Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Blazer Warning Lights and Gauges

Comments

• thesweetrosslgthesweetrosslg Member Posts: 28
    im gona have them check that stuff this weekend i thinkn i called them back and asked about maybe the head being cracked and they sayd for sure that is not bad becouse if it was they would have found a leak for sure
  • sgagnersgagner Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a Balzer S10 1994 with a broken speedometer cluster. It seems like it is the power supply that fails for some reason. There is power on the incoming cords but the instrument is all black.
    Any ideas of where to find repair information since nobody here in Sweden seems to know how to repair this.
  • hawkeyefanhawkeyefan Member Posts: 1
    Alright I need some serious suggestions. My 98 blazer LS has had a ton of problems but this one is weird. As soon as it gets dark the cd player, temp guage, and speedometer guages all turn off and I am driving in pitch black. They work fine during the day so obviously it isnt a fuse. Can anyone help or give me a suggestion?

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are a dozen or so broken speedometer posts in the Blazer maintenance discussion but no real solutions that I saw in a brief skim.

One post points to the speed sensor:

ultragb, "Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Maintenance and Repair" #1663, 24 Oct 2005 9:34 am

You can use the Search This Discussion box in that discussion to read the rest of the speedometer posts.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Okay, not to be a smart @$$, but are you sure the dimmer is not turned all the way down? If that is the case, when the daylight sensor on the dash switches the headlights on, the dashlights will go out.

Just a thought. :)
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    That sensor is mounted on the top of the dash in the middle of the defroster grill (little gray knub). All dimming is done in the headlight switch and they do fail and only $55 so if the dimmer is not off, that probably is it.
  • sgagnersgagner Member Posts: 2
    Is this the digital dash - assume so as 94 was last year and many problems with them and the circuit card so look online and several sites rebuild it for about $150 US.
  • connypaconnypa Member Posts: 2
  • gader4gader4 Member Posts: 1
    Hawkeye Fan, did you ever 100% diagnose your dashlight problem? I am having the exact same problem on my '98 Blazer LT. From many other posts, I see that repairdog has suggested that the headlight switch assembly is the culprit; was this indeed the cause of the problem in your vehicle? If so/if not, what was the remedy?
  • henslow17henslow17 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and I seem to have a similar Issue... When driving with the A/C on, the temp gets to approx. 220... So i turn off the A/C and as soon as a go down to idle... Trying to Accel it sounds as if the Engine is cold (making a loud roaring sound) & i am unable to go over 30... After a while that stops and the Temp goes down but never back to normal unless it sits for an hour or so... Any Ideas gentlemen? :sick:
  • fhamericafhamerica Member Posts: 6
    Change the Dex cool, new thermostat and Stant 16lb cap. Also make sure no water leaks at water pump and lower intake gasket - so before you do anything get the free loaner radiator pressure tester and when the vehicle is cool pump it up and see if pressure holds, if not find leak. From post sounds like teh fan clutch works as they lock up as temp goes too high and at startup in hot weather.
  • rfabiszewsrfabiszews Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 chevrolet blazer 4x4 and the security light comes on steady when im driving what can the problem be ?
    Bad connector in the steering column and its the wiring but called the ign switch that most likely causes it. Amazed it starts and runs still.
  • dstefannidstefanni Member Posts: 1
    we connect a new ign switch and now security light its on and the truck doesn't start ....
  • denise17denise17 Member Posts: 2
  • denise17denise17 Member Posts: 2
    Recently my blazer has been making a clunk noise somewhere in the front. Sometimes I can even feel it on the floor board. I think it might have something to do with my front differential. Also, my battery light keeps flashing on and off every once in a while. I think that might have something to do with my alternator. Does anyone know about how much this will cost to fix. I love my blazer, but with it starting to have issues I'm thinking about getting something else.
  • iluvmuddniluvmuddn Member Posts: 1
    MY 4X4 GOES ON AND OFF WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD.AT FIRST IT WAS JUST THE LIGHTS TURNING ON AND OFF.WHEN WE TOOK IT TO DEALERSHIP THEY FIXED THE 4X4 BUT COULDNT GET THE LIGHTS TO STOP BLINKING OVER AND OVER.NOW THE 4X4 ACTUALLY COMES ON WHILE DRIVING.HOW CAN I GET IT TO STOP COMING ON AND OFF?THE DEALERSHIP DOESNT KNOW WHAT HEY ARE DOING!!!! ">
  • volcervolcer Member Posts: 2
  • zachhzachh Member Posts: 3
    Today I was driving and this random light came on, I'm not sure when. But its like the side view of a person sitting in a seat with a seatbelt with a circle. I would have looked in my owners manual but I don't have one. Here's a picture.

http://i8.tinypic.com/6btnfbd.jpg

thanks!
    Looks like an airbag light.
    so does this mean i have to go and get somethign fixed?
    Another Blazer owner can give you a better answer, but yeah, I think you need to have it checked out to make sure the airbag is still working.

This post suggests it could just be a bad connection or fuse:

repairdog, "Chevrolet Blazer GMC Jimmy Transmission Problems" #32, 24 Jan 2007 3:32 pm
    That lamp indicates a fault in the airbag deployment circuit, ie the airbag may not deploy when triggered. I would suggest having a dealer look at it. Poke the wrong spot with a voltmeter and POP goes the airbag.
  • chevynut74chevynut74 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 blazer same issue "security light" on and will not stsrt. How have you remedied your problem? Any help appreciated!!!!
  • cupiekingcupieking Member Posts: 1
    Repairdog,
    I have had a problem with this system for the last 5-6 months. I have taken it to a couple of mechanics and they seem to be more concerned with diagnostic costs rather than fixing my vehicle. I saw your post on the part #'s and the how tos of fixing this particular problem. I got into it and realized that the 30 amp fuse was blown and replaced it. The first start up after the fuse replacement it blew again. Is this something you might be able to help me with? Anyone? I need to also know if this is something that I need to fix before I drive across the country. Anyone with any advice it is greatly appreciated. I am moving on military orders at the end of the month so time is crucial. The trouble code was P0410.
    Thanks
  • beyondtime024beyondtime024 Member Posts: 5
    Okay here goes!! I had a bad heater core and removed the dash to replace it, last time I will ever do that!! It's a 98 blazer 4wheel drive!! So I put everything back in and it starts up and runs fine but now my temp gauge does not work my fuel gauge does not work, my background light behind the gear indicator to let you know what gear it's in does not work, and my whole 4 whel drive cluster will light up except for the indicator light and does not work at all, does not switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Okay here goes!! I had a bad heater core and removed the dash to replace it, last time I will ever do that!! It's a 98 blazer 4wheel drive!! So I put everything back in and it starts up and runs fine but now my temp gauge does not work my fuel gauge does not work, my background light behind the gear indicator to let you know what gear it's in does not work, and my whole 4 whel drive cluster will light up except for the indicator light and does not work at all, does not switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • kbcarkbcar Member Posts: 2
    Last night driving home - using the right turn signal it was flashing like it was on speed!!!

Got out looked turn signal works front and back. Looked in the book an no mention of the light signal flashing this fast.

HELP

Thanks,
    Kris :)
  • kbcarkbcar Member Posts: 2
    1999 Chevy Blazer sorry forgot that.
  • billypreschoolbillypreschool Member Posts: 1
    I just had the exact same thing happen with my 2000 Blazer ZR2. I removed the dash to replace heater core and when I put dash back in and put everything back together I had the exact same symptoms. I ended up removing my dash two more times trying to find the problem.
    Somehow now, im not sure why, when I open the passenger side door It will blow the fuse for my push button 4wd-domelight. So for a quick fix I just disconnected the wire going to the plunger at the door.
    I was able to get my guages working but im not sure how, That lasted about a month now there out again!!!!!!!!!
    This may be going in the complete opposite direction but after looking around online im kinda leaning towards a bad igintion switch.
    Please let me know if you find anything
    YYEEESSSS I figured it out!!! It was in the wire box that conects all of the wires from the dash to the computer!!! There are three different connections but the one that was bad was behind the glove box!!! All I had to do was loosen the bolt that sandwiches the two halves together, disconnect it and look to see which wires were pulled out just a little more than the rest and used a screwdriver from the other side to push it until it looked like the rest of the prongs!!! I also had a wired that was completely pulled out of the harness, I just cut the wire and wired it direct!! Long story short, don't get pissed off and just start pulling on the dash like a maniac to get it out!! Better yet take it to a shop!!!!if you have any ?'s email me!!!!
  • titoctitoc Member Posts: 1
    Dude, just had the same problem with my 2001. I dont know if you tried already but,i reversed flushed the heater core with water and now the heat works fine.There was some gunk caked in there that shot out like a rocket when i did this causing the blockage of coolent flow thourgh the core .http://www.chevroletforum.com/upfiles/13312/05CE0996D5A54078B6D49EAEA08CB32F.jp- g This is the link with the info you might need, good luck.....
  • lanneylanney Member Posts: 1
    how do i reset this with out going to the mechanic?
  • traifordtraiford Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2001 Blazer from my boss. Stopped at store , then it wouldn't start. Finally got it jumped and as I was driving the dash lights and guages were going crazy. Every dash lights turning on, flashing, fuel, speedo, and tach would drop out and then come back . Took it to Autozone and they said alt. diodes were bad. Put on new alternator ...same thing. At idle everthing seems fine. Once I accelerate the dash goes crazy. Here is the really stange thing...I put it in drive...stand on brake and rev the engine to 2K rpms and no problems...its only when it accelerates with movement. FYI the battery still won't charge.

Please HELP!!
  • joec121joec121 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry I can't help you on this, but wanted to add I have a 2004 Blazer and it just started doing the same thing on my way home from work today. I just dropped it off at the service center and won't have a diagnosis until tomorrow morning.

I am curious to here if anyone has any ideas on what would cause this.
    The statement that it doesn't act up with the car sitting still, but only moving, doesn't make any sense at all. The only thing that could possibly point to would be a loose electrical connection in the charging system that is getting jostled by passing wind while driving.

How many miles are on the Blazer?
    58000 miles on it. If I had to describe better what the dash looks likes it has the appreance that I was turning the key off and on, keeping in mind the motor runs fine. There is also a low volume high pitched sound as the engine revs. The sound changes pitch as the rpms get higher. Maybe I got a bad replacement alternator. Could a dead battery do this? It was real difficult to jump.
    A shorted battery could put such a load on the alternator as to cause the high pitched sound. Also a bad, or weak, alternator. Check the voltage of the battery with the engine off, then on. Should be around 12.6 off, 13.8-14.8 running. If the battery voltage is down around 10, there is a dead or shorted cell.

The gauges may be getting a low voltage to the cluster, and that will cause all sorts of problems, all of which generally correct themselves when the proper power conditions are restored.
    In my 51 years I have never seen a bad battery do the things this one did. Replace the alternator AND battery. All problems gone. Thanks for your help.
    Glad you are back up and running. Newer batteries can shed plates into the bottom of the battery causing shorts. The high current alternators we use these days will go to max output trying to charge the shorted battery and can burn themselves out doing so.

With today's more complicated systems, you really have to look close at a failure to determine if it is a cause or affect!

Jim
  • astudivantastudivant Member Posts: 4
    Hello I'm having a problem with my gauges. My fuel gauge is always jumping around unless it is full. And my speedometer has gone on the fritz. Ever since I went to Florida. When I got back home the needle didn't move until I got to about 30 mph then it jumped to 30. When I got lower than 30 the needle dropped back to 0. And then the needle won't move above 40 until I get to about 50 mph and the needle jumps to 70. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong. So I can get it fixed asap.
  • caridiot4caridiot4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer that I wasn't having any troubles with until I left the ignition on yesterday for a couple of hours. I had to jump start it. After driving it about 10 miles I turned it off again but the ignition key was left on again. After jump starting again I drove home (10 miles). This morning it started without a problem but after 9 hrs of sitting again it wouldn't start. I tried a couple of times and finally it started without a jump. However 45 minutes later it wouldn't start. 3 hours later it did. When it starts initally it seems a little slow, dash lights are kinda dim and the volt meter is around 11 or 12. However, it quickly jumps to 14 and the lights brighten and everything is normal. Is this a problem with my alternator or just a very weak battery??
    See the messages above regarding battery plate shorting.

If that battery is more than 3 years old, time for a new one.
  • tanvalistanvalis Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 89 S10 Blazer and the Dash Gauges aren't working. The lights come on... and the speedometer seems to be working. But the Oil Pressure, Temp, and Gas Gauge aren't working. I checked the fuse and it's fine. Any Ideas?
  • tanvalistanvalis Member Posts: 2
    Um... Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks...
  • aruskarusk Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have a 2002 Blazer and had the fuel pump replaced about six weeks back(July 08) Since then the engine light has been on. The dealer has checked it a few times and they keep telling me it is coming up with a code for the gas cap. I have had two different gas caps on it and still the light comes on. Any ideas thanks
  • sheps47sheps47 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2001 Blazer ZR2. For 2 days the security light was on, the 3rd day the check engine light came on and then the low fuel light. Check engine light was off the next time i got in it and then just the low fuel light. There is a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Next time I got in it, there were no lights. The vehicle is running fine, the lights are just going crazy....Any ideas what could cause this? A sensor or something?