Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Smart Key

ddkavanaghddkavanagh Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in INFINITI
My wife and I swap driving on trips in our new M35. The smart keys are set up to set the seats for each of us. I'm 6'2" and she's 5'3". When we both are carrying our smart keys sometimes the seats will set up for her when I get in and I can't squeeze in to reset things. She has to get out and get away from the car. Anybodfy else have this problem? The dealer couldn't help. Any suggestions?

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    kind of defeats the purpose, but have you tried putting your fob in the port in the dash? That might override the conflicting signals. I'm not sure where the receiver/transmitter is, so if she plays with where she keeps her purse, that may make a difference as well.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    It must be funny when the seat sets up for you and she is going to drive...if she can reach the pedals or steering wheel :) We have the same problem.

I now glance at the seat and if it's wrong I just push button 1 and yell at my wife for getting in first or putting her pocketbook on the center console. One trick I've learned is to get in the car first. Once you're in, the seat won't reset if it sees another fob. I have also been known to "accidentally" set her memory button to my settings.
  • jiddojiddo Member Posts: 9
    I also had that problem with the smart key, I removed my wifes link to the smart key. Has anyone heard of the car thieves accessing the cars with this feature with a portable computer to gain access and just drive away. I heard a report that this was going on in Europe.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Does the seat and steering wheel automatically set itself back to the Memory position associated with the fob just by "seeing" the fob or do you need to push one of the buttons on the fob to have it set?

I know you can hold down the "1" button on the side if you have programmed it, just checking on the recognition deal by the fob...thanks!
  • beemermichaelbeemermichael Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if you use the remote feature to unlock the car rather than the proximity detector, that wouldn't take care of your problems, set the memory, etc.?

The thing is a great convenience, but it does act a little weird sometimes.

Michael
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    You have to specifically link each key to one memory position. (Sounds like you night have done that, but I'd double check that in the manual to be sure. Page 3-28) Once that's done, the the seats will move to their respective position, only when you use the button on the linked fob to open the door, (not when using the door handle button), as beemermichael suspected.

Pete
  • mwgmwg Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, Pete for the suggestion that we use the button on the linked fob in order to get the right position on the seat and mirrors. My wife and I share the car and I have been opening the car by pressing the handle. As a result the seats/mirrors adjust only half the time and I was going to note this at my next service call. Curious as to how you learned this as I haven't seen it in the manual.

EmGee
    Curious as to how you learned this as I haven't seen it in the manual.

On p 3-28 in the manual there's a section entitled:
    Linking Intelligent Key to a stored memory position

After explaining how to link the key to a specific memory position, the last paragraph in that section says:

[while the ignition is in a locked position] press the UNLOCK button on the Intelligent Key. The driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors will move to the memorized position.

It IS pretty easy to miss things in that manual.

Pete
  • altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    Thanks. I was wondering why my seat and steering wheel did not always position themselves too...using the button on the door methodology. That seems to be a bit of a omission since it defeats the purpose of keeping the fob in your pocket all the time.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    it defeats the purpose of keeping the fob in your pocket all the time

Gotta have it there to drive the car ... or am I missing your point? Bart :confuse:
    Gotta have it there to drive the car ... or am I missing your point? Bart

I think his point is that you need to take the key out of your pocket and hit a button on it to change seat memory positions. That need defeats some of the benefit of having a key that allows you to start the car WITHOUT being removed from the pocket.

It's a fair point. Not a biggie for me, but if you're constantly switching drivers, I can see how you'd prefer that they do it automatically (by sensing the proximity of the linked key) when you use the button on the door handle to unlock the door.

Pete
    Depends on how you look at it. IF you have the seat set so that it retracts and the steering wheel rises, then there's room to get in. Hitting the button while the door open isn't that big a deal. Also, if you are driving, but your wife hits her unlock button, the seat would go to her settings rather than yours, regardless of who opened the driver's door.

Since I'm normally the only driver, I don't worry about it, but it could be a pain...
    Also, if you are driving, but your wife hits her unlock button, the seat would go to her settings rather than yours, regardless of who opened the driver's door.

Your point is also a fair one, and was probably a factor in infiniti's design decision. In my personal opinion, however, there would be little loss of convenience for a couple to agree to always have the person who will be driving (and who's holding his own linked key) be the one who will unlock the door (using the button on the door handle). IMO that's preferable to having to pull your key out of your pocket. (I love the keyless go, since I've got so much stuff in my pockets -- extra phone batteries, lighters, on and on. It's a very big plus that I so rarely have to find my key in there.) I agree, though, that the trade off advantages ARE getting smaller here as this discussion continues.

Depends on how you look at it. IF you have the seat set so that it retracts and the steering wheel rises, then there's room to get in. Hitting the button while the door open isn't that big a deal.

I'm one of the M's absolutely biggest fans. I think they've made more great design decisions than any other car on the road. (IMO The dashboard control layout is tops by far, as is the nav & voice command, as are the radio preset controls, rear view monitor etc, etc)

The memory seat thing I feel does need some improvement, however. You can't activate the preset buttons, (1 and 2, located inside the door) before starting the car. They would definitely benefit from enabling those buttons even with the car in the fully off position. (At least as an option) They'd also benefit from moving those buttons so that they're more accessible, even when you're standing with the door open.

Another issue is that whenever you change a seat position and store it into one of the memory slots (1 or 2), your intelligent key needs to be relinked to that slot. That's a truly unnecessary inconvenience, with no redeeming trade off IMO.

Pete
    Pete, thanks. Fortunately for me my better half doesn't like driving my car so I am for practical purposes the only driver.

Bart
    Bart

You're welcome. I'm in your situation, in that my wife rarely drives my car also. So these issues don't effect my enjoyment at all.

I've been commenting based on the needs of some others, who do have that problem, and from the point of view as to what would work best in the general case.

I truly love my M.

Pete
  • altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    I think his point is that you need to take the key out of your pocket and hit a button on it to change seat memory positions. That need defeats some of the benefit of having a key that allows you to start the car WITHOUT being removed from the pocket.

That was my point, thank you. The driver should always be the one unlocking the doors anyway. However, I will get around the issue by having one of the presets set up for my position and use that if necessary. I never want to have to remove the key from my pocket.

All said and done though, I sure like how the various systems work (but purposely did not buy the top technology package).
    A buddy just flew in from NJ this week for vacation. He has an M35 ... loves it ... but he didn't get a wallet key, as I didn't. The only keys he got were the ones in the key fobs. Thoughts? Bart
    All I can think of is

1) Ask your Dealer, nicely but insistently
    2) Call Infiniti Consumer affairs 800-662-6200

Pete
    Thanks, Pete. I'm a procrastinator but will put it on my "ask" list when it goes in for the next oil change.

Bart
  • lexusmonkeylexusmonkey Member Posts: 25
    Is there a way to set the key/car to automatically lock all the doors when I leave the car? Wouldn't this make more sense then touching the handle or pushing the fob (which is supposed to stay in your pocket)?
    so when you get out of your car to pump gas, you want all the doors to lock your passenger/kids in?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Why not? What if you have to go inside the store for something? And it's not like they couldn't unlock the doors; unless it's a baby.
    You can't put gas in the car, is one reason...unless you then unlock it. What's the computer supposed to do then? Leave it unlocked, or relock it?
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    Is it really too much trouble to lock the car behind you? I suppose the way you envision this "improvement," the doors would lock when I move to the rear of the car to open the trunk. Clearly, the disadvantages (and dangers) already pointed out make this a bad idea. :lemon:
    I don't get it. Must be something weird with the M. Why wouldn't you be able to put gas in it? You'd have to open the door again anyway, so it's not like you'd be adding any steps. On a similar vein, with Hondas, if you don't open a door within 30 seconds or so of unlocking them, they will automatically relock.
    If it automatically locked when you left the car, guess what, the gas filler door locks too. So, now you unlock the car...you aren't in it, when does it lock again? If you aren't careful, you hit the button to lock it, or unlock it, and it is already in the intended condition...creating more confusion.

Some people want the car to lock the doors when you start the car, I don't like that either, and while for some it is a major deficiency, I think it is the way it should be. If I was going to change something, I'd give it a 6th gear, or a higher top gear to cut the revs down and improve the fuel efficiency on cruise..
    Wow! Not busting your chops, but it sure seems like you're being super petty over something so simple. So what if it locks the fuel door? Besides, shouldn't you have the fuel door open already? I believe what people are suggesting is that the doors automatically lock once you're outside a certain distance from the car, not as soon as you get out of the car. I think that might be what you're thinking; at least I hope that's what you're thinking, otherwise, yeah, you're being muy, mucho petty.
    I think the guy who complained because the car didn't autolock just doesn't understand the potential problems. As to the gas door, it has a deadbolt latch - you have to open it manually, so no, you can't "unlock" it first - there is no lever, cable mechanisim to pop it open prior to leaving the car. I can think of other scenarios...you unlock the car so people can start to load it up...you walk away, the car is locked. The kids are annoyed they can't get in. You are annoyed when you come back and they didn't load the car. The sensor requires you to be within about 3' of the door to work...I'm guessing you can't get to the filler door without exceeding that distance. Once locked, it requires a manual action to unlock, otherwise, you might be unlocking the car as you walked around it.
  • lexusmonkeylexusmonkey Member Posts: 25
    So I guess the answer to my queston is "No".
  • poorprofpoorprof Member Posts: 124
    Actually, the answer is yes. But first you have the tell the car there are not any passengers remaining in the car. You do that by pushing the lock button on the fab! :-D

p.s., sorry for being a wisea$$!
  • lmickeydlmickeyd Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 07' M45 Sport. I absolutely love this car! The only gripe is the lack of automatic door locks when the car is shifted into gear or a pre-set speed. I've become accustomed to this feature in the three previous cars I've owned, so I was surprised a car that costs this much didn't have this feature as standard equipment. Is there a way to configure this feature that I don't know about? Thanks to all.
    no
  • chuckb4chuckb4 Member Posts: 12
    I've missplaced one of my key fobs and ran the other through the washing machine ( which may prove that the keys are smarter than me ). Anyway, I really need to find the missplaced one. Since it puts out a radio frequency( I think ) does anyone know if there's a meter or locator I can buy/rent to locate the key? Any other ideas short of paying the dealer many bucks for new keys? Thanks
    It doesn't put out any signal at all unless you press a button. You have to find it visually.
  • chuckb4chuckb4 Member Posts: 12
    When it's working, I don't press anything on the fob to activate the unlock buttons located near the handle or on the trunk, so it must be putting out some signal to cause those to operate.
    Not necessarily so...it could use an RFID, or just have the receiver on and respond to the car's request for authentication. I'd have to read the service manual to see what actually happens.

If you don't find at least one key, you're in for a big surprise...you need at least one paired key to activate any new ones or you not only have to buy the keys, but the computer, too. Sit down while they tell you the price...
  • christydwchristydw Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2006 Infiniti M35 and I recently changed the battery in my car and after I changed the battery I had to reset almost all the electronics. I was successful in resetting everything except the automatic door locks when the car is shifted into gear. Is there anyone out there that can help me. I need to know how to reset that option so it works again...Thanks Christy
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2006 too but I don't think mine has this feature at all. I'll be interested to hear how to activate it!

Alan
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    There is no such feature on 2006 Infiniti M. So, you are all set.
    My 2006 M35 has the technology package and this option comes with it.
    My 2006 M35 has the technology package and this option comes with it.
    then you have the only 2006 M35 with this feature.....
    Indeed. None, repeat, none of 2006 M35 has this function. It is not offered by Infiniti, period!
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    Thank you! Mine has the Technology Package as well and I just reviewed the Owner's Manual just to be sure. It's not offered. I remember people on this forum in the past complaining that it's not offered.
  • khaug1khaug1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm 6'2" and my wife's 5'2"

Be sure you each lock the car every time when exiting. In my experience (incuding BMWs, M-Bs), that's the only way to insure the system will work as intended.

When we do this, all parameters work as interndew (steering wheel, mirrors, climate control, etc).

Good luck!.

-Karl
  • kthclementkthclement Member Posts: 1
    Lost both my 2007 M35 smart Keys, Now what?
    Sit down, get out your checkbook, call the dealer and try not to have a heart attack.

The computer CANNOT be programmed to accept a new key without at least one that already is paired with the computer. That means, you must buy a new computer along with the new keys. It's expensive. Someone said in the order of $1k, but I do not know.

Maybe they've changed that, but from a security viewpoint, it would not be good otherwise, anyone with a key could program it to your car and just drive away. My understanding is they are paired at the factory, and there's no way around it. Good luck, hope my info is no longer true.
  • jkashanjkashan Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? I have a 2007 M35 and it use to lock when I shift into drive and unlock when I shift into park, automatically. I'm not sure what I changed but some how it no longer auto lock/open. Any suggestions?
    Auto lock/unlock on M35/M45 is NEVER offered by Infiniti - Not with ANY package or any option. None, never, ever from 2006 through 2009. So, don't bother about it - unless you go with after market. Yes, I know this for sure, 100%, 1000% sure.
  • ranoneranone Member Posts: 2
    CAN I GET ONE FOR MY M35 2009
This discussion has been closed.