Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• jimhemijimhemi Posts: 223
    I run snow tires on all 4's. Bought a set mounted and balanced from the Tire Rack. It was $89 a tire, plus $40 for the rim. Well worth the price. It handles like it's on rails in the snow. I keep them in the shed till late Nov. then jack up the car and swap.
    I was at the autoshow Sun. and the interior is what it is. It's all prototype, not to mention the BEATING that those cars take at the autoshow. Saw so many with shifter knobs missing, radio button stolen. I even saw one guy lifting the plastic HEMI cover off of the Yellow Daytona that they had. Wouldn't be suprised if people weren't pulling the panels off and on just to see what's behind it. Oh yeah, gas caps were missing on several makes and models. Total beating!
    I think the hardness of the plastic is probably going to stay. Parents have a HEMI Durango SLT and that was the only complaint vs. the last generation was the hardness of the plastic. Maybe something to do with durability? I noticed theirs hasn't scratched like the old. Possibly better for UV protection?
  • jimhemijimhemi Posts: 223
    CF:
    Go to this link
    http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/lx-cars-snow.html
    The guys at ALLPAR.com tested a Hemi 300C and Magnum with AWD and RWD in snow and ice. Think you might be suprised. If the snow still is an issue, Jeep makes a nice ride too ;)
  • cfazzaricfazzari Posts: 77
    First, I've gotta say Thank You to both of you (JimH Shipo) for all of the feedback. I've just started research on actually buying a new car and I've already got about 8 different vehicles on my list. I'm months away from buying so my friends at Damlier-Chrysler have a few months to spruce up the interior of the Charger. I was writing down a few models last night (Impala SS, Grand PRix GXP, Buick Lucerne, Lexus 330) and I stopped dead in my tracks when I was the new Charger. I'm still leaning towards the SS, but test drives will have the final say on the matter. It should be a fun few months. Thanks Again!
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I am guessing you use the winter tires on the rear only."

Why would you NOT put tires with good traction on the wheels which steer the car? :confuse: You act as though the only circumstances which require traction are acceleration (only worried about the tires which receive power).

jimhemi and shipo are right: you want good performance in poor weather, worry about tire design FIRST and whether the vehicle is FWD or RWD second.

Hey, we got smilees!!! :)
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Posts: 552
    I've got a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the Hemi, locking differential and 2 wheel drive. Like my 2 wd Dakota before it I use dedicated snow/traction tires on all 4 corners. My Dakota had Bridgestone Blizzack snow tires and my Ram uses Wrangler GS-A traction tires in the winter. It goes and better yet stops as well as all the expensive 4 wheel drives around here in the MidWest. Tires definitely make the difference. The 20" Goodyear Eagle LS tires that came on the truck slip even if you just think snow. :D
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Just like other folks have chimed in and said, I run all four wheels with winter tires. I figure why have just good rubber on the rear and leave the fronts with no braking or turning capabilities. With winter rubber at all four corners, you get the best possible acceleration, handling and braking possible for your car.

Regarding the interior of the Charger, errr, sorry, t'ain't much I can do about that one. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    I have a 2006 Magnum on order because I need the cargo space, but sure wish I could buy a Charger, as it is the best looking of the LX cars and one of the best looking and most functional new cars available. I have seen them up close. The SRT version of the Charger is even nicer. While I like the 1969 or 1970 Charger and the Barracuda from that time period, I would not want to drive one when the modern cars are better in every way. Ford has just the product for anyone who wants a two door car styled like a 1968 model (the only things missing are the skinny chrome bumpers). Production of the 2006 Charger, Magnum and 300 started just after Easter, and the factory is now working three shifts. I understand that over half of the 2006 output will be Chargers, and I suspect that DCX will soon need to assign additional LX (300, Magnum, Charger) production to another factory, since the Charger offers far more for the same price as many competing models, and offers options/upgrades (especially the HEMI and AWD) not available on many of those competing models).
    I agree with you on the exterior appearance of the Charger. Drop-Dead Gorgeous.
    However the interior looks cheap. As I stated in other posts, the interior door panels are hard molded plastic, as if vinyl or leather have suddenly become too expensive. Even more disturbing is that the door panels on TWO different models in the NY Auto show did not sit flush against the glass...there was a gap that could be squeezed wider and narrower!! This is about as crappy a thing as I've seen on a new car...ever. The only thing that compares is my first car - a 1973 Torino that had a hard rubber mat as it's "carpeting"...Lastly, I WISH the damned thing came with AWD, like the 300 was forced to offer.
    I expect that the production cars will be better built than the cars at the auto shows. I have not observed any such problems on the 300s and Magnums I have examined and driven. I agree that the door panels and whole interior could be fancier. I would prefer light and dark tan, or some other colors, not just shades of gray. At least the 2006 Charger and Magnum have the metal on the center stack, not just the black plastic used on teh 2005 models. Various aftermarket dash kit companies make additional trim for the doors and elsewhere. I suspect that nicer interiors may come along in future years to keep the cars "fresh."
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,770
    For the price of the car, they should get it right the first time. They're following the GM strategy of putting out flawed, overpriced cars and then trying to catch them up. Problem is when they get it right a couple of years down the road, the nameplate will be too devalued for anyone to care. This car will end up just like the G6.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Gee, if the cars are so flawed and overpriced, you would think they would be piling up on the dealer's lots and require rebates to sell them. Instead, they are selling faster than they can be produced and, for the most part, their buyers seem to be happy with them. Frankly, I love my Magnum RT just the way it is and have virtually no issues with it in 6 months of ownership. It's performance tops cars costing twice as much and the workmanship is excellent, especially in its bargain price range.
  • Dodge anounced pricing for the Charger today. $22,995 with the 3.5 V6, what a bargain. $29,995 for the R/T. Surprisingly, the price is a little less than the 2005 Magnum. http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
    Once Edmunds has all of the detailed pricing up, I suspect we will see that the Charger will offer far more car for the dollar than the Accord, Camry, Altima, Five Hundred, Impala, and so forth. It should be fun.

The interior did not stop me from ordering my 2006 Magnum. The factory is running full speed on three shifts, so a fancier interior could not sell more cars, but might allow them to charge more (especially if the fancier interior is optional). As it is, the real problem may be getting a second factory on-line to build the cars.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Hey, thanks for sharing! The starting price is lower than I anticipated.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Here is a sport sedan comparison test featuring the Dodge Charger.

Dodge Charger
    Chevrolet Impala SS
    Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    Nissan Maxima
    Mazdaspeed 6
    Subaru Legacy

How does this sound?
    Take out the Maxima and the Legacy, add in the Lexus E330 & 300 Hemi (AWD) and you've got the list of cars I'm researching for an end-of-2005 purchase. Impala SS and Pontiac GXP are at the top, Hemi and E330 are #3 & #4 and Speed 6 and Charger are #5 & #6. Charger would be #1 (with no #2) and may still be. IT remains to be seen (and test-driven).
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Why aren't you considering the Nissan Maxima? It seems like a fine car, more Infiniti than Nissan.

As for the Lexus, I don't see how it even competes with the other cars you mentioned.. The ES330 is based on the Camry, which is not a sporty car. The Lexus isn't a sports sedan, it's more similar to quiet, luxury cars like the Lincoln Zephyr/LS, Mercedes C350, and the Jaguar X Type. It is also the most expensive car you mentioned. All in all, the Lexus is more luxury than sport. I you want a Lexus try testing a Lexus IS300, that's more of a sport sedan.

My personal picks in this category, (this is very subjective, based on what I've read are)

#1 Chrysler 300C
    #2 Mazdaspeed 6
    #3 Dodge Charger
    #4 Nissan Maxima
    #5 Subaru Legacy
    #6 Lexus !S300
    #7 Pontiac Grand Prix
    #8 Chevrolet Impala
    Our lists are actually quite similar - 6out of 8 are identical.

I'm not crazy about the Maxima's styling. I like the Altima's styling more.
    I haven't considered a Subaru - I don't even know what they look like.

The Lexus is in roughly the same price category (higher end) - and it's a Lexus. I'm not crazy about the 330 but aren't we all supposed to bow our heads in solemn reverence every time we mention a Lexus or a Toyota? It's on my list for a test drive but I'd rather buy domestic, something with more bumps and curves too.

That being said, I realize that Chrysler-Dodge is no longer domestic. The new Charger is just too hot not to look at - I'm hoping they announce an AWD option soon - otherwise the 300-Hemi, Impala SS and GP GXP are the Front-Runners.
    cfazzari - why would you want a front wheeel drive car instead of a rear wheel drive car?

Rear wheel drive is better in every way. In the old days, some cheap buyers and dealers did not buy their rear wheel drive cars with limited slip differentials, so they had problems in the winter. Those days are over - the modern rear wheel drive cars have mechanical and/or electronic limited slip differentials / traction control, stability control, and antilock brakes.

Because it is better balanced, a rear wheel drive car will stop sooner and handle better than a front wheeld rive car, and it will not exhibit torque steer.

The only advantage of front wheel drive is that it is cheaper to build.

Of course, all wheel drive is even better, and the 300 and Magnum 3.5 V6 SXT models and the 300C and Magnum RT offer AWd as an option, so it should be just a matter of time before the AWD option appears on the Charger.
    Let's not go overboard. Even with traction control, rear drivers don't cut it in the snow like a front driver will. I've tried em both so I'm basing this on first hand experience. I would also question which layout is cheaper to build.
  • tolenashtolenash Posts: 52
    Snow tires...read about them in the 300 forum.
    Yes, good snow tires are essential. Any comparison without them is meaningless. The snow tires currently available are the best ever.
  • robintrobint Posts: 8
    Hey, my name is Robin T. I am a marketing representative with the Dodge Information Center. Glad to see that you guys are impressed with the exterior appearance of the 2006 Dodge Charger. I noticed your discussion regarding front wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive, and was wondering if it would be okay for me to join in. I’m heading out for the evening, but I will check in tomorrow...
    Sure... join in. Knock yourself out.

I understand that snow tires are a great help, but it's a hassle as well to get your tires swapped twice a year and to sacrifice your dry road performance for 4 or 5 months.

With a front driver, you get a decent set of all weather tires and you're in good shape year around without the hassle or expense of tire swapping. That is a real advantage.
    I beg to differ, unless your all season tires are of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ilk, I find it highly unlikely that you will be able to tell the difference in cold weather handling between two like cars, one shod with "a decent set of all weather tires" and the other shod with a decent set of winter tires (except on slippery roads where the winter tires will blow away the all-season rubber).

The real advantage comes when you have a RWD car with two sets of tires, then you can maximize your performance year round instead of being stuck with a nose heavy sled cursed with terminal understeer. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    Personally, I think a really good set of all-seasons, combined with a good TCS/Stability program can perform just fine in RWD setup in the wet stuff, as long as you keep the driving within sane limits.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I've owned both and have never had to put snows on a front drive car. Of course traction degrades in the wet stuff with either layout, but it is far less severe with FWD.
    Well, maybe in an environment with flatter terrain, say like the Chicago area. I live in southern New Hamster now, and my street has a 7.5% grade, and all but one driveway is even steeper, as in like 20% on two of them. My driveway is something like 9% and I was basically unable to navigate it with anything more than about two to three inches with all-season rubber (summer rubber couldn't even get up with .25 inches covering it), however, with winter tires the only limiting factor seems to be ground clearance.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "Of course traction degrades in the wet stuff with either layout, but it is far less severe with FWD."

For light acceleration, you are absolutely correct, however, what about turning and stopping. A nicely balanced RWD car should easily be able to out perform an otherwise identical FWD car assuming similar tires and slippery road surfaces.

I've got over three decades of driving in the midwest and the north east, and my cars have been almost evenly split between FWD and RWD. I can say without reservation that my last two RWD cars (with very competent traction control systems) have been by far the most capable cars I've ever had the pleasure of piloting through the white stuff, assuming winter tires of course.

Fortunately I don't live at the top of one of those 20% driveways on our street (that I mentioned in my last post), because even their AWD cars equipped with winter tires cannot make it up with anything more than an inch or so.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    well, i've never owned a set of winter tires and i don't live in a flat area (i'm in jersey). FWD with all-seasons does great in any weather (again, though, they have to be good tires - research is very important - i've had all-seasons that wouldn't work worth a darn even if you had 8-wheel drive). Our last driveway was fairly steep (i'm not familiar with grading terms, however, but we're talking about 8 feet over street level in a matter of 30 feet) and our all-season clad AWD vehicles never had a problem, even when they first had to bust through the 3-foot drift of plowed snow at the head of the driveway. I could always get my FWD up it, too, but usually needed a running start. If I ever ran into anything that required snow tires, I might be obliged to buy a set, but that has yet to happen with FWD or AWD. My 350z with summer tires, on the other hand ... ugh ...

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

This discussion has been closed.