Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2007

Comments

• goodwrenchgoodwrench Member Posts: 1
    Over the years the Ohio plant has been pumping out thousands of Civics. But I've learned from several factory-trained mechanics that cars made in Ohio have many spotty quality problems. For example, my 2000 Civic is made in Ohio has several visible workmanship problems. One obvious one is the sloppy assembly job between the headlamp and the front fender/engine hood area.

Does any one know where 2007 Civics are made? Are there any made in Japan? Also, I'd like to know if any part/component of Honda cars is made in China?
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    I supposed you are thinking that if it was built in Japan, it would be free of such defects. As one who has travelled to and worked in factories around the world, I can assure you that it isn't. Factory workers in Japan make mistakes too. They tend to be more consistent so correcting them is often easier. but to think that a product made in Japan is somehow "better" just shows a lack of understanding of reality.

And some would say bigotry, but I won't.

A quality product is more the result of the design of the product than the person putting parts together.

North American Civics are made in Ohio and Canada.
  • random1random1 Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure about the quality of workmanship from Ohio but my personal experience with made-in-China products have led me to be more wary of stuff made in China, especially critical components like brake parts and other safety-critical components of my vehicle.

I certainly don't see any 'bigotry' in the OP. It's simply a matter of experience based on statistical data. And stuff made in Japan has earned a good reputation due to the attitude and philosophy towards quality, in addition to stricter quality checks before hitting the dealers' parking lot. I own a made-in-USA Civic myself and must agree that there are few minor quality problems. But they don't bother me a whole lot. What concerns me the most is the stuff that are made in China. I do hope Honda won't compromise its hard-earned reputation by using parts made in China.
  • soljasolja Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced the following potential problem. I recently bought a 2007 Civic LX and, as I think there's something wrong with the trip meter. :cry: The trip meter (A and B) supposed to be work independently, but mine doesn't. Everytime I reset the trip meter, it keeps working at the same time. :confuse: For instance, I use trip A and I reset the trip B. And for a while when I look back at the trip B, it's not zero.

Before I bring it into the dealership, I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and what it might be?

Thank you in advance. :)
  • shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Your trip meters are working normally. You cannot "turn off" a trip meter...they are both always working. The only thing you can do is reset each trip meter to 0 independently. Once any of the trip meters are reset they begin counting mileage from 0.

I use trip meter A to track mileage between fill ups. I use trip meter B to track total mileage on long trips.
  • soljasolja Member Posts: 2
    I was thought that the trip meter work independently. :)
    thank you for your reply shado4. now it's make sense.
    It's the 1st time i have a car with dual trip meter. :P
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    since when have civics been made in china?
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Since 2006 by Dongfeng Honda Automobile Co., Ltd., an affiliate company. They only make civics for sale in China though, and they don't make all their own parts either. I don't think any of the Honda affiliates in China export anything.
    well than its a bit different than now isn't it? his post made it seem like this applies to ALL civics that can be purchased ANYWHERE. what you are saying is quite different.
  • smoocherzsmoocherz Member Posts: 1
    I have had my new 2007 Honda Civic for about 2 months and a little over a 1000 miles.My oil monitor still says 90%. When I asked the service department at the dealer where I purchased my car when I should bring it in for its first maintenance, he replied, not until the oil monitor says 10%. Is that correct? I always thought that the mileage was more important. Can anyone give me the definitive answer to this question?

Thank You,
    David Kessler
    Mileage is important, but so are other factors such as engine RPM, duration at those RPMs, etc, so the oil life monitor (OLM) uses all these variables to let you know when service is due.

Take it in when it reaches 10%. I change my own oil, my 1st was at about 6,500 miles and the OLM was at 15%.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    The auto makers never seem to run out things they do that make you slap yourself on the forehead and say "what the hell were they thinking?" Being absolutely in the love with the new Civic since it was introduced for the '06 model, and being somewhat in the market for a new vehicle, I started doing some research. While doing so I learned Honda has made the Civic available in my favorite color (rallye red) only on the EX and SI coupe. For the life of me I can't think of one single reason why Honda couldn't have made this color available in any trim level. Now in order to get a Civic in the color I want I would have to spend roughly an extra $2K for a premium trim level I don't want or need just to get the color I want. How stupid is that? I absolutely love the new Civic, but Honda may have just lost a sale because I can't get the color I want in the trim level I want. I wonder how many other people opted to pass on the Civic because of Honda's ridiculous color unavailability decision?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Rallye red? Have you considered rose colored glasses?

Somehow, I think that if my mind was set on purchasing a new vehicle for how it handles, how comfortable it is, how it makes me happy to be in it (since I can't see the outside color from the inside), how it satisfies my needs, how it satisfies my ego, etc. I would get over any minor question of exterior color. At worst, I'd have it repainted.

For the extra $$ the EX has larger rear disk brakes, alloy wheels, moonroof, remote trunk release, variable speed intermittant wipers, 12-volt console outlet, premium sound system, audio controls on steering wheel, 7 speakers, outside temperature display, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, chrome exhaust, blue ambient light on console, navigation availability AND Rallye Red paint availability.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ....I don't need or want any of that stuff. Why should I spend a bunch of extra money for something I don't want, just to get something else I want that should be available in any trim level?
    lets analyze your question here, because i don't think you are going to get an acceptable answer.

You want ralley red. But you don't want an ex.

Deepen your relationship with honda (i.e. purchase a more expensive civic) and they'll give you some extra perks.

If you notice, even if you got an ex SEDAN you STILL COULD NOT get ralley red. Becasue ralley red is usually considered a sporty color, and the coupe emphasizes this. As does the si sedan and coupe in which you can get ralley red as well.

Even if color was NOT an issue, the extras that the ex offeres you are totally worth the price premium, even if honda does make you pay more for them than other competitors.

I don't think they have ever been amazing at color combos (i.e. my black ex had an IVORY interior for 06 and its not until o7 that they finally decided to give it a gray interior), but a lot of auto makers do this. Think you can get aurora blue or cosmic blue on the base mazda 3? nope. youll have to get a 2.3s or a mazdaspeed to enjoy those hues.

So while not every automaker does this, its not exclusive to honda, and they like to reward those who shell out a little more; you may not agree with it, but thats how they have ALWAYS done it. If i was a red ex owner, i'd hate to see a dx guy drive up with ralley red civic thinking he's hot stuff. :P

this carries on to the si as well. YOu want fiji blue pearl ( a color that actually was available on regular civics of the previous gen) on a new civic? sorry, you need to get an si to do that, same with habanero pearl.

As a matter of fact, its interesting to note that in the previous gen of civics (01-05) ralley red was available on the dx/value edition trim; kind of a way for honda to reward those who opted for a car with little extras.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I also didn't really want everything that the EX version had, so I opted for the LX. That was my thinking last June when I purchased the car. I eventually added a couple of tweaks to my LX to enjoy the car even more. So at the time, I made the right decision for me.
    Looking back now, I probably should've waited till the '07's came out and gotten the EX. Am I sorry I didn't wait...maybe a little. I'm still loving my LX and couldn't be happier. I guess it all happens to do with timing. Last year the LX was all I wanted and needed. This year, the EX would've been my choice.
    That's what makes life interesting though, the life choices we make at different times.

The Sandman :)

P. S. If i had a true do over, I wish I would've checked out the Acura TSX...what an awesome car!
    i totally understand what you are saying sand; but your gripe didn't seem to be about color choices as it was feature content.

and his gripe could be applied to many different automakers, not just honda.

heck mazda wont even give you a hatchback unless you get the 2.3! even with honda you have a choice with regards to performance models.
  • cj2004cj2004 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Civic Coupe EX in Galaxy Grey Metallic. I want to add fog lights, but thru the dealership it will cost me around $300 before installation (not worth it). So I was planning on ordering from ebay and having a friend install them. My question is what color are the factory fog lights? Yellow or clear? I want it to look authentic without having to pay an arm and a leg to a dealership. And I only need the light, not a harness or anything right? Since there's already a circular cut-out in the fender that looks like it will pop out to install the light. Is that correct? Any additional info regarding fog lights is appreciated also. Thanks!
    ...but a bigger problem is that they aren't quite round. a custom fit will be tricky but highly doable.
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    I waited for the 2007 EX, black with gray interior, and would rather have black interior to hide the stains. So it goes.

And for sure, my next Civic is going to be an Acura!
  • civicgurl27civicgurl27 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new Honda civic.I sold my 99 Honda Civic EX and decided to get a newer one .Im actually a little disappointed with my purchase. I am only getting 200 miles per tank of gas. Also I noticed my accelleration isnt what it was on my 99.Is this normal on the new ones

the guy at the dealership said i should be getting 400 miles per tank, which i figured was a little out there but i really thought i would be getting better milage
    Has your new vehicle been properly broken in yet? I surely wouldn't expect to compare acceleration and mileage figures without at least 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Any "guy at the dealership" telling anyone about how many miles someone should get from a tank of fuel should not be believed. Miles per tank is virtually meaningless. The only true measure is actual number of miles driven divided by actual number of gallons consumed... that's Miles Per Gallon (MPG). Even that figure is only valid after averaging a few tankfulls of driving.

Miles per tank could mean many things, depending upon how large or small the capacity of a particular tank is.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    Well, even if you completely drained the tank (it's 13.2 gallons, btw), 200 miles per tank would only work out to about 15mpg - which is horrible for the civic. On my very first fillup (bought my 2007 EX/AT sedan in March) I recorded 29.4mpg.

Of course you do need to calculate what your actual mpg is, as you cannot really guestimate reasonably going by roough mileage and the fuel guage LEDs. But you should be well over 20mpg right from the factory (even with heavy, stop-n-go traffic). I agree that mileage figures should improve over the first few 1000's of miles, but break-in will not drastically alter it, just slightly improve it. Off the lot, in average city traffic, I'd be calling my dealer had my mileage been less than 25mpg - that's not right for a brand new civic.

P.S. my worst mileage thus far has been about 26mpg - a couple of weeks of only short trips with lots of idling at lights and such. My best was a shade over 41mpg, on a long afternoon cruise at 65-70mph along I-64. In theoretical miles-per-tank, that would work out at 340 to 540 (if I ran the tank dry).
    how is miles per tank irrelevant?

if you reset your odometer every time you fill up, that IS the ACTUAL number of miles driven. you divide this by how many gallons you pumped.

a sales guy saying that she should be getting around 400 miles to a tank isn't ridiculous, as thats what i used to get; its to be expected. there is something wrong with her civic, or she is driving in the worst conditions possible.

acceleration, though should be just as good if not better. same goes for handling.
  • ras314ras314 Member Posts: 43
    Could be the fuel gauge is way off, how many gal was added for a 200 mi range? I notice my gauge doesn't budge until around 2 gal is used but reads about right at 1/4 tank left indicated. Which, btw, is around 400 miles. My second tank fill used 9.3 gal at 399 miles and the third tank used 9.9 gal at 422 miles, so my LX certinaly has a 400 mile range. This was over half hwy miles so probably will drop considerably if all city.

Gas stations in my area can be a long ways apart, so it is necessary to have a good idea how far you can go before you run out of gas. So yes, miles per tank is a very useful idea.
    Miles per tank is irrelevant if she underfills her tank one time and overfills it the next. civicgurl27 has not indicated whether or not this 200 miles per tank figure was the one and only fillup, or it is a consistant pattern over many fillups for her. She could have a leak in the tank or fuel line. She could be a major leadfoot. She has not provided enough information.

The calculated average MPG over several fillups is the best measure of how efficiently her vehicle is perfoming.
    The calculated average MPG over several fillups is the best measure of how efficiently her vehicle is perfoming.

no one is disputing how to calculate mileage...but since she didn't point out how she is filling up (like you said) then we can't rule it out either. so if anything, its even more relevant than we thought.
  • edwcedwc Member Posts: 1
    Need some help here. I am going to buy a new honda civic lx sedan 4drs, but has difficulty to decide which color to go for. I am thinking about either Silver or Galaxy Gray. Any suggestions? :)
    What color are your eyes? What color clothes do you like to wear? What color is your home? What color Civics are in stock at your dealer?

Everybody has personal preferences. Nobody has to hire a decorator.

Your choice will be the best.
    I chose this color over the Atomic Blue, as my dealer had both colors lined up next to each other. The Silver was nice to, but the last car was silver and the wife's 3s is also silver so I wanted a change. I also added rims from a '05 Civic Si, EP3's I think, and got another compliment in a parking lot from a lady driving a 3. She passed and said "Nice Car". Put a smile on my face.
    Truthfully, you can't go wrong with any color on a Civic. The light brown is nice also, but it does have the ivory interior...a deal breaker for me, as I prefer a darker interior.

• socal8socal8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car 3 weeks ago and with 500 miles on the car am not getting anywhere near the 30 mpg city that it is supposed to get. I have been told I need to wait a couple of thousand miles for the car to break in, which I find difficult to believe. If you have this model, are you getting the 30 mpg in the city?
  • k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    EPA ratings are taken on rollers so there is no wind resistance. That skews the numbers. They are also taken at the lightest throttle setting possible. If you see your tach touching 4k rpm you are burning more fuel and if you are seeing higher rpm regularly you are really going to drop below the EPA numbers. Are your tires at 32psi cold? Anything less than that will lower mpg as well. Do you have a bunch of stuff in it? Added weight equals lower mpg. Bigger tires with heavier unsprung weight? Another hit. Lots of variables that can affect it.
  • civic07civic07 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I purchased a new civic coupe ex back in April of this yr. I now have about 5,ooo miles on the car. I have not gotten nearly the mileage was led to expect. Most of my driving is highway driving, and I am averaging just 26 mpg. It has been as low as 22, and never been more than 27.5. That is with about 70% highway driving, average speed 55-75.

Over Memorial Day I drove to the beach, just a straight shot on the expressway for 55 miles, no traffic, only one passenger, and the ac only used one way. I got 25 mpg.

My regular route to work was just two lights, then on the expressway for 15 miles, and right off into my place of work. Sometimes I didn't stop the entire way.

My driving habits have been quite moderate - no lead foot, speeding etc. Tire pressures are all 32. I am not hauling anything around with me. I do use the Air Conditioning.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or have others experienced similar mileage? I took the car back to the dealer - service looked at it and said they checked the fuel injectors - they were 90 and 94 out of 100. They said no error codes were showing, and that there was nothing they could do.

I am very disappointed, as fuel economy was the primary reason I purchased this car over another. I do not expect to get what the estimates say, but I thought 30+ on the highway would be reasonable to expect. Any Ideas?
    Been averaging this mileage since the 1st oil cahnge and then a small road trip on my '06 LX. 25 on the highway is real low no matter what. Are you sure you are calculating this properly? Somethings just not right here. You've obviously not done the 1st oil change yet, what does the oil minder say about the % of the oil at this point? That would be a good indication as to what's going on.

That's definitely too low based on what you said. I took my 07 LX automatic around Texas visiting my daughters and in about 800 miles got 38mpg. I might try another dealer to check it out.
    The oil life is now at 30%. I agree, something is not right. Yes, I am calculating properly - and I have done the calculation 20 or so times now with different fill ups.
    I just filled again this morning and with around town driving got 33 mpg. I have 1500 miles on my car.
    your mileage is horrendously low.

how far can you go on one tank?

my old civic used to take about 11 gallons. Going by that, i would have to assume that your tanks don't break 290 miles?
    That is correct. I usually get about 280-289. I only got 300 once.
  • ras314ras314 Member Posts: 43
    Good thing that's about a 13 gal tank, 300 would really be close to the edge with a 11 gal tank and your mileage.

Yours sure seems to be low gas mileage, I would like to know if you ever find what the reason is. 5000 miles and 30% oil life is about the same as mine.
    Of the last 5 times, 3 were over 300 miles:

354 miles/12.33g
    316/12.0
    346/10.7 (this was mostly highway but at 70-75mph)
  • kasturiranganrkasturiranganr Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I bought a 2007 Honda Civic LX Sedan (Auto Trans) about a month back. I have noticed that while taking a turn, if I put on the turn indicator (left OR right) and then steer the wheel in the direction where I will be turning, I hear a 'click' coming from the area of the steering wheel.

I did some playing around with the steering wheel tilt and telescopic capabilities and still get the clicks. However, when I do NOT give a turn indicator, I do NOT get a click.

I also noticed that whenever I hear the click, AFTER the turn is complete, the steering wheel turns OFF the signal indicator. If I do NOT hear the click, my turn isnt curved enough for the steering wheel to turn the indicator off.

This tells me that the click is a mechanism instead of a bug. I never noticed this before but I have not been paying much attention before.

Is this something to be concerned about? Have you (other users) also heard a similar click?

I appreciate your reading this and apologize for the long post, punctuated with some capitalization (only added for emphasis).

Thanks,
    Sharad
    There is probably not a single make or model of automobile that was manufactured in the last half-century that doesn't "click" the way you have described. This is a self-cancelling feature that returns the lever to the neutral (no signal) position as the steering wheel approaches the straight-ahead position after a turn has been made. This prevents your lights from continuing to blink (and annoy other drivers) long after you have completed your turn and may have forgotten to turn off your signal.

It is absolutely normal.
  • civic102civic102 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Blane,
    I have the same problem as kasturiranganr in my civic. I am almost certain that the clicking noise is not supposed to be there. The indicator sound that we hear when we put on the turn indicator is an electronic sound but apart from that I hear a mechanical clicking from the steering wheel area when I am making the turn. I get the feeling that its due to something getting worn out in the turn indicator mechanism but I am not really sure.
    Hi, I have a 2005 civic and I too had a feeling that I was getting very low gas averages on my car. So, I decided to put in Premium gas and record the number of miles. 3 full tanks gave me the following miles:
    1st fill: 392miles : 11.25gallons (mostly highway)
    2nd fill: 425miles: 11.95gallons (all highway)
    3rd fill: 375miles: 11.5gallons (highway + local)
    I have gone back to regular gas now. Going by my little experiment, I believe the fuel you put in your car does make a difference. I stick to specific gas stations for refilling my car because cheap gas "MAY NOT" be the best gas.
    :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I stick to specific gas stations for refilling my car because cheap gas "MAY NOT" be the best gas.

True, but there is a significant body of evidence that indicates that premium fuel will cause a measurable drop in fuel economy when burned in the R18 engine of the 8th generation Honda Civic DX, LX, and EX.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hey Shipo,
    What year does the 8th generation of civic refer to? Does premium fuel harm the engine in any way other than giving lower fuel economy in these cars?
    By my previous comment I was thinking impurities in the gas could be responsible for lower fuel economy in the car.
    Regards
    civic102
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Eighth generation Civics are the 2006 and later models.

As for what premium fuel will do to the engine, the jury is still out on this particular design, however, as a general rule, extra deposits will occur from consistent usage of fuel that is higher than the recommended AKI rating for any given engine.

Regarding fuel impurities, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    to back up shipo, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that the primary difference between regular and premium fuels is only the level of octane in it. Think of it as having two barrels of regular fuel, then adding an octane booster to the one you're gonna call premium. No difference in processing and levels of impurities. It's just that higher-compression engines require a higher octane in the fuel.

for my take, i do recognize that there are (sometimes) some notable differences between certain brands of fuel. Such as how each company mixes their fuels, incl. detergents and other addatives they might use. I've found and use a certain local station that consistently has lower (-ish) prices, but also has a reputation for a better fuel mix, which I have also seen in my car's performance.

For your comparison, I have an '07 Si, and driving around normally (about 60/40 hwy/city), I get between 31-32 mpg pretty consistently. On solid highway drives, I'm up to about 35, and strictly city (or more "spirited" driving than normal) I get about 29. I've got ~7800 miles (over ~6 months), and have tracked my mileage pretty carefully over that time period.
  • jdfuscojdfusco Member Posts: 1
    My owners maual was stolen out of my car and of course now is wheni need it for simple things. How do I change the alram activation so that the horn doesn't beep when i set it.. i think i can make it so that just the lights flash
This discussion has been closed.