Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Fleetwood Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• loksrloksr Member Posts: 1
    IMy grandson has a '91 Sedan DeVille that has an engine Knock and the climate control does not work. I changed the oil and the knock got louder. Any suggestions?
  • fleetwood96fleetwood96 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone, i was wondering if anybody can help me with the problem im having on my 1996 cadillac fleetwood brougham. the fuse under the hood thats for the fuel pump keeps blowing out and its funny that it only burns out when i make a right turn. has any body experienced this before if so how did u repair it. thanks
  • 1mikediaz1mikediaz Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a beautiful 1993 Fleetwood Brougham. It has currently 173,000 miles and I've done the tune up on it (air and fuel filter,trans. fluidand filter, flushed radiator, plugs and wires plus solenoid and cap) plus changed the rear axle due to wear and something about a differential leak. With these things done now, up to how many miles can I expect my beautiful Cadillac to run to?

note:before the tune-up, car ran is if it didn't need a mechanic in the world!
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    Congrats - I've had mine for 6 years without a problem (except the power antenna I disconnected). Being a used car you never can tell how long it will last or what issues you may have - you'll discover any weaknesses during the 1st year. Keep in mind it is a rear wheel drive - so you need to grease the front wheel bearings whenever you replace the front breaks. Also, if it’s icy out I highly recommend being very careful and turn off the traction control via the button in the glove box. It does OK in snow, but my experience is that the traction control causes the power to shift to the wheel with traction - then when that wheel hit’s the ice the 5800 lb. car is out of balance and the backend slowly comes around and it‘s tough to correct it. Turning off the traction control helps a lot, but it is still a rear wheel drive.
  • panda6panda6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a replacement part for my beautiful like-new 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood rear wheel drive. I need the locking unit for the passenger-side glove compartment - mine got broken by a passenger and I now need to use unsightly tape to hold the glove compartment lid closed. The interior of the car is maroon color. Can anyone please help me find this part I need?
    Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
  • 1462calvin1462calvin Member Posts: 4
    do anyone know how to erase the( codes 48) 1991 fleetwood brougham it's the one were the code shows up in the climate control i've replace the 02 sensor i took the battery cable off code still comes up.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    48? That's a code for low AC refrigerant.
    thanx i was told it was the 02 sensor
    no, no such generic code. Besides, this 48 is displayed in your climate control.
  • mookie66mookie66 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 96 fltwd brghm with only 35000 mi. while driving the car it sometimes just dies out. It will restart after a few minutes or after being parked wont start again. Few days later it starts. Ive already replaced distrb and cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter. Ignition coil? and could someone tell me where that is located?
    See if any codes are stored in the computer. If not, it could mean it is a component that does not generate codes, such as a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel filter or fuel pump relay.
  • mookie66mookie66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 fleetwood brghm with less than 35000 and now im having problems with it starting, I was told it sounded like the ignition module. Can anyone tell me where it's located? So I can test it with a volt meter
    The Ignition Control Module (ICM) is located on the left front cylinder head directly above the ignition coil.
  • chris220chris220 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 fleetwood with under 50,000 miles that will intermittently not start. When it does it runs great no problems. When it doesn't the motor just keeps cranking. Replaced the fuel pump thought that would fix the problem still no help. Any ideas?
    1991 fleetwood brougam 5.7 unsure of mileage i've done a full tune-up, map sensor ,02 sensor, fuel filter, & replaced cracked air hoses the works and im still and im still getting only 3 days a tank $45 every 3 days is killing me what else could it be if anyone knows?
    Does it start better with a cold engine or a warm one?

Does it fail to start when it sits a long time but will start if it's only been off a few minutes?

Is there a time it will *always* start?

(trying to see a pattern here).

The problem with intermittent starting is, of course, that a mechanic has to witness the problem before he can fix it. It's hard to fix a perfectly good running car.
  • coupewoodcoupewood Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1991 fleetwood coupe in January with only 57,000. All original parts. ie. struts, plugs, wires, etc. I just had it tuned up, but still experiencing a vibration at idle while in drive.
    Also, can someone recommend a good aftermarket front strut. I don't care for the ride of Monroe's, can I purchase AC Delco or kyb at a reasonable price? I live in Chicago, IL.

Thanks for any advice.

91 Woody
  • mickezmickez Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 Fleetwood are running with a too rich mixture on the drivers side while the passenger side is working just fine. The problem starts when the engine goes into "closed loop". I have changed the first O2 sensor on this side (Bank 1, Sensor 1) with the same result. I have also exchanged all the fuel injector's from this side with the ones from the opposite side. Still the problem (a lot of black smoke) is at the drivers side! Anyone has a clue to my problem, or a suggestion what I can do? I know the engine itself is in a good condition since I replaced it and still the same result.
  • lesterhrenolesterhreno Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1993 cadillac fleetwood brougham, instruments/dash lights do not illuminate(fuel,speedometer and odometer) they are working just don't light -up. i have checked all the fuses and they show o.k.. anyone with any ideas or suggestions??? thanks
  • hailhopeshailhopes Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1993 fleetwood brougham with 72,000 original miles with one owner. I need to the a major tuneup before i roll so what r so of the high quality parts for better fuel and performance. Would like my caddy to be gliding when im rolling so i would just to know what i need to do and put into my ride. Oh yea looking to get some air shocks so anyone would know what i need to look for as well as what other suggestion u caddy men might have
  • lesterhrenolesterhreno Member Posts: 2
    1st thing i would do is change the oil an all the filters..always use a/c delco or napa replacement parts. have the tranny flushed and you should be good to go. with only 72,000 you are just getting broken. i have over 200.000 on mine and it runs like new..
  • teresab56teresab56 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - over 200,000 miles on it. I love the car and need some assistance, please.

The door locks keep clicking on and off. The passenger door won't open - when you try to open it from the inside, the door locks. I can't lock my doors, at this point. The clicking is constant, now. When I shut the car off, I have to unhook the battery cables, so it won't keep running (the clicking).

Please, help! Would that be a major expense in repairs, possibly?

Thank you for your time!
  • whitecaddywhitecaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have had this car for over 2 years and until now it has given me problems, it has 91000 miles and was running like new until I was driving back home and turned off and remained off. Looked like a perfect time to start investing some money on it so I replaced ignition coil and module, didn't solve the problem. Car now turns on then dies out when the air pump fuse blows out, new problem! Any ideas?
    I had the same symptoms that I couldn't figure out until one evening I noticed my brake lights were on very dim (no one in car). I found the brake relay, located just above the brake pedal arm, had some corrosion. I ordered a new one but while waiting for it to come in I took the old one apart and easily cleaned the points. The old one is still in the car (5 years later). So, my guess is that you have a slight short somewhere - switch, light, window motor, etc. You might start by pulling the battery ground cable off and charging up the new battery. Then measuring the current flow (amps) with everything off (meter is between the disconnected ground cable and battery). Then pull fuses one at a time until the battery drain/amps go down.
    The cadi is 20 years old now - 170,000 miles and still no issues.
    Due to retirement, I do not drive it much anymore. Any ideas on how I can best maintain this car in good running order when driving less than 3,000 miles a year? All fluids are new, radiator/shocks/ignition all fairly new, oil is synthetic, tires great and I try to take it for a run every other week. I just don't want this nice car to deteriorate due to me neglecting something.
    What else can I do? Ideas welcome.
  • kendall5kendall5 Member Posts: 2
  • kendall5kendall5 Member Posts: 2
    Now they will not come on. Was told that happens for that year car. Told the board is shoot. If true is it worth getting fixed. was told to buy gps for car so I could see speed and distance though that since I have no gas gauge or speedometer or odometer?