Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    I'm with you - I love the new Charger. I also loved the 68-74s. I think DC did an excellent job with this car. As for the 4 door debate - Look if you've got a real back seat that will need to haul people, 4 doors simply make entry and exit more manageable.

My only caveat is that I will wait for the AWD version of the Charger to come out before I buy it.

Enjoy your new ride dude...I'm sure you'l be loving it for years to come!
  • kowalskikowalski Member Posts: 94
    Dodge and Chrysler dropped the 7 year 70 k warrenty when the new charger came out...
    Now all you get is 3 years 35k thats it..
    Whats up with that ..
  • johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Member Posts: 14
    DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group is doing away with its 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty on all vehicles beginning with the 2006 model year. The warranty, once standard on all vehicles, will now be an option. The Auburn Hills automaker began offering the warranty in 2002 to show it had overcome quality problems and as an incentive to woo back buyers. The company says vehicle quality scores have risen for 13 consecutive years, and that the warranty is no longer a major selling point for customers. The first model without the warranty will be the 2006 Dodge Charger sedan.
  • kowalskikowalski Member Posts: 94
    Thankyou for clearifying that and with dodges new line Id want a 7/70 warrenty it is a dodge ................Dodge has always been known for its short commings in production I figure this will make them hit all new 06 owners with that worthless aftermarket warrenty they push ......
    Glad I bought the last of the 05's....
  • rsmith1rsmith1 Member Posts: 9
    I drove the new Charger this past Saturday and I just Loved that Hemi Power. The short comings that I saw was the missing trunk lid Insulation that you see installed on so many Japanese cars and I also noticed that the hood is held up by a metal rod. Again, something that should not be installed on a $38.000 automobile. (Needs hood struts) The overall fit and finish was very good,but the interior felt cold and cheap and again with the trunk, the trunk mat did not fit good and you could see part of the spare tire.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    the trunk mat did not fit good and you could see part of the spare tire.

I checked out a Charger RT yesterday and I made sure to look at the truck. Everything fit as it should...no spare tire visible. I think perhaps the example you drove was messed with by someone at the dealership.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    How long is that fit and finish going to stay good when the hood is supported by a rod? I belive that the car has a header panel, right? I mean that the front lip of the hood isn't the absolute front of the car? That hood is going to sag within a year.
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    I noticed the missing truck lid insulation as well. This was a concern when the 300 came out, but later found out that the insulation was being installed on the C. But you are right, the cheapness jumps out at you without it in there. The hood rod was another let down too. Would it be that expensive to have the struts installed instead? To note ... The trunk mat in the car I looked at fit perfectly.

I disagree with you on the interior feel. I thought the interior felt rather luxurious compared to that of the Magnum. I almost felt like I was sitting in a 300 ... almost ... minus the wood treatment. So for that reason I thought Dodge did a great job. It could have been that particular color interior that you looked at that felt cold?

The one funny moment that I had with the dealer was when I asked him how to open the gas cap door. Neither one of us had a clue, but it was funny that he didn't :confuse: ! It's an interesting way in how it opens, but a woman with long finished finger nails may have an opportunity to cuss up a storm one day ;)

In all, this car is great to look at in person ... I could stare at the front all day! But from a distance, or in pictures especially, I just doesn't stand out.
    Just to let everyone know ... Dodge has updated their website for the Charger. Looks like they did a good job on it too. You can now price a Daytona and SRT-8 model on the website too at www.dodge.com.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I think the Charger is a pretty good lookign vehicle. I keep noticing the one at the Dodge dealer I drive past on the way home. So I checked it out on the Dodge site. They don't even offer a manual transmission. I can understand how the vast majority of buyers would opt for the slushbox, but to not even offer the option of a stick is just sad.
    Honestly, I don't think it would've been smart for DCX to invest in a transmission that practically no one would buy. Everyone screams that they want a stick on the internet, but actual sales numbers do not reflect the demand.

I know this may be auto-enthusiast sacriledge, but the automatic in these cars is so nice and responsive, and the HEMI makes so much power andd torque, that a manual transmission is not really necessary. At least that's my thought. Not sure about other people here, but I live in NJ where traffic can be a pain. As much as I loved driving a stick in the past I am thankful for my automatics when I'm in a traffic jam. The HEMI just needs a nudge of the gas pedal and you're gone...no shifting required.
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    DCX has existing gearboxes that would fit the bill. I am not sure that there would be such a huge investment in getting one of them set for the Charger. I don't expect dealers to stock them, but that DCX would at least allow an order for one.

I drive a stick in heavy traffic every day here in Miami. It can get annoying, but the traffic itself is the problem, not the transmission. From watching how people drive in heavy traffic, I'm convinced that the whole reason driving an MT in one of the jams can be a pain is how the slushbox encourages people to crawl right up to the next car and then stop. An MT driver wants to keep rolling.

In any case the paucity of MTs on domestic vehicles gives a fellow just one more reason to buy an import.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You're missing the point. Folks who want to shift (me for instance), want to shift. Period, full stop, the end. The fact is, nobody NEEDS to shift anything. Having said that, I've lived in nothing but major metropolitan areas since I learned to stir my own in 1977 (including 10 years in NYC), and I still want three pedals under my dash.

As for "Investing" in a transmission, there is no need. All DCX needs to do is to knock on the door of their good buddies at Getrag and buy some of their fine units. Judging by the BMW M5, those Getrag 6-Speed manuals are more than capable of dealing with the substantial urge of either version of the Hemi. Would that cost more money than using DCX’s fine in-house 5-Speed automatic? Probably. Doesn't matter though. Many folks that I know who like shifting would gladly pay extra for the privilege, me included.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The SRT-8 Charger will have a 6-speed manual as an option? I for one don't miss a manual in LA traffic (an auto trans helped save my life once), but enjoy them on fun to drive country or mountain roads.

I'm curious if the dealers you folks are visiting are "plussing" their SRT-8's with their own stuff. I.E. tinted glass, "dubs" (22 - 24" wheels), etc.).
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    I'm planning on upgrading my '04 GTO to an '05 GTO when I find the right one. There is so much talk about the Charger I thought I would check it out. While it sounds awsome on paper, the styling doesn't do much for me. I could live with the looks but not the four doors. And I'm one of those guys that wants a manual transmission. I know its not needed but that's half the fun. There must be a different demographic for the Charger. The manual GTO's sell the best even though in '05 the auto is actually faster.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Oh man, I love it. Or at least I did until I drove the '05. That is just a fabulous car. It still has the small trunk, and the cheapo HVAC controls and its hard to get in the back seat although once you are there it is very comfortable. Other than that it's a beautiful car with lots and lots of power.......
    FYI ... AutoWeek.com just posted a review, along with handful of pics mostly Daytona version) and details concerning the Charger. I had no idea the Charger is 120lbs less than Magnum and 300, as well as boasting a true 50-50 weight balance. I was impressed to read all that went in to the car, and why they did what they did in moving forward with the 4-door version. Would be nice to see a limited edition (at the very least) coupe as well as an optional manual. These are the first pics that, for me, actually do the car some justice. I find the car great looking in person, but just about every other pics I have seen (excluding the SRT version) don't look the greatest. Has everyone on this post seen this thing in person?
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I saw the Charger at the LA auto show. It certainly wasn't beautiful. It might sell on performance, but it won't sell on style. It's not a cohesive shape, too many odd angles.

As well as the police version, I suspect DCX will offer a 2.7L version for taxi, fleet, rental, etc, use. I would rent one for cruising the interstate. If I was inside, I wouldn't have to look at the sucker.
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    "I saw the Charger at the LA auto show. It certainly wasn't beautiful. It might sell on performance, but it won't sell on style. It's not a cohesive shape, too many odd angles. "

See, I am the exact opposite and so are a few people I know. Seeing the pics of the charger caused so much initial commotion in combination with the pics not being that flattering for the car in some ways, caused quite an uproar (also the diversion from the 99 concept).

But, once actually seeing the Charger in the videos, the new Charger Flash site (which is a really great site), and such it has improved its appeal greatly. So for me, it does combine the style, power, and practicality into one car which is not easy.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I saw one at the New York auto show last April. It looked great! I want one.
    Finally confirmation that the Challenger is going to be built ... with 2 doors ...see link: http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102549
    It's a shame that we will have to wait till 2009 for this thing! Can't wait to see some of the images of what it will look like. ">link title
  • jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    I'm sure what we see now is not what we will get in 2009. Remember the 99 Concept Charger??
    Good point ... but we will have to see it first to judge. My guess would be that they are listening ... especially if they are looking to compete head to head with the Mustang in the 2-door market. Starting to sound like the 60's all over again! :shades:
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    Everyone running out to be these big ol 8s... how do they afford the gas???
    Well, to get technical, the Challenger didn't come out until 1970, well late 1969 for the 70 Model year. If Dodge rebadges the current concept Chrysler Firepower then I'd probably buy it. I'm concerned that they will not let the 6.1 work to it's full potential as to not upset anyone that spend $40k more on the Viper. Same will go for the rear gears, expect something that will keep it slow off the line allowing for the Viper to remain the fastest in the Chrysler stable.
  • c5400hpc5400hp Member Posts: 11
    Its alot more affordable than Any SUV or Subaru AWD when it comes to MPG.
    I owned a Subaru it was a gas hog and small to say the least.
    If you drive The Hemi with a light foot and not always getting on it youll get pretty good MPG.
    I get 22-24mpg at 70 mph and arrive in style with a car you dont see every day like the common subaru which is a dime a dozen ..And so small you cant haul or pull any load with a trailer..
    Thats why I moved up to the magnum .
  • c5400hpc5400hp Member Posts: 11
    Did you read the MPG specs for the 6.1.
    4-6 city 10 tops on the highway no esp no traction control .
    The srt magnum 6.1 or charger would only be a fair weather car I couldnt imagine it in any rain or snow conditions.
    The srt version of these larger cars is a real strange market area I see not many selling ,and figure they will be a limited run once they raise the gas cost after this summer .
    Get ready 3.00 a gallon is comming fast .Thats for 89 octane .imagine what 93 would be if you owned any other vehicle.I like the fact the Hmei runs best on lower grade fuel off sets any lose.
    Good question, but my question would be more directed to how people afford all those high priced BMW's, Audi's etc? They are all over the place here in GA! Doing a little math ... I could buy an SRT, buy gas at let's say $3.00/gallon ($2.29 here in GA), fill up my 19 gallon tank say twice a week, get the city rating spec found on Edmunds at 14MPG ...

Then take my $30,000 savings over that BMW 7 series 6.0 (not including any insurance savings ... if any) etc ... and I can operate my SRT for a little over 5 years! The point is that there are people out there that can afford these cars, and frankly, price of gas is just an afterthought. Or maybe they pass up a few Starbucks during the week to afford the gas since that coffee is about $50 something per gallon?! :surprise:
    I think that anyone that buys an SRT of any kind will not really care about the gas mileage, after all they will be hit hard with a gas guzzler tax. If they can afford the cars and the tax then they can afford whatever it costs to fill them up. I don't care either. I just want a pure, rear drive V8 with no frills and a ton of torque. I wouldn't mind the ESC, but when Dodge builds the Challenger they need to consider a full off feature for those of us that want to flog the car around the track on weekends. As for snow or wet weather, that's why I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also have a 71 Charger and know that gas costs what it costs and $3 a gallon for fuel is still cheaper then the current $6 a gallon for 108 octane leaded race fuel. Bring me the 6.1L Hemi in a Challenger and let the tire smoke begin.
    Either years still contained some of the best looking cars. I would love to see Chrysler bring out the Firepower! My understanding is that Chrysler is thinking about using the 6.1 in order to keep the cost of the vehicle down versus the engine used in the Viper ... since the Firepower will contain some luxo items that the Viper does not.

The article I posted noted that the Challenger would be built on the updated model of the 300/Magnum/Charger. I just wonder what will be updated come that year, and I wonder if Dodge will take advantage of that time as well to bring out a 2-door version of the Charger? Personally, I prefer the 4-door simply for the practicality, but catch me in 15 or more years and then I will be shopping for 2 ;)
    Does anybody know yet? I have been unable to find pricing...

2006 Dodge Charger 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A) $22,320 MSRP
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/dodge/charger/100518592/prices.html

2006 Dodge Charger RT 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 5A) $29,320 MSRP
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/dodge/charger/100518597/prices.html
    The Dodge.com website also has the pricing too ... including the Daytona style.
    ...and the SRT-8 as well.

http://www.dodge.com/charger
    Hey Montez ... I did not see the pricing yet for the SRT? The Dodge website has the SE, SXT, RT and Daytona RT. Are you able to see something different when you open the website? Thanks ...
    It goes up and we'll all keep driving. Same with people who smoke. They raise the price on a pack of cigs hoping kids will quit or become discouraged. High gas prices, just means have to choose the road trips more wisely.
    When everyone complains about the price of gas, look around and see how much work it takes to producing and refining a gallon of gas compared to water or even a gallon of milk. Gallon of milk costs how much? How much work did it take? Stop the complaining. If you want better gas mileage then the Charger isn't for anyone, Prius forum is somewhere on Edmunds.
    Sorry. I guess I shouldn't post until I have my morning coffee. :)

The SRT-8 pricing is up on Chrysler's website for the 300, not on Dodge's for the Charger.
    Here is the MSRP list from the Dodge Flash site:

SE Base MSRP : $22,995

SXT Base MSRP : $25,995

R/T Base MSRP : $29,995

DAYTONA R/T Base MSRP : $32,495

Dodge Charger Flash Site and Build Your Own Charger

No SRT-8 information yet. But there is a black SRT-8 displayed on the first page of the flash site.
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    This new Challenger should keep the gearheads happy (my friends JimHemi and Shipo for sure). Too bad we haven't seen any pictures of them yet. the article has a grainy black-and-white photo of the challenger from 35 years ago.

As for me, I satisfied my lust for "new" wheels by picking up a 1997 Chrysler Town & Country. 3.8 L V6 with AWD. The thing outperforms my 3.2L Intrepid both in performance and ride. And it will go through an avalanche if need be :)

Next year the Intrepid is still scheduled to go to my sons, and Dad will get whatever the hell he feels like!! (Grand Prix GXP, Bonneville GXP, Impala SS, Charger, Mustang and Chrysler 300 AWD are on the short list)
    "This new Challenger should keep the gearheads happy (my friends JimHemi and Shipo for sure)."

Heeeyyyyy... I resemble that remark! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No problem ... just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my browser :) But I do know what you mean about having the "nectar of gods" in the morning!
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I was passing the local Dodge dealer here in PA and he had two Charger R/T's...one silver and one black. The first two I have seen in person. The silver is close in color to my 05 Mustang GT. With my Stang parked next to the Charger, my wife was surprised at how small the Charger's headlights are. It doesn't look athletic at all to me (but it could have been my Stang next to it doing that ;) ) Other wise we both *gasp* liked it for what it is...a Dodge family car. It looked a lot better in person than the photos, that I will give it. I didn't get to drive it, so I can only comment on the looks. If I still had my Intrepid R/T, this would be a suitable replacement, especially if I didn't have the Stang and wanted a decent motor under me.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I had a chance to drive a Black Charger SXT with a 3.5L.

Front and rear seats are very comfortable with plenty of room. Nice dash and layout. I was never able to get a full view of all instruments thru the wheel. Car was very quiet on the road. Trunk was very small. Radio was average at best. Radio was hard to hear over the noisy A/C blower.

The day was 96 degrees and after a 20 minute test drive the car never cooled off and the air blowing was not that cool.

While at a stop light I had to lean forward to see the signal. Side mirrors were not large enough to provide a clear view. Side mirrors do not fold on the SXT. Folding mirrors are only on the R/T and up. Rear view was limited.

Car does not have one bit of sport feel to it. The 3.5L is lethargic. This size car should have a 4.5L as the base. The 3.5L just does not have enough torque at the bottom end to move the car. The SXT is just a cruiser.

I liked the car, but the limited visibility and weak engine make me walk away from the SXT. In Texas, if the A/C does not blow cold, the car is not worth $100. I will go back and drive the R/T with a Hemi when the dealer gets one besides black.

I don't see how a car this big and heavy, even with a large V8 is going to feel sporty. With the low roofline and high door edges, it has more of a limo feel.
    "Car does not have one bit of sport feel to it. The 3.5L is lethargic. This size car should have a 4.5L as the base. The 3.5L just does not have enough torque at the bottom end to move the car. The SXT is just a cruiser."

Like it or not, it is in keeping with the original Charger. A friend of mine ordered a beautiful (for its day) 1974 Charger SE, red with the white vinyl top, top end white (leather?) interior, center console with shifter (automatic), and "Mag" style wheels (Steel wheels with a trim ring and a spinner). The car surely looked fast, however, when one opened the hood all one would see was that very long 225 Slant Six packing all of something like 110 hp. Yup, all show, no go.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm a tough person to please, but if Dodge does the Challenger right and listens to what the fellow gear heads in here have to say they should have what we all want. Chrysler already has a good starting point with the concept Firepower. Dodge it up and drop it down into the mid $30s and I'll be happier then a pig in ....
    Cfazzari, my fingers are crossed for this one.
  • ilovetrailersilovetrailers Member Posts: 27
    Fell in love with looks and bought off showroom floor after sitting in it.
    Promptly drove from MO to PA putting 2,000 miles on it. Here are my feelings now.

A/C not right. It will cool at times and refuses to work other times.
    Bad blind spot in rear corner
    No lumbar support in seat that I could find
    Windows up high so my kids can't see out
    Transmission misqued at stop sign and dropped from drive to first on its own

Traded in 03 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Charger ran away from it in unofficial side by side run on highway against wife
    Very smooth on highway, no trouble seeing lights from windshield even with seat up high.
    Got a lot of good comments on the looks
    So far it is a keeper.

listed at 34,755 with most options. Got 500 rebate for trading in a vehicle, and got 2000 more for trade that I expected.

This car will appeal to many people. I am 58 and my wife is 27 and she loves it.
    No I'm not bragging--just lucky

Hope my first message on forum makes sense.
    Hows the Multiple Displacement System?

This article reports that it is a better than the Mustang's fuel economy:

"Catering to consumers' concerns about fuel efficiency in an era of $2-a-gallon gas, the Charger also has a system that shuts off four of the engine's eight cylinders while cruising on the highway or sitting in traffic. In one day of heavy stop-and-go driving, the Charger managed 19 miles a gallon, which is roughly two or three miles a gallon better than the Mustang in similar driving. On the highway, the Charger got almost 24."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/18/0auto-219121.htm
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I will say in the Mustang's or GTO's defense, you don't buy them for fuel economy. If you want fuel economy, then maybe a muscle/pony car is not for you.
    "Trunk was very small."

I'm a little confused on your "review" comment? The Chargers trunk is (16.2) cu.ft ... which for starters is larger than the 300's. But is also larger than a Toyota Avalon (14.4), Maxima (15.5) and for lack of better family car titles ... "benchmark" Accord (14.0)! :confuse:

The only other you choices you have left concerning the truck size is the Magnum, Ford 500 ... yuk, and a range of Buicks. From there you might as well go SUV ...
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Trunk size is one of the criteria that the wife and I are taking into account as we shop. The trunk in an Intrepid has spoiled us, at nearly 19 cubic feet. The manufacturers have gone to smaller trunks (except Ford--where the Five Hundred has 20 cubic feet). Our biggest concern about the 300 is the trunk size. The Charger's is slightly larger. The biggest disappointment about the Avalon and the TL are the small trunks. Lacrosse has an 18 footer, but the back seat was taken away from to do that--seemed cramped to us in the back. All of this might lead us back to the Magnum, although right now the Charger remains at the top of the list. :shades:
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    "Transmission misqued at stop sign and dropped from drive to first on its own"

I wonder if that is really a mistake by the transmission computer. The Autostick in my Intrepid automatically drops to first when one comes to a complete stop. It was designed that way.

:confuse:
This discussion has been closed.