Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• patty64patty64 Posts: 22
    I'm curious as to how everyone is getting these numbers. I've had my Pacifica about 1 month. I drive about 50/50 highway and local streets. The computer shows an average of less than 12 mpg. I imagine this is pretty accurate considering how often I have to get gas.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Posts: 113
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that during the break-in period for a new car, the mileage stats will not reflect the long term.

I don't think you can really get a true sense of your actual MPG until after 3,000 miles or so of driving.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 217
    I actually like the bucket idea for the second row. It's something different. If you need to seat three in that row more than occasionally, you should look for a different vehicle. There are many others that will meet your needs.

As for Celine, she has a net worth well above nine figures. She may be the richest woman in Canada (though she mostly lives in Las Vegas right now). She can afford any car in the world. I find it hard to believe she drives a Chrysler.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Posts: 154
    You could make the Chrysler people twitch by asking "Hey, where is that new station wagon, the Pacifica?".

Oh, it's a "sports tourer".
    I'd like feedback on any negative experiences with the sound system - preferably those with the premium 8 speaker surround system. I've been noticing weird things happening with the center channel (i.e. out-of-phase information). There is no information anywhere in the manual on the decoding scheme used to convert 2 channel to muilti-channel. Also, I'm curious as to how Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD's are decoded on this system. BTW - I do not have the video screen.
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    We have the 5.1 sound system, and the car was delivered with a defective center channel dash speaker.
    The speaker was easily replaced, and now we have an awsome sounding system.
  • toledo19toledo19 Posts: 119
    "If you price out a Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX on Edmunds TMV (all equipped with AWD, Leather, Sunroof, Rear Ent. Power Liftgate & Nav) you will find the following:
    Lexus RX 330= $43,710.00
    Acura MDX= $42,500
    Pacifica= $37,438.00
    That's a savings of $6,272.00 over the Lexus & $5,062.00 over the MDX. I don't know about you, but for me $5-6,000 is not chump change." You should compare MSRP. Not TMV! The TMV for the Pacifica is low because they're not selling! You're analogy is like comparing the lexus es300 to the 300m. Sure the 300m is cheaper, but there is no comparison in the quality of the vehicle, not to mention incredible depreciation.
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    I'm not here to defend the Pacifica (I don't own one although I am looking around and have done some research as well as test drive a couple of them).

It just drives me crazy seeing ignorant posts that may sway public opinion with misinformation.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Got a good look at a Pacifica on the road today. All of the other ones I have seen were going in the opposite direction.

I stayed with this one for about 5 miles and got to see it from all angles.

First off it is big. Very impressive on the road.
    You can't help but notice it.

The back end treatment is especially nice, except I would like to see it in a monotone paint treatment.

I live in Charleston, SC and the car I saw had Indiana license plates with a "Jasper Indiana" Chrysler dealership decal and a large "Jasper Engines and Transmissions" decal on the tailgate.

I guess it was one of the owner's of "Jasper" engines driving it.
    Probably coming up from their Florida winter home back up to the chilly North for the Summer. LOL.

Overall a very attractive vehicle that might be about 2-3K high on price.

They also need to change that engine out to something a little more refined.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Gotta ask that some of you tone down the emotions a bit. Let's not forget that we're just talking about a car. Okay?

It's okay to take issue with someone's comments, however, we need to keep the focus on vehicles instead of on each other.... A good way to do this is to focus on what you think about the Pacifica, instead of berating others for their opinions.

Please note: in accordance with our Member Agreement guidelines, off topic comments and personal swipes are subject to automatic deletion. Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments about this matter. Please do not address this with me here.

And now back to the subject of the Chrysler Pacifica. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    Why would you compare MSRP when everyone knows that cars don't sell for that. Remember MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGGESTED retail price. If you are content with paying MSRP than more power to you. You are the kind of buyer the dealers LOVE to get their hands on. One of the greatest things the internet has afforded us is the availability of information so that those of us who are informed consumers don't have to pay MSRP.

An analogy of the 300M to the Lexus ES300 has no revelance in this discussion.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I have been seriously looking at the Pacifica to replace my wife's T&C. We have had outstanding service from the T&C and have no complaint at all. Those who bash Chrysler quality are not having our experience. Now, I feel the Pacifica is $5,000 too high for what it offers. I like it, but will not pay the price of admission at this time. I have talked with several dealers, all agree that the Pacifica is not moving and has sparked little interest. They agree it is the pricing. I live in a different town than my regular dealer and he has offered to let me take a new Pacifica home for 2-3 days and park it in front of my office, etc. to have people see it out on the street. I am going to do it so I can get a good feel for how it drives as well as its features. The depreciation is not an issue for me as we keep vehicles a long time. My mind may change after the multi day test drive. We shall see.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Posts: 120
    I thought for several years Chrysler needed a crossover SUV (i.e. pretend truck) to supplement the Jeep lineup. Something to compete with Highlander (really a Camry), Pilot (an Odyssey), Rendezvous (a minivan), and even RX (another Camry), MDX (another minivan), XC90 (an S80) and so on.

The early mock-ups resembled a 300M on stilts, which I thought looked good for early in the design process.

I took one look at the official introduction and thought "no way". It looks like a minivan that's been vertically compressed. I don't get it. The other pretend SUV's can, at least, pretend to look like SUV's. And the poor use of space in the interior doesn't help (2nd row buckets should be an option, like on the cutting-edge, minivan-based Buick...).

If you look at the XC90 & RX330 on the higher end, and the Pilot & Highlander in the mid-market, I just don't get the Pacifica's bloated-wagon/compressed-minivan look. I suspect the final design was done on the cheap, and that there was far less engineering done to transform the minivan platform than the Odyssey-Pilot work, for example. Nothing wrong with product development done on the cheap, so long as pricing is as well.

Having vented I'll say that if it meets your needs you'll probably be happy: I have 206,000 miles on my 1990 Chrysler and still going strong. Truly amazing endurance after nearly 14 years.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Posts: 113
    Pacifica's 'look' is precisely why I am actively working on purchasing one.

I never wanted a minivan; just don't want to feel like I'm driving a small delivery truck. I also don't want an SUV...again, truck driving isn't my thing.

For me and my family, its the perfect vehicle. Enough of a car for me, and sporty looking to boot. The feature I like the best (and the one that swayed me from the Pilot) is the 2nd row buckets, one so many seem to think is a waste.

I have 2 kids, and when our family travels it is not by plane but by car. The 2nd row buckets will make the drives we take far more comfortable for my kids. Paired with the DVD system and wireless headphones, my husband and I will find trips even more enjoyable than before. There's plenty of baggage space with the 3rd row folded.

Carpooling will be easier with the third seat, since it seems like we have always been one seat short when going out with others.

Maybe its not the 'perfect' vehicle, but its perfect for me. I've owned three Chryslers in the past 25 years and never had any major issues with quality. I look forward to the same with my new Pacifica...once I get it!
    Well said!
    It should be illegal for anyone to post ignorant, negative, comments about the Pacifica unless they have actually DRIVEN one!
    The Pacifica is NOT an SUV, never claimed to be. To directly compare it to an SUV, and point out that it is not like an SUV, makes no sense at all.
    I took 3 test drives before buying, and have been very satisfied with my purchase.
    I hate SUVs, but needed more space and utility than was afforded by my previous 2 300Ms.
    As for Chrysler's "poor reliability", I say BS and 'ancient history'. I ran up 130,000 miles on my 2 300Ms, and NOTHING broke.
    Read the other auto message boards, espesially those pricy German brands, and see what real problems are!
  • grbelotegrbelote Posts: 25
    Took delivery of my Pacifica 6/6/03. The fit and finish is flawless. The interior is very upscale.On the negative side, I don't like the hood prop rod, would like a 8 way power seat for front passenger and would like to see a back up warning system. I did receive a $1000 rebate which went into effect 6/3/03. I wrote Chrysler that rebate's should be rectroactive to early buyer's. You buy the first, put it on the road and answer the question's that interested people have about the Pacifica. I read every message on this web page many time's before I ordered. Thanks. Just wish the fuel mileage was as good on the Pacifica as it was on my LHS, same engine but far less weight. My vehicle arrived from factory with one defect, 2nd. row seat will not move fore and aft.I will stay in touch.I traded a Town&Country Limited which we liked very much,van's since 1992. The van and the Pacifica are two entirely different vehicles, buy based on you needs. GRB
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    Previous Chrysler owners please let me know about the automatic transmission. I don't know the details but I have heard there were significant problems with these. And true to form my brother had to replace the transmission in his T&C at about 80,000. Makes me want to shy away from this brand.
    Did your brother have the transmission serviced as per the maintainance schedule? Some Chrysler vehicles called for a fluid change every 30,000 miles. If this was not done, don't blame Chrysler for a failure!
    My '99 30M called for a fluid change, which I had done at 35,000 miles, and the lease was up at 69,000 miles ... no trans problems.
    The '01 300M maintainance manual did not require a fluid change, and I drove it 73,000 miles with no problems. The only problem reported by 300M owners was a speed sensor failure which is easily, and inexpensively, fixed.
    I believe the Chrysler trans problems were on earlier, pre '99, models.
  • pssimonpssimon Posts: 143
    Punk, glad to hear your Pacifica is flawless. I ordered mine on 5/26 and am waiting impatiently <G>!

Anyway, about that rebate.... is that the "loyalty" rebate for those that are moving on from a previous Chrysler lease? Or is just another rebate for everyone? I didn't see anything listed on the Chrysler webpage.

Thanks... Paul
  • pssimonpssimon Posts: 143
    I heard lots of issues regarding Chrysler transmission problems, but I got say, I don't know about them! I have a 1993 Eangle with 159,000+ miles on it. I have changed the transmission fluid once. It's still going strong!

As far as I am concerned, they couldn't make it much better!
    The Chrysler web site says the $1,000 rebate is for "Owners & lessees", BUT in the very small print at the bottom it says "and for a limited time, non-Chrysler owners are eligible too"
    Time period is "now through June 30th"
    I'm ticked off about this because Chrysler sent a fax to their dealers saying they would not be offering rebates or incentives on the Pacifica. So much for honesty!
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    dude, I had to replace the transmission in my 2002 Acura TL-S at 6,100 miles (complete failure). And now at 26,000 miles is does not perform very well again, looks like there will be another tranny swap. So replacing tranny at 80,000 does not sound that bad too me.

I used to drive a '99 Chrysler 300M. Drove it for 3 years and 36,000+ miles. No problems with transmission. No problems at all.
  • adp3adp3 Posts: 446
    I've been gone for some time. Wondering what your report is re your car.
    Paul, go to www.chrysler.com and keep digging you will find info on rebate. Hang in there, it's worth the wait.!! This is one nice vehicle. Punk
    What symptom did you experience regarding the defective center channel?

Regarding the new $1,000 rebate I was really annoyed that we missed out on this. I was told that Chrysler would not be offering incentives for at least one year.
    It wasnt the center channel, just the speaker. The speaker grill top center of the dash just pops off to replace the speaker.
    I think the speaker cone was cracked.
    To all early owners:
    I contacted Chrysler about the rebate.
    Here's what to do:
    Send a letter to:
    Daimler Chrysler
    P.O. Box 5072
    Troy, MI 48098
    Enclose your VIN number, and a copy of your purchase or lease agreement.
    State your case, possibly including:
    1. Chrysler told the dealers they would not be offering rebates or incentives on the Pacifica.
    2. Those of us who beleived that got screwed by buying early.
    3. The early buyers are supporting Chrysler and the Pacifica on this venue.
    Pacifica buyers unite!
    I've been on the phone with my dealer and Chrysler customer service/incentive dept. No one seems to know about the cash rebate. While I was also the information in black and white on the Chrysler web-site, it seems that the dealers and Chrysler customer service themselsves has no information about it. My dealer insists that it is only for leasing. He said he would call his rep to find out. I wonder if this is a mistake? He indicated that if someone walked off the street today to buy a Pacifica, he could not give them the rebate. When I called Chrysler to complain they indicated that they would not give a retroactive rebate to those early suckers... I mean purchasers. They would not even give me the satisfaction of speaking to a higher level manager. I'll try writing the letter as Russ suggested.
    I took delivery of my Pacifica 6/6/03. I received the rebate. Go to Chrysler's web site and you will find info on rebate. I feel like they owe you early buyers. Punk
  • leftyjimleftyjim Posts: 1
    We have had our pacifica for 3 weeks now and we do not have 1 complaint. I took me and 3 other guys on a 750 mile trip and everybody had plenty of room. I was a little worried that the mpg was not going to be as advertised but after breaking in the car I got around 22 mpg coming home. Still in the city it is around 15-16. We did not get the DVD system installed when we bought it but we are now thinking about getting it. Any comments on the DVD system would be great.