Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New HHR Owners - Give Us Your Report

124»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Crappyhhr2,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle in to be diagnosed for the power steering and electrical issues? If so, what was the diagnosis? Thank you.
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • vcrdanvcrdan Member Posts: 6
    Hi ! My 2010 hhr 2 LT just had its 1 year birthday . I have had Nothing go wrong with my hhr within the last year . I have installed a cold air intake and a modified mass air flow sensor and Just came back from a trip to Pennsylvania about 300 miles both ways. I averaged on the highway 33.5 mpg and city 22 mpg. I was getting bad mileage about 19 / 25 when the car was brand new . Now it has 11,400 miles on it and after it hit 10,000 miles it just seemed to be different. It had more spunk and pulling power. I enjoy my Dark blue 2010 2 LT HHR. It drives smoothly and yet aggressively.
    It very roomy in the front and back and No squeaks or rattles. I did some add on and it looks awesome. Would not trade it in for the world. Why are they discontinuing a great roomy car that handles great ? If they would advertize it on TV or in the papers, Maybe sales would go up. Chevrolet is wrong on this point . Why kill a car when it serves a purpose ? If they want to get rid of a chevrolet , KILL the Impala . Dan the piano man
  • jb66ss396jb66ss396 Member Posts: 2
    I'm impressed with your gas mileage. I going to check into the cold air intake and mass airflow sensor. Do these parts effect the warranty?

I have a 2009 (bought new) that I'm using 85 Ethanol.

I just bought a 2011 Malibu LT which is another great Chevy. I asked the salesman if the HHR is going away and he old me no.

I think my HHR is a great car. No complaints. My only call out is the 5 speed manual in my HHR. They should have offered a 6-speed (both for the standard and automatic) like they do for the Cruze and Malibu. A definite miss.
    The cold air intake by cgs and the modified air sensor does not void the warranty. Using E85 brought down my mpg to about 19 city and 23 on the highway. When the E85 ( 108 grade ) goes back down to 1.97 / gal I'll use it . It is now 3.19/gal which doesn't make it worth the price vs fuel drop. My hhr 2.4 auto has just past the 2 year mark and I have gotten on the highway 33.5 mpg hwy and 23 aroung town ( heavy stop and go ( lights ) ). I still love it and its riding smoother and the steering is great. I use as fuel 1 fill up with premium ( 93 ) Gulf and 1/2 tank with Mid grade ( 89 ) . I do also wish GM had made a six speed to fit in the body of the hhr/cobalt.
    I have a 2010 2.4 LT automatic and my lights stay on and go off in about 30 seconds . I do have installed from gm a fail safe module that if you leave the radio on or if the cigarette lighter has a gps attache to it and is left on , the module cuts the power to the circuit to reduce a dead battery after 20 minutes. Try putting in a new battery.Maybe it was defective from the factory . It happens. The hhr also has a charging system to conform to how much power you are using vs the charging abilities of the alternator in the engine.
    The switch behind the brake pedal triggers a switch by the shift mechanism to release it out of park on an automatic transmission.
  • sandyf2sandyf2 Member Posts: 1
    My son just (2 days ago) bought a used 2011 HHR with 30,000 miles on it and it is now at a dealership waiting to get the damages on fixing the ignition. Apparently this is a common problem never addressed by Chevy. The key cannot be removed from the ignition and the car cannot be turned off. The fix costs $500 to $600 at the dealer. They are well aware of the problem and no recall has been issued. I have found many posts about this. Are you aware of this?
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    My daughter had the same problem as your son does but with her Cobalt (apparently this car is similar to the HHR in many ways).
    The dealer said that no recalls have been issued and will never be one.
    The problem is caused by a heavy key chain hanging from the ignition putting a stress on the unit and eventually causing damage to it and I believe this because my daughter has a lot of "garbage" attached to her car's key chain.
    There is a push button on the back of the steering colum that is suppose to release the key. I guess you can pull the battery cable off of the battery to kill the engine. I'm very lucky. I only had a noisy heater fan motor in all the 21,300 miles that I have on it. I also have done a lot of High Proformance upgrades on it . Including a jet power module attached to the computer. I must have the car that was built on a Wednesday . Good luck. :)
  • deltakdeltak Member Posts: 1
    I had my go on my 2010 HHR after I purchased it this year (2012) and 6 months into driving. It wasnt until my son left a car door slightly open and my battery died that I found this problem. Finally got the car started (by the way if the battery is going to be in the back it would be helpful to have a keyhole for the trunk or you cant open the back door to get to the battery!!!!) Brought it to the dealership (another tip if your battery dies, be prepared for many of the units that control the electronics, such as, the transmission to not work properly for a half hour...every light you could think of came on my dash stating there was a problem!) Anyways, to get on with my story, I finally got the car to the dealership and they fixed it no problem, no charge stating their was indeed a recall!!!! So make sure you find out first before being charged!!! I reside in Rhode Island by the way.
    Hey Laserblue : You said that " I had my go " what went on it ? After 2.5 years finally my key got stuck in the ignition switch . Very simple replair . It took 2 hours and NO Charge ! They were very understanding with my frustrastions because it happened when I was on my service call , I repair computers . I quickly went to the dearlership " Paul Conte " in Freeport NY and they took care of it pronto . As always I was happy . My little blue HHR 2.4 has an after market Power Module and also a cold air induction system in it and it gives me the trill of a small v6 . So far that is the only problem besides the Heater FAN Motor that was ever replaced. Gas mileage has not been compromised . Stll get about 23 mpg city and about 33.5 hwy on a good day . God Bless !
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Great to hear that everything was resolve so seamlessly for you, deltak! Many more happy miles with your HHR!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Something similar happen to me with my dealer.
    Didn't wait for a survey, as soon as I got home, I called G.M. directly and they called the dealer immedietly to discuss my disappointment towards the technicians and the repair shop manager...the dealer called me right back and the wind had suddenly changed it's direction. He was so polite, he apologized to me and from then on every time I go at the dealer they almost roll me the red carpet and treat my like a "king" and call me "MR." and things like; "Can we do anything else for you" or "Was everything at your satisfaction Sir"?
    Don't be afraid...show them your teeths. :)