Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Safety & Crash Test Results

makabemakabe Member Posts: 50
As probably was expected, the Fit got 5 star ratings for the Front Driver and Passenger in the Frontal crash test. See the pix here and watch the video of the test here. The side test will follow soon.
Tagged:

Comments

• arlesarles Member Posts: 15
    I noticed on the the NHTSA site for the Fit, the side crash test results give the front seat with 5 stars, but the rear seat with 3 stars. (Aside from these ratings and the side crash video, no other information of the test is yet given.)

NHTSA site for Fit: http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3844.html
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The NHTSA side impact tests are outdated, because they score ONLY on torso injury. This leads to the counterintuitive result that a car with low torso injury marks, but FATAL head injury marks, will pass, while a car (like the Fit) showing some minor torso injury will get downrated to a 3 EVEN IF the head injury marks are excellent, meaning a passenger who walks away from the crash (clutching his or her ribs :P ) .

So I'd like to see what the head injury numbers from NHTSA for rear passenger side impact are (they report them, they just don't include them in calculating the overall score - although in the link you posted the complete results haven't been uploaded yet). Are the comparable to the Honda Accord which has standard side curtain airbags? THAT would be very revealing.

BTW, head injury numbers from NHTSA and IIHS are NOT comparable since IIHS deliberately uses a "small bodied" crash dummy to test protection on a small bodied female or child - another "handicap" which skews IIHS tests downwards. The small bodied dummy tests, essentially, how "low" the side curtain airbag drops (not a very useful airbag is you slide under it!).

(Generally the reason why the front seat on four door cars test well is because the driver and front seat passenger are "framed" by the doorway, which is strong, while the rear seat passengers have only the trunk behind them, not a solid frame all the way around.)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The other reason the front passengers do better on side impact tests on cars like the Fit is because they benefit from the side airbags, while the rear passengers have only the curtain airbag.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Good point, Backy!
  • shopgirl5shopgirl5 Member Posts: 7
    I read somewhere that the tank is moved forward on the Honda Fit, under the front passenger or driver's seat. Does any one know if its the case, and if so, that sounds a bit frightening if you get hit at the seat.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The tank is under the front seats. I don't see that as a disadvantage, I see it as an advantage - lots more protection from rear-end collisions.
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    A car fire killed several people this weekend in Phoenix when they were plowed into from behind, and the gas tank at the rear exploded.

When the tank explodes, it won't much matter if it's under you or 18 inches behind you. But if you can keep it from taking damage by moving it to the center of the car, you might gain an advantage.
  • chevy02chevy02 Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody have any idea when the IIHS is going to test the FIT? I know they don't prerelease that information. I also noticed in the past they haven't tested the Echo, Aveo and other small compacts. Are they even going to bother with the new line up of Yaris, Versa, Aveo and Fit? Do they have to test all the 06s fist before they get to the 07s even though the 06s are available?
  • priuscrusherpriuscrusher Member Posts: 8
    Ever notice they do side impact crash testing by using a 3015 lb barrier traveling at 31 mph ( safercar.gov ) ? This is supposed to represent getting hit by a pick-up truck. Hahahahaha.
    Have fun,
    Andrew
    The IIHS uses a bigger/taller and heavier barrier--to better simulate a pickup or SUV. Or the better to crush a Prius with I guess. :P
    IIHS.org in the protocol section states they use a 1500 kg barrier ( is that 3300 lbs? ) at about same speed. Therefore, their test technically uses a heavier barrier but by a minimal amount and still at a no-confidence inspiring low speed.
    With my kid in the back of my vehicle i'll take my side impact 5 star rated suv over a tiny fuel efficient car that gets 5 stars in the same test.
    THx for the response,
    Andrew
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    With my kid in the back of my vehicle i'll take my side impact 5 star rated suv over a tiny fuel efficient car that gets 5 stars in the same test.

Unlike the front impact test, the IIHS's side impact test is comparable across all vehicle types.
    That being said, there aren't too many small cars which score well.
    I'd like to clarify b/c while the side impact is comparable across all vehicle types, the test puts the vehicles through a generously easy test. A small car might score even 5 stars, but picture a Toyota 4 runner hitting a Toyota Prius in the side at 55 mph.
    Thx, Andrew
    I wouldn't like to be in a 4Runner that is hit broadside at 55 mph by another 4Runner!

I think one reason the NHTSA and IIHS do the side tests at the speed they do is because a direct side impact at freeway speeds is highly unlikely. Head-ons and sideswipes at that speed are more likely. On a side collision, you would normally need to be at an intersection. Those kinds of accidents are avoidable with dilligence (look before crossing the intersection), but of course they can happen when both drivers are careless.

If we wanted the best protection possible, I guess we could all drive armored Humvees, but that would be impractical. One advantage a small, great-handling car like the Fit has over a much larger vehicle like an SUV is that it can avoid accidents better. So balancing both active safety and passive safety, small cars with good crash protection have their advantages.
    Yours is a well thought out response. I might add that only Onstar equipped vehicles cover all 3 aspects of safety. 1.small cars do great at avoidance,
    2.large cars do great in a collision,
    3.Onstar provides post accident features lacking in other cars.
    My next car will be equipped with Onstar but I have to pay off my current suv first haha.
    Andrew
    They're he-eeeere! And the Fit did quite well for its class: G/G/P, bested in the mini-car class only by the Yaris sedan (with optional SABs, at G/G/M). So you can say the Fit is the top-performing hatchback in its class. The Versa scored G/G/G but is in the next weight class up from the Fit, so the frontal results shouldn't be directly compared.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr121906.html
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    From the IIHS Website on rear impact tests:

"For each seat/head restraint, rear-end crash protection is an assessment of occupant protection against neck injury in rear impacts at low to moderate speeds. Although such injuries usually aren't serious, they occur frequently."

So I think they're looking at the movement of adult heads back there in low speed impacts about 20mph. So kids in carseats should be okay back there.
    How about the adults, including in front? It would be good if the Fit had active front head restraints, as does the Civic. It got a Good on IIHS rear impact.
  • jsuessjsuess Member Posts: 8
    The December 25th Automotive News has an article titled: "Smaller cars=bigger crash risk". The last paragraph states: "The Fit scores came after Honda agreed to revise front-impact airbag design and to recall cars built before the institute tests."
    Newes release from the IIHS is dated December 19, 2006.
  • rodstickmanrodstickman Member Posts: 6
    I have been calling Honda every day since Dec 19th regarding this recall and I have been getting the total run-a-round. If your fit was manufactured before November than your airbag may deploy too soon - leaving you at risk for head injury.

Honda has known about this problem for several months and has not yet released it to their dealers for repair -

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr121906.html

I have contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (888) 327-4236 and filed a formal complaint. They are fully aware of this issue.

Everyone who owns a fit should call to complain. Your life is at stake!

You should also contact your local press about this, and you should call Honda PR spokesman Sage Marie at 310-783-3163. Again, Your life is at stake!

:confuse:
  • rconkinrconkin Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased my Fit about 3 weeks ago. How can I tell when it was manufactured?
    It is probably written inside the drivers side door;

Hopefully yours was made after November!
  • abeaverabeaver Member Posts: 3
    I would bet it is older, since they are shipped from Japan. I bought mine 3 weeks ago also. I think i'll be calling my dealer in the morning!
  • rconkinrconkin Member Posts: 5
    I looked on the drivers door and looks like it was manufactured in September. I guess it takes a while to get them over here and to the dealer.
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Gang,

Here's a quote from our local service mgr about the recall:

talked to our rep from Honda, he said the update letters should be going out the end of this month or the first part of next month.

John Scurlock
    Service Director
    First Texas Honda

Regards,
    Bubba
    I've been calling Honda every day since Dec 19th. Today they would not confirm what your rep said.

Call 800-999-1009 - have your VIN handy and tell them to get off there duff and provide this safety repair to their customers.

Call the GM of your dealership and complain that you are driving an unsave car.

Luckily here in CA we have nice consumer protection laws--I hope your state does too!
    But now they finally admitted that an "update" to the software is required. When? My guess is that they are not doing anything until they are forced to do so by the NHTSA.
    The air bag fix came out of a test by the IIHS, not the NHTSA. Thus Honda is under no obligation to repair cars already on the road. Kudos to them for doing it, although they are taking their time. Nissan had a similar situation with the Versa--they made a design change based on IIHS crash test results. However, it appears Nissan is NOT retrofitting existing Versas.
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    Hi Guys,
    So its been a while since I've been on the Forum but this is some important news - why isn't this a bigger deal in the main threads?? Anyway, how do we know its just a software update? Is there any further word as to when this is going to be done? I'll be calling Honda America and my dealer this week and I'll post what I find out.
    -Matt
  • mattschechtermattschechter Member Posts: 58
    In the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety December crash testing of the Fit, the Institute found a life-threatening error with the driver's side airbag for all Fits manufactured before 11/06. Honda promised the IIHS that they would fix the problem, but 3 months later there's been no recall and no fix. The official report is here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=722

Our online community needs to take this matter seriously and ensure our future safety. Honda is clearly aware of the issue but when I called Honda America they didn't seem to understand the urgency of the situation. If you get in an accident, you could sustain serious head injury or die because of this malfunction.

Honda will only respond with urgency if their customers demand it. Please call Honda America at 1(800)999-1009 and have your VIN ready. Tell them that you're concerned about this issue and you demand that they fix it as soon as possible. Hopefully, with enough of a community response, Honda will fix this problem and save lives.
    The number for Honda is 800-999-1009 have your VIN handy

I continue to get the run-a-round from Honda. They will tell you that there is not a recall at this time. They will not give any other information.

On their site they claim to be 'concerned about safety' but from their behavior it seems like they are more concerned with hiding this flaw in their products from customers.

My question is -- how many people need to get hurt (or die) before Honda does something!
  • ziggy6ziggy6 Member Posts: 9
    I just received the official Safety Improvement Campaign: FIT SRS Control Unit today in the mail. This is in regard to the frontal impact crash testing conducted by the NHTSA. Basically, the letter states that Honda is conducting a safety improvement campaign that involves reprogramming of the supplemental restraint system (SRS)control unit and telling me to contact my Honda dealer to have this problem reprogrammed.
    Just thought I would share and see if anyone else received this notice. I plan on making an appointment next week. :sick:
  • fitfunfitfun Member Posts: 4
    I have not received mine yet. Maybe they are starting with the first ones sold. I bought mine in October. Hopefully it will come soon.
  • jkandelljkandell Member Posts: 116
    Supposedly the Fits built after Nov 6 have the new airbag programming. I wonder how we'd check that?
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I received the letter from Honda in today's mail. I'm gonna wait a little while before taking it in for the fix. Maybe that'll give the dealer some experience so that when they do mine it'll go a bit quicker.

~marc
  • jsuessjsuess Member Posts: 8
    I got my airbag notice last Friday regarding the Fit. Today I also noticed in USA Today that there is another problem potentially: odometer. The link follows and includes Fits to November 7 2006:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm
  • ziggy6ziggy6 Member Posts: 9
    I called my Honda dealer today and told them about the notice I had received in the mail regarding the airbag problem and reprogramming. They had not even gotten any notice from Honda about this problem and, upon checking with his service manager, the software to fix this problem has not even arrived yet. When my service contact tried looking up this problem on Honda's Website he found no notice of recall their either. I trust my dealership as they have done all work for me on all my Honda's for 15 years without any problems. He advised me to call back in about two weeks to see if the software was in for reprogramming. :confuse:
    Upon asking why they did not know and I did he stated that Honda had sent letters out to their customers first without notifying service departments as should have happened before sending letter to customers.
    By the way, I purchased my FIT in mid June 2006.
    Ziggy6
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    I got my airbag notice last Friday regarding the Fit. Today I also noticed in USA Today that there is another problem potentially: odometer. The link follows and includes Fits to November 7 2006:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm

Interesting article. I wonder if American made automobiles are more accurate as one person in the article was quoted as saying.
    I received notice from Honda regarding the odomoeter two weeks ago. The vehicles listed in the letter, which include 2007 fits manufactured before November, automatically receive a 15% extension on their warranties.
    I havent received any notice regarding my odometer. Mine was built in September. I did just receive my airbag recall notice today. It goes in to my Honda dealer to have the computer reprogrammed tomorrow morning.
    Took my Fit in to the dealer today, they reprogrammed the SRS computer, & it was ready to go in an hour.
  • fitchgrrlfitchgrrl Member Posts: 21
    Anybody know if Canadian Fits are affected?
    see almost any make and model go through a crash test here:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/safety-recalls/carcrashtest/crashtestvideo.htm
    bump
  • xristrettoxxristrettox Member Posts: 6
    Just a little over 24 hours after buying my brand new Sport 5m, I got rear-ended while parked. I was across the street, and a friend of mine told me that I was hit. I, of course, thought he was just kiddin'. Sadly, he was not.

The damage wasn't all that bad. A minivan hit the truck parked behind me, and that truck rolled up and tagged my bumper. My bumper cracked a little, and has the imprint of his license plate.

The frustrating thing about all this, is that I have been driving for 11 years, and nothing has happened to my 5 other vehicles. But one day after owning my first brand new car... something does happen. bummer.

So, anyone else got a sob story about their fit getting hit?

It's kinda like a support group. ;)
  • _nate_nate Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear about your Fit. Hope Honda/you insurance company takes care of you and the car. Can you keep us posted on how the repairs go?
    Sure thing. I googled his insurance company, and I couldn't find the number immediately as the first several links were dedicated to saying how awful said insurance company was! :surprise:

My frustration is that if the damage is over 1500 dollars to my vehicle, then I have to file a claim with the DMV... which involves standing in line, AWESOME!!!

I tried calling around to get a phone estimate, but no one would do it over the phone. I don't need a real estimate, just a ball-park to see if I need to file it.

I had plans on getting the windows tinted tomorrow, but I guess I'll have other plans now. Any good body shops in Portland? :mad:
  • _nate_nate Member Posts: 5
    How much is/was your window tinting going to be? I found a place in Maryland to do it for $220, but if I go to a local car show and pay for it there, I get it for 50% off.
    Hey, I don't want this thread to get jacked, so I'll reply over on the Accessories and Modifications thread.
  • smile100smile100 Member Posts: 20
    My wife just involved an accident. She was hit from rear at a stop-and-go highway traffic. Her Fit was pushed forward to raise her front pickup up to the Fit roof. The roof holds half of weight of the 4500-lb pickup well, so my wife can got out the car easily without any scratch.

I took pictures of the totalled Fit and showed my friends. Everyone was amazed this small car hold strong and my wife was o.k. We plan to buy another Fit after insurance company reimburses our loss. The Fit crash test rating is not an illusion. Fit is a safe car indeed.