Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Naturally I'd have to disagree with that also. Handling, styling, roll over protection and more rigid body are but a few things the SL has over the SC. Styling, well thats a personal thing and to me the SC430 isn't in the same league as the CLK500 and SL imo. The SC didn't create a market when the CLK has been there since 1999. I'll give Lexus credit for at least trying to offer a bargain priced SL hardtop and all, but the SC needs to lose the useless rear seats and/or become a true 4-seat CLK competitor and actually allow people to use those 2 extra seats. Either way it still loses out to even a Cadillac in driving dynamics.

Now an IS convertible sounds good to me, if they keep the styling as good as the sedan's appears to be so far. I doubt that a V8 will be used though.

M
  • mikegillermikegiller Posts: 602
    What are some of your favourite colours that you would like to see on the new IS 350. I'm hoping to see a bright, intense, red... like the red that was offered on the MKIII Supra (like the G35 coupe toreador red except MUCH better... I guess the SC 430 red), maybe an orangey yellow like on the lamborghini gallardo, a bright, deep blue, and a nice mettalic tan. Any unordinary/uncommon colours anyone wants to see on the new IS?

How bout leather tones? One complaint I have with Lexus is the lack of selection of different tones of leather. Offer a saddle tan leather like they have in the SC in the new IS. How about some other colours of leather. Anybody with me on this?

Heres a photoshop job I did with the new IS. I like this colour although whne I buy the new IS in a few years I would probably get a dark silver or red; maybe even a bright blue.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    looks like you've got a linking problem there.
    What do I need to do to make it work? I can see it just fine. Please let me know; I'm relatively new to Edmunds. :)
    You can see it because the picture is locally on your computer, probably in your browser cache. Make sure the image is hosted properly. Traditional "img src" html code should work. If its still not working, just put in a url for the picture.
    What are some of your favourite colours that you would like to see on the new IS 350. I'm hoping to see a bright, intense, red... like the red that was offered on the MKIII Supra (like the G35 coupe toreador red except MUCH better... I guess the SC 430 red), maybe an orangey yellow like on the lamborghini gallardo, a bright, deep blue, and a nice mettalic tan. Any unordinary/uncommon colours anyone wants to see on the new IS?

How bout leather tones? One complaint I have with Lexus is the lack of selection of different tones of leather. Offer a saddle tan leather like they have in the SC in the new IS. How about some other colours of leather. Anybody with me on this?

Heres a photoshop job I did with the new IS. I like this colour although whne I buy the new IS in a few years I would probably get a dark silver or red; maybe even a bright blue.

DON'T TRY AND TELL ME THIS IS NOT AN ATTRACTIVE CAR...DON'T!! :P

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    School Bus Yella!

That's......Stylin'! :P

DrFill
  • rotoryfanrotoryfan Posts: 111
    Thanks for taking the time with photoshop...it is nice to see the car in different colors. BTW, there are pics of an IS in "Glasier blue" (a GS color) out on the net (I would have posted it here but had difficulity with the link).

The IS might look very good in the deep red available on the current Aston Martin. Or one of the lighter grey-green colors.

I have read the opinion that "certain cars look best in certain colors" - I am not sure what that color is for the IS... maybe it is just a personal taste thing or maybe certain colors do accentuate the "scuptured" effect of a car's lines. I don't know...

Cheers
    ...on interior colours... a topic nobody has touched on yet... any unique colours like cherry red or blue people would like to see in the IS maybe even an amber brown.
    The only Lexus ever to come with a truly out there interior was the SC430 pace car. I wouldnt expect much more than the usual tan\gray\black offerings in the IS.

I found this picture of the lexus lf-c on the internet on google image search. This is a beautiful car and a pic that i have not yet seen of the LF-C because the grille in this picture is different than the other pictures of the LF-C. This model will easily make it to the showrooms and should be a smash hit! I hope they do not alter the body style very much.

Here's another pic. GORGEOUS!!!

It definitely makes the SC430 look awfully plain by comparison. The drawing in particular is striking.
    I am a strong believer that if you add more choices of colours to the leather in the IS that people will better individualize their cars and make them more unique hence, another reason to buy an IS; for the exclusivity of having the car; most people may not have the same configuration as you (well at least that you may know of :) ). I say having 5-6 tones of leather would be ideal. I am thinking tan, grey, black, brown, cherry like in the SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition (Black on Cherry), and finally a saddle tan like in the SC 430 and LS 430. This may be a good thing to market and why should this cost/hurt the manufacturer all that much? Any other suggestions? Does anybody out there care? lol

I'm enjoying posting these pictures :)

On a SC430, it is reasonable to have a low volume car offer more individualized options and colors.

If the IS is supposed to sell 40-50k a year, i wouldn't wait for 6 different colors in the interior.

That LF-C may become THE car, based on Lexus' track record. Lexus' concepts are much more aggressive than their production cars, but that is common with all makers. Lexus says they will start putting more into their new car's designs, so this is a good place to start.

DrFill
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I hope it looks better than those pics. Looks way too much like a Honda S2000 to me.

M
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    shrug...to me I see not enough doors, a hood that's too long and no passenger/trunk space. to each his own.
    I think the IS drop-top will at least be the start of a real change-course from Lexus. Just as the G coupe is a little more daring than the G sedan, I'd really like to see Lexus go all out with the IS drop-top and make a *gasp* sexy car with an L badge on it. Make it the spiritual successor to the '92 SC400 coupe, since the SC430 definitely wasnt.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    that'd be nice. the old sc400/300s are still attractive cars!
  • newcarmannewcarman Posts: 55
    So when will the new 2006 IS be available for orders??

Any ideas on prices?? IS 250 about 35.000$ with options and 350 about 40+??

I keep on hearing that the new IS will be arriving in Spetember?? Is this true?

I cant decide whether to buy the Acura TL or wait until September for the IS. The IS looks really really nice and i believe even nicer than the new GS.??
    I even think it looks much more sportier and classier.

Anybody think the same??
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,600
    I imagine that the IS will be pricier than the Acura TL. I am looking to replace my TL and it will be one of the contenders.
  • rotoryfanrotoryfan Posts: 111
    Do you know what updates will be on the '06 TL (any features to trickle down from the new RL?) - you might want to wait just to see what will be on the new TL - I think that would be a truer TL-IS comparision. Is the characteristics of front (TL) or rear wheel (IS) drive important to you?

I think it is hard to judge a car from just pictures...seeing the IS would be mandatory for me before a decision.

Based on what I have seen, the IS250 will be about the same price as current IS300, and the IS350 can push the 40K range. Arriving in probably late Sep/early Oct...

If your situation allows...maybe it would be smarter to wait a couple of months and at least read the reviews? Good luck with your decision.
  • rb1rb1 Posts: 11
    As with everyone else who's been reading and posting this 2006 Lexus IS link, I too am extremely curious about the pricing of the new Lexus IS, me more so curious about both the sedan coming in 05 for 06 and also the coupe coming in 06 for 07. First off, I'm sure that our feedback (consumers) on such sites as edmunds will be directly or indirectly be getting to Lexus in one form or another. So discussions about manual transmissions and pricing will be looked at from resources such as edmunds (that's with my assumption that Lexus/Toyota is going to play smart). I'm thinking that the IS250 will be priced the same if not higher than the current IS300. Even though horsepower numbers might be flat to down, there are tremendous improvements both inside and out. Plus if you add any reasonable options, I'm thinking that we're looking at $34k-$347k for a reasonably equipped IS250. With the IS350, its really tough to tell where they're going to start pricing. The new GS430 base price is about $9k more than the GS300 base price. I'm thinking that the IS350 will come in $5-$7k more than the IS250. With any reasonable options, your looking at a car priced in the low to mid $40k. However, that would price the Lexus above all of its competition (i.e. Acura TL, Infiniti G, Cadillac CTS, etc.) That would be comparably priced against the Audi A4, MBZ C350, and the BMW 330i, but I think the car will only be successful if they come in below these german brands. When I then think about the IS coupe, I'm afraid we're looking at a $50k plus coupe.

I'm hopeful that I'm way off, but I highly doubt it. We have to consider a completely redesigned vehicle and the improved Lexus brand. Again, I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to get my hands on either the coupe or sedan, obviously gotta drive it though. But from what I see, it should kill the dull looking 06 330i
    I havent heard anything about any significant changes to the TL for '06. The car hasnt been on the market for very long, and is selling well, so I dont see a reason for Acura to bother when they definitely have other cars that are more in need of work.

I would definitely suggest waiting to try the new IS. Also, have you considered the G35? It has two things the IS wont at least in its initial year, AWD or a 6 speed manual with the 3.5L engine (but not both at once). The IS will also be smaller than the G and TL, if thats an issue at all.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    It isn't as if anyone can buy the car before the pricing is released, so why guess and speculate?
  • cybersolcybersol Posts: 91
    If there is no guessing and speculation, then why have a forum for a future car at all :P
    my guess, based on TL and G35 prices, is $30-35 for the IS250, and maybe $36-42 for IS350. A loaded G35 goes for around $38, and the IS350 will definitely cost more than the Infiniti, if M and GS are anything to go by. The IS350 should still come in below the Germans, but not nearly as much as the Acura and Infiniti.
  • tdiddytdiddy Posts: 5
    any thoughts on the headroom? I don't fit in the Infiniti sedan, or the new GS because of the sight lines. BMW 3 series (old one) is doable but not exactly comfortable, I don't want to wait until the fall just to see the car is just too small.

Are there any other tall people out there in the luxuary sedan market?? I feel too young (21) for a family sedan but I don't want a SUV
    over $35k.

The Premium pkg and Roof SHOULD BE enough.

If I had a choice of getting Nav, or paying less than $35k for the G, I'd take the better-value price.

DrFill
    When I drove an '05 G35x, the salesman told me $36 for everything but nav, which would be $38.