Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Michelin just announced a tire recall on pilot sport
    tires. If you have a set check the NHTSA web site
    to see if yours are part of the recall.............
  • tvdirectvdirec Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2003 CTS that has the analog clock in the dash. It has been out of sync for several months to the point it was 15 to 20 minutes slow. Then all of a sudden I start the car this morning and for no apparant reason the clock resets itself on its own to the correct time. Has this happened to anyone else? I know people have had theirs replaced but I haven't seen a post about their clock resetting to the correct time. Could that be an On-Star trigger of some kind like unlocking the doors??
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    You might be on to something, though I'm not sure it's OnStar.

I had the instrument panel on my '03 replaced twice under warranty for the clock sync problem (analog progressively slower than digital). Then, after having decided to live with the problem, I had some major AC service done (compressor disintegrated inside and spewed debris throughout the system ... another story altogether). When I picked up the car, the clock was way slow, so I figured the battery had been disconnected during service. When I reset the clock using the digital setting, miraculously, the clock synched up perfectly.

A couple of months later, the clock got slightly out of sync once again, and then I had a dead battery problem (not even the auto door openers worked and the key got stuck in the ignition since the security chip wouldn't activate the solenoid). When the battery was replaced, once again, presto, clock was fixed. :D

I have a theory that there must be some kind of a "system ready check" that happens when power is restored after battery has been disconnected (or fully discharged). All the personalization settings are retained in a complete power down situation (flash memory?) but under normal circumstances, there is a small battery draw at all times that keeps things like the security features, etc. alive.

Next time the clock thing happens, I'm going to try the "disconnect battery terminals" trick on purpose to see if it works! If so, I'm surprised GM hasn't figured this out yet, since they've R&R'd thousands of IP's under warranty. :confuse:
  • kriviskykrivisky Member Posts: 1
    It may be the fuel transfer line or the fuel gauge showing a quarter of a tank when in fact you are out of gas. This has happened to me three times and I would like to learn if others have had this problem. This is extremely dangerous as I have lost power while doing 55 on major highways and could easily have gotten rear ended as unlike slowing down intentionally, there is no brake light coming on.
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    I just leased a 2006CTS3.6. From day one, I found this wierd whine noise when I accelerate, it is small but you can hear. I park the car rev the engine only, it is not there. It is pretty annoying. Basically anytime I sightly put my foot on the gas paddle, this noise comes, any idea? transmission gear, drive axal? Thanks.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    Am I mistaken or was the 2007 CTS supposed to debut at the Detroit Auto Show? So far, I haven't read anything about it. What's up?
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I think that the 2007 CTS will be much the same car that the 2006 CTS is. The 2008 CTS will be extensively redone. That is to say, restyled and perhaps upgraded with respect to engineering.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Nobody at the L.A. Auto Show seems to know if the CTS upgrade will be an '07 or an '08, or when it will be introduced.
  • george7george7 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have a CTS-V in new england as a daily driver? I am in the market of car come this summer and really like the idea of a used 2004 CTS-V. Other than the rear diff/wheel hope issue, anything to be aware of and look for? has it been a reliable ride? I would plan on set of dedicated snows for the winter. Also, it seems there are alot of these cars available on Autotrader, ebay, etc... with low miles. Makes me wonder why. Any ideas?

Thanks allot for your advice.
  • george7george7 Member Posts: 9
    In the market for a car come this summer. I like the CTS-V. Lots of used 2004's out there at what look like good prices. Other than the rear diff/wheel hop issues, what issues should I look for? Electronics OK (biggest concern with american car after a couple bad experiences)? Has this car been reliable? I am thinking dedicated snows for NE.

Thank you for your advice.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    This has been discussed many times in the forum.The dealers are aware of it.Search the forum.
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    this is something I could not believe. People complain this for 3-4yrs, still no solution?
    I saw in a post that this is fixed in the 2005 model year. I must be wrong. Thanks arby1.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I just got a recall notice on this problem from Cadillac. It appears its a software problem and there is a fix coming in April. Until that time, do not let the gage read less than 1/4 tank.
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    It is just three year and two weeks, my 2003 CTS dies on side of street. After park on the side of street for a few hours, the car refuse to start. Jumps started the car and try to look for a replacement battery. Any recommendation about where to get the replacement? Costco? Thanks
    My 2003 CTS analog was repaired ( replace the whole instrument by dealer here in SD). YOu might want to do the same thing. One reason your clock repaied itself might related to the electricity system in your car.
    If you have less than 50K miles your dealer should replace it under warranttee, otherwise take it to Sears.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Has better prices that Sears.
    If you happen to be a member! :(
    Thanks. Went to dealer and have the battery changed, there is a bad cell in the battery.
    Hi wwhite2,

How do address the tight place for the drian plug? The wench won't fit? Did you get a special tool from dealer?

Advice appreciate!
  • lash92sseilash92ssei Member Posts: 35
    Been enjoying reading your different submitals about your Cadillacs. Just wanted to say Hi, and let everyone know that at 56 yrs old, GM got me to leave my Euro Cars for a new CTS. Had it now for 2 days and really am enjoying the Caddy.

After reading the messages, it seems I'm in big trouble. I'm going to have to buy new tires every other week. I won't be able to hear the radio over the rear end noise. The entire interior is going to come lose. The shocks will wear out causing me to lose control while trying to get the DIC screen to work...etc.

Oh well, on my way home tonight I'll be looking again to whip some Euro or Asian car's butt and will be enjoying the short time I have left before my motor vibrates too much at the stop light. Oh well, until then, I LOVE MY CADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Congrats on your CTS!

You should know that my CTS will be 4 years old in May and I'm really disappointed. ;) It's my wife's daily driver and we've had this same set of tires for over 25K miles without problems. They should last another 20 to 25K. They were replacements for the originals (Goodyear recall) at 18K.

The only time I hear noise is when I drive over grooved concrete roads and the Goodyears tires sing and the only interior problem was a seat back retaining clip that broke.

I feel bad that the only time I go in for service is when the oil life indicator tells me it's time. I must have gotten a lemon since I don't have any problems.

Still, I do get pleasure blowing the doors off German and Asian cars ...... when my wife lets me have the CTS. Now if only I had the 3.6L engine instead of the 3.2.

Seriously, our CTS has been super and it will be replaced with another CTS in the future.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I read through most of the post also. Not that many when you consider it spans from July 2002 to the present. I guess I also am not a big believer in the tire problems, rear end whining and constant alignment problems. I too bought one on Monday. An ’06 with luxury package, sun roof, Bose stereo, in Silversmoke. I had looked for a replacement for my ’03 Yukon which I was tiring of putting gas into and really had no need for. I had several prospects as replacements before I got to the CTS. I tried an HHR, too small and underpowered for my needs, an ’07 Tahoe, just because they were there and I wanted to see the difference the new model made. Not bad, but the mileage didn’t increase enough for me to justify buying one of them. an ’06 GTO, I loved that LS2, but that was about all, no heated seats, no XM radio, something didn’t feel right about it. I didn’t want a FWD with the 5.3L, since wife has a GXP grand prix and that doesn’t get the mileage it should (great car, just lacks mileage). Buick lucernes looked great, I couldn’t find a V8 and the 3800 was doggie in it. If I could have found a CXS, I might have bought that, but with none to drive, I couldn’t decide. The last one I drove was the CTS. I had driven one when they first came out, but they seemed underpowered with the engine in them at the time. You will notice this list contains all GM products, that is because that is all I will buy. I have strayed twice and each time regretted it.

I guess I saved the best for last. A short test drive sold me on the CTS. It handled great, surprisingly much better than I expected it to. There was plenty of motor with the 3.6, not as quick as the wife’s GXP, but still plenty of power for everyday driving. The interior looked great, leather soft, seats comfortable. It rides exceptionally smooth on my everyday drive to work, a 25 mile drive across I-40 each day, it absorbs the bumps and they are almost unnoticeable. I didn’t think it would ride would be that good. It surpassed the Yukon and the GXP is not even compareable. The fuel economy on this first tank is hovering around the 22mpg mark, which is a large improvement over the Yukon. I anticipate it should easily get 25mpg in the near future on a regular basis.

A couple of things I noticed which I would change if I could, the console setup needs an overhaul. I don’t like the small console glove box and the hinged setup to get to the tray underneath. The small door at the front which holds the accessory plug and ashtray could be eliminated all together and replaced with just an open pocket which things could be stored in, like a cell phone, etc. My cell phone will fit in the ashtray, just not well. It is a absolutely terrible vehicle, all I can find to complain about is the center console!

So I guess I will look forward to joining the rest of you in buying tires every six months and spending all my free moments at the dealership getting all my mechanical issues taken care of. I can hardly wait for the fun to begin! I sure hope it isn’t like the rest of the GM products I have purchased, or I am going to be greatly disappointed also when I only visit for an oil change and a tire rotation! What fun is that!!

Mike :)
    Dear Cadillac Manager

I’m a new to Cadillac owner (been a BMW owner in the past). I would like to congratulate your organization for finally providing a quality vehicle that is well on it’s way to competing with the best the world has to offer. I have grown tired of driving foreign vehicles (wanting to be proud to own an American car again), and had been looking for a new vehicle for several months. In reading reviews in Autoweek, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc I couldn’t help but notice that Cadillac was finally getting good press. I compared many vehicles and found Cadillac finally making a package that completes well with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, etc.
    Since my purchase of a CTS (I have received more positive comments about it from friends, co-workers than I ever received about my other vehicles) last Monday, I have visited two Cadillac Dealerships in the area where I live (Richmond, Va.), to enquire about the purchase of several accessories (a simple set of sever weather floor mats and exhaust tips) for my new Caddy. I offer a few impressions about my visits to these dealerships.
    As I drove into the first dealership, the first thing I noticed was there is no large signage directing me to the parts department and customer parking. As I drove around the dealership looking for parking, the first thing I noticed was several older Cadillac vehicles parked across from the service department entrance with flat tires, damaged grills etc (not a great conveyer of Cadillac quality upon entry to the dealership). These vehicles should be parked in the rear of the dealership out of view until they are repaired.
    Once I located a parking space, I entered the showroom and was directed to the parts department in the rear of the dealership. As I passed through the showroom I noticed a large amount of the showroom had empty sales cubicles which could have been better utilized either for car, accessory, or demonstration space. I also passed by the service waiting area, and found the area to be lacking good comfortable furniture, no framed pictures depicting future Cadillac cars, etc.
    At the parts department, I was very surprised to discover that I could not see or direct purchase the aforementioned items without ordering and waiting 5-7 days for delivery, but I could direct purchase a hat, license plate frame or a Dub scale model.
    I then went to the second dealership and found they had signage that could easily direct me to the different areas of the dealership. The dealership was well designed, the vehicles awaiting service were not seen as I drove to the parts department, parking was ample, and the dealership was cleaner and cheerful. This dealership provided a better experience when service or parts were needed, but I was again disappointed to discover that I could not direct purchase the accessory items that I desired.
    I’m sure that Cadillac has a benchmark design or attempts to get dealerships to comply with a minimum remodeling standard when expanding or remodeling. I would offer a few suggestions to improve your customer experience such as:
    a. Make sure there are parking spaces in front of the parts department for customers instead of vehicles awaiting service or employee parking.
    b. Improve the signage both on the storefronts and entry’s for visitors.
    c. Locate vehicles like the new XLR inside the showroom and not outside in the weather.
    d. Provide better seating, displays such as framed pictures, sales brochures, free telephone, cable TV with a good quality TV, snack and beverage dispensers for people who are waiting for service.
    e. Provide display items for interior vehicle accessories (exhaust tips, floor mats, vehicle history books, and other popular accessories along with the hats, models, license plate frames) that can purchased while at the dealership. Why should customers have to order general items that are at all other manufactures dealerships?
    f. Owning a Cadillac is special. Make the customers feel special. Make all the dealerships clean up the entire (outside/inside) facility. Cadillac is top of the line for GM, so don’t let it look like another Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, dealer. MAKE IT SPECIAL!
    I really want to stay in the Cadillac line. The Cadillac motor division is really starting to make a statement again. Don’t let the ball drop. Many people like me want you to succeed. Continue to improve both your vehicles and your entire ownership experience. Don’t let dealerships that don’t understand there’s only one chance to make an impression remain in their present operations. You can become the standard of the world again!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Does anyone know if "parking sensors" front and or rear aftermarket are sold by anyone?

If so, who.

My new salesrep just bought a 2006 CTS and she wanted "park distance control" and to get it she would have had to have purchased another " "TS, an "S"TS -- she thought it wasn't worth the upcharge :surprise: but I thought this forum might know where to get such an add-on that would not appear to be aftermarket.

Thanks.

:shades:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The posters in Avalon are talking about aftermarket sensors they installed in their vehicles. Try reading through there and see what company they are getting them from.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Some dealers get the message and some don't. I think mine got the message after a messy encounter with the State over sketchy business practices. Competition will help sort this out. The CTS and STS are substantial automobiles and a lot of fun to drive. I've never had or driven a car that had such a perfect balance of handling and ride. I see why the car appeals to a BMW owner that is not pleased with the new direction of BMW's styling and the I-Drive nonsense.

By the way, the CTS rubber mats are really nice, much nicer than the WeatherTech ones. Although my dealer had a set in stock when I stopped by to get them, the parts guy was shocked to find them on the shelves. This amazes me too. You would think they would sell the hell out of them and have it as a constant stock item, at least in Colorado. I know this dealer moved at least 30 CTS' in the month of July 2005.

Note to dealer in Richmond. If he wants to make a lasting impression on the customer, how about if he has a lot boy drop the mats off at your office or home when they come in.
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    Mine does it too. I have a 2004 with 19,000 miles. It has done it from day 1. Either go to Cadillac and complain and go through who knows how much time and wasted energy while they fool around with it, or learn to ignore it. No damage is done, nothing is "wrong" with the car.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Have you guys who have posted comments about the whine noise checked the bulletins (Preliminary Information) on the CTS/CTS-V site at www.cadillacfaq.com? It might be worth bringing to the attention of your service dealers.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pi1014a.pdf
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3051.pdf
    Taken from the Richmond Times Dispatch yesterday-"The news came the same day that The Associated Press reported that Moody's Investors Service lowered GM's debt rating further into "junk" territory. Moody's cited uncertainty that the company can establish competitive wages and benefits without filing for bankruptcy protection.

Moody's lowered GM's $30 billion in debt one level to B2 from B1, five rungs below investment grade. It also assigned the company a negative outlook, actions that will make it harder for the world's largest automaker to borrow money. Moody's had placed GM under review for a possible downgrade Jan. 26."

Will GM be owned by Toyota next?
  • pmerk28pmerk28 Member Posts: 121
    I live on L Island, NY..you know the land of BMW/Mercedes/Audi and I see CTS'S absolutely all over the place and being driven by people of all ages.
  • teach76teach76 Member Posts: 9
    I live in a rural area in west central Indiana; not any CTSs for 20 miles! I love my '03 CTS! :) I think this was such an "out there" designed type of car - never mind that it's a Cadillac - that it takes awhile to be accepted.
  • pmerk28pmerk28 Member Posts: 121
    At least Caddy took a risk and it paid off. They have to be agressive and uniquely American. Copying BMW/Mercedes/Lexus will never work.
    Last episode of Car Crazy on Speed showed the CTS-V M-1 that the "Skunk Works" did for a show. Check it out

3/16/06
    Host Barry Meguiar joins Kip Wasenko for an exclusive tour of GM’s “Skunk Works”, General Motors Performance. Get a rare glimpse of the epicenter for horsepower and speed at the worlds largest automaker, where car guys lead the charge.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    Just under 2000 miles with my 06 CTS, see a pool of fluid under the rear end yesterday. Call the dealer at 430pm, he gets me an appointment for the next day and a loaner car that same night while they repair it. That is some customer service!

I checked on it today, it has a faulty seal and the part had to be ordered. Per the service manager, they are using a different part than what was installed at the factory and there have been 3 or 4 of them at their shop with this problem. Part will be in tomorrow, repair completed tomorrow.

Sure will be glad to get the CTS back and give them back their DTS! But the DTS sure beats walking!

I wish it hadn't have happened in the first place, but it was great to see how the dealer treated me after the sale.

Mike :)
  • phileaglesfanphileaglesfan Member Posts: 2
    I had an 05 CTS V. The gear whine never went away even after replacing the rear end at 1700 miles. The car also had alignment problems from the factory, numerous interior trim panels coming off.

I dumped the car at $35k. Yes, I was a member of Cadillacforums and I loved the car. But now I love staying away from the dealership more.

Cadillac won't admit that there is a rear end whine problem on the CTS (regular CTS uses the same rear end). Unfortately they send out the District Service Manager on your second rear end failure. He then determines that you abused the car because no car should have a rear end fail in its first few miles, definitely not two.

There is a 200-300 post chat about this problem on cadillacforums.com. I guess we all must of had a "bad batch".
    My '03 has 31,800 mi. and I need new tires. My tire guy says this original set is not worth rotating again...that I've gotten more miles than the tires were allowed, plus have some balding issues with 2 of the tires. He suggests Cooper H , not Goodyear. The car is doing that "vibrating" thing at speeds over 50mph so want to replace tires ASAP. Would I be doing a disservice to my CTS if I don't put the same tires on as these originals? Note - I'm a cautious driver, not a speed demon....I bought this CTS because it's a beautiful car, still takes my breath away, and plan on keeping it a few more years. :)
    If you don't think you need the benefits of a V-rated tire for handling and braking, get the quietest H-rated tire you can find. If you have the sport package, you got V-rated tires original, and you might notice a slight difference in sharpness of turn-in on corners with an H. Braking difference is typically very small or insignificant. If you are a cruiser, you probably will notice nothing but a quieter ride. Tire wear will probably be about the same. 30000 miles on an H-rated tire is excellent. It shows you don't flog the car.
    teach 76, Panzer is about spot on. Lessons about tires I've learned the hard way are:

1st rule-Vehicle engineers get paid (well) during development and testing to determine the best tire for many different things (ride, noise, wear, traction etc). They have test tracks, yrs of data, experience etc when it comes to installing the right tire for a specific model.

What I learned:

1. If a owner changes tires from what was OEM, be aware that those changes can result in more/less, wear, noise, traction, and affect the ride. Make sure when you change tires, you can live with more or less of the above. Many times I have bought tires based on advice from friends, magazine articles, etc only to be disappointed in one or all of the above and end up going back to the OEM tire. Other times I have purchased tires to increase performance/wear, but have to trade off by tolerating more noise, less traction in the rain etc.

2. There are basically Three Tire Manufacturers in the world-Mitchelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone. All other "quote" Brands are made by the above 3 companies or their sub contractors under contract. So if your buying Yokohama, General, Winston etc you're buying from the "Big" 3, so it makes no difference what the name on the side says, your money is going to one of the big 3.

In summary, Rule 1 above-The tire that's on your car now is probably the best "Compromise" of all tire features. Most of the time, the engineer did their homework. Changing to a lower profile, bigger wheel, wider tire, etc all have impacts on how your vehicle performs. BE VERY CAREFUL and think the whole process through.
    Thanks for the tire info. I appreciated it! :) I did some research, too. My '03 CTS now has Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE (225/55R16) tires. The first thing I noticed was that the tires look good on the car, then the super quiet , smooth ride on the way home ( no more vibrating!!!). I noticed nothing unusual with cornering or braking...so far... I have a long-distance trip planned within the next week, so will see how the "Cat" likes her new tires. ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    are up here:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/

- Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Tire changes can be good and bad. I remember 15 years ago that I decided to upgrade my 1990 Mazda 626 I was driving while in grad school to Eagle GTs when the original OEM tires wore out. The more aggressive tread, larger contact patch and other factors made an immediate difference in the car...for the positive. In many ways, it was like a different car and it made the car interesting to drive again.

And of course, in cold weather states, switching to a proper winter tire is essential. Nowadays, that winter tire doesn't have to be a non-performance tire.
    Based on the CTS order guide I would say that there will be no new CTS for 2007, rather another upgrade of the 2003 car. I hope there will be the following new features when Cadillac finally upgrades the car: tire monitor as standard, available rear backup alarm, or camera for navigation equipped cars, tilt and telescope wheel or adjustable foot pedals.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    My wife's CTS started the tire roaring at 15,000. Very loud and annoying. I talked with the dealer service department and they said that you had to rotate every 5 or 6,000 miles; alignment at 15,000. I asked him why and he said it had a very aggressive suspension. The tires cup and that causes the roar. He said it was a race car. Has anyone found a solution to this or do I have to do constant maintenance on the tires.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I have 16,000 miles on mine and no roar.I rotated at 7500 miles and plan rotating this week.If your tires are shot, the dealer should offer you compensation.Although the manual does say to rotate every 7500 miles, so he can claim that you did not maintain the car properly.If the car was not alligned, then it was not your fault that the tires are shot.
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    I was thinking of trading my 02 Acura TL for a 03 CTS thats is going for $22,998 and it has 39K miles. I wanted to get a 04 but I am not trying to spend that much. I was thinking about financing it for 60 months but I wasn't sure if that's the route I want to take. Any opinions? Do you think this is a good deal or should I pass it up?
    Also I'm looking at 03 CTS with 23,988 and they are asking for $22,770.
    herk76,
    I'd vote for the CTS with fewer miles....more warranty left...check the tires ;) . A previous entry said the CTS was a "race car"; don't know if I'd go so far as to say that, but the get-up-and-go and the handling ability of the CTS is fabulous! What color choices do you have? Is that even a factor? Our '03 CTS is black and it still turns heads after 3 years. Keep us all posted.
    Both of the CTS are silver but here is the deal. They both have the two toned seats (black and gray). But the one that has the least amount of miles has the wood-grain interior and the bose system. My main problem is that I don't want my car payments too be high. I was looking at a 60 month loan instead of a 48 month. Would that be a problem if I go with the 60? Thanks in advance
    Silver is a good color...won't show dirt/grime quite as easily as a darker color. The wood grain interior is very classy - we also have that option as well as the Bose System - major selling point, in my opinion. Have you driven either (both?) cars? Do you know the history of the cars? As far as 48 vs 60 months, I'd go 48 if you can afford to. Only you know how much debt you can afford to carry. Do you have a vehicle to trade with the dealer? That might lower the initial price and help you decide. Will a bank be financing your loan or the dealership? A dealer may be more likely to have a lower interest rate than a bank. Consider all options, and you might check this forum for loan options,too. I bet there are others out there with something to add. Good luck, herk76.