Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 450h Audio/Entertainment Questions

gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
edited March 2014 in Lexus
I think a more serious limitation is no factory XM or Sirius. After having it in my GMC I would not buy a car that did not have it installed. I know several RX400h owners complained of not being able to get XM that integrated seamlessly with the other audio components. Honda offers XM standard in the Accord EX.

Comments

• brianlbaileybrianlbailey Member Posts: 22
    Are any of you new GS 450h owners going to do the DVD over-ride (so DVDs can play while you drive)?
  • gs450hgs450h Member Posts: 49
    I was at my dealer today and asked him about the status of Sirius for the GS 450h. He said Lexus was not satisfied with some issues with Sirius in the GS cars and they hope to have this situation resolved by June. He also showed me a demo GS 430 where they had installed an adapter to allow the use of an iPod. This is a device produced by Vais(www.vaistech.com). It "disables" the controls on the iPod and allows all functions to be control on the main unit and the steering wheel. The main unit display "thinks" the iPod is a CD and it displays the playlists and song titles. It seemed to work very well, but due to Apple iPod compression, the sound quality, although very good, is not as good as on a CD directly. Is is also possible to use the iPod with a cassette adapter. When doing so, you must use the iPod controls for everything. The sound quality is certainly much better than with an FM modulator.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    Has anyone found a car audio shop able to bypass the in motion DVD block? I haven't ever used these kinds of places -- should I be concerned about having them alter the electronics? My 3 children would be far better passengers if I could have it working.

In a related issue, I do find it annoying that I can't dial a phone number while the car's in motion -- it only allows me to use the speed buttons. I figure Lexus designed it this way to avoid liability. The voice dialing is tedious and error prone.
  • brianlbaileybrianlbailey Member Posts: 22
    Do you recall where the Sirius antenna was mounted? Can you confirm AUX port in the center storage?
    Thanks.
  • trungustrungus Member Posts: 4
    The Sirius antenna is placed inconspicuously on the inside front windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror, thus nothing is visible outside of the vehicle, and the rearview mirror partially hides it from the vantage point of the driver. I cannot confirm the presence of an AUX port in the center storage.
    No comm port of any sort in the center storage. Only a power outlet.
  • zeroohmzeroohm Member Posts: 7
    I love this car but can I play my favorite tunes saved on my MP3 player? Does anyone know if there is an AUX port? I saw a posting that there is none in the center console but does that mean there is none anywhere?
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Member Posts: 5
    There's a tape deck so worst case scenario, you can use a tape adapter.
    Yes but that is a horrible way to use a high end sound system. The quality will be subpar. An AUX input is the only way to go. I am so addicted to my player that I think I would even avoid buying this car if it does not have it. I am a few months away from making that decision anyway...
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    Check this site:
    http://www.vaistech.com/home.html
    Dealers install these. Control from ipod.
    I just got my GS450h and the (premium) sound system is spectacular. Even better than on the RX400h, which had an excellent premium system,
    that I traded in. And the quietness of the car greatly enhances listening.
    This looks like a good solution -- I'm checking with my dealer regarding installation.
    Another route to go is burning your MP3's (or WMA's) onto a DVD, which the disc player will handle. That's going to support an awful lot of music. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure whether the song and artist info is displayed, nor how the navigation works, but it seems like a reasonable workaround.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    I got the information from my dealer. Probably every Lexus dealer knows about it.
    Maybe this will get too technical but is the dealer installed AUX input a direct analog input or do they use an FM modulator? If you have to switch your radio to an FM station (like 87.9) to listen then it is an FM modulator. The sound quality of those are OK but not nearly as good as a direct connection.
    I cannot burn the tracks onto a CD because I use a subscription music service and the tracks can only be played on the player. That means I get to choose from millions of artists for $15 per month. But since I only rent, I cannot burn.
    Let me know if your iPod is played through the FM radio or if there is a separate AUX button to listen.
    BTW - I just checked the web site posted by idele (http://www.vaistech.com/home.html)and if that is the solution they use all is good in my world. It looks like a true direct AUX connection (not a modulator). That is very cool. Now there is no reason not to buy this car!
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I love how we make a decision on a $60,000 car based on whether our $200 audio device will work with it!! LOL

Believe me, I am also laughing at myself, not at you.

At least this car has an apparent solution. Imagine if you were in love with a Volvo!! Yikes, do those folks have iPod issues.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    I have XM fully integrated into my 450h. There are three SAT categories of six presets for a total of 18 presets for your favorite XM stations. Works great. I have more music available than I can ever listen too with the CD/DVD changer for supplement to the XM.

The satellite radio is a dealer installed option but the car comes with the wiring in place so it is a pretty quick install at the dealer and as I say is fully integrated into the NAV screen and ML audio system. I have had XM for two years and also would not go without it so I am a happy camper with the 450h/XM combo.
    alp8, you are right. It seems ridiculous to let a $200 toy govern the purchase of a $60k car. That is unless you are as addicted to that $200 toy as I am. I guess maybe you are...
    I have never tried satellite radio because Rhapsody got me first. My MP3 keeps on playing even in tunnels and parking garages. But keeping the player up to date is more work.
    Anyway, this forum is really about a car, not music. And now I want this car more than ever!
    Does anyone think we will ever be able to pay less than sticker price??? I hate paying sticker price.
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Member Posts: 5
    Yea Rhapsody subscription is great. I have it on my cell phone. I only wish I could control the music player through the steering wheel or Nav screen. That's the holy grail of connectivity...
    There is a very good aftermarket interface for about $300 that lets you connect your Ipod and control everything on the screen and steering whell. Lexus of Rockville in Maryland is installing these for customers
  • trungustrungus Member Posts: 4
    If this is the SoundLinQ system that you are talking about, then it is a very good system because my brother-in-law put it into his RXh and it sounds great with the text iPod appearing on the LCD screen. Of course with the GSh, the text will show up on the nav screen.

BTW, 340hp is a more rounded number, anyways!!!
  • rujuchavcarujuchavca Member Posts: 1
    I tried burning onto DVD, couldn't get it to read. No problem with burning MP3's onto CD. Owner's manual does not list DVD as acceptable medium for MP3's. Anyone with other experience (i.e., successful with MP3's on DVD?)
    Anyone with info regarding how to unlock the DVD player so that it can be viewed while the car is in motion (for my children, not me while driving! :) ? I'm interested if it's a relatively simple modification.
    I had my dealer install the VAIS unit last week in my GS 450h and it works great. :D
  • gelam007gelam007 Member Posts: 7
    Someone was asking about satellite radio. I went to the daeler yesterday to see about it. I was told that only XM was available for the model at thgis time. They mount the atenna inside the back windshield neat the stop light mount. The antenna is also much smaller now. About the size of a silver dollar.
  • anilpunjabianilpunjabi Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2001 lexus gs430 and a 2007 gs450h, i recently installed the Vais piece in my 2001 gs. The sound quality is 10x better than the tape. The tape adpater is such a disgrace to music. I want to put the vais in my moms 2007 gs however no Lexus Dealer around the Philadelphia Area will install it. I do not want to lose my warranty on this car, so I will try calling up other dealers for it. My mom saw it in my gs(which i got installed at circuit city for 80 bux), and is now very adamant about getting it installed on hers. I have the ipod connector in the glovebox and the aux wire coming out under the cig lighter, so i can place my mp3 player in the cupholder. Only thing that bugs me is my mp3 player is 2 yrs old and takes time to startup, and I dont want to change players. Its a 40 gig player and holds about 6000 songs. Try beating that. I actually tested the stereo seperation on this one song that starts off playing on the left then on the right and then together. It was amazing. I own a pair of Shure E2c's which are high end earbuds and it sounds similar to that but with more bass. Kudos to Vais.
    I received my car back in May and paid for Sirius, which I was told would be available "in the summer". I just heard from my salesman that it's been delayed because of quality problems with receiver vendor. New delivery sometime in September.
    I just posted in the audio/upgrades area that I was sold Sirius when I bought the car in May, and was told it would be available in the summer. Latest word is Lexus is having quality problems with the vendor of the receiver, and now won't have the product available until sometime in September. It's apparently still coming, but maybe they're not selling it to anyone new at the time.
  • celica1977celica1977 Member Posts: 6
    2007 BLK /BLK - Mark Lev. Sound. full voice nav.. well..let me rephase that.. voice nav... HAH! I have seen it posted where you should not base a decision on a $200 iPOd well I will tell you that I EXPECT and Nav and Sound System you can USE while driving in a $65K car

It has a Useless Voice input, poor help (no list of what to say on screen, manual does not even list everything?? I have seen it displayed but not listed..beleive me I have looked, lock out of features on most items, song list of CD's (Only can play MP3 CD's (255 song limit) NO DVD MP3 even though it is a DVD changer.) Radio list remains at speed (why is this so different than a CD list I have no idea.)

If there was a feature that is not worth the money it is glass dash with Nav. You can buy a NUVI for $400 that you can use when you need it. My Sister has a 2007 Acura MDX and they have it right when it comes to the Glass Dash. You can use the features as expected. Lexus (Toyota) has take conservative to a new level. I am VERY dissapointed with the usablity of the cabin features. I hope there is a software update coming soon or I will be an unhappy customer in the long run. I hope they take some lesson from Acura on this.

As long as you just want to drive the car and know where you are going and know what you want to listen to on the 300W $2000 sound system before you start driving then this car is perfect for you. Until that software update arrives. The cabin usablity now matches the trunk.. short changed...

LC - Boca Raton
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I agree with you for the most part. "Upgrading" from 2004 Acura TL to 2007 GS 450h feels like serious donwgrading in the area of Navigation system, voice recognition and Bluetooth connectivity.

1. Can't use navigation touch screen while driving.

2. Navigation interface is unnecessarily complex and busy.

3. Voice recognition accuracy is terrible.

4. Voice recognition interface (the sequence of commands and the amount of time you have to wait between the commands) is ludicrous! It takes me four-five times as long to dial a number by voice as it did in the TL. And the number recognition rate dropped from 99% to about 40%.

5. Telephone touch-screen interface is disabled while driving.

I am very disappointed!
    I also concur with these comments. I gave up on the voice recognition on the 2nd day of owning the car. Did it ever occur to Lexus that my wife might want to punch in an address on the nav system while I'm driving? Now we have to try to do it quickly before a red light changes (how many people are going to pull to the side of the road to enter an address?). When I posted about this issue back in the spring, others told me that all of the manufacturers are configuring their systems this way. Thank the trial lawyers and ridiculous liability suits.

Interesting about the Acura praise coming out. I own a 2002 MDX and that 5 year old nav system is much better than the GS version (except for the fact that the search by name doesn't adhere to the chosen state). The GS450h is supposed to have a new generation system, but it's still hasn't caught up.
    What do you mean by "glass dash"? Never heard that term.
    BTW, same config, Silver/Black, 7,500 miles to date. You'll certainly get better fuel economy down in Boca than the ~22mpg I get in the NY area during winter season.
    Never mind... I didn't realize you were referring to the Nav screen.
  • argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    I fear I am losing my proverbial erection over this car. I went to the Chicago AutoShow yesterday and checked out the other Lexus sedans: the LS, IS , and ES all have an AUX input. I threw out my cassette tapes long ago, so that's sort of useless in the GS.

I'm guessing that the GS must be due for a dash overhaul. Maybe for '08? Anyone have any ideas about this?
  • celica1977celica1977 Member Posts: 6
    Dash over haul.. they need to stop having their attorney's design these features.. The dash has everything you could want while in park.. it is driving this is the problem. Everything is different...as in gone! I hate this car everytime I drive it.. 3500 miles and they are painful. Lexus has ignored my opinion and as a LIFETIME Toyota person (hence the Celica1977 user name) they are loosing me FAST. Can't wait to get rid of this car. Hybrid is cool but it cost you a lot. Go a get a car that lets you enjoy the experience.. this is just a shame.. Can you say Acura..
    I wonder if this would work on the Lexus:

http://coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm
    I know there's a bypass for the 06's (menu->volume->top left corner, bottom left, top left bottom left -> hold down override) that allows you to enter destinations while the car is in motion.

I've read elsewhere that this does not work in the '07s. Can

Can anyone confirm this is true and if there is a different code available for the 2007s? Thanks.

(I've tried searching for this, but can't find info specific to the 2007s...)
This discussion has been closed.