Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Real World MPG

firecaptfirecapt Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in INFINITI
Iam getting 18-19 in town and 24 plus on the road, When the car is closed up and air is on noise level is very minimal.I use mid-range gas and have a m35x.Iam Very Very happy with the car.I have had zero problems and the Nav is great.I would have liked the real time traffic but iam not going to trade to get it.
Stan

Comments

• sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    CR gives these figures for each car: "Overall mpg" and "MPG on 150 mile trip"

Audi A6 (V6): 21mpg and 25mpg

2006 GS300 sedan AWD V6: 20mpg and 23mpg

Infiniti M35x: 18mpg and 22mpg
    The computerized mpg read-out was 16.2 mpg.
    Caluclating actual mpg, from miles driven and gallons pumped to fill 'er up again, yielded 18mpg.
    Driving was about 40% highway stop-and-go, 40% highway at 50 to 70 mph, and 20% city.
  • indemandindemand Member Posts: 14
    On a trip the best I have done is a combined 20. In the city I get 14-16. Overall after 15K I have averaged a bit over 16. Had a lot of fun though!
  • purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    My last 500 mile highway trip I averaged 24 mpg with cruise set to 72 and tire pressure at 35 all around. In town, I get about 14, but I have a heavy foot ;)
    Combined highway and city = 17.3 mpg (using 89, not 91 gas)
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    My M now has ~8K miles. I do mostly local driving and have been fairly diligent about avoiding quick starts and keeping my top speed to 40 MPH or lower. Using regular fuel (87 octane) I have been averaging 20 MPG. It has been improving slowly over its life (picked it up in Aug '05). Initially I averaged about 16 MPG for the first 1K miles, but then I wasn't being diligent about limiting my speed - I preferred to vary it regularly to give the engine a decent "break-in".

On the few occasions that I have driven it on the highway for an extended period (> 1 hr), I have averaged 23 MPG at ~ 70 MPH. This was as of a few weeks ago. If I had the willpower to keep my speed in the 60-65 MPH range I believe it might even improve to 24 or more MPG. :D

This vehicle has been the most trouble-free of any that I have owned.
    Does it bother you at all to be having to watch how your drive so closely in order to cope with M's bad mpg? It's led me to have some buyer's remorse about not having gone with Audi A6 which seems to get closer to 20, w/o all the carefulness.
    Does it bother you at all to be having to watch how your drive so closely in order to cope with M's bad mpg? It's led me to have some buyer's remorse about not having gone with Audi A6 which seems to get closer to 20, w/o all the carefulness

I looked at the Audi A6 - it came in second on my list as well. I do not have any regrets or remorse in picking the M. I didn't like the MMI interface, its CD accessibility or its reliability record, but that doesn't mean there weren't things about the Audi that I miss (e.g., electronic emergency brake)...

As far as adapting my driving habits - yes, I had to think about it for a few weeks, especially since the M's throttle was a lot more responsive than on my previous car. Initially it was almost a personal challenge to see if I could voluntarily do it. After that, it more or less became a habit and I felt a sense of accomplishment that I could actually sustain it. That doesn't mean that I don't stomp the pedal every so often just to remember what its like! ;)
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    It's led me to have some buyer's remorse about not having gone with Audi A6 which seems to get closer to 20, w/o all the carefulness.

$400/yr difference in gas on a $40k+ car would cause buyer's remorse?

I drive an M45 Sport, have averaged a little over 17mpg through 10,000 miles, and wouldn't even dream of having an A6 for the $300 max it will cost me.
    Hmmm ... yes ... looks less relevant in $$ terms ... thanks.

Why so down on the A6?
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Why so down on the A6?

I really didn't mean to sound harsh regarding the A6. It's a wonderful car and one that would make anybody shopping in this segment, other than zealot BMW owners, very happy.

My only concern with the A6, which is a concern to me with all German makes right now, is reliability. I'm 2 for 2 with lousy BMW products and have been suffering through the worst automobile ordeal imaginable with a 2003 MB SL500. While Audi has made tremendous strides in improvement as it relates to reliability, mid to long term reliability still suffers when compared to Infiniti/Lexus.
    Reliability is not my only consideration when choosing cars but it has moved up the list with my recent experiences.

While I agree that Infiniti's entire lineup would be better served by cars that were more fuel-efficient I merely wanted to point out that the financial side of the equation is often overstated.

BTW, I hope someday we will all be so blessed to appreciate the driving dynamics that only BMW can provide.
    I was asking more about the part of your post in which, as others have suggested on the M35/M45 forum, you find yourself driving carefully to cope with low mpg of Infiniti. I find myself doing that, and I was asking if that gets annoying. It does, sometimes, for me, when I realize I'm doing that. Maybe you just mean you'd be driving any of the LPS cars that way and your post was not conveying the sense of your doing it is specific to this car.
    Yes, I that would outweigh mpg. Reading these posts and factoring in my own experience, the individual's history with German cars appears to make such a difference. As one person said on one of these forums, probably around vast majority of owners of all the LPS cars are happy with reliability (I owned a BMW 3-series for two years recently and never had it in the shop except for 15K service, so my perception of BMW is solid reliability) and it's a gamble with every car becaues none of them avoid "semi-lemons", but the Japanese have managed to lessen their "mistake-cars" enough to draw you, me, and others toward them. They usually also throw in better mpg and Nissan engines are an anomaly in that regard, don't you think? Although my automotive engineering expertise is not sufficient to fully explain it. It is only the gearing?
  • dmgoodmandmgoodman Member Posts: 17
    I am averaging 20.4 MPG (last three fill-ups)in a mix of 60% freeway and 40% suface streets (suburban) in my M35. Have about 2,000 miles on the car. Using Premium so far. "Reasonably aggressive" driving style.
  • altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    I don't understand all the traffic complaining about gas mileage. When you buy a luxury, semi-sports car, mileage should be the farthest thing from your mind. If you want gas mileage, buy a vehicle that lists that as a selling point.

I will be getting my 2007 M35x in late July and I won't be caring one bit about gas mileage... and we pay a lot more for gas in Canada than you do in USA (just finished spending almost 5 years of my life living in USA).
    It's a gas mileage forum.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I gotta hand it to you for being able to
    keep a lid on using the wonderful VQ series
    engines from Nissan/Infiniti for what they're
    really made for. I know it's hard for me.
    I have a 2002 Maxima SE and I love to punch
    it and I love the little growl-note of the
    exhaust. It's like turning away from that
    sweet tempting dessert! My lease will be
    ending soon, so I'm keeping the M35 in my
    radar, among some others.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    My M35x is a little over a month old, with 2000 miles. I am averaging about 18 MPG around town with about 25% highway driving, but on a recent road trip, including rush hour traffic, I got 25.1 mpg one way and 23.9 back (more stop and go on the return).

What I find interesting is this mileage is somewhat better than the G35X I had before. It was averaging 15-16 in town and never better than 22 on the highway. Considering that the M is heavier with the same power train I was surprised.

That said, I could see a 6 speed tranny with a much longer final drive. The RPM's should definitely be able to be under 2000 for 65-70 miles per hour, and the 6th gear would not compromise performance.

I must say I do love the car in any case...
    Computer said 18.5 mpg.

Calculating it myself at fill-up yielded 18.8

Combined (mostly non-commute time on this fill-up) highway and city.
    I gotta hand it to you for being able to keep a lid on using the wonderful VQ series engines from Nissan/Infiniti for what they're really made for

I didn't say it was easy, just that it became a personal challenge, since the easier thing to do is punch it whenever the urge hits!

Drove the M to the Poconos on Sun and at 65-70 MPH continuous driving, averaged 25.6 MPG according to the computer readout. Now, if I was willing to stay in the right lane, keep my speed at 60 and be passed all the time, I'm willing to bet I could get 27 MPG - but who cares! :)

I've already proved to myself that it could be done - now I'll fall back to my 17-18 mpg and just enjoy driving my M! After all, it's only costing me ~$25/month! :shades:

BTW, An informal measure that I like to use in assessing a vehicle's real world efficiency is that the car's fuel tank should enable it to go 400 miles on a tank of gas. Anything less and I find my self stopping too frequently for fill-ups. The M appears to fall just below this benchmark. That's about the only real complaint I have!
  • jdmassjdmass Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2-month old M35x and I continue to be disappointed by the gas mileage. I am getting typically 15-17 mpg in suburban driving, and on a recent trip from Mass to northern Vermont I averaged 20.5 mpg. Believe it or not, I am trying to drive with gas mileage in mind.

Prior to this car I had a BMW 540 which I drove much harder (without regard to mileage) and consistently 19-20 mgp in the same suburban driving.

There are many things I like about the car, but the fact that Nissan can't build an engine that both performs and gets reasonable mileage should be an embarassment to them.
    I have a 2-month old M35x and I continue to be disappointed by the gas mileage. I am getting typically 15-17 mpg in suburban driving, and on a recent trip from Mass to northern Vermont I averaged 20.5 mpg. Believe it or not, I am trying to drive with gas mileage in mind.

How many miles do you have on your M? My MPG efficiency has been consistently going up - I have a little over 8K miles on mine at this point. When I first picked the car up - local driving was ~16mpg. I am also keeping my tire pressures on the high side - 36 PSI when cold. Another thing I try to do whenever traffic permits is to use cruise control (non-adaptive).

Here's another data point. My spouse drives a '98 BMW 328I w auto trans w 68K miles. In combined local/highway driving (60%/40%)she has been averaging ~22 MPG with no attention to fuel efficient driving technique. When I drive it, I can usually improve that MPG number by ~4-5 mpg over a few tankfuls of fuel.
  • kgrinderkgrinder Member Posts: 2
    Drove from West Palm Beach last week about 2,500 miles to Orlando...Savannah
    ...DC...Philadelphia...DC...Savannah...home. Mileage per gallon was 20.9. I may have gotten more had I stayed on the interstates, but I wandered a bit. :shades:
    I don't understand all the traffic complaining about gas mileage. When you buy a luxury, semi-sports car, mileage should be the farthest thing from your mind. If you want gas mileage, buy a vehicle that lists that as a selling point.

I will be getting my 2007 M35x in late July and I won't be caring one bit about gas mileage... and we pay a lot more for gas in Canada than you do in USA (just finished spending almost 5 years of my life living in USA)

Although this is a gas mileage forum, for me the disappointment with the M35 series' mpg is not paying for the gas. It's that we can get cars with 350 HP at this gas mileage. In other words, I'd expect an engine/transmission in a $50K car that gives me well over 300 HP in return for 17 mpg. It's not a $$$ issue. It's a bothering-to-engineer the car up to contemporary engineering standards (e.g. what Audi is doing with their V6 and, in the fall, their V8, with FSI; or BMW did with its new engines) by giving a lot og HP per mpg -- not dropping a 1995 V6 (although a great one) into a 2006 car.
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Just completed a round trip yesterday from Raleigh, NC to Newport News, VA with 95% of the travel on the highway. Used several methods of driving (cruise, and pedal to the metal) with decent results. For anyone that has driven that route, here is as close as I can remember to what I did. I had the cruise set on 75 m.p.h. while on US-64, used the pedal to medal on I-95 and stayed in the 80 m.p.h. ball park (due to traffic), and I had the cruise set on about 65 m.p.h. on US-58 (a known speed trap especially in and around Emporia, VA and Suffolk, VA. I calculated that my m.p.g. was around 23.7 (17.5 gals to fill back up w/415 miles) and the computer calculated the mileage at 23.4 m.p.g. (calculated on average I believe). Not sure what you guys think, but I think that is good mileage using regular fuel, with the AC working, on a light load in a vehicle that now has 11,400 miles on it.

By the way, I didn't see any other M's on the highway. I did see several FX's and got plenty of gawkers at the rest stop!
    My last tank of the break-in period, I tried regular unleaded (87 octane) and got a little over 17 mpg in mixed city-hgihway driving.

Just filled up with 89 octane and immediately seemed to get a jump in mpg to the 22-23 highway and 19 overall range. I'll report in after this tank is used and then next time I'll experiment with 91.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you got through Emporia with your CC set on 65 and without getting a ticket you either should have played the lottery that day or your speedometer is (like many others) showing 5+ mph too high!! :)
    LOL! I hadn't been through there since around Thanksgiving of last year. But it appears they have changed the speed limit to 60MPH. That gave me the extra confidence to set it at 65. You sound like you know the area well . . . . . they wouldn't waste time pulling me over for a mere 5MPH over the speed limit, would they? :shades:
    YES, they WOULD!!!
    Yikes! Mental note made! Tread lightly on US58 in VA!
    Yeah, between Emporia and 85, but particularly in Emporia. Haven't ever been burned myself, but that's because I know too many people who have been. :sick:
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Overall, since I got the car, I've gotten just over 20mpg over 7.5K miles. This is mostly commute traffic (95% highway). Around here, highway runs 65-80mph. There's only one trip about 400 miles each way - essentially all on the interstate. The low was about 16 with a high about 24, most around 20. Right now, the computer is showing 20.4, and it is fairly close compared to the odometer and what it takes at the gas pump. I'd like a little more from it, but considering the relative power available from the RPM at cruise, I guess more is not forthcoming.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    I've driven close to 19K miles on my M35 and have average 18.90 MPG - actually calculated this myself. According to the trip computer I average 27 mph during my driving - I estimated 50% highway/50% around town.

My gas gauge isn't very accurate but I know I go between 300 and 350 miles between fill-ups.
  • arwilliarwilli Member Posts: 4
    I never cared about gas mileage before until the skyrocketing prices and the MPG on my M. The computer says 15 MPG for my 1,200 miles (50/50 city/highway). Cost me $64 to fill up the tank this week so I actually found myself driving my wife's Sentra to run some local errands.
    The M gets lousy around town mileage in stop and go or short trips. Yesterday, I filled up and then got right on the interstate...it read 22.8mpg when I pulled into the garage. There was a short wait at the entrance and exits. This was at around 70-75 mph.
    I've driven 2700 miles with a new M35. I once got close to 300 miles before computer and gas gauge said I needed to fill up. Each tank of gas is used for 75% highway/25% city driving, and maybe 1/4 of that highway driving has been stop and go. MPG has hit right at 18.1 once. All other fill-ups have been between 17 and 18 mpg. If I don't very consciously light-foot it, the mpg will drop close to 17.

Among the worst figures for a 275 HP V-6.
    I've averaged just under 20mpg with an M35x over about 8K miles at about the same percentage of highway/city mileage. You can go fast, but smooth makes a huge difference in minimizing the fuel. No sense in running up behind someone and then having to use the brakes - drive ahead as far as you can, and do it smoothly, and you'll be surprised how much difference it makes. I've hit 400 miles on a tank on a trip with a couple of gallons left when I filled up. From my experience, it comes out about a wash in mileage/cost to use premium vs regular...I get better mileage with premium.
    Two different reactions: (1) thanks for the tips and the upbeat attitude. (2) I'm at a support group for parents of handicapped engines.

Every single auto mag article comes in at 17 in mixed use. High percentage of people on this site say the same. Or read Edmunds consumer-reviews pros-and-cons for this car -- major "con" is poor mpg. It's not an illusion.

I don't want driving my car to be an olympic consciousness raising event in order to approach 20 mpg with a V-6 engine in mostly straight 60-65 mph driving.

Nonetheless, I have been so bothered by the mileage that (in addition to using premium) I don't rush around like an adolescent with his first car or even a person enthusiastic about driving. Smooth has become a religion. The car ain't converting, however.
  • acerfanacerfan Member Posts: 11
    I am currently looking to buy/lease one of these. I have two questions; don't cars give better mileage after being driven a few thousand miles (my Accord did after about 10,000 miles), and, does anyone have the numbers for the M45? Thanks.
    From: http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38536/Act/Showa- - - ll/

"Test M35 averaged 16.4 mpg in city/highway driving, test M35x averaged 17.4 with more highway use. Test M45s averaged 16.0 in city/highway driving, 18.8-19.1 mpg in mostly highway use."

Since I buy my cars new, I am comparing my first 3K miles with my M35 to similar experiences with other cars. I do expect the mpg to improve over time ... but ... I think much evidence has accumulated (in CR's evaluation, in reports from consumers on Edmunds, on this board, in many reviews, etc) to strongly suggest that V-6 engine/transmission gets poor mileage for a V-6. It has been widely recognized that the 5 gears and the gearing setup (designed to make this 275 HP engine, with torque of 270 @ 4800 rpm) accelerate faster than competition in auto reviews) produce unusually poor mpg. The car is so loveable in other ways and MSRP'd so much lower than competition that, I believe, people who are smitten by it have a tendency to simply not believe that it has any negative characteristics.
  • antsinpantsantsinpants Member Posts: 4
    FYI - the manual states minimum 87 octane gas is required for the M35, not premium gas. Premium is suggested for increased performance on M35. I never noticed a difference, so I save my money and pump regular unleaded. Maybe the only way to notice a difference in engine performance is to drive it harder, and with a lead foot, but that would defeat the whole purpose of getting better mileage, right? Save your money and pump regular. My 2 cents.
    I think the M45 requires premium.
    You're right, the M35 allows use of regular, but they state that for full performance to use premium. I DO notice a difference. I also notice that I get better mileage with the premium, so the difference in actual cost per mile is about a wash.

The M45 REQUIRES premium. They also state that if you MUST put in regular because premium is not available, to not fill the tank, only put in enough to get safely to where you can get premium, then fill it up so you boost the octane as much as you can. They also say to not drive aggressivly while you have the regular in there.
    "FYI - the manual states minimum 87 octane gas is required for the M35, not premium gas. Premium is suggested for increased performance on M35."

Yes, I've been aware of that from before I bought the car. It was one factor predisposing me to choose the M35. However, like, James, I found that my mpg went down to 16 on regular, even though I've been so preoccupied with the mpg of this car that I have driven it with an obsessionally light foot, so much so that it begins to take the pleasure, for me, out of driving it. I have enjoyed, with other cars, driving a tank-full with total focus on higher-mpg driving, but I don't like being preoccupied with "Will this car ever get 20 mpg?" For example, over the weekend we drove early Saturday morning on a traffic-free route, all highway, for an overnight event, and back early Sunday in similar conditions. Steady 65 mph -- yet only got 19 mpg, for total 65 mph cruising, no city at all.
    What's your tire pressure? The alarms don't go off unless it gets fairly low. 36 all around isn't a bad number. At steady speeds it really does approach the epa ratings as long as you keep it under 80. On a long trip, the cruise control helps, too.
    "What's your tire pressure?"

I keep a tire inflator in the trunk. I monitor the tire pressure every day on screen. I keep the cold pressure between 34 and 36. Do you think I should keep the cold tire pressure higher?
    That should be okay...are you at high altitude? That can make a difference in your performance and mileage. I guess I may be the exception...I usually get better mileage than average.
    I think you might be an exception.

Here's a recent post from another Edmunds forum on real world sedan mileage ...

"I am looking for any suggestions--I have a two year old G35x and have finally had it with the horrible milage I am getting. I do primarily suburban short hops of one to three miles with a small amount of highway driving when I can. I do not drive aggressively. I am getting around 13-15 MPG."

I find a consistent pattern of talk/complaint about Infiniti V6 mpg across the internet. For example, quickly check the consumer ratings link at the top of this forum page.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Charlie .... You're car's powered w/ the same V6 as my M35, and my driving habits are very much like yours. I've NEVER gotten less than 16.4 mpg and that's with the summer blend here in AZ. If you're in San Fran and dealing with those hills your mileage comes as no real surprise. If you're driving on flatland, then something's amiss IMO. Bart
    Bart,

That's likely ... the hills, I mean. You understand, I wasn't saying I've ever gotten below 16 mpg. That quote was from another post. But, you sound OK with a V-6 using 16-17 mpg than I am. It's subjective, individual variance at that point. I'd not complain about a V8 using 17 mpg, even in combined city/highway, but I'm sure the next generation V6 from Nissan will address this.

Anyway, the mpg issue is probably getting some negative emotional overflow from my not liking the M35 as much as I thought I would -- aesthetically, mostly, but some of its driving characteristics as well ... not anything that would lead me to tell someone who likes the car "Don't; you'll regret it" but that has led me to explore pathways (I think I've found one I can live with) out of my lease and into another car, I hope, soon. I don't like feeling this way about my car, especially when, objectively, it's a good car.
  • seihughseihugh Member Posts: 10
This discussion has been closed.