Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Prius Safety & Crash Test Ratings

13»

Comments

• Options
    whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Not exactly. What I am trying to say is that there is always a weak point in every car. Like "the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" thingy. Something can go wrong with almost everything.
    There have been cases of GM large SUVs catching fire ( electrical ) when parked overnight.
    And maybe, just MAYBE the Prius has an occasional problem with catching fire.
    Some 1.5M have been sold worldwide, but few have caught fire.
    The old Pontiac sports coupe ( Fiero ) with the mid-engine ( behind the driver ) had a bad habit of catching fire because the valve cover gaskets leaked oil on the exhaust manifolds. Hence a fire.
    GM recalled some 1.5M for engine oil fires ( 1997-2003 ).
    If it is built by humans, it can break. Period.
    BUT not ALL will break. Only some.
    CHIN UP!
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am not familiar with anybody having a Prius fire in their garage.

That is exactly what was posted. A Prius exploding and burning inside a garage.

On Sunday July 26 2009 at 2am my 2005 prius (fully loaded model) caught fire in the garage. The neighbors said that they heard 2 explosions (probably batteries blowing up from heat) and then the garage burst into flames. The prius, the garage and my wife's car were all totally destroyed. The firemen all said that in their opinion the genesis of the fire was with the prius. They said that fire was under the prius and surrounding the engine. We left the car in the garage at 9pm Saturday night, and saw the garage at 11:45 pm before going to sleep. Nothing about the garage looked disturbed or unusual. Is Toyota going to make this right?
  • Options
    spinningspinning Member Posts: 4
    that is exactlly happened to my friends 2005 prius on march 28th 2007 He lost everything he got out with his pants and shirt and that is all he lost his house there was nothing left to it.. it has been confirmed that it was the prius that caused the fire ,started by the battery, so it does happen and his was not the first one. in doing some research. there have been more. you will have to sue toyota as they will not make it right
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    OKay, OKAY! So it does seem that some Priui have caught fire.
    But now, it seems that the ones I have read about are the ones that have been "modified" by NOT Toyota.
    Some have now Lithium-Ion batteries, instead of the factory Nickel Metal Hydride.
    AND they may be the "PLUG-IN" Hybrids we have all heard of, but not seen.
    An aftermarket company modifies these cars to be plug-ins, and the batteries are different.
    NOW! Are any of the Priui that are burning NOT these modified cars???
    Are FACTORY cars burning??? Or are they modified Priui that are catching fire?
    Let's solve this mystery once and for all!
  • Options
    this was a 2005 factory orginal no modification. all orginal factory parts with like 16,000miles or less on it. it has been verified by the fire marshall and toyota it was the prius that was at fault.and his wasnt the 1st one.
  • Options
    yes it was a hybrid
  • Options
    feffer37feffer37 Member Posts: 3
This discussion has been closed.