Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Tires

anuruddhakanuruddhak Member Posts: 1
I just rode home in my (shiny) new M35x (AWD) and I get a burining smell from my tires...

Anyone else seen this problem (and NO I did not go over 60Mph).

Comments

• docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Everyone seems to get that smell (including me). It is normal and will burn off after a hundred miles or so.
  • 540dude540dude Member Posts: 38
    The burning smell is actually from your engine. The smell comes from a coating that Infiniti puts on the engine before it is shipped. It will burn off within a thousand miles. This is unique to Infiniti--my BMW 540 never had that smell.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Turns out the ~ $400 installed isn't that far out of the question to replace my tire. I have OE Potenza RE050A 245/40R/19 94W Run Flat tires. I've searched the web and for an exact match for these tires the best I could find was $349 + S & H + installation. S & H ranges between $31 and $51 so having the dealer do it is a) less hassle, and b) no more costly. There is a NON run flat Potenza that's listed at $269 + S & H but it's not an exact match ... all other parameters match but it's not run flat.

Quite frankly, when I look at what my extra $$$ for the Sport w/ those wheels/tires bought me I doubt I'd go for another Sport particularly given the low-mileage driving I do (7K per year).

There are other manufacturers out there who make a 245/40R/19 that are considerably less costly than the 'Stones that might make sense if and when I have to replace ALL of my tires but when one goes I'm stuck w/ a perfect match. However, w/ my lease came a warranty whereby all tires will be replaced at no cost to me at lease end if tread wear is low.

Thus far, no more air leakage.

Bart :shades:
  • stmechstmech Member Posts: 19
    My year-old M35 has a tracking problem on worn asphalt highways. Lanes which have noticeable rutted worn areas (probably from heavy truck traffic) cause the car to hunt around to find a line. Depending on the amount of road wear, this can produce a fairly abrupt left or right movement and makes corrective driving somewhat tedious. I have not experienced this phenomena with any other vehicle.

Other observations:
    1.This did not suddenly occur, it has done this since it was new. (I just haven't gotten around to writing about it and I haven't brought it to the dealer's attention.)
    2. It didn't happen with winter tires. I suppose that makes it an easy fix - new tires, but I wanted to see if anyone else found the same thing to be true.
    3. On a smooth road without the rutted wear - no problem. Tracks just fine.

Anyone else experience this?
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    Not sure if this explains what you have experienced, but since it did not occur with different tires, it might be relevant that the stock tires (at least on my M35) are rated very poor by Tire Rack. They are Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/45VR18.
    Difficult to compare a 35 Sport w/ the base 35 because the wheels and tires are different but I've never felt anything but rock steady steering with my 19" stock Potenza's. I don't claim to know much about tires, but on the face of it I'd have to blame your tires for this based on your winter tire experience.

My wife has a Lexus GX470 that's tough to maintain on the straight and narrow at hiway speeds and folks on the Lexus thread have posted that changing to different tires on THAT vehicle (and I've forgotten what they were; possibly Cross Terrains?) stabilized the ride. Others found no difference with the upgraded tires.

Bart
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I have a similar issue with my M35X which is about a month old. There is a patch of the LIE near my home where this happens all the time. Interesting that the tires made a difference. I thought it had to do with alignment settings (0 camber) as mentioned in another thread.

Overall I love the car, and have no problems with the seating.

It actually gets BETTER gas mileage than the G35X which I got rid of..go figure.
    the LIE

I puzzled over this for a moment or two ... then realized it's the Long Island Expressway. Your gas mileage experience is interesting ... computed by hand or by the on-board computer? You're lugging around more weight in a brand new car so I would have expected the mileage to be LESS than the G35X ... don't look a gift horse in the face. Don't worry, be happy! LOL
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    My 2002 Maxima SE does this also. But I
    thought a lot of it had to do with the fact
    that it's a front-wheel drive car, whereas the
    M35 is rear-wheel drive. The only switch in
    tires that I made was when my Bridgestone
    Potenzas were worn out at 45,000 miles, I
    purchased Futura tires. The size is the same
    and they're also V-rated tires. They do ride
    a little better than the Potenzas did, but
    I deal with the tracking/pulling issue still
    when driving on less than stellar roads.
  • indemandindemand Member Posts: 14
    I remember testing an m35x followed by an m45s. It was raining and the roads were not the best. The 35 was all over the place and the 45 was perfect. My current 45 non sport has the same tires and has no issue with tracking. As someone else stated, this has come up several times as a possible alignment issue.
  • prophetprophet Member Posts: 72
    Its the tires. My Goodyears have acted exactly the same way for the last 24,000 miles. Can't wait to replace them.
    24,000 miles

Quite encouraging to see this kind of mileage on OEM tires ... that will get me to the end of my 3 year lease w/ the OEM tires, save me $400/ tire to replace them for my use, and my add-on warranty covers tire replacement at lease end if tread's < 1/8". The downside may be that the 19" Potenzas on my Sport may not last as long? I believe someone posted similar numbers for their Potenzas a month ago, so he's hopin'! Bart :)
    What are you considering as replacements for the stock Goodyear tires?
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I just bought a '99 Miata as a weekend/station car, and the handling is comparable. Of course I don't drive the Miata at the same speed on parkways as I do the M35x, but the feel is the same. As to mileage, it's still right around 20-22 overall. I didn't buy the M to save money on gas. I only have about 7500 miles on the M, so tire wear is not yet a factor.
    :)
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    My year-old M35 has a tracking problem on worn asphalt highways. Lanes which have noticeable rutted worn areas (probably from heavy truck traffic) cause the car to hunt around to find a line

I have noticed the same thing, especially on roads where the surface has been "cupped" from the effects of tire wear. I have an M35x.

Back in the late 80's I had a Celica GTS which came with aggressive (at the time) low profile tires and experienced the same thing with that vehicle. At first, I thought it might be tires or the fact that it was front wheel drive. Changing the tires did not resolve the issue. I was told that if the road surface is not flat, vehicles with low profile tires are more sensitive to moving off track as they try to find a line.
  • joeshanjoeshan Member Posts: 70
    I just bought Cooper Zeon Sport A/S from Mavis Discount Tires for my G35X and they're not only less expensive than RS-A's, they're quieter and have a 400 treadwear rating.
    They're available in 245/45-18 W speed rated.
    I got 22k miles out of the RS-A's.
  • dubbdubb Member Posts: 20
    It's the tires, trust me.

- Kai
    M35x
    After 24,000 miles on my M35 I replaced the inadequate Goodyears with Michelin Pilot MXM4's. Much better ride & handling in the dry. No good rain test yet (its Texas you know) but anything would be better than the RSA's.
    My intention has been to replace mine in the fall with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, before SF Bay Area rainy season. But don't see them in our car's size on Tire Rack.

If you have a chance, pleasev let me know why you selected the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, I assume in 245/45 VR18? Tire Rack lists them at $236 each.
    The Pilot MXM4's were better suited to my type of driving. Cost $231 at Discount Tire. If you're a hard driver though, the Exalto's might be a better choice. However, anything would be better than the Goodyear Eagle RSA.
  • johnhwjohnhw Member Posts: 111
    My M45 Sport has road noise with the original equipment tires on it. Anyone able to recommend a new tire that is noticeably quieter with the same car?
    Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 scores high overall and very quiet in the noise category on Tire Rack comparative survey of drovers using various 245/40-19 tires in the "Max Perfermance Summer" tire category. So does Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    art234,

Can you comment on the ride quality of the M35x compared to the G35x? And can you also comment on the quietness between these two cars?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • carolyn6carolyn6 Member Posts: 5
    Would someone please recommend good reasonably priced tires for my M35 Sport. My husband complains about the handling of the car on the highway. He says it dances across the road and is not easily controlled. :confuse:
  • allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
    Are they still using these tires on the '07 M35X? My A6 lease is expiring soon and I am considering the M35X or another A6.
  • max929max929 Member Posts: 16
    My 07 M35x I got in August has Goodyear RSAs
    Thanks for the response!
    Do you notice any handling problems as described in this forum?
    J
  • max929max929 Member Posts: 16
    Sorry for the delay... I dont have a problem with the tires they seem fine... but I guess its a subjective thing. They seem very good in the rain and I have not had to drive in snow yet.

Overall Ive had the car almost 3 months and its been fantastic. I dont have any complaints at all...

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply.
    If you want to swap tires will tire retailers take your brand new RSA's in trade for another set of tires?
    Glad you are enjoying the car.
    We just drove my Audi A62.7T from Mass. to NY and if I enjoy my next car as much as this one I'll be more than satisfied. Lease price has gone way up on '07's so far.
    J
  • jjsheinjjshein Member Posts: 10
    I'm heading into my first New England winter with my 2006 M45 Sport (it rocks!). Anyone have recommendations for winter tire/wheel packages?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I put on Michelin Pilot Alpin 2's and found them quiet and decent comfort and traction. Check out www.tirerack.com and talk to one of their reps.
  • jamess3jamess3 Member Posts: 16
    Please let me know if anyone knows how to reset the TPMS sensors. I just put snow tires/rims with OEM sensors, and am getting blank readings.

The tire dealer said I may need to go to the dealer to reset.

S
    Yep, if the sensors are not in exactly the same location where they started out, the only way to get the system to recognize them again is to go to the dealer's shop and have them use their special tool. I asked various OBD manufacturer's if any of their scan tools would do it, and they all said no, it was a proprietary Nissan thing.

Supposedly the G series uses a different computer, and will figure out what is there somehow, but, at least in the 2006 (don't know if they changed it for 2007), you can't do it yourself on the M.

If someone has successfully done this with a scantool, I'd really like to know!
    Takes the service department a few minutes to re-set ... needs to be done by the dealership. When they rotated my tires at 5K miles I had blank readings --- had to go back. The only problem I've had in 19 months with my M.

B
  • fb001fb001 Member Posts: 2
    My tires wore out on my M35Sport with Potenza RE50 245/40R19 after only 16,000 miles. I think this is excessive. I am thinking of getting rid of the car cause I can't justify replacing tires every year. Anyone have similiar experience. Also, I am getting only 16.1 mpg mix city/hwy in a flat area. We drive normally. My nephew has the same car in a flat area and gets 19+. Is there something wrong with my M35. Also, my dealer is useless. Overall, I really like the car, dislike the dealer service, and I am shocked at the tire wear. Any recommendations?
    Where are you located? Who is your dealer?
  • carolyn6carolyn6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 M35 and have 23,000 miles. It's almost time for tire replacements. My gas mileage is averaging 19 mpg. I have few complaints and love the car. I just want to know which tires are best for replacement.
  • fb001fb001 Member Posts: 2
    Plano Tx...and my dealer is Crest.
    I am seriously considering leasing a M35X and believe that some of the complaints about road noise and driveability issues are related to the Goodyear RS-A's. They are a very poorly rated expensive tire by Tire Rack. I'm going to try to work out a swap deal with my local tire dealer to have the new Bridgestones be put on the car. I was wondering if any of you any experience with the Bridgestones on The M35X. If so, please advise.
    Thanks
  • infntim35xguyinfntim35xguy Member Posts: 6
    any good dealer for service i am now at ramsey infiniti service sucks any sugg? :confuse:
  • carfan28carfan28 Member Posts: 43
    How does the car do with it's OEM Goodyear RSA's in the snow?
  • s54s54 Member Posts: 29
    I have the same issue with my winter tires and rims even though I have the TPMS sensors on this set.

However, my question is: Does this affect the stability control functionality if the car cannot read the sensors? The dealer is kind of far away and it is not that much of an issue not to have the tire pressure being monitored, but if it's a safety issue...

Thanks in advance for the comments.

S
    I doubt the system relies on the tire pressure monitoring system to adjust the stability control. I'm pretty sure much of it is done with the anti-lock brake sensors - they monitor the relative speed of each wheel. If one tire was significantly lower pressure, it could trigger the anti-lock, but it would take a fairly big loss of pressure to do it.
  • lexusmonkeylexusmonkey Member Posts: 25
    Are the factory tires on the M45 Sport All Season or summer/performance tires?
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Are the factory tires on the M45 Sport All Season or summer/performance tires?

Summer max performance tires. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Excellent dry handling tire. Pricey but down to a mere $245/tire at Tire Rack.
  • lexusmonkeylexusmonkey Member Posts: 25
    What All Season Performance tires are recommended?
    I'd check on www.tirerack.com. Personally, I tend to prefer two sets of wheels/tires and get the best of both worlds based on the season. All-season are a compromise in all seasons...as tire technology gets better, the gap narrows some, but then they make improvements in the dedicated season tires again, too.
  • jjsheinjjshein Member Posts: 10
    I agree with the two-set philosophy. I have just finished my first New England winter with my M45 Sport, having purchased a set of Blizzack tires (on ASA rims) from my Infiniti dealer (I shopped the Tire Rack and the dealer was within $20 for the set of 4).

The car handled beautifully in all road conditions, from dry, to wet, to snowy, to ice. Obviously, the traction control is a big contributor to the performance.

In fact, I much prefer this setup to my old car, an Audi A6 Quattro with high-performance all season Michelin PS-2's.
    I have 13,500 on my M35 Sport and have PLENTY of tread life remaining to get to the lease's end (which will be ~ 20K miles). What pressures are you running? You must be running them soft. I keep mine at 38 psi cold ... and the dealer adjusts them to that level when it's in for routine service. Bart :shades:
    Carolyn ... 23K is more like it. See my other post. I suspect 16K is the result of running them too soft because I've read several other comments on this thread that folks are typically getting in the low 20's on their Potenza's.

Bart :shades: