Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• matrix09matrix09 Member Posts: 6
    What year is your Matrix? I am looking for a good repair/shop manual and have only found Chilton's which is NO HELP AT ALL for anything more detailed than changing a lightbulb (at least for Matrix). So what have you used and your experience? Noted your comment on manual and interested in more. How about doing an Instructible (Instructibles.com) on tran repair -- haha! But you do write well and good pics.

Thanks
  • matrix09matrix09 Member Posts: 6
    What year is your Matrix? I am looking for a good repair/shop manual and have only found Chilton's which is NO HELP AT ALL for anything more detailed than changing a lightbulb (at least for Matrix). So what have you used and your experience? Noted your comment on manual and interested in more. How about doing an Instructable (Instructables.com) on tran repair -- haha! But you do write well and good pics.

Thanks
  • jchan01545jchan01545 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    Mine is a 2004 XR with about just over 109K. I recommend getting a Matrix service manual (check out eBay). Below is the blog that I found very helpful in describing how to get the transmission out. Once out you can follow the directions on rebuilding the "Manual Transaxle Assembly" - starting on page 41-26.

http://wehavescissors.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-clutch-in-pontiac-vibe-or.ht- - ml

Here's the original thread, useful tips from other user:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=21943

It's my understanding that the Vibe is a Toyota with different branding.

If you're going to take on this major undertaking, you're going to need lots of tools and time. I've run into lots of issues that took way more time than I expected (some requiring purchasing specialized tools) to get past steps that the service manual and blogs make sound like a piece of cake (i.e., remove the transmission cover by tapping with a plastic hammer -- yeah, right). Harbor Freight and Amazon are very happy with me but my wallet is suffering. And there are steps in the service manual that can be skipped.

Here are the trouble-spots that I ran into:

* Removing the drive shafts. Now that I know how much pressure it takes to remove them, I'd just use a flat crowbar with a piece of wood against the transmission body to pry the driveshaft housing away from the transmission -- you don't have to pry all that hard, it comes out rather easily. I rented a puller from Advance Auto Parts to do this (no charge once you return the equipment).

* Getting the transmission separated from the engine. There is a guide pin on the firewall side of the engine and transmission that refused to separate. Once I got some light on that side I was able to see the pin. I squirt some Kroil Oil on it and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Another 10 minutes later the transmission was finally off. I think that if I had pried the transmission away from the engine evenly it would not have hung up on that pin.

* Getting the transmission cover off. Spent a couple of hours banging with a plastic hammer like the directions said. I tried heating the gasket and top cover with a torch, no success. Tried using a brass rod and hammer, still a no go. Finally found a spot that I could use a flat crowbar without risking any damage to the housing, about 30 seconds later the cover was off.

* Getting the 5th driven gear off (to expose the output bearing). I needed to purchase a gear puller that had a narrow enough profile to get beneath the gear, ended up purchasing a Posi-Lock Model 104 puller from Sears (couldn't find anything else locally that would fit). It was *just* narrow enough to get beneath that gear and worked like a champ. The straight arm pullers that the service manual recommended were a lot more money.

* Separating the bell housing from the mid-section of the transmission. Instructions say to use a brass bar and hammer. The instructions failed to mention that the input and output shafts and their bearings need to be coaxed off while splitting the housing before the sections can come apart. Don't do what I did, I split the two with the transmission was on its side to get more leverage and ended up spilling some of the gears and levers inside the housing, it was a huge mess with gears hitting other gears and parts falling out. Took me an hour figure out where things go.
  • kingkueikingkuei Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2003 Corolla 5-Spd using the same C59 transmission. At 162,000 miles, my transmission gave up the ghost. At first, I thought it was just my clutch and flywheel since the clutch has been slipping for awhile now. I just didn't have the money to get around to replacing them right away.

Three weeks ago, I suffered a sudden and catastrophic failure driving home on the freeway (thank God it was midnight and barely any traffic). I started to hear an usual whining from the transmission coupled with scraping and grinding noises and periodic screeching).

Anyway, I was still on the original clutch and I had already ordered up a new Fidanza clutch and an MWR chromoly flywheel in addition to a TRD Japan clutch line. I was actually getting really excited, but after putting all these shiny new parts in, I've come to the realization that it was not the clutch that failed, but rather, something inside the transmission. I talked to a well-regarded and heavily-recommended gear shop nearby (3 out of 6 mechanics in my area recommended the same guy). As soon as I mentioned I had a Toyota 5-spd, he went on a rant about them and how many rebuilds he's done on these Toyota transmissions. He then proceeded to show me up a blow-up diagram of the transmission and started pointing out the bearings that have most often failed. He was even aware of the plastic cage inside that he thinks has probably shattered.

Luckily, my rebuild is going to come out to around $1300-$1400 (that includes labor to remove and reassemble the transmission back on my car), which I think is an incredibly good deal. I've heard of people spending twice as much on parts and labor!

Anyway, just wanted to post my experience. After reading this thread, I almost feel like one of the lucky ones. My original clutch lasted 162,000 miles, as did my transmission. While I would have liked this transmission to keep humming for another 40,000-90,000 miles, it seems unrealistic to expect any vehicle component to last that long. I suspect that the bean counters at Toyota figure an average person will keep a car for max 10 years and drive about 15,000 miles a year. So shooting for component life of around 150,000 miles is probably expected. It's a mechanical device, and I know that there are going to be plenty of other things that will break down as I start getting closer to that 200k mark. It's just inevitable.
  • unbearableunbearable Member Posts: 8
    We had to replace our five-speed manual transmission at 98,000 miles! I sent a certified letter to the president of Toyota Motor Corp. North America. I was told since there is no recall, I would not be compensated. The cost was $3,100!

Please sign my petition at http://www.change.org/petitions/unbearable-transmission-bearing Hopefully if there are enough signatures, Toyota will do a recall.

Thank you!!
    We had to replace our five-speed manual transmission on our Toyota Matrix at 98,000 miles! I sent a certified letter to the president of Toyota Motor Corp. North America. I was told since there is no recall, I would not be compensated. The cost was $3,100!

Please sign my petition at http://www.change.org/petitions/unbearable-transmission-bearing Hopefully if there are enough signatures, Toyota will do a recall.

Thank you!!
    We had to replace our five-speed manual transmission on our Toyota Matrix at 98,000 miles! I sent a certified letter to the president of Toyota Motor Corp. North America. I was told since there is no recall, I would not be compensated. The cost was $3,100!

Thank you!!
  • ericspyderericspyder Member Posts: 33
    Hi all,
    I plan to buy a 05 XRS Matrix. I'd like to ask your opinion about that year with XRS 6 speed transmission problem. I'm interesting in a 05 XRS with 125K miles, just replaced OEM clutch . Do you think that is OK to buy it? or maybe not? Thank you for your recommendation.

Eric
    Eric prior to buying the '05 Matrix, I suggest you do extensive research on it to see if the same transmission problem exists. If so, I would not buy it. It is a very expensive repair.

I have also heard that the clutch on the Matrix is not suitable for the weight of the car. I had to replace the clutch at the same time as the transmission! Big bucks! Both of these were replaced at 98,000 miles.

On the Matrix petition site, several people posted they had the same transmission problem with their Matrix. Definitely do your research.
  • ericspyderericspyder Member Posts: 33
    Thank you for fast reply. Your advise is definitely make me think twice about Matrix. I'll looking for something else. Thanks again and good luck with your class action.

Eric
  • canonlawcanonlaw Member Posts: 20
    I posted here back in 2007, after my 2003 Matrix 5-speed transmission died at 65,000 miles. At the time, I thought it might be faulty bearings or something else, so I had it rebuilt for $1800. Well, it lasted a little longer this time. It starting failing a year ago, and now the grinding is really bad again, at 142,000 miles. So, I ordered a 6-speed from a wrecking yard and it is going in hopefully this weekend. But if I have any other major problems, I am basically through with this car. See the list of repairs below.

Catalytic converter $600
    Starter $400
    Brake rotors warped at 70,000 miles ($300)
    AC Relay stopped working $10
    Transmission $1800
    Transmission 2 $1600 hopefully with new clutch
    canonlaw, it is terrible that you have had to spend so much on your car! You should not have to replace the transmission twice. I really think this car has a defective transmission.

So far, over thirty people who signed the petitition have had this happen with their Matrix (and one with a Pontiac Vibe which has the same transmission). I wonder how many others there are.
  • nebraskamattnebraskamatt Member Posts: 1
    Noooooooooooo! I bought a Matrix!

I've always been a Toyota person, but after dropping $7,000 on a 2003 Toyota Matrix with 100,000 miles on it, and only getting 2 years and 15,000 miles of use before the transmission and clutch went out, I will not buy Toyota again! Wow... my stomach turns to think that I blew $0.50 per mile on that piece of (expletive). Who would have thought that driving downtown, my biggest expense was not parking, but simply owning an F'ing Matrix.

Please excuse my disgust and frustration.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2012
    While I sympathize with your experience, and I feel it is criminal that Toyota does not acknowlege and not only reimburse all owners of these transmissions, and CHANGE the design of the tran so it does not just go prematurely again, but the clutch going out is unrelated to the starved-for-oil bearing location design. There is no reason that a clutch being used properly (the previous owner may not have) should not outlive at least two or even three of these crappy OEM Matrix standard transmissions. Poor clutch habits can actually kill a clutch in a brand new car in the same day it is driven/abused off the lot (as an extreme example). It is also a fact, though, that some cars have more hardy designs than others. 300 to 400k miles is not uncommon on a clutch owned by an owner with good habits.

The other day I watched a guy in a Chev full-sized P/U hold it at a light on a steep hill. Just with the clutch...rocking it back and forth, back and forth, for about 90 seconds! I could smell that poor clutch and had to close the recirculate door on the HVAC. And that guy will wonder why he gets so few miles out of a clutch. Buying a used stick can be risky business if you cannot confirm the previous owner's habits, and it doesn't just end with the clutch either.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    The clutch started to slip on my 2006 Matrix at just 32K miles.
    Only going up hills ~3500rpm, near the engine's torque peak.
    The previous owner must have dogged it in the 8,100 miles they had it.
    Unfortunately no way to know that time bomb was there.

Got the car back today. (Excellent indie shop in College Park MD)
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/jungs-auto-service-college-park
    The flywheel and pressure plate had blue color from overheating.
    The flywheel had to be resurfaced.
    The friction disk was not worn down much.
    The pressure plate springs apparently were weakened from the heat.
    I can really feel the difference.
  • timslewistimslewis Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I purchased a Matrix or specifically a Toyota because I thought they would last forever. I also took the vehicle to the shop where I purchased the vehicle, and the shop guy said yeah they tend to do that at 100k.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    edited January 2013
    well, I would totally disagree with that simplistic logic from your dealer. What I hope he meant was that it is a very bad idea leaving the original fluid in the transmission (automatic) to the mileage outlined in the owner's manual. Many transmissions, to include Toyota's, are indeed failing around that point because owners don't believe they need to exchange the fluid until sometime around the 100,000 mile mark and beyond. I had the same thing happen to me in a Hyundai. Fact is, leaving the second most important fluid in your car "forever" will ensure a premature transmission failure. Exchange the fluid at 60,000, not at 100,000 or even worse, leaving it in "forever."
    I think he meant they all "tend to blow up" around then. But I have read of many failures long before 100k. It is a bad design flaw and Toyota (surprisingly to me as I guess I always had placed them on an undeserved pedestal) simply won't acknowledge the flaw.

In fact, I am recalling this as I shop for a car now. Also remembering Mazda screwing loyal owners of rusted Proteges, Honda with their autos in Oydessy and Civics, Hyundai with their auto in Santa Fe and some Elantras, Chrysler and Ford with their sketchy autos and all the other non tranny related issues etc as almost all brands seem to have their issues in one way or another.

I didn't know what to think when I first learned of GM not having a drain available on their "sealed for life" auto trans in their Malibus etc many years ago now. I suppose it helped idiot-proof them by ensuring that no one puts engine oil or something else in there or overfills etc. but it still seems like a drastic solution to that.

But at least there is one big difference between oils/fluids in an auto tranny vs an engine...at least in a tranny there are no by-product contaminations from combustion, so helps in not having sulfuric acid etc eating away at bearings...but there are still sources of contamination from gear wear and clutch pack debris.
    And also, I suspect that there must be additives in an auto trans fluid that assist seals in the tranny to keep their shape and pliability to resist leaks and ruptures.

I used to think that if you bought a standard, you're set for 400k + if you didn't abuse it and replaced the gear oil every 60k or so. But not so..there are good standards and poor ones. Same with autos..there are good designs and poor designs. Pays to read up before a car purchase.

If you use heavy trucks/buses etc as an example, standard transmissions last easily 3 to 4 times longer than a similar torque-capable automatic in the same application. This tells me that the standard will always be capable of greater longevity, providing the original design is good to start with.
  • marjomarjo Member Posts: 28
    If you are suggesting that these manual shift Toyotas are failing due to something the owners did or didn't do, then your logic is the one that's simplistic and flawed. I feel sorry for those that still believe that Toyotas are anything like what they were 20-30y ago. I guess you must live and learn on your own.
    ps-my standard 2003 Matrix died in 2007 with 84,000km
    Did you ever change the gear oil?
    No one with these failures seems willing to answer that question.
    You must work for Toyota..

The trans FAILED at 50000 miles! and theirs wasn't the only one to fail that early. What part of that has to do with changing trans oil? First change isn't even due by then. Now if they all failed at 300+ k km (180000 miles) and never had an oil change, then maybe you'd have a point.
    Come back and try to defend if you want but if you feel you must, please do so AFTER you have researched this DESIGN FLAW first. You will find out that the MANY failures have nothing to do with neglected maintenance.

Perhaps you could also tell us why replacement trans didn't last any longer than the first one..or if they did was not much longer.

To save you some time...there is a bearing that is in a bad spot that goes oil starved due to design. If it was just a bad batch of bearings, the replacements would last longer wouldn't they?
    More noise but no answer to my question.
    I'm looking for information, not bluster.

Often (not)changing the oil has EVERYTHING to do with failure.
    You ASSume I'm trying to blame the driver.
    Maybe Toyota should spec trans oil changes every 30k miles like my previous 3 Hondas did.
    Many companies now claim "lifetime" trans fluid in their automatics.
    Honda once claimed 105k mile valve lash adjustments in the CRV that led to failures.
    Big mistakes to make the cars seem cheaper to maintain.

Do these transmissions fail if the oil is changed like in days of old?
    I still have no answer to that question, your venting not withstanding.

I changed my trans oil at 21k miles after reading about the failures.
    It looked "dirtier" than the oil from one of my Hondas at 30k miles.
    Maybe there's some break in wear particles that need to be cleared out early on.
    edited January 2013
    "I changed my trans oil at 21k miles after reading about the failures.
    It looked "dirtier" than the oil from one of my Hondas at 30k miles. "

And there ya go, you answered your own question. Dirtier oil at fewer miles means more wear than its competitor. Excessive wear is due to either inferior components or poor design of the package. I too change my oil prematurely when I buy a new (or used for that matter..first thing I do is swap fluids if I buy used) but you can't deny (not if you have researched as I have..you still haven't said) that instead of an averaged neglected trans (representing the masses) lasting 200k miles, these ones are crapping at even less than 50k. What's so hard to understand? For comparisons sake a Fiesta calls for an oil change at 150000 miles. It's first change! And far be it from me to defend Ford as I am no fan.

It is not a reasonable expectation to have to change your manual tran oil only twice fewer times as you change your crankcase oil in order to get 200k out them.
    Anyway, not going to debate with you further..have last word if you want.
  • shifrbvshifrbv Member Posts: 1
    I changed my trans oil at 51k, still at 60k got dreaded torque converter, stuck solenoid.

Car was always hard to get out of first gear. When changed ts oil -> oil was dark black.

Called toyota, support claiming they never heard about this problem. What kind of car has transmission issues at 60k 2012? The worst junker transmission would last longer.

Oh but they gave me case number if I want to complain: 1301222774.

This company does not stand by they products.

People buying Matrix are stupid. They are not quality cars. :mad:
    Just thought I'd add a little to this discussion. I had two hondas that's both made it to 200,000 miles and I never changed the trans oil. I also never changed the clutch as they both lasted until I sold them. I also put 50k miles on a Subaru 5 speed in two years and no problem there either. Would it make it to 65k I don't know but no problems after 50k.

I bought my 03 matrix with 65k miles and it already had a weird sound when I bought it. The shop said it was a clutch so I negotiated $950 off the price. Upon further diagnosis it turned out to be the transmission. I had it completely rebuilt and it lasted another 65000 miles. The fluid was new when it was rebuilt. I changed it 30k miles later. Still, the exact same problem came back 30k miles later. So blaming it on the lack of trans fluid changes is BS. I did answer your question about whether fluid changes affect it. As others have stated it is a bearing lubrication failure. You can change the fluid every day and it won't make a difference. It won't help.
  • uncle_al_2013uncle_al_2013 Member Posts: 1
    I've had over a dozen vehicles with manual transmissions, but have never had a transmission problem until I bought my 2005 Matrix. Next week I will be replacing the transmission for the second time in 2 1/2 years. This is ridiculous and the LAST time I buy a Toyota.
  • margieathommargieathom Member Posts: 2
    My advice is DON'T go for the AWD in a Toyota. I just bought a used one, only 7 years old, and the transmission failed almost immediately. It was an internal problem that no amount of inspection could have uncovered. Then the rear differential failed completely. I have had the car less than 2 months and it has cost me over $4,000 in repairs and I have been without it many days while it is in the shop or transmission place.
    I don't think Toyota did the AWD thing right. I am horribly disappointed.
  • margieathommargieathom Member Posts: 2
    Has there been any movement with another lawsuit against Toyota for the faulty transmissions? I just had a failed one and then the rear differential went out immediately. What I saw online was that Toyota lost a lawsuit about the RAV4 transmission. Makes me wonder if there is hope to get a class action suit going....What do you know?
    I find your subject line curious. To my knowledge, Matrix only used an auto tran with the AWD model. Also, this is the first I have heard of a rear dif issue. I wonder if your car was the victim of a flood at some point in its life?
    In any event, please clarify, if you have a manual tran Matrix and AWD, it's a very rare beast indeed.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles with it though.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Surprise, Those are Toyota normal standards.
  • alpacahunteralpacahunter Member Posts: 1
    Transmission failure at 56k after hearing noises and Toyota kept selling me stuff that didn't fix the problem now the transmission grenaded to a point where the car does not roll at all front wheels are locked. Bad design transmissions by TOYOTA.
  • keperonekeperone Member Posts: 1
    I have been a Toyota owner for years and years. I think my 1st one was 1982. I have a 2009 Matrix with 90,000 mls on it and now the transmission compressor is going out. I put my foot on the gas pedal and..nothing...then, my tires screech because I am going so fast. I am soon to be unemployed. How much is this going to cost me? After reading your posts, I want to join in the class action. I have never had a car with 90,000 miles have the transmission go out.

Hopefully someone will help me with this. I also have the electric system do strange things (dark lights/bright lights) Toyota has really gone downhill. My whole family are Toyota owners. This is a game-changer.

keperone
    edited August 2013
    Transmission compressor? Is this an automatic?
    The numerous complaints on the web are about the 5-speed manual.
    Here's another thread about the issue:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-generation-2003-2008/418096-2004-matri- - x-early-transmission-failure-corolla-also-2.html

I've found those with the failure either never changed the transmission oil, don't think it's necessary to change transmission oil, or get defensive and prefer to blame Toyota rather than their lax maintenance habits.
    Not sure where you found this info but the transmission is most definitely defective. You can't just blame peoples maintenance habits. I bought my 2003 matrix with 65,000 miles on it and the transmission was already starting to go. So maybe the prior owner didn't change the fluids. I still think that is crazy to have it fail at 65000 miles. I had it rebuilt and then I babied the heck out of it. Got fluid changes every 30,000 miles and it failed again at 125,000. So maybe you want to say I am hard on my cars. I am not. I'm an average driver who put 150,000 miles on my 1993 civic i had before and it is still going strong at 200,000+ I put 65,000 miles on my legacy gt and the transmission was fine. I also put about 45,000 miles on an 88 4runner and it was fine (had 200+ when I bought it.) Re read the posts and you will find many people who followed the maintenance to the letter and had the problem.
    edited August 2013
    Exactly.

Works for Toyota.

Post 550 might be of interest. This particular quote was ignored before and is still being ignored.

"I had it completely rebuilt and it lasted another 65000 miles. The fluid was new when it was rebuilt. I changed it 30k miles later. Still, the exact same problem came back 30k miles later. So blaming it on the lack of trans fluid changes is BS. I did answer your question about whether fluid changes affect it. As others have stated it is a bearing lubrication failure. "

And there are a few posts prior too, that would suggest he just likes to stir up a few of these newer owners/victims. When they come here for answers, they don't need some unsympathetic poster posting repeat nonsense every 7 months.
  • sprispri Member Posts: 1
    Last year bought a 2003 Toyota Matrix 2005 and thought was an excellent car...at first...the man I bought from had just had the transmission replaced and I thought it was uncommon for a Toyota, but I reasoned that I had the benefit of a new transmission - NOT TRUE. Am a single mom and work multiple jobs and now the cars transmission just stopped working and had to be towed- am not knowing what to do, have only driven the car less then 50 k miles...it's just sitting there with a broken transmission...PLEASE any suggestions would help... God Bless.
    The 2003 and 2004 5-speeds did have a real problem.
    I just like to tweak the people saying "Toyota is junk".
    You can get a 6-speed transmission for $2,000 and have it installed:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_179&products_id=1665-
  • concernedmom9concernedmom9 Member Posts: 4
    My daughter took delivery of her 2013 Matrix on 22 Aug 2013. It is a standard and she had to learn how to drive standard. She had it pretty much aced within the first 12 hours. At hour 13 the check engine light came on. Service told her due to learning how to drive standard and reset computer??
    On Tues the 27 of Aug 2013 she said she could hear grinding in 4th gear. She was working and did not have time to bring it in so it was Friday before she got it there. Long weekend, loaner car, and a phone call on Tuesday telling her they have to replace the transmission!!!! The car had 185 klms on it when she took delivery, she had 900 klms when she brought it to service!!!!!!! I contacted the dealer and Toyota Canada and they pretty much told me too bad that is what we are doing!!! I have contacted the Consumer Affairs and Market Place by email, have not had a response yet. Interesting to see all of these troubles with this vehicle!!!!
    My daughters 2013 Matrix, 5 speed transmission failed, 6 days and approx 750 klms after she purchased it new. Took delivery Thursday 22 Aug 2013, at service 30 Aug 2013. Can anyone top that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My daughters transmission failed within 6 days and approx 750 klms, 2013 Toyota Matrix 5 speed!!!! Who do you blame for this!!!!
    My daughters transmission failed after approx 750 klms and 6 days after delivery. 2013 Toyota Matrix delivered evening of 22 Aug, 2013, back to shop for new transmission on 30 Aug 2013.
    my email
    [email protected]
    First of all, sure you can buy a 6-speed, which is what I did, but that is total crap. Ive NEVER had a transmission fail on me in almost 20 years of driving MT cars.

Also, lets go through the list of stuff that has failed on my matrix with 155k miles on it.

Transmission (twice)
    O2 sensor
    Catalytic converter
    starter (twice)
    Rotors warped at 60,000 miles
    air conditioning relay (twice)

Not to mention tons of rattles, squeaks, and just general poor build quality.

I love the matrix, and love all the stuff it can do, all the utility etc, but the build quality is definitely shoddy for any car, and especially bad for a Toyota. I also don't really think the problem is just the Matrix. Look at all the issues with the Prius and other cars with stuck gas pedals, etc. Toyota is definitely to blame for trying to grow too big to fast.
  • mbealesmbeales Member Posts: 6
    Hopefully your daughter's transmission repairs will be covered under warranty. If so you might chalk it up to "stuff happens" and remember that occasional flaws happen even in the very best products. In any case your daughter (and you if you're the one who taught her how do drive stick) might find the tutorial at http://www.cartalk.com/content/learn-drive-stick-0 helpful. It's the best method I've seen for learning to drive stick with minimum frustration and damage to the clutch. It's also important to keep in mind (and remind Toyota if necessary) that it is the clutch, not the transmission that might be expected to be damaged by someone new to a manual transmission. The transmission in my 2006 Matrix failed at 65,000 miles, just out of warranty. Toyota paid for the new transmission and charged me about $1000 to put it in. I'm at 131,000 miles now and it hasn't failed yet, knock on wood!
    we get it, and I sympathize with you, but that is a freak occurrence. That car is under warranty. Get it fixed by them and stop posting over and over.
  • mickeyk4mickeyk4 Member Posts: 3
    I have been to the dealer several times about this issue but they can't seem to find the problem.
    My problem is anytime I use my Bluetooth to talk to someone who is out of state, something pops like lighting is hitting the speaker or better example is it has the sound that you hear when you tap a jumper cable to a battery post. I can't tell when it is going to happen so I jump when it happens and I am afraid that it is going to cause me to have an accident.
    Why is this happening??
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    You might want to post this in the appropriate forum as I don't think many people with Toyota Matrixes with transmission problems will be able to help you with you GM Acadia Bluetooth issue.
    edited October 2013
    My Matrix (2006 /w 42K miles) has no squeaks or rattles; no repairs except to replace a clutch that appeared to be badly overheated by the previous owner.
    The jury is still out on the newer models. You have an 06 but someone just posted their 06 failed at 65,000. You also have about 45000 miles. Most of these transmission failures occur at 60-80k miles. I hope your transmission works forever like it should, but I won't be surprised if it fails. I assume you do all the proper maintenance so if it does fail you will know that is not the case.

As far as genes squeaks and rattles my exes 05 corolla had numerous rattles that started a few months after buying it new.
  • bridgetmarybridgetmary Member Posts: 1

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR 5-speed with 92,000 miles. I, too, have a transmission problem, and the tranny is being torn down tomorrow to see if it can be repaired rather than replaced. (A USED tranny costs $1,700!!!) I called Toyota and was told by a CSR that my car had a 60,000 mile warranty or five years, so I'm out of luck. I also had the clutch replaced at 60,000 miles. My three previous Toyotas (2 Corollas and a Camry) had much better track records. I suspect that Toyota reliability is slipping and I doubt I will buy another one.

• zs735zs735 Member Posts: 3

Having driving Toyotas now for 25 years - Corolla specificlly (manual trans); i can definitely say that Toyota has gone downhill from every aspect.
    Fortunately no transmission issues; i drove my last mt till 275k (no clutch replacement) ever either. The more recent ones, i found shifter tends to lock a bit; they had to get it to lube the links; clutch squeeks all the time despite having tried to fix it numerous times.
    i stood by toyota but next vehicle i am definitely moving to honda.