Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Bluetooth/Phone Questions

Comments

• mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    NO... the sound and clarity is awful in my TCH. I have heard this from every single person that I have talked to. I find myself lifting myself up to the ceiling microphone area, just to talk, and yelling at the phone. It was not worth it. For Christmas, my family finally got me a bluetooth headset and I prefer using that. Trouble is, the car tries connecting every time I get into it, so I do need to disable that!

How very annoying, for a $34K car. What a neat concept, but a terrible finish for many interior features. I rank this one up there with no AUTO up window, and all the squeaks from plastic on plastic. I will trade for the finish of our '99 camry any day! :mad:
  • erniea1erniea1 Member Posts: 9
    Is it possible to transfer the cell phone's address book information from the cell to the car's phone address book through blue tooth or some other means? That would help immensely instead of one-by-one insertions.

Thanks!

Ernie Adsett
  • pabugeaterpabugeater Member Posts: 17
    Yes. The manual explains how to do it via Bluetooth. I have ~= 270 contacts in Address Book. I sync them (also via Bluetooth) from by PowerMac to my Z525. Once in the car I transfer them from the phone to the car.

Now, if I had an Apple laptop rather than a desktop, I could just pair the MacBook Pro with the car and have the laptop transfer them!
  • ulfyaulfya Member Posts: 2
    Hello I just drove out of the lot with my new THC and I'm new at this forum also, my question is: I'm trying to setup my phone so far so good but now it says "add entry" I choose phone book, and it says get phone ready, ready for what? :( how do I get my phone ready?

Thanks

Ulfya
  • ulfyaulfya Member Posts: 2
    Hello I'm new at this forum, I need help adding phonebook from the phone to car any help? The car instructions just says get phone ready...How? thanks Ulfya
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I will trade for the finish of our '99 Camry any day!

That was my cousin's sentiments completely. Better car all around.
  • suek1suek1 Member Posts: 2
    I had my treo paired to my bluetooth then all of a sudden the phone was no longer linked. tried to pair again but cant get to the screen on the phone where it asks for the pass code. The phone recognizes a handsfree device but they dont seem to recognize each other therefore i can no screen for passcode Any ideas ?
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Which Treo do you have?
  • suek1suek1 Member Posts: 2
    Its a TREO 650 and my car is Camry Hybrid
    'Not exactly on topic but as a fellow Treo 700p user, I thought you might be interested to know that there is a software update coming next month, in April 2007. The good news is that one of the things it is supposed to do is update the Bluetooth stack, which should improve its ability to sync with the Toyota Camry Hybrid (and a host of other cars). The bad news is that the update is only for Sprint 700p smartphones; 700p smartphones from other cell companies (such as Verizon Wireless) will not be updated until later in the year.'

Though I have the 700, I had the 650 and can't imagine it would give you that much trouble.
  • bthybridbthybrid Member Posts: 1
    One tip: sometimes the Bluetooth antenna and mic are not hooked up from the factory. If when you first enter the system and cannot record a name, e.g. the computer does not recognize the your voice commands, then your system is not hooked up and your dealer can fix this in a matter of minutes. Otherwise, the Treo 700W is compatible with the Camry Hybrid. As far as phonebook transfers go, you can only beam one contact at a time. That is the only pitfall. I got around this by transferring my contact list to my daughter's Sanyo and then used her phone to load the contact list in one fail swoop to the Camry.
    My experience with the voice quality and connectivity in the Camry has been nothing but EXCELLENT.
    I have had no problems with connectivity with my 700P and can hear perfectly... do you ever have complaints (as I do) that people have trouble hearing you?
  • saadalhaddadsaadalhaddad Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post here!!!

This information applies to Windows Mobile 2003 and later. It might work with other earlier versions and any Bluetooth phone as well.

There are 3 ways for adding entries to your car address book. I would like to share with you on how to transfer a contact from your address book to the Phone book.

Pair your PDA with the car.

Please note, in order to be able to transfer a contact from your PDA address book to the car, create a new contact and use these fields only:

1. First name field: Use e.g. "Mark Home" in the first name field.
    2. 10 digit contact number (North American style)
    3. Input the number in the home field in the contact card.

NOTE: THE CAR'S ADDRESS BOOK DOES NOT ACCEPT PARANTHESES. ONLY 10 NUMBERS MUST BE USED IN THE HOME FIELD OF THAT CONTACT.

Now, if numbers are entered in a new contact, the PDA will automatically group the first 3 digits as the area code and put them between two parentheses and put a dash between the 3rd and 4th number. E.g. (123)456-6789

Now in order to overcome this issue; Change your regional setting for your PDA from English US to English UK and start to create your 20 contacts that you want to transfer to the car's address book. After that is done, start adding entries to your car's address book "by phone".
    Right click any contact on your PDA (right click = keep pressing the stylus to a contact for more than 3 seconds) and then choose beam contact, and then choose your car to send to.

I transferred my 20 contacts successfully to my NON/NAV JBL Camry Hybrid and my i-mate JAM windows mobile 2003 2nd Edition, and now whenever I dial, the name of the contact appears on the LCD panel instead of " No Name".

As for all other people who are facing difficulty sending contact one by one, Irrespective of your phone's model and make, just insure to store the name and input the 10 digit contact number WITHOUT ANY PARANTHESES in the home field of your contact and give it a try and send it by your Bluetooth.

Thanks for your time! And best of luck.
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Just for the record, the software upgrade for the Treo 700p was released today, Monday, 4 June 2007, and it does address a few bluetooth issues. Among other things, it's supposed to be more compatible with the Denso system that Toyota/Lexus uses. See the link at http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/treo700pupdate/index.html

Also, I will add that the major issue I have had with syncing my Treo 700p with my TCH is that the 700p periodically shuts its bluetooth off when not in use (as a power-saving feature?). So occasionally I (and/or my wife) will get in my car and my phone will not pair.

As for sound quality, when the bluetooth was working, I could hear most people reasonably well and have heard few complaints from others about hearing me. Whatever problems I had -- and again, my problems were related to known Treo 700p issues -- sound quality was not one of them.
  • goldilocks1goldilocks1 Member Posts: 2
    I've tried many of the suggestions in the postings; I can pair the car and treo once. However, as soon as either car or treo is turned off, pairing is lost. Would truly appreciate step by step help in resolving this. Toyota unable to help. Many thanks!
    I can't understand why I don't have a pairing problem with my 700P... why should I be any different than you guys???

I think that I followed the instructions in the manual... and it has always worked... but I will check.
  • mhoffmannmhoffmann Member Posts: 1
    This is great, but how do you transfer them to the Camry phonebook? Can you explain each step in the process? Thanks! :mad: :confuse:
    Could not do it... Entered a few numbers one at a time and then gave up. With only a few numbers entered, 50% of the time the wrong name comes up on the screen! Because of this I rely on the phone itself.
  • veeperveeper Member Posts: 1
    I often have clients in the car with me and don't wish to have them hear all my phone conversations. I am using a motorola razr ---- so, is there any way to turn off bluetooth quickly and use the actual phone itself for privacy concerns?
  • cmeiselcmeisel Member Posts: 1
    We just got the Camry 2007 hybrid and love the car. But I have tried 2 phones so far and experience the same problem on both.
    When I try to transfer the phone books to the car the bluetooth connection disconnect until I get out of the transfer mode. This happens on both phones I tried.
    Has anybody done this successful and if so, can you maybe give me step by step instructions ?
    The other issue is more of a question. It seems that some people I talk to complain about my sounding too quiet but when I up the volume they are too loud and I am still too quiet.

Feedback is appreciated.

thanks

C.
    Just upgraded my 700P(Verizon) and had to re-pair to the system. When I finally re-figured it out... went to the telephone screen... think I pushed system to get to Bluetooth... Went to Bluetooth on my phone to search for devices... enabled it on the car... entered the code 1111 on the phone and it is back up and running. Hope this helps.
  • mrbill4mrbill4 Member Posts: 3
    FYI--The IPONE works great with my new THC. Anyone else using
    IPHONE?? Just need a good mount :)
  • mothersworrymothersworry Member Posts: 1
    07 TCH

My Bluetooth dial by number is a mess. The mic is so sensitive that while driving @45mph with the a/c on it is useless. Give it a 7 digit number and it will repeat a 11 digit number, containing perhaps 3 of those numbers give it. Used the hidden menu to adjust the mic gain and voice, it as best it could be but it fails 85% of the time. This also applies to voice commands for the nav. Oddly the dealer had no way to get to the adjustment menu useing the programs provided by toyota.

Anybody have any thoughts on this other than don't use it?

TIA
  • guruunoguruuno Member Posts: 23
    Exact, identical issues and problems.
    Who to call, who to complain to, what to do?
    Same with NAV system....nightmare system.
    My Garmin 330 works better (giving directions).....
  • jaksterjakster Member Posts: 4
    Someone please tell me it is 2008 right? RIGHT! ok that is what I thought.
    Why would you use my grandmaw's rotory phone ringer for a modern if not futuristic automobile with allot of technology and brushed aluminum in the space age cockpit. Ring Ring Ring hello sonny is that you its grandmaw. God I loved grandmaw but that ringer made me grind my teeth when it went off and so does this one. Someone please tell me I missed options in the setup for diffrent ring tones. A black bakolite phone this Camry is not. Tech guys you can fix this with a software firmware update right. I can plug my laptop in and do all kinds of cool tricks right.
  • brenda94024brenda94024 Member Posts: 1
    I found with the whole voice command on the 08 TCH, it helps if you lift you chin slightly toward the micophone, then speak monotone, not too slow, but not too fast, with out pauses in your voice; let the numbers or words run together. Monotone is the key!
  • janepjanep Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Camry Hybrid. I can't get a phone to pair. The phone recongnizes the bluetooth but then the connection fails. I have tried several different phones. Any suggestions.
  • dkowalskidkowalski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid, just set up the bluetooth system with my phone (Virgin Mobile slice).
    Everything went without a hitch, however when I make a call the recipient cannot hear me.
    I know the mic is set up fine, as I hear my voice command recordings and obviously, the setup involves it's use as well....

If I call from the phone, it works fine, so that isn't the prob.
    Has anyone experienced this ?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Dave Kowalski :confuse:
  • njstrucknjstruck Member Posts: 1
    I love my new 2008 TCH but an slowly plowing through all the manuals as I have the time and "need to know" to figure all the wonderful gadgets.

As on my home phone, I like to include all the scoop for automated calls into my message center (phone #, pause, "*" password "#" pause ... "1" ).
    How do I enter this information. How do I do the pauses and special characters for the car phone? On a similar subject, I've not yet mastered (AKA figured out) how to reply to menu selection for any calls to businesses where you have more choices than you thought you'd even need.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • rkstiensrkstiens Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2008 TCH and want to transfer my contacts from my Motorola Razr V3m. I get to the point on the TCH setup where it says to transfer the phonebook but can't figure out how to do it. Any help?
  • remardremard Member Posts: 3
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 and had a few problems synching the phone. I tried several times but the car never acknowledged the sych after I entered the code and the bluetooth wizard on the phone seemed to complete successfully.

I finaaly decided to try making a call after the wizard completed but before the car would start the process over again and somehow it worked. I haven't had any problems since.
    Although some have has\d success, others not, the "process' actually stinks, as Toyota cannot seem to offer any solutions. New 7.1 DVD is out, not for Camry Hybrid though, wonder if that 'update' offers solutions to the many issues.
  • ncalmike76ncalmike76 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any luck with syncing contacts from an iPhone to the bluetooth nav in the TCH? ;)
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    so no one knows how to transfer phone book info into the memory of the 09 or 08 TCH bluetooth hookup?
    I also tried yesterday and nothing....
  • polgrizpolgriz Member Posts: 2
    I just got the 2009 Hybrid and I also have an Iphone and can't figure out how to transfer the contacts to the car. Have you figured it out?
  • agitatedantagitatedant Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have set up one primary phone on bluetooth but unfortunantly this is my work phone. When I would like to use my personal phone, I would like to be able to switch easily. Currently, I have to re-"install" the phone every time I want to switch. Is there any easy way I am missing or does the Bluetooth only work with 1 phone?
  • alw1alw1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi David,

I just got a 2009 TCH and set up my Virgin Slice with the Bluetooth. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced. The sound is great both ways on incoming calls but when I initiate a call using phone by number by voice command I cannot be heard by the recipient.

I not your message was posted in January. Have you resolved the problem? If so, I's love to know how.

Thanks.
    Al Wasserman
  • adviceseekeradviceseeker Member Posts: 6
    Hi there. When I bought my TCH in Oct. '08 I was told you could use two phones with the Blue Tooth. But I recently went to two different service centers, and both said it can only use one. BYW, I am also having difficulty with my Blue Tooth. When I first bought it, everyone heard me just fine and my voice commands went smoothly. Now people have difficulty hearing me, and I don't even bother with voice commands any more since the computer spits back ridiculous numbers to me.
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    Al (and David),

I'm having the same issue in my 2008 NAH with a Virgin Super Slice. I've done some digging and it appears it's a fatal flaw due to Virgin crippling the bluetooth capabilities on their phones. It appears to be a problem mainly with cars that have factory bluetooth setups. I have had success with my Super Slice and a Magellan 4040 Nav unit so it will work with bluetooth hands free devices, just not (some?) factory units.

It's a bit of a bummer because I just bought these two new phones about 6 months ago. We're going to give T-Mobile a shot since they use 'real' phones, most of which are listed on (for me) Nissan's website as being compatible. We're going to start with a Motorola V195 and see how it works. Nice thing is with T-Mobile is if you buy $100 in air time it's good for 1000 minutes and lasts for a year, so 10c per minute.

Anyway, good luck finding something that works in your new car.

Ed
  • prototypicalprototypical Member Posts: 2
    I have a LG VX8600 through Verizon. And I'm trying to pair it to my 09 TCH with no luck so far.

I've tried the pairing process dozens of times, with 2 mild successes (pair did not hold). I took it to the Dealer with no luck (my salesman was able to pair his Blackberry though). I called Verizon tech support, they wouldn't help (not one of their products). toyota.letstalk.com also was no help, all they wanted to do is go through the step by step process written in the manual. :mad:

The funny thing is that the both Letstalk and the Verizon sites say that this phone is supposed to be compatible. :confuse:

Lastly, considering that I can upgrade my contract in November. Is there an accurate listing some where that has truly compatible phones?
  • erniemerniem Member Posts: 3
    For Toyota you can find your phone capabilities by going to "toyota.letstalk.com"
    Most phones will not transfer the entire phone book however many will transfer one phone book entry at a time. You can also watch a video on your toyota at
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/demos/bluetooth.html
    I hope that this is useful.
    Perhaps your system is faulty. I would have the dealer since it is under warranty check the system out and make sure that it pairs with A phone. Any. The LG 8600 is probably to new to be on the site but the LG 8500 says that it should pair just fine. My advice is exercise your warranty rights and make the dealer show you that it works.
    Good Luck.
    On toyota.letstalk.com your phone is listed under palm and sprint. Have you tried calling their support number 1-866-875-3987?
  • loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    you have to manually switch phones when there are two that you have entered into the system--it automatically searches for the one that you have selected...

I got a new LG Vue after we bought the TCH and had a little problem getting it connected initially--had to delete my other phone--
    system for doing that is not intuitive--frustrating at time--
    with both phones (mine and DH's) in the TCH memory--it goes for the one that was highlighted the last time--that is the default
    if your husband's was used and you are riding solo--it won't automatically pick up your phone--it is waiting for his...
  • carolgraycarolgray Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2009 TCH. My Kyocera Strobe K612B automatically connects with ease, and probably 75% of the time it works fine. However, the other 25% of the time, when a call begins to come in it immediately disconnects my phone. Any suggestions?
  • prototypicalprototypical Member Posts: 2
    I was finally able to pair my phone. It works fine after the pairing process. But if I shut down my TCH and leave the vehicle it no longer works. The Profile is still in the phone and the TCH's Bluetooth setup. But for some reason it wont detect each other.

The dealer had no ideas, and so have I. unless there's a major breakthrough in the near future (or I get a new phone) I'm probably going to ignore the hands-free.
  • golfman69golfman69 Member Posts: 1
    Its not the cars bluetooth.The problem is in the phone.Make sure you have the bluetooth setting on always connect. I have 4 toyota and a new Lexus. I am a pro at this...plus working for Toyota for 20 years helps...I have paired that phone dozens of times..It will hold the programming. If your settings are set correct...Its the phone
  • mk4040mk4040 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 TCH and have had the same problem. It took me a long time to figure out that my voice was killed to my callers whenever the auto climate control - a/c was turned on. When I turn it off, my callers begin hearing me again. Obviously, there is some sort of interference between the climate control system and voice transmission. I have yet to discuss this with the dealer and to force the issue under my warranty.

Mark K
  • hblurhblur Member Posts: 5
    A guy I know who is in a wheelchair asked me a question about Bluetooth. He is getting a Toyota Sienna which is outfitted with a ramp and driving gear since he is in a wheelchair and has only partial use of his arms and of use to his legs.
    The Bluetooth in the Sienna is (I think) like that on my 2007 RAV4: not entirely hands free. You have to hit the “off hook” switch to answer a call and have to hit a button to say a name and hit another to make a call.
    The problem is that he cannot hit those switches. He needs it to be completely hands free.
    Would anyone know if this can be accomplished?
    Ear pieces are bad, too, since they usually have to be activated with a finger touch, so far as I know..
    Thank you in advance for any light you might shed on this.
    We can all "play the game".....I do PC/Network support for a living, I deal with hardware and software manufacturers on a daily basis for over 1 years.
    Toyota is just blowing everyone off.
    It don't work, none of it, my Garmin work flawlessly.
    How do we get our money back, or a car with things that work?
    We don't, unless a class action lawsuit is started, or, enough people band together to be heard, publicly.
    Remember, Toyota is now #1.....what happened when GM was #1, does anyone remember all the nightmare support for everything?
    It's no different for anything else from microwaves, TV's, furniture, PC's, everything.
    RSN (real soon now) is when it may be addressed, if not just abandoned before a newer/better one is replaced.
    Oh well, we all could be living in some other part of the world and have no voice, right?