Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• pmcppmcp Member Posts: 8
    Have a 03 and my Offff Star stinks !!! Live near Chicago with good pick up points. Machine does not understand 2 all the time. My other car, a 04 GMC Envoy works great. Have called operator many, many time and some times they feeeel sorry and dial for me. Called service and they state no, NO, NO updates. I feeeeel that they FIXED the 04 and will not admit, sooooo won't FIX 03s!!!
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    After a month of my dealer calling OnStar it is finally working in my 04 CTS. And they have given me 200 extra minutes and an extra 3 months of service.
    The first problem was that the wrong number had been programed into the vehicle and thus nothing worked. Every now and then pressing the blue button would connect but OnStar could only hear me. They could not locate the vehicle or see who I was. Finally my dealer told me to come in and working with OnStar they reprogramed the number and gave me back the car. Now OnStar could see me and I could call out but no one could call me. The dealer got after them again and OnStar began calling me direct. Finally they did something by remote control and finally I could receive calls in the car.
    A final twist to make life more interrrresting. When I call home, even from my driveway, I have to use the full number as if I were calling long distance. But when my wife calls me from home she must call as if it were a local call. Also the speaker button on the steering wheel does some things and not others. As I can't remember what the hell it does and doesn't do I have given up on that feature and always use the white button on the mirror.
    With this experience I am happy to have bought locally even if it cost a few bucks more. (But I don't think it did)!
  • richerryricherry Member Posts: 19
    I have had similar problems on my 2004 CTS I bought last Aug.Had a similar problem with my car number.
    They gave me 200 minutes for a year which is up soon. Not going to renew. I spent HOURS talking to them and had to have the car running.

I got to service last week and they started a new record, they told me to put a 1 in front of local numbers as the people I called from my drive way came in busy,

Did not work and I can see the Sprint tower from my house and I am on the top of a hill.

The ON Star cell phone is once again, not worth the powder to blow it to hell.

I can call with my analog/digital phone from the car and it works great.

THEY PROMISED AN Analog/Digital phone in the 2004 cts AND IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED last Dec according to service.

Everybody call them and force a recall!!!!
    Ray
  • monte44monte44 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are considering buying the CTS, but we are concerned about the RWD in the snow (we live in Mass, travel to Maine frequently). For anyone living in a cold weather area, what has your experience been with the RWD? If you've had a bad experience, would you recommend any other vehicle over the CTS and why?

C
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    The CTS has traction control standard and also has a button on the console that puts the car into "winter driving mode". It starts in 3rd gear, I think. You really should have no problem.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Buy good snow tires, get traction control and/or stability control and you'll be fine.
    It sounds as if we have two different systems in our cars as mine works great now that my dealer has all the bugs taken out. By the way I bought the car in Vero Beach FL where I am now. I have all my calls entered as long distance starting with 1 and they all go through just fine. Doesn't matter if I am calling the house from the driveway or calling CT. And, by the way, OnStar tells me that my phone IS analog digital. It seems to me your dealer should get this taken care of for you rather than you having to try and take care of it yourself. Aside from OnStar calling me a couple of times I didn't have to do anything to get the phone fixed. Dealer did it all.
    Call from dealer this morning. There is a recall to install a washer on a lower control arm. Going in Monday to have it taken care of.
    There are several ways to tell what type of equipment comes on an OnStar-equipped vehicle:

a. Look for the label on GM vehicles

Most OnStar-equipped GM vehicles have an OnStar window label that indicates which of three different systems is integrated into the vehicle. Refer to question #4 for additional information.

b. Refer to this chart

What you do... If the system responds... Then the vehicle's equipment is...

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button button

(If there is no white-dot or phone button, the vehicle has an analog-only system.) "Ready" Analog-Only

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button

Step #2: Say "Help" "OnStar Ready"

The system replies with up to 14 options, such as "Dial," "Call," "Directory," and "Virtual Advisor." Analog/Digital-Ready

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button

Step #2: Say "Help" "OnStar Ready"

Along with other options, you hear one of these digital-specific options: "Advisor Playback," "Digit Dial" or "Digit Store." Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital)

So which one do you have ?? They claim I have analog only. Will check mine again.

Ray
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    I'm one who has posted good opinions about my CTS's performance in snow. I agree with comments about good snow tires and traction control, but there are dissenting opinions from some. The earlier description of the snow mode is correct, but it is not intended for continued use. (So don't misunderstand that it is a substitute for 4-wheel or all-wheel drive.)
    You might want to use the search capability of this site and search for "snow" to see all the relevant postings.
    Checked mine today. It is analog/didital-READY.

What does READY mean, is is analog now BUT in 2007 they will have a converter at my cost.

You have to wait until 2006 to get a CTS with didital installed!!!!!!!

A TERRIBLE SITUATION.

Ray
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    See my posts 5020, 5021, 5171 and 5261 for experience in snow over 2 full winters in Ontario, Canada. In short, I'd recommend good snow tires all around, and Stabilitrak, which I believe is included with the Sport handling package as well as the 1SC "Lux Sport" package. Generally, good performance on par with FWD and good all-season tires.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    Can anyone provide more info on this recall? Which models are affected? Do you know the recall number? Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in speaking with former BMW owners or enthusiasts who have found an alternative to BMW. If you would be interested in speaking with this reporter about why you now prefer a different vehicle, please forward your contact information to Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com. Please respond by end-of-day Friday, August 27. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 04V273000

Recall Date: JUN 09, 2004

Component: STEERING:LINKAGES

Potential Units Affected: 41,928 Models built between 01/08/04 and 04/20/04

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES INVOLVED IN THIS CAMPAIGN, THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL STUD NUT/WASHER ASSEMBLIES WITH WASHERS WERE MADE OF THE WRONG MATERIAL. THE WASHERS MAY FRACTURE AND BECOME LOOSE OR FALL AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE, REDUCING CLAMP LOAD. SEPARATION OF THE CONTROL ARM BALL STUD AND STEERING KNUCKLE, DUE TO DISENGAGEMENT OF THE TAPERED ATTACHMENT AND RETAINING NUT, IS POSSIBLE.

Consequence:
    IF THE CONTROL ARM SEPARATES FROM THE KNUCKLE, THE AFFECTED CORNER OF THE VEHICLE WILL DROP AND THE CONTROL ARM WOULD BE FORCED DOWNWARD, CONTACTING THE WHEEL. THE AFFECTED WHEEL COULD TILT OUTWARD AND CREATE A DRAGGING ACTION THAT WOULD TEND TO SLOW THE VEHICLE AND CREATE A TENDENCY FOR THE VEHICLE TO TURN IN THE DIRECTION OF THE AFFECTED WHEEL. IN EXTREME SITUATIONS, THE AFFECTED WHEEL ASSEMBLY COULD SEPARATE FROM THE VEHICLE. SEPARATION OF THE WHEEL ASSEMBLY WOULD ALSO SEVER THAT WHEEL;S HYDRAULIC BRAKE HOSE AND RESULT IN DIMINISHED BRAKING PERFORMANCE OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    GM HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY OR OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339 OR CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Notes:
    GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 04043

GM's replies:

Q1: What is the condition that prompted a safety recall?
    A1: Some 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles have lower control arm ball stud nut/washer assemblies with washers made of the wrong steel material.

Q2: What impact does this condition have on the vehicle?
    A2: The washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle. This could cause separation of the lower control arm from the knuckle, resulting in the loss of vehicle control.

Q3: What might occur as a result of this condition?
    A3: If front control arm separation occurs, the affected corner of the vehicle could drop and the control arm may be forced downward, contacting the wheel. This would slow the vehicle down and create a tendency for the vehicle to turn in the direction of the affected corner.

For the XLR and Corvette, if rear control arm separation occurs, there could be unpredictable right or left lateral forces at the rear of the vehicle. Although steering of the front wheels would be unaffected, control of the vehicle might be difficult.

Q4: Can the driver maintain control of the vehicle?
    A4: The driver could maintain some steering control of the unaffected front wheel(s), however control would be diminished. The braking system would continue to be functional. If the separation of the wheel assembly severs the wheel's hydraulic brake hose, this may result in increased stopping distance.

Q5: How would a customer realize the condition exists?
    A5: Fracture of the washer may occur unexpectedly without prior indication to the vehicle operator.

Q6: Have there been any incidents related to this condition?
    A6: GM is aware of four incidences of the condition occurring.

Q7: Have there been any reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition?
    A7: There have been no reports of crashes or injuries related to this condition.

Q8: How was this condition discovered?
    A8: A fractured washer was discovered at the assembly plant.

Q9: Why was the washer made of the wrong steel material?
    A9: GM is investigating how the suspect washers were stamped with the wrong material.

Q10: Is it possible that vehicles built before January 8 and after April 20, 2004 may have the suspect washers?
    A10: These are the start and stop dates of vehicles built with the suspect washers. GM purged its supply of nut/washer assemblies received from the supplier and replaced them with nut/washer assemblies made of certified materials.

Q11: Where were these vehicles built?
    A11: The Cadillacs involved in this recall were built at the General Motors assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan (Grand River plant) and the Corvettes were assembled in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Q12: What will GM do to correct this condition on the subject vehicles?
    A12: Cadillac and Chevrolet dealers will inspect the ball stud joints and measure the torque of the nut for all lower control arms in all models affected as well as the rear lower control arms on the XLR and Corvette. If the torque is not at specification, the dealers will replace the ball stud, the knuckle, and the nut. If the torque is at specification, the dealers will replace the nut assembly only. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.

Q13: Are parts at the dealers, and can customers bring in their vehicles for repair right away?
    A13: No. The recall will begin during the third quarter of 2004.

Q14: Is the vehicle safe to drive?
    A14: The 2004 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles involved in this recall meet all federal safety standards.
    Here is what the invoice says. "Recall 04043 Lower control arm washer". They installed two 10282253 Nut 6.164.

Is this of any help to you?
  • jrcasejrcase Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have the NEW UPGRADED rear differential part number for the CTS (3.6 V6). I had mine replaced and wanted to confirm that I did indeed get the new upgraded unit. I hope I did not get the old type. Thanks in advance.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to skutter and tetedepierre for the information on the CTS steering recall. It appears my 03 is not involved, but good to have the peace of mind. This is a great example of the value of this forum - "drivers helping drivers".
  • glewardgleward Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a used 2003 with all the bells and whistles. Currently my NAV system onlyhas the south eastern NAV CD. Did you CTS come with more location or Cd's? How would you obvtain more locations?
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The '03 CD nav system comes with a complete set of 9 CDs covering the lower 48 states. A complete set can be purchased from a dealer parts department but will cost about $1,300 if I remember correctly. The single CD for Canada cost me about $300.

You might try to find a set on E-bay. You might also attempt to contact the original owner through the dealer from whom you purchased the car to see if he/she still has the CDs, as they are useless without the nav system.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    another reason to consider a stand-alone GPS.

I've used Garmin very successfully over the past 3-4 years, and their mapping/direction software doesn't cost anything like the numbers you're quoting.

Besides which, the device I can use in either of our cars at home can be brought along on a business trip (as I'm doing now) and used in the rental.

GPS capability is wonderful. I remain to be convinced that a dedicated system is a good idea. It may be expensive, but at least you can't take it with you.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Gee, Steve - I kinda thought you'd be a paper map guy - if you know what I mean.......
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Touche (lacking the accent capability), Allen.

Much recent technology is more trouble than it's worth, but GPS doesn't fall into that category. In spite of my hard-earned ability to do coastal marine navigation, celestial marine navigation and (drum roll) mapwise ground navigation, the GPS rules.

GPS has rendered my ability to navigate most vehicles anywhere, anytime completely irrelevant. Any moron (including me) can buy a little box (for as little as $350, per my earlier post) that makes traditional navigating ability moot.

Point (still) being, why do people think it makes sense to pay 6X or more to have the thing in the dashboard?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Regarding cost and reasons:

The current cost of a built in system is less than 2X the cost of the nearest equivalent Garmin system (less than $1,800 for the built in versus $1,200 for the latest Garmin with features equivalent). In 2002 when I purchased my CTS their was no system on the market with the screen size or features of the built in system.

As to reasons to buy the built in system a major point is aesthetics. I do not care to have a screen sitting on top of the dashboard where it looks odd and blocks my view; and a GPS receiver attached somewhere else, both with power and data wires trailing about. I also think that if you leave the vehicle parked in public site you must disconnect and store everything or risk having the vehicle broken in to steal the exposed equipment.

These of course are my personal feelings and others may well see it otherwise.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wow, 14 days without a post.
    That is a new record, or perhaps a new low for the CTS thread.

Wanted to add that there were some changes for the
    '05 V6 engine.

New chain and front cover to quiet the engine down a little.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    For that 2.8 pricing. Nothing like waiting till the last second to release it.
    With Francis on the way Had to abandon Vero Beach and drive to Atlanta to find a room! The car drove beautifully and I noticed that cross winds didn't seem to bother me half as much as other vehicles. Also absolutely no leaks from driving rain. Of course as soon as we crossed the border into Georgia OnStar ceased working and I began getting a cellular roaming message. Got ahold of customer service and they fixed it where I was staying but the same thing happened again when I sarted home and got out of the immediate area. Customer service is as helpful as they can be and I just called them and had them do the dialing for me. Ran into a couple of occasions where I had to input numbers for computer answering and they did this for me too.

Great to be able to use regular gas. Wonder why this is never mentioned as an advantage of the CTS over competition.
    Got a mailing from my dealer wanting me to bring the car in for a 3000 mile checkup. I think this is completely unneccesary. My intention is to bring it in when the oil needs changing at about 10000 miles. Any comments?
  • montehoolumontehoolu Member Posts: 5
    Just got a 2004 CTS today. Dealer gave me a quick run through of the personalization settings. However, at one point I saw "personalization off" flash on the screen. Now, at home, when I tried to go back to set things up, "personalization" isn't even listed as a selection. I checked the manual and this discussion, even played the CD to see if I could find anything on bringing it back. Anybody know anything on this and how to get it back on the menu listing?
  • tmacguytmacguy Member Posts: 37
    I discovered by chance that I can lock the car while keeping either corner lights on for safety. Like you leave the left side front and rear coner lights when parked on a right curb. I do not knot know if I am making my self clear here. I know BMWs had this ability for some years, but this is the first time I see this on an american car. While the car is parked and keys off, simply put the turn signal lever to the right or left, your corner light will be on accordingly.

My car is an export 2003 CTS (3.2L), is this frature on the US cars too?
    No, it doen't do it on my US 2004 CTS. I can put both parking lights on by rotating the switch into the park position though.
    If I turn on my radio,and punch the right button a menu appears on the screen. Then if I scroll by turning the right button eventually I'll come upon the word "Settings". If I punch the button again the second word in the list is "Personalization". Punch the button to check it and away you go.

My Cadillac dealer must be head and shoulders above most. I had a similar problem and they have a guy assigned just to help new owners with this type of thing. I went back and he spent an hour with me helping me set things up.
  • montehoolumontehoolu Member Posts: 5
    Found out the problem -- "personalization" option reappears when the engine is on. The engine was on when the dealer showed me but it was also 90 outside so it needed to be on. If I remember, the manual says the engine DOESN'T have to be on.
    Caddy needs a help site like those who sell computer programs. . .my last two (a '70 coupe, last of the fins, and an '84 Eldo w/a 65K engine) were much simpler. But this one still blows them away.
    To operate the radio functions the engine does not need to be running. However, the ignition switch has to be set to 'on' for the radio to operate, except for 10 minutes after the ignition is turned 'off' as long as none of the doors is opened.
  • supernursemansupernurseman Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the 2004 CTS. I test drove the 300 Touring and was greatly disappointed. I feel the Led Zeppelin commercials totally represent what this car does--Rock and Roll!
    They are working on the roads here (Vero beach) even more now after hurricane Francis. Washed the car today and the amount of tar thrown up by the front wheels is unbelievable. Thinking of putting on mud flaps. Only ones I find on the web are Power Flow 6401 at the astronomical price of $12.95! Has anyone put flaps on a 2004 CTS? Is it hard to do? Does it ruin the appearance of the car? Any input will be appreciated.
    Congrats on your new CTS. I bought mine in July(a May 1994 build) and am delighted with it. I have a diamond white with sports package and all the goodies except a Nav System. What did you get?
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    They do work . They dont look to good . Dont drill any metal to install them . Its up to you !
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I had mudflaps (more like splash guards) installed on my 03 CTS. They were installed by a friend (free) who rebuilds and customizes antique (model T's) cars as a hobby. I think they look pretty good, a nice touch if you will.

They are fastened with plastic rivets. Black in color, rounded on both ends, and hang down about 4 inches. They actually look like they were made with the car. I had it done because I drive through a lot of construction areas with loose gravel. They do serve the purpose.

They look so natural, that once I lost a rivet and while in for an oil change, I asked the service rep to see if they could replace it, and they did it without any questions. I thought they would at least ask where I got them, or charge me, but they didn't. I don't think they noticed because I had other custom work done.

If you have one in your area, Vogue may be able to add them for you, they added my dual exhaust system which also looks and sounds very nice. The one in my area is known for the custom (pricy) fabrications they produce.

thebug...
  • shadowjackshadowjack Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if any of you fellow 2004 CTS owners with automatic transmissions have noticed this problem: At around 20 mph, I start to hear a low-pitched warbling noise from the back of the car. The noise becomes more of a constant tone or faint howl that increases in pitch as I go faster. It disappears around 50 mph. The only time I hear it, however, is when I am lightly pressing the accelerator. I hear no such noise if I'm coasting or accelerating moderately. Anyone else have a similar experience? If so, what did your dealer say about it? Thank you very much.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I have the same sound (whine) on my 2003 CTS. I have taken to the dealer, but cannot duplicate since my car needs to be driven for several hours before the noise appears. The dealer says they are unaware of a problem. I have read (cadillacowners.com) that other CTS owners have had their differentials replaced, in some cases it corrected the problem and some cases the problem returned. My warranty runs out in 5,000 miles so I will probably live with the noise. I plan to trade cars in the spring of 2005 and might get another CTS as I like the car. I understand the whine problem has been corrected in the 2005 CTS. The rear end whine is one of several disappointments I have with my CTS, but I love the looks, handling and acceleration.
  • shadowjackshadowjack Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear yours is so hard to duplicate. Maybe it's a mixed blessing that mine isn't -- mine does it all the time, even though I have less than 3,000 miles on the car.
    It's the differential. Had the same problem with my Aviator. Mine only occurred between 55 and 65 mph and only with the accelerator engaged. Turned out they used the wrong oil at the factory. I'm sure they'll figure out the problem and issue a TSB once and for all.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    2.8 V6 base price - $30,695.
    "2.8 V6 base price - $30,695."

Dang! That's a couple of G's more than I was hoping for and less than $2K under the 3.6. Not enough off, IMO.
    The base 3.6 is now $32,945.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    You could get a base BMW 3 cheaper than that!

I think i remember Lutz saying that he does not want cadilac cars to be considerred good deals or something like that, implying under 30,000 is not an option. So I guess we are going to see three things happen here,

1.) the CTS will have more rebates
    2.) the CTS could, if GM is slow on the rebates, sell less or grow sales at a slower rate YTD next year to this.
    3.) loose resale value faster than it currently does, a direct consequence of rebates

Hey Lutz, i know your in the business and all, but if you wanna establish prestige, you don't do it through overpricing and rebates. You'l keep a better image with reasonable prices and no rebates. They are acceptable in chevys, not in Cadillac's.
    I think I have to disagree on this one. Sales are ahead of last years pace.

02 37976
    03 49392
    04 43064 with three months to go.

I do not remember exactly but I believe resale for the CTS is pretty strong. And there have not been many rebates. Time will tell.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    There haven't been sizeable CTS incentives in 18 months.

Right now, 04's have 0/36, 2.9/48 and 3.9/60 financing or $1k cash back. '05's have 1.9/36, 2.9/48, and 3.9/60 financing and no rebates at all. Car is a bonafide hit and is selling well, so they can afford to raise prices. The new 2.8 will be at the lower end, so they'll probably keep the price-sensitive customer in that model.

--Robert
    1) perhaps a base BMW is worth less.
    2) what is the basis of your exalted knowledge of automobile sales that you know better than the professionals at Cadillac what sales tactics to use?
    I can tell you that as someone that was very interested in the 2.8, I've completely lost interest at only $2K differential... I'd go for the 3.6.

"perhaps a base BMW is worth less."

Well, I'll take the CTS over the 3-Series anytime.... but I'd take a base STS over a loaded CTS. The new STS is really sweet.