Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Did you get your Wrangler? I was wondering what dealership you are using in Vegas. We'll be there for Labor Day weekend, and if I have some spare time I thought I would try test driving a 2003 (since the seating is different). Believe it or not, but I would rather go car shopping than gamble, and if I don't go this weekend then it would be another week before I get a chance.

Thanks for the info!
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "...fron (sic) 15 City - 18 Hwy in 2002 to 16 City - 19 Hwy in 2003 ??

Did changing the auto to a 4 speed make that much difference in the CAFE for that vehicle...."

I don't consider 1 MPG to be too much of a difference. I'd consider 5 to be a decent bit, and 10 to be a big difference. That said, I'd imagine the overdrive is the reason.
    Saw this one on an online forum. I thought the title was pretty funny. (sorry if you have one)

I don't really mind the color that much myself.

Happy Jeeping!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    That's why they make different colors, I guess.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    +1MPG might not sound like much, but that's anywhere from a 5.5 to 6.6% increase (comparing it to 18 or 15 starting numbers), which IS significant in my book. I'm not sure how they pulled it off though. Auto tranny vehicles usually get slightly worse mileage than their manual counterparts, so that makes it a bit more curious. I did read that the exhaust system is now revised; maybe there are some other "performance" tweeks we don't know about yet (like the stupid shift light comes on at 1500rpm's now!).

-twylie
    I know the shift light is an annoyance, but I started paying attention to it, and shifting at lower RPMs than what I had always done in previous cars. First I found that I could drive in slow and go freeway traffic without continually shifting up and down, and then noticed an improvement in my gas mileage. It isn't always right, especially going up hill. I ignore it totally now, but I think it did help me get familiar with some of the Wrangler's unique characteristics.
    Same here!

I try to follow it when I can, but have to let judgement take over when necessary and I can't stare at the dashboard.
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    I havne't got the New Jeep yet, but I am still in negotations. I went through Chapman Jeep in Henderson.
    I would rather check out jeeps than gamble. It's such a waste of money.. I have an idea, if you want to gamble, then give me your money you would spend on gambling and I will tell you that you lost. Think about it these hotels (1 billion $$) were not built on 'winners'.
    Anyhow, I hope you have a good time in Las Vegas and check out a few of the Jeep dealers in town. Another dealer is Tobin Jeep/Hummer/Bentley/ Jaguar. They have plenty of Jeeps and a hummers..
    Viva Las Vegas.....
    Going down to Henderson is not a bad idea, but I think it would be fun to wander around Tobin - I've never really looked at the hummer except at an auto show.

A couple of years ago I read about a road out of Red Rock Canyon that might or might not be appropriate for a stock Wrangler. I think it goes over to Pahrump and I've always wondered about it. Do you know anything about it? It is still too hot to do much exploring at the moment, but there's always next month or the month after...
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    i thought the inca gold looked cool too.
    Yes the road to Pahrump is pretty cool, great views... Dont worry, its starting to cool off here about 100 degrees in the day. As long as you take water, you will be ok.When are you comming to town? We should go wheelin....
    Tobin has plenty of Hummers and the rip off version H2. The regular hummers are real cool. A friend of mine who has a Land Rover Defender 90 was up at Big Bear last weeekend and saw a H2 in action. He said its a piece of Crap. It couldn't handle hills, mud or rock very well. More or less just a Chevy Suburban chassie w/ a hummer body...
    Waiting for the dealer to call back today, looking at about $435 per month w/$5000 down for 60 m. They have to get the Jeep from New Mexico.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Saw this today:

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=1215

I thinked they goofed the interior picture though, unless the new Wrangler interior is identical to the Liberty's.

• pal7pal7 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone help me determine if this is a good, safe buy? I'm interested in buying a 92' jeep wrangler (4.0L 6 cyl, alum. wheels, 114,500 miles) that will be primarily off-roading purposes and left up at a remote cabin in the woods. I will be taking it on rutted, rocky roads where high clearance is required. I will probably drive it in 4-lo the majority of times. I'm new to 4 wheeling, but rode in my friend's 4wd truck and had a blast getting back to remote creeks, ponds, etc. I'm hooked but don't need a new 4wd as it will get scratched and banged up cosmetically. Do I need to be concerned that it doesn't appear to have any protection (skid plate?) underneath. Also, being in remote area, I can't afford to have a breakdown. Are they reliable,is it a good year and worth the $5900 that they are asking?

Thanks for any and all help.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Hey Chef,
    I was reading your post...$435.00 x 60 =$26100.00
    plus $5000.00 down = 31,100. Seems a little high.
    What kind Jeep are you getting?

dewars
  • macsfriendedmacsfriended Member Posts: 6
    Hi to all you long term jeep owners. Mine is a '97 TJ, 4 cyl., 5 speed, 97xxx miles, I have owned and maintained since new. It developed a hard start problem requiring 3 to 4 cranking sessision of approx 2 seconds each before it fired. Then runs fine. My independent mechanic said jeep fuel pump/line check valves are notorious for failure. Est cost to R & R entire fuel pump is approx. $400.00. Anybody found a lesser $$$ solution??? Thanks, Ed
  • tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    I like it too. I like it so much I bought one. I was on vacation for the last three weeks and when I went back to work last night the guys I work with saw it for the first time. I guess it's a love /hate thing. Oh well, I still like it. I got mixed reviews. Take a look in the photo gallery.

Tom
    Well, here's the verdict.

The new muffler and high flow cat converter are on. I think the muffler is 2.25 and the converter 2.5. The muffler is a Magnaflow. He left the stock tailpipe on there with stock downturn tip.

So, how is it? Well...........................

The sound is....................................

...kind of "flatulence-like" for lack of a better term. Maybe some of you would think it sounds like the Hondas and Toyotas with the big coffee can like ( o ) mufflers (maybe me included?) Mostly at lights, stop and go. It is a little loud there also. Once moving, it is not so bad at all, although louder than stock. It almost has the tone of no muffler just quieter than that. A plus is that it did not seem to reverberate or be REAL LOUD like people say that the Flowmasters are which I didn't want. I might have preferred the tone to be lower and a little more "burbley".

The power/performance is....................................

...Decent. I guess about what I might have expected, possibly better than I expected. It is not a neck snapping Mustang, but I never expected it to be. What it does seem to do though is be less "bound up" or "restricted" than it was. It seems more willing or able or what have you. It is a very difficult thing to put a finger on as far as describing it. I will really know when I get it in an uphill situation offroad, or towing. I suppose if I went with the fancy schmancy 2.5 inch everything for close to $300, it might have a little more oomph, but at a price, both monetary and in loudness, and apparently also at a cost of the loss of lower RPM torque.

Of course, this is based on a five to ten minute ride back from the shop. Not sure yet how it is on the highway. I imagine it might change slightly over time also.
    thay had the h2 in a few mags. and it did real good. it has a rear locker and some thing in the front but i don't know what.
    is that 92 yj a at or a 5-speed ?
    Hey, guys, welcome! I'm sorry that I can't really help either of you with your questions, but I just wanted to extend a welcome to this group. Hope you guys will stick around and be regulars here.

Tom

I haven't had to find a solution to that since I haven't had any starting problems. I have a '98 with 104,000 on it and the only problem so far is the exhaust manifold.

I'm not much of an expert about older jeeps, either. But if you want an uneducated 2 cent opinion - my personal experience with old vehicles has been really positive. I bought a beat up '77 Chevy 3/4 ton truck in '85 (75,000 miles) and sold it still in good working condition in '91 (125,000 miles and 80 percent of those were hauling a horse trailer). The only repairs were a rebuilt carburator and a fuel pump. If the vehicle is still working well after 9 or 10 years, it will just about go forever. Those that aren't "bomb proof" have already died.
    We're still debating driving the Wrangler (a/c needs servicing and it occasionally quits due to icing up) or the Tacoma (better gas mileage and working a/c but no 4x4 so no dirt roads around traffic jams on the way home).

We'll be coming in Saturday and leaving Monday (shudder, shutter). I have family there, so we come up often - we should plan an outing later in the fall, perhaps.
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Hi to all, lurker here with a YJ.

I've got a '91 Wrangler with the 4.0. The only major problem I've had was replacing the catalytic converter (and muffler while I was at it) at about 105,000. The '92 is the same vehicle as far as I know. Everything else on mine except brakes, tires, and filters is original equipment and still going strong, not one oil leak ever. The off roading I do is logging roads to get to hiking spots.

It should have factory skid plates over the gas tank and transmission already. You would probably add to that if you're going to do rocky areas. The YJ is not as off road capable as the TJ but jeepers, people still leave the pavement anyway.

Any car is subject to something breaking, no guarantees there. And the price seems a little high from what I've seen but I'm certainly no expert in that field.
    Here is the Skinny -
    The Jeep I currently LEASE I want out of. This is going to Screw me. But I want out, so I guess I'm gonna take the loss. I'm not real sure why the payments are the way they are. The dealer and I havent sat down yet to crunch numbers to finalize them. I'll keep you posted on the events that should unfold today and thanks for your interest......
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    You can go to the Jeep Web site and "crunch" the numbers before you sit down with the finance person at the dealership. You can plug in all the numbers (cost, down payment,tax,finance charges, etc.) and find out exactly what your payments will be.

Believe me, it made me feel much more "in control" when the finance person walked in. Just make sure you get them to put in writing what all the charges will be, in advance, before you sign on the dotted line.

I got all the numbers in writing a day or two in advance, so when the finance guy told me we were only about $1000 off on our calculations, I whipped out my contract that the Sales Manager had signed! It was a done deal after that! When I left the dealership, my payments were precisely what I had calculated at www.Jeep.com.

Just my .02 worth.

Laura
    I agree with Laura, the more info you have the better (stronger) your bargaining position. I would spend some time here at Edmunds researching as well as jeep.com There is a lot of info about rebates, holdback, dealer cost, etc. at edmunds.

Good Luck !

dewars
    It's a 5 speed. Thanks to all others who responded. That's some positive feedback. Does anyone know where I can get the skid plates installed in the Bay Area?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Thanks for the link to the review. Overall, a decent review and I like the fact that they actuall took the Jeep offroad, which seems to be missing from almost all mainstream press reviews. I noticed a couple of errors in the article, but it's nice to see some new press about the Wrangler.

-twylie
  • neptungrllneptungrll Member Posts: 48
    Hi to all. I have the above jeep and it is a dull tan color. I have the logo "Safari Edition" on the side. I have never seen another jeep with this logo, but have seen the Sahara edition. Anybody on here have the 1992 Safari edition? Just curious. I have about 105,000 miles on it. My clutch went out and it costs &^%$&@ $900 to change it as the guy had to take the engine out. I guess the clutch in this model is in a really bad place to get at. I have also replaced the radiator and water pump as the first owner never flushed it, etc (unbeknownst to me). Overall I like it. I have an new Infiniti G35 and use the jeep as my "beach wagon" as I live on the coast.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Actually, it's sometimes easier to remove an engine, rather than a transmission, to change a clutch. It's not the factory recommended way though.

An old Jeep makes ideal beach transport. Enjoy it until it rusts away!
    where ya from in the bay area ? i'm from san jose . your jeep sould have the two skid plats there is no reson to take them off and i think the one for the tranfer case should be there becouse it's a brase for the frame. i think thats right if not someone tell me . in san jose you can call 4whell parts and see what thay say . didn't you say you where going to leave the jeep in the woods at a home some where ? if you would like some one to go wheeling with some times i should be able to go . hope i was some help. I LOVE WHEELING!!!!!
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    The price seems a bit high for that kind of mileage. I paid $4,500 for my 90 YJ which I bought this January. It only had 43,000 original miles on it. I haven't taken it wheeling yet though.
    I hope to wheel at least two out of the three days this long weekend. Anybody wanna come to Turkey Bay at LBL and go with me?

Who else is wheelin' and where?

Bama, where is it you were planning to wheel this weekend? :)

Tom

Looks like I won't be - my other half is going to opt for comfort and less cost over shortening the time on our drive home on Monday.:( Oh well, there's always another day...
    i hope to do some wheeling up by my mom & dads house thats like 50 miles from tahoe over on hwy 88 .
    Thanks for the info. I plan to go off roading up near Red Bluff. About 4 hours away from me.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    you know im not as lucky as you guys to have a 3 day weekend, besides its FOOTBALL season (roll tide)
    Im still looking for those 2 days weekends.
    Gotta get ready for a big labor day weekend at work!!

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
    Gotta get my shower and then load up Thelma Jane with a small cooler, my camera, some water for Ross Allen, and then Ross Allen and old Tom are outta here! Got a couple other Jeeps going with us, so it should be a great day.

Hope the rest of you get a chance to put that lever all the way up today too!

Tom

WEll I did it! I purchased a new 2002 Wrangler. Here is the Skinny:
    02 Sport
    Auto
    A/C
    CD w/ 7 speakers
    Cruise Control
    Dana 44
    Trac Lok Limited Slip diff
    30" Caynon Tires
    Dual Tops
    Deep Tint Windows both tops

I'm pretty excited! It will be here on Thursday or Friday!! Keep ya posted!!!

Happy Labor Day Weekend!! Fly the Stars and Strips proudly!!!
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Sweet.

Are you looking at what mods you are going to be putting on the new TJ?

What color did you go with?
  • chammellchammell Member Posts: 1
    Hello,does anyone know if any mechanical features have been changed to the 2003 wrangler sahara. what I mean, is there any change in the engine suspension brakes ect... or is it the same design as the year before. thank's hope everyone is having a good time this holliday. curt
    CONGRATULATIONS! Like Toad asked, what color?

And, if you don't mind, please tell us what you paid in relation to invoice. I sure ain't in the market, cause I'm happy with Thelma Jane, but others who come here could benefit from having this info.

Tom

What a sweet, wonderful, glorious, beautiful, super day! Wheeled all day long!

Went to Turkey Bay and with two other Jeeps and hooked up with three more once we got down there.

The last Jeep to join us just fell in behind us on the trail, and it turned out that the four occupants were some Bosnian kids from Bowling Green, Ky. Their TJ was bone stock, and the kid driving did a great job.

Ross Allen had a great time, as usual, but the heat and the days activities took their toll on him. He is sound asleep on the bed beside me.

I got to play trail guide for a good part of the day, and I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. I got us on some fairly challenging trails but not in over our heads. The guy who took over for me also did real well. We had a blast!

Hope to go back tomorrow.

Tom

I picked the same color as I currently have, Flame Red w/ Tan interior and tops. I am getting rid of a 2001 Red SE : NO POWER = BIG MISTAKE!! Oh well it over...

I paid $300 over invoice, went through a on line company to get the bid.

Did some wheeling today in my SE before I give it up. A little hot about 105 degrees, but still a blast. I need rain so I can go muddin!! Its so damn dry here. Its all dusty and brown. Well I have to go and have a Labor Day weekend Beer. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend....
    Remember Fly Your Stars and Stripes!!!
    i went out wheeling up by tahoe on sat. . did some trails and some rock crawing . i hit the trail at 6:00 am. the wheather was nice i could'nt have asked for a better day. went over the carson pass on hwy 88 to look at some old mines . [too much snow last time there above tree line] then back over the pass to silver lake for the rock crawing .then back to my mom & dads house on hwy 88 by 12:00 pm .
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Well, while everyone else enjoyed their day-off.
    I LABORED away. Cooking for all these hungrey Alabama folks.
    Glad everyone had a GREAT day, Sounds like fun..

CONGRATS Chef!! sounds like a beauty.. now dont go and get it dirty. Keep that JEEP shining.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA (ROLLL TIDE!!)
    Sounds like a great car - congrats! Our trip home from your home town was pretty tame for a holiday weekend. Left Vegas a little after 8, got home around 2:30. Not bad! No 'wheeling, and a quiet weekend. Can't complain - there's always next weekend.
    Congratulations on your new Baby !!!

and GREAT choice of color.

Enjoy !

dewars
    Hi, Curt, and welcome to this board. Sorry no one has responded to your post, but it was a holiday weekend, and the posting in general has been real slow.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. There is a four speed auto for the 03's, but not just limited to the Saharas, but that's about all I know about the 03s.

It would sure be a super time to buy and 02, assuming that they have extended the 0% financing for 60 months. It was supposed to have ended today, but they almost always extend those incentives, and sometimes even increase them. Gee, maybe they are giving no interest/ no principle loans now? :) Wouldn't that be nice?

Hang in here with us. Glad you found us.

Tom

• jeepermanjeeperman Member Posts: 6
    So, has anyone driven one? I took my 92 YJ on the Rubicon Trail several weeks ago and there was a group of 20-25 Jeep employees driving pre-production Rubicons (all Inca Gold!). They seemed to do extremely well although a few had some body damage from the trail - most likely from "pilot error". The local Jeep dealer says it'll be mid-September before they have any in the showroom. I'm surprised that the details aren't posted on Edmunds yet.

Anxiously awaiting in Placerville........ :-)