Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• bmanningbmanning Member Posts: 5
    Lance,

The Charger starts at $23000 the RT starts at $29000. They are all 4 door and do not have hideaway headlights. I have an RT and it's comfortable and fast. Handles good to.

Bob
    I also like the Charger. They could have given it another name and it would'nt matter. I have an RT and it's like a luxury car with a whole lot of power.
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
    A friend sent me the new dodge site with prizes and more of the cool clips that were available on the build it better flash site. Thought I would pass it along to you all:

http://www.unleashyourfreak.com/index.tbapp?page=freaks&email=&session_id=j8wpwi4h28y7olka-

I wonder if younger audiences are responding to these types of things?
    Your problem was just on the hood. Mine is in several spots all over vehicle. I did not see spots at purchase cause of darkness. I feel the dealer is responsible for pre sale inspection.
  • knightmare65knightmare65 Member Posts: 20
    Even thought the Charger SRT model hasn't been publicly priced, the Chysler 300's have been priced. They are starting a little over $42,000, so I think the Charger SRT will probably be around $40,000, but not below $38,000.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Invoice on the SRT-8 is around $33,000.
  • aab4aab4 Member Posts: 39
    2006 Dodge Charger SRT-84dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A) MSRP Invoice

National Base Price $35,320 $32,893
    Optional Equipment $3,795 $3,491
    AY3 SRT Option Group III $2,550 $2,346
    AY2 SRT Option Group II $1,245 $1,145

Destination Charge $675 $675
    Gas Guzzler Tax $2,100 $2,100
    Total with Options $41,890 $39,159

Hope this helps!!!

Real pricing will be 5K or higher over MSRP during first few months, and then it will come back down. Based on Supply and Demand Economics.

So expect around 47K range.
  • grizzly4grizzly4 Member Posts: 12
    I live in Montana and I'm thinking about buying a Charger. Has anyone had any experience with this vehicle on slick roads? I drive a lot and I'm concerned with snow and ice.
  • eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    I'm actually wondering about the samething. I now live in Fl but maybe moving back to my home state, NJ.. I know that my 69 charger handled like crap in bad weather. I'm hoping that this one does better.
  • bee7bee7 Member Posts: 15
    Pricing has been out for a little while at dealers.

It is now on Edmunds own site.

Chances of getting one this year, unless you're willing to pay a premium,
    are slim.
  • jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
    Hopefully, since this car is based on the 300 and magnum lines, their performance will be an indicator. I've had similar questions since I haven't driven RWD cars for a couple of decades and sure don't miss getting stuck in snow and pushing. Been reading in the AllPar, Charger and LX forums too and found this article (hope it's OK to post the link here) http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/lx-cars-snow.html
  • grizzly4grizzly4 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the help. Very informative article. Any comments from others is apreciated.
  • robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    I wrote last week about visiting Monarch Dodge and talking to Jeffrey Fair.
    Today we went back and ordered an SXT for $100 over invoice.
    We ended up getting a $500 rebate, and a $750 special rebate for Dade and Broward counties due to hurricane Katrina. This isn't a joke, they can't advertise it because it would look bad if they talked about it on TV, they just give the rebate.

I ended up ordering the SXT in midnight blue, 18" wheels, Sirius, upgraded radio (6 disc). The numbers match Edmunds. They add two advertising fees from the manufacturer. These two fees will say DAA ($235) and PPA/EB-PF ($235), and these fees vary depending on where you are and can not be negotiated. They also add $15 for 8 gallons of gas, and $25 for owner loyalty mailing. There's also a $5 tire fee, and a $1.50 battery waste fee from Florida. Add Tax, subtract rebates ($1250), add estimated tag fee ($97) and I end up at

$26084.23

I put 1k down, the car will be built in about 40 days. Jeffrey can track it once the building starts. It goes in stages, and he knows exactly where the car is at all times. He even knows what train the car is on, and the exact position on the train because they have GPS tracking.

There was no haggling in this deal. Jeffrey was very nice, it was like having a quiet conversation while he filled out the work sheet and we talked about how the process of tracking the car as it's built. Now I wait 40 days.

If you live in South Florida, please give Monarch Dodge and Jeffrey Fair a call. Ask your dealer about the $750 rebate for Dade and Broward counties. The $500 rebate lasts for another month, then it's over. Not sure how long the $750 rebate lasts, act quickly.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    hmmm.doesn't encouraging in the real world, to me. the editor spun the tires from a dead stop...absolutely a no-no in the snow. maybe with time, you would get acclimated to rwd, again (for us old timers) but it would definitely require more concentration and attention to throttle application than a fwd platform.
  • jrnyacejrnyace Member Posts: 21
    I bought a Black RT. I love this car-except for the cheap plastic Fake chrome that clips around the ship knob. I bump it and it pops out-anybody else noticing this?
    I meant shift knob.(small chrome rectangular snap in piece)
  • newmembernewmember Member Posts: 2
    i also see it your way,looked a long time before i purchased,and finally bought a charger RT ,drove the new impala SS ,but i felt the charger had more going for it,it draws alot of looks from people and have a lot say they like it,have only had it for a week but it drives really well and a lot of power and smoothness,but it is not the charger of the 70s, but more like a muscle family car , but i like it
  • newmembernewmember Member Posts: 2
    hi ,i am new to the forum but i saw your post on the sxt,i have a charger RT ,i also tried out the sxt with the 3.5 highoutput,nice car also,probably would have been the smartchoice,but i dont always make the smart choice,anyway the sxt had a lot of power from 250 hp. i also have a 97 intrepid sport i bought new in 97,with a 3,5 liter 215 hp engine ,it reccommends 89 octane ,but gets 27mpg on the road, the new 3.5 is probably very nice engine and probably runs on 89 as well,but dont quote me on that ,but it is a small power house. the charger SE my daughter is looking at has the same exact engine and trans,but sells for a lot less,i had 3 dealers to tell me they send out the Se and have nice leather interior put in them at probably 1600.00 less than going with factory and a better grade and many more colors to chose from, and look very nice ,because on dodge to get leather you have to go with the sxt package first #27g and then add around 500.00 more to get the leather trim seats.total 3500.00 Wow, any way she can add her own wheel package and still save at least 2,000.00.Something to think about.
  • hercherc Member Posts: 8
    jrnyace,

I've had no interior defects including the chrome trim around the shifter. About the only significant complaint I'd have is that the soft touch pieces seem to hold fingerprints in the form of a kind of white chalky look. Kind of annoying. My Jeep does the same thing. I have a Daytona RT and so far it's great.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    In case you missed it: Full Test: 2006 Dodge Charger RT.

What do you think?
    Has anyone else read the latest issue of MotorTrend? A few readers voiced their dissapointment in the NEW Charger. I think these readers missed the point of the NEW Charger. It was designed as a sedan for a reason. Try stuffing 5 people in a mustang. I don't know about anybody else-but I love this car-and I drove a Mustang. The Charger is much more practical.I just wish that MOTOR TREND would post more letters supporting the Charger instead of bashing it.
  • robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    It's like I've said before, the marketing on the Charger needs to change.
    They're pushing the big Hemi sports car angle. Yet the first version is a 4 door automatic. Doesn't matter how big the engine is, just the fact that it's not a stick turns off the hot rod fans. Right now, the correct marketing angle would be that it's a bigger car than the imports, with similar gas mileage in the V6. It's too bad the car magazines are looking for the performance angle, instead of the other good things. I see all the imports on the road, the BMWs, the Accords, the Altimas, and think how tiny and plain they look. There is nothing wrong with a V6 Charger, that's why I ordered one.
  • joyco191joyco191 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone around 6'6 driven one of these? How's the leg/head room?
    I'm 6'4" and the head and leg room are exceptional. I'm sure that you've already heard about the front windsheild being so low that you have to duck down to see the traffic lights. It takes some getting used to-but overall this is a very nice settup that is very ergonomically pleasing and a blast to drive. I own the RT-but tested a V6 and it's more potent then I thought!
  • jgrimesjgrimes Member Posts: 1
    I grew up in muscle cars. When I was a kid our family car was a 67 plymouth GTX. My first car was a 68 Camaro, and in my 20's I had a 65 Malibu SS. Once I settled down and had kids, cars like that didn't fit the lifestyle of a grown family man. Man did I miss those cars! I tried to compromise, but an affordable sedan with balls didn't exist.....until now.
    My Go Mango Daytona RT looks good, handles good, and goes like hell. I can still drive my family in comfort. Hell it even has a good size trunk for those family trips, and I'm grinning from ear to ear all the way there.
    I'm 6'4" 260lbs and have plenty of room. It's the first car I've ever owned that I could actually almost have the seat back to far. Now that's leg room. This car was made for people like me.

I also work on a collage campus and deal with a lot of young people that are into cars. It's a totally different mind set than the muscle car lovers. The cars they love are the SRT4's, Subaru WRX's, all the sport compact tuner cars. it's a different generation.
    Has anyone else tried the K+N cold air intake? It adds 22 peak horsepower! I bought one off of ebay and I couldn't be happier! I paid around $220.
  • tonygxptonygxp Member Posts: 56
    I ran at the track last night with a guy that had the K&N cold air intake kit on it and he ran a 14.6 & 14.4 both at 96MPH...He also had a cat-back Magnaflow exhaust, i thought these Chargers would be faster than my GXP, but so far I keep watching them run mid 14's, has anyone here ran better? By the way i run a 2005 Grand Prix GXP, stock (mostly because there's not a performance part on the market from anyone yet), it ran first time last night at Englishtown, 2k miles on it posted a 14.138 @98.39 with a 2.122 60'..temp was 64-69F..I'm going to hit atco before Nov. should hit 13.9 or better there (breaking in, colder and Atco always quicker due to the elevation)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    The driver can make a HUGE difference.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I have yet to see any definitive science that proves that K&N filters and CatBack exhaust systems offer any performance improvements. Anecdotal evidence, yes, scientific evicence, no. In fact, over on the 300C discussion I saw someone post some Dyno readings that suggested quite to the contrary.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,282
    You always have to take the HP claims of mods with a grain of salt. Everything add 50 HP and improves fuel economy. If that were so, everybody would be driving around in 500 hp cars that get 50 mpg!!! It would be the perfect blend between a Z06 and a Prius.
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    Hi all. I'm interested in the RT with the RT performance package but I can't find any near me so I have done test drives in the regular RT and the Daytona. I love the seats and handling in the Daytona but I don't really like the exhaust noise (or all the graphics). I think it sounds cheap and tinny and it drones most of the time. Also it makes you think your in a sports car and then you notice how heavy the car is instead of enjoying the luxury big car feel :) Does anyone know if the RT performance package sounds closer to the Daytona or to the regular RT? I'm hoping its closer to the regular RT. I think I'll order one if it is!
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I just bought the Charger SXT.I'm very impressed with this car.It's one of the best riding car I owned.I traded in A 2002 Intrepid Sxt and I thought that car was great.
    This charger blows away the Intrepid in ride looks.This V-6 is the same one I had in my Intrepid and it was good to me for 3years.The more I drive it the more I like It.
    Mine has the sunroof which I like and thought I wouldn't.
  • mm2097mm2097 Member Posts: 6
    I'm actually looking for information on a better exhaust for my Daytona. Anyone have any info for me? I know that I can lose some HP by changing this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :shades:
  • tonygxptonygxp Member Posts: 56
    Refering to the DRIVER,You can say that again, I went to Atco Raceway last Thurs. (Wed. at Raceway Park) and after meeting another Grand prix owner, he showed me how to launch my car and i ran a 13.905 @100.57 & 13.811 @100.96, from a best of 14.1 @98 from the night before,100% Stock!!! dropped my 60's to 2.067 from 2.2..One thing FWD isn't is easy to launch, easier to launch my old Mustang GT (and that was stick).
    Has anyone run their Chargers yet??
  • chargergirl13chargergirl13 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any experience yet driving a charger in adverse conditions (like snow)? I've been wanting one of these since before they came out, but now I live where snow is going to be an issue (uphill and downhill) and now I'm thinking I may have to sacrifice the charger for a jeep...
    FWD automatics are definitely a real pain to get just right. You should try it with a turbo! My S70 T5 can vary as much as 1.5 secs!

I'm surprised we haven't heard some Charger numbers yet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• taz2taz2 Member Posts: 1
    :) I bought my Dodge Charger Rt on Sept 3. I love it. The tire feature workes as we found out when we were in Bakersfield, CA. A light suddenly appeared and I did not know what it was, when my husband saw it he said that it was telling me that I had low tire pressure. So we looked for the red valve stem and found it. We put air in the tires and as a precaution we went to a tire store and had them look at the tire. They found a nail in the tire. We were over 200 miles from home. I am so glad of this feature :) I also love my sunroof. The only complaint I have is that I seem to have more cabin noise than my last car (96 Grand Marquis) and when I put my sunroof in the V position I hear a rattle. But overall, I LOVE MY CAR :) Love my color too, Mag. Pearl kinda like a teal green.

Taztocute
    Lakewood, CA
  • d16v149d16v149 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone Im new here. After a lemon Dakota pick-up I never thought I would drive a Mopar again but my new Hemi-Charger has made up for the past.

Is there anyone who can say what exactly is the relationship to Mercedes-Benz E-Class on the LH body? The Charger salesman made it sound like the car is a Mercedes and others have said its the old FWD LH converted to RWD with some old 96-03 Mercedes-Benz E-Class suspension and steering parts.

Whatever the case I LOVE THIS CAR! I have made it my goal to evangelize the LH and most of all the re-born Charger !
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    It has NOTHING to do with the last gen, FWD LH-series cars at all. In truth, it's a completely new, from the ground up that uses the design of a lot of Mercedes parts, but not necessarily the exact parts themselves. For instance, the rear suspension is virtually identical to the design of that on the E-class, but where MB used aluminum, they used steel for lower costs.

There are also things like the steering column, seat frames, and some electronics, such as the stability control, that are almost directly lifted straight from MB.

Basically, the design behind the new RWD LX-series cars goes like this: when Chrysler first started planning for the redesign, they knew they were going RWD and started the process of developing an appropriate platform, etc., something that ended up being made a lot easier after the merger with Mercedes, since they could now look at, replicate, and even use various components MB had already done the design and testing for, saving them time, money, and resulting in things like a rear suspension that was better from the start than anything they could have come up with for the engineering time and money allotted to them. Same with the MB-design 5-speed auto transmission.

So yeah, LOTS of MB design-based stuff, and next to nothing, except for the 2.7L and 3.5L engines, from the last gen FWD cars.
    Has anyone else had any problems when turning on the blower-Hot air blows out for the first 5 seconds before switching over to cold. Another problem I have is with the tire pressure monitoring alert. The ( ! ) lit up on the dash-but checking the air pressure- I found only 2 tires 5 lbs. lower the the other 2. Would this cause the alert to pop up?
    If i'm understanding your description correctly, that is pretty much normal for any car. Fact is, the AC compressor is not engaged until you turn on the switch, so the air CAN'T come out cold immediately. The compressor needs to kick in and the cold air needs to then circulate its way to the cabin.

• hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    They are designed to signal if a pressure is 5 lbs under the recomended presssure.
    http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm
  • jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
    ..."Has anyone else had any problems when turning on the blower-Hot air blows out for the first 5 seconds before switching over to cold"...

I believe there is a TSB for this particular AC problem. It's fixed by a computer update if I recall correctly from my reading one of the other Charger forums.
    congratulations on your Charger R/T.To bad you had to find out about the tire feature so fast, but it saved you some headaches.I have the Charger SXT with R/T wheels and tires so it looks like yours without the HEMI.I have the sunroof also that I love,but did not have the noise you mentioned.Good luck and welcome to the Charger board.
  • tsmith16tsmith16 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone experienced a loud water trickling sound in the passengers side dash when its raining? And is there a fix for it?
  • d16v149d16v149 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for advice on some kind of coating that dealer wants to apply, he says that my red Charger RT will have brush marks from car washing if I dont get the coating to protect the paint finish. I didnt want to get it so in the end they gave it to me for free but I know of an 89 Taurus that looked very bad after a few years after getting some kind of coating. Any one have an opinion on this??

THANKX - Jim
    The coating that the dealer has will not stop brush marks.Its suppose to stop your paint from fading.If you wax your car with a high grade Wax you will be doing the same thing.I would not use a brush on your car from the car wash.Thats the worse thing to do,as it will cause scratch marks.The clear coat on these cars are easy to scratch.You should use the softest material to wash and clean as well as wax.I hope this helps.
    Gosh- I couldn't think of anything worse for a new car than a car wash. Those brushes are full of cinders, rocks, and numerous other debris that will scratch the crap out of any car. Why people insist on using them is beyond me. Like the previous message states-washing your car intelligently is the best way to do it. Spray all the heavy mud, bird poo and other debris off first. It's even a good idea to go through with a rag soaked in kerosene and wipe down the lower panels that may have flecks of tar on them before your washing. Soft cloth and sponges are the best to use. Stay away from those "dip in the bucket" scrubbing brushes on a stick-like the ones at the ready-washes. Those spray on coatings that promise to eliminate waxing are a farce. I used MOTHERS liquid wax on my RT and it's absolutely stunning. I learned my lesson when I bought a new $2000.00 sofa with the fabric protector-only to peek in the back warehouse to see a couple of morons spraying it down with cans of protectant that I could have purchased myself for $10.00. Good luck waxing.
  • miranda1miranda1 Member Posts: 7
    Rob,
    I read about your $100 over invoice deal with interest and excitement. I am confused, however, because I did the math and came up with a very different set of numbers.

For the V6 at $100 over invoice, I get $23482, $2602 less than your quote of $26084. I was hoping you could explain this discrepancy, because it looks to me that you are paying at least $1000 OVER MSRP, not $100 over invoice. From Edmunds:

Invoice MSRP
    20758 22320 Base price V6
    2944 3200 SXT package
    138 150 18" wheels
    179 195 Sirius
    ------------------
    24019 25685 Subtotal
    100 100 add $100 over invoice
    613 613 (add Fees you mentioned
    -------------------$235+$235+$15+$25+$5+$1.5+$97)
    24732 26398 Subtotal
    1250 1250 subtract rebates ($500 + $750)
    -----------------
    23482 25148 Total after adding fees and deducting Invoice MSRP rebates

You may reply to me via private email if you prefer. stuff@pumpkinhill.net
This discussion has been closed.