Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    Actually, I just caught something after digging a little. (Followed the Autoweek link posted here earlier for their review of the 04 CTS).
    That review has the 6.2 time and notes that's from the "mfr". Thus, it appears Caddy thinks it will do that at least. It doesn't sound like there are any real numbers yet, of course. 6.2 sounds damn good to me, since the LS8 does 6.42 (or is it 6.24?). Either way, fast for a V6, IMO.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Don't think it will do it in 6.2.
    The car does weigh almost 3700 lbs.
  • ctsjerryctsjerry Member Posts: 94
    OK, folks it's Official now. Those of you who either own a CTS or are interested in getting one, are all invited to join us at an informal getogther here in L.A. We'll be meeting at 11:00 am on Saturday, June 21st. Location: the Del Taco/Pep Boys parking lot, southwest corner of La Tijera and Manchester in Westchester, CA.

That's around the block from LAX. To get there via the 405 Freeway, take the Manchester offramp, go WEST on Manchester about 2 miles to La Tijera (Firestone Tire shop on corner). Turn left, then right into the Del Taco/Pep Boys lot. You'll see a couple of black CTSs there, so you won't be able to miss us.

After we kick a few tires we can have lunch there at Del Taco. Please let me know if you are coming by emailing me at: Jerry@laccc.com

Hope to see you there! -Jerry:>)
    Oh, Man, I feel your pain! I sure wish the Dealer would have explained the Luxury versus Luxury Sport Option package more clearly to you. I hope no one else makes that same mistake. I still contend that all of you potential buyers will be much happier in the long run if you get the car you want, rather than just go by cost. I learned my lesson back in 1977 when I bought my '77 Chevy stepside pickup, which I still own. To keep the costs down, I got the 350 V8 instead of the 454 I really wanted. I also got other options like manual crank windows instead of power windows to save costs. All my co-workers were aghast at the price: $6305 out the door. I heard all sorts of comments like "My last new truck cost me $3500!" and I took them to heart. Now I kick myself for going by price and not what I really wanted.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    The leather quality on my 95 Eldorado Touring Coupe was better than my CTS BUT my Eldorado stickered for almost 47K in 1995

For whatever reason my clocks are now reading the same time . there were 3-4 minutes off. I did nothing .

0-60 times for the new 3.6 liter engine dont seem much better than the 3.2 with a manual transmission. My manual was a good choice

I am glad I got the Lux sport package ...now I dont wish about what it would be like .

Any pricing yet for the CTS-V saving my pennies
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Anyone know why GM didn't use the 'wet-arm' wipers and instead choose to put the water dispensers on the hood?

It seemed like GM was the only maker with the wet-arm and I assumed they must have had the patent for it and no one else wanted to pay for it.

IMO, the wet-arm is far superior in two ways. First, it works better. Instead of shooting two streams of water in single locations the wet-arm sprays the water all over the windshield for a better result. (I have not seen the CTS in action, but I have been in other cars with the set-up) Second, the black spots on the hood seem a little ugly.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    The axle ratio looks to remain at 3.42:1. GM says that the 3.6 has about 25% more torque than the 3.2 over the 1500-6000 RPM range (more or less). So performance should be better. I don't think anyone (magazines) has been given a car to "test" as yet.
    I think they are better too except when some snow /ice build up detaches the mounting point and the nozzle dangles till you fix it

I havent heard much about the CTS in the matrix movie .....guesss it didnt go over to big\

I read a CTS-v review that stated a M5 test driver had a better lap time at Nurburgring than with the M5 I know I know BMW is coming out with a new engine ......they better
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    I have the same 'clock problem' as everyone else and can honestly say that there's NO WAY I would let them replace my instrument cluster as the fix.

I'd rather live with the clock being wrong than the rattles or other problems that could be introduced by the cluster replacement.

At the very least I'd wait until it's closer to the expiration of your warranty before getting the work done. Maybe by the time you get around to it Cadillac will have come up with a better fix.
    How quickly we forget. That 454 would not have been the motor to have when the 1980 gas crisis came around.
    Heck, I wouldn't want it now.
    They won't even pull 15 mpg on the highway.
    By the way I don't have power windows, locks, cruise or tilt on my '87 Camaro.
    Doesn't bother me in the least.
    How about a little update on the '04 CTS.
    Option changes, prices, performance, etc.
    The natives are getting restless.
    It is not a good idea to let a service department work on a dash assembly or even factory paint unless it absolutely has to be. No matter how they tell you they have the best employees .....I have always wondered where the mediocre employees worked.
    You guys want to start a pool with your best guess
    on what the '04 CTS's 0-60 time will be?

Whoever is closest within 5/100 of a second wins.
    Of course you win nothing, except our undying respect.

We will average the best 4 times from the top car mags. Car and Driver, R & T, Motor Trend and Autoweek.

We can have multiple winners also. If two people pick the same time that is okay.

I will go first: 6.8 secs.
    6.5 seconds
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    6.4 seconds
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    OK.
    - Ray
    Hoping to be on the conservative side . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    For additional clarification there will no penalty for going over the average time.
    If it turns out to be 6.76 secs and there are votes for 6.7 and 6.8 then the 6.8 gets it.
    If someone votes 6.75 secs then they are the winner in this example.
    In the rare instance that the average came out to 6.75 and there were votes for 6.7 and 6.8 then I guess we could go for the lower number.
    What do you guys think?
    I still long for that Big Block. Yes, the gas "crisis" would have been tough, but I could have managed. I had 4 cars at the time and only one driver, so I used the other 3 cars as "storage tanks". The '77 350 was always a weak running V8, with all the de-tuning they did. A 327 was a much better engine. '77 was the last year you could get the Big 10, which has HD suspension and NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER. Luckily I did get that option. The 454 would have been so great, specially with the tougher tranny that was behind it. And insofar as no power door locks or windows, you've never driven a '73-present day Chevy pickup. They are WIDE (I can put 4 persons in my front seat). Reaching across it has always been a PAIN. Sorry, I still feel bad I goofed and got a lesser truck. For a lousy $1500 at the time, I'd have ALL the goodies. And my truck would be worth alot more now too. Buy the best equipped CTS you can afford folks!! You'll never regret it!
    Friend's had a '76 Suburban with the 454. 245 hp.
    He was an antiques dealer and needed it to go to shows and pull a trailer.
    Pulled that trailer like it wasn't even on there.
    His was a "10" series and with the light duty tires he had many flats. I guess the passenger tires couldn't handle the load and the heat build up.

Give us your 0-60 vote for the pool.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    I stopped in the dealer today to ask about when the 04s are expected. They said you won't see them before September but who knows if they really know. I was hoping to see them sooner. They also said they will be getting more 03s in before then.

On a different note. If I do go for the CTS, my preference would be a lux sport w/ auto (blue or black, haven't seen the new silver green). Since I already decided I wanted an 04 I didn't care. Then before I left, I saw a black manual kind of off to the side. It was a base, no options, black interior. It looked awesome. I started to walk away, then came back to look again. It just looked great with the sun (which we haven't seen much of in the north east)shining on it. I turned around and there was a garnet red with the 24 hr test drive sign on it. When I finally left the dealer, I saw three CTS on the way home. I NEVER see more than one in a day!

Is this thing calling for me? I'm afraid to take the test drive because I may not be able to wait to try an 04. Man that black one looked good.
  • tvdirectvdirec Member Posts: 22
    I'll go with 6.7
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    6.3 0-60 and under 15 for the 1/4 mile.
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    Apologize for being way off the CTS subject, but...
    Had a 95 F250 2wd with the 350-ish engine (tow pkg). Then bought a 30 foot travel trailer. The 350 towed it ok on open flat roads but once you got into the hills, you could tell that engine was straining bad. Went looking at the 99 F250's (mid-98 when they were coming out) but the prices were jacked way up. Ended up finding a new (unsold) 97 F250 4x4 with 460 engine on a dealer lot. Traded the 95 in on it. The 460 pulls the trailer with no "complaining" at all. And since it was still the "old" body style, only had to get my canopy re-painted to match.
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    Anybody else noticed that the "recalls" info line on the gmlink page (at least for my CTS) has been "temporarily unavailable" for over a week now?
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    I'll take 6.81. 0-60 is just a little diddly low-speed number that measures off-the-line traction and gear ratio in the first couple gears, though.

The important numbers IMO are quarter-mile, 0-120mph (or 0-200kph, or 0-150mph if the car can do it) and distance-after-30-seconds from a standing start (the cop-car testers like this last one.) What distinguishes a car that feels fast in everyday use from one that doesn't is how hard it accelerates at 100mph.

Towing - I've got an old 454. Tows fine for what I need it to do, but there's no way it can even touch any of the current crop of big turbodiesels. And you could count on one hand the number of production big-blocks Detroit's ever built that could breathe.
  • tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    I'll go with 6.35. I totally agree though that 1/4 mi is a better measure of the car. I also appreciate the 50-70 time that some magazines measure. I think that really tells you how the strong the car is throughout the torque curve.
  • tyler80tyler80 Member Posts: 20
    I live near Lansing, Michigan where the Cadillac CTS is made and here are a couple articles from our local news regarding the new 2004 CTS and the new Cadillac line up in general.

2004 Cadillac CTS
    http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?s=%20%201309535

GM & Cadillac Reaping Awards
    http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?s=%20%201266425
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    are now available at the kbb web site. Just saw them so have not had time to digest them yet. Looks like a base CTS with auto and 3.6 will be $32535. Other options appear to have increased slightly also. Go check it out.
  • tyler80tyler80 Member Posts: 20
    Along with the prices that bigdaddycoats just found, media.gm.com has released further information regarding the 2004 CTS and the future of the Cadillac lineup.
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Sure I would have regretted it. I would have had to deal with all that wood.

My guess: 6.45
  • chrisbothchrisboth Member Posts: 493
    I love the CTS and want one but even with bigger motor - the times you are suggesting are still below stock G with 260 hp...must be that G is lighter
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Just looked at the option groupings on kbb, and they are very conflicting. This is without a doubt a typo. It appears as though you can select a package, and or separate them out to some degree, or mix and match. It's really hard to discern. Base model price is listed at $30,850 including D/C.

I called the local dealer, and they know nothing about this listing. They have nothing as of yet. It may be better to wait to see what develops after they sort this mess out. I just hope you can get it without a sun/moonroof.

thebug...
    Is the $30,850 with shipping? If it is that is a fairly small price increase.

Answered my own question looks lie it includes shipping so the increase is minimal.
    Hey man, that's exactly how I got mine! My black CTS was sitting there, in the sun, looking like that Christmas tree scene from CHRISTMAS VACATION. It beckoned me. I knew it was the ONE! Now, remember, I had looked at several before, but this one was IT!

The later 2003 models have black dashboards, but I've NEVER seen a Sable Black car with an ALL Black interior. That would be my choice, but my Dark Pewter is pretty darn close in my eyes. I'm not big on the black dash with neutral or tu-tone interior, but that's just me.

I realize a lot of you are waiting for the bigger V6 or V8 and that's cool, but the 2003 3.2L is pretty quick in it's own right. It's no slouch. Mine's running faster as she gets broken in. I had her briefly up to 110 last week, without a sweat. The variable speed steering is like riding on rails (Luxo Sport)

That "transmission reset" trick I wrote about in an earlier post, really worked. Sounded weird to me, but it's shifting better than ever. No more slipping in first gear either.

About the number of CTSs I see per day: I'm seeing more here in L.A., but I consider three to be a good day. Usually only one, or none. I drive only about 25-30 miles per weekday, so that might be a factor.
    Appears to be a base car with the 3.6L for $1700 and the PDX Sport package for $1875.
    Options are $3575 + base car $30,850 for a total of $34,425.
    kbb is saying 260 hp.
    I guess we will know the real pricing when Cadillac.com posts them
    If the new 3.6L costs $1700 and the auto comes with it then the new motor is only costing $500.
    Seems fair to me.
    As I read it, the automatic price is not available which means it may be higher priced than last years 1200. So the 3.6 with automatic is likly to be $3000. The sport package with lots of stuff is about $10000.
    Hey, BTW, I know someone posted that there was a CAI available somewhere. I've been thinking about getting one. Anyone know who makes on? I'll be embarrassed if I was the one who mentioned it. :)
    look at post 1087
    It was you who mentioned it ....Breathless still doesnt have CTS info posted
    Guess I'll have to call them, then. I should know better than to post things when work has my head spinning. :)
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Bill......My 01 Chevy plow rig has them..Tore them both up over the winter scraping ice and such in those little valleys under the wipers.
    What a pain!...........geo
  • missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    changed the oil, getting ready for the trip out west. oil and filter change was easy, put in mobil 1. one neat thing i saw while we the had the cts on the lift was the transmission has a drain plug. great idea, you don't have to drop the pan to change the fluid. i will give you a full report on my road trip when i get back. planning to drive around 3500 to 4500 miles. the cts is a great car and this is a great board.
    So far we have:

wwhite2 = 6.9 secs
    b4z = 6.8
    tvdirec = 6.7
    rayainsw = 6.6
    fjk57702 = 6.5
    necros = 6.45
    mannytranny = 6.4
    tornado25 = 6.35
    oldsman01 = 6.3

Remember, we can have more than 1 person with the same time.

I would expect that the August issues of the car mags will have instrumented 0-60 times.
    According to the link provided by tyler80. '04 CTS's will be on dealer's lots June 11th.

Doesn't that seem kind of quick? Don't they usually go to holding yards before they are shipped to dealers?

Since the first '04 rolled off the assembly line this morning, that would only be 5 days from now.

By the way, 1293 CTS's were produced this week.
    Don't guess there was any downtime for model changeover this year.
    go back about fifteen messages, I took 6.81.
    1) there's an ongoing (endless) debate on the effectiveness of the K&N-type cone filters (they generally have far less area than the OEM filter, which means they'll plug up faster, and whether they're as effective as OEM paper-element filters is debatable)

2) pretty much all production cars have a "cold air intake" (as in a snorkel that takes in air outside the engine compartment)

3) about the only cars on which any kind of aftermarket 'cold air intake' shows any repeatable HP improvement are cars with a truly strangled OEM setup.