replace my instrument cluster as the fix.

I'd rather live with the clock being wrong than the rattles or other problems that could be introduced by the cluster replacement.

At the very least I'd wait until it's closer to the expiration of your warranty before getting the work done. Maybe by the time you get around to it Cadillac will have come up with a better fix.
    How quickly we forget. That 454 would not have been the motor to have when the 1980 gas crisis came around.
    Heck, I wouldn't want it now.
    They won't even pull 15 mpg on the highway.
    By the way I don't have power windows, locks, cruise or tilt on my '87 Camaro.
    Doesn't bother me in the least.