Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Fleetwood Maintenance and Repair

Lost brake fluid from a leaking rear wheel cylinder. Repaired cylinder and filled brake fluid reservoir with one quart of fluid.I could not bleed the rear brakes. I did not try to bleed the front brakes. The car has no brakes at all. The brake lite and the abs brake lite are lit on the dash.A gm mechanic said the abs brake system must be replaced at a cost of $3600!!!! I understand that there is a Bosch pump in the unit and it sounds like it is running all the time and not developing any pressure. Could it be air in the system that is causing the problem?
The brakes worked fine before the brake cylinder leaked. Need help!!! The car isn't worth a $3600 repair job. mcournoyer@sc.rr.com

Comments

• I have a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 4.1. I bought 2 wiper motors and a switch with delay and they still do not work. If any one can help me out or knows where i can get an original wiper motor i would appreciate it.
  • Get a second opinion! Go to an aftermarket independent garage! Dealer mechanics are there to make money for themselves and the dealer! Get out of there fast! It doesn't cost $3600 to fix ANY brake problem! Trust me!
  • Been there done that! You have to go to a junk yard and try to get one from a car just like yours! New rebuilts don't match up! I went through heck trying to finally get one that worked!
  • I have a 1985 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham. It has a HT 4100 aluminum engine. When driving in town the ac works, but on long road trips, the coolant light eventually turns on. AC has to be turned off to avoid overheating, then extremely hot air starts to come out of all vents including the defrost vents. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, belts & hoses, & air conditioner compressor last year. The problems started after this. I recently replaced the heater control valve, but problem persisted. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,267
    high speed overheat indicates a circulation problem, so I would say your prime suspect is the radiator. These can be flow-tested by a radiator shop.

If that checks out, have the cooling system pressure tested for a head gasket leak, would be my advice.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• queenfeequeenfee Posts: 1
    My bf drives a clean 89 fleetwood but it's over heating. Water and coolant dry out fast.

HELP! :cry:
    Overheating can be caused by a whole lotta things. No guessing allowed. It has to be diagnosed step by step, from the obvious (is the cooling fan working? Is there a big leak somewhere?) to the somewhat less obvious (thermostat stuck? Air block in system? Clogged radiator?) to the less-less obvious (worn impellers in water pump? dragging brakes? underinflated tires?) to the most mysterious and dreadful (bad head gasket, cracked cylinder head).

Tests include pressurizing the cooling system to test for leaks and bad head gaskets, testing the coolant for combustion gases, having the radiator flow tested, testing the thermostat by removing it, and of course observing the operation of the cooling fan.

• 1rubyd1rubyd Posts: 2
    From what I was told from the Cadillac dealer, he said that he did a "pressure" test. He said that was the way they could find out were the leak is coming from. What do you think? :cry:
    I think they didn't continue the diagnostic. You don't just do one test and then stop and shrug your shoulders...GEEZ...some of these dealers....

• bracey52bracey52 Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Fleetwood(RWD). The interior lights stay on too long when i open the doors. When I close the doors the lights come back on. It takes about 15 minutes for the lights to go out. what can i do? Is there anyone out there that can help me?
  • ginamgginamg Posts: 2
    Purchased my one owner 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood last year (2005). Has 106,000 miles. Runs and handles great when it starts. Sometimes after trying, I'll give the keys to someone else and it will start right up. When I called for it to be towed, it started for the driver and the repair shop said it would "never not start". It started regularly for a while and now it is acting up again. I've gotten it to start after it balks and after I've got it running it hasn't stranded me anywhere. Sounds strong. Is there any test for this? Thoughts, anyone!!?? Thanks
  • I have a 1986 Fleetwood B.De Eleg.with the 307 OLDS eng.I can't find a serpentine belt system in the after-market or at the junkyard.Does anyone out there know of one?I would be very appreciative.
  • check the tentioner on the belt. we had this problem
  • ginamgginamg Posts: 2
    I live in VA and car inspections are required. Need to remove the hubcap to get my sticker. Is there a special place it calls home? Are they stocked at the cadillac dealers?

FYI - my starter problems have stopped. Turning the key all the way to the right smartly and tapping the gas is seems to be the solution I needed.
  • I just bought a 1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham and love it! It is still a head turner. I want to improve the looks but still keep it close to stock. Does anyone know where to find some chrome rims that were an option for this vehicle? :shades: Thanks!
  • I'm trying to restore my grandparents old caddy and I'm having problems finding some discontinued parts. I'm looking for driver and passenger side front doors and blue leather driver and passenger bucket seats. I also need to replace the soft top. Any help is greatly appreciated
    These cars can be purchased used very cheaply. I'd suggest just buying an entire car that has what you need on it, (perhaps one with a bad transmission and engine) swapping out your old parts for the donor car's better parts and then junking the donor car while it is still reasonably complete and rolling.

As for the vinyl roof, you'd have to go to an upholstery shop for that.

If you can't do this, then you need to hook up with a modern large wrecking yard that can put your parts list out on their network.

• guestguest Posts: 774
    I just recently discoverd a 1971 fleetwoodbrougham, it has been sitting in a barn for 15 years,It is in mint condition just needs to be washed and polished. I am not sure how the interior or front of the car look because I have'nt been able to get far enough in the garage.Now what I am trying to find is if the car is worth me investing my time and money if so how much should I pay fo this car.Is there any body out there who can tell me please u would be a big help thanks.
    Well if it were all shined up and looked good and smelled good and had no damage and was basically in the condition of a 4 or 5 year old car, and ran like a top, I'd say $3,500--$5,000 would what it is worth. The prospects for appreciating in value aren't great.

So if you can get it for less than that, you're okay. (and you should pay a lot less because 15 years is a LONG time for a car to sit---you could have problems with seals, hoses or who knows what?)

If you have to buy it non-running, don't give very much for it, because you are taking a risk with an old car that hasn't been run for so long.

You'll need to change oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steerin fluid, automatic transmission fluid, battery, get 4 new tires...etc etc....so you'll be in it at least $1,000 to get it on the road.

If your interest is to flip it for a profit, I don't think it's a money maker for you.

• I recently acquired this car and the interior lights just will not go off even if I start the car I am assuming the relay for the delay is bad however i am not sure where to even look for this. any suggestions would be awesome.

Sorry can't spell :shades:
    Could be the door switch that activates these lights. Not sure where that is on your car...either a push button arrangement in the door frame or sometimes it's in the door lock itself.

• I looked for the switch havent found it yet, Could that cause this problem without giving the door ajar warning?
    That's a good question...do you get the door ajar warning if the door is open?

OH---I think there is a timer type device on the interior lights! But god knows where it is, I don't....

• The door ajar warning goes off if I open the door and turns off if I close the door. I am going to call a dealership see if this problem has happened to other fleetwoods and if they have a sudguestion. :confuse: :blush:
    Ask them about the electrical component that times out the courtesy lights after you've closed the door.

• I just bought a 93 Fleetwood with the same problem, any info you could pass on would be great!
  • ME again... I was going to get raped at the dealership. so I was wondering if the time delay relay failed would it allow the interior lights to stay on if the engine was running?
    If I remember right, it works regardless of whether the engine is running or not. I think it works independently of the engine, doesn't it? I'm just not familiar enough with your particular car.

• I have determined that the delay works it is just really slow due to a door open signal. Now I have discovered that the door ajar and the interior lights are on separate switches. so Now I am currently testing each individual door to determine which switch went. the front doors have three, the handle, the door ajar, and the interior lights. So the hunt is on and i will continue until I find the offender. :shades: ">
  • kgoadkgoad Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have an 88 Fleetwood FWD and the drivers window regulator needs replaced. The plastic piece that rides on the window broke.
    I bought a new regulator guide at my local Caddy dealer and I succesfully removed the panel, etc... from the door BUT I cant figure out how to put the new guide in....
    Does anyone know how to tell me how to do this?
    Anyone have diagrams, etc...?

Help!!

Thanks for any help!!!!