Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Bluetooth/Phone Questions

keverkever Member Posts: 4
Hello all

I am new to this group but have been reading the posts for the past three months. I recently picked up my Camry Hybrid. So far all is going well expect my ability to pair my Treo 650 to the hands free function in the car. Have anyone paired a Treo 650? If so, please help me. I know how to pair other others to the phone. It looks like the phone picks up the device. After entering the code and clicking ok the phone appears to be fine. The speaker in the car just keeping saying something like still searching. Then it says the search has failed.

Can anyone help me.

I checked the software version and it says Trea650 - 1.04a-VZW. I am on Verizon.

Many Thanks in Advance

Comments

• orgalorgal Member Posts: 27
    The bluetooth in my TCH worked like a charm - autoconnecting, when I entered the car, etc. Until I paired up my husband's phone - so we had two phones registered. Now neither phone seems to be autoconnecting... Any hints?
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    Did you go to the "Select Telephone" screen and choose the right phone? You need to go to that screen anytime you will be using a phone other than the last one that was connected to the car.
  • ehaszehasz Member Posts: 15
    To anyone who thinks they are some how not taking an extra risk when driving and talking on the phone -- even handsfree:

Everyone thinks they are an exception to the "statistic".

You probably aren't, though.
    Did you go to the "Select Telephone" screen and choose the right phone? You need to go to that screen anytime you will be using a phone other than the last one that was connected to the car.

Yep, I will have been in the car with the phone connected. I'll turn the car off, then turn it back on, and it won't auto connect. I have to go in and reselect the phone. I didn't have to do that before I added the second phone. Does yours autoconnect to the last phone used?
  • hueristixhueristix Member Posts: 30
    "To anyone who thinks they are some how not taking an extra risk when driving and talking on the phone -- even handsfree:

Everyone thinks they are an exception to the "statistic".

You probably aren't, though."

Ok, I'm gonna say this ... one time!

My original point was not that there was no added risk, life is all about risks and those we choose to take or not. Some people eat Big Macs- I consider a phone call on the road less risky. Ok bad unrelated example, but you get the point. If you want to avoid added risk, you wouldn't be in a car in the first place- otherwise you are deluding yourself because even if you maintain perfect control of the vehicle, you are at the mercy of the distracted, but also the sick, the too young, and the too old. (no phones, huge risks) What is worse, phone-yap or driving with intermitantly failing eyesight?

My original point was that talking on a hands free phone setup with speed dialing, etc, is just as safe as trying to haul 3 screaming kids around.

In fact, a REAL passenger could definitely be considered more distracting than one on the phone. So if we are going to go around making all practices that put others at risk illegal, what I was trying to originally say was, don't punish me because I have a Treo and not screaming kids watching f*kin spongebob in the back seat, a cup of coffee (no coffee in MY whip- unacceptable risk), death metal, an imaginary friend, a nose-hair trimmer, a bagel, an ipod, or not because I am simply an uncoordinated moron.

Furthermore, I AM a statistic, but you haven't said which one I might be- if 20% of people talking on cell phones can't focus and crash- why can't I be one of the other 80%? Even if it is 90% (which it is NOT) why couldn't I be one of the 10%?

If I can't talk on the hands free than talking to a passenger should be totally illegal, yep, yep, and they should fine ya', then fine ya' again and lock ya' up. If that doesn't work, they should fine you a huuuge amount, take away your license, give your car to charity, then lock ya' up, then execute ya'.

If worse comes to worse I can become a ventriloquist, the cops won't be able to tell I am on the phone!

Until then save your preaching.
  • m0t0rm0uthm0t0rm0uth Member Posts: 10
    Since I am apparently unwilling (or incapable) to RTFM (Read the "fine" manual) can anyone tell me if two different bluetooth capable phones can be used through the Nav unit or is it just one.

I have a bluetooth capapable phone and am thinking of buying my wife a new phone which is also Bluetooth capable. If mine rings I can answer it through the JBL unit but not sure if I can set hers up to do the same thing since mine already is.....OR will the JBL unit only accept a single phone pairing.

I am not asking if we can both talk handsfree at the same time as I know that is not possible.

Clarification Point:
    (at least not through the JBL because outside the car every time I say something she is also talking telling me what to do, when to do it or how to do it better........In fact on further reflection, it seems that she is pretty much talking all the time. However, I'm not sure about what because I rarely pay attention but I am smart enough to realize that when the tone sharpens and the whistles, clicking and other droning noises increase and get closer together I better nod yes dear or something)....LMAO
  • pitchafitpitchafit Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Ok, I am new at this as well as my new TCH...I am a Verizon user and need to get a bluetooth cap phone for my TCH. I don't see any Verizon cell phones on the recommended list of phones....does anyone have a Verizon cell that works with my TCH? Also...my voice recco sheet states that I could verbal out "warmer, cooler. etc.." I don't think this verbal command works in my TCH...does anyone have this capacity to use voice control on internal enviromental controls...."
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    Ok, I am new at this as well as my new TCH...I am a Verizon user and need to get a bluetooth cap phone for my TCH. I don't see any Verizon cell phones on the recommended list of phones....does anyone have a Verizon cell that works with my TCH? Also...my voice recco sheet states that I could verbal out "warmer, cooler. etc.." I don't think this verbal command works in my TCH...does anyone have this capacity to use voice control on internal enviromental controls...."

I just signed up with Verizon TODAY. Got the Motorola E815 phone w/Bluetooth. Went out to the parking lot, and within a few minutes had successfully configured the phone/car BT interface without consulting the manual. I then used the touchscreen to dial home and leave a message. Pretty cool to hear the answering machine coming through the car speakers, and then be able to talk handsfree! When I got home, the quality of my voice on the machine was loud and clear.

I still haven't looked at voice commands for Nav, climate, phone, etc., so can't give you any answers there. Plan to look at that stuff ASAP now that I have the full complement of toys. :D
    I have two bluetooth phones "registered" with the TCH. At first I had problems getting my phone to autoconnect with my phone again, but I played with it, and must have hit the autoconnect button a few times, and now it works great. (I have a Samsung 920-sprint).. and I have to say I think the bluetooth phone part is one of the coolest parts of the car!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    No problems with my Verizon Razr, paired up the first try. Works very well- voice recognition is quite good- I programmed in a few numbers- no mistakes. I like the speed dial buttons- nice idea.

Good luck!

tom
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    No problem linking my Verizon Samsung 850 with TCH. However, can figure out how to upload the phonebook. Everytime I get to the last step, the Bluetooth disenages. Soon as cancel the upload, Bluetooth links up again! Anybody have solution???
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    I have Sprint/Nextel and just got a LG LX350 and it works just fine with the TCH. The phone directory function doesn't seem to work but the calls are just fine.
    :)
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    If the Bluetooth system is anything like that of the Prius', you inititate the phone book entry transfer from the NAV screen, Bluetooth disconnects, and then you go to your phone, select the phone book entry you want to send, hit send (should prompt you for the device you are sending to), Bluetooth will reconnect, transfer the data, disconnect from Bluetooth, and then reconnect again.

I believe the reason for the multiple disconnects and reconnects is because of the mode you are in. When the car is normally paired for hands free use, it can't do data (object) exchange of phone book entries. You essentially have to drop out of the hands free mode and get into data (object) exchange mode.

This should be documented in the manual somewhere...
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    I did not find the instructions to be very clear, but after playing with it for a while I do believe I did something like you mentioned. I was able to transfer my entire phonebook in a matter of seconds. It is a very cool feature if your phone supports it. I researched this ahead of time and got the Sony/Ericsson W600i which I knew had the one button phonebook transfer functionality.
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    We picked up our Mag Gray on Friday; had to push a button on our garage door opener to enable homelink. No luck yet transferring phonebook from Motorola E815 phone; has anyone done that yet? (I'll break down and call Verizon tomorrow.)
  • stevevillatorostevevillatoro Member Posts: 30
    See greenhybrid.com > Discuss > Toyota Camry Hybrid > Phone Book Transfers for a step-by-step explanation of how to transfer your phone data. Although it works, I found it easier to manually enter my contacts.
    Thanks for this lead; I will try it in the morning. I suspect it transfers only one phone number at a time, which defeats the point. Meanwhile, Toyota Tech Support says no Verizon bluetooth phone can transfer one's phonebook. I e-mailed Verizon, asked if they are resolving fast or alternatively are willing to lose all Toyota owners.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Verizon has a problem with giving full bluetooth functionality to their phones.

I gave them the boot 17 months ago.

They don't care either!!!!!!!!!
    I finally got to the bottom of this issue. Verizon customers: If you want to transfer your phonebook electronically, you must have a PDA-type phone. See message from Verizon below.
    Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your OBEX question. We apologize for any confusion. The agreements we have with our Get It Now content providers preclude our allowing anyone to download applications beyond the phone. It is for this reason that none of our Get It Now enabled Bluetooth capable handsets have Bluetooth Object Exchange (OBEX) or file transfer capabilities enabled. Only our PDA-based handsets such as the XV6700, Treo 700w/700p, Motorola Q, etc. have OBEX enabled.
  • babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    When it reaches the point where the phone has completed the pairing process and the car says "still searching", then make a phone call from the phone and it should be picked up by the car's bluetooth. At that point, it's paired for good.
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    Babyrocket... check the Bluetooth thread on this board. I believe there is information on Treos there.
  • keverkever Member Posts: 4
    Thanks!! It worked.

Kever
  • germanumpgermanump Member Posts: 5
    I have also had problems pairing my Treo 650 with Blue Tooth. I tried the method described by a previous post (kever) and was able to pair the phone with Blue Tooth. I placed a call from the phone and was able to hear and talk hands-free.
    The only problem is that when I hung up the call, I lost the pairing. I tried to pick up the phone from Blue Tooth for another call and got a message saying that there is no phone connected.
    Any more advice would be muchly appreciated.
  • dwight_burchakdwight_burchak Member Posts: 3
    Hello Smart TCH owers...

I have a Treo 650. I set it up one day in my '07 TCH and all was grand. Since then (for no apperant reason) it has stopped working. I have removed and re-connected it multiple times, to no avail. The manual is of no use to me at all. Any hints from the crowd?

Thanks in advance folks,

dB
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Hello Smart TCH owers... Any hints from the crowd?
    Uhhh, you'll have to ask one of the "smarter" TCH owners :)
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    hope this helps...with your phone on...take out battery for a minute...replace battery...turn phone back on...then try and connect with TCH...that is what i did with my razr v3...take care
  • johnmcneelyjohnmcneely Member Posts: 8
    I'm expecting my TCH on July 31st. It is non-Nav. I have several photocopied sheets from the dealer that explain the system but I don't underestand if the non-nav display has the phonebook that I hear so much about that some phones upload to and others don't. The only phone on the Toyota Letstalk website for the Camry is a RAZR V3. That is an expensive and delicate phone I hear...you drop it and its done for. Can anyone explain this phone book issue? Thanks.
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I think any bluetooth phone should work. The phonebook exists, but I was not able to update it automatically from my phone, I had to input the names one-by-one.
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    I have the Motorola E815 and it work fine with my non-nav TCH. The Blue-tooth works great. Though I have not tried the phonebook feature. When I get a call I just hit the off-hook switch on the steering wheel and talk. :)
    My bluetooth Treo 650 is working and connects if I have the bluetooth active on my Treo 650. The only problem i am running into now is that no signal displays on the strength meter on the car. Some calls are very good and others are very weak. Is there anything I can do with the phone system to improve this issue?

Many Thanks in Advance!!!

Kever
    My bluetooth Treo 650 is working and connects if I have the bluetooth active on my Treo 650. The only problem i am running into now is that no signal displays on the strength meter on the car. Some calls are very good and others are very weak. Is there anything I can do with the phone system to improve this issue?

Many Thanks in Advance!!!

Kever
  • hybridguyhybridguy Member Posts: 3
    My wife found a solution! She simply paired the phone during a call. :shades:
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    i have a V360 that paired fine with my 2 previous Acura Tls for the last year. In the first 10 days with my TCH it has dropped the paring twice, and what a pain to get it to repair. Anyone else have a V360 paired with a Camry?
  • aldelfinoaldelfino Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem. I have not found anyone with a solution. Does Toyota have a tech support number? I will be looking for one.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Car: $30,000

Cell Phone: Free or $100

I think you guys have the cart before the horse. :P

Buy a new phone.
    You are correct. The Toyota customer experience center said that Verizon phones are the problem. Perhaps Verizon will upgrade the Bluetooth capability to match the car. Right now they don't work. Buy a new phone would be nice. Got a model number in mind?
    The newer Verizon models are mostly compatiable, I believe, from Motorola and LG, I beleive...depends on if you want a phone, or the hybrid PDA/Phone/MP3 player.....here is the Verizon link for that: http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Chart_Handsets.pdf

The RAZR or Chocolate will work, it looks like. :)
    I checked all the phone and their compatibility with TCH and it was 100% no phone book transfer. So to keep trying is futile.
    Well, call me old fashioned, but I just use my RAZR and Bluetooth headset, works fine for me. ;)
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    I use Verizon and found the Motorola E815 works great with the TCH. I don't have NAV, and manually entered a few numbers into the TCH phone book. I believe the non-NAV phonebook only holds 20 numbers.

For the most part, I just dial the number (often from my E815's phonebook) and the TCH's handsfree bluetooth picks up the call almost instantly.
    Exactly.

My RAZR has voice dialing, so all I have to do is say "Call Mike Stevens" or simply say the area code and numbers for anyone. Much less hassle.....
  • sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    Just upgraded from a Nokia 3595 to a bluetooth Nokia 6103. It works like a dream with the TCH. Cost, $29.00 Canadian which is the same price as the case. When I complained, I was told there is no 3 year contract with the case..... :-(
    But, I am not complaining, my friends are blown away when I demonstrate how well the tch voice system works. I just love it!
    Well, you are in Canada. All due respect. :P
    But, I am not complaining, my friends are blown away when I demonstrate how well the tch voice system works. I just love it!
    I'm curious, I have not tried it, but when you log into the NAV in say French, is the voice in French or just the screen? I assume since they sell these in Northern Canada it would have a French voice?
  • amareshamaresh Member Posts: 2
    Hi.I have a similar problem.Initially i was really excited about the blue tooth feature.I took out my sony treo and went to the settings of the TCH blue tooth phone screen.My sony treo picked up the handsfree device and once i click on my cell phone it even asks me to enter the pass key.Now i enter 1111 which is displayed on the nav screen.My phone then says connecting for a few seconds and after that the screen disappears and says that the phone is actually connected to the TCh but the connecting screen on nav screen with passkey never really goes away.So it never connects.I tried this multiple number of times but i end up in the same black hole.I even took my car to the dealership.He was able to connect TCh successfully to motorola and some other phone but not to my sony treo and said that the bluetooth in the phone is working fine --said that theres a problem in phone.But the phone connects wonderfully to other bluetooth enabled ear pieces.I still couldn't understand as to whats wrong?
    On my Motorola, there is no need to enter a password...maybe you need to skip that part of it..... :confuse:
  • malpert1malpert1 Member Posts: 6
    i have a razor bluetooth where are steps to link it to the car?
    I am electronically challenged and was able to follow the steps in the owners manual to link my wifes RAZR.

However I believe there is a password (0000?) that was needed at one point. My son told me that.
  • kiehlkiehl Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my Camry Hybrid July 2007 and immediately paired my Verizon LG 8300. That part went pretty well…. I thought it was cool, but when I could call someone they would say that I sounded very distant and they could not hear me well. It was annoying to me to continue to repeat myself and disheartening as I thought that this would be a nice feature. I left a message on my answering machine and I would have to agree. When I used the phone without the Bluetooth speakerphone though the car everything is very clear and no complaints. I didn't pursue it because I just thought that the technology is just not up to my expectations. Now, quickly browsing this forum it appears that some people may be getting good clear performance? Am I wrong? Is anyone experiencing good clear communication? Please let me know!
    I think my sound is a lot better than the stand alone hands free speaker I have on my work vehicle. I have had no complaints with my connection.