Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    Theres a new series coming on Sunday 13th. I think itll be over there soon after!
    The first show is the Porsche 991 (997), Aston Martin DB9 and the new BMW M6 tested in the Isle Of Man!! So i read in the TV listings anyway!
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Evok, geo9, Cadillac, anybody, HELP!!

I had my heart set and my mind made up that the next generation CTS was going to be mine... then I saw those awful pictures of the new front end. What are they thinking, don't they know the old adage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Well I'm here to say to anyone who wants to listen, if that's what it looks like when it comes out I'll be making a choice between the IS350 and the TL.

Does anyone else feel the way I do?
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Where did you see the front end? The picture geo9 linked to showed only the side and rear.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    There is another front end pic at another Cadillac
    forum site. (Can't post a link to another forum tho. because a nastygram from the host will arrive).

The headlights sweep/bend up the fenders sorta like
    the new DTS.................
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    The hole may be large enough to fit the diameter, but it is not necessarily deep enough to fit a full-width spare. That makes it necessary to give up some trunk space. This is very common with today's cars.
    I couldn't be farther from a skinhead/[non-permissible content removed]. How do you know about such things?

The name comes from the profile of my other car, made by a German company, which I think resembles a panzer tank. Yes, I am quite familiar with WW2 lore.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is sounding like a conversation that has nothing to do with why we're here, so let's just stick to the CTS and not get into any trouble ...
    The picture I saw is in another segment of this forum under 2007 CTS. Check it out, it is truly ugly. I think I can live with the lower sweeping roof line that geo9 showed but the artist rendition of the front end is just godawful ugly. Why do they want to mess with something after it has yaken at least two decades to get them to design a decent looking car.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    While the picture may be an accurate depiction, it is an artists conception. What actually goes into production may be different. I think it looks OK. The current "snowplow" front end styling is not good or bad.
  • bunoybunoy Member Posts: 7
    OK help me out. Will be buying a car in 1 month. I really like the CTS. Test drove a 06 3.6. My one concern is that the car seems to have a basic flaw...the rear end setup with the differential made by getrag(?). Several owners on a different forum indicate that they have had to replace whatever is causing the problems several times. Also that the problem has, apparently, still not been fixed on the 06 models (is this true?). Talked to a salesman about the problem...he said it doesnt exists, that the differential is the !best! Now, I know cars will have problems, but something as major as this that is known and has not been corrected will probably make me not buy the CTS. Did you guys know of this problem when you bought your CTS? And if you did would you still have bought it?
    As far as I am concerned it is no big deal. I have an '03' Lux Sport built for me in May of '02. The rear end was replaced about a year later when I casually metioned to my dealer that my wife said she heard a hum. I still dont know what tune it is humming although I do occasionally hear the hum. The car now has approximately 38K miles and is running fine.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    whine happens.

It's a matter of what you're planning on:

Happiness = reality - expectations.

Given that we're dealing with Cadillac -- the expectations are high (as they should be). That said, the car will probably continue to run just fine, in spite of the noise.

When I drove my new 240-Z off the showroom floor in '73, I had traded in a '65 MGB with no rear-end whine.

In the first few months with the 240 (I was in sales and burned through the warranty 4 months after I bought the car -- back then, we were dealing with 12 mo/12K miles), I started hearing a whine from the differential. I decided to wait until it got enough louder to matter and/or to stop the car.

When my beloved 240 met its end with a Suburban (9 years later), the rear end hadn't been addressed. The car had 223K miles on it.

WMMV.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I don't know if diff whine is common on the CTS. I do know that the CTS-V's (the 400 hp model with the LS6 engine) have a tendency to blow their diffs if launched hard repeatedly, and this supposedly hadn't been addressed - don't know if '06 still has the LS6 or has moved to the LS2, and if the diff changed...
    I've heard a number of people talk about rear end whine and replacement, but I've not heard of anyone having a blown rear end.

How hard and how often do you have to launch the CTS-V in order to 'blow' the rear end? How many cars do you personally know of with 'blown' rear ends?

I have 'heard' of a number of people who put misleading information on these forums to discourage people regarding brands that they have a grudge against. I would verify any information I obtained through the internet before I based any action on that information.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I do not personally know any CTS-V owners, except a couple who post on other car-specific bulletin boards I frequent (and can't post the links to due to Edmunds policy).

I am not making this up, and am not here to bash the CTS-V, just posting what is fairly apparent. Google "cts-v second blown rear differential" and see what you get.

Supposedly GM High Tech Performance magazine blew the diff on their CTS-V with extreme wheel hop on hard acceleration - reported in the May 2005 issue.

(Lurkers note we're only talking about the V here, not the regular CTS).

--Robert
  • zelda25zelda25 Member Posts: 3
    I am curious about this issue as well. I've had my cts since July '05 and love the car except for that whine. My hubby says it is no big deal, but the other day I was driving through town where the speed limit is 25 (and the whine occurs at that speed) and the car did a strange jerk, like it was trying to pull me back- accompanied by a small pop noise. Then it went away and drove fine. Called the dealer, they said bring it in, which is next week and we will see.
    Anyone have this before?
  • bunoybunoy Member Posts: 7
    Zelda25, would you please post what happens next week at the dealers?

bingoman, cdnpinhead, so the whine is not a big deal? I could live with a little noise, but not outright howling or breakdown. If the CTS ends up like your 240, I would not complain. The 223k miles, not the meeting with the Suburban!

Also on another board, someone posted that they were getting a 06 diff put in their 05 CTS-V and were hoping that this would be the cure. Does this mean the 06 have no diff problems?

Thanks for all the responses. BTW, my other choices are the 06 325 and C280. So any comments positive or negative would be most welcomed.
    In 1995 I traded my 1989 Acura Legend Coupe (which was a dream car)in on a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. After three years of major and minor trouble I traded for a 99 Lexus RX 300. I swore at that time that I would never buy another American car based on past experiences with Oldsmobile and Jeep. My resolve has been weakening somewhat as I saw more and more CTS's driving around town. I love the styling of the CTS but am concerned about the 07 styling changes (see my other posts in this forum). Now, we're hearing about rearend differential problems, excessive tire wear and minor fit and finish problems. Maybe I should stick to my original vow and stay with Toyota or Honda as my choices.
  • zelda25zelda25 Member Posts: 3
    Bunoy and others interested in rear diff. issues,

I went to the dealer this morning and after doing a test drive they found gearing problems between 20-30 in the transmission. I'm supposed to bring it in and they have to keep it for a day to fix this. I could only leave it an hour, as I had a school function to attend, so this is what they found at the time. I really did not get a good reading if this is related to the rear howling/whining as opposed to the jerking back and pop sound I heard. The rear will be checked, along with the fluids during this time, so I can report back and tell what that brings.
    I just like my cts so much that I hope this can be easily fixed and I can get on enjoying the car!
  • calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    Is there an aux jack for an iPod?

also, how is the real world MPG?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have an 05 CTS which I purchased in December of last year. It is my wife's car. I seldom drive it but I drove it the other night. I could not believe the noise coming from the tires. They sounded as if they had 50,000 miles. I called the dealer and he told me this is normal for the CTS. I have 14,000 miles on mine and he said that a man had brought his in this morning with 19,000 miles. He said the man was debating whether to buy a new set of tires or not. He asked me about rotating. I told him that I usually rotated every 15,000 with a rear wheel drive car. I know that exceeds the recommendation. He said that the way the CTS suspension is built that it is important to rotate every 5,000 and have an alignment at 15,000. I asked him if the body was out of alignment and he said no. My niece just traded a 350z. It ate up tires every 10,000 because the body was out of alignment. This is more maintenance than I want. The car sounds and drives like an older car.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Where did you see side and rear view pictures?

thebug...
    jpenn Are you kidding? I haven't seen anything other than the front view, and although, it's only an artist rendition, I think it looks pretty sharp. Thinking back (on my part), I thought the current CTS was ugly, but the more I looked at it the better it looked.

I already like this new style, and hope it's close to the rendition when it finally hits the bricks. If it is anything close to this, I will have to buy one. It would be nice in black on black. BTW, where can I find pics of other views?

thebug...
    The Bug,

Everyone has their own tastes, that's what makes life interesting. If it looks like the artists rendering you can have the one I was going to get in Black on Black.

You can see the side view of the new CTS (which I like) on post # 6338 in this forum. It's actually a nice update of the present model, my problem is with the front end. With that said I read in another forum that this artists rendering is in no way the official design of the new CTS and it will not look anything like this.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    jpenn, Never a truer phrase written as "each to his own." I had not seen this rendition in post # 6338. I like the rear view, (I still have to get one) and you're right, it will be interesting to see what they finally come out with. My gut feeling is that it will be pretty nice, and will appeal to that segment who liked the 03-06 version. That's if they're wise.

thebug...
    thebug,

I agree with you re: the redesign, they'd be foolish to make a drastic change after getting such a huge bump in sales from the present design.

I'm still concerned about the nagging problems they've been having with the drive train and tires.

After reviewing the IS 350 forum I've eliminated that car from my list (too small and too much of a performance oriented car). So I'm down to the Caddy and the new TL, I've also been eyeing the CLK320 coupe but it's a little pricey. All will need AWD in order for me to consider.
  • calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    jpenn: Your thoughts would be useful over here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef3fcce
  • andybear957andybear957 Member Posts: 5
    I have a black/black 2004 CTS with luxury sport package, purchased here in Toronto in April 2004. I don't drive all that much so I only have 6,000 km (around 3500 miles), and the other day, while driving on a regular road, the car just died -- no power, steering wheel "locked", nothing, but I was luckily able to give it enough power to turn the wheel and park it on the side of the road out of harm's way. Thanks to OnStar, the police showed up and then a tow truck, and I was towed to a dealership (closed on Saturday of course). This morning they called to tell me the car needs a new fuel pump (!) and that this is a typical CTS problem. I am the unfortunate past owner of a 97 Catera, and while I realize the CTS is a far cry from that abomination, I'm already nervous that in this early stage the fuel pump needs replacing. Has anyone else had this experience? I've also brought the car in for 4 recalls, and for complete replacement of the DVD Navigation system due to inaccurate location and direction reporting (apparently also a known issue). I am about ready to dump this and go to a Honda Accord but am wondering if I should wait and see. Thanks.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    You might want to check this site:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/index.html

I haven't found any reports of fuel pumps being a typical CTS problem. It seems that the problem would appear on this site if fuel pumps really were a common problem.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    have you added any fuel conditioner or fuel cleaner to the tank?...
  • policeladypolicelady Member Posts: 17
    I was wondering the same thing when a few days ago, I was pulling out of the parking lot in my brand new 2005 CTS when all of a sudden, the car felt as if it was about to shut off. I could not believe it. First thing I said to myself was "I know this isn,t happening and this is a brand new car". Is this a problem with CTS? I was so proud when I first bought it. I thought I was getting a good car.
  • andybear957andybear957 Member Posts: 5
    So the fuel pump was replaced. I asked if the fuel gauge was also replaced but was told that the problem with incorrect reading was tied to a sensor in the fuel pump, so that should all be fixed now. Well, driving the car away from the dealer after everything was "fixed", I noticed the needle bouncing all over the place. I turned on the "Fuel Range" item in the DVD Nav screen, and it too jumped around the place like it was playing hoops. Called dealer when I got home to ask if they even tested this, and was told "call us after filling up the tank if it persists". Super. Researching on www.nhtsa.com just a few minutes ago and found at least 2 other reports of 2004 CTS dying because gauge reports full when in essence tank is bone dry, and that the "Fuel Range" is totally inaccurate. I am selling my CTS as a result, I'm too nervous about all this. :mad: :lemon:
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm almost in the market for a new car, and had pretty much excluded the CTS because of price...even though I like the look of the car very much. I saw an ad in my daily newspaper this week for a dealer about 3 hours away who is cutting some good deals on the CTS...a base 2.8l version with automatic which lists for @ $32,400 on sale for @ $24,800 (granted that's through a "SmartBuy" deal, but still seems like a bargain). This brings the car down within a range I'd consider...any known problems or concerns with the 2.8 engine to keep in mind? I don't think I'd want to spring for the larger engine at this point, so if the 2.8 should be avoided that answers my question...but if the 2.8 is a good engine, I'll give it a closer look.
    The 2.8 engine is very similar in design to the 3.6, but does have a shorter stroke as well as a different bore, so is not the same engine.
    What about in terms of reliability, NVH, etc.? I guess I'm just trying to make certain there aren't any glaring reasons NOT to buy a 2.8 CTS.
    Since the 2.8 is very similar in design to the 3.6, the NVH should be similar, and reliability should be similar. The power output is less and there does not seem to be any increase in fuel economy. The big difference is that the 2.8 has about 23% less torque at the peak, which is at the low speed end of the torque curve, so this is significant.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I would sell more 2.8's, but there is NO fuel economy benefit. If it was 2 mpg we would sell many more.
    The difference in price is not enough to make the 2.8 worthwhile either. The 2.8 is probably a bit less expensive to build, but probably only by a few hundred dollars.
    Before I bought my 2005 CTS, a local Cadillac dealer told me to stay away from the 2.8, because of a problem with the engine seizing. The dealer said he had personally had several that had the problem, and he would not keep any 2.8's on the lot, even to offer as a price leader, and that the 3.6 was his recommendation. Last summer I looked at three dealers, probably 75-80 CTS's in all, and saw only one stripper 2.8. I did not drive it, but that dealer was dying to get rid of it. I bought the 3.6 with luxury and sport and I'm delighted with the performance, ride and comfort. Think BMW without the cost, but with much better seats. It has about all the grunt I can use without bringing a lot of unwanted attention. I don't know if there is any equipment decontent associated with getting the 2.8, but I can tell you the CTS is a heavy car and the 3.6 gets it moving very adequately. Average mileage is 19-20 mpg, not great, but better than what I would expect for the performance level. In 5500 miles, no issues, no visits to the dealer. Hell, it looks like I won't even need an oil change till 10k, even though I'll probably get one soon.
    The 2.8 comes with plastic seats. With similar equipment, the price difference is less than $1500. My SLS goes about 10,000 between oil changes, so I am using Mobil 1.
    Thanks to everyone for the info! I was hoping the 2.8 would be fine, knowing if I test drive the 3.6 I'll be hard-pressed to drop back to the 2.8. But if the cost difference is marginal and there's no fuel savings advantage, having the 3.6 will probably pay for itself on the back-end in terms of resale.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    My neighbor has had a 2.8L CTS since the spring. Runs fine and no issues.

No gain in fuel economy but it's cheaper and still have more than enough power. For the price, it a good deal vs. the 4 banger 3-series.
    The 2.8 lists at $31,235, the 3.6 is $33,880, a difference of $2645. The 2.8 gets plastic seats, leather is standard on the 3.6. Leather is optional at $1300 on the 2.8, half the difference. The luxury package is $250 more on the 2.8. Otherwise options are the same price. So, depending on options, the real difference may be only $1100. Just the base car with no options, or minimal options (automatic for example) will be about $2650 less than a base 3.6. But a loaded 2.8 will only run about $1100 less than a loaded 3.6.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I see no advantage in going with the 2.8L. If it were purely a cost issue then I would buy a used '05 with better equipment.

I have a '04 SRX with 24K miles. The 3.6L has excellent mid range torque and really moves the 4200Lb vehicle well.
    The 3.6L CTSs I have driven are pretty strong.

Keep in mind that Cadillac made some minor improvements to the 3.6L in '05 as regards to valvetrain noise.
    My '04 is fairly noisy when you are outside the vehicle.
    If I am driving down the street next to mparked cars with my windows down there is a high pitched engine noise that is pretty annoying.

lastly, if you do get a CTS make sure it has the Sport equipment. Big improvements in steering over the base cars.

Go with a used '05 and forget about the 2.8L because it's resale value will be even less than most GM vehicles.
    The timeing chain was quieted down I think.
  • policeladypolicelady Member Posts: 17
    I am new to this location, but I just bought a new 2005 CTS. I am becoming concerned with the problems mentioned here in regards to the CTS. Are there any re-calls for this vehicle? Why are the dealerships selling them if they know that there are problems with them? I am so upset now because I love the car, but I have noticed that it takes a while for it to get going. Is this normal? From 0 to 28 mph it drags thens picks up speed. I hate it but I try and deal with it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Bear in mind that many of the people who post on the boards are the ones having problems. The "silent majority" is (obviously) not represented.

Having been an observer on this board since it started, I'd say the main issue I've heard discussed is the differential (rear-end) noise, and I think it was confined to the first couple of years.

Most cars these days don't have problems. Some do. Usually it's just the luck of the draw, once you're past the first year or two after the introduction of a new model. Your '05 should have most of the bugs worked out.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    My neighbor has had his 2005 2.8 since July and had zero issues. Don't worry too much.
  • tmacguytmacguy Member Posts: 37
    It has been 3 years and 57,787 mi with my 03 LUX Sport CTS. I had just ran out of warranty. Here is a list of all the problems I had with it over the years:
    1- replaced FL shock strut, 3 times
    2- replaced FR shock strut, 1 time
    3- replaced RR window motot, 2 times
    4- replaced third brake light, 1 time
    5- replaced a cracked (could not take the sun) front dash top, 1 time
    6- fixed fallen interior RL sail liner, 1 time
    7- fixed stuck CD changer, 1 time
    8- replaced 5 tires (V rated tyres were on the care instead of W), warranty

I got neither of the rear end wine problem, nor the rear beazel leaks.

So except for the front shocks, which were an issue with all exports, and the dash board crack, I would say this is not a bad car. And the dealer have consistently fixed the car in 1 day or less.

But mind you, the car I had before the CTS was a 2001 Lumina (a rebranded Holden made RWD), that served me for 3 years and 100,000 miles and did not have a single problem through out, really not a single problem what so ever.

I stll love the CTS, it is still a blast to drive.