Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Hyundai Azera Owners Experiences

18910111214»

Comments

• jeff072jeff072 Member Posts: 5
    Ok it was an interesting experience getting the dealer to take a closer look at my car. First they required me to take a tech with me for a ride so he could witness the headlights dim. Thankfully they dimmed twice within about a quarter mile of the dealer. I told the dealer about this site and how some of you had told me about a TSB. They said there isn't a TSB about my problem but they would find out what was going on with my car. Today they called me back and said "We think we found the problem." They said there is in fact a TSB but it only came out about two weeks ago (a lie for sure) but they don't have the wiring harness needed to make the repair (I am sure that is true). So needless to say they ordered it and I am unsure when I will get my car back. On the up side they gave me a complete piece of junk Chevy Cobalt to drive in the mean time. I guess I shouldn't complain at least its headlights don't flicker.

I am not happy but at least something is getting done and I am especially appreciative of your help donna388 and almett33. Thanks again.

Jeff072
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    :)

You may recall . .
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=8472
    Go on this URL and read what they are doing. That TSB tells the tech exactly what to do.
    Shouldn't take too long to get the replacement cable to the dealership unless
    you are located really far from the part warehouse distribution point? :confuse:

Always be sure to print out any TSB available that you know about.
    The clowns cannot argue with you, can they? ;)
    I said that the service writer would not have seen it let alone be familiar with it.

The date on that TSB is indeed June 2008, and if memory serves, there is an earlier TSB
    also as this problem as it has been known by Corp since the earliest 2006 models.

I'm glad you're getting results and as I said, your problems will be a thing of the past!

:D
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    So needless to say they ordered it and I am unsure when I will get my car back. On the up side they gave me a complete piece of junk Chevy Cobalt to drive in the mean time. I guess I shouldn't complain at least its headlights don't flicker.

Gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling about not only the car, but especially the dealer, who by now must be looking forward to you purchasing your $40k Genesis in the not too distant future.
  • jeff072jeff072 Member Posts: 5
    They did the proper TSB work and on the way home the lights didn't flicker. Then the next time I drove it at night they started flickering again. I am going to call the dealer on Monday and make an appointment to take it back in again. Gotta love it.

I drove the car over a 1000 miles during Christmas week. Gratefully it was almost exculsively daytime driving. I really enjoyed it. Now if I can just get the headlights to work I might enjoy driving it at night too.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Hey Jeff072...have you replaced the battery??? Please don't say yes, with another Hyundai battery. That could also be another problem. I went to Walmart and bought a new battery for my Azera when I was experiencing the lights dimming when coming to a stop (not while driving) and ever since having the new battery in...the lights only dim when I play my music really loud (after market sound system). I think I paid about $75 for the new battery.

Good luck!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Mike
  • jfr710jfr710 Member Posts: 1
    I too bought a 2007 Azera Limited in Nov 2007 and just discovered a crack on the passenger side dashboard. The crack is about 4 to 5 inches long and deep. Looks like it was cut with something very sharp. I just called my dealer to have it looked at so will keep you posted.
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    Pretty common problem. Most dealers have replaced a lot of the pads. They say the company that made them stamped the air bag part too deep. Just had mine replaced, hope they corrected the problem.
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Miles Driven 16,943
    Gas 679.09 gallons at avge cost of $3,053/gallon
    MPG 24.95

Cost per mile for all expenses, excluding depreciation 17.8 cents
    No problems, no unscheduled maintenance
    We're happy!!
  • huetsonhuetson Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 Azera also had cracking starting to appear on passenger side dash. The dealer replaced it, and mentioned they had seen a couple of other ones.
    My 2006 Azera would not start. The starter turned over fine and battery is not the issue. Someone told me there is a situation whereby the security / locking system gets into a mode that disables starting.
    Does anyone have specifics? How to remedy?

thanks
  • richliebrichlieb Member Posts: 6
    The WeatherTech mats are the reason I had the uncontrolled acceleration problem on my 2007 Azera... Great Mats , but unless they changed the design, they can't be anchored to the floor... they move when you get in or out and can cause the peddle to get stuck.. Peddle goes down and can't return... I called WeatherTech and they could not care less... I was very disappointed that a company that makes such great products never got back to me after an e-mail.. I still have the Mat's in my Trunk !! 2 winters since my problems and guess what.. no uncontrolled acceleration anymore.. I will sell to anyone who gives me $5 bucks and pays shipping !!
    As far as my Azera... 69K and NO Issues for 3 yrs.. Never has been back to the shop... Ohter then the need for a stiffer suspension.. One of the best cars I have ever owned... But be careful of the WeatherTech Mat's unless they now have a place to attach to the floor hook..
    Rich
    The WeatherTech mats are the reason I had the uncontrolled acceleration problem on my 2007 Azera... Great Mats , but unless they changed the design, they can't be anchored to the floor... they move when you get in or out and can cause the peddle to get stuck.. Peddle goes down and can't return... I called WeatherTech and they could not care less... I was very disappointed that a company that makes such great products never got back to me after an e-mail.. I still have the Mat's in my Trunk !! 2 winters since my problems and guess what.. no uncontrolled acceleration anymore.. I will sell to anyone who gives me $5 bucks and pays shipping !!
    As far as my Azera... 69K and NO Issues for 3 yrs.. Never has been back to the shop... Ohter then the need for a stiffer suspension.. One of the best cars I have ever owned... But be careful of the WeatherTech Mat's unless they now have a place to attach to the floor hook..
    Rich
    Rich
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    One circumstance (security system has an open sensor switch, usually in the engine compartment) will drain the battery overnight, evidently not your problem.

Another item is if something triggers rhe "limp home" mode, which prevents your driving over 50 mph until you get to a dealership to reset the system (if you haven't previously asked for the programming that allows you to reset it), also evidently not your problem, as stated, so I don't think the security system is involved here. Sounds like ignition or fuel supply...
    You maybe could just punch a hole through the rear of the mat (maybe fit a small brass grommet to keep the hole from enlarging) and run a thin piece of stainless steel cable through the hole and loop it under/around the OEM floor snap for the OEM mats, crimping the wire into a loop...
  • rgb42rgb42 Member Posts: 40
    >Another item is if something triggers rhe "limp home" mode, which prevents your driving >over 50 mph until you get to a dealership

When my 2008 went into 'limp home' mode, I could barely do 5mph, let alone 50mph.
    Oh?! That sounds like the lesser-known "crawl hand over hand through quicksand" mode... ;)
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hi: We had the same problem and what we did was to turn off the engine and waited about ten to fifteen minutes and it was fine. When we called the dealership they said it would be fine to drive to their service department. It took less than an hour and we were back on the road. Good luck with your problem and any competent Hyundai dealership can correct the ECM problem easily.
    I have had it occur three times. Each time I simply lock the car, then unlock it, and it starts right up
  • gob64gob64 Member Posts: 2
    While I've not had an accelerator problem I too have noted that Weathertech's product doesn't match the claims of its copious ads, specifically for holes to engage factory-equipped floor hooks. I've just had an e-mail exchange with Weathertech and it would seem they're unconcerned--even about fulfilling their advertising.

And insofar as mats being designed for your vehicle: mine don't fit that well, despite using their make/model-specific selector. What's the point of that except to give the mistaken impression that you'll have good coverage.

You might as well buy mats that are just as effective at Target, Walmart or Costco--and they'll be FAR FAR more economical.
  • specialknycspecialknyc Member Posts: 15
    So I brought my car in for a suspension issue (replaced a strut mount I believe) and some of the clunking is gone but the squeaking is not. When I pick the car up I always inspect it (you never know) and I noticed a crack/split in the dashboard on the passenger side just above the left side of the glove compartment (on the top flat part of the dash). I tell my service person about this and they involve the manager who (without even looking at the car tells me it is not covered). I ask again and he looks at the car and informs me it is not covered. I then contacted Hyundai consumer affairs and they tell me it is not covered. So I took pictures and sent them along with other pictures I have seen on the internet in the exact same location. So now I am waiting for the regional service manager (or whatever he/she is called) to give the final say on if it is covered or not. I am at a loss of what I should do... it does look like a slice (which I know was not caused by me or anyone in the vehicle) and it should be covered by warranty. I threatened to go to the BBB if this is not resolved but I am unsure if I should just go to the BBB without waiting for the regional manager. This is apparently a known issue and I am quickly approaching the 60K mark (as a second owner) so I want to have this dealt with fast. I also want the *bounciness* of the car to be dealt with but so far no luck (it feels like I can lose control of the car if I hit a few potholes just right).

I will keep the board posted as to how this proceeds ...

Anyways if anyone has any input or advice it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    We had the same problem with the dash cover splitting at the air bag area on the passenger side. It was repaired with out any questions at our dealership in Penticton, B.C. (CANADA)
    If you check other posts you will see that the dash cover problem is not uncommon and Hyundai have issued a replacement for any one that asks for it. I feel your dealership is trying to avoid the issue and dont understand why as it is warranty.
    Regarding the soft suspension feeling we also had the same problem and had all four shocks replaced under warranty at 8500 miles and the car is like new. A bit of information here is that they only last for about 7 to 10 miles and are gone again. The car is too heavy for the shocks they used and you can check other posts as to what the owners of these cars have done to prevent the problem from happening again. .
    Good luck with your dealership.
    Well Hyundai lost a repeat customer today ...

Long story short they refuse to cover my dashboard under its warranty. I am thinking of doing two things right now:
    1. filing claim with BBB.
    2. trying another dealership about 50 miles away from me.

Their regional parts and service rep denied the claim (without ever seeing the car - they *allegedly* saw pictures that the service manager took. The service manager denied it, the regional person denied it, and hyundai consumer affairs denied it.
    I have nothing to do with the split in my dashboard. Any input on what I should do now?
  • garym1jgarym1j Member Posts: 46
    I had a crack on my 2007 Azera LTD dash also. Dealer in Brandon, FL replaced it without question. The car was about 2.5 years old at the time. The car had always been garaged.

I think you have a dealership that doesn't understand what the warranty covers and what it does not.i.e., what part of "bumper to bumper" is being misunderstood? Take it to another dealer. Don't deal with them again.
  • humphump Member Posts: 5
    Me too & they replace it without any question. Use the words that this is a "latent" defect (which it is). That should get their attention. Good Luck--don't give up.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2010
    That is ridiculous. Hyundai SHOULD cover it! My 07 had a crack on the dash & it was replaced without question. I know others who have had their cracked dashboards also replaced without question. Early Azeras have a defective dashboard & Hyundai knows it.

Go to a different dealer & let us know how it goes. Also, file a complaint on NHTSA's website. If there are enough complaints, NHTSA might force Hyundai to issue a recall. Can't believe Hyundai not issuing a TSB on these.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If nothing else works, go to a small claims court. These big auto companies need to be taught a lesson.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    You sure have a sorry dealer. Mine has a upper dash cover kept in their parts department just for the problem you have. :confuse: :mad:
    Definitely a bad dealer problem, it's covered under warranty with a TSB to that effect. Some dealers aren't happy doing warranty work as they feel they don't get properly reimbursed for it. That's not a dealer you want servicing your ride...
  • newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    I too have an '07 with all of the problems you describe. The split in the dash almost looks as if had been precut to add a speaker. There is no way this in "normal" and yet another problem Hyundai either can't or is unwilling to fix. I can live with the crack, but the suspension noise is driving me crazier than I already am.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    What is the TSB number that you referred to in your reply. I am having a hard time trying to find it listed anywhere. Thanks.
    If your dealer has any respect for a customer they will replace the dash board cover. We had ours done at 80000 miles without a hesitation. Just check the steering wheel when you get the car back as they have to tilt the wheel down and if not it will scratch the wood or leather part when they remove the cover.
    I want to try and take this to another dealer, has anyone with the problem had any luck with any NYC dealerships? Also I am wondering since Hyundai themselves denied coverage will that be a problem if I find a dealer to actually cover it?

I still have not put a complaint in with the BBB, I really wonder will that accomplish anything other than waste my time.
    Well. Evidently there isn't one. I don't have a copy on my computer file and I've looked through the current Hyundai ones and it's not there, so no TSB. :blush:

But there have been so many reports of this problem on the blogs, with dealers replacing the dash tops, it should be known to all dealers, so if one dealer gives you scat about it, try another dealer...
  • humphump Member Posts: 5
    This is a well known problem with Azera's. Tell them it's a GENERIC problem with Azera's. Maybe that will get their attention. My neigbor and I both had the dash boards replaced due to "cracking". The way I understand it that during the dash board manufacturing process they cut it to deep and prone to CRACKING. Good luck.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    In August of 2010, a loud noise at 70 MPH that sounded like something was being dragged beneath my 2007 Azera. A plastic cover about 5 feet long became partially unattached on the passenger side and was dragging on pavement. Then in April 2011, repeat performance with cover on left side. Forget the fearful sound, replacement cost under $50 by dealer. :( :surprise:
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    edited May 2011
    The one on the driver's side came off after I hit a puddle doing about 50 mph. It came off and I haven't worried about replacing it either. The one on the passenger side...still going strong. considering it's plastic, I don't expect them to last forever, especially when you think about the violent environment the underside of the car can be at highway speeds.
    I scraped under the front going into a steep driveway so I took the car in for a quick inspection of all the underside panels and was told all were tight...
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    Mine did same thing. They removed it.
    Hi: I noticed after washing my car that the driver's side headlight had moisture inside the lens. I did not notice this before even after high pressure car washes. The passenger side is fine. anyone else have this problem.