Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Haven't we done this interior thing before. What is the big deal about VW interiors anyway? Other than the Toureg(sp?) and the Phaeton, both of which cost much more than the CTS, I don't see anything special about them. Oh, the blue backlighting on the instruments is nice I guess. When you start to poke around in a VW, you notice those plastics may have a nice look to them, but they are pretty cheaply made. If it were a 40K+ car then I would say the CTS needs a more upscale interior, but for it's price range, it is pretty dead on. Look at the Infiniti G35, Lexus IS300, BMW 3 series, MB C-class, and Lincoln LS, none of them have an overly opulent interior. Sure a Lexus ES300(or 330) is almost as nice as the LS430, but look at whats underneath the car. A Camry! I guess Cadillac could have simply given us an Oldsmobile Intrigue with an STS-like interior and all the "cheap plastic" folks here would have been satisfied. I'm glad they spent the money where it counts.

Having been driving my LS for nearly 2 months now, I can tell you that I really appreciate a well designed and balanced chassis. The Lincoln could probably be dinged for some cheap parts in the interior(heck, I'm sure someone will say a Passat has a nicer interior) but the Linc more than makes up for it under the hood and beneath the sheet metal. Those who own a CTS or similar RWD luxury sedan will know what I mean. So okay, I'll confess your Passat may have a nicer interior than my LS does, but let's pop the hoods and see who's better looking then:)
    Legacy costs(i.e. pensions) and labor costs are what's really hurting not just GM, but all US automakers. I'm all for workers getting paid good wages, receiving good benefits, and getting good retirement plans, but some of what Detroit is paying is ridiculous.
  • bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    I'm 27/M, decent career starting, and LOVE the direction Cadillac is heading. Don't want to sound cheesey, but the cars are great and the commercials "speak to me". Don't ditch the "Break Through" slogan too soon... keep getting the Led out. ;-)

Suggestions:
    If you could offer the seat heaters as a standalone option I'd appreciate it. It's the only thing I want in that package.
    If you could offer the 18" V series wheels (a la AMG) on the regular CTS that'd be worth $$ to me.

And oh yea, hurry up with my 3.6 6M CTS already. ;-)

Brian
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    This past week I had the opportunity to spend some time driving around San Diego, La Jolla, and Los Angeles, mostly looking at the cars the locals drive. I was amazed that during the week, I only saw one CTS. There was a high percentage of luxury brands, mostly BMW, M-B, Lexus, Acura, (a dozen of each brand per day)plus a few Saab, Volvo, Maserati, Jaguar, and Ferrari (one or several per day. I'm from St. Louis and in my daily commute to a middle-class neighborhood, I am used to seeing at least one or more CTS every day.

Is this dearth of CTSs in So. Cal. true or did I just manage to be in the wrong spot? I did notice that there was a higher percentage of luxury cars in So. Cal. than in St. Louis. I used to drive Grand Prixs and had observed in the past that Grand Prix is not a popular car in the San Diego area. I did see a few older Cadillacs, but no recent ones.

Has anyone else observed this trend? Does anybody have any data on the demographics of CTS ownership?
  • cadillac1cadillac1 Member Posts: 51
    Its a well known fact that the coasts, especially the west coast, are import dominated areas. San Francisco for example is something like 70% imports.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    tetedepierre, I,m glad my OnStar info was helpful. You're right about my profile needing to be updated. When I first started posting here our only car was the Chrysler (Jeep G'Cherokee) and I was shopping for our second. Now I own the CTS and the Jeep is the wife's car. :-)
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    In the LA area you see a lot of very high-end models, a lot of very cheap cars.

In the Bay Area you don't see quite as many Rodeo Drive Shopping Carts, the > $100K models like Bentleys, Benz SLs, etc. but you see more midrange models e.g. Benz Es, BMW 5s, M3s, X5s, LS400s, LX470s, etc. It's not uncommon to have 20 BMWs/mile on I280 on the mid-Peninsula.

Can't speak for Sandy Eggo.

Toyota took over from the Detroit brands as the 'normal' middle-class car purchase in California about 1980, and since then it's largely been Honda and Toyota fighting it out among themselves. Frankly, around here whenever I see a newish Grand Prix I assume it's a rental unless/until proven otherwise (off-topic comment: those new ones are SOoooo ugly...)

There are CTS's on the road in the Bay Area, a pretty good number considering how long the car's been on the market, but around here many of the factors that go into determining why a person chooses a particular brand (number of dealers, friends' experiences, etc.) push people toward BMWs and Audis.

I've got, for instance, about 2x as many BMW dealers within 30 miles of my house as Cadillac dealers, and that's *after* BMW bought out at least one of 'em about five years ago so that it wouldn't be so close to another, larger one.
  • manuelmanuel Member Posts: 13
    I just moved to Los Angeles about a month ago from the NW Indiana/Chicago region, which is pretty heavily populated by CTSs and Cadillacs in general. I wouldn't quite say there is a dearth of CTS, but comparatively to Chicago there is. I guess you just have to be out at the right time of the day or in the right place, because they've become more frequent now that i've been here for a little while. Escalades are of course everywhere. As are damn SLs, i see those everywhere, and i really am getting to be sick of Mercedes period.
  • tateostateos Member Posts: 36
    We are considering an 04 CTS. I drive a '97 ETC purchased new, with 98K miles, still a great car. The CTS will be for my wife. We test drove an '03 earlier this year, but weren't satisfied with the sound/smoothness/power from the 3.2L engine; we are spoiled with the Eldorado with Northstar. I've driven the '04 and the 3.6L seems like a big improvement. We are planning on the base model with the 3.6L/AT option. The sunroof cuts off too much headroom, so the luxury sport package is out of the question anyway, and the luxury package seems overpriced. I drove the base model, and it seems plenty stiff and sporty for me (I'm 47)

Anyway, right now there are no rebates, other than the $1,500 Conquest rebate which we can take advantage of (my wife's current car is a Mercury). We are waiting until there is a compelling reason to make the purchase, such as a rebate. I kind of think there will be some sort of reabate or enhanced pricing between now and the end of the year. Anybody have any opinions on that? Also, I have heard that the best time of year to buy a car is the week between Christmas and New Year's. Any opinions on that idea? I also read in the past on this board about some sort of discount coupons for GM employees to pass out to their friends; are any of these around right now?

Thanks for your input and advise.

Oh, one more thing. My wife wants to get a black CTS. I had a black car once, and it was hell to keep clean, and it showed surface scratches like crazy. Is that still the case, or are the paints improved since my '81 Pontiac?

Thanks again.

Richard Moore
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Warning....don't get a black car in Az.! You'll regret it. Yes, black is one of the nicest (if not the nicest) when clean. The problem is that after considerable toil to wash it, it will be dirty five min. later with all the dust in AZ. It's an exercise in futility, and not worth it.

(Don't say you weren't warned.)
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Paint jobs are even softer now than they were in the '80s. So they scratch and chip more easily.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I went from a 95 ETC to a 03 manual Lux Sport CTS. The CTS is an unbelievable car . The only thing I miss is the the sound of the northstar and how hard it pulled .I got over it real quick .
  • redgtconvredgtconv Member Posts: 46
    I just took delivery of my '04 CTS about 10 days ago. I got the base model with the 3.6L and auto, plus I got the stand alone sports package (PDX). I did not want to pay for all of the unnecessary options in the sports luxury package, so I just got what I considered the most important. And I am very happy with it. I think the sports package is a bargain. Don't buy the base without trying the sports package first. As far as color goes, I bought the light platinum, not only because I really liked that color, but because it is the easiest color to maintain ( hides dirt). I'm 54 and I don't think the sports suspension is too firm for me. In fact, I think it has a rich luxurious feel like an Audi or BMW.
  • badgmbadgm Member Posts: 5
    I see ya made it back from the BBQ ! I'm sitting in Philly as we speak. Heading for AC tomorrow after I hook up with the Philly plowheads and get them their shirts !...............geo
    Congratulations on your new CTS. I know you have
    been working on it for a long time.
    Good to see that Cadillac finally has the base cars with the PDX Sport Package in the pipeline.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I went to the GM autoshow in motion this weekend in houston. Out of all the cars/trucks/SUVs the one that impressed me the most was the CTS. I was shocked at how well it handled and the power on tap(assume it was a 3.6l '04). The only negative I would say is the interior. Does anybody make a wood dash kit (similar to wood interior on SRX) for the CTS. I drive a chrysler 300M and a FX35 right now and the CTS is almost as fun to drive as the infiniti. One last question is 0% available on the '04's. Thanks and you guys own a great car.
    clpurnell,
    Yes, there are wood trim kits for the '03, so the '04 should be covered as well since I don't think there are any changes to the interior's form factor.
    Yep I made it back . It was great . Another one in Ct this weekend . Bill
    I'm in the same age and career building stage as yourself and am very impressed with the direction Cadillac is headed. I've always liked Caddys, but really think they are truly going to compete with the luxury marques with their new products. I like the ads as well, although I wouldn't mind hearing the Northstar V8 at full throttle in an ad. I couldn't quite afford a brand new 04 CTS right now and was really wanting(would almost say needing) a different car so I bought an 01 Lincoln LS V8. I like the Linc, but having test driven several CTSs, I can say the CTS has a tighter overall chassis. And my guess is the new 3.6 liter V6 models are probably as quick(or quicker) than my V8 LS.

manuel, I was in Chicago on business a week ago and noticed that not only there but throughout the midwest in general, you see more American cars. Here in TN, Cadillacs(including CTSs) are pretty common and you don't see alot of the really expensive imports, but run of the mill imports like Camrys and Accords are a dime a dozen. Another thing I noticed in Chi-town was that I saw alot of late 80s GM sedans(LeSabres and Delta 88s) and despite their age, they seemed to be in relatively good shape. Here, most of those are either on their last leg or have been lowered and are rolling on some dubs that are probably worth more than the car.

tateos, my previous car was black and when she was clean, she was a beauty. However, the black did show alot of dirt and was a real oven during the summer here in TN. My LS is dark red and while it tends to show dirt fairly easily as well(all dark colors do), I was surprised at how cooler the interior of the car is. Maybe the Lincoln has a better A/C system or better tinting in the glass but even sitting in the sun, it is now where near as hot inside as my black Intrigue was. Having said that, my favorite CTS colors are black and the dark blue. I haven't seen one in the new red in person to see how it looks.
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Driving the other day and suddenly there was a strong vibration. Soon as it happened I turned around for home. Noticed that at stop signs/lights everything was fine. Once in motion the vibe was back. Vibe was strong enough that I could feel it through the floor pan on my feet. Felt like I was driving a rider mower. First thought was transmission. Turned out a bolt dropped out of the forward driveshaft coupler. Fortunately it did not fall all the way out until I was in my driveway. I was able to retrieve the bolt but the nut was long gone. Called the dealer who advised against trying to drive it in. They had me arrange a flatbed tow thru Cadillac Roadside Assistance. Service writer was waiting for me when I showed up. Showed him the bolt and first thing he did was go thru the new bulletins. So happens a bulletin just came out. There's a new coupler and bolt kit available. All the writers and even the chief mechanic got in on it. This was the first they'd seen of this issue and it apparently refers to the early models and the front (engine-side) coupler only.(Took delivery of mine, a demo unit, in Jul 02 so the car was probably delivered to the dealer originally in March 02.) The coupler and bolt kit was not on the dealer shelf, but should be in by tomorrow.

On wood kits, Vogue makes them (www.vogue-tyre.com). Also see www.woodtrim.com. I think both sites have pretty good pictures of what they look like installed. My opinion but those things are like tattoos. Make sure you really want it. I like the Spartan and functional look of the stock layout. It has a technical elegance and beauty as opposed to the aesthetic beauty through adornment look. I don't even look at it much anyway. I programmed the steering wheel controls to do the button pushing necessary. But if that floats your boat... anchors aweigh!
    calicadi,
    Did you happen to pick up on what is build date range that the service bulletin applies to? I have a Jan '03 build date and am wondering if I need to make a visit to my dealer about this. Thanks.
    I'll ask the date range when I pick it up. Hopefully today (10/22).
    Dropping the forward end of a driveshaft is very catastrophic (severe damage) and a safety problem .Drag racing requires driveshaft loops to retain broken driveshafts or u joints . This sounds like it should be a recall . .
    The damage that results from the front of a driveshaft dropping depends on (a) the speed of the vehicle and rotational speed of the shaft (b) the length and mass of the shaft.

Best-case, you're barely moving and there's something under it to restrain it, it goes 'thumpthump' and puts a dent in your (a) floorpan or (b) exhaust system.

Worst-case, you're zipping down the highway at 100mph and it drops free and no crossmember or exhaust system catches it, it snags on the pavement, tears loose from the final drive and makes like a javelin through the car's rear structure.
  • missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    got the new tires and wheels put on today and the problem is fixed. it is still hard to belive that all four goodyears went bad.
    I cant believe they also scratched all 4 wheels . But then again there is nothing like starting out new !
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    Although I am practically committed in my mind to buy a CTS I have been glancing at the Infinity G35. On that post I find that the brakes require replacement at as little as 7500 miles or less. My Saab front brakes lasted 90000 miles and the rears are still original at 111000 miles. Can any of you owners tell me how your brakes are lasting? I would think there is someone out there with a bit of mileage on his car.
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    My brakes are about halfway gone after 20K miles. But I also drive my car VERY aggressively, and track it. My experience is most likely not typical
    Just to clarify (don't want people freakin out out there)... my drive shaft did not drop out. Only one bolt came out. There are six bolts on the coupler. Just got off the phone with the dealer. The kit arrived missing the bolts so they need to keep it one more day until the bolts arrive. They promise to burn me copy of the tech bulletin when I p/u the car. I'll share the contents.
    So 35000 miles or so and tracking it. They will probably last me at least 50000 miles. Certainly acceptable.
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    I'm just about 24k miles (39,000 km)and the last brake inspection had me at 6mm left on the front pads and 8mm on the rears. Should be good for another 10k or so. I do quite a bit of rush hour highway, but drive fairly aggressively on the local roads and the country twisties. Brakes are still strong, no fade, and stop me in a straight line with no vibration.
    From your message and that of Necros I think that I can put my anxiety about brake life to rest. If I buy a CTS, that is. I still can't quite believe what I read on the Infinity G35 posting about 7500 mile brake jobs. Also re the complaints here about the interior finish of the CTS. I'd much rather have the production dollars go into mechanicals than the interior and have less maintenance down the road. And by the way, I have no complaint about the CTS interior.
    Has got to be the afterthought of a gearshift console.
    Its like they designed the stack. Then said, "we have to put something around the gearshift."
    The two are not connected visually in any way.
    I am not saying it has to be one piece. It just has to have 1 design theme.
    It can be two different parts and even have a seam or gap whee the 2 meet meet.
    As long as they look integrated.
    I have never seen this before in any car.

As far as adding wood and aluminum trim bits that is fine too. I guess we will only have to wait 8 more months to see the 2005 interior redesign.
    Some Detroit traditions are hard to break, once upon a time used to be that everything was designed for three-across bench seating and every center console was an afterthought. Now they just design them to *look* that way.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I've considered both the CTS and the G as well as the Jag X type... and find all three to be exceptional cars... as for the brakeproblems of the G I really can't say, I know it has a lot to do with peoples driving habbits, along with the fact that the G can shall we say "stop on a dime" power has much to say about the break wear, yet they are right, they shouldn't be wearing out at 10K miles and most certainly the rotors should not be warping at these points. unfortunatly something turned me off about the CTS, I like the car but there is something about the X type that I love, I also like the G alot. Considering the fact that I'll be leaseing I'm not totaly worried about the cars future relieability after 3 yrs considering that I'm not going to have it after then... frankly I don't know which of the three I like better, I have to decide by the end of november, cause thats when I've set up my finances to get one. oh well thought I'd share my thoughts.
    Got my baby back today. Big props to the Wayne Stead service dept. The best. Lots of data here so pardon length. OK first that drive shaft coupler bolt thing. The bulletin that covered my AWOL bolt is #02-07-30-026-(06/05/2002). It's title, "Launch Shudder Felt on Hard Acceleration (Replace Transmission Output Shaft Flange)". It covers prior to VIN breakpoint 30108959. To quote, "Condition - Some customers may comment on a shudder felt in the vehicle on acceleration. / Cause - This condition may be caused by insufficient clearance between the transmission output shaft flange and the propshaft attaching bolts." Then follows six pages of instructions of R&R. Back to direct quote here "Parts Information - P/N-96042440 - Desc-Flange Kit - Qty-1 - Limited parts available from GMSPO. Do not order for stock. This condition will only be experienced by a limited number of customers."

Needless to say I didn't come in complaining of "launch shudder" but Wayne Stead always does their research, they found this related bulletin and gave me the upgraded assembly. Oh jemiller... drive assured, the CTS has a "floor panel tunnel brace" to catch a wayward driveshaft in the worst-case scenario. In the tech bulletin instructions it's the first thing removed when doing this work. Cool, huh?

I'm serious when I say they do they research. Here's the first - missouri2 you out there? - This just came out this last Monday... "Product update 03019 is a product update for tires... We have inspected the tires and noted DOT codes.. Customer will call for an appointment to replace 4 tires... This update will expire on 10/31/04". So I guess my tires fell in the range. (Sorry kids the range is not listed on the work order, just what I typed above.) They inspected my tires, found no signs of the defect (which is not safety related), and told me I could make arrangements at my convenience to get the replacements.

Second, they found "Perform 11276 Malfunction Indicator Light Recall per bulletin 02-06-01-013". This is apparently a software bug that causes spurious Check Engine Light illumination with no codes. I never experienced this fault.

And finally, they installed the new C-pillar air bag covers (properly referred to as "Rear Sail Panels"). The part numbers for these new better fitting parts are 25758095 and 25758096.

All the above was done under warranty. So I got my flanges bolted, software debugged, sails set and new rubber in the pipeline. Can we say "Road trip!"?
  • missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    now i know why all four goodyears were bad. thank you. the problem with my tires was the sidewalls were bulged
  • jhl4jhl4 Member Posts: 18
    I'm considering a CTS. Test drove and liked it very much. LOVE the look, however, when I opened the trunk for a look, my jaw dropped. Can you get two full sized suitcases in there? This could be a deal breaker. (sad)
    What are you driving now and have you considered putting down the rear seat-backs. That's what I am planning on doing. Unlike the Lexus the rear seat backs come down.
    Depends on the size of your suitcases. Bring 'em along to the dealer and do a test fit. That's what I did. I'm a part-time musician. I can fit two Roland KC-300 amps (each has 1-12" speaker plus horn driver), one Marshall VS-80 amp (has 2-12" speakers), two soft-sided gig bags, and one guitar case in the trunk, WITHOUT dropping the rear-seat. This is about the same cube-age as the Seville I traded in for the CTS. Being able to carry the music gear was important but not a deal killer. Just to satisfy my curiosity, before I signed the papers, I loaded up the Seville, drove to the dealer and transferred it all over. I was amazed. The CTS is a bit narrower but it's deeper and everything fit. Gotta watch out for the screws that hold the rear speaker, they're unguarded and sharp.

If you find your current luggage doesn't fit, you can always buy new pieces. It's a small price to pay compared to what you'd miss not owning one.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Calicadi:
         When I was shopping for my CTS, I thought the trunk was large enough for my needs, but was a little concerned about whether or not my golf clubs would fit across the width of the trunk and still allow room for luggage. I did a test similar to yours and found that my clubs and bag would fit if I removed my driver from the bag and placed it in the trunk outside the bag.
         I also took my wife along to see how she liked the CTS. If she hadn't liked it, I was prepared to follow your luggage advice and get rid of the old bag. :>)
    It's great seeing the amount of empirical research being posted . Quite often we the consumers have a better handle on things than dealer service departments . I have presented problems, then mentioned the repair by quoting a TSB that the dealer had no idea existed.
    I think the capabilities of service departments must vary widely. I'm not just talking mechanic skills either. The software fix and tire inspection popped up on their screen, I assume when they entered my VIN. Then they dug deeper, called up the bulletins, and started checking numbers. On their work orders it also automatically pops up any recommended service checks based on time and mileage, and shows the last six service operations performed. They must be tapping into a pretty robust database to do all that. This is also a dealership that sells no other marques and has 12 factory certified mechanics. They just really know their stuff and got the goodies to do it right.
    Interesting that there is an advisory for random Check Engine lights. Mine just came on driving to work today. It doesn't seem like the ECU is pulling timing, and I got no info on the DIC. The dealer is taking a look at it this afternoon, so we'll see what's up.

Calicadi, any idea what doing this software update entails?
    Sorry necros, it's just a one liner on the work order. No part number, just a work code reference number and the bulletin reference.
  • fav002fav002 Member Posts: 25
    I had the same issue with my early-build CTS a few weeks ago. Turned out to be the thermostat not allowing the engine to get up to the proper operating temp in time and setting a code. I'm curious to see what your dealer comes back with once they read the code...
    fav002 wins! It was the thermostat. They replaced it, and all appears well now. What is your build date? Mine is 30 June 2002. I wonder how many of us this affects.
    I have a 06/02 date

Still haven't brought it in to find out whats happening with the gas gauge