Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    I think that too many people shop for a car by the numbers. My old 91 Cougar had a fair size trunk by the numbers. However, the trunk was very deep and very short. It would barely fit a grocery sack high under the rear deck.

The Ford 500 trunk size is equal to a Crown Vic, but you could never put a dead body in the back of the 500 and you could put 2 to 3 bodies in the Crown Vic. The Crown Vic's trunk is tall, not deep.

Same goes for legroom. The Charger has loads of leg room. More than the numbers would suggest. More than Camery or Accord or Sonata.

The Charger trunk is small by my estimation. The wagon area on the Magnum is too small to be worthy of a wagon description.

The Charger and the Avalon are much different cars. They don't look similar, they don't drive similar and they don't feel similar. They both have 4 doors and that is about it.

I urge you to go try the vehicle with an open and skeptic mind.
  • Options
    cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    Jim: If DC didn't learn anything from the WILD success of the Mustang then they deserve an ugly fate. Look at how dismal the GTO has been. I've already seen one new Charger on the road this past month, versus 3 GTOs in two years....In Florida every other car is an '05 Stang. Hopefully the new Challenger does just that - Challenges.

That being said I am somewhat concerned with what some of the test drivers of "our" new Charger are writing - A/C blowing warm (and loud), a lack of balls, etc. I'm more than a year away from buying anything so I hope they straighten out whatever bugs their $32,000 car comes with by then.
  • Options
    petshoppetshop Member Posts: 2
    It seems like the dealers are not helping dodge move cars through production. I thought I had seen it all with a $5000 markup until I saw an RT recently with a $9995 markup in the SF/bay area, putting the total at $46K . I had to do a name check to make sure it said dodge and not lexus on the back of the car
  • Options
    jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    Yeah, I agree. Although, I wonder about the A/C issues, my parents have the Hemi Durango and we thought the air was broken until we all realized that the recirculate feature wasn't on, this will take the cold air from the cabin and recirculate it through the system rather then bringing in hot outside/engine air to keep cool. Lack of balls, I think the driver complained because of the V6 that was test driven, haven't heard that complaint with anything equipped with the HEMI, even in the Heavier Magnum and Rams.
    Hoping that the Challenger Challenges, just confused and disappointed by the proposed car being built on an LX platform, HEAVY?? I like the new Stang, just can't buy one knowing that a higher horse power version will be coming out later on, don't want to have the slowest horse in town ya know? I like the Charger for what it is, a rear drive V8 with a HEMI, I don't like it because of what they made the Charger into. I don't mind the 4 doors, after all the 99 concept was just that, just that big flat truck grill and shared parts with a wagon. Aside from that I'm waiting a while before buying anything. The Challenger intrigues me so I doubt I'll consider the 300 C SRT unless a really good deal comes along. I live in Jersey and have yet to see a Charger on the road. I have seen very few at any dealers.
    One thing that I loved about going to FL was all of the hoped up cars, was down there last summer and every Ram, Magnum, Durango and 300C had wheels and exhausts on them.
  • Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    "I will say in the Mustang's or GTO's defense, you don't buy them for fuel economy. If you want fuel economy, then maybe a muscle/pony car is not for you."b>

But the MDS would improve fuel economy. Any experience with how much?
  • Options
    heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    The Charger and Avalon are different cars? Really? Please, the question and comparison was on the trunk space of the vehicles ... not on anything else. Nothing against Toyota since they do built good vehicles, but they do not build anything at all worth my interest in visual appeal ... nothing. They use to make a Supra that was worth looking at, but that was "long" ago.

Also, thanks for the "urge" offer, but I have "been there", "done that" ... and ... "got the T-shirt" in seeing the vehicles first hand, and since I own one of them too. I do know what you mean by the numbers, and you are correct in the visual factor, but in my opinion the truck size is still large in the Charger. Maybe just a difference of opinion, but I think you took your over-skeptic mind maybe too far in making the trunk space sounding like it was the size of Aveo or something. Speaking of a skeptic mind ... you should have known I had one already since I was already questioning your review comment about the Charger trunk space.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I had to laugh - you said:

This car will appeal to many people. I am 58 and my wife is 27 and she loves it.
    No I'm not bragging--just lucky

I presume the "not bragging" part is about the Hemi R/T Charger. Out here in California, we all have 27 year old wives. :)
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Total trunk size is not USABLE size.

Try to put a 24in x 24in x 24in box in the Charger' trunk, or most other cars for that matter.

Putting 100 shoe boxes or 25 bags of groceries is not much of a test.

Can you go to the store and buy something in a fair size box and put it in the trunk. In the Charger I say no, in a Crown Vic I would say yes. I am not saying buy a Crown Vic. But the Crown Vic trunk has a real usable volume.
  • Options
    tacoboytacoboy Member Posts: 25
    I'm trying to get rid of the minivan and go with something a bit sportier, but it still has to handle the family functions. Has anyone put 2 child seats in the Charger yet? How about 3? Also, I'm not rich by any means and would be looking at an SE. Has anyone driven this model? Impressions? FYI I'm also considering a Ford Freestyle, Mazda 5 and Saturn Vue Redline.
  • Options
    knightmare65knightmare65 Member Posts: 20
    When I test drove the Charger SXT, my wife and I quickly fell in love with the car. The trunk is big enough for me. I love the design of the car, it looks very intimidating. Even though it sports a V6, it still takes off. If you want to take off like a muscle car, turn OFF the ESP. The A/C works fine, you have to put in the recycle position. I find every excuse to drive my Charger, even if its a very short distance. The 2006 Charger is the best vehicle and the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven, and I have driven many vehicles.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It looks like a car you can spot a mile away and has character. :)

Also, it is not a 'Pony car' or a GTO competitor. If it was "the new Intrepid", it wouldn't get alot of attention.

And, to counter the quote, "Look at how dismal the GTO has been". Sale are way up this year, and meeting GM's target. It is selling hot in So. California where GM needs to make a statement. It was not meant to sell more than 15,000.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    We were in the same position as you, coming out of a Town & Country minivan. We went with the Magnum over the Charger or Chrysler 300 due to the cargo space issues. The Magnum has so much more cargo space than either the Charger or 300. We love the Magnum in every way. You can still likley find a 2005 Magnum at end of year pricing and with the 7/70 powertrain warranty that the 2006 models don't have any more. The end of year pricing might let you step up to the mid level car with the 3.5 V-6 instead of the smaller one.
  • Options
    ilovetrailersilovetrailers Member Posts: 27
    Looks like we"ll be moving west.
    In Missouri I'm just a dirty old man.
    I still feel lucky to have her and a Charger R/T.

Averaging 23+ mpg in mostly highway driving. A/C now working fine.
  • Options
    wacowaco Member Posts: 2
    Ok, so I was just messing around with photoshop a little to show what I think the new Dodge Charger should look like. I'm more of a Mopar fan than I am a Ford fan, but I gotta admit, Ford did the new Mustang justice in every way imagineable. When I heard Dodge was bringing back the Charger I had the highest expectations. Never in a million years did I expect a 4 door sedan. I love the styling of the new Charger, but common...4 doors? Something with the name "Charger" was not meant to have 4 doors. The Charger is the epitomy of the Muscle Car. So yeah, like I was saying, I love the styling, but just lose the 4 doors, shorten it up a bit and voila!!! Who out there agrees with me? Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
  • Options
    Looks nice with 2 doors, but I prefer 4 doors. The Charger loses nothing with 4 doors. The new design is meant to have 4 doors, and besides, it still looks like a bad-[non-permissible content removed] muscle machine with 4 doors. I have kids, I need the 2 back doors. It is easier for them to get in and out because they are older (12 & 15). Also, I can be driving other adults with me, need the 4 door sedan. Another thing, it's easier to clean the back seat floors with a 4 door sedan. The 4 door muscle car doesn't bother me one bit. Maybe you can write and beg Chrysler to make the 2007 Charger with both 2 and 4 doors. Car makers used to do that. I had a 1972 Chevy Nova, 2 door coupe, but a friend of the family had a 1970 Nova 4 door sedan. Maybe they can make the V6's and R/T V8's with 4 doors, and the SRT and Daytona's V8's with 2 doors. I don't think Chrysler was looking at the 20 year male when bringing back the Charger, they were looking at older guys/ gals in their mid late 30's and older. Anyway you look at it, the 2006 Charger is the most intimidating and best looking vehicle out there, and has the muscle to back it up.

BTW, you can insert at least 2 child seats in the back. If the Charger were a 2 door, this would be a pain in the butt.

I've seen a few GTO's riding around the DC and Baltimore metro areas, but not many. They are OK looking, but they don't impress me at all. The new Stang's looks are appealing though. First thing Ford has done right in 35 years. But like the Intrepid, every other car I see is the new '05 Mustang. I do not wish to own one, especially with a puny V8 in it.
  • Options
    needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 1
    Who knows the "limited" production numbers for the Daytona R/T. What "status" should I look for one to be in if I am want to put a deposit on an order for one?
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    When I hear a personal review that sounds "too bad to be true"--I feel compelled to reply. My 75 year old mother decided to replace her 1994 Intrepid ES (with all of 47,000 miles) and was immediately taken with the Charger. She had NO interest in the 300 or Magnum. Took delivery of an Inferno Red SXT with no significant options just last week. My 2000 Intrepid ES was having routine maintenance and some detailing done, so I drove her new car for two days.
    The driving position is roomy and comfortable (at 6'3" and a solid 250). The seats were supportive and adjustable and had plenty of lumbar support--lumbar adjustments are standard on both front seats. The rear seat is roomy--though perhaps not quite so much as the 300 and Magnum--perhaps due to the roof line of the Charger. The two female passengers I had back there had sufficient room for themselves, their swim gear, and a gaggle of Barbie dolls, Kim Possible spy gear and assorted "stuff".
    The trunk is roomy and deep with access through the rear seats. No, it's not quite so deep as the Intrepid; but you can argue 4 square feet one way or another for days if it toasts your bagels to do so.
    The 3.5 V6 and 5 speed autostick are a nice combination--clearly as quick or quicker (according to reviews) than the 3.2 in my Intrepid. Car and Driver recently clocked a 300 Touring with 3.5 and 4 speed to 60 in 7.3 seconds. When you run the gears you get some nice induction and exhaust noises as well. This was an added bonus! No, you won't peel mileage from your tires at take-off, but as the revs rise so does the thrust.
    As ALL Autosticks have done since their creation--this one also drops to 1st gear after a complete stop. While coasting with the Autostick in 3rd, it dutifully remained there as my speed decreased (and I didn't apply the brakes) until I accelerated.
    The A/C worked fine--never needing to go above the second fan setting to keep us cool. Even with temps approaching 90 here in PA. When you first start the car and engage the A/C it did blow warm for several seconds. I'm assuming this is simply the compressor kicking in as opposed to some horrible Daimler design flaw just waiting until 36,001 miles to self-destruct (sarcasm intended).
    The stereo--both radio and CD--worked well and the Boston Accoustic speakers standard on the SXT are clear and crisp, if not overpowering.
    A good job done I think....
  • Options
    Waco ... Great job with the etch-a-sketch!!! It's great to see what the Charger would look like with just 2 doors, but I would imagine the same length of the vehicle, but with longer doors. Would be great if Dodge could come out with a 2 door version quickly to compete with the Stang ... rather than waiting so long for the Challenger. Would be funny to see an aftermarket part to hide the rear door handles :P
  • Options
    "The Charger loses nothing with 4 doors."

As evident in your photoshop, The Charger as it is, is very close to a coupe styling but with the added practicalness that comes with 4-doors.
  • Options
    wacowaco Member Posts: 2
    But isn't that what the Magnum R/T Hemi is for? Why have two muscle sedan like cars?
  • Options
    The Magnum is a station wagon, no trunk. The Charger is a 4-Door car with a trunk. I don't think it's a bad thing to have different types of muscle cars in the same lineup.

For me, if you're going to have a back seat that will need to seat people, my opinion is that you should have back doors too.
    :D
  • Options
    The Magnum and the Charger both line up with a lot of similarities in specs. Dodge is merely giving options to two distinct buyers. Those who want more of an SUV/hatchback with muscle and those who want a sedan with muscle.
  • Options
    thecaptainthecaptain Member Posts: 2
    When all is said and done, one thing remains when car shopping....how is the ride.
    I test drove an SXT today and really enjoyed it. Having been in a 300 and now the Charger I really could not tell and difference in the ride between the two, has anybody else compaired the rides, I would appreciate your input.
  • Options
    Anyone looking to purchase a Charger or any other Chrysler vehicle should wait until Chrysler offers an employee discount similiar to what GM is offering in order to bolster sales. Chrysler will be offering this soon in order to bolster sales lost to GM due to the generous discounts offered by the General. Those that are non believers please turn to Page D-3 of the Wall St. Journal.
  • Options
    The guy in the next office over to mine just priced a Chrysler Town & Country with the new fold-down seats - And was quoted $20,000 !! If THAT'S not a deep discount I don't know what is - my 1997 Town & Country was over $31,000 new...imagine a 2005 vehicle at 1993 prices...All DC has to do is advertise the fact that they're in the discount game too...
  • Options
    In April, my wife and I lease a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT for about $30,000. Then in late May I get the Charger SXT for close to $30,000. And now Chrysler is going to have the same sale as GM is doing now. It figures, let me grab my ankles. :(

The stow and go is an excellent feature in the new Chrysler mini vans.
  • Options
    1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    It's probably a "base" LWB T&C LX with the 3.3 liter engine. The similar Dodge version if the Grand Caravan SE Plus. It's not such a stretch, especially if the dealer's been sitting on that low-end model for a while. He probably wants to blow it out before the '06 models start to roll in.
  • Options
    eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    Let me start by saying that I had a 1969 charger with a 383 4 barrel. That car could cook ! Just looked at the rt version. The saleman really wanted me to take it . I can take off several hundred dollars he said Several posts up it is mentioned of discounts coming?? Should I hold ?
    This board and the infoe it provides saved my wife thousands last month on a honda pilot. We got a deal that this is still $4000. better then anyone on the honda board !!
    What do you people think ??
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    I have a 71 Charger 500, good to know you had the old school, "real" Charger. I would wait. Yesterday's Wall St. Journal reported that Chrysler will be offering employee discounts on their cars the way GM is doing. I'm sure the Viper is excluded from this. If the Charger is fair game for the discount, hold off and wait till the official announcement from Chrysler. I've suddenly gained interest in a Hemi powered product just for the sheer savings. Unless you need a car immediately, I'd wait, it is going to happen.
  • Options
    eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the infoe !! I'm not in any hurry to get a new car. Approx how much discount could be on the way ?
    I was 17 when I convinced my mom that her next car had to be the 69 charger ! I would let her drive it every once in awhile !!

Am I nuts for wanting to visit the past ??
  • Options
    Not nuts at all! I wish the 2009 Challenger were out now, wouldn't mind a sweetheart deal on one of those.
  • Options
    robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    The article said the employee discount was 3-4% off, which I assume is MSRP.
    So what's the big deal? If I have the invoice numbers from Edmunds, then I have everything needed. It just comes down to the dealer fee, and the advertising fee they'll try to add on.

What I'm wondering, is what kind of deals people are getting right now?
    Are the dealers working with people who have Edmunds numbers? What kind of dealer fees are people finding out there?
  • Options
    mm2097mm2097 Member Posts: 6
    I have been told that you can order the Daytona R/T now. The only problem is, they are only making them in Mango right now. I'm waiting for the Banana but have no idea when that will be released. I'll certainly wait for the employee discount!
  • Options
    petshoppetshop Member Posts: 2
    Well I am now the proud owner of a Dodge Charger R/T, thanks hammerauto.com (bay area) who got me a great deal that no-one else could come close to matching. carsdirect.com wanted 1500+ mrsp, (btw they have a 'website problem' so the price they display isn't the price you will pay) Cheapest dealer wanted 5000+MRSP, worst dealer wanted 10000 on a fully loaded machine.

To counterpoint some of the comments already posted here, Trunk is huge, easily swallows suitcases and strollers. AC is ice cold and sensor goes to 66F (over 100 here) Acceleration is 'fling you back in the seats fast'. Freeway ride is ultra quiet and smooth. Premium sound is booming without any bass adjustment.
  • Options
    mm2097mm2097 Member Posts: 6
    It's amazing that they are adding to the sticker price. I found one dealership adding $3k, not too bad compared to the #'s you've seen. I have since found another dealer who is actually $6k under, they don't add to the sticker and the sticker is $3k less than that other dealership. I love hearing all the good things, I'm DYING to get my Daytona!! :)
  • Options
    gatogonowgatogonow Member Posts: 17
    My wife just purchased the o6 Charger RT. Sticker with freight was $31,580.00. When I subtract what Edmunds shows her trade was worth (Kelly BB within $100), price was $1,954.00 off sticker. Dealer has a $100.00 Doc. fee and $450.00 dealer fee, so actual was $1,404.00 off sticker. This reoresebts about $1K above dealer costs.

By the way, air very cold and trunk very large!
  • Options
    Read an article saying that the program starts this July 6th ... see this link: http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102711

Happy 4th to all ... :shades: ">link title
  • Options
    chicagodrive1chicagodrive1 Member Posts: 64
    Looks like the Mitsubishi Galant.

Doesn't Chrysler/Dodge share platforms with Mitsubishi. Obviously not an expert, but from the photos, are these two cars derived from the same platform?

I wonder if dealers will affix an "01" and rebel flag decals as an option?
  • Options
    Never thought about the "Dukes" look offering from the dealers ... interesting idea. But I wonder how the whole flag deal will go down in the South here? :)
  • Options
    When I showed my Charger to my cousin, she was in awe with the car. She told me that her boyfriend wanted the new Charger and wanted the Dukes of Hazzard horn sound. I told her that her boyfriend should wait until the orange Daytonas come out, then see if they can get the horn to sound like Dixie. She also told me to see if I too can get my horn to sound like Dixie. My Charger is magnesium pearlcoat, it just wouldn't be the same.
  • Options
    Well folks ... they announced the discount program, but only on select vehicles only! Which means ... no Chargers, Magnums or 300's. What a load of garbage! :mad: Oh well ... back to the drawing board ...
  • Options
    I'm kinda glad not to see that the Charger is on the list for the Employee Discount. If it were, my wife would of been kicking my butt all the way to the dealership and back for purchasing the car in May.
  • Options
    bucktimbucktim Member Posts: 1
    I've been running the build and price on SE's for the last few days, and now I see that the "Convenience Group I" is INCLUDED, where just a few days ago it cost $505. Whats the deal, local sticker prices show it as 505? Also on edmunds/cars it lists option WPR - 18" polished aluminum wheels, but is that a option on SE's because I dont want steel rims with covers,yet I dont see that option on dodge.com. Is it something I can ask the dealer for. First time new car buyer and the SE is at the max $$ for me.

Thanks
  • Options
    I took another look at the Dodge website and as far as the wheels go, the SE model gets hubcaps, no rims. There's not many, if any, options for the SE model which stinks. With Edmonds.com, it appears that they are catagorizing the models by either 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder, not by SE, SXT, R/T, etc. I have the SXT model which basically has every option in the R/T models except the 5.7 liter engine. I thought $35K was a bit much for the R/T model and all the options that I have with the SXT. Besides, I would find myself getting into traffic violations. The 3.5 liter is plenty fast enough. I do have the 18" rims that are on the R/T models which I like very much. Even if you do choose to get the SE model, you will enjoy the autostick and the ride.
  • Options
    acjoyalacjoyal Member Posts: 2
    I just looked at the base model Charger today and fell in love with the car. My quesiton is, is the base model worth it? The hemi is out of my price range, plus I don't need all that power. I don't know much about Dodge's, but how's the reliability on them? Obviously since the Charger is a new model, there isn't much info about maintenance, etc. Also, is the vehicle kid friendly at all? Basically, the body style is such a head-turner and I want to look good in the car!
  • Options
    hemigodhemigod Member Posts: 3
    Hopefully I can help with some of your questions...I just bought my black 5.7 two days ago after doing about 3 months of research. I've read you probably shouldn't buy the base model unless your name is Avis or Hertz...4000 pounds+ is a lot of weight to push from a small V6, but the mid-level Chargers are inexpensive enough that you might still be able to afford them. The reliability should be pretty good since the Magnum and the 300s have been out for a year now, and Dodge took a lot of the improvements from those lines and incorporated them into the '06 Charger, so even though it is an intro model, it's kind of like a 2nd year car. Plus, the Mercedez transmission solves what has notoriously been the big problem for Dodge. Kid friendly? Spacious back seats, child-safety locks on windows and doors, great AC, and more. Very child-safe. And I can't even get through a drive-thru without being asked about the car. My God, what a gorgeous vehicle. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back or you might see a bunch of cars getting smaller in your rear-view window.
  • Options
    As I have stated before, 3.5 liter is plenty fast. Remember, the 3.5 has 250 HP. Thats enough to get you in trouble, trust me. Yesterday while driving on the interstate, a driver of a Corvette decided to cut me off. So, after he cut me off, I proceded to practically tailgate him. Then he moved into the other lane, I punched the gas pedal, and off I went, blowing by him like he was standing still. I could feel the G's pulling me. The 3.5 liter can handle almost 4000 lb. of car with ease. Turn the ESP off, and the V6 Charger is a rocket, trust me. ;)
  • Options
    carsareuscarsareus Member Posts: 10
    The Charger has taken many cues from the 300, CTS, Magnum and other cars, and they have put their own twist on this new kind of design. Personally I like the idea of this new genre of vehicle, the family muscle car. My only problem with the car is the ugly interior that asks just asks for stains.

For a great review check out carlist.com
    http://www.carlist.com/newcars/2006/ncr_321.html">link title
  • Options
    hemigodhemigod Member Posts: 3
    Was thinking the base model had the 2.7 like the Chrysler...my mistake. Like Knightmare65 said, the 3.5 should cook.
  • Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,286
    Was the Vette trying to keep up?
This discussion has been closed.