Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Wheels and Tires

Comments

• 1g2b1g2b Member Posts: 3
    Pippa22, here's a link to my same post and follow up on another Fit site. If your 08 is still under warranty I'd press the dealer, especially if serviced by them also.
    link title Good luck!
  • maui4maui4 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently shopping for tires after owning my car for a year and a half. Gee, I must be getting old, but I remember when tires had a 40,000 mile warranty. My car is about half that mileage.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do 195-50-15 and 195-50-16 tires really work with this vehicle?

I can only find two tires the suggested 185/55R16 size in the world. Is this legal to make people search for tires like this? It seems that it is a monopoly type of situation.

Any help would be welcome. I do not plan on changing tires out once a year, that is simply ridiculous.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ...except with tires it's rotation, rotation, rotation... and don't forget proper pressure.

I feel your pain on the tire size. It's even more fun if it's REALLY not a common size, because then they don't make a lot of them and the costs start to climb too beyond having a lack of choice
  • 1g2b1g2b Member Posts: 3
    I just noticed Bridgestone has new Potenza G019 all season sport tires in 185/55/16. They have a higher wear rating than either of the stock tires, and I believe come with a 40K warrantee. Check your alignment. My rear was out and wearing tires twice as fast as the front. You may have a similar issue.
  • maui4maui4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the Bridgestone but I was told that the warranty is 50,000.

As a side note I called Honda and filed a complaint. They in turn gave me Dunlap's telephone number. Let me tell you Dunlap is zero in the customer service department. The woman at Dunlap told me I could only go to one of their service centers to have the treadware looked at. Then I would have to buy Dunlap tires if they say the wear is bad. My response was that I had only 25k on these which came with the car and I would NEVER buy a vehicle with Dunlap tires on it again.

I guess I will chalk it down as an experience to not have again. Live and learn!
  • thalv3thalv3 Member Posts: 2
    We bought my daughter a 2009 Fit Sport in February of this year. She has the Bridgestone tires on it. She's driven it for 6K miles now and has had 2 tires blow out with 2 weeks. In the first instance, she was driving, the tire light came on, and the rear tire blew out within seconds (2 weeks after she went to the dealer for her first oil change and tire rotation). There was no apparent problems with the tire. Honda charged me $150 for a new tire, completely inspected the other tires, assured me it was safe, and said they'd report the problem to Bridgestone, who would call me. I've never heard from Bridgestone. Now, two weeks later almost to the day, she had another one of the original tires blow out. This time, there was no warning light and she was lucky to keep control of the vehicle.

Anyone else having similar problems?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    In all likelihood, the first "blowout" was a puncture that was run on until the tire was destroyed.

The second one might be the same thing - or it might be something different. But in either case, the vast majority of these are just simple "hazards of the roads" aggravated by inexperienced drivers.

So the first step would be to make sure your daughter knows how to check the tire pressure and that she does it regularly - monthly!
  • fit2betiedfit2betied Member Posts: 1
    I have had more flat tires with my 2009 Honda Fit Sport than I did in my previous vehicle during the 10 years I owned it. I HATE these tires. I will never get them again. I'm just looking for a different alternative - a tire that is more readily available in case a replacement is needed, and something a little sturdier and beefier, but that won't mess up the speedometer or rub.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    edited June 2010
    My 2007 Honda Fit Sport went 60k miles on its original stock tires when I replaced it with the Dunlop Signature Touring tire because it had a 60k mile threadlife warranty. The new tires has now run 48k miles with lots of thread left. 108k miles of problem free driving! Yay Fit! I have no complaints. I actually stopped a few inches from hitting a minivan last winter. Icy hill. Whew. I didn't notice any mpg changes as well - an important factor for me when changing tires.
  • thalv3thalv3 Member Posts: 2
    If you are having any problems with Fit tires and safety, will you please report them to the NHTSA? In our case, Honda is refusing to admit there are any problems with these tires because they have no formal complaints filed, but as I cruise through various websites, I see constant complaints about blow outs, bubbles in tires, and sudden loss of pressure without visible damage. While this is an economy vehicle, they should be safe to drive under normal, real life conditions. Honda won't know there is possibly a problem unless it is reported through an impartial government agency.
  • allenhuffmanallenhuffman Member Posts: 3
    With less than 3000 miles on a new Honda Fit sport model, we have already had one blowout, and now a bubble has appeared on the driver's side front tire. The dealer, over the phone, says they see 7-8 of them a day and they are caused by potholes. Odd that none of the other cars we have had for years in Omaha have had this issue. These tires must be much more fragile -- not quite comforting, eh? :)

Calling Honda customer service resulted in them suggested us calling Bridgestone direct, which I did. They put us in contact with a local factory store so we could take the tire in and have them inspect to see if it's road hazard damage or a defect, so we will see what happens.

Between the front windshield crack and now two tires needing replaced in the first few months of having this car, it sure is turning out to be expensive luck :-(
  • r2wjaxr2wjax Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I too... have a "bubble" in my brand new, under 3000 mile Hondo Fit Sport, right
    front, 185/55/R16 Bridgestone tire!

I'm really upset at Coggin Honda of St. Augustine and Coggin on Atlantic in Jacksonville because they are essentially turning their back on the problem.
    It's come down to it's my problem and Bridgestones... They did mention, after
    I "complained" they were not being responsive and therefore I am now extremely dissatisfied with their level of "customer service"... that I needed to register my
    car under "Nitro"... at a website listed ...it's suppose to be in one of the books I got with the car but I can't find it yet... nor can I find anything on the web...and they
    "may" be able to reimburse me up to $150 (replacement tires at TiresPlus are $116)
    but apparently I'm stuck with the same brand.

Any one heard of that?

It's really disconcerting at this piont... Honda's "attitude" that is. And if Bridgestone and Firestone are somehow connected... it's "Déjà vu all over again"
    becuase I remember a very similar situation in the 70's with the "Firestone 500" line
    of tires and total lack of concern until forced to respond about a "manufacturing defect" in the tires... only then did they offer to replace them at cost minus tire wear (usage) for same or similar tires... I did'nt take them up on it then and will "never" buy another Firestone tire...
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Hello all

My 2010 Fit Sport came with Dunlop tires... Have they always used 2-3 different tire brands for the same model or do you think Honda started using Dunlop after the bridgestone debacle ?
  • sarbear565sarbear565 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport. I've owned the car 1.5 years and have had two tire blowouts and a cracked windshield. I have the Bridgetones, and both times it was incredibly difficult to locate the tires, and also very expensive to replace them. One cost $230 by itself, and both times I used different auto shops. The dealer, (which I do not use for service or reapairs,) told me when I bought the car that I had to have "special" tires. I was so desperate both times to replace the tires, as I live and work between only major highways, that I paid the ridiculous price. The tow truck operator told me to find out if there was a different, less expensive, yet safe tire that could be put on the Honda Fit. Right now the model number I have is: 185/55R16. As you can tell I know little about cars, and I literally feel like I am being"taken for a ride" here. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    My 2010 Fit Sport uses Dunlop 185/55 R16 tires. Upon searching mavistire.com - these all season high performance tires were listed for $ 82.00 each. Hope this helps !
  • r2wjaxr2wjax Member Posts: 2
    I found TiresPlus has Bridgestone for $166 each, and there is a new Bridgestone coming out... the "Potenza" for $106 each, and they are "rated" at 50,000 miles.
    I got the "Road Hazard Warranty" with this one... and it was 10% of the price or about $11 per tire. Don't see another brand on the horizon. Also, I asked them if they would check and see if there were any customer complaints about these tires... which they replied no. And I asked if there was any indication what caused the bubble in my tire, with less than 3000 miles on it... same answer... I'm complaining!!! But who's listening???
  • sparkster1sparkster1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Fit Sport. Put 52,000 miles on original tires, but only got 20,000 on second set. The rear, especially left, was wearing on inside unevenly. The tires were rotated 3X during that time, mostly highway driving. Tire shop suggested it might be mechanical. Took it to Honda for alignment and inspection, and they told me rear left wouldn't come within normal range on alignment. Said it was because the rear beam was bent and needed to be replaced. That was hard to believe since I've never had an accident or hit anything. Took it to 2 other mechanics. We looked it over and couldn't find any bend or other problem. I don't know why Honda would say this except that may be the only way they think will fix the problem. Their fix would cost me $1,200. Seems excessive, especially after talking with another mechanic who encountered the same problem recently and the new beam and spindle did not fix the alignment problem.
    I put 195/55R-15's on this time. These are mfg. recommended. Last time I put on 205/50R-15. Don't know if this will make any difference. I'm going to rotate every oil change, balance every other oil change, and frequently check tire pressure as recommended by mechanic. We'll see if these things make any difference but still doesn't explain why car won't align properly on left rear.
    Might not have been one big impact, but a series of repeated small impacts that did the bending. Any time I show a bit of unusual tire wear faster than I expect it (no such thing as a "perfect" alignment) I go to 5,000 mile rotations instead of 6,000 miles. Then I start keeping a really close eye on the wear and looking for mechanical issues
  • keg5keg5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - can someone please help me? I see lots of discussions around tire sizes etc. and maybe there isn't a good answer. The 2009 comes with 185/55/16 Dunlop Sport 7000 tires which after 28,000 miles are down to the wear bars. I desperately need new tires and want to get all season with decent mileage rating. Problem is I'm very limited in choices if I stay with the 185/55/16. I see where people have gone to 205/50/16 but I need to know
    1) how is snow handling( I live in upstate NY),
    2) snow builds up in the wheel wells now with the 185s - there isn't much clearance so will the 205 size make this worse
    3) Do I really need to worry about the speedometer and fuel mileage getting off that much?
    4) what tires have 2009 Fit sport owners used and are happy with.

My local dealer has said I can go to the 205 size but other than that they haven't been much help. Tires they suggested were Nokian eNTYRRE and Toyo Extenza - when I asked them about mileage they said there were worse than what I haev. So, that wasn't much help.

A local tire store suggested the following in the 205/50/16 range
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
    Nexen CP641
    Dunlop Signature
    Dunlop Fierce Instinct

I'm almost ready to call Honda to see if I can get anyone there to help me. Heavy rain today and I had to drive real slow due to hydroplaning. : (

Thanks
    keg5
  • soozndsooznd Member Posts: 4
    Living in upstate NY sounds like you would need snow tires--you can get Bridgestone Blizzaks in the original 185/55/16 size. they are rated very well. Not sure what would be best for all season replacements though,
  • imfriartuckimfriartuck Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Like everyone else I am having a delimma on replacing my tires. I have checked on a Michelin that is 205/50/16 that is a high mileage and performance tire. Will it be too wide for turning radius or does anyone have any advice on this matter.
  • kos3kos3 Member Posts: 1
    I have not gotten good service from a couple of different places recently, so I try to pose this question(s) here.

I recently replaced the original tires on my 2008 base Fit due to wear after just 40,000 miles and a little less than three years, which was disappointing. The inside edges of all four tires were essentially bald already, so when replacing the tires I had a four-wheel alignment done.

For the only wheel that was out of spec after the alignment, the toe of the right rear, I was told that the manufacturer does not specifiy rear camber and toe adjustments, that no adjustments could be made on that wheel, and that the misalignment was likely due to another mechanical problem. True or not true regarding each of these comments?

Ironically, the tire at that position has a cracked wheel cover and, while not large, a visible dent in the tire rim right where the crack is, so I obviously hit something with that tire along the way. I had the tire/rim checked before the new tires were purchased, was told the tire (the old tire) spun fine and not to worry about it because the dent was rather minor, and I have not noticed any unusual sounds or feelings even at highway speeds since the at least one year since I first noticed that damage.

Still, the odds of my one slightly damaged rim being put back on the one wheel where the alignment specs remained off in the end strike me as possibly being more than coincidence. Can a bent/dented tire rim cause wheel alignment readings to be out of spec (in this particular case the toe of a rear wheel)? Thank you in advance for any comments. I appreciate it.
    "..........The inside edges of all four tires were essentially bald already, so when replacing the tires I had a four-wheel alignment done.

For the only wheel that was out of spec after the alignment, the toe of the right rear, I was told that the manufacturer does not specifiy rear camber and toe adjustments, that no adjustments could be made on that wheel, and that the misalignment was likely due to another mechanical problem. True or not true regarding each of these comments? ....."

Not true. There is an alignment problem and the wear on the tires proves it.

Just because the factory doesn't provide adjustment doesn't mean you should or can't make an adjustment. It might require an eccentric bolt or an additional plate, but every alignment setting can be adjusted.

Further, the alignment specs themselves may be at fault. many vehicle have large amounts of built in camber - and that will cause the inside edges to wear faster - which is likely what is going on here.

This is done to improve the handling, but uneven tire wear is likely to occur.
  • clark52clark52 Member Posts: 1
  • salmonlovsalmonlov Member Posts: 1
    Okay, this morning my Honda Fit Sports 2009 passanger side both tires blow-out when I ran over a pot hole on a heavy rain. I was ready exit freeway. I called Honda Dealer. He said I need to get the new set tires.

However, I read Duhlop sp sport 7000 185/55R 16 am't as good as Bridgestone. However, Bridgestone are quite expensive $117 per tire.

some of people stated 205/50R 16 will fit just right. Perhaps if I get Falken FK 452 205/50R16 87W BSW (it is $87 per tire plus rebate $50 for 4 set) would that fit right with my Honda Fit? Please reply if you have any input out that particular tires. I am planned to buy all 4. Thanks!
  • cotton5cotton5 Member Posts: 1
    2009 Honda Fit Sport- tricked to a degree.
    I've got good miles out of my tires & could hit 50K on them. I have no issues with uneven wear on rear. I'm at 45K now & nearing the tread depth bar. Not many choices out there, so will go with the same @ $115/tire.
    Has anyone used the 205/50/16 combo without it rubbing? What about using 5mm or 10mm spacers or is that too much stress for the axle?
    BTW: 75MPH=32MPG, 70MPH=34MPG, 62MPH=43MPG, 50-55MPH=55MPG.
    I hope you love your Fit as much as I love mine.
  • davet62davet62 Member Posts: 3
    A 205/60 Rr16 should be fine on the car. What type of Michelin is it though?? If it's a Pilot Sport it isn't going to do much in the snow. I worked in the tire business for 28 years. If you need help choosing a tire I would be more than happy to see what is available in this size and give you a recommendation.
    I would not use spacers!!! They are not safe and more than likely cause vibration problems on a Honda.
    You say it was the L/R on your Fit?? I noticed the angle on the back wheels/tires when we bought our Fit. I have a bad back and couldn't get down and look under the car. I asked the salesman about it. I know vehicles wioth independent rear suspension will sit like that but correct when the car is driven. I was told this was the case with this car. It's not!! The car has a straight axle with no adjustment. We put 17 inch wheels and tires on the car. The rear tires are lasting about 8,000 miles. I have seen this problem on other forums. Talking to the dealership he agrees that the alignment readings should be almost identical on both rears. The R/R is -2.12 and the L/R is -1.29. This isn't acceptable. We put a new rear axle in the car (which I'm sure is the 1200.00 repair you mentioned) It was exactly the same after the new axle was replaced. This is an obvious manufacturer defect. I have been in contact with Honda USA. If they don't resolve the problem I may try to find a lawyer to open a class action suit.
  • xtcfanxtcfan Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Hi:

I have a 2008 Honda Fit Sport with about 27k miles, and recently replaced the tires. I bought Goodyear Eagle GT (195/55R15) from Merchant's Tire, and had them installed there.

Before the tire change, I used to get in the high 20's mpg around town; now I'm getting between 20-25 mpg. The tires have proper pressure (in fact, I usually fill them about 40 psi to reduce rolling resistance and increase mpg). Nothing else has changed on the car that would have affected mileage.

Is it possible these tires were installed wrong, and my mileage is thus being reduced? Any other ideas out there?

Thanks in advance for your help....
    -Todd
    First, worn tires give better fuel economy than new tires - all other things being equal. That means that merely rep[lacing your tires - even with the same make and model - is going to cause some loss in F/E.

But OE tires - tires that come on new cars - are designed to the car manufacturer's specs - and among those specs is one for rolling resistance. Typically, these specs call for a fairly low level of RR (sometimes extremely low!) and in order to achieve that, tire wear and/or traction (especially wet traction) is sacrificed! That's why there are so many complaints about the wear or traction on the tires that come OE.

But tires designed specifically for the replacement market do not have those sorts of requirements, and are not typically designed with RR in mind.

Further, if you chose to buy a tire with GREAT treadwear or GREAT traction, then that means the RR is further sacrificed.

In the final analysis, you took 3 hits in the fuel economy department, but you got a set of tires that will last longer.

And don't forget that winter weather also negatively affects fuel economy. Not only is the gas reformulated for the cold weather, but also the car takes more energy to heat up - AND - drivng through snow takes more energy. All those things cause more fuel consumption.
  • xtcfanxtcfan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, capriracer! All that makes sense ... I guess I'm just surprised that it translates to a difference of 5 mpg around town. Haven't done a highway trip on them yet ... I guess I'll see how much of an effect they'll have on that (I usually get 35-40 mpg on long trips at constant speed).
  • judymalonejudymalone Member Posts: 7
    I am a grandma and bought 2009 Honda Fit with idea of good milage and plenty cargo space plus being able to get in and out of small places.
    I have a 7 year old granddaughter and we like to take trips.. HOWEVER, after my experiences with the Honda Fit tires, I don't even feel safe to start on a trip of any lenght. I drive safe, but found out with the slightest little pothole or bump against curb, you will immediately see the Low tire gague on and that means to get to some car place immediately. Not easy if you are out in middle of country or on some long stretch of highway between cities. I am having to order a tire now..while my car sits in garage. Cost of the tire being shipped to town I live in plus the shop putting tire on will cost 170.00 Who can afford that? This is my second TIRE that has gone bad and I don't even have 20K on my car yet. IF I had known (but who knew to research tires on a car??) abt the car problem..which I think Honda should make many amends for...I would have NEVER bought the Honda Fit. I've owned 2 Honda Accords and they were great.. Thought a sporty little Fit would be good, but my mistake. Also, the car is too light weight and I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride much of the time and way the car windshield/over to side windows are not good for viewing traffic when you pull out on highway. I will soon be purchasing a new car and you can bet it won't be a Honda. My new tire coming in is a Bridgestone and I am hoping that at 170.00...it will be a much better tire than the Dunlops the Honda dealer keeps telling me I really NEED. :(:(
  • eli8eli8 Member Posts: 14
    i have a 2007 Honda Fit and i had my tires rotated...regularly...now have cupping on 2 Dunlops that came with car they are at 26,000 miles and it is beginning on 2 new tires with 9,000 miles...car is always maintained, tires are balanced, alignment is fine...never in my life have i ever had a problem with tires...except once Goodyear invictas...i have heard that other Honda Fit people are having tire problems...any ideas...car is fine no potholes...no shock problems or alignment problems..or problems with under inflation...
    eli
    An update since my previous posting. I went ahead and had all the Dunlop tires replaced on my 2009 Honda Fit. The Bridgestone "touring" tires had average total price of 170.00 each--by this, I mean the tires ran abt 140.00 & then the Shipping and Handling fee plus taxes) This is TWO TIRES from local Tire Company and the Two others from Honda Dealer. I am NOT blaming the local HONDA Dealership that I go to--as they have been nice and they do good work on cars. It is the HONDA COMPANY itself that I am making my complaints abt...about them having this particular 185/55 R 16 tire to go on the Fits. While they can be found...it's sure not handy and even the Honda Dealer had to order them. So, far I have been pleased with the Bridgestone and am getting as good or better gas mileage than I did with Dunlops. I can average 140 to 144 mpg....but that is driving around 55 mph on highway.. Which means every car passes me! Regular gas mileage with both town and highway runs around 38 mpg. And yes, I keep my car maintained at the Honda Dealer and have the Car Care Service plan where I take car in every 5,000 miles. I will add that it was cheaper overall for me to buy tires at local TIRE Dealer as they don't charge for putting the tires on. This is just a grandma's way of saying...You can find the tires at a decent price, but it is the added S&H and fees/taxes/mounting/balancing that drive price up to the 170.00 range.
    The Honda Dealership charges 11.00 per tire to mount/balance. I am keeping my fingers crossed this will solve my problem.
    judy
  • eli8eli8 Member Posts: 14
    tks for sharing that...i also have a post on here about my 2007 honda fit sport and the dunlop tires that are all cupping...i really wonder if there was a problem in actually building the Fit 2007-2009...there are so many complaints about the tires..blow-outs, etc...most of which were Bridgestone and Dunlop...stock tires...your Fit seems to be ok...but so many others arent and people keep changing the tires and still have problems...i think people with all year Fits should complain to the National Safety Board...there could be something in the making of the Hondas that is repeated every year even thou the style changes...that is not right..
    jmo
  • xcentrickxcentrick Member Posts: 16
    " I can average 140 to 144 mpg....but that is driving around 55 mph on highway"

WOW! That's great mileage, Judy!
    Summary:
    HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 HONDA FIT VEHICLES. THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR ONE OR MORE OF THE FOUR SPRING ASSEMBLIES ON THE ENGINE'S VARIABLE VALVE TIMING AND LIFT ELECTRONIC CONTROL "VTEC" SYSTEM TO FAIL.
    Consequence:
    A FAILURE OF THE SPRING ASSEMBLIES MAY CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO STALL DURING OPERATION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE SPRING ASSEMBLIES IN THE ENGINE IF NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MARCH 7, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
  • honchogeekhonchogeek Member Posts: 7
    I believe Honda should issue a recall for the rims and tires on the Fit Sport, They are virtually unobtainable (usually have to be specially ordered - impossible to find when away from home), very expensive ($175/ tire w mount and balance) and very poor quality (3 blowouts in 10,000 miles). I consider this a serious design flaw,affecting the vehicle's safety.

Has anyone gotten any satisfaction from Honda on this subject?n The tires on this car turn an otherwise decent vehicle into a road hazard in my opinion.
    Boy, do you have a lot of company - I find myself wondering if Honda gets a kickback from Bridgestone and Dunlop. These tires are terrible quality (I have 3 blowouts in 10K miles) and very expensive. I'm pissed!!
    I have a 2009 fit sport - I have had 3 blowouts in 10,000 miles with the tires that came on the cart (Dunlop) - they cost $175 per tire to replace, and the tire dealer told me the replacements (Dunlop and Bridgestone) both have terrible tread wear ratings. I would like to force a recall on these rims and tires.!
    I have had a bubble on a Dunlop tire for my fit. The tires that come with the Fit sport are horrible quality. They blow out, wear out in no time flat, and are terribly expensive and hard to get. I am trying to figure out how to get Honda to recall the tires and rims.
    I have had the same problem - the Honda dealer told me there was no road hazard warranty on the Dunlop tires. Not surprised - the tires stink and blow out all the time. They'd go broke if there was a warranty.
    The Fit sport can use the same 15" wheels as the base model. They are somewhat easier to get replacement tires for, and some are even reasonably priced (Yokohama). The tires that come with the Sport suck, and are expensive and rare!
  • jogibajogiba Member Posts: 27
    "I can average 140 to 144 mpg....but that is driving around 55 mph on highway.. "

Is that a typo ? I bet a Honda Cub scooter can't get 140-144mpg @55mph on the highway. My 2010 Honda Fit might get that coasting down a hill but not at a steady 55mph on level ground.
    just a note. Yep, I WISH I could get 140 mpg, but it should read 40-44 mpg. I should re-read my messages before posting! At the top best...I can get 44 mpg, but that is really on straight hwy, no unusual stops/starts and driving closer to 50mph. And with just me driving, no passengers or any heavy weights in back. With regular driving and running closer to 65mph, I would say overall average is closer to 37/38mpg. And there have been times when things don't seem to add up... Had my 235 (approximate weight) Texas National Guard son visit here and I drove him around...even running AC pretty high..and got some of the best miles ever. I was driving slow to let him take in the scenery, but still expected the milage to read 34 or 35 maybe....but it was right there at 40mpg. This was in hot summer, and guess tires were inflated more than usual...but still don't see how that would have made a difference. I really am clueless abt the HOWS and WHYS I get better milage-- sometimes--- than others.
    Nothing like a little SPAM with your morning eggs!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    After a year of thinking about it I got a new Fit Base. I planned on purchasing alloys & different tires from the start. Nothing fancy nor expensive, but just wanted lighter wheels & read so many rotten reviews of the OEM Dunlop A31 A/S tires. I am used to Hondas - have had 8 Civics from 85 to 97 (most were 92s - 97). So I understand they don't win award for their smooth, quiet ride. I have almost always upgraded the OEM tires & been happy for it (the one exception was some very stiff BFG Radial T/As which I took back).

I just got back from Discount Tires with my new shoes. I got MB Seven X 15 x 6 wheels w +55 offset. They weigh 1.2 lbs less than stock. I got 195/60 x15 Hankook 727 T rated tires (OEMs were 174/65 x15 R rated). The Hankooks are the highest rated Standard Touring Tires on both Tire Rack & Consumer Reports. I expected better smoother ride, less noise & better handling with some minor mpg loss (1-2 mpg?).

Before I was out of the parking lot I realized the new set up was noiser & stiffer. I can definitely feel the irregularities more on what are pretty smooth blacktop roads - overall there is just a lot more road feel. On the highway up to 70 mph there is no suggestion of a balancing problem, Not what I expected & not real happy about it.

I immediately check the tire pressure - right on at 33. The noise is basically a soft but noticable whiring sound, perhaps due to the fact there is about a 1/2" more rubber on the road than before. Also I realize that the sidewalls of a T rated tire are going to be a bit stiffer than an R rated tire.

So, where did I go wrong with this set up? I am half tempted to go get the Dunlops put back on!!! Any suggestions from the experts here short of spending 50% more for rims & tires? Might a going with the same tire in 185/60 size make much difference? HELP!
    edited May 2011
    It's not so much that you went wrong, but the lower aspect ratio (60 vs 65) will move you towards a rougher ride. Add in the stiffer sidewalls from the speed rating and I'm sure that's your answer.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Based on your response, which I suspect is correct, I assume going down to the same tire in 185/60 size would probably make little noticable differnce in the ride quality & road noise. Correct?

Sounds like I am unlikely to find the elusive goal of bettering the ride, reducing the noise & improving the handling that came with the OEM tire all in one replacement tire. Any other thoughts or suggestions?