Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, if we had such a thing as a mayor, and if you guys wanted me to be your mayor, then I would be proud to be your mayor. :)

Thanks for being so kind in "nominating" me. If the qualifications for the job were to love Jeeps and to love the folks here in this group, then I certainly would meet the qualifications, huh?

If I don't get off the net here at work, I may need that job as mayor. Oh yeah, what does it pay? :)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I agree too..Tom for president..WISE choice..
    Guys looks like my Jeep Show next April is gonna be a reality.. Gotta talk to the city now.
    IM then..im gonna get started on it.
    Hopfully some of you guys that are close by can make the trip to BAMA.
    Topless & doorless today.. WHEW hot one today

KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA
  • madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    tsjay -- came across this on another board and thought you might be interested....

http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=004012

Sorry I haven't been around here much, been working nights for the last few months and my schedule is pretty hectic. Gotta take the rest whenever I can get it.

madman

THANK YOU! I have posted a reply and told the guy to email me and tell me what time to meet him! I have been down there the last two Saturdays and found no one to hook up with either time.

You da man! Thanks again.

Now, mad, work us in to your schedule. You ain't THAT busy are ya?

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Tom, congratulations on becoming Mayor of the Edmund's Jeep Message Board! I will also oficially nominate you for Mayor of Gill's chat room (with Gill being the president, of course).
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Count me in for coming over to Birmingham. Drop me a line with the date if you get something penciled in. There are a few guys in the ATL area I've been talking to so maybe we can have a mini convoy over there.
    -twylie
    I might just make it down there too. Ya gotta feed me good, if I do. :)

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ya gotta feed me good, if I do. :)

What do you regard as good Jeep cuisine? Or is that an oxymoron? ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    hi it's ben again with my jeep sasquatch. hollister hills is great it's like a hour from san jose ca. . i can do all the marked trails [not tank trap] and most unmarked ones. all in my stock jeep. theres a lot of cool people out there. we go out there every weekend . we're always looking for more jeeps to go with .we'll be out thre again on 7/20/02. we had to tow a blazer up a hill last weekend. it was funny watching the blazer try and go where i go. please evryone use those jeeps offroad . not to just look cool.
    Bama is the guy that does the barbequeing at his restaurant, so I am expecting some first class barbeque ribs, cole slaw, fries, and some home made pie for desert. Yum, yum!

Tom

Brother, if I lived out there, you could count me in on those trips to Hollister. I have a hard time finding someone to wheel with around here.

You said "It's Ben again?" I don't remember any previous posts by you, but maybe that one got by me. If you are new, then welcome to the group. We always like to have new folks join us here. Heck, the more posts, the more fun this place is. If you've been here before, then I apologize for missing your posts.

Post often! Come to Gills for some chatting.

Tom

OK, I found your previous post about using 4 lo, and I did reply. It was back on the 11th. I'm getting senile in my old age. Just have to make allowances for us old folks. :)

Although I replied back then, I didn't give you a Wranlger Welcome, so my welcome in the previous post still stands. Hope you will be a regular around here.

Tom

• kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    I am so excited that I got my new (to me) Wrangler. I did a lot of lurking here and also read all of the web sites I could find before I got my baby. I got a white/black interior 99 TJ. It has 45,000 miles on it. The dealership had a professional do a 3" body lift and the stance was widened 6". It feels less tippy than a stock one. It has the 4.0 and 5 speed. It was also fitted with Tubuler bumpers front and rear with matching nerf bars. Wet Okle seat covers, Stainless Steel accessories like the grill, door sill protectors, gas filler insert, and tail light protectors. They also put all new fendor flares and a new Best Top soft top with the darkerned windows. 33 inch Procomp Mud Terrain on Aluminum wheels top it off. I think 18,900 was a good deal for all that has been done. I have since added a K&N FIPK Conical Air intake kit, and a Borla Stainless steel Cat Back exhaust. Next will be edlebrock shocks. I am also looking into 3.73 or 4.11 gears (this is the expensive part). I would love to hear from anyone here who has done gears and see what they think? I have the 3.07 gears and with 33" tires 5th gear is not very useful and therefore my mileage is pretty bad! Here is a link to a web site with a picture of my new baby! http://home.mindspring.com/~kelleyo/index.html

I love the full doors as well and may get a hard top for winter driving (I can store it with a winch on the cieling of my garage in the summers.

I want to thank all of you for the discussions you have had here, it made my purchase decision very easy. By the way, I am 38 (to answer a previous survey).

My 8 year old son summed it up best when he said "Since all these other Jeep's keep waving at us does that make us Jeep People?" I said yep!

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Wheelerman - Sounds like fun! I don't get that far north very often - if I head that far away from home I head for the Sierras. I do occasionally wander around Hungry Valley, so if you ever get that far south, let me know.

kelleyo - Love your pictures. Now you should move to that cabin of yours full time! Then you would really have a reason for all those mods!
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Welcome to Wranglerdom!

That is quite a "cabin"!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That reminds me, I need to swing by Helen my next trip South and replenish my supply of Georgia "ice cream."

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    some where out there is a web site for hollister hills.it's fun to watch everyone mess there trucks up out in the mud pit. when i got my jeep back in may it had only 12,000 miles on it .now it has 20,000 miles on it . i love my sasquatch . only one day to 4x4 time . just look for the stock rust brown jeep . everyone take your jeeps out some where this weekend .
  • aztjboyaztjboy Member Posts: 14
    Welcome kelleyo! I too was a lurker for a looooooooong time before I was united with my TJ!

Yours sure is a beauty! It definitely is getting me itching to start bolting on some mods myself!

Eric

http://www.geocities.com/enanneman/TJ.html

Congrats on the jeep
    ****JEEP WAVE***
    Keep posting!!..
    ill let everyone know more about the JEEP show.
    starting to work out a few dates.
    Talked to my local jeep dealer, we sat down played with some idea on a Rubicon.
    Final price 28,680 Not as much as I thought
    Thats Dual tops, Radio, AC, Auto, sentry key, Deep Tint

PS Happy birthday to me.. well tomorrow 7/20 Please send all Bday money to my PayPal account LOL

Have a Great Day
    KEEP JEEPIN
    BAMA!
    Please send all Bday money to my PayPal account LOL

Please! No solicitation on tbe Town Hall boards! ;-)

tidester
    Host
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    kelleyo
    Welcome to the board.
    Sounds like a nice Jeep.
    Do you have the 4 banger or 6? I have 3.73s with my 6 cyc. on 32s. I am about to go to 33s or 34s with 4.56s. I would think you should go with 4.10s for better highway use or 4.56s for better crawling off-road. If you are going to be doing any off-roading you should consider putting limited slips or lockers front and rear when you have the gearing done to save on labor cost.

Bama and anybody else interested in a CB setup. I copied this guys setup and I like it.

http://www.flash.net/~ffoster/frames.htm

Happy Birthday Bama
    I was going to send you some cash for mods but tidester said he would ban me if I did. ;)
    We need to discuss this AL BBQ also. My brother had some interesting things to say about it.
    WELL..tidester
    No cake for you then..
    Thanx for the link texas.. Thats a GREAT idea for a CB placement.
    I might go that route looks VERY easy to do too.
    I like that CB too. Just because It can quick connect.Im gonna look tomorrow to see if that will work with AUTO tranny.

KeepJeepin
    BAMA
    WELCOME! And, CONGRATS on the Jeep!

Those white Jeeps with black tops are gorgeous, huh? :) (might be a little prejudiced on that one)

Now be a regular and frequent poster here. You said you have gained info here, so now you can share the things you learn with the rest of us and with those who may be "lurking" like you did.

Once again, congratulations, and please keep posting. Join us in gill's for some jeep chats!

Tom

I will be wheelin' tomorrow, so I will wish you a happy birthday tonight...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BAMA!

Tom

WELL..tidester
    No cake for you then..

Now that is crossing the line! Bribing the hosts is not ... um ... what flavor is it, BTW?? ;-)

Happy Birthday!

tidester
    Host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Back from the wilderness of Kentucky. Could not believe the number of Wranglers that I saw in northern Ky. One time I saw 4 while waiting at a traffic light.

Stopped by the TSJAY homestead for a few hours and his wife was kind enough to feed me. She makes a mean peach cobbler. Saw the doily in its place of honor, Thelma Jane, Ross Allen, Black Dog, and the Mayor. Even got to drive Thelma Jane for a bit. There is some pretty country there with some great roads for running topless. Thelma Jane is cleaner than my Jeep was when I bought it.

Thanks to all who were concerned about my father. He is doing better now, but has a long way to go.

Congrats to all the new Wrangler owners out there.

Left Jean home alone while I was gone and she managed to buy an Explorer Sport Trac. She is doing the paper work tomorrow, so much for me talking her into a Jeep Liberty.

Happy birthday Bama. What kind of Jeep stuff did the wife get for you?
    Glad ya made it home safely. You're welcome to stop by again any time.

Ross Allen says "Hi."

Tom

mtngal: Would love to go to the cabin full time. But I gots to earn money :(((

aztjboy:Love that Yellow TJ. One thing My Wifey wanted was a brighter color. The guy who did my TJ customizations calls it the "Discovery look(like the space shuttle) since it is white, black, silver and has US flags on the sides of the engine bay!

Texas: I have the 4.0 six. I have been to the web site that allows you to calculate the right gears for a given tire size and I agree that 4.10's are the best. Looks like I will have to change the carrier to fit them though. The quote I have is for around $2000 (parts and labor). Sound high?

Bama: Happy b-day neighbor (I live in Atlanta).

TSJAY: If I learn something new or useful I will post for sure. I can tell you that the K&N FIPK and Borla Cat back combo transformed the Jeep. More grunt and great sounds! Looks a lot better than a rusted out OEM tail pipe too!
    any of you guys from san jose ca.? we always need some jeeps to 4 wheel with. dose anyone hove 31s on a stock tj? if so do thay rub at full flex with swaybar undon? have you put your jeep in 4 lo this week?
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Well, first off...still no Jeep but I'm workin on it....and BigK you're probably right about who'll get one first but as you well know it'll be worth all of the tortured time I'll have to wait.

Next, well I finally got up the nerve and after filling out the application for the teacher's aide position in my school district (as those of you at Gill's may know), it was turned in Thursday. The woman that took the application then said, "Ok now when can we schedule you for a video interview?" VIDEO INTERVIEW?!!! Oh man, I must have had that deer caught in the headlights look :) I've never done a video interview and my moment of panic has passed....for now. I hope I can get the job....I really wanna get out of that print shop. I'm tired and going to work every day is a real struggle. I hope that this will get my foot in the door for an Art teaching position when I'm done with school.

Most Importantly though...CONGRATS TO THE NEW JEEPSTERS :) It's worth the wait isn't it? I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Sienna Jeep on the lot...no luck yet :(

Well, gotta go...

Hug your Jeeps for me til I get mine ;)

dwrangler
    I have wondered if those FIPKs do much of anything. You got both the FIPK and the Cat Back at the same time? Wonder if you got most of the increase in HP from the FIPK or the Cat Back?

Just how much difference did the combo make? Was it a really noticeable difference in power? I know it must sound good with the Cat Back.

How bout posting a few more details about these two mods?

Thanks

Tom

OK, I told you last night, but since that wasn't officially your birthday, here ya go...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY!

Tom

You probably know this, but to get back to your factory RPMs with those 33's, you would want to go with 4.10 gearing. Like Tex said, your logical choices would be 4.10 or 4.56. If you think you might go to 35" tires sometime, then I would recommend the 4.56 gears from all the stuff I have read (4.56 puts you at factory RPMs for 35's). You don't want to have to regear a second time.

Also, like Tex said, you can save some money on labor by having lockers installed at the time of regearing rather than at some other time.

Tom

tsjay: I learned a few good things about intakes from other cars I have had. #1 Straight pipes or long bends are much better than right angles for flow. #2 Metal pipes are bad since the get very hot and therefore heat up the intake charge; Cold air is denser. #3 Flat Panel K&N's are good if they flow more than the throttle body but if the box they are in is too restrictive it won't help much. #4 Conicals look and sound the best.

Here is a before and after pic of a TJ http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/kn_fipk_tj/page2.asp

Notice the hard angles and flex hose (bad for air flow) on the OEM piece Versus the nice flowing bends of the FIPK. The FIPK comes with a heat shield too. I installed it myself in under an hour. It uses the original holes. I had a little truble since I have a body lift. Since the engine sits further down in the car the bolt holes were further away. Suffice it to say that a 4" body lift would pose a problem. 3" was ok.

FIPK advanmtages are also that you can easily put the oem goodies back in if you are worried about emissions or warranty issues.

Sorry about the spelling in the previous post. I will use the spell checker from now on!

I got both the FIPK and Borla from Summit racing after scouring the web for the bst price.

I took the jeep to My local Mineke place (these guys have done other jobs for me like magnaflow duels on a V8 Taurus SHO). Took him about 45 minutes and $75 to do the install. Looks awesome. Sounds great! It is not too loud and has a nice burble, especially downshiftng or engine braking. It used the stock hangers as well.

Since my car is not under warranty anymore I am considering a borla stainless header and a hi-flow cat as well to make it an end to end system.

If I was still under warranty I would leave it like it is.

Both of these were installed the same day so unfortunatly I have no way to tell from the butt dyno which had more of an effect...

Anyone ever install a chip or hi flo throttle body?
    TSJAY, Yep 4.10 is the way to go. Want I am trying to find out is if 2k is too much for parts and labor to do this?

Being new to 4wd, please explain lockers to me. I hear about them all of the time but I am not exactly sure what they are... Is it to lock the diffs? Dosen't my jeep already do that in 4wd hi or lo?

Thanks in advance!
    a locker makes it so both wheels turn at the same time .so not just one wheel is spining. when you put in 4wd that just puts power to the front wheels .
    Thanx for the Bday wishes, I appreciate that

No jeep presents...Just going out to eat tomorrow, maybe a movie.

Kellyo. Howdy neighbor.. Twylie is in Atlanta area too.. I bought my JEEP in Atlanta(Jasper Jeep)

im shooting for April 19, 2003 for my jeep show.

Gonna start working out all the legal stuff..

i think im going to install the remote CB in tazz. I can install it under the gear shift console. Where is the best place to mount the antenna?

Keep JEEPIN
    BAMA
    Thanks for the info on FIPK and Cat Back.

As far as the cost of regearing, $2000 sounds way high to me from posts I have read on a bulletin board that I will not name here (out of respect for our gracious hosts, Edmunds).

If ya want to email me, I will give you the name of the bulletin board, but you will probably have already been there. It's one of the more well known ones.

As wheelerman answered your question, lockers are devices that make both wheels on the same axle turn, even when one loses traction. They make a WORLD of difference in your offroad capabilities, but I don't have them yet. I am running open differentials front and back.

There are automatic lockers and selectable lockers. The automatic lockers are engaged all the time and are cheaper. They ratchet when the vehicle is in a turn, since the outside wheel has to turn faster than the inside wheel in a turn. This ratcheting is sometimes rather loud and sometimes doesn't free up the outside wheel fast enough, so you get some squirrelly behavior on pavement with them. I have no personal experience, but I have read tons of posts and have asked questions about them. I believe these automatic lockers start at about $250 for something like a Lockright.

The selectable lockers are way more expensive, and the two main types that I am aware of are the ARBs and the Ox lockers. The ARBs are air actuated, so you need a compressor and tank. The OX lockers are cable actuated, and you would have buttons inside the cabin to pull or push or whatever to engage them. The advantage of the selectable lockers is that they can be disengaged for highway driving, and you don't get the noise and the ill behavior that an automatic locker would have. I would love to have selectables on Thelma Jane some day!

Tom

• thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Happy Birthday Bama!!! Hope it was agood one!
    Deb, good luck on getting the new job. Just relax in the video interview and be yourself. You'll be fine!
    thanx kahuna..
    Tom thanx for the e-card.. Tell RA thanx too
    IM Really dumb when it come to wiring thngs..
    how do you actually do it?. Just shove the hot lead in the fuse & ground the other? or can I splice the hot wire to another hot wire..
    I know..im a little dumb.
    Twylie. I know your the Stereo genius..help me

Happy bday to me
    BAMA!
  • rickagoodmanrickagoodman Member Posts: 11
    Hey man, happy birthday from your fellow Alabamian. I hope it was a good one. I'm glad to hear that the Jeep show is progressing. I'm definitely still planning on being a part of it once I get mine which should be in plenty of time for the show.

Later,

Rick
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    OK, so my seven year old and I are driving into town to play a a little Putt Putt golf. At his request we're in my five-speed '99 Sahara(fitted with 31.5s on Canyon wheels). At a red light I pull up next to a "customized" Dodge Stratus R/T. It's got all of the tacky mods that are so popular these days: grotesque ground effects, basket handle deck spoiler, chrome wheels, "tuner" stickers, and-of course-the obligatory Folger's can muffler/exhaust tip. I'm sitting there with the top up and the A/C on(it was hot and HUMID in Louisville today) while the Stratus' shaved-head driver has his window down resting a heavily tatooed arm on the window sill. I hear Stratus dude revving his engine and I also notice that he's creeping forward- anticipating the green light. So I figure what the heck- when the light goes green I nail the throttle. So does the Stratus(with my cloth top I can easily hear his flatulent bumblebee exhaust). I pull ahead by a car length in first, and add another half a car in both second and third. Now thoroughly humiliated, the red-faced Dodge Boy backs off the loud pedal, gives me a dirty look, and oh-so-slowly turns off at a side street. I guess I taught him not to mess with a SERIOUS street machine...;)
    If he wants a rematch, make it off the pavement, then you can REALLY show him who's boss! :)

Tom

Man, I have no personal experience, since I got the hard top only, but from EVERYTHING I have heard and read, you should defintely run one top or the other and not leave the Jeep like it comes from the factory. That is for shipping purposes only.

That's all I can tell ya, but I would follow the factory recommendation and take the soft top off, if you want the hard top on.

Tom

we see alot of customized jeeps with chrome this and that that never leave the street. it's like thay buy them to look cool . my jeep gets a good work out every weekend. we had a lot fun at hollister hills again. this guy we met there took his jeep in to the mud pit like 5 times! the guy was nuts.
    Remember my Bud at work, Mike, that had caught Wrangler Fever? I asked you guys to post messages of encouragement for him to go ahead and get a Jeep, and some of you did.

Well, with less than 12 hours to go on the auction, Mike is currently high bidder on a 97 Sport on Ebay!

Go Mikey!

Tom

Thats what I bought my jeep for..
    Too look cool.. :)
    Tazz never sees Dirty..ewww

I know im not a jeep purist..but hey

Tom tell MIKE congrats... I wish hi luck

Thanx RICK..we need to get together on sunday afternoon.. let ya see tazz..

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
    If you don't take Tazz wheelin', I'm going to turn you in to the S.P.C.J.! (That's the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Jeeps).

Tom

Have you wheeled your Jeep today?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, one reason I have a TJ is the fact that we live on a small farm at the end of a 1/2 mile driveway. When it snows a foot or two, it doesn't get plowed- so I want something that will get me out no question asked. That's where I'll have the rematch...;)