Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    Last year when the new Civic came out, we went to take a look at them. Especially when I saw the EPA numbers on the gas mileage.

Some nice features, but too cramped for us, especially me at 6'1" and 285 lbs. The positioning of the handbrake cut into the side of my leg at the knee. When I got into the back seat, I actually started to hyperventalate because of my claustaphobia. No joke.

I'm not trying to be nasty in my attitude here. Just giving my personal experience & critique. I guess if I was smaller, it would be a different story.

For my situation... Because of the interior space issues that I have with the Civic, given a choice between a Civic vs the Sonata (for the same money), I'd personally go with the Sonata.
  • sotonysotony Member Posts: 4
    I hate to single one person out, because this entire thread is comparing apples to oranges. The Civic is a compact car whereas the Sonata is full size, so of course you are going have less room in a Civic.

That said...if you compare a civic to the elantra, its true Hyundai counterpart, you would find the civic on top with regards to interior space. I sat in an elantra GT and didn't even want to test drive it. I'm 6'1" as well.
  • jlemoinejlemoine Member Posts: 25
    Wow!! While I agree the Civic should be compared to the Elantra there is just no way the 2006 Civic has more passenger room than the Elantra, not even close. Read the specs for both cars. I own a 2002 Elantra and I'm 6'1", in the last 2 weeks while trying to decide the purchase of an additional car I test drove the Civic EX and the 2006 Elantra GLS and as in my 2002 the Elantra is just plain roomier, more leg room , more head room especially in the back. Bottom line is their both good cars and the main difference isn't quality but price, I just hope Hyundia continues to be a little less popular I love the fact I don't have to pay the 4-6 thousand dollar premium because it's a Honda. My advise to anyone in the market for a new car of this size, tryem both and I'm bet your decision will come down to personal taste because the quality in reality is the same for both cars. Hey it's your money!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we own both a civic and a elantra. we have had more problems(minor) with the civic that has less mileage. we probably will get rid of the civic before the elantra which IMO is a better car but to each their own. Our first hyundai was a 1988 excel GLS that had over 200,000 miles on it with no major problems but got totaled when someone drove thru a red light. My parents had a honda accord that spent more time at the dealer but I would not tell anyone not to buy a honda.I am sure you will find problems with every make of car.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Sure the comparison is apples to oranges in most regards except one...price. The price of the Civic has become within the range of a nicely equipped Sonata. The Sonata has all the "more" features not available at any cost in the Civic plus the room, the ride, the warranty, and yes, less fuel economy.
    Further, if you do compare it to the Elantra you will find the Elantra also has more standard features and I believe a larger interior. Yes the specs. directly from each manufacturer are as follows:
    2006 Civic EX sedan:
    headroom F/R = 39.4 inches/ 37.4 inches
    legroom F/R = 42.2/34.6 inches
    shoulder F/R = 53.7/52.4 inches
    hip F/R =51.9/51
    cargo= 12 cu. ft.
    total passenger volume =90.9 cu ft.
    2006 Hyundai Elantra Limited sedan:
    headroom F/R = 39.6/38
    leg F/R = 43.2/35
    hip F/R =53/55.6
    shoulder F/R =54.7/53.5
    cargo = 13 cu.ft.
    total passenger volume = 95.4 cu ft.
    So, based on the manufacturers own specs. the Elantra is larger in all dimensions including cargo. If you intend to make flat comments such as this "if you compare a civic to its true Hyundai counterpart you would find the civic on top with regards to interior space" you should do some research first. If you had you would have found what you said is simply not true...oh, did I mention the Elantra is thousands of $$$ less too.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs, and shopped the Civic and Elantra, and bought the Elantra. I didn't enjoy resting my right leg on the Civic's emergency brake handle, and it just seemed less roomy inside.

So far, I'm very pleased with the decision, and absolutely no teething or delivery problems with the Elantra.
    Well I've been looking for a second car. I already own a 2002 Elantra that has been bullet proof so I concidered the 2006 model along with the 2006 Civic EX and the Toyota Corolla CE. Found the Elantra to be the best choice for me based on my size 6'1" and also the best value. Here's the real kicker, went to buy the Elantra GT and while my wife and I were waiting for our salesman to be free she decided to sit in a Sonata. Needless to say one thing led to another we test drove it and ended up buying the Sonata instead. Still saved 2500 bucks over the Civic!!!
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I OWNED A KIA SORENTO FOR A YEAR AND PUT UP WITH ELECTRICAL
    PROBLEMS.SINCE KIA IS PART OF HYUNDAI AND THEY DON'T HAVE SKILLED ELECTRICAL TECHNICIANS I WAS AFRAID TO TRUST ELANTRA. ALSO THE DEPRECIATION OF HYUNDAI IS VERY BAD.
    LIKE 20% VALUE AFTER 5 YEARS VS %50 FOR HONDA.TEST DRIVING THE ELANTRA DID NOT WOW ME LIKE THE HONDA PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE QUIETNESS AND SMOOTHNESS OF THE HONDA ENGINE.THE CIVIC NEEDS MORE ZIP AND STILL RETAIN IT'S GOOD MPG.EVERY
    2.5 LITER I CONSIDERED WAS RATED MID TWENTIES FOR MPG.THE VW RABBIT IS GREAT TO DRIVE BUT CONSUMERS REPORT GIVES IT
    BAD MARKS FOR RELIABILITY.THE SCION Tc WAS MY OTHER CHOICE,
    MAYBE SHOULD HAVE WENT THERE,BUT STYLEWISE I THOUGHT IT WAS BLAND.THE BIGGEST SURPRISE IS AFTER BUYING MY CIVIC I SEE IT IS MADE IN CANADA AND ONLY HAS 15% JAPANESE PARTS.IF
    CAR MAKERS CAN BE INTERNATIONAL WHY CAN'T GOVERNMENTS?WITH
    ALL THE WAR GOING ON I MAY NOT LIVE TO PAY OFF MY CAR.
    PEACE BRO!
    I debated answering this since I like Hyundai products and tend to defend them with vigor. What electrical problems did you experience? Did the dealer fix/try to fix them? Who doesn't have skilled electrical techs. the dealer or the company? I think both do. If you read Consumer Reports or any other automotive publications you should know that Hyundai has been on a rip in the last 5 years with steadily improving quality, design, and reliability until they are consistantly at or near the top in JD Powers ratings of various types. This plus the fact they are being bought by people who NEVER would have considered one a few years ago..including former Honda and Toyota owners who are finding them to be the equal of those brands have already boosted resale value. Wake up..Hyundai depreciation is way up and continuing to rise. I unfortunately bought into the Honda quality myth and now own a 2006 Civic that has had a number of problems common to a certain percentage of 06 owners and I don't like it. I, for one, wish I had stuck to my original plan and bought a 2006-7 Sonata and will as soon as I pay down the mistake.
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Being a former (hmm, still am, wife has a VUE) GM owner I can feel your pain. I don't know if the quality issue with the current Japanese vehicles are a result of a lot of them being built in the U.S., I hope not, or is something becoming complacent because they are now established brands? I see Toyota has now beat out Ford Motor Company in the number 2 slot behind GM in total sales. I believe the reason Ford and GM are doing so badly right now is their arrogance in believing like they have for years that the American public will by inferior products just because they believe most will "buy American". GM is basing most of their vehicle sales now on high dollar, anything but cost efficient SUVs which are now littering the used car lots as people look for more economical vehicles. Hyundai seems to be on the alert to what has made American buyers angry with the Detroit and now growing displeasure with the Japanese market. The current crop of cars and SUVs coming from Hyundai are far and above what they were just 5 years ago. If the trend continues and Honda and Toyota don't get their act together Hyundai may be the next giant killer to watch.
    CORRECTION...Hyundai depreciation is NOT up but instead it is down...less depreciation so they are worth more at trade time.
    That's good to know but for me well, I tend to keep my cars for a long time. My family now owns three Hyundias, a 2002 Elantra, 2002 Sonata and a new 2006 Sonata. All have been bulletproof which is why I keep buying them . As far as Hyundias not having as high of brand acceptance as Honda or Toyota, thats great!!. Thats the reason I'm not paying a HUGE premium that I would have to pay if I had bought either the Hondas or Toyotas. Heck I love it when I see owners buying Econaboxes like the civic or Corolla for 2-3 thousand more than I paid for my latest Sonata and I get the better warranty protection to boot.
  • doug35doug35 Member Posts: 5
    Well it may be "incredibly easy" to get a good deal on a Honda in TX, but in AZ it is not. We shopped for a 2006 Civic and a 2006 Sonata - the Honda dealers do not want to deal. Plus no rebates. In comparison, the Hyundai dealers want to deal and Hyundai provides generous rebates. We purchased a brand-new 2006 Sonata - 4 banger with an auto for $13,800.00! Try to buy any new Honda for that price (maybe you could get a stripped Fit). Also when you factor in the standard features and warranty, the Sonata wins hands down.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You get more metal and a bigger back seat for the money with the Sonata.
    Whether a Civic is worth it depends on how much value you give to fuel economy.
    The Civic gets 30 city 40 highway.
    I don't think there is another automatic vehicle other than a much more expensive hybrid that is at least as comfortable as a Civic that gets better fuel economy for less money.
    The Corolla is the only car with close gas mileage, but it's a much older design that's noisy and less comfortable.
    If you want a car as comfortable or more comfortable than a Civic sedan with better fuel economy, you have to look at a Prius or Camry hybrid.
    Even most/all subcompacts with automatic transmission get lower fuel economy than a Civic and don't even offer cruise control.
  • doug35doug35 Member Posts: 5
    Like you, I am very impressed with the Civic's gas mileage rating. The Sonata 4 with auto trans gets 24 city/33 highway mpg - but when you factor in the real-world price difference that I experienced: $5000.00, you can see why I chose the bigger, quieter, better optioned Sonata. I am the first one to admit, the Honda Civic is a stunning car - but it is also overpriced. The rear suspension problem also sounds troubling. Maybe they will get it sorted out in the next year or two. If mileage and price are the two most important factors, I would look at the Nissan Versa.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Nissan Versa is a curious choice or consideration for anyone who mentions reliability as being a negative aspect of a Honda Civic.

"I heard of some problems with the Honda Civic, so I think I'll go buy a first year Versa (which I assume will have less problems)!"

What?!!

The Renault/Nissan new car is likely to have more, not less problems. At the least, you should wait for a year to see what owners report for problems.
    It is also kind of ugly too.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Don't know what part of Tx heel2toe was talking about but none of the dealers in the San Antonio or Houston area were willing to go below invoice but then I haven't seen any Hyundai dealers selling Sonata's for $13,800.00 either, more like 1 percent over invoice on the GLS four cylinder. You got a heck of a deal
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    my GF has it and i drive it daily, and i'm thoroughly disappointed by her civic. we reget buying civic(yes, we did crossshop)over sonata lx(18.7k OTD), which was cheaper than civic lx(19.3k OTD).

we are taking it to the service because we have a strange noise when we reverse, more than usual vibration, and very weak AC. we get about 22-24/32-35 which is better than sonata, but not as good as it is advertised.

i can't help to think that this is just another a 15k car with very good looks and very very good looking interior. except she bought it for 19k.

we really really miss sonata's accelaration, comfort, size, warranty, and etc. and i have to say sonata has a better build quality even though civic has a better material.
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    sonata has a better build quality

Wonder if that is due to the fact that the Sonata is put together by robots....that don't have hangovers, bad days, etc. :confuse:
  • seniorsenior Member Posts: 13
    I own a 2001 Hyundai xg300.I bought new.It looks brand new and has only 24,000 miles on it.Having nothing to do one day I stopped in a Honda dealer to look at their cars,and test drove a '06 Civic.Not bad,told salesman just looking.He said when I was ready to deal,to sell my car first they didn't want my XG as a trade in,since it wasn't worth anything,I said fine I'buy a Sonata,Hyundai will give me a much better car and decent trade in.What arragence.
    I've found arrogance at Honda, Toyota and Nissan dealers. Maybe if I had gone to Ford and Chevy dealers I would have gotten the same thing. The Chrysler dealers were pleasant enough, got to drive anything I wanted. Of course at that time a Hyundai never even entered my consciousness. The more I read, the more road tests I watch on Edmund's the better I feel that I made the right choice buying a Sonata. The dealer seems genuinely interested in my repeat business. They seem competent, though I haven't had to really use them much. I have dealt with the local Ford, Chrysler, Dodge and Chevrolet dealers in the past and they have left me from luke warm to raging in their service of past vehicles. Time will tell.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Good luck with your dealer service and good luck regarding the "E" (forget its name) storm predicted to hit the Gulf.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    to be arrogant. That's ridiculous. Nissan cars and trucks are good but not that good. Honda dealers should be smarter than that, too. Acting like their cars are the best doesn't make Honda's the best. And Toyota is having big-time quality control issues now. Word has it that they have fired most of their experienced engineers? What is up with that news, gentlemen?

If it's true Toyota quality will get worse before it gets better. Hyundai and my favorite Kia are looking better all the time for a new car choice.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    her civic has misaligned panels every where. i mean i own an acura and never had a problem with build quality.

anyway, brake is making noise. we are definitely taking it to the service.
    Well to be fair the local Honda dealer is also the local Mercedes and BMW dealer. I suppose most people who walk through their doors are expected to pay a premium for the cars they sell. Price is the ultimate snobbery after all.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've never had an "arrogant" experience at the dealership we use, but it is a "small-town" type dealership, not a megastore near the interstate.

Our Honda dealer didn't want to trade-in our 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible back in the late 90s (we were trading it on a Civic EX coupe, 1998). The sales manager told us, flat out, that the car was not something most perspective Honda customers were likely to want. It turns out that he was correct; the car sat on the used portion of the lot for over two months, before finally taking the car to auction..

Perhaps the Honda dealer felt like he couldn't sell the Hyundai on his lot and make a profit, while offering you a fair price? It's not totally out of the realm of possibility, given that Hyundai's still aren't on the good side of the resale wagon...yet. A Hyundai dealer is much more apt to sell a used, reasonably low-demand Hyundai.
    We bought a new 2006 Civic a little less than a year ago, it was one of the first several thousand built in the Ohio plant. From day one and with 9 miles on the odometer I noticed a faint right rear suspension noise. In July with 4500 miles the noise got so bad even my wife commented on it and she drove our old 62 Falcon without oil back in about 1970 long enough for it to lock up and never heard all the rod bearings knocking like hell. Anyhow, both rear shocks leaked with the right side dry and clanking. Yeah, they were replaced under warranty but I had to take a day off work and wait in a dealer lounge yet again with a new Honda yet! Now I hear another commonly reported noise in the front "glovebox area" thought to be a motor mount but not yet covered by a TSB or any other Honda issued remedy I have found. I truly wish I had gone forward with my original plan to buy a 2006 Sonata LX (now Limited)back then. Fuel economy is not everything..nice but not everything. Speaking of fuel economy the Civic seems to be getting about 24 to 25 around town, sounds good right? well I have a rental 2006 Chevy Malibu with a 4 cylinder right now that has a fuel economy readout and it is at 23.4 with similar type in town driving and posted 30+ in mixed highway, mountain, and mountain with 4 passengers driving.I am NOT a Chevrolet fan but that seems pretty good to me. So, I am not really pleased with the Honda and think it is beautiful to look at but rides on the coat-tails its previous great reputation and is overpriced to boot. I had owned 2 Santa Fe's and an Elantra before the Honda mistake and I am going back to Hyundai.
    Re. Mercedes dealers and people expected to pay premium prices, this is generally correct. This is off topic, but here's an example that supports "cajuncyclers" statement: Mercedes-Benz anti-freeze/coolant, some of the best coolant you can buy, costs $22/gallon at the dealer. But, wait, it's made by Valvoline for Mercedes! Smart shoppers know Valvoline Zerex G-05 coolant is exactly the same chemical formulation, and even the same color (yellow), available at NAPA for $11/gallon. Now, back on topic . . .
    We live in a Big Ten conference university "town," and our Honda dealer is a combined BMW/Honda dealership. They are cordial and helpful, but there is a tinge of arrogance in their interaction with customers. And, their service prices are very high in my opinion, maybe a result of the BMW franchise.

While between jobs a few years ago, I worked as a salesman at a local domestic new car dealer, and we were instructed never to denegrate the competition, either dealerships or products. Any good salesperson knows it's not really ethical, or nice, to knock the competition. However, I see this happening often at Honda and Toyota dealerships, especially in relation to Hyundai. Perhaps Hyundai has finally gotten their attention??
    ....Any good salesperson knows it's not really ethical, or nice, to knock the competition. However, I see this happening often at Honda and Toyota dealerships, especially in relation to Hyundai. Perhaps Hyundai has finally gotten their attention??....

I would never assume that any car salesman was ethical. :mad:

Maybe one or two are...but I would never assume it.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    Salesmen and politicians have a lot in common.The silver tongued devils both will steal from widows and orphans.
    At least a salesman is not feeding from the public trough. :P
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Savagekei05 wrote this about Hyundais: "Yes, they have the best warranty because they know their cars cannot last long. "

Just wanted to add my two cents about about warranties and Total Cost to Own (TCO) because several people on this thread have it wrong/incomplete or just have a different opinion from me. I have owned two Honda products and now own a Sonata so I don't think I'm being biased.

As to warranties, I really don't think that manufacturers offer a longer warranty if their products are inferior to others. A warranty is just one of the ways manufacturers use to entice buyers. It acts as both a feature and as an assurance. As any feature, it costs the manufacturer money, just like low interest financing, lots of standard features, free service... So the shorter it is, the less it costs the manufacturer. The longer it is, the less money the manufacturer has available to put into other features or to take as profit. As an assurance, the duration that a manufacturer offers is much more based on customer perceived quality than actual quality. JD Power, Consumer Reports and the like reflect quality scores closer to actual current quality. Customer perception may be based on actual and previous perceived quality from years ago, like with American cars and Hyundai vehicles. Both are much better than they used to be. It's kind of good for Hyundai owners that now actual quality is quite good while public perception may be lagging. So we get a longer warranty on a vehicle that's less likely to need warranty work. It's a nice safety net. My Hyundai hasn't needed any warranty work. Only one of my Hondas was purchased new and that didn't need any warranty work, either.

As to TCO, Edmunds gives it for 5 years of ownership. This time period probably indicates that Hondas cost less to own than comparable Hyundais and may be on par with Hyundais if we take into account the actual price we paid after negotiations and rebates, if any.

If we own our vehicle a long time then the depreciation factor may swing in Hyundai's favor. After 10 years the $22,000 Honda may be worth $2,500 and the $18,000 Hyundai may be worth $1000. Yes, the Honda is worth more than double. However, the Honda lost $19,500 of value while the Hyundai lost only $17,000. So if you want to look at cost of ownership, it's important to think about how long you plan to own your vehicle. I plan to own mine a long time. And my V6 cost me less than a comparable 4 cylinder Accord. Of course, gas for the V6 will cost more than for the 4. But I could have gotten a 4 cylinder Sonata if I wanted to make a fair comparison.

In the end, when discussing the merits and shortcomings of vehicles, there's no reason to bash one car maker when comparing to another. Each company makes vehicles that appeal to different people. And that's good. The more competition, the more choice for all of us and the lower prices for all of us no matter which car we choose!
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    My son owns an 04 Accord V6 EX and let me tell you my 06 Sonata LX6 and Azera Limited has it all over that car. His car was delivered with loose engine mounts, his brake pads failed in less then 10,000 miles and the rotors were out of round. A known fact that Honda uses CHEAP brake pads. Now he has all 4 shocks completely non functional and Honda is replacing them under warranty. I'll match my Hyundai's to any car in their class. If you are still around you would know that Hyundai quality is on a par with any manufacturer and in many instances it's better. I came out of Accura TL's (leased 6 over recent years) and I don't, for one minute, regret switching to Hyundai, my Sonata is 1 year old and my Azera is 5 months old, and my wife and I are enjoying them both. :) :P
    Savagekei05 wrote this about Hyundais: "Yes, they have the best warranty because they know their cars cannot last long. "

Another classic oxymoron.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Well said.
    I have a friend that works for Hyundai and is in a great position to know of their quality.
    And from what I've learned from him, a Hyundai Sonata is definitely on my short list now for a new car along with the Civic Sedan, Camry, and Rav4.

I also appreciate that Hyundai's feel bigger inside and always seem to have great leg room. And now they are including XM radio on most trims.
    And the standard safety feature is a plus.
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    I own a 06' Civic EX and I think that this car is wonderful. But at the same time I have heard good things about Hyundai as well. I like the Sonata because it offers a lot of value. I do wonder how everybody claims really low prices for the Sonata. I see them all list for 21000+. My only concern is resale.
    As far as arrogance at Honda dealers well that goes without saying. I think that out of the 10 dealerships that I have been to I think maybe only 1 has been all right. My next car I plan on cross shopping. I have been a Honda fan for a long time but the arrogance is really getting on my nerves.
    While they may list for $21K (plus or minus) depending on model options etc. they usually have rebates of a grand or so plus you can negotiate a bit. Try that with a Honda dealer especially on a Fit or Civic when gas is creeping upwards. You absolutely can buy a Sonata GLS with more everything (except fuel economy perhaps)for less than an EX auto sedan Civic if you check around. Resale on Hyundai products is going up as the good news spreads and people have positive experiences with them. It took Honda and Toyota for that matter quite a while to establish the perceived quality image they rightly or wrongly have right now. We have been a Hyundai "family" owning 4 (2000 Elantra,2003 Elantra, 2002 and 2003 Santa Fe) until I bought the 2006 Civic we now own. I was totally happy with Hyundai and now am less than happy with Honda. Do not be afraid to look at Hyundai they are not junk.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    In my opinion the Sonata is better buy than those Japanese compacts because the top of the line models cost as much as mid level sonata, if resale is your thing go with Honda, but if value is your thing go with the sonata with the V6, i was going to buy a Scion TC spec package even the sonata was 4k more than scion but it had a V6, front and rear Airbags,Electronic stability control with traction control, the sonata has my name written all over it, i'm glad did not settle for less
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Seems to me that a comparision of the Civic with the Elantra would be more fair. I have owned both Hyundai's and Honda's and haven't had problems with either. But you do pay a premium for the Hondas and unless you trade in every year or so, you don't get it back.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It might be more fair to the Civic to compare the Elantra to it, but since (as noted earlier) the Sonata can be had for about the same money or actually much less than a comparable Civic (e.g. advertised price in my town last weekend for a Sonata GLS was $13,998), buyers may compare the Civic and Sonata if they are looking for "most car for the dollar." Those looking for a small car with high fuel economy won't shop the Sonata of course.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i still don't mind hyundai's,but having them being sold for so cheap isn't reasurring. :surprise:
    Honda Accords can be had for less than a Civic LX too, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Nor do I lose sleep over the inflated pricing of Civics.

Prices of Hyundais have come UP overall in the past couple of years. Who would have paid over $30k for a Hyundai 2-3 years ago? They do now (Azera, Veracruz). Good luck finding a fully loaded Elantra with leather, alloys, AT, moonroof, ABS etc. for $13k as I did a little over 3 years ago. Incentives have dropped on the Sonata also compared to last year.
  • lengallilengalli Member Posts: 3
    I AM a Honda dealer. I will not say one bad thing about the crooked H cars, as I find them quite enjoyable. However, some facts. One, the Civic competes with the Elantra, NOT the Sonata. LX vs same type Elantra and the REAL prices are $2000 apart when factoring in rebates etc etc etc. Still, the Honda is a better VALUE. For $2000 more, you get more reliability, more safety, and more economy (CHECK CONSUMER REPORTS IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME). You get an ACE frame/sub-frame in the Honda, not avail in the other H. DRIVE them both, you will find the HONDA drives better, and FEELS better, and LOOKS better, (DRIVE THEM before thinking otherwise). Trade in. EVERY dealer is paying TOP DOLLAR for used Honda's, meaning, you CAN get KBB/Black Book on a HONDA. YOU CANNOT GET ANYTHING NEAR THAT ON A HYUNDAI. PERIOD. THERE IS NO MARKET FOR USED HYUNDAIS. PERIOD. The ONLY people buying USED crooked H cars are people with BAD credit, or "get me boughts". Dealers DO NOT pay the rediculous prices KBB spews from its webiste as "trade-in". FACT, dealers are paying THOUSANDS less than "trade-in" to buy used Hyundai's. You CAN check this out, by looking at what dealers are charging for used Hyundai's and when you do, you will see them priced retail - AT or BELOW WHOLESALE! This MEANS that they OWN the car for a lot less than that. (OFTEN $3,000 or MORE Less).

Warranty, if you want a REAL warranty, get HONDA CARE (LOOK IT UP). It is VERY inexpensive, covers the WHOLE VEHICLE, is transferable (UNLIKE the Hyundai warranty) AND if you do NOT use it, get a refund !!!!!! HONDA, not Hyundai has the BEST warranty. And, lets not forget - the company with the real BEST warranty is the one where you NEVER have to use it. (Check consumer reports reliability ratings, HONDA is #1, NOT Hyundai).

BUY AMERICAN, take a look at where your CAR is built. CIVICS are built in the US, by US workers making them a more US car than MANY "domestics".

While the Hyundai is guaranteed to get you where you are going. The HONDA does it so much better.
  • lengallilengalli Member Posts: 3
    One more thing. ALL CARS DO NOT AGE THE SAME. One thing I love to do for "cross-shoppers" is this. I show them what a 3 or 4 or 5 or older year competitor vehicle looks like, vs a Honda from the same period. I do this because, 5 and even 10 year old Honda's look, AND DRIVE, just like they did when they were NEW. The competetion doesnt even come close. Consumers have this weird thought process going on when they read that so and so car manufacturer is "getting better", or "most improved". Its almost like they think of the car like a person, which is what the car manufacturer wants. Fact is, whatever car you buy, is NOT going to IMPROVE at all, its not going to GET BETTER, if and when someone makes a car better than HONDA, your car will NEVER be THAT car. Those words simply give HOPE that ONE day things will get better. Thats NOT how cars work, they are not students in high school that 'could' do better 2marro.
    Thanks for saying up front "I am a Honda dealer." That explains a lot.

It helps to stick to facts though. For example:

* Some people buy the most car they can with their budget. That pits the Sonata against the Civic, whether you like it or not. Size-wise, the Civic does compete more with Elantra, but the Elantra enjoys a big advantage in real-world price and interior room (mid-sized). The Accent actually has more interior room than the Civic. Also, CR named the Elantra SE their Top Pick in the Under $20k sedan class, over the Civic. Check CR if you don't believe me.

* As for reliability, the Sonata is one of the most reliable sedans according to CR. Civic is reliable also. A wash.

* More safety? Civic has an advantage in the IIHS side crash test (Good vs. Acceptable), but Sonata has standard ESC on all trims. I'd say that's no worse than a wash for the Sonata.

* More economy? Sure. You get higher fuel economy on a compact car with a 1.8L 140 hp engine than on a full-sized car with a 2.4L, 175 hp engine. That is the tradeoff in driving a much larger, smoother, quieter, more comfortable car. The Civic gets better FE than the Accord too--so what? (And the Sonata gets better FE than the Accord.)

* Feels better? Again you are trading off crisper handling (on a much smaller car) for considerably better ride smoothness. Yes, I've driven both. Have you?

* Looks better? That is totally subjective. I think both cars look good outside, but I much prefer the looks of the interior of the Sonata.

* There is no used market for Hyundais? That is a laughable statement.

* Warranty? Honda Care costs extra, correct? Hyundai also offers an extra-cost extended warranty that is fully transferrable and provides 100k miles of bumper-to-bumper protection.

* Buy American? Did you know the Sonata is made in America, by American workers?.
    You've never owned a Hyundai, have you? I've owned two--a 2001 Elantra that is now nearly 8 years old, and a 2004 Elantra. The 2001 is owned by my sister now. She loves it and says it still drives and looks like new. And it has been very reliable. My 2004 Elantra also drives and looks new, and the biggest problem it's had in over 4 years is that I had to replace the headlamp bulbs--covered under warranty. And these Elantras are a fairly old design, not nearly as good a car as the current Sonata. Hyundais are getting better with each generation.

The day when someone makes a car that is better than Honda has already arrived. Examples: CR's Top Pick in the economy sedan class is the Elantra, not the Civic. CR's Top Pick in the mid-sized SUV class is the Santa Fe, not the CR-V or Pilot.

I recommend you take a close look at what you are competing with. You might be surprised.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I pretty much agree with everything you say. Nice post; well-rounded.

And before anyone says otherwise, there are 3 Hondas in my driveway, zero Hyundais. Yet...
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    Apples and Oranges are both relatively round fruit. They both grow on trees. They can both be squeezed to make juices.

I find it funny that you're comparing the Elantra AND the Sonata to the Civic, whenever it suits your purpose. I also find it funny that when it comes to the engine size difference, you whitewash the argument by bringing the Accord into the mix.

Stop comparing one mid-sized vs full-sized on full-size standards. The reason Civic owners own a Civic over the competition can't be based on full size standards (e.g. larger engine, more seating room, etc.).

Compare the Civic to the Elantra, Corolla, and the Sentra. Not to the competitor's full sized sedans.

And no, there is no market for Hyundais that are used or out of warranty except for teenager's first cheap cars. I almost thought about buying a Hyundai until I saw that the True Cost To Own over 5 years is thousands higher on the Hyundai thanks to its amazingly high depreciation rate.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Here here backy! That dealer guy is completely clueless. My friend has a top of the line civic and it's a nice car for sure. But my sonata is just as nice and feels just as nice for the interior and driving. Also the fuel economy is only a few miles less in city and highway for a much larger car. I like Civics, but not enough to overpay for one.

Also I'd like to mention my 2003 elantra had the BEST tco ever. I paid 12.2k OTD and was cashed out after a totalled accident for $8200 for 5 years - deductible. That's a freaking $4000 depreciation for 5 years. NO civic or corolla could ever beat that. Hell no car I know of in the entire world could beat that! I know my new sonata unfortunately won't, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless. So saying that hyundai cars have no resale value is [non-permissible content removed]. Their depreciation is higher, but not THAT much higher.

Also I'll note my car's reliability was top notch. The only issue I ever had was a minor door seal wind noise problem. Once that was fixed, no problems in 5 years...besides my own accidents :) I hope for the same reliability in my new vehicle.

Honda's are nice, Hyundais are just as nice. Don't spew millions of tons of propoganda here. This is not a mormon or scientology board ;)
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I certainly compared the civic vs sonata when I was shopping. The reason I didn't include the accord was because it was way outta my price range.

This was on my list of cars to consider when I was shopping for the car I got a couple weeks ago:
    Honda Fit
    Honda Civic
    Mazda3
    Mitsu Lancer
    Hyundai Sonata
    Hyundai Elantra
    Suby Impreza

There is on obvious thing in this...and that is the PRICE. I compare based on price and the Sonata is the same or less than a civic. As you'll note I had a definite interest in some of the Hondas, but the number of features and interior didn't compare to purchasing a Sonata. Why would we compare purely based on size? By that standard, you're saying a tiny Porsche shouldn't be compared against a large bmw 7 series if you were shopping in that market? I say bs on that :)
This discussion has been closed.