Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Yup, the legal limit in Georgia is 35%. I just took delivery of my IS350 last month and I had my dealer to put on 35% ceramic tint on mine. Oh BTW, I live in Georgia too, maybe I'll see you on the road ;) .

Mine is Blue Onyx Pearl/Black
  • lexusgirl1lexusgirl1 Member Posts: 27
    LOL, I bought mine at Nalley Lexus (Roswell) as well!! :D
  • from_flfrom_fl Member Posts: 113
    Nice. Mine is also a crystal white but without body kit.

How often you wash yours? I got lovebugs all over the front bumper.

Does your front 18 rims get any break dust problem?
    I have to wash them every three weeks.
    That's too funny! I also work there in the accounting office. :)

How long ago did you buy yours?
    I have only had it 2 weeks and it has been washed a few times. Brake dust is a BIG problem I have noticed but from what I understand it is also normal.
    I took delivery of my IS350 on April 28th I believe.
  • benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    Do you know what that means??
    R ead
    Y our
    D amn
    M anual

What is wrong with people these days? Are we too &^&%)* lazy that we don't read anymore?
    There is nothing that ticks me off more than a client who expects the service guy to do a salesman's job and teach them how to use the car or it's features.
    When most people buy a car they don't want to hear all the features, all the bells, all the whistles ... all they want are the darn keys so they can drive the thing home & show it off to the neighborhood.
    Then when they want to know how something works instead of READING the manual, they bother the service person. NO NO NO ... bother the SALESMAN, after all, isn't he/she supposted to be better versed in the features & benefits of the automobile? Most probably not.
    So if you want REAL answers, take the time to READ THE MANUAL. After all, it was written by the people (read: the ENGINEERS) who ASSEMBLED the car & know how to operate it better than anyone else!

REMEMBER:
    R.Y.D.M :surprise:
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    F.O.W. Do you know what that means?.............. FIND OTHER WORK..... I believe you are a SERVICE person....See my point. Your post seems to be "shouting" at us to hear you, and obey you. Just my .02 cents. no charge.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    The guy is right on the money, though. The key to using the car is the book. Lordy, but the level of satisfaction people could attain if they'd simply crack the damn book when they take the car home.

My salesguy went over a long list of items when I picked up my car. More than I wanted him to, anyway. I believe that is part of the training regimen for a Lexus lot. So that helps a bit, but truth is most people are simply too excitied at the time to pay any attention. Matter of fact, my guy told me some customers actually get frustrated with him during the delivery orientation. They just want to drive it...
    na-ive-te 1: The quality or state of being naive...

From Websters. ;)

Honestly, you guys sound like a couple kids scared of going to the dentist! Well hey, they're your cars, and it's your money, but I've been a Lexus owner going on four years now, and I can tell you there isn't much more to recommend Lexus service over a good indy than the loaner.

I take my car to them for warranty work and major services. As soon as the warranty's up, any good shop that handles Toyota can fix any Lexus. Just having the "L" on the hood doesn't mean there's anything unusual under it...

No way I personally would buy rubber from a Lexus stand. That's basically like unloading your billfold directly into the barbecue! :sick:
    wale_bate1, you brought up a good point...warranty. I will do all the services at the dealer as long as I am under warranty so Lexus won't have any execuses to void my warranty. I know you don't have to do everything at the dealer in order to retain the warranty but I am just being cautious, very cautious in this case. Me personally I just don't like any unpleasent surprises. Once the warranty's up then I'll have 2 choices:

1. get my car served anywhere I like, or
    2. trade the car in for another IS (hopefully a redesigned one) ;)

Again, that's just me though. And yes, I am naive.
    acco20: Yes, I AM a service person. NO, I am not SHOUTING at you nor anyone else, nor am I asking that you obey me.
    I am simply stating that most people now a days are either too lazy or want someone else to do it for them. Now, I understand this is a B R O A D generalization, and I use the word "generalization" because their are exceptions to everything.
    But it really is annoying when you get someone who purchased their car elsewhere and comes in to ask questions that can be found 1) in the manual or 2) shown to them by a SALESPERSON.
    That does NOT mean that I will not help them, in most instances, I will because I am now building a rapport with the person and they will see ME for ALL their service needs. I have just WON a new client over.
    I was merely stating that it does become annoying when you have a demanding A &^&% who wants it all NOW, NOW, NOW!
    It's like this: would you bring a steak you bought at COSTCO to Ruth's Chris Or Smith & Wolensky's and ask then to cook it for you?
    OR you own a camera shop (or a widget store), a guy comes in with a camera from E-Bay, asks you all sorts of questions about the camera (picks your brain), doesn't buy anything and then has the local drug store sell & develop his film!
    How would that make you feel?
    Just MY .02 and there is NO charge
    benzoservceguy, I agreed mostly with you on that people are lazy and they definitely should read the manual before asking for help. However I don't think customers should be treated differently just because they didn't purchase the car in your dealership.

Since all Lexus dealers share vehicle's service history that meant the customer should have the freedom to choose the dealer of their convenience to the services done. Also, if a customer moves after purchased the car then he/she will have no choice but to find a different dealership for the services. Your steak and e-bay examples are totally irrelevant to this situation because customers are paying to get their services done.
    No one should be treated differently, irregardless of where they purchased their car ... but they are .. unfortunately. I've worked at stores where the policy was "Our customers FIRST, all the rest come 2nd" And "loaner cars"... what's that? (unless of course, you bought it from that store) Count your blessings you don't own the German brand with 3 letters.
    As for our store, we don't care where you bought it. We would have PREFERRED you bought it from us but in the end, it really doesn't matter. Just as long as we get to service it. We have one motto: "make the customer happy"
    And we do!
    As for the steak & e-bay reference, it was meant more to show an example of how some people use others to get "FREE" advise and then spend their monies elsewhere. Similar to going to Nordstrom's, trying on a pair of shoes for the proper size and then going home and ordering the exact same stuff on-line.
    Capiche?
    And yes, you, as the customer/end consumer have the choice to use ANY dealership that you feel most comfortable with since you are in fact PAYING for those services. But just to give a little edification, you really will be treated BETTER at the selling dealer. Unfortunately, "It's just the way it is, and some things will never change"
    I do have a few questions to ask. They are in no way an attempt to attack you, simply they are to try & understand the thinking/reasoning behind the answers given.
    Do you currently take you car to the dealer for service/repair?
    If the car were not under warranty, would you continue to do so?
    If the dealer "recommends" that you perform a brake pad replacement would you let them do it or would you take it to an independent?
    Do you think independent shops are as qualified, have the training, the tools & the know how to work on "today's" cars?
    Do you not think the dealer has your best service interests at heart?
    Would you pay a little more knowing that you would get a warranty, know the job was done right & know that "factory" or OEM (original manufacturer equipment)was being used?
    I currently own 2 Import cars - one german & one japanese. Both have long been out of warranty. One has over 106K, the other has 95K. If I need more complicated repairs (clutch, tranz, a/c, oil leaks) rather than brakes & oil changes or fluid exchanges (which I do myself) I ALWAYS take it to the dealer .. and I'm IN THE BIZ.
    You all probably know what MY answers to the above questions are.
    But here is one thing to think about ... the dealer is NOT always the most expensive. The business has changed. They can be very competitive on things such as oil changes and tire replacement. Ask next time, you might be surprised at the answers you receive.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually ... before we get into too much trouble here ... the subject is the IS 250 and IS 350. Dealership and buyer behavior in general is better addressed in one of the discussions on our Smart Shopper board.

Thanks!
    Thanks, host.

Thanks all feedbacks regarding summer tire replacement.
    I need to think about all these when the time come.

Back to IS,

The car is a masterpiece of beauty. It triggers an emotional response that others cars just don't elicit. Seeing it in person didn't disappoint. Driving it was a most satisfying experience.
    Pat, I'm thinking Maintenance would be a great spot for an Indy v. Dealer topic. I'd to shoot a quick answer here (since we're here) and then take the topic over there if anyone's interested.

benzoservceguy: valid questions and no animosity experienced or intended.

No dealership makes money selling new cars. Just doesn't happen. The margin is pitiful to begin with, the overhead enormous and the customer relations costs verging on malpractice insurance territory.

There are three profit centers in any dealership, AFAIK. The first is the F&I guy's desk (sketchy), the second is the used car mgr's desk (solid), and the third and most profitable is the service bay.

My thought is that any new car under warranty should go to the dealership for warranty work, obviously. In many cases, major scheduled service is probably best handled there as well. Minor services, which are mostly glorified oil changes with routine fluid and wear item inspections can go wherever a good independent can do them, unless a price benefit is available from the dealer. In my anecdotal experience, the price benefit has never been with the dealer.

For major non-warranty mechanicals, I can't say I would automatically defer to a dealer shop for any good reason. Mechanical is mechanical. For brand-specific major electronic items in a luxury marque, OTOH, I think the dealership is probably the best place to go, but only if the car less than seven years old. Technological exclusivity has a remarkably short half-life.

To the question first asked here: I would never buy tires from a dealership unless they price-matched the competition head-on. Now answer me honestly: would your parts mgr. go more than 10% off list for rubber, outside of extenuating circumstance? If so, your stand is unique in all the US! No dealer can do anything with rubber work that a good tire shop can't do, and the tire shops routinely do it for less. Far less, in my experience.

There are components on a brand new S class or LS or A8 or 750i that I wouldn't let anyone but a dealer's service-tech touch for at least the first three years. After that, the tech is in the market and so are the tools. Then again, it's under warranty for the first three years, so why would I? ;)

Aren't you glad I kept it short? :blush:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Excellent stuff, Wale.

If this discussion is taken elsewhere, I'll certainly follow. I do all of my routine maintenance (as does benzoservceguy) & use the dealer only when absolutely necessary. On our recently-sold 153K mile DC minivan, we used an independent to good advantage.

I had a cooling fan (hydraulic -- go figure) issue a couple of years ago that I took to a dealer & had fixed. The car wasn't long out of warranty, so I got a price break (good thing, because it was an $800 job). Later, when I was replacing a fuel filter, I learned that they'd left off several (not quite half) of the LF inner fender fasteners. Earlier I'd seen that they also forgot to put the clips back on that hold the shift boot to the console.

As I've told dealers (& independents too, for that matter) -- I can screw it up myself for free (and learn something in the process). Why should I pay you for that? That was when I had the time & inclination, both of which I have much less of these days.

If I'm paying $60-100/hr, I expect a technician who isn't a flat-rate drone. Yeah, I'm a tooth fairy, Easter bunny & Santa Claus kinda guy as well. ;)
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Flat-rate!

Prime reason not to go to most dealerships for non-warranty: book rate. If I've got two things wrong with my car, the dealer's tech writes them as two separate items and charges book for both, even if the operations have redundant steps! Charged twice for labor done once.

My independents have always given me the breakdown, ganged tasks and saved my money where possible. That's why they're all still in business, I'm thinking.

Shifty already has a thread in Maintenance and Repair: "Dealer vs. independent shop?" Let's us just relocate there, shall we?
    Thanks wale.

Dealer vs. independent shop?

Have fun!
  • txcurtistxcurtis Member Posts: 7
    I would like a little input here. After lurking here for a few weeks and doing some other research I was about ready to head to the local Lexus dealer and test drive a 350 a probably make the purchase if I could find one to my liking. However, I just ran across the info on the 07 G35. Looks pretty interesting. I have never owned Infiniti but I have been a satisfied Lexus owner in the past. Any thoughts on the 07 G35 vs. the IS350. Thanks
    Since I have been paying close attention on the new G35 as well, I guess I'll post my thoughts.

Looks to me the '07 G35 won't get an all-new redesign instead it's like a minor facelift with a M35/45 style interior. The prototype indicated that the engine has a redline at 7500 RPM (comparing to 6500 RPM for the '06) so I am assuming that it'll receive a re-tuned VQ engine. The official words from Infiniti is that it'll come with "300+" horses and some say it'll have 330 HP under the hood. But whatever that'll come out to be I'll bet that it's going to overtake IS350 in this horsepower race.

I predict the interior will move upscale quite a bit but still fall short comparing to the IS (probably will be better than E90's). By looking at the current G35, it's safe to say that the new one will have a stiffer suspension thus result in clearer road-feel than the IS which is good news for the so call "enthusiasts". Also expect to see both 5 speed AT and 6 speed MT on the new model. The coupe version will follow in 2008.

Here are some pictures:

You could buy an IS250 and put money saved as down-payment for the upcoming Son of Godzilla(Nissan Skyline GT-R). :shades:
    G35 is as portly as a GS.

Considering the porkification of this new IS over the old, going to a bigger car just means being even more detached, IMO.

Still, for all those who feel a need to whine about rear seat leg room, G35 might be just the ticket! :P
  • adamsearadamsear Member Posts: 8
    I'm very close to deciding to purchase an IS250, but I had some remaining questions, especially after being able to rent one for a day:

1) It seemed like the voice commands on the navigation were pretty lousy (computer often didn't understand my command even though I spoke clearly with the windows up, etc.) Have owners found this to be the case? Or are you able to be mostly understood and get the cooperation of the nav?

2) The suspension seemed just a little "off" going over bumps and such--almost like the shocks weren't that good. Any thoughts on this? How would you say the 250 compares in this regard with the 300 from last year?

3) Finally--I live in Los Angeles where it can get hot, and am planning on getting a black interior, but don't really know if it's worth it to spring for the cooled seats. How do others in warm climates do without having it? Also, if you do have it, do you really notice/appreciate the difference?

Many thanks.
    I'll answer your third question...

Mine has a black interior without the cooled seats and I live in Atlanta. I think the best way to go with a black interior is to get the ceramic window tint. Believe it or not it truly makes a difference. ;)
  • prime203prime203 Member Posts: 20
    just some input, i recently owned a 2004 infiniti FX35 and yea the transmission and engine were fantastic as were the tech packages but the service department was really bad at responding and fixing problems the car had (and there was always something such as malfunctioning cd player, navi, windows... list goes on) from what i have seen with my familys lexus experience (ls400, ls430, sc430) lexus service and lexus quality by far surpass infiniti and after owning an infiniti (now its sold and im working on getting an IS) i have to say in my opinion it is a truely lower tier luxury vehicle... i compare lexus with benz and bmw but now way would i compare infiniti with those 3.
    I just purchased my IS250 and haven't had a chance to sit down and figure out my Navi yet so I can't help with your 1st question.

I haven't really noticed any problems with my suspension. I can tell you that I used to have a 2001 IS300 and this car blows it away! I LOVE my IS250!!!

As far as the black interior goes I think the seat coolers (which I have) and the ceramic tint (I also have) do help but I think the exterior color has alot to do with how hot it gets inside. My IS250 is white and I think that helps keep it somewhat cooler. Darker colors (I believe) would tend to make the inside hotter. What color exterior are you considering?
  • jaybeejaybee Member Posts: 46
    I got my new IS250 AWD on Saturday, and I love it! I opted to wait for the color I wanted (glacier frost), and it took 2.5 weeks, but I am so glad I waited. The sterling interior is beautiful too. Thanks.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I haven't been able to confirm this yet. But I have heard from a few Lexus salespeople, that there is indeed (I'm 6'-2" tall) more driver leg/foot room in the RWD IS250 vs the AWD version. Is this true..?

I know that the AWD vs RWD IS250 adds about 200lbs, is a bit slower, and has poorer MPG...22/28 vs 24/32. So it's a little tough to justify the AWD..even here in NH - given all the electronics to keep the car on the road, and of course a quick trip to Tire Rack, for good set of tires..
  • adamsearadamsear Member Posts: 8
    I'm considering more of a silver-type exterior color (not sure what it's called). Tell me, did you get the ceramic tint from your dealer? What %? How much does it cost to get and how long do you have to wait for it?
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    He is probably referring to the fact that the AWD differential case (?) protrudes a bit by the gas pedal into the driver's footwell. Some people hate it, some don't notice it. Try sitting in one and see. Tim
  • cmakcmak Member Posts: 1
    What interior color did you get?
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=296570

For the 2007 model year, the IS remains pretty much the same. There is one key change though that should make many people happy. More on that later, but no, it's not a manual transmission for the IS350. For now, let's talk about colors.
    Three colors are dropped/changed from the 2006 lineup:
    Crystal White is replaced by Starfire Pearl (077)
    Black Onyx is replaced by Obsidian (212)
    Blue Onyx is replaced by Black Sappire (8U0)
    The Obsidian black is supposed to be the blackest black Lexus has ever produced and will be shared with the GS and LS. Supposedly a mirror-black finish, expect it to look astonishing - when clean.

Two items only available in packages in 2006 are now available as a standalone option: Aluminum Sport Pedals and HID/AFS. Two new standard features are an illuminated fuel/trunk opener and an additional fog lamp indicator.

The 2007 IS will sport a new shark-fin antenna. Apparently, there was a minefield of patented shark-fin designs that needed to be navigated before this could be produced, but it's a welcome change.

The biggest news though, is the addition of a VSC/VDIM defeat button. Woot! Even better is that this change was the direct result of feedback from enthusiasts (and press reviewers no doubt). Let's pat Lexus on the back for this one, briefly, before we go back to harping about manual transmission options.

Finally, we see a new, less expensive sport package which does NOT replace the ST package, the X-Package (XE):
    18" Five-spoke Super Chrome Finish Wheel with summer tires (unique design unavailable otherwise, though previously available as a JDM accessory option, see image)
    Front Air Dam (see image)
    Sport Tuned Suspension
    Aluminum Sport Pedals
    Illuminated Scuff Plates (not previously included in ST package)
  • tchoupstchoups Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an IS 250 with cashmere interior. I love the color, but definitely know that I need some all weather floor mats/liners to keep it clean. Does anyone know where I can get some goods mats for the IS 250 that will not cost an arm and a leg?
    Come over and share the mileage your cars are getting: IS 350/IS 250: MPG-Real World Numbers!
  • alex4x4alex4x4 Member Posts: 19
    I had the same problem with the cashmere floor mats. They are dirt magnets and look terrible in no time. It was so frustrating, I resorted to putting a rag on the floor. I don't have a cheap solution but I decided to buy a set original Lexus IS250 black mats. Problem solved. The black color matches the dash and looks great, and the OEM mats are a perfect fit with the Lexus logo. The black color doesn't show any of the dirt like the cashmere mats, and no more rag on the floor. The mats were $135 from the dealer which is pretty pricey, but not having the interior look like crap and feeling like I need to take my shoes off to get in the car is as they say.....priceless.

Anyone getting the cashmere interior should get the dealer to throw in a set of black mats to close the deal, trust me you will be glad you did. And if you have the AWD make sure you get the right mats, they are a different shape than the RWD.
    I work at the Lexus dealership that I bought my car from so the ceramic tint was done while I was working and I paid $200 which is dealer cost. The legal limit in Georgia is 35% but I went with 20%. 35% is just too light!
    Have you tried looking on Ebay? Sometimes you can get a deal. I have the all weather mats in my IS250 and I love them! I paid $67 (employee cost) for them at the Lexus dealership I work at and they are worth every penny! Good luck and I highly recommend getting a set.... :shades:
  • nrossnross Member Posts: 13
    I bought mine from lorparts on ebay. They are Lexus of Roseville in California. They had the all weather mats before my local dealer in NJ had them. They are genuine Lexus mats and look much better and are of better quality than the after market ones you see on the net. I would highly recommend them as the service was excellent! The mats are so nice that I left them in for the summer. Good luck!
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    For voice recognition be sure to reduce interior noise - close windows/moonroof and eliminate conversation in the cabin. These items will prevent the system from understanding your commands.

Secondly, wait for the beep. From my experience I have seen people press the steering wheel switch and then talk. You must wait for the system to beep before stating your command.

Lastly, talk at a normal volume level. There is no need to yell at the microphone. The system works better when you speak at a normal conversational tone.
  • sancarlossancarlos Member Posts: 5
    I purchased the Sport pedals from a well known web site that sells Lexus accessories. The 3 pieces are the Foot rest, Brake pedal and the Gas pedal. I managed to install the Foot rest and the Brake pedal ,but not the Gas pedal.
    Anybody has any knowledge on how to install the Gas pedal? Any help is sincerely appreciated.
    Thanks to all.
    manny
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Lexus IS250/IS350 and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
  • tchoupstchoups Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the responses from everyone. Here is an update for anyone else looking for all-weather mats for their IS 250 RWD. Lexus currently does not make an all-weather mat to match the cashmere interior and I haven't found anyone who has an estimate on when they might.

So far I have found the best deal for a set of all-weather mats (Black) on www.lexus-parts.com. They are selling a set for $69.
  • alex4x4alex4x4 Member Posts: 19
    I drove a Lexus loaner vehicle that had the all weather mats in it a didn't particularly car for them. While they are designed to protect the carpet from excess snow melt that is brought into the vehicle from your shoes in the winter, they are IMO not very stylish. They are thick rubber with wide channels to catch and trap the snow which then melts and turns to water. It's an effective design and if you live in a location where winter snow is common occurence they are a must, but I would switch them out to the carpet mats at the first sign of spring and wait until the snow falls to put them back in.

If you don't have major winter snow issues where you live I think you would be happier with the original Lexus black carpet mats I mentioned above to solve the dirt problem you are having with the cashmere mats. If you are trying to decide between the two I would go to your local dealer and take a look at the all weather mats to make sure they are what you want...even if you are going to get them online.

I live in Colorado and have to deal with snow so I'll get the all weather mats for Dec-Apr. The black carpet mats look great the rest of the time, and my old cashmere mats are in a bag under the house and won't come out until I decide to sell the car.
    Please advise,

Thanks,
    I LOVE my all-weather mats. I live in Georgia and we never get snow but I sure am able to track dirt and leaves into my car with no problem. I also have a 4 year old....enough said (lol). My IS250 has black interior and the black all-weather mats look great! If my interior was cashmere (which I am assuming yours is) then I could see how the black all-weather mats might not look as good. I guess in the end it just comes down to personal preference. :shades: :shades:
  • rhino01rhino01 Member Posts: 8
    We just took my friends IS350 in for service. One of the items was a large gap between the driver side headlight and the bumper. We checked every IS250/350 they had on the lot and every last one exhibited this problem but only on the driver side. The gaps varied over a quarter inch in my estimation. The dealer stated that they would not fix it since they are all coming that way. I have a problem with this since Lexus brags about the fit and finish of their cars. I am sure we all remember the infamous ball bearing commercials.

I would suggest you look at your bumpers before taking delivery.