Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• pbeerspbeers Posts: 26
    tmacguy - congrats on your purchase. I was also originally looking at getting a V6 SRX but ended up buying a V8 AWD model instead. Now 14K miles later, it still runs great exactly like the day we got it. A smile on my face every time I drive it. Enjoy -
  • Has anyone driven a CTS with the new 2.8 engine. Cadillac is not even mentioning it on their website.
  • I took delivery of the SRX V8 AWD yesterday. WOOOOOOOwwwww is all that I can say. I am 43 years old and never felt that impressed with a car as this one in my life, not even my '03 CTS I bought some 2 years ago. Maybe because it is a SUV I expected a SUV ride, but the SRX ride is not what I expected, nothing prepared me to the buity and feel of this car. I can't stop driving this car, so smooth, so quite and so solid. Even my CTS had some plastic squeeks since day 1, but not this SRX. And the bigest surprise of all.... the door slams so simply and so quitly. My brother had to reclose 3 times thinking that the door did not shut, but it did, not a single US car ever acheived this.

My brother drives '03 MB ML5.5 AMG (yes for sure) and while he did not step on the gas (not with under 30 Mi on the odo) he told me it drove smoother and quiter than the MB and it felt as responsive (at partial throtles).

Do you think the SRX will ever have a chance against the 340HP AMG. MT shows the SRX AWD blowing the doors off all SUV that came its way in a recent online comparo. But MT pitted an ML 5, not ML 5.5 AMG.

Nonotheless, I am having a big smile while driving and I am turning heads where ever I go, THeSRX is still a pretty rare seen on Saudi streets, so peeople do look on it.

Thanks pbeers, I see why you are having this smile after 14k. And so glad I bought the V8, i would have been wishing i did every second I would have been behind the v6.

Sorry guys for such long non CTS topic, but the forum is too slow now and I do own a CTS, so I am a club member too.

Cheers
  • I have an 04 CTS with the gray colored bezel. I want to have it replaced with the body colored bezel. Is it mandatory that they replace it or does it vary by dealership because my local dealership refuses to replace it? Suggestions?? Comments???? Thanks!!!
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    My selling dealer wouldnt swap it . I went to another dealer (closer) . Took the service manager 2 seconds to see it had interior moisture and said it needed to be replaced . Needless to say I have found my new Cadillac dealer .
  • Thanks wwhite2!! My local dealership wouldn't replace it, im gonna try my selling dealership. Hopefully they hook me up since I bought it from them.
  • pbeerspbeers Posts: 26
    Glad to hear it tmacguy - what you said is EXACTLY how I felt after driving the V8. It's just a great vehicle, with a very solid feel about it (the doors do have a bank vault feel, don't they?). The new Northstar DOHC V8 is a great engine, extremely smooth at any RPM. Cadillac did a great job with the SRX.

p.s. apologies to the regular forum for the non-CTS post - it is still the Sigma chassis, right?
  • cu95cu95 Posts: 96
    Just to follow up on my post at the start of winter, I wanted to say that the snow tires (Blizzak WS50s) made a *big* difference this winter over last year using the original all-weathers. It's not a perfect comparison, since this winter has been milder than last, but I've only had two instances where I had material loss of traction (and one of those was during that intense snow storm a few weekends back) compared to numerous traction problems last year.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview someone who recently bought a large sedan such as a Mercedes E-Class, Lexus LS 430, Mercury Crown Victoria or any large Cadillac or Lincoln.

Please send your daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, February 11, 2005.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    Haven't been back here for more than a year, about six months left on a three year lease of an '03 CTS LuxSport, with about 44k miles. Really have enjoyed the car, very little trouble, everything works. But I want to swap cars with my wife off and on for a few months to keep the CTS within the 50K warranty before I turn it in, and had trouble getting her to drive the CTS because of what she considers excessively heavy steering, especially at slow speeds. I've complained about to my dealer a few times to no avail, once being told it was due to low tire pressure. A search here reveals a number of you agree that the steering is "artificially" heavy, especially on the '03, and a Caddy service writer once admitted that I was not alone in my complaint, that he had heard the same thing from other CTS owners.

Now for the interesting part.

The other day I started getting a message (on the radio message center) whenever I would start up the car, "Service Steering Sys." I took the car in and again complained about the heavy steering, in addition to the message. The fix on the service message was to replace a solenoid in the power steering. I don't know if there is more than one, or what it does, but, lo and behold, the steering is much, much improved, so much so that I now have no trouble getting my wife to swap cars. I suspect the solenoid activates the variable PS at slow speeds, and perhaps the specs on newer cars, and on replacement solenoids, are different. I don't know, just a guess.

In any event, I thought I would mention it for what it may be worth, in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
  • The struts that support the trunk on my 2004 CTS have been weak from the getgo. Had them replaced under warranty and the new ones are mich stronger and hold the lid up much better. A really minor thing but thoughr I would share it.
  • You'd think they would have put in the following:

1) A light in the glovebox

2) Grab handles above the driver and passenger doors

3) A strap on the trunk so that I don't keep getting my hands dirty shutting it.

I have been driving an '05 CTS for the past 4 days while my Catera is in service and I am really impressed with the handling and acceleration of the 3.6. The interior is way better than most anything that comes out of Detroit but it pales compared to most any import and the omission of something like a light in the glove box on a $30,000+ car is almost unforgivable. I am picky and wouldn't buy one just because of those things.

Jeff
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I read somewhere there will be some changes to the CTS interior next year. Anyone else see this?
  • I really don't understand why people, and there have been many on this board, complain about some CTS omissions. I was digging in the glove box the other day and I said to myself, "what a waste it would have been to put a light in here when you can't really look into it.

I had grab handles above the driver and front passenger doors on my Saab. Hardly ever used. By the way, Jeff, you have looked inside a CTS I suppose and saw the grab handles for the rear seat passengers? And if you want a strap for the trunk I bet you could get one put in for you. As far as I am concerned, I loved my 95 Saab and the 04 CTS is a big step up.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    My thoughts exactly. And as for that strap for the trunk, I wonder how long it would take before pulling on the strap would cause his wrist to get slamed by the trunk lid. To keep from getting his hand dirty he should try washing the car.
  • Meow! Sorry, I just compare the CTS to European and Japanese cars and it just comes up short inside. If you read just about any car review you'll see most come to the same conclusion. If you are used to American cars only (especially GM), then the CTS is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in terms of build quality.

Some people are just picky about the little things. I wouldn't be caught dead in a Cavalier but others think it's a great little car and wonder why people bash it. I think that's the mentality of some people here that are so used to American car quality standards.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Jeff, if you want a real complaint about the CTS what about the fact that you cannot lock the trunk or glovebox when you give the car to a valet parking attendant, because there is no separate lock for the back seat and the trunk release. There are other practical items which are not available even as accessories. Also the missing temperature gauge in the early production modules such as mine. I will replace mine with another CTS as soon as they work out some of these problems, but for now I am very happy with the current model even if some think the interior is too plastic. I happen to like the use of modern materials and I think the interior design and execution is excellent. I also thought my 97 Catera was an excellent car and it took me all over the US from California to Maine, Georgia to Texas and home.
  • I actually prefer my 2000 Catera interior-wise to the CTS but of course the 3.6 in the CTS and it's 300 pound weight advantage easily beat the Catera in every other area. Due to the fact that the Catera was a real European car, it has all of those nice little things the CTS lacks although the glovebox and trunk lacks complaints you mentioned were there. A lot of the ideas from the Catera carried over into the design of the CTS but I am puzzled why they would omit certain things. People like to bash the Catera since it's unreliable but it really opened the door for Cadillac to become serious about taking on it's European and Japanese competitors. The Cat actually sold quite well until quality issues effectively killed it. Typical GM!

Everything comes down to money. I hear labor costs (health insurance and retirement benefits especially) are the biggest thorns to American car companies and they have to cut costs somehow and the result usually makes them cut corners in important, but not essential areas such as grab handles and glovebox lights. Oh, and what about those vinyl/plastic vanity mirrors? The ones in my Hyundai Elantra were better!
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Late model Cateras were actually not bad in the reliability dept. I would pick up a low mileage used one if I needed a cheap lux car.
  • I just got a '05 CTS with 16" rims. I would like to get some custom 17" wheels for it. Has anyone else already done this?

I'll be going from 225/55/16 tires, to 225/40/17 tires.

The rims and wheels won't be much different in size compared to the Luxury package rims which are 17x7.5 - 225/50/17.

Just want to make sure I won't have any problems.